Conventional Stratified Holocaust or Jews Only Care About Jews

Vyshinsky

Jul 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/28/96

mgi...@ix.netcom.com writes:

> http://www.anonymizer.com:8080/http://remember.org/educate/ccrit.html

Nothing there. Go:

http://www.anonymizer.com:8080/http://remember.org/educate/

> Not only the usual feminist bullshit but clear evidence that "in house" the
> atttitude towards the holocaust is rather completely off of the wall.

Excerpts From

"The Diary of Hannah Rosen:
Europe's Jews and America'sResponse, 1937-1945"

by Elizabeth S. Rothschild

Presented as a Junior Division Individual Historical Paper

Plus Interviews with [7]Jan Karski, John Pehle, Gerhart Riegner, and
my family,

and [8]Introduction by my father, Mr. Edwin RothschildIndividual
endnotes are indicated like this: [9](1) throughout the diary. Or view
complete [10]Endnotes

To get in touch with the author, send an email to: [11]Elizabeth

2.4.37 [12](1)
Events are happening so rapidly that I amcompelled to record my
thoughts in this diary. Ever since Adolf Hitler wasappointed
chancellor on 30 January 1933,[13](2) life has gottenso bad that I
have decided that I must leave.[14](3) My nameis Hannah Rosen. I'm
twenty now and able to think on my own. I live inFriedberg,[15](4)
Germany, and used to go to FriedbergGymnasium before I was thrown out
by the Nazis two years ago. Last year, afterher husband died of
diabetes, my older sister, Rebecca, and her seven year oldson, Daniel,
moved in with my parents. Lisle, my mother, is kind and sympathetic,
but worries too much and carries a burden too heavy for her
smallshoulders. My father, Karl, is strong and kind. I trust him more
than anyother person in the world.

3.8.37
It has been decided. My uncle and aunt, Max and Ruth Riegner, wholive
in Chicago, will send me an affidavit[16](5) so I can geta visa to go
to New York. Their son, Gerhart,[17](6) who livesin Geneva, has
written me to tell me that when I get to the United States, Ishould
contact Rabbi Stephen S. Wise, who will give me a job at the
AmericanJewish Congress (AJC) in New York.[18](7)

23.9.37
Today, I leave with mixed feelings. My family has lived inFriedberg
since the 1600s.[19](8) I don't want to leave, but Iknow it is safer
in America.[20](9) I only wish my parents andsister would come with
me, instead of being so obstinate.[21](10) I know I must look forward
and not look back. I'll board the shipproudly with a suitcase in each
hand and my diary hidden inside my blouse.

30.9.37
As I enter New York harbor and behold the Statue of Liberty, I feela
surge of emotion. How wonderful it is to feel secure again![22](11)

1/17/38[23](12)
I rent a small flat in Manhattan and get ajob at the AJC. I meet Rabbi
Wise.[24](13) I tell him aboutmy family, how I am trying to bring them
here, and how I want to urge theRoosevelt administration to let more
Jewish refugees into America.

5/3/38
Rebecca wrote me that our family went to visit our old friends,
theHeinrichs. I know this means that they have gone into hiding.

7/16/38
The Evian Conference just ended.[25](14) President Roosevelt had
called for it, raising all of our hopes by making itseem as if
something would be done. However, nothing was accomplished. Was itall
just for show?

11/10/38
I read in The New York Times (NYT) about a pogrom in Germany.
Thousands of Jewish shop windows were smashed and hundreds of
synagogues burned.[26](15) I hope my family is safe.

11/23/38
I received a letter from Rebecca relating the destruction on the9th.
Father's shop is a wreck. Rebecca says that all Jews have been
strippedof their positions, wealth, and property.[27](16) Now theNazis
propose an income tax for "Nazi charity."[28](17) Rebecca has saved a
bit of money to give to the Heinrichs to help payfor food. She is
crowded in with three other families.

