Kingsley Shacklebolt for DADA teacher

Brent Braten

Jun 28, 2003, 2:57:19ā€ÆPM6/28/03
It's just a thought because Dumbdore will want to keep an eye on Fudge and
the Ministry of Magic.

BMB

--
Tis a far far better thing we do when we
listen with an open mind than when we

XT

Jun 28, 2003, 3:56:04ā€ÆPM6/28/03
In article <3efde773$1...@corp.newsgroups.com>,
"Brent Braten" <bbr...@wyoming.com> wrote:

Erm, so wouldn't he want him at the ministry and not at hogwarts? He's
already in the order of the pheonix. Being an aurorer with voldemort out
and about and all.

Unknown

Jun 28, 2003, 5:08:33ā€ÆPM6/28/03
"Brent Braten" <bbr...@wyoming.com> thought (s)he was saying

something useful when (s)he said:

>It's just a thought because Dumbdore will want to keep an eye on Fudge and
>the Ministry of Magic.
>
>BMB

I wonder how long Kingsley will still be working for the MoM.

"You were hunting Sirius and all the time he was straight under your
nose in the Order!"

He did seriously violate some direct orders from his boss, didn't he?
:o)

~~~~~~~~~~~
LatH123

"Dear me, what's the use of being a disgrace to the name of wizard if they don't even pay you well for it?"
- Lucius Malfoy.

Brent Braten

Jun 28, 2003, 5:05:21ā€ÆPM6/28/03

"XT" <notac...@email.net> wrote in message

Because he's already got several agents inside the Ministry and he needs a
new DADA teacher. I just thought a black teacher would be a refreshing
change and the more people watching over Harry the better.

BMB

mag3

Jun 28, 2003, 7:14:20ā€ÆPM6/28/03
Quoting "Brent Braten" <bbr...@wyoming.com> regarding Re: Kingsley Shacklebolt
for DADA teacher in a message dated Sat, 28 Jun 2003 15:05:21 -0600:

>Because he's already got several agents inside the Ministry and he needs a
>new DADA teacher. I just thought a black teacher would be a refreshing
>change and the more people watching over Harry the better.
>
>BMB

And you could even get "Ben Kingsley" to play him :-) (bit of a stretch but
Ben could pass as black). Other suggestions?

__________________________________

Regards,
Arnold.

(E-mail address altered, to prevent spamming. :-|
Remove all asterisks and the *hates*spam* to get true address.)

Paul Wartenberg

Jun 28, 2003, 9:41:56ā€ÆPM6/28/03
Whadda ya trying to do, get him killed?!?!?!?!

"Brent Braten" <bbr...@wyoming.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

mag3

Jun 29, 2003, 6:47:46ā€ÆAM6/29/03
Quoting theonesi...@yahoo.com (The One Sixth Sense) regarding Re: Kingsley
Shacklebolt for DADA teacher in a message dated 29 Jun 2003 00:08:13 -0700:

>I guess they want to bring in Samuel L Jackson or Morgan Freeman into
>the movies. Tonks character allows them to bring in a young adult
>attractive female into the cast. Umbridge allows them to bring in
>another older female actress ( Judy Dench? )
>
>I think it's unrealistic to think Rowling writes anymore without
>future casting considerations in mind.

Except for one. The cast has to be "all British" (whatever that means). In
another thread, I point out that there are cast members who were not born in
the UK but had roles in the movies anyway. Most were born either in Rep. of
Ireland or NZ and a couple even in the USA (although one of those had no
speaking part - his voice was dubbed by a British actor).

Therefore, I think Samuel L. Jackson & Morgan Freeman (as much as I admire both
of them) wouldn't qualify.

HELENA

Jun 29, 2003, 9:20:39ā€ÆAM6/29/03

"mag3" <mag3*hates*spam*@newsguy.com> wrote in message

> Quoting "Brent Braten" <bbr...@wyoming.com> regarding Re: Kingsley
Shacklebolt
> for DADA teacher in a message dated Sat, 28 Jun 2003 15:05:21 -0600:
>

> >Because he's already got several agents inside the Ministry and he needs
> >new DADA teacher. I just thought a black teacher would be a refreshing
> >change and the more people watching over Harry the better.
> >
> >BMB
>
> And you could even get "Ben Kingsley" to play him :-) (bit of a stretch
but
> Ben could pass as black). Other suggestions?

Actually I had an immediate picture of Samuel L Jackson, assuming he'd
be prepared to do the voice work to get an English accent. I've seen Ben
Kingsley play Othello. He doesn't "black up" that well. Good enough for
