A question about "Friday"

James Krieger

Apr 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/28/98

In the second chapter of this book, where Friday has been captured and
is being interrogated, she talks a little bit about how a "professional"
deals with rape as part of the interogation process. She mentions that one
option, for those with "advanced training", is to "...emulate the ancient
Chinese adage." Does anyone know what this means?

Jim Krieger

Kris Hasson

Apr 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/28/98

Just a guess...Learn to enjoy the inevitable?
--
Kris (has...@teleport.com)

Beverley Eyre

Apr 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/28/98

In article <35465D...@teleport.com> Kris Hasson <has...@teleport.com> writes:
>From: Kris Hasson <has...@teleport.com>
>Newsgroups: alt.fan.heinlein
>Subject: Re: A question about "Friday"
>Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 22:44:05 GMT

Yes, That's it. Just sit back and enjoy the inevitable.

Bev

XPESFAN

Apr 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/29/98

The phrasing as RAH knew it is:
When rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it
I doubt he thought it was inevitable very often
The most you can do .... etc. The point is the specific reference to rape
beyond any what can't be cured must be endured approach to life.

carlos...@dks.com.br

Apr 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/29/98

In article <6i5gge$dgk$1...@news7.ispnews.com>,

"James Krieger" <jkri...@sover.net> wrote:

> In the second chapter of this book, where Friday has been captured and
> is being interrogated, she talks a little bit about how a "professional"
> deals with rape as part of the interogation process. She mentions that one
> option, for those with "advanced training", is to "...emulate the ancient
> Chinese adage." Does anyone know what this means?
"If you can't avoid it, then relax and enjoy." Heinlein used it in other
books too.

Simon Slavin

Apr 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/29/98

In article <6i5gge$dgk$1...@news7.ispnews.com>,
"James Krieger" <jkri...@sover.net> wrote:

> In the second chapter of this book, where Friday has been captured and
> is being interrogated, she talks a little bit about how a "professional"
> deals with rape as part of the interogation process. She mentions that one
> option, for those with "advanced training", is to "...emulate the ancient
> Chinese adage." Does anyone know what this means?

Advice to young girls undergoing rape: relax -- don't fight it.
Basically, that once you're actually being raped all you'll get
for fighting is more bruises.

Simon.
--
Simon Slavin -- Junk email hater. | [It] contains "vegetable stabilizer"
Junktrap deletes unread >4 UBEs/day.| which sounds ominous. How unstable are

William G. Jennings

Apr 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/30/98

James Krieger wrote:

> In the second chapter of this book, where Friday has been
> captured and
> is being interrogated, she talks a little bit about how a
> "professional"
> deals with rape as part of the interogation process. She mentions
> that one
> option, for those with "advanced training", is to "...emulate the
> ancient
> Chinese adage." Does anyone know what this means?
>

> Jim Krieger

I have a vague recollection of a Chinese adage that goes: The softest
thing in the Universe can overcome the hardest.

Will

Dave Stone

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

Simon Slavin <slavins.at.hearsay.demon.co.uk@localhost> wrote:

> Advice to young girls undergoing rape: relax -- don't fight it.
> Basically, that once you're actually being raped all you'll get
> for fighting is more bruises.

I have to say that I can't imagine *Heinlein* advocating any such thing
- or at least, that he would personally have far more respect for a rape
victim who fought scratching and biting all the way, even at the cost of
his/her own life.

I *don't* think he meant Friday's reaction to be taken as the correct
one - this was at the start of the book, remember, and one of his three
basic plots was a character who starts out stupid in some area or other
and learns better.

Indeed, my reading of the Friday theme in toto is that it's about a
woman who gets screwed, in various senses, by all and sundry until she
puts her foot down and realises, finally, that she simply doesn't have
to take it anymore.

--
Take care. Have fun. Is everybody go to utter horrible Oblivion.
http://www.sgloomi.demon.co.uk

Kali

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

I dissagree totaly.  I can't remember who wrote it, but "rage, rage against the
dieing of the light" is approprite.  I know that it's about dieing, but I think
that it works here just as well.