6/2/39
The ship, St. Louis, sailed to Cuba with 900 Jews, was turned away,and
then headed to the U.S. coast. The U.S. government didn't let the
refugeesin, forcing them back to Germany.[29](18) This makes me
soangry. We've got to find a way to stop this from happening.

10/24/39
Despite the reports of the Jews' worsening situation, the WJC andother
Jewish organizations confront one main obstacle: the unwillingness of
theRoosevelt administration and Congress to allow more Jews to
immigrate by raisingthe quota limits.[30](19)

1/2/40
Rebecca informs me that three million books written by or referringto
Jews were burned by Nazis.[31](20) Rebecca now wants tocome to
America. I'll send her an affidavit, but it's harder to get out
ofGermany now.

3/10/40
I have a theory that Roosevelt is straddling the fence. He istaking
action, but very little. The "action" is supposed to pleasepeople like
me; the "little" is supposed to please the anti-Semites.[32](21)

6/25/40
Rabbi Wise's colleague, Dr. Nahum Goldmann,[33](22) told me how
helpful Eleanor Roosevelt has been. Unfortunately, FDR hasbeen
listening to the State Department instead of his wife. I hope she'll
beable to convince him to change course, because so many lives are at
stake.[34](23)

4/9/41
I've received many letters from Rebecca telling me that Daniel
wastaken away.[35](24) I'm worried about getting Rebecca andDaniel out
of Europe. She will only leave with Daniel, and Daniel may be
lostforever. The State Department has issued further restrictions on
immigration.[36](25)

5/1/41
How amazing! Rebecca stumbled across an old school friend who washead
of the children's concentration camp where Daniel was held.[37](26) He
asked if there were anything he could do for her, and she told
himabout Daniel. Daniel was sent home right away. Rebecca and Daniel
are finallycoming to America. However, Mother and Father cannot come
until their passportnumbers are called.

6/13/41
The Nyassa,[38](27) on which Rebecca and Danielare travelling, arrived
in port today. What a happy reunion it was. The Nazisare now blocking
the exits of the European countries under their control.[39](28)
Rebecca and Daniel were on the last ship! I'm very afraidthat Mother
and Father will die. All this news is too much for me. My heart
isheavy and will not bear the pain my mind is giving me.

10/26/41
Since Roosevelt signed the Bloom-Van Nuys bill in June,[40](29) the
State Department's policy on immigration has become evenworse,
according to Rabbi Wise. Now, it's even harder to get into this
country.[41](30)

12/8/41
America has officially entered the war. Maybe this will meanAmerica
will allow more Jews to take refuge here.[42](31)

6/30/42
The New York Herald Tribune (NYHT) finally had a front page storyon
the massacre of a million Jews.[43](32) Though horrifying,this article
contains hard facts, however late. I am outraged to have foundsuch a
brief article about the killings in Chelmno buried on page five in NYT
onJune 27.[44](33) Even worse, there was only a two-inch articleabout
the Bund Report on the same day in NYT.[45](34) Why isthe plight of
the Jews in Europe getting so little attention?

9/7/42
Cousin Gerhart sent me a letter from Geneva explaining the
Naziterror[46](35) and suggested that I ask Rabbi Wise about arecent
message he sent. Rabbi Wise discussed Gerhart's telegram[47](36) and
said that a similar copy had been sent to Sydney Silverman,[48](37)
who then sent it to Rabbi Wise who received it on August 28,three
weeks after Gerhart had sent it.[49](38) The telegramstates that
Hitler is now implementing the "Final Solution" to killall remaining
Jews. I'm grief-stricken. Oh Gott! Mother! Father! The AJCwants to
publicize information about all the atrocities in Europe that
theJewish organizations are learning about through very reliable
sources. RabbiWise wants U.S. citizens to know about the "Final
Solution," but theState Department wants to withhold the information
until it is verified.[50](39) The AJC knows it must compromise. This
is a dilemma. Rabbi Wise is being criticized heavily for complying
with the State Department'sposition, but he feels that without
government confirmation, the news would bethought of as just more
Jewish propaganda. Because he wants the StateDepartment to recommend
action to the President, Rabbi Wise knows that he has tocomply.
Furthermore, he knows there are many anti-Semites inside and
outsidethe government who would not believe the information in the
Riegner telegramwithout the government's corroboration.[51](40) I
agreewhole-heartedly with Rabbi Wise's decision because the State
Department mightnever recommend action if he doesn't heed them.

