EZ-Pass Battery Life?

Jeff Wisnia

Aug 13, 2014, 12:38:04 PM8/13/14

Luddite that I am, I resisted obtaining EZ-Pass toll transponders for
our family cars until last month when The Commonwealth of Cassachusetts
(Or Taxachusetts, take your pick) made the Tobin bridge "no-cash" and is
tearing down the cash toll booths as I write this.

If your vehicle does not have an EZ-Pass transponder when you pass over
the bridge a camera snaps a photo of your license plate and a bill is
mailed to the vehicle's registration addressee, for quite a bit more
money than the normal toll.

Things get even wackier if you are driving a rental car, but I won't get
into the details here 'cept for saying that the car rental companies
have to cover their costs and the renter pays quite a bit more per trip
than the old cash toll was if he travels over that bridge, with or
without a transponder rented from the auto rental company for an
outrageously high fee.

Now, on to what I was asking. The EZ-Pass transponders contain a 3.6
volt battery and I'm wondering how long that battery lasts before you
have to go to the bother of swapping out your transponder for one with a
fresh battery.

I suspect that little or no power is drained from the battery until you
pass near a toll reader, so maybe the number I'm looking for is
approximately how many passes through a reader can the transponder make
before the battery gives up.

While unsuccessfully searching for the answer I came across a page
describing battery free "sticker tags" used somewhere in the southern
USA which serve the same function as EZ-Passes.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

John Mc.

Aug 13, 2014, 12:51:15 PM8/13/14
I ran into this on a trip to Illinois a few weeks ago. I wanted to exit a
toll road but didn't see the sign warning that that particular exit had a
no cash requirement. Fortunately, they have an online 7 day option allowing
you to pay only the toll amount without penalty. GOOD IDEA.

John Mc. .

Tim Wright

Aug 13, 2014, 1:05:43 PM8/13/14
The North Texas Tollway Authority uses the sticker type tags. Prior to
the sticker types they issued a "toll tag" that was somewhat bulkier and
affixed with sticky backed velcro. AFAIK there is no battery in the
toll tags. We've had some of ours for over 10 years and they still work
fine.

According to this article from New Jersey, the battery lasts for 3-5 years.

http://www.southjersey.com/articles/?articleID=9081

--
"This .sig file intentionally left blank."

Tim W

Les Albert

Aug 13, 2014, 1:06:11 PM8/13/14
We have had a toll transponder (California FasTrak) since 2001.
I don't know how many trips across the bridges we have made, but the
device has never required a new battery. If the transponder doesn't
register when it pass a toll collection place, AND if there is an
account for the license plate that is photographed, then the
transpondee justs gets the account debited for the normal amount.

Even if your transponder battery eventually requires replacement, why
do you care? Are you concerned that you might get billed for more
than the usual amount if you are running with a dead transponder
battery?

Les

Tim Wright

Aug 13, 2014, 1:18:52 PM8/13/14
Just as a side note, here is the list of the 25 most flagrant toll
violators in the State of Texas.

<http://txdot.gov/inside-txdot/media-center/statewide-news/2013-archive/051-2013-violators.html>

http://tinyurl.com/ntghb28

David J. Martin

Aug 13, 2014, 1:46:29 PM8/13/14
Illinois also has (had?) a policy of not bothering you until you get to a
certain number of missed tolls. I was there a couple years ago and missed
the cash lane. I checked the website and found I was safe with just the
one.

A problem with the toll systems is that there are a dozen or more
independent systems. I'm not sure how truckers deal with it. I think the
Houston EZ Tag works throughout the state, but not in other states.

It looks like EZ Pass works in many places from Illinois and east. There is
a move toward a national system, but that's at least a couple years off.

David

Jeff Wisnia

Aug 13, 2014, 2:12:32 PM8/13/14

Tim Wright wrote:

> According to this article from New Jersey, the battery lasts for 3-5 years.
>
> http://www.southjersey.com/articles/?articleID=9081

Thanks Tim, trading in the transponder once in 3 to 5 years doesen't
sound like much of a problem to me.