    As to why I dissagree, physical bruises and wounds would be as nothing to me
compared to the knoledge that I did not try to fight, no matter the hopelessness
of the situation.  Of course, I speek as a male, and as someone who has never
been raped.  <knock on wood>

Simon Slavin wrote:

> In article <6i5gge$dgk$1...@news7.ispnews.com>,

> "James Krieger" <jkri...@sover.net> wrote:
>
> >     In the second chapter of this book, where Friday has been captured and
> > is being interrogated, she talks a little bit about how a "professional"
> > deals with rape as part of the interogation process. She mentions that one
> > option, for those with "advanced training", is to "...emulate the ancient
> > Chinese adage." Does anyone know what this means?
>

> Advice to young girls undergoing rape: relax -- don't fight it.
> Basically, that once you're actually being raped all you'll get
> for fighting is more bruises.

Eric C. Sanders D. D.

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

On Fri, 1 May 1998 16:35:10 +0000, da...@sgloomi.demon.co.uk (Dave
Stone) wrote:

>Simon Slavin <slavins.at.hearsay.demon.co.uk@localhost> wrote:
>
>> Advice to young girls undergoing rape: relax -- don't fight it.
>> Basically, that once you're actually being raped all you'll get
>> for fighting is more bruises.
>

>I have to say that I can't imagine *Heinlein* advocating any such thing
>- or at least, that he would personally have far more respect for a rape
>victim who fought scratching and biting all the way, even at the cost of
>his/her own life.
>
>I *don't* think he meant Friday's reaction to be taken as the correct
>one - this was at the start of the book, remember, and one of his three
>basic plots was a character who starts out stupid in some area or other
>and learns better.
>
>Indeed, my reading of the Friday theme in toto is that it's about a
>woman who gets screwed, in various senses, by all and sundry until she
>puts her foot down and realises, finally, that she simply doesn't have
>to take it anymore.

A good, reasonable exegesis, I'd say.
"No matter where you go - there you are."
- Dr Buckaroo Banzai

Chris and Elisabeth Zakes

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

da...@sgloomi.demon.co.uk (Dave Stone) wrote:

>Simon Slavin <slavins.at.hearsay.demon.co.uk@localhost> wrote:
>
>> Advice to young girls undergoing rape: relax -- don't fight it.
>> Basically, that once you're actually being raped all you'll get
>> for fighting is more bruises.
>
>I have to say that I can't imagine *Heinlein* advocating any such thing
>- or at least, that he would personally have far more respect for a rape
>victim who fought scratching and biting all the way, even at the cost of
>his/her own life.

Might I suggest that "relaxing to the inevitable" is *one* way of
surviving a rape? Particularly if the rapist is armed.

As a disclaimer, I'm male, and have never even come close to being
raped, so my opinion may not be valid, but...
Given the choice between unpleasant sex with a rude stranger and
death, I'd choose the sex. It's less permanent.

-Chris Zakes
Texas

C and E Zakes
Tivar Moondragon (Patience and Persistence)
and Aethelyan of Moondragon (Decadence is its own reward)
moon...@bga.com

Eileen

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

Chris and Elisabeth Zakes <moon...@bga.com> wrote in article
<354a860a...@news2.bga.com>...

> da...@sgloomi.demon.co.uk (Dave Stone) wrote:
>
> >Simon Slavin <slavins.at.hearsay.demon.co.uk@localhost> wrote:
> >
> Might I suggest that "relaxing to the inevitable" is *one* way of
> surviving a rape? Particularly if the rapist is armed.
>
> As a disclaimer, I'm male, and have never even come close to being
> raped, so my opinion may not be valid, but...
> Given the choice between unpleasant sex with a rude stranger and
> death, I'd choose the sex. It's less permanent.
>
> -Chris Zakes
> Texas

Unfortunately, rape usually is not about sex, but control through violence.
Also if the rapist wants to kill as well, there's not much point to
"relaxing".

"Relaxing" (if possible in the situation) may be better during date rape.
--
Eileen

Matt Hickman

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

In <6iec4f$k...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>, "Eileen" <Datasphe...@worldnet.att.net> writes:

>Chris and Elisabeth Zakes <moon...@bga.com> wrote in article
>
>> Might I suggest that "relaxing to the inevitable" is *one* way of
>> surviving a rape? Particularly if the rapist is armed.
>
>Unfortunately, rape usually is not about sex, but control through violence.
>Also if the rapist wants to kill as well, there's not much point to
>"relaxing".

IIRC, Friday was referring to rape as a torture technique used within the
context of her profession. To her it was a professional risk and she had
the responsibility to survive and escape. Take a look at the way the L. M.
Bujold novel (forgot which one) treats Mark's torture and how his training
as an assasin allowed him to turn the tables on his torturer.