11/25/42
NYT carried an announcement on page ten by Rabbi Wise about
theslaughter of two million Jews.[52](41) I feel sick. What isthe
world doing about this destruction?

11/26/42
Yesterday on page one, NYHT reported Rabbi Wise's press conferencein
Washington.[53](42) Rabbi Wise told the world that there isan
"extermination campaign" to kill all European Jews. Thiscatastrophe
was only reported in NYT on page ten.[54](43) Today, NYT reported on
page sixteen on another press conference held by RabbiWise.[55](44)
Although buried, the article does give a gooddescription of how Rabbi
Wise met with many Jewish leaders on the morning of the25th and then
told the press that his information had been confirmed by theState
Department. I'm thrilled! Rabbi Wise has been pleased about
theseevents. I'm sure this means Roosevelt will intervene. My hopes
are high andnothing can bring them down.

12/2/42
I scurry about excitedly. Today is the Day of Mourning.[56](45) It
reminds me of the Madison Square Garden rally last July.[57](46) For a
few minutes every radio will be silent, every roadwill be clear to
mourn those unfortunate Nazi victims in Europe. Maybe thiswill get
America's politicians' attention.

12/9/42
I'm seething to find only on page twenty of NYT the account ofRabbi
Wise's meeting with Roosevelt.[58](47) Rabbi Wise andother Jewish
leaders took all their information to Roosevelt and begged him todo
all in his power to save the Jews.[59](48)

12/18/42
There's finally a front page story in NYT about the atrocities
inEurope. It's really the first public acknowledgement by the U.S.
government andten other nations of the mass murder of the
Jews.[60](49) Ihaven't heard from Mother or Father in so long. I lay
awake at night fearingthey're in a concentration camp.

4/30/43
How terrible! At the Bermuda Conference, the U.S. government hasfailed
once again. Just like the Evian Conference in 1938, the U.S.
governmenthas been all words and no action.[61](50)

7/23/43
Rabbi Wise met with FDR yesterday regarding Gerhart's plan torescue
thousands of Rumanian Jews;[62](51) the President gavehis
approval.[63](52)

7/29/43
Rabbi Wise and Dr. Goldmann introduced me to a young man, JanKarski,
working for the Polish underground. Karski met with FDR and
informedhim of the fate of Europe's Jews.

According to Rabbi Wise, the President replied that we will win the
war andthat the enemies will be punished.[64](53) I am
disappointedthat this is what Roosevelt told him. Roosevelt cares more
about winning thewar than he does about the dying Jews. I am overcome
with anger.

12/20/43
Everyone here is talking about Breckinridge Long's testimony
toCongress on America's immigration policy. Members of Congress are
saying helied to the committee about how many Jews had been allowed to
enter America.[65](54) I'm so glad that Representative Celler told
everyone thatLong was not telling the truth.[66](55)

1/3/44
I've learned that Breckinridge Long and Sumner Welles tried toprevent
sending money to European Jews to help them escape from the
Nazis.[67](56) Treasury Secretary Morgenthau, who pushed for sending
themoney, found out about the State Department's sabotage.[68](57) I'm
exhilarated. Long and the State Department's policy have beenexposed.

1/17/44 Good news! Rabbi Wise told me about yesterday's meeting at
theWhite House.[69](58) The conflict within the governmentbetween the
State and Treasury Departments[70](59) may beresolved.

2/6/44
John Pehle was appointed to direct the War Refugee Board
(WRB).[71](60) This is the answer to our prayers and efforts.

