Re: Pick one Heinlein

a425couple

Apr 22, 2014, 11:53:03 AM4/22/14
"Louann Miller" <loua...@yahoo.com> wrote in message...
> Yes, I'm making trouble today. The question is, supposing yourself to be a
> reader and re-reader of Heinlein's works, what if you had to limit
> yourself
> to *one* work for the rest of your Heinlein re-reading life?
>
> I think I'd go for "Citizen of the Galaxy," honestly. It's fun.

I understand "Citizen of the Galaxy" has appeal,
but before that one,
I'd pick "Starship Troopers",
next one down, "Glory Road",
then "The Star Beast".

MajorOz

Apr 22, 2014, 12:22:22 PM4/22/14
"Louann Miller" <loua...@yahoo.com> wrote in message...

> Yes, I'm making trouble today. The question is, supposing yourself to be a
> reader and re-reader of Heinlein's works, what if you had to limit
> yourself
> to *one* work for the rest of your Heinlein re-reading life?

What a mean, nasty challenge....

I don't WANNA be limited.

But....if so:

Gotta be Moon...

...or Starship Troopers...

...no, wait....Time Enough for Love...

Damn....

oz, feeling like I'm in a Python sketch....

a425couple

Apr 22, 2014, 4:31:20 PM4/22/14
"MajorOz" wrote in message...
> "Louann Miller" <loua...@yahoo.com> wrote in message...
>> Yes, I'm making trouble today. The question is, supposing yourself to be
>> reader and re-reader of Heinlein's works, what if you had to limit
>> yourself
>> to *one* work for the rest of your Heinlein re-reading life?
>
> What a mean, nasty challenge....
> I don't WANNA be limited.

Agreed.

> But....if so:
> Gotta be Moon...

You, and a number of others, said "Moon".
Am I correct in guessing you (all) mean "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" ?
(Rather than "The Man Who Sold the Moon", "Destination Moon"
or "Nothing Ever Happens on the Moon" ?)

> ...or Starship Troopers...
> ...no, wait....Time Enough for Love...
> Damn....
> oz, feeling like I'm in a Python sketch....

Good one.

MajorOz

Apr 22, 2014, 5:50:15 PM4/22/14
On Tuesday, April 22, 2014 3:31:20 PM UTC-5, a425couple wrote:

> Am I correct in guessing you (all) mean "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" ?

Yes
;>}

a425couple

Apr 22, 2014, 6:42:41 PM4/22/14
"Stephen Graham" <gra...@speakeasy.net> wrote in message...
> On 4/22/2014 8:17 AM, Louann Miller wrote:
>> Yes, I'm making trouble today. The question is, supposing yourself to be
>> reader and re-reader of Heinlein's works, what if you had to limit
>> yourself
>> to *one* work for the rest of your Heinlein re-reading life?
>>
>> I think I'd go for "Citizen of the Galaxy," honestly. It's fun.
>
> My shortlist would be:
> Double Star
> Stranger in a Strange Land (the edited version)
> Citizen of the Galaxy
>
> But what I'd probably wind up with would be
> Glory Road
> It has a little more fun than many other Heinlein novels, and I'd rather
> have that.

Yes, just a rollicking good adventure story.
Plus Oscar's way of viewing the things fate hands him
is very reminiscent of the way I'd always viewed my
youthful side trip through Southeast Asia.
Hey! it was a fully funded all inclusive tour by
Uncle Sam's Misguided Children!

djinn

Apr 24, 2014, 9:19:57 PM4/24/14
Glory Road, probably. Or maybe Starship Troopers, or ... Good thing I don't have to choose

Michael Black

Apr 25, 2014, 1:02:39 AM4/25/14
Then you want The Portable Heinlein (though that Viking series was mostly
excerpts and short pieces), or The Heinlein Omnibus.

If I was really stuck, then I'd probably pick "The Past Through Tomorrow"
since it has the most words.

Michael

Message has been deleted

kittent

Apr 25, 2014, 1:41:28 AM4/25/14
On Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:53:03 AM UTC-5, a425couple wrote:
> "Louann Miller" wrote in message...
>
> > Yes, I'm making trouble today. The question is, supposing yourself to be a
>
> > reader and re-reader of Heinlein's works, what if you had to limit
>
> > yourself
>
> > to *one* work for the rest of your Heinlein re-reading life?

I'd pick Stranger in a Strange Land...but I've always been a little crazy.

MajorOz

Apr 25, 2014, 1:45:10 AM4/25/14
Actually, my permanent solution -- even on the lost island -- is all of them in an e-reader....hooked to a solar charger.