--
Matt Hickman
A wise man should be prepared to abandon his baggage at any time.

RicknMers

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

Eileen <Datasphe...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in article
<6iec4f$k...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

> Chris and Elisabeth Zakes <moon...@bga.com> wrote in article

> <354a860a...@news2.bga.com>...
> > da...@sgloomi.demon.co.uk (Dave Stone) wrote:
> >
> > >Simon Slavin <slavins.at.hearsay.demon.co.uk@localhost> wrote:
> > >

> > Might I suggest that "relaxing to the inevitable" is *one* way of
> > surviving a rape? Particularly if the rapist is armed.
> >

> > As a disclaimer, I'm male, and have never even come close to being
> > raped, so my opinion may not be valid, but...
> > Given the choice between unpleasant sex with a rude stranger and
> > death, I'd choose the sex. It's less permanent.
> >
> > -Chris Zakes
> > Texas
>

> Unfortunately, rape usually is not about sex, but control through
violence.
> Also if the rapist wants to kill as well, there's not much point to
> "relaxing".

Eileen, I think he means that if you are being raped by some unspeakable
that has a knife to your throat or a gun to your head it is in your best
interest not to fight back, assuming you want to improve your chances of
living through the experience. This also gives you opportunity to hunt it
down later and kill it.

> "Relaxing" (if possible in the situation) may be better during date rape.

From personal experience, this is the BEST time to fight, assuming the
situation above does not apply, (it usually doesn't, as most people don't
bring weapons on a date). I was lucky enough to hold them off long enough
for my screams to attract attention. And if they had been successful, our
mutual scratches and bruises would have helped my case immeasurably in
court. A rape victim is usually assumed guilty until proven innocent, and
anything that supports your story helps.

-Mers

David Gutschow

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

The poem you quoted was written by Dylan Thomas.
Kali wrote in message <354A74C0...@idt.net>...

>I dissagree totaly. I can't remember who wrote it, but "rage, rage against
the
>dieing of the light" is approprite. I know that it's about dieing, but I
think
>that it works here just as well.
>
> As to why I dissagree, physical bruises and wounds would be as nothing to
me
>compared to the knoledge that I did not try to fight, no matter the
hopelessness
>of the situation. Of course, I speek as a male, and as someone who has
never
>been raped. <knock on wood>
>
>Simon Slavin wrote:
>
>> In article <6i5gge$dgk$1...@news7.ispnews.com>,
>> "James Krieger" <jkri...@sover.net> wrote:
>>
>> > In the second chapter of this book, where Friday has been captured and
>> > is being interrogated, she talks a little bit about how a
"professional"
>> > deals with rape as part of the interogation process. She mentions that
one
>> > option, for those with "advanced training", is to "...emulate the
ancient
>> > Chinese adage." Does anyone know what this means?
>>
>> Advice to young girls undergoing rape: relax -- don't fight it.
>> Basically, that once you're actually being raped all you'll get
>> for fighting is more bruises.

david.h...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2016, 12:45:17 AM2/27/16
On Tuesday, April 28, 1998 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, James Krieger wrote:
> In the second chapter of this book, where Friday has been captured and
> is being interrogated, she talks a little bit about how a "professional"
> deals with rape as part of the interogation process. She mentions that one
> option, for those with "advanced training", is to "...emulate the ancient
> Chinese adage." Does anyone know what this means?
>
> Jim Krieger

She is a Professional Spy. You cannot break her by torture. You can certainly not break her by rape. She's been through years of attempts by Her Own People to harden her.

Ancient Chinese Adage:
Rape impossible!
Woman with skirt up run faster than man with trousers down!

Best I could find, although it was in a topic labeled "Jokes"

david.h...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2016, 1:50:41 AM2/27/16
On Tuesday, April 28, 1998 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, James Krieger wrote:
> In the second chapter of this book, where Friday has been captured and
> is being interrogated, she talks a little bit about how a "professional"
> deals with rape as part of the interogation process. She mentions that one
> option, for those with "advanced training", is to "...emulate the ancient
> Chinese adage." Does anyone know what this means?
>
> Jim Krieger

Also, just as a reminder, Work Of Fiction. Circa early 80's. I'm 51 and graduated high-school in '83. Modern sensibilities did not exist.

danny burstein

Feb 27, 2016, 3:48:40 AM2/27/16
I don't know if the original post from 1998 was answered back
then, but Heinlein was referring to the concept that "if rape
is inevitable, lie back and enjoy it".

