Cultural Literacy

Kim

Jun 23, 2001, 7:11:35 PM6/23/01
Ok Guys -

I just realized my husband is a cultural moron.

I got some new DVD's today and wanted to share my excitement. So - to
emphasize my point - I used catch lines from the movies to let him know what
*great* movies I got.

His blank stare told all. He didn't get *one*!!! How could that be? Now,
these weren't *difficult* movies - I love classics. Here goes:

1. Squeal like a piggy.

2. I'd like to introduce you to my little friend

3. I'm going to get medieval on your ass.

4. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn

Now, surely everyone recognizes what movies I got.

Question (point).

When do you know you have failed in cultural literacy - what would you
*have* to know to be considered culturally literate - is there a test? Is
there a different grading system for different age groups? Am I expecting
too much of my husband - or is he *really* a cultural moron?

Are there other catch phrases from movies he should know - and that I can
ask him to *see* if he knows?
--

Kim
www.vtgenealogy.com

*Behind every successful man is a surprised mother in law*

Joe Shimkus

Jun 23, 2001, 7:20:30 PM6/23/01
In article <Cl9Z6.5561$f4.1...@e420r-atl1.usenetserver.com>,
"Kim" <ki...@NOSPAMfamily-net.org> wrote:

> Are there other catch phrases from movies he should know - and that I can
> ask him to *see* if he knows?

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

Oh, my God! It's full of stars.

Klatu barada nicto.

They call me Mr. Tibbs.

Rosebud.

- Joe

--
Why is Bush's tax plan bad for the U.S.? Read "Fuzzy Math: The Essential Guide to the Bush Tax Plan."

--
PGP Key (DH/DSS): http://www.shimkus.com/public_key.asc
PGP Fingerprint: 89B4 52DA CF10 EE03 02AD 9134 21C6 2A68 CE52 EE1A

N Jill Marsh

Jun 23, 2001, 7:36:42 PM6/23/01
On Sat, 23 Jun 2001 19:11:35 -0400, "Kim"
<ki...@NOSPAMfamily-net.org>wrote:

>When do you know you have failed in cultural literacy - what would you
>*have* to know to be considered culturally literate - is there a test? Is
>there a different grading system for different age groups? Am I expecting
>too much of my husband - or is he *really* a cultural moron?

Dunno, no (1). Yes. Yes, maybe.

Maybe he's better described as pop-culturally illiterate for a person
of his nationality, background, education, gender and age. Personally
I wouldn't consider any failure to identify your examples to be much
of an indication of anything other than not being terribly interest in
your-taste-in-movies minutae (2).

nj"why should he know any of them?"m

(1) okay, I have one, you have to identify the source and context of
every one of my sigs in the last two years, or I get to call you a
cultural moron. They're all easy as pie, but I'll even give you a
pass on five of them. Your choice.

(2) and I got them all, signs of time poorly spent maybe?

"Poor me beside her, pale and red-eyed,
held together by rashes and sores."

Hank Gillette

Jun 23, 2001, 8:06:44 PM6/23/01
In article <Cl9Z6.5561$f4.1...@e420r-atl1.usenetserver.com>,
"Kim" <ki...@NOSPAMfamily-net.org> wrote:

> 1. Squeal like a piggy.
>
> 2. I'd like to introduce you to my little friend
>
> 3. I'm going to get medieval on your ass.
>
> 4. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn
>
> Now, surely everyone recognizes what movies I got.

Not everyone. I know 1 and 4, 3 sounds familiar, but as for 2, it's been
a long time since I've watched a porn movie.

> Question (point).
>
> When do you know you have failed in cultural literacy - what would you
> *have* to know to be considered culturally literate - is there a test?

There was actually a book out a few years ago, list what the author
thought Americans ought to know. It's title strangely, was:

"Cultural Literacy : What Every American Needs to Know" by E.D. Hirsch
Jr.

JmG

Jun 23, 2001, 9:19:11 PM6/23/01
On Sat, 23 Jun 2001 19:11:35 -0400, "Kim" <ki...@NOSPAMfamily-net.org> wrote:

>|2. I'd like to introduce you to my little friend
>|
>|3. I'm going to get medieval on your ass.

?

Bob E.

Jun 24, 2001, 12:05:43 AM6/24/01

Somebody's definition of culture, oddly enough. --Bob

Bob Ellingson bo...@halted.com
Halted Specialties Co., Inc. http://www.halted.com
3500 Ryder St. (408) 732-1573
Santa Clara, Calif. 95051 USA (408) 732-6428 (FAX)

Helge Moulding

Jun 24, 2001, 12:10:17 AM6/24/01
Kim wrote,

> I just realized my husband is a cultural moron.

Apparently, so am I.

> 1. Squeal like a piggy.

Huh? This is a catch phrase?

> 2. I'd like to introduce you to my little friend

Sounds like something Clint Eastwood might say.

> 3. I'm going to get medieval on your ass.

Actually, I thought this was a line from WWF.

> 4. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn

Hey! I know that one. "But Rhett, what *am* I going to
do?" "Eat my grits!"

> When do you know you have failed in cultural literacy

Certainly not when you haven't seen the last twenty years'
crop of cinematic crap. Though since I don't recognize your
references, and since there are a number of movies that I
wanted to see but never did, I can't tell if they were crap.

Cultural literacy isn't determined by *pop* culture, in my
opinion, so I'd let your husband off the hook, for now. Of
course, if he doesn't know the story of the fox and the
stork, or know who Leibniz was, or know where they have
Shinto Buddhism, then I'd start to worry.
--
Helge Moulding
mailto:hmou...@excite.com Just another guy

Helge Moulding

Jun 24, 2001, 12:22:53 AM6/24/01
Joe Shimkus wrote,

> Oh, my God! It's full of stars.

I feel I ought to recognize this one. Is that from 2001,
when Dave falls into the monolith? Believe it or not, but
I've never seen that movie from beginning to end.

> Klatu barada nicto.

Never saw it, but I do know this is "The Day the Earth
Stood Still."

> They call me Mr. Tibbs.

Um. A quick Google search brings up a forgettable 1970 crime
flick starring Sidney Poitier.

> Rosebud.

Citizen Kane. I started watching it once, and kinda lost my
enthusiasm about ten minutes into it.

But, see, Kim, *these* are catch phrases. People recognize
the reference *even though* they never saw the movie. Now,
possibly we have a generational gap, too. I'm 43. How old is
Joe? How old are you?

Joe Shimkus

Jun 24, 2001, 12:43:02 AM6/24/01
In article <9h3q0m$1ij0$1...@si05.rsvl.unisys.com>,
"Helge Moulding" <hmou...@excite.com> wrote:

> Joe Shimkus wrote,
> > Oh, my God! It's full of stars.
>
> I feel I ought to recognize this one. Is that from 2001,
> when Dave falls into the monolith?

Yes.

> But, see, Kim, *these* are catch phrases. People recognize
> the reference *even though* they never saw the movie. Now,
> possibly we have a generational gap, too. I'm 43. How old is
> Joe? How old are you?

I'm pushing 38 (just where am I pushing it is a different question).

ctc...@hotmail.com

Jun 24, 2001, 12:46:06 AM6/24/01
"Kim" <ki...@NOSPAMfamily-net.org> wrote:

> His blank stare told all. He didn't get *one*!!! How could that be? Now,
> these weren't *difficult* movies - I love classics. Here goes:
>
> 1. Squeal like a piggy.

A movie with some inbred guy playing a banjo.

> 2. I'd like to introduce you to my little friend

Silence the Lambs

> 3. I'm going to get medieval on your ass.

Kingpin

> 4. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn

Gone with the Wind.

Xho

Usenet for the Web

ctc...@hotmail.com

Jun 24, 2001, 12:48:47 AM6/24/01
Joe Shimkus <j...@shimkus.com> wrote:

> What we have here is a failure to communicate.