Finally, something is really being done.[72](61)

9/15/44
I heard from Rabbi Wise that the War Department has once againrefused
to bomb Auschwitz.[73](62) How absurd! I know bombingcould kill many
Jews, but imagine how many would be saved from annihilation inthe gas
chambers. The AJC fought very hard to persuade the government to
bombAuschwitz. This time the battle is between John Pehle at the WRB
and JohnMcCloy at the War Department. This conflict once again
demonstrates America's unwillingnessto use its power to save Jews. At
least the WRB is having some success in otherareas.[74](63)

5/8/45
Yesterday, the war in Europe finally ended.[75](64) When I think back,
there were so many conflicts with and within theRoosevelt
administration about what to do and so many compromises that
everyonemade--compromises paid for in Jewish blood. FDR was
compromising constantly. On one hand, he told Jewish leaders and
important figures, including Karski,that he wanted to do all that he
could to help to save the Jews. On the otherhand, he failed to make
any policy decisions or do anything concretely to helpuntil he finally
created the WRB in early 1944 and appointed Pehle to head it.[76](65)
Still, FDR was a great man because he did all he could todestroy
Hitler and win the war. However, winning the war was what came first
tohim--not saving the Jews.[77](66) Aside from the
Jewishorganizations, there was no real constituency to persuade him to
do bothconcurrently. I think that until 1941, when Europe closed its
doors to theoutside world, much more could and should have been done
to save the Jews. I'mglad that the war is over, but very disappointed
in my adopted country'sgovernment. I grieve for my parents and many of
my friends who probably diedbecause FDR was not persuaded to do more
to save Europe's Jews.

4/23/93
I had a wonderful unexpected pleasure today--tea with Jan Karski athis
home, after meeting him at a reception for the opening of the
HolocaustMuseum in Washington.[78](67) I told him that I finally
hadenough courage to sort through my old belongings and pull out the
diary that Ihad written during the Holocaust, starting right before I
immigrated to Americain 1937. I even had an entry when Rabbi Wise
introduced me to Karski when hefirst came to America in the summer of
1943. So much has happened since then. So many books and articles have
been written about what the AJC did and did notdo, and what FDR did
and did not do to save the European Jews. I told Karski Ihad read that
Pehle said Karski's visit to FDR had shaken the President upenough to
create the WRB. Karski said that he was skeptical of this and
thatmaybe Pehle was just being polite. Karski thought that
Morgenthau's pressingRoosevelt was what led directly to the creation
of the WRB. Karski stressed tome that there could NEVER be another
Holocaust because "now there is aJewish nation--Israel" which would
help protect the Jews and be aneffective political lobby.[79](68) One
question will alwayspainfully reverberate in my mind. If the U.S. had
done more, would my parentshave been saved?