stage (the RSC in fact) but not for film work.
HELENA

HELENA

Jun 29, 2003, 9:25:28ā€ÆAM6/29/03

> Quoting theonesi...@yahoo.com (The One Sixth Sense) regarding Re:
Kingsley
> Shacklebolt for DADA teacher in a message dated 29 Jun 2003
00:08:13 -0700:

> >I guess they want to bring in Samuel L Jackson or Morgan Freeman into
> >the movies. Tonks character allows them to bring in a young adult
> >attractive female into the cast. Umbridge allows them to bring in
> >another older female actress ( Judy Dench? )
> >
> >I think it's unrealistic to think Rowling writes anymore without
> >future casting considerations in mind.
>
> Except for one. The cast has to be "all British" (whatever that means). In
> another thread, I point out that there are cast members who were not born
in
> the UK but had roles in the movies anyway. Most were born either in Rep.
of
> Ireland or NZ and a couple even in the USA (although one of those had no
> speaking part - his voice was dubbed by a British actor).
>
> Therefore, I think Samuel L. Jackson & Morgan Freeman (as much as I admire
both
> of them) wouldn't qualify.

I don't think that a UK actor would be essential by now. In the first
film I do think there was the necessity to keep the cast and story from
being "Hollywoodised" and by implication Americanised. I don'y think it
would be legal to fully ban actors from any country. The only essntial is
that they are prepared to master English accents. Renee Zellweiger managed
in Bridget Jones (although sometimes her vowels were just a little *too*
cut-glass for a real Londoner).
HELENA

mag3

Jun 29, 2003, 11:04:55ā€ÆAM6/29/03
Quoting "HELENA" <ric...@standage-bowles.freeserve.co.uk> regarding Re:
Kingsley Shacklebolt for DADA teacher in a message dated Sun, 29 Jun 2003
14:25:28 +0100:

>> >I guess they want to bring in Samuel L Jackson or Morgan Freeman into
>> >the movies. Tonks character allows them to bring in a young adult
>> >attractive female into the cast. Umbridge allows them to bring in
>> >another older female actress ( Judy Dench? )
>> >
>> >I think it's unrealistic to think Rowling writes anymore without
>> >future casting considerations in mind.
>>
>> Except for one. The cast has to be "all British" (whatever that means). In
>> another thread, I point out that there are cast members who were not born
>>in the UK but had roles in the movies anyway. Most were born either in Rep.
>>of Ireland or NZ and a couple even in the USA (although one of those had no
>> speaking part - his voice was dubbed by a British actor).
>>
>> Therefore, I think Samuel L. Jackson & Morgan Freeman (as much as I admire
>>both
>> of them) wouldn't qualify.
>
> I don't think that a UK actor would be essential by now. In the first
>film I do think there was the necessity to keep the cast and story from
>being "Hollywoodised" and by implication Americanised. I don'y think it
>would be legal to fully ban actors from any country. The only essntial is
>that they are prepared to master English accents.

I'd have no problem with that at all - but I think you'll have a bit of a job
convincing some of the "die hards," both in the production company, and more
critically, in this NG!!! :-)))

BTW, Having seen Morgan Freeman in "Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves" right along
with, of all people, Alan Rickman (as the Sheriff of Nottingham), I think he'd
have a bit of work ahead in perfecting the British accent. Don't get me wrong.
I absolutely adored him in many of his US roles (as Joe Clark in "Lean on Me"
or as Houk in "Driving Ms. Daisy", and especially as Ellis "Red" Redding in The
Shawshank Redemption) and am a little miffed that he hasn't gotten an OSCAR win
yet (he was nominated 3 times). In any case, I was a little disappointed with
many of the British accents in Robin Hood P.O.T. anyway (Kevin Costner in
particular) so that may not be saying much. Loved Alan as S.O.N. - he was
deliciously villainous. But I digress.

Haven't seen Samuel L. Jackson try something like that yet so maybe there is
potential there.

Quentin Stephens

Jun 29, 2003, 4:38:59ā€ÆPM6/29/03

> Because he's already got several agents inside the Ministry and
> he needs a new DADA teacher. I just thought a black teacher