Ferris Beuler's day off

> Oh, my God! It's full of stars.

Contact.

> Klatu barada nicto.

Something with George Burns in it.

> They call me Mr. Tibbs.

Mr. Tibbs Goes to Washington

> Rosebud.

That movie with a bunch of whites beating up and burning a bunch of
blacks.

Xhoron

Just this guy ya know

Jun 24, 2001, 1:09:20 AM6/24/01
>I got some new DVD's today and wanted to share my excitement. So - to
>emphasize my point - I used catch lines from the movies to let him know
>what *great* movies I got.

You paid dollars for a bunch of movies you already seen?

>His blank stare told all. He didn't get *one*!!! How could that be?

And you think your hubby is the wierdo?

You can tell when times are good. Why, you proly pay more for water than gas.
Johnny

For the benefit of Spambots everywhere:

webmaster@localhost
abuse@localhost
postmaster@localhost
fr...@uspis.gov
u...@ftc.gov
na...@127.0.0.1
na...@example.com

Paul Guertin

Jun 24, 2001, 1:16:43 AM6/24/01
"Kim" <ki...@NOSPAMfamily-net.org> wrote:

> I just realized my husband is a cultural moron.
> >

> His blank stare told all. He didn't get *one*!!! How could that be? Now,
> these weren't *difficult* movies - I love classics. Here goes:
>
> 1. Squeal like a piggy.
> 2. I'd like to introduce you to my little friend
> 3. I'm going to get medieval on your ass.
> 4. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn

Nope, nope, nope, maybe.

Looks like I'm a cultural moron too. Or maybe someone who just doesn't
watch movies very much.

I've heard some of them used before and recognized them as references
to something I didn't know. Is there a word for this? Linker errors,
maybe. Anyway, it happens to me all the time.

Paul Guertin
p...@sff.net

Nostradamus (no longer a Jingleheimerschmidt)

Jun 24, 2001, 1:58:31 AM6/24/01
On Sat, 23 Jun 2001 22:10:17 -0600, "Helge Moulding"
<hmou...@excite.com> wrote:

>Cultural literacy isn't determined by *pop* culture, in my
>opinion, so I'd let your husband off the hook, for now. Of
>course, if he doesn't know the story of the fox and the
>stork, or know who Leibniz was, or know where they have
>Shinto Buddhism, then I'd start to worry.
>--

I suggest we test him with something along these lines:

1. Name the author of Summa Theologica.
2. Provide a proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
3. Name at least one signer of the Declaration of Independence.
4. Who was the Merchant of Venice?
5. Who made the "I Have a Dream" speech?
6. What is polyphony?
7. What is the Hajj?
8. Where is the Belgian Congo?
9. Who was Kong-fu zi?
10. Who is Tracy Marrow?

I'm not claiming this is the perfect list with which to test hubby's
cultural literacy, but I think it ain't bad. What do you say?

GrapeApe

Jun 24, 2001, 2:09:41 AM6/24/01
>> 1. Squeal like a piggy.
>
>A movie with some inbred guy playing a banjo.

Misquote too I think.

Nostradamus (no longer a Jingleheimerschmidt)

Jun 24, 2001, 2:14:57 AM6/24/01
Let's add:

11. What is a clutch basket?

Jay R. Ashworth

Jun 24, 2001, 2:24:57 AM6/24/01
*Right* in the middle of the appendectomy, Kim turned

to Hawkeye and me and said:
> 1. Squeal like a piggy.

Deliverance?

> 2. I'd like to introduce you to my little friend

Nope; me neither.

> 3. I'm going to get medieval on your ass.

Weird Al's video for Amish Paradise?

> 4. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn

The Wind Done Gone.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth j...@baylink.com
Member of the Technical Staff Baylink

OS X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows

Jay R. Ashworth

Jun 24, 2001, 2:27:30 AM6/24/01
*Right* in the middle of the appendectomy, Paul Guertin turned

to Hawkeye and me and said:
> I've heard some of them used before and recognized them as references
> to something I didn't know. Is there a word for this? Linker errors,
> maybe. Anyway, it happens to me all the time.

Precisely.

The code is making a library reference, and you don't have the proper
library loaded.

Mark Brader

Jun 24, 2001, 3:25:56 AM6/24/01
Hmm... I recognized only one of Kim's catchphrases, but all of Joe's.
I think these two haven't been identified yet:

> What we have here is a failure to communicate.

Cool Hand Luke.

> They call me Mr. Tibbs.

In the Heat of the Night.
--
Mark Brader "I can say nothing at this point."
Toronto "Well, you were wrong."

Shawn Wilson

Jun 24, 2001, 3:27:03 AM6/24/01

"Kim" <ki...@NOSPAMfamily-net.org> wrote in message

> 1. Squeal like a piggy.

Deliverance

> 2. I'd like to introduce you to my little friend

Dirty Harry?

> 3. I'm going to get medieval on your ass.

Pulp Fiction?

> 4. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn

Gone With the Wind.

Shawn Wilson

Jun 24, 2001, 3:45:28 AM6/24/01

"Joe Shimkus" <j...@shimkus.com> wrote in message

> What we have here is a failure to communicate.

Some prison movie. Brubaker?

> Oh, my God! It's full of stars.

2001: A Space Odyssey.

> Klatu barada nicto.

The Day the Earth Stood Still.

> They call me Mr. Tibbs.

In the Heat of the Night.

> Rosebud.

Citizen Kane.

My questions-

"I have a bad feeling about this."

"Do ya feel lucky?"

"An intelligent carrot?"

Never go against a Sicilian when death's on the line."

"Oh, that's alright, we're married."

"Yippie ki yay, motherfucker."

"I see dead people."

"What's your favorite scary movie."

Dutch Jingleheimerschmidt

Jun 24, 2001, 4:12:51 AM6/24/01
Date: 6/24/2001 12:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time writes:

>Joe Shimkus wrote,
>> Oh, my God! It's full of stars.
>
>I feel I ought to recognize this one. Is that from 2001,
>when Dave falls into the monolith? Believe it or not, but
>I've never seen that movie from beginning to end.

Huh. But that's kind of the point of cultural literacy. You don't have to have
read "Wealth of Nations," you just have to be able to match Adam Smith to
"Invisible Hand."

>> Klatu barada nicto.
>
>Never saw it, but I do know this is "The Day the Earth
>Stood Still."
>
>> They call me Mr. Tibbs.
>
>Um. A quick Google search brings up a forgettable 1970 crime
>flick starring Sidney Poitier.

Forgettable?

>> Rosebud.
>
>Citizen Kane. I started watching it once, and kinda lost my
>enthusiasm about ten minutes into it.

Well, your bad.

-"Ain't gonna hang no picture, ain't gonna hang no picture frame
ain't gonna hang no picture, ain't gonna hang no picture frame
Well, I might look like Robert Ford, but I feel just like Jesse James"

Alan Hamilton

Jun 24, 2001, 4:16:22 AM6/24/01
On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 00:43:02 -0400, Joe Shimkus <j...@shimkus.com>
wrote:

>> Joe Shimkus wrote,
>> > Oh, my God! It's full of stars.
>>
>> I feel I ought to recognize this one. Is that from 2001,
>> when Dave falls into the monolith?
>
>Yes.

Nope. In "2001", the camera pans up from the monolith floating in
space, then the streaky light show starts shooting out from a point in
space. There's no dialog.

The line is actually from "2010". They seem to have done a good job
retconning "2001", though, if people are remembering this from the
original picture.
--
/
/ * / Alan Hamilton

Dutch Jingleheimerschmidt

Jun 24, 2001, 4:35:40 AM6/24/01
Date: 6/24/2001 12:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time writes:

>Kim wrote,
>> I just realized my husband is a cultural moron.
>
>Apparently, so am I.
>
>> 1. Squeal like a piggy.
>
>Huh? This is a catch phrase?