Go To [80]Top of Page

Endnotes

1. In Germany, the way to write the date is day.month.year, so
thisfirst entry 2.4.37 means April 2, 1937.
2. Lucy Dawidowicz, The War Against the Jews 1933-1945 (New York:
BantamBooks, 1976): 63; Nora Levin, The Holocaust: The Destruction
of European Jewry1933-1945 (New York: Schocken Books, 1973): 31;
and Paul Johnson, A History ofthe Jews (New York: Harper Collins
Publishers, Inc., 1987): 482.
3. The Nazis imposed many anti-Jewish laws, including the Nuremberg
Laws in1935, which forced Jews out of the government and
universities; others prevented Jews from selling things to
non-Jews. [Gerald Schoenberner, TheYellow Star: The Persecution of
the Jews in Europe 1933-1945, trans. SusanSweet (New York: Bantam
Books, 1973); Seymour Rossel, The Holocaust: The Worldand the Jew,
1933-1945 (New Jersey: Behrman House, Inc., 1992)]; Ilse
Rothschildinterview (Grandmother Ilse Rothschild, interview by
author, 4 February 1995,Barrington, RI, tape recording); Erich
Rothschild interview (Grandfather ErichRothschild, interview by
author, 4 February 1995, Barrington, RI, taperecording); Kurt
Rothschild interview (Great Uncle Kurt Rothschild, interview
byauthor, 31 January 1995, Glencoe, IL, tape recording.). See also
Dawidowicz:63-92; Leni Yahil, The Holocaust: The Fate of European
Jewry, trans. InaFriedman and Haya Galai (New York: Oxford
University Press, 1990): 53-87; Levin:59-73; Schoenberner: 14-27;
Gerhart M. Riegner, "From the Night of thePogrom to the Final
Solution: Experiences and Lessons," transcript of atalk given to
the Theological Department of the Humboldt University, Berlin(East
Germany) on 25 April 1988, in Christian Jewish Relations 21
(1988): 5-22.
Return To [81]Hannah Rosen's Diary
4. I chose Friedberg as my hometown because that is where my
grandfather,Erich Rothschild, and his brother, Kurt Rothschild,
grew up. Friedberg is asmall town about 10 miles north of
Frankfurt. [Rand McNally Cosmopolitan WorldAtlas (New York: Rand
McNally, 1959): 16.] In 1937 it had about 12,000 peoplewith about
200 Jewish families and very little anti-Semitism. Erich and
KurtRothschild interviews.
5. Kurt Rothschild interview.
6. The diary writer chose to be Gerhart Riegner's cousin because he
knew whatwas going on and he also had family in the United States.
(Swiss World JewishCongress Representative Gerhart M. Riegner,
interview with author, 16 and 21February 1995, Geneva,
Switzerland, facsimile.) See also Martin Gilbert,Auschwitz and the
Allies (New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1981): 352;Walter
Laqueur & Richard Breitman, Breaking the Silence: (New York:
Simonand Schuster, 1986): 134-137; Richard Breitman and Alan M.
Kraut, AmericanRefugee Policy and European Jewry, 1933-1945
(Bloomington: Indiana UniversityPress, 1987): 148-149.
7. The American Jewish Congress was part of the World Jewish Congress
which played a central role in gathering and publishing
information on the Nazipersecution of Europe's Jews and pressuring
the U.S. government to take action. David S. Wyman, Abandonment of
the Jews (New York: Pantheon Books, 1984): 68;Yahil: 606-608;
Breitman and Kraut: 98-99; Laqueur & Breitman: 133-134.
8. Kurt Rothschild interview; see map "2000 Years of Jewish Life
inEurope," in Martin Gilbert, Atlas of the Holocaust (New York:
PergamonPress, 1993).
9. "I was lucky that my number came up sooner than a lot of
otherpeople's." Kurt Rothschild interview.
10. Many people felt that it was dangerous to stay in Germany, and the
peoplewho did stay were making a big mistake. Kurt Rothschild
interview.
Return To [82]Hannah Rosen's Diary
11. See map "Worldwide Reception of German Refugees" in Gilbert,Atlas
Holocaust.
12. The date is now written as it is in America.
13. Nahum Goldmann and Rabbi Stephen S. Wise founded the WJC. Rabbi
