Drummers on Apostrophe(')

Johan Lif

Jul 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/24/00
Yes, I know this subject has been up more than once before, but is there
any consensus, or anything remotely like consensus, about who plays
drums on what track on Apostrophe(')?

Johan

Dan B.

Jul 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/24/00

I'll give this one a shot, Johan; now that I've gotten the consensus
from others folks when we discussed this before:

Yellow Snow Suite- Ralph Humphrey
Cosmik Debris- Ralph
Excentrifugal Forz- Aynsley Dunbar
Apostrophe(')- James (I shot my mama) Gordon
Uncle Remus- Aynsley
Stink-Foot- Johnny (Mr. LA) Guerin (the brushes give this away, see
Twenty Small Cigars for back-up)--soooo laid back man!

Now which tracks do Alex D. & FZ play bass on?
--
"Now who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris; who do you think I am
anyway, Carlos Santana?" -- Frank Zappa, live '74

Román

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
From reading the numerous discussions here ("Apostrophe drummers question"
from 1997, and "Apostrophe musicians" from 1998, etc.), I think the
consensus is:

Ralph Humphrey:
"Don't Eat The Yellow Snow"
"Nanook Rubs It"
"St. Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast"
"Father O'Blivion"
"Cosmik Debris"

Johnny Guerin:
"Excentrifugal Forz"

Jim Gordon:
"Apostrophe'"

Aynsley Dunbar:
"Uncle Remus"
"Stink-Foot"

Milhouse4481

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
Good job, but I thought Jim Gordon whacked his ma with a hammer, not shot her.
I wish I could remember the name of the comedian that said this about killing
his mom with a hammer...
"It's bad enough to get popped in the head with a ball peen hammer, let alone
by the greatest snare drum man of the 70s"

--Milhouse
np: just watchin' SNL on comedy central

Román

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00

"Dan B." wrote:

> Johan Lif wrote:
> >
> > Yes, I know this subject has been up more than once before, but is there
> > any consensus, or anything remotely like consensus, about who plays
> > drums on what track on Apostrophe(')?
> >
> > Johan
>

> I'll give this one a shot, Johan; now that I've gotten the consensus
> from others folks when we discussed this before:
>
> Yellow Snow Suite- Ralph Humphrey
> Cosmik Debris- Ralph
> Excentrifugal Forz- Aynsley Dunbar

Yes, I know we discussed that before, but, wasn't it Guerin?

> Apostrophe(')- James (I shot my mama) Gordon
> Uncle Remus- Aynsley
> Stink-Foot- Johnny (Mr. LA) Guerin (the brushes give this away, see
> Twenty Small Cigars for back-up)--soooo laid back man!

And wasn't this Mr. Dunbar?

> Now which tracks do Alex D. & FZ play bass on?

I think it's:

Tom Fowler:

"Don't Eat The Yellow Snow"
"Nanook Rubs It"
"St. Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast"
"Father O'Blivion"
"Cosmik Debris"

FZ:
"Excentrifugal Forz"
"Stink-Foot"

Jack Bruce:
"Apostrophe'"

Erroneous:
"Uncle Remus"

josh

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
who is Erroneous?

Dan B.

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
I'll have to disagree with you on this one. There is no way that John
Guerin could have played those tricky syncopated accents on EF. Listen
to Guerin's playing on Jean Luc Ponty's King Kong for more examples of
his loose, more mellow and jazzy beats. The drumming on EF is a little
"tighter" than Guerin's capabilities. John Guerin has done some nice,
more laid back drumming for the likes of Joni Mitchell, etc. It's my
opinion that he is playing the drums (with brushes) on Stink-Foot
because: a) he used brushes on Twenty Small Cigars, and b) the drumming
on that track has a nice relaxed, swinging feel--'typical' of Guerin's
style. Aynsley plays with much more "power" though (like all good
drummers) he can be 'subtle' as well.
(P.S. I hope everybody likes my playing on my Roland TD-7 kit as well as
on various tuned & untuned elec. & ac. perc. on my track from the affz
disc. Plug plug.)

--
"I don’t want to spend my life explaining myself. Either you get it or
you don’t." -- Frank Zappa

Dan B.

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00

I'll go with ya on this one, all I remember was that Ms. Gordon got
'whacked'; the "Hands With A Hammer" suits this drummers subject better!
--
"True aim cannot be achieved without suffering." -- G.I. Gurdjieff

Bossk (R)

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
josh <jdma...@calpoly.edu> wrote:

> who is Erroneous?