I think it's just "pig." Often combined with references to someone having a
pretty mouth.

Deliverance, you turd. Very important movie. People who've never actually seen
deliverance immediately know you're talking about scary rednecks who might be
inbred when you say something about banjo players.

>> 3. I'm going to get medieval on your ass.
>
>Actually, I thought this was a line from WWF.

No, Charlie Verrick, by way of Pulp Fiction.

>> 4. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn
>
>Hey! I know that one. "But Rhett, what *am* I going to
>do?" "Eat my grits!"
>
>> When do you know you have failed in cultural literacy
>
>Certainly not when you haven't seen the last twenty years'
>crop of cinematic crap.

Charlie Verrick and Deliverance are older than 20 years, and of course not
properly characterized by "crap."

> Though since I don't recognize your
>references, and since there are a number of movies that I
>wanted to see but never did, I can't tell if they were crap.

But, um...how can you not have figured that out? I mean, I knew the deal with
deliverance before I ever saw it. Everyone knows that's the movie where the
city dwellers are attacked by vengeful rednecks, and Ned Beatty gets raped. How
can you appreciate the Simpsons, for example, if you don't know about stuff
like that?

>Cultural literacy isn't determined by *pop* culture, in my
>opinion,

Well, it's not the sum of it, of course, but a fair knowledge of it is...you
know, if you couldn't pick out allusions to Beatles songs or Deliverance, you
know, you'd be at a disadvantage.

>so I'd let your husband off the hook, for now. Of
>course, if he doesn't know the story of the fox and the
>stork, or know who Leibniz was, or know where they have
>Shinto Buddhism, then I'd start to worry.

Nah, that's just exactly backwards. I mean, you're probably not going to see a
newspaper story where a reference to Leibniz is used to quickly convey a lot of
information, but you will see one where Deliverance is used in this way. I
mean, if you had no idea what Star Wars was, or what it was about, you'd
probably have some trouble understanding what is meant when SDI is referred to
as "Star Wars," huh?

Meanwhile, you'll note it's not called "Allegro from the second Brandenburg
Concerto Wars," is it?

Dutch "it's fine not to know things, just don't be proud of not knowing them"
Courage

Dutch Jingleheimerschmidt

Jun 24, 2001, 4:38:47 AM6/24/01
n...@nostradamus.net (Nostradamus (no longer a Jingleheimerschmidt)) writes:

>1. Name the author of Summa Theologica.
>2. Provide a proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
>3. Name at least one signer of the Declaration of Independence.
>4. Who was the Merchant of Venice?
>5. Who made the "I Have a Dream" speech?
>6. What is polyphony?
>7. What is the Hajj?
>8. Where is the Belgian Congo?
>9. Who was Kong-fu zi?
>10. Who is Tracy Marrow?
>
>I'm not claiming this is the perfect list with which to test hubby's
>cultural literacy, but I think it ain't bad. What do you say?

Lousy. Hardly any Americans really have to know Confucious's real name.
merchant of venice good, I have a dream good, rest...not so good. Cultural
literacy isn't just knowing a lot of obscure shit, you know.

Mark Brader

Jun 24, 2001, 4:39:09 AM6/24/01
Joe Shimkus quoted:

Helge Moulding guessed:

Joe Shimkus said:
>> Yes.

And Alan Hamilton says:
> Nope. In "2001" ... There's no dialog.

> The line is actually from "2010".

Hmm. I guess the original context was movie quotes, which makes Alan
right. However, in terms of general cultural literacy, Joe and Helge
are right. The line *is* originally from "2001: A Space Odyssey" --
the book, not the movie.
--
Mark Brader "It is always dangerous to send authors to jail.
Toronto This removes their chief excuse for not writing."

mike

Jun 24, 2001, 4:57:20 AM6/24/01

"Bob E." <bob...@halted.com> wrote in message

> JmG wrote:

izzat "say hello to my little friend"?

JmG

Jun 24, 2001, 6:30:32 AM6/24/01
On 24 Jun 2001 05:58:31 GMT, n...@nostradamus.net (Nostradamus (no longer a
Jingleheimerschmidt)) wrote:

>|I suggest we test him with something along these lines:

Okay, without cheating now:

>|1. Name the author of Summa Theologica.

No idea.

>|2. Provide a proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.

a2+b2=c2

>|3. Name at least one signer of the Declaration of Independence.

Button Gwinnet

>|4. Who was the Merchant of Venice?

The stereotypical Jew, thanks to Billy Shakespeare

>|5. Who made the "I Have a Dream" speech?

Martin Luther King

>|6. What is polyphony?

A (musical) chord.

>|7. What is the Hajj?

The pilgrimage to Mecca

>|8. Where is the Belgian Congo?

In Africa, though the name has changed.

>|9. Who was Kong-fu zi?

I am forgetful, Grasshopper.

>|10. Who is Tracy Marrow?

I haven't a clue.

Oriole Adams

Jun 24, 2001, 9:49:15 AM6/24/01
>"Yippie ki yay, motherfucker."

Die Hard, the first one, the only *good* one, and that was thanks to Alan
Rickman.

~ Oriole ~~
The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw...

Jay R. Ashworth

Jun 24, 2001, 10:12:52 AM6/24/01
*Right* in the middle of the appendectomy, Dutch Jingleheimerschmidt turned

to Hawkeye and me and said:
> Nah, that's just exactly backwards. I mean, you're probably not
> going to see a newspaper story where a reference to Leibniz is used
> to quickly convey a lot of information, but you will see one where
> Deliverance is used in this way. I mean, if you had no idea what Star
> Wars was, or what it was about, you'd probably have some trouble
> understanding what is meant when SDI is referred to as "Star Wars,"
> huh?

Knowing anything about the movie isn't likely to help you even one
little bit in figuring out anything about the misguided government
boondoggle.

Cheers,
-- jr 'how does it detect a nuclear mine in a speed boat?' a

Boron Elgar

Jun 24, 2001, 10:31:22 AM6/24/01
On Sat, 23 Jun 2001 22:22:53 -0600, "Helge Moulding"
<hmou...@excite.com> wrote:

>> They call me Mr. Tibbs.
>
>Um. A quick Google search brings up a forgettable 1970 crime
>flick starring Sidney Poitier.

Actually, the line was first spoken by Sidney Poitier in the film "In
the Heat of the Night," with Rod Steiger. (1967) The line was then
used as the title of the 2nd film.

Boron

David Wilton

Jun 24, 2001, 10:37:40 AM6/24/01
<hmou...@excite.com> wrote:

>> They call me Mr. Tibbs.
>
>Um. A quick Google search brings up a forgettable 1970 crime
>flick starring Sidney Poitier.

The line is originally from "In the Heat of the Night," which is quite
unforgettable and very, very good. The 1970 sequel is indeed
forgettable.

--Dave Wilton
da...@wilton.net
http://www.wordorigins.org

David Wilton

Jun 24, 2001, 10:43:11 AM6/24/01
wrote:

>2. I'd like to introduce you to my little friend

Ok, what is this from? I haven't seen anyone on this group identify it
yet, and it's bothering me.

N Jill Marsh

Jun 24, 2001, 10:50:11 AM6/24/01
On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 07:43:11 -0700, David Wilton
<da...@wilton.net>wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Jun 2001 19:11:35 -0400, "Kim" <ki...@NOSPAMfamily-net.org>
>wrote:
>
>>2. I'd like to introduce you to my little friend
>
>Ok, what is this from? I haven't seen anyone on this group identify it
>yet, and it's bothering me.

Assuming it's slightly misquoted ("say hello to my little friend"), I
thought "Scarface".

nj"wishing I was more of a cultural moron, and didn't know it"m

"Poor me beside her, pale and red-eyed,
held together by rashes and sores."

