Slightly off....

MajorOz

Sep 23, 2015, 2:39:18 PM9/23/15
I just watched, after TIVO-ing it overnight, _Guardians Of The Galaxy_, a very kitchy flik from 2014, from Marvel studios.

Somewhat cheesy and made for the (cough,cough) younger set, but the graphics are very good.....which got me to wondering....

Is it time for someone who really gives a shit to make a star wars style series out of Blish's Cities in Flight ?

When I first, decades ago, read the novels, my imagery was, perhaps, greater than any I had experienced, even in The Master's works.

As today's movies purporting to be SF are all imagery, I speculate that, done right (and DONE IN DAYLIGHT, unlike all the cheap bastards seem to do) Amalfi could become as well known as Yoda.

Opinions ?

Will in New Haven

Sep 23, 2015, 2:58:12 PM9/23/15
Yes, it could be quite compelling. I don't think anyone will do it but it could work.

--
Will in New Haven

Nollaig MacKenzie

Sep 23, 2015, 8:02:10 PM9/23/15

On 2015.09.23 18:39:17,
the amazing <ozm...@gmail.com> declared:

> Is it time for someone who really gives a shit to
make a star wars style series out of Blish's Cities in Flight ?

It would be a wonderful subject. But I will
not let myself hope.

On the other hand, I have not read any CiF
in <mumble> years, so thank you - maybe
there's a Kindle Omnibus? Oh dear, I have
permitted myself hope.

Cheers, N.

--
Nollaig MacKenzie
http://www.yorku.ca/nollaig

Tony

Sep 23, 2015, 10:44:03 PM9/23/15
CiF would be good but I would think as a TV mini series. Just as The
Lensman books would be better as a TV series in the same vein as Babylon
5 - got a beginning, a middle, and an end. Keep the idea of a male based
Lens until the kids come on the scene but definitely include the part
with Virgil Samm's daughter to make clear why there will be no female
Lensmen until the future.

As for CiF, the beginning part might get cut if someone thinks there is
too much of a parallel with today's events.

Michael Black

Sep 23, 2015, 11:43:49 PM9/23/15
But since they went "Okie", it could also work as a series. Though how to
do that and yet keep it distinct in the style of the books is the issue.
Lots of shows do that "Wagon Train" sort of thing, keep the main
characters and move them so each week they can meet some new challenge.
Star Trek took it to the stars, but The Invaders did it on earth, the
aliens were just a method to keep him moving so he'd run into new people
and new problems in each town.

So they'd have to make sure that Cities in Flight as a tv series was
distinctive from "The Star Lost" which had the same basic form, albeit on
a lost 'generation ship".

Michael

Nollaig MacKenzie

Sep 24, 2015, 5:43:19 PM9/24/15