What a racist remark! Surely one of the major themes of HP is who
people are rather than what they are? A person's colour is
irrelevant.

If you want black for black's sake, Snape's robes are black.

mag3

Jun 29, 2003, 4:57:51ā€ÆPM6/29/03
Quoting Quentin Stephens <s...@stq.gro.uk.invalid> regarding Re: Kingsley
Shacklebolt for DADA teacher in a message dated Sun, 29 Jun 2003 20:38:59 GMT:

>What a racist remark! Surely one of the major themes of HP is who
>people are rather than what they are? A person's colour is
>irrelevant.
>
>If you want black for black's sake, Snape's robes are black.

I think JKR makes it a point in OOTP to mention that Kingsley Schalebolt *is*
black. In the Scholastic Ed. she does anyway - I remember reading that. Now
whether or not that's a valid qualification for being the next DADA teacher
(rather than his natural talents) is another matter.

Personally, I'd rather keep Kingsley active in both OOTP and at the MOM. I
think he's too valuable a resource there and can play a crucial role in
ensuring that "V" & company (ie. L. Malfoy etc.) don't sink their clutches
further into the MOM. At least he's a good spy for Dumbledore there.

Doroday

Jun 29, 2003, 9:38:17ā€ÆPM6/29/03
>Shacklebolt exists to give a big name African American Hollywood star
>a chance at the Potter movies when they film book 5

*blink* I'm sorry. I don't think any Americans have thus far been in any of
the movies. It's been rather a point of pride in the UK. Remember the furor
that arose when rumors abounded that Haley Joel "I see dead careers" Osmet was
tapped to play Harry? What about African Brits?

If you have to cast a Yank as Shaklebolt, it'll obviously be Lawrence
Fishburne.

mag3

Jun 29, 2003, 10:02:35ā€ÆPM6/29/03
Quoting dor...@aol.com (Doroday) regarding Re: Kingsley Shacklebolt for DADA
teacher in a message dated 30 Jun 2003 01:38:17 GMT:

>>Shacklebolt exists to give a big name African American Hollywood star
>>a chance at the Potter movies when they film book 5
>
>*blink* I'm sorry. I don't think any Americans have thus far been in any of
>the movies. It's been rather a point of pride in the UK.

Hate to burst your bubble, but there were indeed two American born actors in
PS/SS. Verne Troyer played Griphook, the goblin (who opened the vaults)
although they cheated him by dubbing his voice with that of Warwick Davis who
played both Prof. Flitwick and the goblin at the teler station who asks "And
does Mr. Harry Potter have his key?")

The other was Zoƫ Wanamaker who played Mdm. Hooch. Although she lived in
England for many years and aquired an authentic accent, she was in fact, born
in NYC, and her father, Sam Wanamaker, was also American, born in Chicago, Ill.

Furthermore, subject to verification, there are also the Columbus children who
have been in both movies (Eleanor Columbus who played Susan Bones, and her
siblings Isabella, Violet, and Brendan.

>Remember the furor
>that arose when rumors abounded that Haley Joel "I see dead careers" Osmet was
>tapped to play Harry? What about African Brits?

Care to name a few?

>If you have to cast a Yank as Shaklebolt, it'll obviously be Lawrence
>Fishburne.

Samuel L. Jackson more likely.
Perhaps Sidney Poitier even.

HELENA

Jun 30, 2003, 4:07:08ā€ÆAM6/30/03

> Quoting "HELENA" <ric...@standage-bowles.freeserve.co.uk> regarding Re:
> Kingsley Shacklebolt for DADA teacher in a message dated Sun, 29 Jun 2003
> 14:25:28 +0100:
>

> BTW, Having seen Morgan Freeman in "Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves" right
along
> with, of all people, Alan Rickman (as the Sheriff of Nottingham), I think
he'd
> have a bit of work ahead in perfecting the British accent. Don't get me
wrong.
> I absolutely adored him in many of his US roles (as Joe Clark in "Lean on
Me"
> or as Houk in "Driving Ms. Daisy", and especially as Ellis "Red" Redding
in The
> Shawshank Redemption) and am a little miffed that he hasn't gotten an
OSCAR win
> yet (he was nominated 3 times). In any case, I was a little disappointed
with
> many of the British accents in Robin Hood P.O.T.

You mean there were some?!

Seriously though Rickman was great in that film. ("And I've cancelled
Christmas!"). The combination of that and his work in "Bob Roberts"