Bob E.

Jun 24, 2001, 1:04:22 PM6/24/01
David Wilton wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jun 2001 19:11:35 -0400, "Kim" <ki...@NOSPAMfamily-net.org>
> wrote:
>
> >2. I'd like to introduce you to my little friend
>
> Ok, what is this from? I haven't seen anyone on this group identify it
> yet, and it's bothering me.

I'm guessing they are referring to Al Pacino's line from "Scarface"...
"Say hello to my little friend". Again, if this defines a high point
of our culture, I shudder. --Bob

Matt Miller

Jun 24, 2001, 1:07:34 PM6/24/01
In article <Cl9Z6.5561$f4.1...@e420r-atl1.usenetserver.com>,
ki...@NOSPAMfamily-net.org says...
>Ok Guys -

>I just realized my husband is a cultural moron.
>
>I got some new DVD's today and wanted to share my excitement. So - to
>emphasize my point - I used catch lines from the movies to let him know what
>*great* movies I got.
>
>His blank stare told all. He didn't get *one*!!! How could that be? Now,
>these weren't *difficult* movies - I love classics. Here goes:
>
>1. Squeal like a piggy.

It's "pig" not "piggy" and it may not always register if you don't
do it with the accent.

Check out http://www.squeallikeapig.com

>2. I'd like to introduce you to my little friend

Sounds familiar but I can't quite place it.

>3. I'm going to get medieval on your ass.

Popularized by Pulp Fiction. But it's not "I'm" its "They're"
referring to the "Pipe-hitting niggers" Ving Rhames is going to gather.

You seem to be going for an anal-rape theme here BTW.

>4. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn

Not recognising this is pretty bad.

>Now, surely everyone recognizes what movies I got.
>
>Question (point).
>
>When do you know you have failed in cultural literacy - what would you
>*have* to know to be considered culturally literate - is there a test? Is
>there a different grading system for different age groups? Am I expecting
>too much of my husband - or is he *really* a cultural moron?

In terms of pop-culture literacy the grading system is quite
complex and takes into account a number of factors. But not getting
number 4 may mean your husband is in need of remedial sitting around and
watching TV.

--
Matt Miller
"The Dumber people think you are,

Earthlink Sucks

artyw

Jun 24, 2001, 1:29:51 PM6/24/01
"Shawn Wilson" <shawn....@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<sUgZ6.5382$kx3.5...@bgtnsc06-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...

> "Joe Shimkus" <j...@shimkus.com> wrote in message
>

> My questions-
>

> "I have a bad feeling about this."
Jaws?

> "Do ya feel lucky?"
Dirty Harry

> Never go against a Sicilian when death's on the line."
The Godfather?

I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore.

You want me to hold the chicken salad?
I want you to hold it between your knees.

You cant fight here, this is the War room.

I'll be Back

Life is like a box of chocolates

Jose (JRDelirio) Diaz

Jun 24, 2001, 2:13:58 PM6/24/01

<20010624043847...@ng-cf1.aol.com>...

writes:

> Lousy. Hardly any Americans really have to know Confucious's real
name.
>merchant of venice good, I have a dream good, rest...not so good.
Cultural
>literacy isn't just knowing a lot of obscure shit, you know.

Dutch is right -- people can be culturally literate and even display
well-above-average book- AND street- smarts w/o accumulating the data
required to run Cecil Adams' office for a month w. no outside
assistance. Besides, many of the commonly bandied-about shorthand
"cultural referents" are quoted so much out of context or just plain
wrong (e.g. "survival of the fittest" is NOT from Darwin) that using
them in the "everyday standard" meaning almost requires your *not*
having paid close attention to the original work/event.

Justin Hiltscher

Jun 24, 2001, 2:20:54 PM6/24/01
In article <9h3q0m$1ij0$1...@si05.rsvl.unisys.com>, Helge Moulding wrote:
>Joe Shimkus wrote,

>> Oh, my God! It's full of stars.
>
>I feel I ought to recognize this one. Is that from 2001,
>when Dave falls into the monolith? Believe it or not, but
>I've never seen that movie from beginning to end.

Actually, it's kinda funny, that one. It's from 2010, supposedly
quoting David Bowman's last transmission, but that line was never
uttered in 2001, AFAIK. And I was watching for it, too. I saw them
in reverse order, orginally, and kept waiting for that line, only
for it not to materialize.

Justin "Pie! Easy as *pie*! Dumb!" Hiltscher

Justin Hiltscher

Jun 24, 2001, 2:36:14 PM6/24/01
In article <sUgZ6.5382$kx3.5...@bgtnsc06-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
Shawn Wilson wrote:

>"Joe Shimkus" <j...@shimkus.com> wrote in message
>

>"I have a bad feeling about this."

All movies (so far) with "Star Wars" in their title. Episode IV being
the first, chronologically.

>"Do ya feel lucky?"

Dirty Harry.

>"An intelligent carrot?"

Ouch! Got me.

>Never go against a Sicilian when death's on the line."

The Princess Bride. (Ahhha ha ha! Ahh ha ha ha! Ah ha ha... (thud))

>"Oh, that's alright, we're married."

Hmmm. Got me again.

>"Yippie ki yay, motherfucker."
Die hard. ('Now I have a machine gun too. Ho. Ho. Ho.')

>"I see dead people."
Sixth Sense.

>"What's your favorite scary movie."

Scream.

Justin Hiltscher

Jose (JRDelirio) Diaz

Jun 24, 2001, 2:44:03 PM6/24/01

artyw wrote in message
<611bbe0d.01062...@posting.google.com>...

>I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore.

but remember to yell it out your window...

>You want me to hold the chicken salad?
>I want you to hold it between your knees.

I think it was just "You want me to hold the chicken?"

>You cant fight here, this is the War room.

...purity of essence...

Last 2 obviated due to extreme recentness...

Kim

Jun 24, 2001, 3:15:45 PM6/24/01

"Dutch Jingleheimerschmidt" <mutigho...@aol.comMMMS> wrote in message

> But, um...how can you not have figured that out? I mean, I knew the deal
with
> deliverance before I ever saw it. Everyone knows that's the movie where
the
> city dwellers are attacked by vengeful rednecks, and Ned Beatty gets
raped. How
> can you appreciate the Simpsons, for example, if you don't know about
stuff
> like that?

Thank you - this was my entire point in a nutshell. I think that so much of
our "pop" culture is recycled from references to "older" pop culture, that
my husband *misses* a lot of the backhanded and often sly references that
others who are more literate in this stuff just *get*. Which is probably
*why* he hates "The Simpsons" - lots of references there. One of my favorite
episodes was the take-off with Sideshow Bob that was a complete re-telling
of Cape Fear. Having never *seen* Cape Fear - my husband thought the episode
sucked. If he *had* seen the original - he might have appreciated the
Simpson's take off a lot more.

Kim

Nostradamus (no longer a Jingleheimerschmidt)

Jun 24, 2001, 3:59:34 PM6/24/01

I was thinking more in the vein of "cultured and literate" rather than
"knowledgable in the things that most people in this society would
know about."

Sure my list was hard -- even I wouldn't get more than about half
right -- because I don't believe that if you miss some answers you are
illiterate. But I did try to spread the questions somewhat across
different eras and cultures.

Nostradamus (no longer a Jingleheimerschmidt)

Jun 24, 2001, 4:01:51 PM6/24/01
On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 15:15:45 -0400, "Kim" <ki...@NOSPAMfamily-net.org>
wrote:

You think your husband is an ignoramus because he can field-strip a
Harley but doesn't like the Simpsons?

Nostradamus (no longer a Jingleheimerschmidt)

Jun 24, 2001, 4:10:04 PM6/24/01
On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 17:04:22 GMT, "Bob E." <bob...@halted.com> wrote:

>I'm guessing they are referring to Al Pacino's line from "Scarface"...
>"Say hello to my little friend". Again, if this defines a high point
>of our culture, I shudder.