Jeff Wisnia

Aug 13, 2014, 2:16:52 PM8/13/14

Les Albert wrote:

> Even if your transponder battery eventually requires replacement, why
> do you care? Are you concerned that you might get billed for more
> than the usual amount if you are running with a dead transponder
> battery?
>
> Les

No, it was just idle curiosity.

I think I can look for the green "Thank You" lamp each time I pass
through an EZ-Pass booth without much effort. If it doesn't show that,
I'll look into why it didn't.

Greg Goss

Aug 13, 2014, 2:39:18 PM8/13/14
Jeff Wisnia <Jwis...@DUMPTHIScomcast.net> wrote:

>Luddite that I am, I resisted obtaining EZ-Pass toll transponders for
>our family cars until last month when The Commonwealth of Cassachusetts
>(Or Taxachusetts, take your pick) made the Tobin bridge "no-cash" and is
>tearing down the cash toll booths as I write this.
>
>If your vehicle does not have an EZ-Pass transponder when you pass over
>the bridge a camera snaps a photo of your license plate and a bill is
>mailed to the vehicle's registration addressee, for quite a bit more
>money than the normal toll.

When we were living in Toronto, we very occasionally used the
privately-owned toll freeway across the city. There are no toll
booths; just lots of cameras (and lights at night and on dim days) at
the on and off ramps.

The surcharge for looking up your information was fairly reasonable,
and only applied once each month, regardless of how often you used the
service. For our usage, it was cheaper to pay the licence-lookup
surcharge than to rent a transponder.

When we left Toronto, there was an ongoing fight between the freeway
company and the provincial DMV which meant that transferring the
accumulated charges from the freeway into DMV "fines" was on hold.
Some people had started ignoring invoices from the freeway company and
had run up charges into the upper four digits. I assume that's been
fixed by now.

Lots of people owned licence plate covers that supposedly looked
normal to the police car behind you but totally obscured the image
from the high-mounted cameras over the on-ramps. Similar covers are
used for speed cameras where I live now. If they worked, I would
expect that it would be easy to enforce tickets for them. Since
police don't seem to care about them, I assume that they're bogus.

bill van

Aug 13, 2014, 3:34:39 PM8/13/14
In article <c51pmm...@mid.individual.net>,
Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:

> When we were living in Toronto, we very occasionally used the
> privately-owned toll freeway across the city. There are no toll
> booths; just lots of cameras (and lights at night and on dim days) at
> the on and off ramps.

It was built after I left Toronto, but I gather the 407 is privately
operated under a 99-year lease, while still owned by the provincial
government.
--
bill

N J Marsh

Aug 13, 2014, 3:59:04 PM8/13/14
Yes, and it's sweeeet. If I recall correctly, the looking up video charge
only applies annually, rather than monthly. He transponder is still cheaper
if you're on it with any regularity.

--
njm

Carl Fink

Aug 13, 2014, 4:06:49 PM8/13/14
On 2014-08-13, Jeff Wisnia <Jwis...@DUMPTHIScomcast.net> wrote:

> Now, on to what I was asking. The EZ-Pass transponders contain a 3.6
> volt battery and I'm wondering how long that battery lasts before you
> have to go to the bother of swapping out your transponder for one with a
> fresh battery.

I used to commute from Long Island to New Jersey every day for work,
involving a toll bridge and some freeway charges in Jersey. My EZ-Pass
didn't go dead for over five years.
--
Carl Fink nitpi...@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Hactar

Aug 13, 2014, 3:29:27 PM8/13/14
In article <GvadnbPCTO4NN3bO...@giganews.com>,
Jeff Wisnia <Jwis...@DUMPTHIScomcast.net> wrote:

> Tim Wright wrote:
>
> > According to this article from New Jersey, the battery lasts for 3-5 years.
> >
> > http://www.southjersey.com/articles/?articleID=9081
> >

> Thanks Tim, trading in the transponder once in 3 to 5 years doesen't
> sound like much of a problem to me.

Sounds like a simple battery swap would be much easier.

