RIP: June Foray

Ivan Shmakov

Jul 30, 2017, 2:30:30 PM7/30/17
Just learned that June Foray (the voice behind Rocky Squirrel --
and a whole lot of other characters) has passed away on July 26th
at the age of 99.

I guess the Golden Age has thus finally ended.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_Foray
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Creator/JuneForay

--
FSF associate member #7257 58F8 0F47 53F5 2EB2 F6A5 8916 3013 B6A0 230E 334A

coom...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2017, 7:56:27 AM9/2/17
Barely any activity here these days, but if anything deserves a mention, it's Foray's passing. R.I.P.

Ivan Shmakov

Sep 2, 2017, 9:30:35 AM9/2/17

> Barely any activity here these days,

Well, we know ways to solve this. Say, whenever you find
something of interest (and furry, of course): share!

Not that I was ever much active in the fandom, but these days,
the only "furry" thing I do is reading ponyfiction. And there's
some disagreement on whether that's indeed "furry" or not.
(But I suppose me posting comments on everything I read can
become boring really fast either way.)

... On a related note, I don't suppose there's an easy way to
download strips from GoComics for offline reading?

> but if anything deserves a mention, it's Foray's passing. R.I.P.

Yes.

§ñûhwØ£f

Sep 2, 2017, 11:53:08 AM9/2/17
вы знаете русский язылк?

--
http://www.wolfwatcher.org
www.snuhwolf.9f.com|www.savewolves.org

Ivan Shmakov

Sep 2, 2017, 12:00:26 PM9/2/17

[…]

> вы знаете русский язык?

Sure; also Esperanto (although mostly read-only), and tiny bits
of a bunch of other languages (mostly of the IE family.)

Why?

§ñûhwØ£f

Sep 3, 2017, 11:25:19 AM9/3/17
On 09/02/2017 10:00 AM, Ivan Shmakov wrote:

> […]
>
> > вы знаете русский язык?
>
> Sure; also Esperanto (although mostly read-only), and tiny bits
> of a bunch of other languages (mostly of the IE family.)
>
> Why?

Well your name suggests a slavic heritage. And I'm studying Russian
currently.

Ivan Shmakov

Sep 3, 2017, 11:37:20 AM9/3/17

>>> вы знаете русский язык?

>> Sure; also Esperanto (although mostly read-only), and tiny bits of a
>> bunch of other languages (mostly of the IE family.)

>> Why?

> Well your name suggests a slavic heritage. And I'm studying Russian
> currently.

ACK. If there's any newsgroup you post your questions on
Russian to, I'd be happy to subscribe to it and help.

--
FSF associate member #7257 np. Blücher — Kamelot 8916 3013 B6A0 230E 334A

§ñûhwØ£f

Sep 4, 2017, 12:01:43 PM9/4/17
On 09/03/2017 09:37 AM, Ivan Shmakov wrote:

> >> Sure; also Esperanto (although mostly read-only), and tiny bits of a
> >> bunch of other languages (mostly of the IE family.)
>
> >> Why?
>
> > Well your name suggests a slavic heritage. And I'm studying Russian
> > currently.
>
> ACK. If there's any newsgroup you post your questions on
> Russian to, I'd be happy to subscribe to it and help.

Actually not questions, but just for fun.
newsgroup: alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk

Ivan Shmakov

Sep 6, 2017, 2:00:45 PM9/6/17

[…]

>>> Well your name suggests a slavic heritage. And I’m studying
>>> Russian currently.

>> ACK. If there’s any newsgroup you post your questions on Russian
>> to, I’d be happy to subscribe to it and help.

> Actually not questions, but just for fun. newsgroup:
> alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk

I see. I guess you might at some time want to check one of the
Russian language newsgroups, such as, say, news:alt.russian.z1.

Furry-wise, I know of a series of novels by Dmitry Glomozda
(BKA Gyrotank) [1] set in the CDRR universe. A point of
interest is that the author took effort to make them all
available in /both/ Russian and English.

There’re also several stories by Vlad Pavlovich [2] that I’ve
found interesting. (The writer has authored or co-authored
several books on World Wide Web, and a multitude of articles for
IT journals, and writes ‘furry’ stories in his spare time,
including some set in the CDRR universe.)

[1] http://rangerwiki.net/index.php?title=Gyrotank_(fan)
[2] http://cdrrhq.ru/story_author/vlad-pavlovich-2/

Speaking of the Russian CDRR fandom specifically, I’d like to
point to the following story as well.

Laos (Лаос)
by Prapor
http://forum.cdrrhq.ru/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=354

“There’s no case too big, no case too small” for the Rescue
Rangers. That said, averting an impeding borderline-planetary
scale natural disaster may happen to be a tad above their usual
pay grade. Fortunately, as they proceed on their mission, they
stumble upon nothing else than what Pentagon might call
a “broken arrow” – specifically, a thermonuclear bomb lost during
an unsuccessful USAF air raid during the Vietnam War. Well,
“It never fails once they’re involved,” right?

The story features a priceless reaction of US military, as well as
a good deal of Russian colloquialisms.

Also worth mentioning are Lockhard’s “Dragon’s Rage” novel
(1999) and its many sequels [3], as well as several stories set
mainly in the CDRR universe (again) [4], and various other works
— ranging from pure comedy to serious drama.

[3] http://dragons.ge/works/dragonbooks/books-dictators
[4] http://dragons.ge/works/category/books-whiteshadow

Lastly, I know of no better way to train all the language skills
at once than poetry. Sadly, about the only Russian poet I grew
to appreciate is none other than Yegor Letov (a musician,
singer, songwriter, etc.), whose songs (apart from the last
album published during his lifetime) are known for “explicit
language,” and who at least once claimed that he never wrote a
song while /not/ being “under influence.”

You can find the lyrics, as well as some .mp3s, on their Web site
[5, 6], but I’m not going to bet if they’d be of any use or not.

(Well, understanding poetry is said to be difficult. I think I
caught the general idea of En Vie [7], but aside of the fairly
obvious “C’est l’histoire qui se répète,” I cannot claim I do
have a clear understanding of any line of the song. I’d imagine
that Letov’s works are hardly any easier.)

[5] http://gr-oborona.ru/texts/
[6] http://gr-oborona.ru/pub/rock/alboms.html
[7] http://metrolyrics.com/en-vie-lyrics-apocalyptica.html

--
FSF associate member #7257 np. The Goat’s Earth — Jami Sieber B6A0 230E 334A

Coyo

Apr 6, 2018, 3:11:57 PM4/6/18
Ivan Shmakov wrote:

> Just learned that June Foray (the voice behind Rocky
Squirrel --
> and a whole lot of other characters) has passed away on
July 26th
> at the age of 99.
>
> I guess the Golden Age has thus finally ended.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_Foray
> http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Creator/JuneForay

Another great one lost.