especially convinced me he'd make a great Snape. Shame the film makers have
emasculated the role so much.

> Haven't seen Samuel L. Jackson try something like that yet so maybe there
is
> potential there.

I think any good actor should be able to master an accent with the aid
of a good dialogue coach. Morgan Freeman is IMO too old. So is Samuel
Jackson really (For my impression of Shacklebolt anyway) but he can look
younger when he needs to.
HELENA

Quentin Stephens

Jun 30, 2003, 4:37:58ā€ÆPM6/30/03

> Quoting Quentin Stephens <s...@stq.gro.uk.invalid> regarding Re:
> Kingsley Shacklebolt for DADA teacher in a message dated Sun, 29
> Jun 2003 20:38:59 GMT:
>

>>What a racist remark! Surely one of the major themes of HP is
>>who people are rather than what they are? A person's colour is
>>irrelevant.
>>
>>If you want black for black's sake, Snape's robes are black.
>
> I think JKR makes it a point in OOTP to mention that Kingsley
> Schalebolt *is* black.

That's irrelevant: Brent wanted him simply because he is black.
*That* is what makes it racist.

KS made zero impression on me; Tonks on the other hand ... and I
don't recall her being described as being either black or white or
anywhere inbetween (given her talent, she could probably choose). I
am ignorant as to her skin colour and I really don't care.

Tonje Kristin Nilsen

Jun 30, 2003, 7:29:06ā€ÆPM6/30/03
On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 11:04:55 -0400, mag3
<mag3*hates*spam*@newsguy.com> wrote:

<snip>

>BTW, Having seen Morgan Freeman in "Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves" right along
>with, of all people, Alan Rickman (as the Sheriff of Nottingham), I think he'd
>have a bit of work ahead in perfecting the British accent.

IIRC, he was a Moor in that film, so it would've been a bit strange if
he had a perfect British accent anyway. :-)

<snip>

--
Tonje
"There's a difference between

Corvette Carrot

Jul 2, 2003, 7:24:37ā€ÆPM7/2/03

"HELENA" <ric...@standage-bowles.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

I see Kingsley as very large and well-made, with a rich, deep voice, so I
can't think of any black actors the right age over here in the US that can
do it up right... Not Mace Windu, he's too intense-looking. Laurence
Fishburne (who's done "Othello" <g>)...Forrest Whitaker, Bernie Mac
(um...no.) Michael Clark Duncan (might be perfect if he can do the accent
and enunciate...)

AW

Jul 2, 2003, 9:17:39ā€ÆPM7/2/03

"Corvette Carrot" <corvettecarrot at comcast dot net> wrote in message

Micheal Clark Duncan would be perfect, me thinks! But you're right, the
voice work could be a bit much...

Brent Braten

Jul 4, 2003, 7:26:02ā€ÆPM7/4/03
<snip>

> That's irrelevant: Brent wanted him simply because he is black.
> *That* is what makes it racist.

I don't thing I said that I wanted him simply because he was black. Perhaps
I should express myself a bit more clearly. The impression I received upon
reading the few pages which included K.S. was one of quiet strength,
patience and ability. The fact that he was described as being black (or was
it dark skinned) gave me hope that he might appear as one of the instructors
because most of them (with the exception of Firense) are white. I just
thought it would be a refreshing change. If you wish to interpret my
comments as racist or prejudicial then I must ask that you kindly leave my
name out of it because even though I am whit I have faced prejudice,
discrimination and (I guess you could call it) racism as a person in
posession of a slight disability.

If you don't believe me then I will suggest that you have a lot to learn
about the role ignorance plays in this world in which we live.

Later,

Brent

Quentin Stephens

Jul 6, 2003, 3:39:36ā€ÆPM7/6/03

><snip>
>
>> That's irrelevant: Brent wanted him simply because he is black.
>> *That* is what makes it racist.
>
> I don't thing I said that I wanted him simply because he was
> black. Perhaps I should express myself a bit more clearly. The
> impression I received upon reading the few pages which included
> K.S. was one of quiet strength, patience and ability. The fact
> that he was described as being black (or was it dark skinned)