--
-eben QebWe...@vTerYizUonI.nOetP ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA: A big promotion is just around the corner for someone

Tim Wright

Aug 13, 2014, 5:29:59 PM8/13/14
On 8/13/2014 1:39 PM, Greg Goss wrote:
> Jeff Wisnia <Jwis...@DUMPTHIScomcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Luddite that I am, I resisted obtaining EZ-Pass toll transponders for
>> our family cars until last month when The Commonwealth of Cassachusetts
>> (Or Taxachusetts, take your pick) made the Tobin bridge "no-cash" and is
>> tearing down the cash toll booths as I write this.
>>
>> If your vehicle does not have an EZ-Pass transponder when you pass over
>> the bridge a camera snaps a photo of your license plate and a bill is
>> mailed to the vehicle's registration addressee, for quite a bit more
>> money than the normal toll.
>
> When we were living in Toronto, we very occasionally used the
> privately-owned toll freeway across the city. There are no toll
> booths; just lots of cameras (and lights at night and on dim days) at
> the on and off ramps.
>
> The surcharge for looking up your information was fairly reasonable,
> and only applied once each month, regardless of how often you used the
> service. For our usage, it was cheaper to pay the licence-lookup
> surcharge than to rent a transponder.
>
> When we left Toronto, there was an ongoing fight between the freeway
> company and the provincial DMV which meant that transferring the
> accumulated charges from the freeway into DMV "fines" was on hold.
> Some people had started ignoring invoices from the freeway company and
> had run up charges into the upper four digits. I assume that's been
> fixed by now.

See my post up thread concerning toll tag scofflaws. Some in Texas owe
6 figures.

> Lots of people owned licence plate covers that supposedly looked
> normal to the police car behind you but totally obscured the image
> from the high-mounted cameras over the on-ramps. Similar covers are
> used for speed cameras where I live now. If they worked, I would
> expect that it would be easy to enforce tickets for them. Since
> police don't seem to care about them, I assume that they're bogus.

Boron Elgar

Aug 13, 2014, 6:18:39 PM8/13/14
On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 12:05:43 -0500, Tim Wright <tlwri...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>According to this article from New Jersey, the battery lasts for 3-5 years.
>
>http://www.southjersey.com/articles/?articleID=9081

We've had anywhere from 3 to 5 of them in our/the kids' cars at any
one time. I think maybe only once or twice over the past 15 yrs have
we had one fail.

It is amazing how long they last, and we do use them a lot.

Boron

Bill Turlock

Aug 13, 2014, 7:36:23 PM8/13/14
On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 12:38:04 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
<Jwis...@DUMPTHIScomcast.net> wrote:
>Now, on to what I was asking. The EZ-Pass transponders contain a 3.6
>volt battery and I'm wondering how long that battery lasts before you
>have to go to the bother of swapping out your transponder for one with a
>fresh battery.

Mine, since at least '08. Not more than 3-4 tool crossings/mo. Until
lately only the 7 bridges had transponder service. Now a very few
"HOV" lanes have them.

But... almost all freeways have a "...minutes to" the next major
crossroads/city signboard. TTBOMK they're reading the toll-tags
(contrary to their protestations to the contrary, they can and are
being used to individually track your vehicle�that's how they get and
average the time/distance projections).

So, at least around here, they'd be subject to nearly constant
bombardment asking for data. Except that I keep mine in the foil bag
until I'm near the toll plaza.

Further but... how do you know about the 3.6 battery? Have you
dissected one? Cuz, I was under the impression that RFID chips were
powered by the RF energy from the antennae polling them.

Bill Turlock

Aug 13, 2014, 7:39:34 PM8/13/14
On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 17:46:29 +0000 (UTC), David J. Martin
<djmarti...@tamu.efu> wrote:

>It looks like EZ Pass works in many places from Illinois and east. There is
>a move toward a national system, but that's at least a couple years off.

Do. Not. Want.

danny burstein

Aug 13, 2014, 7:44:08 PM8/13/14
In <ursnu9dv9rtvpagof...@4ax.com> Bill Turlock <billt...@billturlock.com> writes:

>Further but... how do you know about the 3.6 battery? Have you
>dissected one? Cuz, I was under the impression that RFID chips were
>powered by the RF energy from the antennae polling them.