Wise wasthe president of the AJC and the most effective American
Jewish leader in thefight to rescue Europe's Jews. See Yahil:
606-607; Gilbert, Auschwitz: 355;Laqueur & Breitman: 133-134.
14. The Evian Conference was a worldwide meeting called by President
Rooseveltin order to find homes for Europe's refuges. The New York
Times (NYT), 14 July1938, p. 15; Levin: 76-77. In David S. Wyman,
Paper Walls (New York: Pantheon Books, 1968): 43-50, the author
explains that some people believedthat the reason for the Evian
Conference was to show anger and disapproval ofthe Nazis--although
in the end nothing was accomplished.
15. Deborah E. Lipstadt, Beyond Belief: The American Press and the
Coming ofthe Holocaust, 1933-1945 (New York: The Free Press,
1986): 104; Rita Thalmannand Emmanuel Feinerman, Crystal Night
trans. Gilles Cremonesi (New York:Coward, McCann & Geoghegan,
Inc., 1974); Schoenberner: 32-34; Riegner, "NightOf Pogrom;"
Levin: 80-81; Sanders: 444-450; see map "Destruction ofthe
Synagogues" in Gilbert, Atlas Holocaust.
16. Dawidowicz: 137; Levin: 90-94; Sanders: 453.
17. Dawidowicz: 138-139; Yahil: 113; Rossel: 27.
Return To [83]Hannah Rosen's Diary
18. The Jews returned to Germany and certain death. NYT 2 June 1939,
p. 1;Kurt Rothschild interview; Levin: 141-142; Yahil: 119;
Sanders: 466-467;Lipstadt: 116-121; Breitman and Kraut: 70-73;
Herbert Druks, The Failure toRescue (New York: Robert Speller &
Sons, Publishers, Inc., 1977): 19-25; seemap "The Voyage of the
St. Louis" in Martin Gilbert, The IllustratedAtlas of Jewish
Civilization: 4,000 Years of Jewish History (New York:Macmillan
Publishing Company, 1990).
19. "The Jews of Europe: How to Help Them," New Republic, 30
August1943, 299-315; Wyman, Abandonment: 5-6; Druks: 8-13;
Breitman and Kraut:112-125. In Wyman, Paper Walls: 73-98,Wyman
explains that this unwillingnesswas true even with regard to
children. Even though Democratic Senator RobertF. Wagner of New
York and Republican Representative Edith Nourse Rogers
ofMassachusetts introduced the Wagner-Rogers bill to permit 20,000
German refugeechildren under the age of 14 to come to the United
States, Congress refused toact. The State Department opposed it
and the White House was silent --evenEleanor Roosevelt.
20. 20 Levin: 191.
21. Breitman and Kraut: 236-249.
22. Nahum Goldmann came to America from Geneva in the summer of 1940.
SwissWJC Representative Gerhard M. Riegner, communication with
author, 4 April 1995,facsimile.
23. Eleanor Roosevelt and the President were in conflict because
EleanorRoosevelt wanted FDR to do more to help Jewish refugees,
especially children. Doris Kearns Goodwin, No Ordinary Time.
Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt: The HomeFront in World War II (New
York: Simon & Schuster, 1994).
24. This is based on a true story. Ilse Rothschild interview.
25. Breitman and Kraut: 135; Druks: 12.
Return To [84]Hannah Rosen's Diary
26. This is based on what happened to the author's great grandfather
LouisRothschild. Kurt Rothschild interview.
27. Kurt Rothschild interview.
28. Levin: 186.
29. Breitman and Kraut: 135-136
30. New Republic, 312. According to this article: A few simple figures
willshow how immigration has been reduced from year to year until
we have reachedthe point at which it has become insignificant. The
following are the officialfigures for the total number of
immigration visas issued for the war years andemigrant aliens
leaving: Number of Emigrant emigrant aliens leaving: Numberof
Emigrant Aliens Fiscal Year Immigrants Leaving 1939 82,998 26,651
1940 70,756 21,461 1941 51,776 17,115 1942 28,781 7,363 These
figures areespecially significant in the light of the fact that
under the law a totalannual immigration of 153,774 is permitted
from quota countries alone, which, ofcourse, do not include Canada
and other Western Hemisphere countries. Anexamination of the
