thoughts - The Man Who Traveled In Elephants

a425couple

Mar 12, 2014, 2:10:50 PM3/12/14
While I had the book out
("The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag"),
I figured I ought to try the next short story,
"The Man Who Traveled In Elephants".

An OK, forever love story.
My feelings about it were probably neither helped,
nor hurt, by the fact that on page 5 (of 16)
I had it figured out / forseen.

The Man Who Traveled In Elephants
by Robert A. Heinlein
3.82 of 5 stars3.82 · rating details · 90 ratings · 1 review
Written may 1948.
First published in Saturn, October 1957 as The Elephant Circuit.
First collected into The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag, 1959.

or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Traveled_in_Elephants

from here
http://www.troynovant.com/Franson/Heinlein/Man-Who-Traveled-Elephants.html
I found this interesting thought,
' "The Man Who Traveled in Elephants" is a kind of gentle love poem
to America, the country of the Open Road, of county livestock fairs
and parades down Main Street, of cities which all are distinctive and
interesting to those who travel with open eyes. The tone is very like
many of Ray Bradbury's stories, an escape to the nostalgic world of a
childhood America barely out of reach in the past, but which really
does lie just outside the circumscribed scenes we live in every day. '

Yisroel Markov

Mar 12, 2014, 3:53:55 PM3/12/14
That's probably the best way to describe it.

Would the same reviewer invoke Poe in relation to Hoag?

--
Yisroel "Godwrestler Warriorson" Markov - Boston, MA Member
www.reason.com -- for a sober analysis of the world DNRC

a425couple

Mar 12, 2014, 6:30:25 PM3/12/14
"Yisroel Markov" <ey.m...@MUNGiname.com> wrote in message ...
> "a425couple" <a425c...@hotmail.com> said:
>>While I had the book out
>>("The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag"),
>>I figured I ought to try the next short story,
>>"The Man Who Traveled In Elephants".----
>>
>>An OK, forever love story.
>>My feelings about it were probably neither helped,
>>nor hurt, by the fact that on page 5 (of 16)
>>I had it figured out / forseen.
>>
>>The Man Who Traveled In Elephants
>>by Robert A. Heinlein
>>3.82 of 5 stars3.82 · rating details · 90 ratings · 1 review
>>Written may 1948.
>>First published in Saturn, October 1957 as The Elephant Circuit.
>>First collected into The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag, 1959.
>>
>>or
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Traveled_in_Elephants
>>
>>from here
>>http://www.troynovant.com/Franson/Heinlein/Man-Who-Traveled-Elephants.html
>>I found this interesting thought,
>>' "The Man Who Traveled in Elephants" is a kind of gentle love poem
>>to America, ---. The tone is very like
>>many of Ray Bradbury's stories,
>
> That's probably the best way to describe it.
>
> Would the same reviewer invoke Poe in relation to Hoag?

Hmmm, found it:
http://www.troynovant.com/Stoddard/Heinlein/Unpleasant-Profession-Hoag.html
Nope, no mention of Poe. (still NOT 'my thing'!)
"----- Glamour is the distinctive quality of the fairies, and the
Sons of the Bird are fairies of the modern, urban world. And
like fairies, they're soulless, amoral, and wantonly cruel, convinced
of their right to torment human beings for their convenience or amusement.
----What Heinlein has given us, in this story, is an early, and very dark,
example of urban fantasy."

Yisroel Markov

Mar 13, 2014, 12:30:24 PM3/13/14
On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 15:30:25 -0700, "a425couple"
<a425c...@hotmail.com> said:

>"Yisroel Markov" <ey.m...@MUNGiname.com> wrote in message ...
>> "a425couple" <a425c...@hotmail.com> said:

[snip]

>>>I found this interesting thought,
>>>' "The Man Who Traveled in Elephants" is a kind of gentle love poem
>>>to America, ---. The tone is very like
>>>many of Ray Bradbury's stories,
>>
>> That's probably the best way to describe it.
>>
>> Would the same reviewer invoke Poe in relation to Hoag?
>
>Hmmm, found it:
>http://www.troynovant.com/Stoddard/Heinlein/Unpleasant-Profession-Hoag.html
>Nope, no mention of Poe. (still NOT 'my thing'!)
>"----- Glamour is the distinctive quality of the fairies, and the
>Sons of the Bird are fairies of the modern, urban world. And
>like fairies, they're soulless, amoral, and wantonly cruel, convinced
>of their right to torment human beings for their convenience or amusement.
>----What Heinlein has given us, in this story, is an early, and very dark,
>example of urban fantasy."

IMHO it's more than that. To me, the scariest part was on the
penultimate page - that car window rolling down. It's the precursor to
the "World as myth" concept, and the Sons of Bird are really a minor
part.

Sean Gaeltach

May 9, 2014, 4:42:25 AM5/9/14
TMWTIE was one of RAH's favorites, according to an authoritative source.

Sean

loupgarous

May 12, 2014, 9:30:15 PM5/12/14
Reality DOES lie just outside the circumnscribed scenes we live in every day, because we don't know everything that's going on at any particular time, so we don't see everything.

I wonder if RAH wasn't trying to draw our attention to all the stuff we DON'T see, all the time, in our lives, by showing us a couple who does see it.

Vance