That was my impresion as well for the EZ Pass transponders
used in the US, but about five years ago I saw the schematic
somewhere... and they do, indeed, use battery power to
remain functional.

Also... about two years ago I received a "free" new unit
from EZ-Pass in the mail with a return envelope, and a
leaflet that talked about "it's been five years.. so
here's a new unit with a new battery" (more or less).

ah... from Virginia's EZ Pass FAq:

4. How does E-ZPass work?

When you open a prepaid account, you receive a small electronic
transponder that attaches to the windshield inside your car
or to your license plate. Within the transponder is a battery-powered
electronic chip encoded with a unique identification code.

When you travel through an E-ZPass toll facility, an antenna at the
toll plaza reads the information contained in your transponder.
The appropriate toll is electronically debited from your
prepaid E-ZPass account.

https://www.ezpassva.com/StaticPages/FAQ.aspx
dan...@panix.com

Xho Jingleheimerschmidt

Aug 13, 2014, 8:42:41 PM8/13/14
On 08/13/14 10:18, Tim Wright wrote:
> Just as a side note, here is the list of the 25 most flagrant toll
> violators in the State of Texas.
>
> <http://txdot.gov/inside-txdot/media-center/statewide-news/2013-archive/051-2013-violators.html>
>

> http://tinyurl.com/ntghb28

Is Maria related to Ted?

Xho

Xho Jingleheimerschmidt

Aug 13, 2014, 8:47:13 PM8/13/14
On 08/13/14 10:06, Les Albert wrote:

> We have had a toll transponder (California FasTrak) since 2001.
> I don't know how many trips across the bridges we have made, but the
> device has never required a new battery. If the transponder doesn't
> register when it pass a toll collection place, AND if there is an
> account for the license plate that is photographed, then the
> transpondee justs gets the account debited for the normal amount.

What happens if you remove the transponder and rely entirely on the
license plate photos? I think eventually they most get pissed at you,
because otherwise, why bother with issuing the transponders in the first
place?

Xho

Tim Wright

Aug 13, 2014, 8:49:47 PM8/13/14
That would be interesting, wouldn't it.
Message has been deleted

Greg Goss

Aug 13, 2014, 8:54:53 PM8/13/14
Bill Turlock <billt...@billturlock.com> wrote:

>But... almost all freeways have a "...minutes to" the next major
>crossroads/city signboard. TTBOMK they're reading the toll-tags
>(contrary to their protestations to the contrary, they can and are
>being used to individually track your vehicle�that's how they get and
>average the time/distance projections).

The information can also be purchased from the telcos. The cellular
network has to know where each phone is, and that's valuable
information to sell.

We were using my wife's GPS once (Garmin? We paid about $170 compared
to the $49 of the previous one because she wanted to preprogram in a
ten-leg schoolbus trip.) We set the destination into the GPS but
ignored it. We needed the GPS for the final six blocks, not for the
crosstown trip to get to the neighborhood.

Abruptly it told us to take the freeway exit a quarter mile ahead of
us. "Why would we leave the freeway HERE?!?" "Let's see where it
wants to take us. We have time." As we got to the cross street along
the exit ramp, we could see further up the freeway, to see just the
very beginnings of a traffic snarl behind a presumed accident.

I'm not sure where Garmin buys the traffic information from and how
its distributed to the units (GPS doesn't have the bandwidth for
traffic data. Cellular perhaps? TV sidebands?) but it saved us a
half hour taking Blackfoot instead of Deerfoot to Glenmore.

Anyhow, no toll tags in this city, so it's coming from something else,
presumably cell phones.

Hactar

Aug 13, 2014, 8:25:29 PM8/13/14
In article <ursnu9dv9rtvpagof...@4ax.com>,
Bill Turlock <billt...@billturlock.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 12:38:04 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
> <Jwis...@DUMPTHIScomcast.net> wrote:
> >Now, on to what I was asking. The EZ-Pass transponders contain a 3.6
> >volt battery and I'm wondering how long that battery lasts before you
> >have to go to the bother of swapping out your transponder for one with a
> >fresh battery.
>
> Mine, since at least '08. Not more than 3-4 tool crossings/mo. Until
> lately only the 7 bridges had transponder service. Now a very few
> "HOV" lanes have them.
>
> But... almost all freeways have a "...minutes to" the next major
> crossroads/city signboard. TTBOMK they're reading the toll-tags
> (contrary to their protestations to the contrary, they can and are
> being used to individually track your vehicle�that's how they get and
> average the time/distance projections).
>
> So, at least around here, they'd be subject to nearly constant
> bombardment asking for data. Except that I keep mine in the foil bag
> until I'm near the toll plaza.