- this was actually verbalized by a NYC tv weather man, Tex
Antoine, when the camera switched to him after the news anchor
had just reported on a rape attack.

dan...@panix.com

Will in New Haven

Feb 28, 2016, 7:14:44 PM2/28/16
On Saturday, February 27, 2016 at 12:45:17 AM UTC-5, david.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 28, 1998 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, James Krieger wrote:
> > In the second chapter of this book, where Friday has been captured and
> > is being interrogated, she talks a little bit about how a "professional"
> > deals with rape as part of the interogation process. She mentions that one
> > option, for those with "advanced training", is to "...emulate the ancient
> > Chinese adage." Does anyone know what this means?
> >
> > Jim Krieger
>
> She is a Professional Spy.

_This_ is the key. She knows someone might kill her and accepts that fact without rancor. As a professional, she can't take the "They killed Kenny" attitude about stuff like that. Some soldiers achieve this emotional distance but many do not.

For those who _really_ believe that rape is a "fate worse than death," believe what you want.

--
Will in New Haven

reilloc

Mar 2, 2016, 12:16:59 PM3/2/16
On 2/28/2016 6:14 PM, Will in New Haven wrote:

> For those who _really_ believe that rape is a "fate worse than death," believe what you want.

I know you _believe_ you're a wise old man with the perspective of
decades of experience that inform your dismissively condescending
utterances. Not unreasonably, to include the abortive witticism, quoted
above, you're claiming those experiences include having been raped.

Do tell.

LNC

Will in New Haven

Mar 2, 2016, 3:13:10 PM3/2/16
Only an attempt. It isn't that unusual, you know. Have you experienced being dead? Saying either is worse ought to require having experienced both.

---
Will in New Haven

lal_truckee

Mar 2, 2016, 4:39:52 PM3/2/16
On 3/2/16 12:13 PM, Will in New Haven wrote:

> Have you experienced being dead?

Objectively, everyone has. Before birth.
Not much going on.

reilloc

Mar 2, 2016, 4:45:33 PM3/2/16
You don't imagine--since you have no personal experience--that it's like
having taken away from you the enjoyment of a necessary part of life?
You can't imagine that once that's been stolen it's not unreasonable to
wish for even a death that's nothingness?

LNC

Will in New Haven

Mar 3, 2016, 9:42:28 AM3/3/16
Not unreasonable? It is emotionally understandable and I can certainly sympathize with it. However, it is explicitly not _reasonable_ It comes from the part of the game that gets angry and screams and shouts and not from the part that thinks.

It is a mistake to think that any of us is _above_ that kind of reaction but it is not right to call it reasonable.

reilloc

Mar 3, 2016, 11:43:34 AM3/3/16
Please identify the organ to which you must be referring that's
dedicated (in the way you seem to have things figured out) to behaving
by "gets angry and screams and shouts." Then, identify that separate
organ that "thinks." Finally, please explain why you apparently claim
that it's possible to exclude emotion from rational decision making.

You're a bridge player. In the absolute sense, would you rather be lucky
or good?

LNC

Will in New Haven

Mar 3, 2016, 12:36:01 PM3/3/16
Good, because you can't rely on lucky.

reilloc

Mar 3, 2016, 3:08:11 PM3/3/16
You can if you're lucky.

LNC

Luminaria

Oct 6, 2016, 9:08:02 PM10/6/16
On Tuesday, April 28, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, James Krieger wrote:
> In the second chapter of this book, where Friday has been captured and
> is being interrogated, she talks a little bit about how a "professional"
> deals with rape as part of the interogation process. She mentions that one
> option, for those with "advanced training", is to "...emulate the ancient
> Chinese adage." Does anyone know what this means?
>
> Jim Krieger

Yeah - he didn't quote the specific "ancient Chinese adage" because there are a million of them, and he just left it to your imagination. One less thing for him to research and look up, so he could just get done writing the book. I don't for a second think he was advocating "lie back and take it" with raping a woman, than he would for having your head sawed off slowly.

Someone tries to rape you in the field, you fight back as hard as you can, just like any other attack. As an "interrogation technique", you fight back against that too - just like if they try and cut off your nuts or slice out your tongue. You sit there and take that, guys? Do you? Nice and quiet-like? Sure, you do that. Me, I go out kicking. Black Widow all the way.

Lis