> gave me hope that he might appear as one of the instructors
> because most of them (with the exception of Firense) are white.
> I just thought it would be a refreshing change.

And this still makes the comment racist. A person's colour is
*irrelevant*. If you use it as a factor in selection, you are
discriminating. It's as simple as that.

> If you wish to
> interpret my comments as racist or prejudicial then I must ask
> that you kindly leave my name out of it because even though I am
> whit I have faced prejudice, discrimination and (I guess you
> could call it) racism as a person in posession of a slight
> disability.

That does not excuse you.

> If you don't believe me then I will suggest that you have a lot
> to learn about the role ignorance plays in this world in which
> we live.

I'd suggest that it's you who has a lot to learn.

Petrea Mitchell

Jul 6, 2003, 10:48:04ā€ÆPM7/6/03
At Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:57:19 -0600,
Brent Braten <bbr...@wyoming.com> strode forth and proclaimed:

> It's just a thought because Dumbdore will want to keep an eye on Fudge and
> the Ministry of Magic.

The only problem with this theory is that it would be a sensible choice,
and how much sense have we seen in the choice of DADA teachers so far?

--
/
Petrea Mitchell <|> <|> <pr...@m5p.com> <mit...@osm.com>

Jonathan Ellis

Jul 7, 2003, 5:57:29ā€ÆAM7/7/03

"Petrea Mitchell" <pr...@parkstreet.m5p.com> wrote in message

> At Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:57:19 -0600,
> Brent Braten <bbr...@wyoming.com> strode forth and proclaimed:
>
> > It's just a thought because Dumbdore will want to keep an eye on
Fudge and
> > the Ministry of Magic.
>
> The only problem with this theory is that it would be a sensible
choice,
> and how much sense have we seen in the choice of DADA teachers so
far?

- Quirrell had seemed like a sensible choice at the time - it was not
yet known that he had turned to Voldemort's side (in fact, when he
actually accepted the job in advance, he may well have not done so
yet.) He was properly qualified and knew his stuff: and it was
generally believed that Voldemort was gone for good, so the subject
wasn't expected to be as important as it turned out to be.

- Gilderoy Lockhart was supposed to be an expert in fighting dark
magic and dark creatures: nobody knew, at the time, that he was a
fraud, that all the experiences in his books had actually been stolen
from other people's fights rather than his own. Given what was
actually thought to be known about him (and given that his masquerade
was good enough to fool even Dumbledore, until he actually came to the
school and started teaching, by which time he was on a contract for at
least the rest of the year), he would have been an excellent choice.

- Remus Lupin was an extremely fine teacher. Hardly a "foolish"
choice. His decision to resign came because of (a) prejudice against
werewolves, and (b) a single incident in which he allowed himself to
be turning into a dangerous werewolf in front of children (Harry, Ron
and Hermione) - in circumstances that would never have been repeated.
Had he stayed on, he would have been a good teacher: indeed, I think
he should be allowed to return, and damn the parents' prejudices.

- The next person chosen as DADA teacher was Alastor Moody. As an
Auror of unimpeachable credentials, he had been there and done it
all - you couldn't have actually had a better candidate. Nobody knew
that the teacher wasn't the real Moody. (In fact, Crouch Junior's
masquerade was actually so good that he *did* end up teaching people
good and useful stuff about defence against the dark arts: he had to,
otherwise Dumbledore would have become suspicious. Harry, in
particular, benefited - he can now throw off the Imperius Curse, even
when cast by Voldemort himself. Not that Voldy was intending to use it
against Harry for any more than minor amusement. After all - it
doesn't matter *how* many other things he teaches them to protect
against, so long as they can't protect themselves against the big one
(Avada Kedavra), so Crouch could quite happily teach the rest of them
all that Moody knew.)

- Umbridge wasn't Dumbledore's choice. Nobody else - not even Snape -