Excellent plan. Harder to do with the stick-on bar codes though.

> Further but... how do you know about the 3.6 battery? Have you
> dissected one? Cuz, I was under the impression that RFID chips were
> powered by the RF energy from the antennae polling them.

That is how RFID works. Are they RFID though?

Greg Goss

Aug 13, 2014, 9:19:40 PM8/13/14
ebenZ...@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:

>Sounds like a simple battery swap would be much easier.

Ask Apple owners. Sometimes it's easier to make the whole thing
disposable than to create a hole in the case suitable for getting at
the battery, and a contact rather than a solder joint makes it less
reliable at the battery.

Les Albert

Aug 13, 2014, 9:23:02 PM8/13/14
Yes, I think they will get pissed off at the transponder owners who
rely entirely on the license plate photos. As a guess, they will
cancel the account and then the offender becomes a scoff-law with all
the rights, privileges, and immunities thereunto appertaining.

Les

John Mc.

Aug 13, 2014, 10:11:31 PM8/13/14
Leroy. If you need funds to repair the roads raise the gas tax and come
up with some equitable way to tax electric vehicles. Otherwise I don't
need Big Brother keeping that close of tabs on me.

John Mc.

Tim Wright

Aug 13, 2014, 10:32:29 PM8/13/14
Well, in this day and age if you don't want to be continuously tracked
you better just lock your doors, draw your curtains, and stay the hell
home. Between cell phones and video cameras on every corner if someone
wants to map your movements it is not going to be difficult. If you
have an Android phone, Google can track you and show you a map of where
you've been.

Bill Turlock

Aug 14, 2014, 2:07:10 AM8/14/14
On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 21:32:29 -0500, Tim Wright <tlwri...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>Well, in this day and age if you don't want to be continuously tracked
>you better just lock your doors, draw your curtains, and stay the hell
>home

But... but... then they'd _know_ where you are!

Tim Wright

Aug 14, 2014, 8:40:08 AM8/14/14
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

S. Checker

Aug 14, 2014, 8:51:31 AM8/14/14
Tim Wright <tlwri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The North Texas Tollway Authority uses the sticker type tags. Prior to
> the sticker types they issued a "toll tag" that was somewhat bulkier and
> affixed with sticky backed velcro. AFAIK there is no battery in the
> toll tags. We've had some of ours for over 10 years and they still work
> fine.
>
> According to this article from New Jersey, the battery lasts for 3-5 years.

PA uses a pager-sized transponder. We've had one for our minivan for
about 5 years; about two months ago we got a package from the DoT with
a new one. They said in the letter that came with that they had
monitored us going through the EZPass lane without the transponder
going off, so they figured it was dead.
--
SHE TOOK ON A WHOLE GANG! A howling hellcat humping a hot steel hog on a
roaring rampage of revenge!

Jeff Wisnia

Aug 14, 2014, 11:58:50 AM8/14/14

Bill Turlock wrote:

> Further but... how do you know about the 3.6 battery? Have you
> dissected one? Cuz, I was under the impression that RFID chips were
> powered by the RF energy from the antennae polling them.

Because, while searching EZ-Pass myself before my OP here here I came
across articles about a hack which adds a sound maker to an EZ-Pass to
tell you it was being read. The hacked EZ-Pass looks just like the ones
I recently installed in our cars.

The articles show and mention the 3.6 volt long life battery, so that's
how I knew.

That's because when news came out that some cities were installing
EZ-Pass readers where there were NO tolls involved some guy calling
himself Puking Monkey got angry that his privacy was being invaded and
his movements could be tracked that way. See:

http://tinyurl.com/m9zt4fn

His hack monitors the current being drawn from the battery, which is
nominally near zero (only 8 microamps) when it isn't being read and
jumps to 0.3 milliamps when it's being read. When the current jumps up
the noisemaker sounds off.