figures shows that within the framework of the existingimmigration
law some half-million additional people could have been
admittedfrom quota countries.
31. This hope turned out to be dead wrong. Breitman and Kraut: 136.
32. The New York Herald Tribune (NYHT), 30 June 1942, p. 1; Lipstadt:
166.
33. Lipstadt: 164.
34. Wyman, Abandonment: 22.
Return To [85]Hannah Rosen's Diary
35. Riegner interview.
36. This is the famous "Riegner telegram" which provided some of
theearliest details of the "Final Solution." Gerhart M.
Riegner,Telegram to Rabbi Stephen S. Wise via the U.S. State
Department and via theLondon Foreign Office to Sydney Silverman,
August 1942, Geneva, Switzerland, inLaqueur & Breitman; Riegner,
"From the Night of the Pogrom," 21 3(1988): 9-12.
37. Sydney Silverman was the British representative of the WJC and a
Member ofParliament who received the telegram August 17 and began
a debate in the British Parliament. Monty Noam Penkower, The Jews
Were Expendable: Free WorldDiplomacy and the Holocaust, (Detroit:
Wayne State University Press, 1988):65-69; Breitman and Kraut:
148-149; Laqueur & Breitman: 147-152.
38. The State Department held back the telegram from Rabbi Wise
because ofconcerns that it might "stir up a fuss". Laqueur &
Breitman:149-152; Wyman, Abandonment: 43-44.
39. Laqueur & Breitman: 152-160; Breitman and Kraut: 152-157;
Wyman,Abandonment: 44-51; Raul Hilberg, The Destruction of the
European Jews (NewYork, Homes & Meier, 1985): 314-322.
40. Riegner interview; Wyman, Abandonment: 46-55.
41. NYT, 25 November 1942, p. 10.
42. NYHT, 25 November 1942, p. 1; Wyman, Abandonment: 61; Lipstadt:
181.
43. NYT, 25 November 1942, p. 10.
44. NYT, 26 November 1942, p. 16.
Return To [86]Hannah Rosen's Diary
45. NYT, 2 December 1942, p. 12.
46. NYT, 22 July 1942, p. 1.
47. Lipstadt: 186.
48. Laqueur & Breitman: 161-163; Penkower: 85-86.
49. NYT, 18 December 1942, p. 1. Those ten countries included:
Belgium, Czechoslovakia, Greece, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway,
Poland, Soviet Union,Britain, and Yugoslavia.
50. NYT, 14 July 1938, p. 15. In NYT, 4 March 1943, p. 9, the U.S.
onceagain expresses concern for fate of refugees; Sanders:
532-535; Druks: 39-44;Wyman, Abandonment: 104-123.
51. Letter to Undersecretary of State Sumner Welles, from Rabbi
Stephen S. Wise, president of the American Jewish Congress. New
York, May 3, 1943 andLetter to U.S. Legation in Bern, from
Secretary of State Cordell Hull.Washington, D.C. , May 16, 1943 in
America and the Holocaust: A Thirteen VolumeSet Documenting the
Editor's Book, The Abandonment of the Jews, vol. 6, ed. David S.
Wyman (Massachusetts: Garland Publishing, 1990).
52. Breitman and Kraut: 184-188.
53. Karski had disguised himself as a policeman to observe inside the
WarsawGhetto and the Belzec concentration camp. Gay Block and
Malka Drucker,Rescuers: Portraits of Moral Courage in the
Holocaust (New York: Holmes &Meier Publishers, Inc., 1992): 173.
In this book of interviews, Karski is quotedas saying: 'I will
return to Poland, Mr. President. What shall I tell mypeople?'
Roosevelt replied, 'You will tell them we shall win the war and
theenemy will be punished for their crimes. Justice will prevail.
Tell yournation that they have a friend in this house. This is
what you will tell them.' See also E. Thomas Wood and Stanislaw M.
Jankowski, Karski: How One Man Triedto Stop the Holocaust, (New
York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1994): 196-201;Walter Laqueur, The
Terrible Secret: Suppression of the Truth About Hitler's'Final
Solution' (Boston: Little, Brown and Company, 1980): 229-238.
Return To [87]Hannah Rosen's Diary
54. The committee was the Committee on Foreign Affairs of the House
ofRepresentatives. Commenting on Long's testimony, Rep. Emmanuel