If it were a euphemism for his getting his period, I'd say it was an
important moment in our culture.

Kim

Jun 24, 2001, 4:28:34 PM6/24/01

"Nostradamus (no longer a Jingleheimerschmidt)" <n...@nostradamus.net> wrote
in message news:3b3645d6....@news.concentric.net...

> On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 15:15:45 -0400, "Kim" <ki...@NOSPAMfamily-net.org>

> You think your husband is an ignoramus because he can field-strip a

> Harley but doesn't like the Simpsons?

Naw - The Simpson's isn't really one of my favorites either - but he knows
*nothing* about the Knights that say Ni, he hates MadTV, and thinks the only
movie that really *needed* to be made was "Beyond the Law" (starring Charlie
Sheen).

Not exactly an ignoramus - just bordering on bizarre.

Kim

Shawn Wilson

Jun 24, 2001, 4:29:38 PM6/24/01

"Justin Hiltscher" <jus...@elvira.mntp1.il.home.com> wrote in message

> >"An intelligent carrot?"
>
> Ouch! Got me.

The Thing From Another world. Scientist describes the thing, listener
responds.

> >"Oh, that's alright, we're married."
> Hmmm. Got me again.

The Thin Man.

Cop pulls pistol from Nora Charles' bureau, comments on Sullivan Act (gun
control law). Nora responds with above, which is a play on the Mann Act
(regarding transporting women across state lines for immoral purposes).

Greg Goss

Jun 24, 2001, 4:56:33 PM6/24/01
"Helge Moulding" <hmou...@excite.com> wrote:

>Joe Shimkus wrote,
>> Oh, my God! It's full of stars.
>
>I feel I ought to recognize this one. Is that from 2001,
>when Dave falls into the monolith? Believe it or not, but
>I've never seen that movie from beginning to end.

They play the tape over and over again at various places in 2010,
wondering what he meant. I don't recall ever noticing him say it in
2001. I recall the approach to the stargate taking place in total
silence.

Greg Goss

Jun 24, 2001, 4:58:03 PM6/24/01

Greg Goss

Jun 24, 2001, 5:00:07 PM6/24/01
ar...@my-deja.com (artyw) wrote:

>> Never go against a Sicilian when death's on the line."
>The Godfather?

Feels like "The Princess Bride" to me.

>I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore.

Network? I've only seen it in commentary.

>You cant fight here, this is the War room.
>
>I'll be Back

You have to indicate the accent somehow.

>Life is like a box of chocolates

The author of the book hates that phrase

Greg Goss

Jun 24, 2001, 5:00:57 PM6/24/01
ar...@my-deja.com (artyw) wrote:

>> "I have a bad feeling about this."
>Jaws?

A Lucas film, not a Spielberg. But they've always hung out pretty
closely.

Greg Goss

Jun 24, 2001, 5:03:07 PM6/24/01
jus...@elvira.mntp1.il.home.com (Justin Hiltscher) wrote:

>>"I have a bad feeling about this."
>
>All movies (so far) with "Star Wars" in their title. Episode IV being
>the first, chronologically.

I haven't watched the whole of http://www.asciimation.co.nz/ which
also has Star Wars in the title. Does it include the ENTIRE script?

Greg Goss

Jun 24, 2001, 5:08:36 PM6/24/01
wrote:

>I suggest we test him with something along these lines:
>

>3. Name at least one signer of the Declaration of Independence.

List off insurance companies and banks. For some reason they like to
choose names from that document.

>8. Where is the Belgian Congo?

In the Congo valley.

>9. Who was Kong-fu zi?

I usually spell it Kung. He's a lot more famous under his latinized
name.

I only get six. Seven if you accept a really generic answer for
"Merchant".

Greg Goss

Jun 24, 2001, 5:08:52 PM6/24/01
wrote:

>11. What is a clutch basket?

It's where you keep all your eggs?

Asterbark

Jun 24, 2001, 5:12:18 PM6/24/01

I do my crosswords in pen, and I only say so to demonstrate that it doesn't
mean anything special.

--
Aster
"Do you know how many green potato chips you'd have to eat to kill yourself?

Mike Williams

Jun 24, 2001, 4:36:33 PM6/24/01
Wasn't it Justin Hiltscher who wrote:
>In article <sUgZ6.5382$kx3.5...@bgtnsc06-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
>Shawn Wilson wrote:

>>"An intelligent carrot?"
>
>Ouch! Got me.

It came from beyond space.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

GrapeApe

Jun 24, 2001, 5:30:38 PM6/24/01
>Thank you - this was my entire point in a nutshell. I think that so much
>of
>our "pop" culture is recycled from references to "older" pop culture, that
>my husband *misses* a lot of the backhanded and often sly references that
>others who are more literate in this stuff just *get*. Which is probably
>*why* he hates "The Simpsons" - lots of references there. One of my favorite
>episodes was the take-off with Sideshow Bob that was a complete re-telling
>of Cape Fear. Having never *seen* Cape Fear - my husband thought the episode
>sucked. If he *had* seen the original - he might have appreciated the
>Simpson's take off a lot more.

If I weren't such a cultural illiterate myself, I could remember the exact
wording of the quote that reads something along the lines of "ignorance of ones
culture is no excuse".

I would probably fail mightily in a quiz about television during the past 20
years, much of which I have ignored, but I have yet to have been exposed to a
cultural reference within the Simpsons that was not rather well known if not
obvious, anything that would raise a feeling of 'hmm, that might be a bit TOO
obscure". Of course, they could be shooting over my bow quite frequently,
given as I have only watched incidentally since the 3rd or fourth season.

There is a gag in Toy Story 2 , Buzz Lightyear under an elevator, to which the
directors say "Cape Fear" and roll all over themselves laffing. Well for one
thing, when someone says Cape Fear, I think of Mitchum rather than the De Niro
version the Toy Story chaps were referencing (not a terribly good turn for
Scorsese really), but I did have to be reminded there could have been such a
scene in what I am thinking is the DeNiro version. (or further more, several
other such he's hiding under the bed/elevator/in the axle of the truck cleches
from countless other suspense films.

Lalbert1

Jun 24, 2001, 5:44:15 PM6/24/01
In article <20010624171218...@ng-fw1.aol.com>,
aste...@aol.commiles (Asterbark) writes:

>I do my crosswords in pen, and I only say so to demonstrate that it doesn't
>mean anything special.

I also do the Times crossword in pen. There's a trick to it: just don't make
any mistakes.

Les

Asterbark

Jun 24, 2001, 5:55:08 PM6/24/01
lalb...@aol.com (Lalbert1) wrote:

What do you win? How long does the sense of accomplishment last?

I just started 'Inferno' in this month's World of Puzzles, but you still have
to get your postcard picked out of a barrel to win $1000. (5 runners-up win a
T-shirt).

Boron Elgar

Jun 24, 2001, 6:33:21 PM6/24/01
On 24 Jun 2001 10:29:51 -0700, ar...@my-deja.com (artyw) wrote:

>You cant fight here, this is the War room.

Dr. Strangelove

Boron

Lalbert1

Jun 24, 2001, 6:44:36 PM6/24/01
In article <20010624175508...@ng-fw1.aol.com>,
aste...@aol.commiles (Asterbark) writes:

>lalb...@aol.com (Lalbert1) wrote:
>>
>>In article <20010624171218...@ng-fw1.aol.com>,
>>aste...@aol.commiles (Asterbark) writes:
>>
>>>I do my crosswords in pen, and I only say so to demonstrate that it doesn't
>>>mean anything special.
>>
>>I also do the Times crossword in pen. There's a trick to it: just don't
>>make
>>any mistakes.
>

>What do you win? How long does the sense of accomplishment last?

