Re: OT - true, Nuke Mars?

a425couple

Sep 10, 2015, 10:32:15 PM9/10/15
"Dimensional Traveler" <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in message...
> a425couple wrote:
>> Not Sci-Fi, it's real life news,
>> 'Science
>> Sep 10 2015, 2:55 pm ET
>> Would Elon Musk's Plan to Nuke Mars Actually Work?
>> by Keith Wagstaff
>> http://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/would-elon-musks-idea-nuke-mars-work-n425001
>> No, Musk ----- Mars. The idea is
>> to "terraform" it so that future generations of humans could one day
>> live there.
>
> IIRC this idea has been floating around for a long time.

Yes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_of_Mars
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonization_of_Mars
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_in_popular_culture
has quite a good list, from 1910 the moon, a couple Venus,
then a 1950 Heinlein on Ganymede "Farmer in the Sky"
and 1951 Arthur Clarke on Mars "The Sands of Mars"
- "First instance of Martian terraforming"
1952 Asimov another on Mars, "The Martian Way"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collision_Orbit
"Collision Orbit is a science fiction short story by Jack Williamson
(credited as Will Stewart). It was published in the July 1942 edition
of Astounding Science Fiction magazine.[1]
The concept of "terraforming", although it may have been previously used,
is used in this short story for the first time.[2] It also uses the idea of
anti-matter.[3]

from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_to_Stay
"The Case for Mars acknowledges any Martian colony will be
partially Earth-dependent for centuries."

Cryptoengineer

Sep 10, 2015, 10:35:19 PM9/10/15
"a425couple" <a425c...@hotmail.com> wrote in
Elon wants to get a million people on Mars ASAP. He thinks
that's the minimum for a self-sustaining colony, to act as
a backup of Earth.

Lots of details at

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/08/how-and-why-spacex-will-colonize-mars.html

pt

MajorOz

Sep 12, 2015, 12:27:17 AM9/12/15
Don't know how his actual accomplishments will eventuate....but he is probably our greatest visionary that has money to back it up.