It's described here:

http://tinyurl.com/k9tctc9

and again here, from Popular Science magazine:

http://tinyurl.com/k7nch9z

Nuff said?

Charles Bishop

Aug 14, 2014, 12:43:44 PM8/14/14
In article <haqdnewpOLMmQXHO...@giganews.com>,
Jeff Wisnia <Jwis...@DUMPTHIScomcast.net> wrote:

[tracking-EZ Pass and others]

> That's because when news came out that some cities were installing
> EZ-Pass readers where there were NO tolls involved some guy calling
> himself Puking Monkey got angry that his privacy was being invaded and
> his movements could be tracked that way. See:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/m9zt4fn

When I went to the site and read the article, there was an ad for a
gizmo to help you keep track of your things-keys, frex:

"Stick a Tile to anything and track it with your iOS device"
"Pre-order for $19.95"

Charles

Alfalfa Bill

Aug 14, 2014, 2:15:59 PM8/14/14
On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 12:18:52 PM UTC-5, Tim Wright wrote:
> Just as a side note, here is the list of the 25 most flagrant toll
> violators in the State of Texas.
>
> <http://txdot.gov/inside-txdot/media-center/statewide-news/2013-archive/051-2013-violators.html>
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ntghb28

What??????

How can one couple rack up 14,533 separate Unpaid Toll Transactions totaling $236,026.32 in tolls and fees?

Tim Wright

Aug 14, 2014, 2:21:04 PM8/14/14
I have no idea. The toll authority is owed something like $36 million
in unpaid tolls, penalties, and fines. They recently acquired the
capability of putting a hold on vehicle registrations for unpaid toll
charges.

Hactar

Aug 14, 2014, 3:21:50 PM8/14/14
In article <35ad6d4a-70f2-4f90...@googlegroups.com>,
A few years ago, I had the tag "NO PLATE". Across the state, whenever a
car with no tag got a parking ticket, the officer wrote down "NO PLATE"
for its tag number. Before I wised up and got a different tag, I got a
few massive bills for a few kilobucks each of parking tickets in places
I've never been, in cars I'd never driven. Maybe this couple is in the
same situation, s/parking ticket/toll/ .

Greg Goss

Aug 14, 2014, 5:00:00 PM8/14/14
Charles Bishop <ctbi...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>When I went to the site and read the article, there was an ad for a
>gizmo to help you keep track of your things-keys, frex:
>
> "Stick a Tile to anything and track it with your iOS device"
> "Pre-order for $19.95"

There are two of these being advertised all over my Facebook. "Tile",
the original one, is Apple-only, apparently because it uses a more
recent generation of bluetooth than Androids do. The other brand,
TrackR works with both OSs, but I haven't looked into it.

As I understand it, the app in your phone keeps track of where the
phone was the last time it was in range of the gizmo by bluetooth. If
you mark it "lost", then EVERY phone running their app will watch for
it coming into bluetooth range.

There's gotta be TSA implications of every bluetooth-enabled phone
keeping track of where your keys are.

Bill Turlock

Aug 14, 2014, 5:14:29 PM8/14/14
On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 11:58:50 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
<Jwis...@DUMPTHIScomcast.net> wrote:

>Because, while searching EZ-Pass myself before my OP here here I came
>across articles about a hack which adds a sound maker to an EZ-Pass to
>tell you it was being read. The hacked EZ-Pass looks just like the ones
>I recently installed in our cars.
>
>The articles show and mention the 3.6 volt long life battery, so that's
>how I knew.

Ahhh... O.K. Mine beeps at the toll plaza. Now I C

Les Albert

Aug 14, 2014, 6:32:26 PM8/14/14
As a conspiracist you should have figured it out by now: the TSA
knows where your keys are, they know when you are not at home,
so they are going to come to your house and drink all your beer. They
may also use your washing machine to do a load of laundry.