I don't need to win anything; I just enjoy doing them. After completing a
puzzle the sense of accomplishment lasts about 10 seconds.

>I just started 'Inferno' in this month's World of Puzzles, but you still have
>to get your postcard picked out of a barrel to win $1000. (5 runners-up win a
>T-shirt).

I don't know what World of Puzzles is, but if you're trying to make money out
of it then it sounds about as promising as winning the lottery.

Les
("write if you get work .....")

Briar Rose

Jun 24, 2001, 7:01:34 PM6/24/01
Greg Goss <go...@mindlink.com> wrote:

>ar...@my-deja.com (artyw) wrote:
>>I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore.
>Network? I've only seen it in commentary.

Yeah, _Network_. We watched this as part of my
core class at UCSC. It's really weird to have seen
this movie, and then to watch TV nowadays. It's
also kinda cool to see how many shows make reference
to moments in _Network_. It's one of those things
where, if you aren't aware of it, you aren't really
missing anything, but if you are, your life is a
tiny bit richer.

>>You cant fight here, this is the War room.

_Dr. Strangelove_. One of a series of movies that
I had never seen, that Erich remembered that I wanted
to watch and rented one night.

>>Life is like a box of chocolates
>The author of the book hates that phrase

My brother is a longtime regular on rec.arts.movies.
When _Forrest Gump_ came out, there was a long thread
on "Gumpisms that should've been" or somesuch, that he
shared with me. My favorite was "Life is like a bowl
of rice in Indochina: sometimes you can't sit back
and enjoy it without getting your ass shot off."

:) Connie-Lynne

--
"Thank God for Frito-Lay. It did not market Chee-tos as 'dangerously
cheesy' until after, and ONLY after, it had developed a Chee-to whose

Just plain Nostradamus

Jun 24, 2001, 7:13:43 PM6/24/01
On 24 Jun 2001 21:12:18 GMT, aste...@aol.commiles (Asterbark) wrote:

>I do my crosswords in pen,

You're in good company -- Cecil's father did the same.

tooloud10

Jun 24, 2001, 7:18:58 PM6/24/01
"artyw" <ar...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> "Shawn Wilson" <shawn....@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> > "Joe Shimkus" <j...@shimkus.com> wrote in message
> >

> > My questions-

> > "I have a bad feeling about this."
> Jaws?

> > "Do ya feel lucky?"
> Dirty Harry
> >

> > Never go against a Sicilian when death's on the line."
> The Godfather?
>
> I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore.

Network.

> You want me to hold the chicken salad?
> I want you to hold it between your knees.

Hmmm. I don't remember. Sounds familiar, though.

> You cant fight here, this is the War room.

Dr. Strangelove

> I'll be Back

Terminator

> Life is like a box of chocolates

Forrest Gump

--
tooloud10
Remove nothing to reply

Paul Guertin

Jun 24, 2001, 6:30:28 PM6/24/01
"Kim" <ki...@NOSPAMfamily-net.org> wrote:

> One of my favorite episodes was the take-off with Sideshow Bob that was
> a complete re-telling of Cape Fear. Having never *seen* Cape Fear - my
> husband thought the episode sucked.

I didn't know about Cape Fear when I saw the episode, and I enjoyed it
all the same. Then later, I saw the movie and it br0ke my brAne.

Paul Guertin
p...@sff.net

Dutch Jingleheimerschmidt

Jun 24, 2001, 7:28:23 PM6/24/01
j...@dorothy.msas.net (Jay R. Ashworth)
Date: 6/24/2001 10:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time writes:

>*Right* in the middle of the appendectomy, Dutch Jingleheimerschmidt turned
> to Hawkeye and me and said:
>> Nah, that's just exactly backwards. I mean, you're probably not
>> going to see a newspaper story where a reference to Leibniz is used
>> to quickly convey a lot of information, but you will see one where
>> Deliverance is used in this way. I mean, if you had no idea what Star
>> Wars was, or what it was about, you'd probably have some trouble
>> understanding what is meant when SDI is referred to as "Star Wars,"
>> huh?
>
>Knowing anything about the movie isn't likely to help you even one
>little bit in figuring out anything about the misguided government
>boondoggle.

Well, that's obviously wrong, or they wouldn't call it "Star Wars." Hey, why do
you think they call it "Star Wars," what do you think they're trying to express
that way?

Why do the literate, you might want to ask someone, why do they make
allusions?

-"Ain't gonna hang no picture, ain't gonna hang no picture frame
ain't gonna hang no picture, ain't gonna hang no picture frame
Well, I might look like Robert Ford, but I feel just like Jesse James"

Dutch Jingleheimerschmidt

Jun 24, 2001, 7:32:05 PM6/24/01
lalb...@aol.com (Lalbert1)

That's no trick, that's a feat. The trick is to fill it out in front of
someone, quickly, writing gibberish, and then wad it up and toss it away when
you're done, so they can't check. Make sure you say something dissmissive about
the quality of questions.

Just plain Nostradamus

Jun 24, 2001, 7:31:37 PM6/24/01

>I only get six. Seven if you accept a really generic answer for
>"Merchant".

I doubt that I would have gotten more than six -- without Google. The
point was to get away from defining cultural literacy by US movie
trivia -- add a bit of Western Civ, some non-Western civ., some
African-American music, some science, that sort of thing.

And I took pity on her poor husband by adding "What is a clutch
basket?" I figured we should hand him one gimmee. Even Socrates
concedes that the artisans "did know many things of which I was
ignorant, and in this they certainly were wiser than I was."

Dutch Jingleheimerschmidt

Jun 24, 2001, 7:33:26 PM6/24/01
jus...@elvira.mntp1.il.home.com (Justin Hiltscher) writes:

>>"An intelligent carrot?"

It's clobberin' time.

Dutch "who goes there?" Courage

Just plain Nostradamus

Jun 24, 2001, 7:35:19 PM6/24/01
On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 14:08:52 -0700, Greg Goss <go...@mindlink.com>
wrote:

You're thinking of a "cloche" basket.

Boron Elgar

Jun 24, 2001, 8:23:16 PM6/24/01
On 24 Jun 2001 23:35:19 GMT, n...@nostradamus.net (Just plain
Nostradamus ) wrote:

You have misspelled the basket the laundry goes in.

boron

Beckett Graham

Jun 24, 2001, 9:06:00 PM6/24/01
wrote in:

>I just started 'Inferno' in this month's World of Puzzles, but you still have
>to get your postcard picked out of a barrel to win $1000. (5 runners-up win a
>T-shirt).

I just looooooove Games magazine, Aster. Though these days, I've eschewed
the crosswords in favor of "Paint By Numbers". I crave logic these days.
Surely someone who is more computer literate than I could write a program
to generate these? I'd buy it.
Beckett

Just plain Nostradamus

Jun 24, 2001, 9:08:20 PM6/24/01

You keep your huevos in the laundry basket?

Just plain Nostradamus

Jun 24, 2001, 9:09:12 PM6/24/01

> That's no trick, that's a feat. The trick is to fill it out in front of
>someone, quickly, writing gibberish, and then wad it up and toss it away when
>you're done, so they can't check. Make sure you say something dissmissive about
>the quality of questions.

Stephen Potter would be proud.

Just plain Nostradamus

Jun 24, 2001, 9:11:05 PM6/24/01
> Why do the literate, you might want to ask someone, why do they make
>allusions?

To show off their erudition?

Nostra "I may not be smart but I sure am literate" damus

Joe Shimkus

Jun 24, 2001, 9:18:53 PM6/24/01
In article <9h5rge$o...@gap.cco.caltech.edu>,
cly...@ugcs.caltech.edu (Briar Rose) wrote:

> Greg Goss <go...@mindlink.com> wrote:
> >ar...@my-deja.com (artyw) wrote:
> >>I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore.
> >Network? I've only seen it in commentary.
>
> Yeah, _Network_. We watched this as part of my
> core class at UCSC. It's really weird to have seen
> this movie, and then to watch TV nowadays. It's
> also kinda cool to see how many shows make reference
> to moments in _Network_. It's one of those things
> where, if you aren't aware of it, you aren't really
> missing anything, but if you are, your life is a
> tiny bit richer.