Alex "Erroneous" Dmochowsky:

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~splat/Erroneous.html

Jamie Arntz

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00

Jack P. Armstrong

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
>who is Erroneous?

Alex Dmochowski, played on Grand Wazoo, Waka/Jawaka, and a few things on the
Lost Episodes.

- - - - - - -
Jody B. (aka Jack P. Armstrong)
"I'm more interesting than a wet pussycat!" - John Cleese

Román

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
"Dan B." wrote:

I knew we had discussed this before.

This is a message from Joe Travers early on this year:

Subject: Re: Aynsely's 'out' on E.F.
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 03:09:28 GMT
From: Joe Travers <xfo...@earthlink.net>
Newsgroups: alt.fan.frank-zappa

"Dan B." wrote:

> No way, Joe-se. I used to think it was Jim Gordon--listen to Down in De
> Dew--that's possible. There ain't no way its John Guerin: he has a loose
> sloppy, lighter, non-'tight' sound; check out his playing on Ponty's
> King Kong album for proof of that. Also his playing on Stinkfoot is more
> indicative of his style. That's just so far off wrong it's amusing.

Yes way Danny, It's like this:

"Don't Eat The Yellow Snow"
"Nanook Rubs It"

"St. Alfonzo's..."
"Cosmik Debris" -Ralph Humphrey

"Excentrifugal Forz" -John Guerin

"Apostrophe'" -Jim Gordon

"Uncle Remus"
"Stink-Foot" -Aynsley Dunbar

How do I draw this conclusion? One of John's signature drum licks is evident
at :25 into "Excentrifugal Forz". Then listen to "Hot Rats", 3:14 into "It
Must Be A Camel". There's the lick, only faster. Also compare the opening
drum fill of Joni Mitchell's "Help Me" off of "Court And Spark" to the first
drum fill of "Forz". Those are definitive John Guerin tom-tom sounds. Most
likely the same drum set. (That's a guess.)

John used single-headed tom-toms. Aynsley Dunbar used double-headed
tom-toms. That cancels John out for "Stink-foot".
Those are definitely double-headed toms. Aynsley plays the the bulk of
"Stink-Foot" with brushes. Just like he does on "Lonesome Cowboy Burt" on
"200 Motels". Check 'em out.

--
Joe Travers
http://www.joetravers.com

Dan B.

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00

Thanks for reprinting this Roman. If that is Guerin on EF thats the best
drumming I've ever hear him do. I wasn't impressed with his drumming at
all on Hot Rats or King Kong. Maybe somebody should just ask him.
Somebody has to know John Guerin personally right? I don't own any Joni
albums so i can't check out Joe Traver's examples. Like i said, if
that's him on EF that's the most odd-time polyrhythmic drumming I've
ever heard from him ever, but that's also the same case with Jim Gordon
on Down In De Dew and Aynsley on Big Swifty--so we know Zappa got the
best from people. I would have thought that a drummer who could play
that interestingly on Excentrifugal Forz, would have been used by Zappa
on some later projects, but who knows. But I'll repeat that Guerin's
drumming on Hot Rats and on stuff like How Would You Like To Have A Head
Like That is not tight at all and is in fact extremely mediocre
drumming.
--
n.p.: FZ/Mothers: St. Paul Auditorium, MN., 11-27-74 (reEQed SB)

Román

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00
"Dan B." wrote:

> Thanks for reprinting this Roman. If that is Guerin on EF thats the best
> drumming I've ever hear him do. I wasn't impressed with his drumming at
> all on Hot Rats or King Kong. Maybe somebody should just ask him.
> Somebody has to know John Guerin personally right? I don't own any Joni
> albums so i can't check out Joe Traver's examples. Like i said, if
> that's him on EF that's the most odd-time polyrhythmic drumming I've
> ever heard from him ever, but that's also the same case with Jim Gordon
> on Down In De Dew and Aynsley on Big Swifty--so we know Zappa got the
> best from people. I would have thought that a drummer who could play
> that interestingly on Excentrifugal Forz, would have been used by Zappa
> on some later projects, but who knows. But I'll repeat that Guerin's
> drumming on Hot Rats and on stuff like How Would You Like To Have A Head
> Like That is not tight at all and is in fact extremely mediocre
> drumming.

I don't know so much about drumming to hear that subtle stuff so I must trust you
experts there.
Anyway, I think any drummer Zappa decided to play with, must be a great one!