Les

Derek

Aug 14, 2014, 7:13:36 PM8/14/14
On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 15:32:26 -0700, Les Albert <lalb...@aol.com>
wrote:

>As a conspiracist you should have figured it out by now: the TSA
>knows where your keys are, they know when you are not at home,
>so they are going to come to your house and drink all your beer. They
>may also use your washing machine to do a load of laundry.

Hmm ... and there was me thinking it was just my ex that did that, up
to the point where I discovered that she'd retained a set of keys.

--
Derek

Greg Goss

Aug 14, 2014, 7:16:36 PM8/14/14
Les Albert <lalb...@aol.com> wrote:

>>There's gotta be TSA implications of every bluetooth-enabled phone
>>keeping track of where your keys are.
>

>As a conspiracist you should have figured it out by now: the TSA
>knows where your keys are, they know when you are not at home,
>so they are going to come to your house and drink all your beer. They
>may also use your washing machine to do a load of laundry.

I'm glad that SOMEBODY does laundry around here.

Les Albert

Aug 14, 2014, 7:38:20 PM8/14/14
On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 00:13:36 +0100, Derek <dere...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
She must be a woman who has no use for technology; no virtual stuff
for her, only the real McCoy.

Les

Les Albert

Aug 14, 2014, 7:40:51 PM8/14/14
On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 17:16:36 -0600, Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:
>Les Albert <lalb...@aol.com> wrote:

>>>There's gotta be TSA implications of every bluetooth-enabled phone
>>>keeping track of where your keys are.

>>As a conspiracist you should have figured it out by now: the TSA
>>knows where your keys are, they know when you are not at home,
>>so they are going to come to your house and drink all your beer. They
>>may also use your washing machine to do a load of laundry.

>I'm glad that SOMEBODY does laundry around here.

Uh, oh! Another layer of the onion is peeled back.

Les

Derek

Aug 15, 2014, 3:04:14 AM8/15/14
On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 16:38:20 -0700, Les Albert <lalb...@aol.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 00:13:36 +0100, Derek <dere...@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>>On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 15:32:26 -0700, Les Albert <lalb...@aol.com>
>>wrote:
>
>>>As a conspiracist you should have figured it out by now: the TSA
>>>knows where your keys are, they know when you are not at home,
>>>so they are going to come to your house and drink all your beer. They
>>>may also use your washing machine to do a load of laundry.
>
>>Hmm ... and there was me thinking it was just my ex that did that, up
>>to the point where I discovered that she'd retained a set of keys.
>
>She must be a woman who has no use for technology; no virtual stuff
>for her, only the real McCoy.

You can safely say that she's a big fan of Ian Fleming.

--
Derek

Snidely

Aug 15, 2014, 5:08:04 AM8/15/14
Tim Wright presented the following explanation :
The biggest databases of car license photos belong to the companies
that help repo men get their hitch. They know where you like to hang
out, evn if you don't have a smart phone.

See also Pop Sci July 2014 (Vol 285 No 1), pp 050-055 and pg 80.

/dps

--
The presence of this syntax results from the fact that SQLite is really
a Tcl extension that has escaped into the wild.

John Mc.

Aug 15, 2014, 7:25:00 AM8/15/14
Snidely <snide...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tim Wright presented the following explanation :

> The biggest databases of car license photos belong to the companies that
> help repo men get their hitch. They know where you like to hang out, evn
> if you don't have a smart phone.
>
> See also Pop Sci July 2014 (Vol 285 No 1), pp 050-055 and pg 80.
>
> /dps

When plate scanners first came into vogue around here the local PD started
using them to go through store parking lots at Christmas checking people's
plates for expiration/ outstanding warrants. I noticed an increase in
people backing in to spaces after that. The local police are not noted for
their willingness to leave the toasty warm vehicles in the winter.

John Mc.