Like the plethora of sayings that came out of (or were at least
collected in) "Hamlet." Damn, now someone's gonna ask me to name some
other than the rotten in Denmark one. A little google search and...

Frailty, thy name is woman.

A foul and pestilent congregation of vapours. What a piece of work is
man!

See http://www.insults.net/html/shakespeare/hamlet.html

- Joe

--
Why is Bush's tax plan bad for the U.S.? Read "Fuzzy Math: The Essential Guide to the Bush Tax Plan."

--
PGP Key (DH/DSS): http://www.shimkus.com/public_key.asc
PGP Fingerprint: 89B4 52DA CF10 EE03 02AD 9134 21C6 2A68 CE52 EE1A

Lalbert1

Jun 24, 2001, 9:45:40 PM6/24/01
In article <3b368dc6....@news.concentric.net>, n...@nostradamus.net (Just
plain Nostradamus ) writes:

You keep your eggs in the hat basket?

Les

Asterbark

Jun 24, 2001, 9:55:30 PM6/24/01
Joe Shimkus j...@shimkus.com wrote:

>In article <9h5rge$o...@gap.cco.caltech.edu>,
> cly...@ugcs.caltech.edu (Briar Rose) wrote:
>
>> Greg Goss <go...@mindlink.com> wrote:
>> >Network? I've only seen it in commentary.
>>
>> Yeah, _Network_. We watched this as part of my
>> core class at UCSC. It's really weird to have seen
>> this movie, and then to watch TV nowadays. It's
>> also kinda cool to see how many shows make reference
>> to moments in _Network_. It's one of those things
>> where, if you aren't aware of it, you aren't really
>> missing anything, but if you are, your life is a
>> tiny bit richer.
>
>Like the plethora of sayings that came out of (or were at least
>collected in) "Hamlet." Damn, now someone's gonna ask me to name some
>other than the rotten in Denmark one. A little google search and...
>
>Frailty, thy name is woman.
>
>A foul and pestilent congregation of vapours. What a piece of work is
>man!
>
>See http://www.insults.net/html/shakespeare/hamlet.html

Psst!! The one where asks the skull!

Asterbark

Jun 24, 2001, 9:58:08 PM6/24/01
missb...@aol.com (Beckett Graham) wrote:

Did you do the book yet? Those are my favorite. I don't even do straight
crosswords anymore if there's a better twist to it. Rows Gardens are my next
favorite.

GrapeApe

Jun 24, 2001, 10:03:47 PM6/24/01

>>>You have misspelled the basket the laundry goes in.
>>>
>>You keep your huevos in the laundry basket?
>
>You keep your eggs in the hat basket?

You keep your Harley in the garage. Because apparently people buy them so they
can spend 90 of their time attempting repairs upon them.

Beckett Graham

Jun 24, 2001, 10:04:57 PM6/24/01
wrote in:

>Did you do the book yet? Those are my favorite.

You don't mean to tell me that there is an entire BOOK of
Paint-by-numbers? Or do you mean the World of Puzzles book with the white
cover? In that case, yes.
I do those puzzles in black pen with a white-out pen. How this makes more
sense than mere pencil I have yet to discover.
Glad to know this magazine has as least *two* readers! It went under a few
years ago, and I despaired until it reappeared.
Beckett

Asterbark

Jun 24, 2001, 10:09:38 PM6/24/01
n...@nostradamus.net (Just plain Nostradamus ) wrote:

>> Why do the literate, you might want to ask someone, why do they make
>>allusions?
>>
>To show off their erudition?

I always get a chuckle when someone claims to be erudite because I think they
mean hirsute, until I realize that I always mix those two up.

>Nostra "I may not be smart but I sure am literate" damus

Aster
"keener than the typical Ursus"

Rick Howard

Jun 24, 2001, 10:20:02 PM6/24/01

Shawn Wilson wrote

> "Justin Hiltscher" wrote
>

> > >"An intelligent carrot?"
> >
> > Ouch! Got me.
>

> The Thing From Another world. Scientist describes the thing, listener
> responds.

Keep watching the skies. Keep watching the skies.

GrapeApe

Jun 24, 2001, 10:27:19 PM6/24/01

>>See http://www.insults.net/html/shakespeare/hamlet.html
>>

>Psst!! The one where asks the skull!

Ask not for where the skull asks, the skull asks for there.

Alias pore Your ick, I new him wail whore H E O.

GrapeApe

Jun 24, 2001, 10:29:58 PM6/24/01

>Did you do the book yet? Those are my favorite. I don't even do straight
>crosswords anymore if there's a better twist to it. Rows Gardens are my
>next
>favorite.

Reminds me of a sight I saw at the newstand the other day. People who sit
around and read a magazine at the rack ("This ain't no library, sister") is
common enough, but this person was sitting there for over 30 minutes, actually
working crossword puzzles in the unbought articles.

Asterbark

Jun 24, 2001, 10:33:03 PM6/24/01
missb...@aol.com (Beckett Graham) wrote:

>> aste...@aol.commiles (Asterbark)
>wrote in:
>
>>Did you do the book yet? Those are my favorite.
>
> You don't mean to tell me that there is an entire BOOK of
>Paint-by-numbers? Or do you mean the World of Puzzles book with the white
>cover?

No, it has a p-b-n dinosaur coming out in 3-D from the puzzle page. He's red.
It's featured on the same page where they sell the Pencil Puzzles and other
Games books, but I got it at Barnes & Noble off the shelf, about $15.

In that case, yes.
> I do those puzzles in black pen with a white-out pen. How this makes
>more
>sense than mere pencil I have yet to discover.

I do them in blue roller ball pen, but I have to mark an x where it's
definitely not blacked in.

> Glad to know this magazine has as least *two* readers!

Me too!

It went under a
>few
>years ago, and I despaired until it reappeared.

I've seen them since at least '94 or '95. I can't remember when I got heavy
into puzzles, but they were hard to pin down which stores carried them
consistently. I think Les would enjoy these better than those ordinary drug
store time-passers I bet he thinks we're talking about.

Aster
"The World's 2nd Most Ornery Crossword"

Joe Shimkus

Jun 24, 2001, 10:32:35 PM6/24/01
In article <20010624222719...@ng-fc1.aol.com>,
grap...@aol.comjunk (GrapeApe) wrote:

See these. They are more of to what I was referring.

http://vc.wscc.cc.tn.us/ENGL2260/2001/unit4/Hamlet/quotable1.htm

http://vc.wscc.cc.tn.us/ENGL2260/2001/unit4/Hamlet/quotable2_3.htm

GrapeApe

Jun 24, 2001, 10:40:20 PM6/24/01

Yeah thats the one where he asks the skull.

Jose (JRDelirio) Diaz

Jun 24, 2001, 10:51:08 PM6/24/01

Jose (JRDelirio) Diaz wrote in message ...

>Dutch Jingleheimerschmidt wrote in message
><20010624043847...@ng-cf1.aol.com>...

>>n...@nostradamus.net (Nostradamus (no longer a Jingleheimerschmidt))
>writes:
>>

>> Lousy. Hardly any Americans really have to know Confucious's real
>name.
>>merchant of venice good, I have a dream good, rest...not so good.
>Cultural
>>literacy isn't just knowing a lot of obscure shit, you know.
>>

>Dutch is right -- people can be culturally literate and even display
>well-above-average book- AND street- smarts w/o accumulating the data
>required to run Cecil Adams' office for a month w. no outside
>assistance.

btw I got 7/10 offa the top of m'head.