liked her. God only knows how she even managed to fool Fudge into
thinking that she should be a teacher as well as an inspector, because
most of what she did would have been utterly wrong even if Dumbledore
and Harry had both been lying or mistaken and Voldemort *wasn't* back.
I suspect even Fudge would have been shocked at the "lines" she made
Harry (and, presumably, others) write - even he probably didn't know
about that. It just goes to show how easily bureaucracies can get
themselves in a muddle and let bastards rise to the top without even
their immediate superiors realising how bad they are.

Jonathan.

Miranda

Jul 7, 2003, 10:27:59ā€ÆAM7/7/03
Quentin Stephens <s...@stq.gro.uk.invalid> wrote in message news:<Xns93A9DB908...@80.1.224.5>...

I hadn't even picked up that he was black. Does that make me racist?
Or just a racer - racing through the book as fast as my hands could
turn the page. :)

[absurdly minor spoilers]

I liked Kingsley very much. I like the delicate role he has to play
and his handling of the scene in Dumbledore's office. McGonagall was
good in that scene too.

Veering off on a tangent, I think McGonagall's actions in this book,
especially at Hagrid's hut, showed just why she is a true Gryffindor.
Magnificent lady!

Does anyone else feel that Maggie Smith's portrayal of McGonagall may
just slightly have influenced some of the descriptions about her in
OoTP? I know no one wants to hear that! But the way she closes her
eyes when Umbridge speaks to her during Harry's career counselling
session is SO Maggie Smith. Maybe it's just that I now have Dame
Maggie pictured in my mind as McGonagall.

Miranda

Magnolia Mama

Jul 14, 2003, 10:51:51ā€ÆPM7/14/03

> From: "Corvette Carrot" <corvettecarrot at comcast dot net>

>> "HELENA" <ric...@standage-bowles.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>> "mag3" <mag3*hates*spam*@newsguy.com> wrote in message

>>> And you could even get "Ben Kingsley" to play him :-) (bit of a stretch
>>> but Ben could pass as black). Other suggestions?
>>
>> Actually I had an immediate picture of Samuel L Jackson, assuming
> >he'd
>> be prepared to do the voice work to get an English accent. I've seen Ben
>> Kingsley play Othello. He doesn't "black up" that well. Good enough for
>> stage (the RSC in fact) but not for film work.
>
> I see Kingsley as very large and well-made, with a rich, deep voice, so I
> can't think of any black actors the right age over here in the US that can
> do it up right... Not Mace Windu, he's too intense-looking. Laurence
> Fishburne (who's done "Othello" <g>)...Forrest Whitaker, Bernie Mac
> (um...no.) Michael Clark Duncan (might be perfect if he can do the accent
> and enunciate...)

I've been away from home for 2 weeks, and it's taken me 3 days to whittle
the messages queue for this NG from 9,000 to 2,500, so my apologies for
responding so lately. However, I couldn't resist...

Despite the fact that he's an American, Avery Brooks (Star Trek: Deep Space
Nine) is the first and only person that comes to my mind when thinking of
Kingsley Shacklebolt. He's got an impressive build and an equally impressive
voice. He's also not as well-known as Samuel L. Jackson or Laurence
Fishburn, so he'd likely be more content with a smaller, supporting role. My
only problem with Brooks is that he tends to insert William Shatner-type
pauses into dramatic monologues, so the scriptwriter/director would have to
make sure to keep his lines short and to the point :-)

Alas, as I said, Brooks is American, and thus not likely to be considered.
However, there's a new TV series showing here in the US on FOX called "Keen
Eddie" that I've gotten hooked on (it's about a NYC detective sent to work
with Scotland Yard after he royally f***s up a drug bust), and the precinct
captain--or whatever his position is--shows great potential as a possible
Shacklebolt. Unfortunately, I can't recall his name. Argh.

MM
--
Remove "pen name" to reply

richard e white

Jul 16, 2003, 7:20:28ā€ÆAM7/16/03
Magnolia Mama wrote:

That is one of the two guys I thought of but I think his not being from that
side of the pond will stop them from picking him. But I hope they get some one
like him.

--
Richard The Blind Typer
Lets Hear It For Talking Computers.