Celler said, ...Long says that the door to the oppressed is open,
but that it "has beencarefully screened." What he should have said
is "barlocked andbolted." By the act of 1924, we are permitted to
admit approximately150,000 immigrants each year. During the last
fiscal year only 23,725 came asimmigrants. Of these only 4,705
were Jews fleeing Nazi persecution.
See "Reportto the Secretary of the Acquiescence of the Government
in the Murder of theJews," initialed by Randolph Paul for the
Foreign Funds Control Unit of theTreasury Department, January 13,
1944, in FDR, Morgenthau Diaries 693/212-229 inAmerica and the
Holocaust: A Thirteen Volume Set Documenting the Editor's Book,The
Abandonment of the Jews, vol. 6, ed. David S. Wyman
(Massachusetts:Garland Publishing, 1990), pp. 228-29.
55. NYT, 11 December 1943, p. 1; "Report to the Secretary."
56. "Report to the Secretary;" Breitman and Kraut: 188-190.
57. NYT, 2 January 1944, p. 9. Less than two weeks later, Members of
Congressalso accused the State Department of sabotage.
58. This refers to the meeting on January 16, 1944 between Treasury
Departmentofficials (Secretary Henry Morgenthau, Jr., Randolph
Paul and John Pehle) withPresident Roosevelt regarding the State
Department's delay of rescue efforts anddeceiving Congress about
how many refugees had entered America. Wyman,Abandonment; "Report
to the Secretary;" Breitman and Kraut: 189-190;Yahil: 609.
59. This refers to the conflict between the two Departments, but
especially tothe efforts by Breckinridge Long to deceive the
Treasury Department. U.S. Government official John W. Pehle,
interview by author, 16 February 1995, bytelephone, Montgomery
County, MD.
60. NYT, 5 February 1944, p. 7; U. S. President Executive Order
9417,Federal Register, vol. 9, no. 18, 26 January 1944, p. 935;
NYT, 6 February1944, p. 26 which reports Allied governments are
addressing the refugeeproblem; Wyman, Abandonment: 209-21;
Lipstadt: 227-228; Breitman and Kraut: 191.
61. 61 In his interview, John Pehle said: It [WRB] was established
very late. The war was almost over. But it changed the policy of
the United States. Instead of interfering with Jews being rescued,
we had a chance of seeing thatall Jews who could be rescued were.
With limited time and resources, it stilldid some good.
62. Martin Gilbert, Auschwitz and the Allies, 303-306; Wyman,
Abandonment:291-305; Richard Breitman, "American Inaction During
the Holocaust,"Dimensions, February 1994, pp. 7-8.
63. Wyman, Abandonment: 255-287; Breitman and Kraut: 191-219.
Return To [88]Hannah Rosen's Diary

64. Penkower: 285.
65. NYT, 5 February 1944, p. 7; Wyman, Abandonment: 210-215; Breitman:
7;Breitman and Kraut: 191-198.
66. Polish diplomat and rescuer Jan Karski, interview by author, 9
February1995, Chevy Chase, MD.
67. The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum was officially
dedicated onApril 23, 1993.
68. Jan Karski interview.

May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
the rain fall soft upon your fields,
and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.
--****ATTENTION****--****ATTENTION****--****ATTENTION****--***ATTENTION***
Your e-mail reply to this message WILL be *automatically* ANONYMIZED.
Please, report inappropriate use to ab...@anon.penet.fi
For information (incl. non-anon reply) write to he...@anon.penet.fi
If you have any problems, address them to ad...@anon.penet.fi

Nele Abels

Jul 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/30/96

>an57...@anon.penet.fi (Vyshinsky) wrote:
[snip]

>> Not only the usual feminist bullshit but clear evidence that "in house" the
>> atttitude towards the holocaust is rather completely off of the wall.

> Excerpts From

>"The Diary of Hannah Rosen:
>Europe's Jews and America'sResponse, 1937-1945"
> by Elizabeth S. Rothschild

[snip]

And your point is what?

Nele