Beckett Graham

Jun 24, 2001, 10:56:34 PM6/24/01
wrote in:

>No, it has a p-b-n dinosaur coming out in 3-D from the puzzle page. He's red.
>It's featured on the same page where they sell the Pencil Puzzles and other
>Games books, but I got it at Barnes & Noble off the shelf, about $15.

I have to travel again on Tuesday, so you know where I'm going to go
tomorrow! Thanks for the heads-up on this one.
Do you feel like a cheater when you have to peek at the "easy" set of
clues, btw? I mean, technically it's the same puzzle... <rationalization>
Beckett

Lalbert1

Jun 24, 2001, 11:23:42 PM6/24/01
In article <20010624210600...@ng-cu1.aol.com>, missb...@aol.com
(Beckett Graham) writes:

>I just looooooove Games magazine, Aster. Though these days, I've eschewed
>the crosswords in favor of "Paint By Numbers". I crave logic these days.
> Surely someone who is more computer literate than I could write a
>program
>to generate these? I'd buy it.

I had read that paint-by-numbers was popular again. Try something interesting
with it: instead of staying within the lines, fuzz the edges between colors and
see if you can create an impressionist painting.

Les

Jason Quick

Jun 24, 2001, 11:47:59 PM6/24/01
"Jay R. Ashworth" <j...@dorothy.msas.net> wrote:

> *Right* in the middle of the appendectomy, Kim turned
> to Hawkeye and me and said:
> > 1. Squeal like a piggy.
>
> Deliverance?

Yep.

> > 2. I'd like to introduce you to my little friend
>
> Nope; me neither.

Scarface.

> > 3. I'm going to get medieval on your ass.
>
> Weird Al's video for Amish Paradise?

Pulp Fiction.

Jason

GrapeApe

Jun 24, 2001, 11:53:45 PM6/24/01
>I had read that paint-by-numbers was popular again. Try something interesting
>with it: instead of staying within the lines, fuzz the edges between colors
>and
>see if you can create an impressionist painting.

Switch the numbered caps on the little tubs of paint that come with it.

Jason Quick

Jun 24, 2001, 11:50:49 PM6/24/01
"Shawn Wilson" <shawn....@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> > What we have here is a failure to communicate.
>

> Some prison movie. Brubaker?

Cool Hand Luke.

> > Oh, my God! It's full of stars.
>

> 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Bit of a misquote. There's no "Oh."

> My questions-
>

> "I have a bad feeling about this."

Star Wars, ESB, ROTJ.

> "Do ya feel lucky?"

Ummm..."Sudden Impact?"

> "An intelligent carrot?"

Hell if I know..."Harvey?"

> Never go against a Sicilian when death's on the line."

Princess Bride

> "Oh, that's alright, we're married."

...sounds familiar, can't place it.

> "Yippie ki yay, motherfucker."

Die Hard

> "I see dead people."

The Sixth Sense

> "What's your favorite scary movie."

Hhhmmmm..."Twilight Zone - The Movie?"

Jason

Jason Quick

Jun 24, 2001, 11:55:16 PM6/24/01
"artyw" <ar...@my-deja.com> wrote :

> I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore.

Network?

> You want me to hold the chicken salad?
> I want you to hold it between your knees.

Dunno.

> You cant fight here, this is the War room.

Dr Strangelove.

> I'll be Back

The Terminator

> Life is like a box of chocolates

Forrest Gump

Jason

Bob E.

Jun 25, 2001, 12:38:23 AM6/25/01

Just had a brainwave...paint-by number Magic Pictures(tm)! You have to
get it exactly right, or it doesn't pop out at you when you stare at it
for a while... --Bob

Bob Ellingson bo...@halted.com
Halted Specialties Co., Inc. http://www.halted.com
3500 Ryder St. (408) 732-1573
Santa Clara, Calif. 95051 USA (408) 732-6428 (FAX)

Dutch Jingleheimerschmidt

Jun 25, 2001, 12:45:45 AM6/25/01
"Jason Quick" jsq...@hotmail.com
Date: 6/24/2001 11:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time writes:

>"artyw" <ar...@my-deja.com> wrote :
>
>> I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore.
>
>Network?
>
>> You want me to hold the chicken salad?
>> I want you to hold it between your knees.

Five Easy Pieces. I first became aware of this Nicholson bit from one of the
funny boys (James Vallely, unless it was the other one), who did a "Charlie
Brown as Jack Nicholson" thing on USA Network's "Night Flight" program in the
early 80's.

"Yeah, Lucy, I want you to hold the football. I want you to hold it between
your knees."

He then did the whole diner scene with the rest of the cast of "Double
Trouble," a somewhat later vehicle for the Sagal sisters.

"[Bobby wants plain toast, which isn't on the menu.]
Bobby: I'd like an omelet, plain, and a chicken salad sandwich on wheat toast,
no mayonnaise, no butter, no lettuce. And a cup of coffee.
Waitress: A #2, chicken salad sand. Hold the butter, the lettuce, the
mayonnaise, and a cup of coffee. Anything else?
Bobby: Yeah, now all you have to do is hold the chicken, bring me the toast,
give me a check for the chicken salad sandwich, and you haven't broken any
rules.
Waitress: You want me to hold the chicken, huh?
Bobby: I want you to hold it between your knees."

-"Ain't gonna hang no picture, ain't gonna hang no picture frame
ain't gonna hang no picture, ain't gonna hang no picture frame
Well, I might look like Robert Ford, but I feel just like Jesse James"

N Jill Marsh

Jun 25, 2001, 12:44:39 AM6/25/01
On 25 Jun 2001 04:45:45 GMT, mutigho...@aol.comMMMS (Dutch
Jingleheimerschmidt)wrote:

> Five Easy Pieces.

This is one of those "great" movies that has never managed to hold my
interest long enough to get through to the end. How much tequila do I
have to drink, and how much over 100F does it have to get, and how
much piano do I have to play before it starts to appeal?

nj"we'll do anything you want, if you'll say you love me"m

"I only stopped to swallow snot and
any food that got in my way."

Dutch Jingleheimerschmidt

Jun 25, 2001, 12:59:22 AM6/25/01
N Jill Marsh njm...@bigfoot.com
Date: 6/25/2001 12:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time writes:

>On 25 Jun 2001 04:45:45 GMT, mutigho...@aol.comMMMS (Dutch
>Jingleheimerschmidt)wrote:
>
>> Five Easy Pieces.
>
>This is one of those "great" movies that has never managed to hold my
>interest long enough to get through to the end.

Oh, well, I didn't know. Well, it must suck if Nora Marsh doesn't like it.

> How much tequila do I
>have to drink, and how much over 100F does it have to get, and how
>much piano do I have to play before it starts to appeal?

Who am I, Mister Whoopie?

>nj"we'll do anything you want, if you'll say you love me"m

Dutch "boy, if I had a nickel for every time I've heard that" Courage

N Jill Marsh

Jun 25, 2001, 1:03:42 AM6/25/01
On 25 Jun 2001 04:59:22 GMT, mutigho...@aol.comMMMS (Dutch
Jingleheimerschmidt)wrote:

> N Jill Marsh njm...@bigfoot.com
>Date: 6/25/2001 12:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time writes:
>
>>On 25 Jun 2001 04:45:45 GMT, mutigho...@aol.comMMMS (Dutch
>>Jingleheimerschmidt)wrote:
>>
>>> Five Easy Pieces.
>>
>>This is one of those "great" movies that has never managed to hold my
>>interest long enough to get through to the end.
>
> Oh, well, I didn't know. Well, it must suck if Nora Marsh doesn't like it.

Not at all. I just wonder what I'm missing.

I find Karen Black kind of scary, in an unappealing sort of way.
Maybe that's it.

nj"she and Jack make a great couple, really"m

It is loading more messages.