Charles Bishop

Aug 15, 2014, 11:11:08 AM8/15/14
In article <erevbb-...@pc.home>, ebenZ...@verizon.net (Hactar)
wrote:

> In article <35ad6d4a-70f2-4f90...@googlegroups.com>,
> Alfalfa Bill <tedth...@aol.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 12:18:52 PM UTC-5, Tim Wright wrote:
> > > Just as a side note, here is the list of the 25 most flagrant toll
> > > violators in the State of Texas.
> > >

> > <http://txdot.gov/inside-txdot/media-center/statewide-news/2013-archive/051-
> > 2013-violators.html>
> > >
> > > http://tinyurl.com/ntghb28
> >
> > What??????
> >
> > How can one couple rack up 14,533 separate Unpaid Toll Transactions
> > totaling $236,026.32 in tolls and fees?
>
> A few years ago, I had the tag "NO PLATE". Across the state, whenever a
> car with no tag got a parking ticket, the officer wrote down "NO PLATE"
> for its tag number. Before I wised up and got a different tag, I got a
> few massive bills for a few kilobucks each of parking tickets in places
> I've never been, in cars I'd never driven. Maybe this couple is in the
> same situation, s/parking ticket/toll/ .

Had you chosen the tag with the intention of foiling LEOs? Did you not
think through the outcome of you having NO PLATE? Was there some other
reason for your choice?

--
charles

David J. Martin

Aug 15, 2014, 11:21:42 AM8/15/14
Is he passing on a joke/urban legend as happening to him?

David

Greg Goss

Aug 15, 2014, 11:21:56 AM8/15/14
Snidely <snide...@gmail.com> wrote:

>The biggest databases of car license photos belong to the companies
>that help repo men get their hitch. They know where you like to hang
>out, evn if you don't have a smart phone.

During the custody battles, my godson's father used a process server
to hand documents to the mother. He never did find out what her
address was at that time, and has no idea how they found her.

How WOULD they find an unemployed single mother living in some
friend's basement in a different city from where she was last known to
be living; a different city than her parents or grandparents.
Hopefully welfare records are securely private.

Considering the obscurity of the out-of-town address, the price was
surprisingly affordable -- something like C$75 per delivery.

Greg Goss

Aug 15, 2014, 11:25:29 AM8/15/14
John Mc. <Jo...@tdcogre.com> wrote:

>When plate scanners first came into vogue around here the local PD started
>using them to go through store parking lots at Christmas checking people's
>plates for expiration/ outstanding warrants. I noticed an increase in
>people backing in to spaces after that. The local police are not noted for
>their willingness to leave the toasty warm vehicles in the winter.

My wife's late second husband was an ex-(and future-) taxi driver. He
tried to insist that she should always back into parking spaces
because of the massive improvement in maneuverability it provides. I
took his word for it, but never took him up on the idea. Since I've
always driven microcars (compared to his Caprice), the extra
maneuverability was never necessary.

I wonder if backing into a space in that context becomes "probable
cause" enough to get the cop out of the toasty warm. Like politicians
can tell you, the cover-up can often draw more attention than being
guilty in the first place.

Hactar

Aug 15, 2014, 12:50:55 PM8/15/14

Hactar

Aug 15, 2014, 12:48:28 PM8/15/14
In article <ctbishop-0C68B3...@news.individual.net>,
No, because I thought it was funny.

> Did you not think through the outcome of you having NO PLATE?

Jeez, not that far. A sane computer system would be structured like

bool plate_exists;
string plate_value; /* ignored if plate_exists==FALSE */

But I guess assuming sanity in a program run by state.fl.us is too much.

Hactar

Aug 15, 2014, 12:52:51 PM8/15/14

Hactar

Aug 15, 2014, 1:00:01 PM8/15/14
In article <c56n3d...@mid.individual.net>,
At my former uni, you'll get fined for it in a car. The rent-a-cops are
lazy enough that they don't want to have to check _both_ ends of the car
for a parking permit. Me, I drove a motorbike for 15 years or so, and
for a few years I avoided buying a parking permit by backing into the
bike area (legal for bikes) so the approved sticker area was against a
hedge.

S. Checker

Aug 15, 2014, 2:13:36 PM8/15/14
Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:
> John Mc. <Jo...@tdcogre.com> wrote:
>
>>When plate scanners first came into vogue around here the local PD started
>>using them to go through store parking lots at Christmas checking people's
>>plates for expiration/ outstanding warrants. I noticed an increase in
>>people backing in to spaces after that. The local police are not noted for
>>their willingness to leave the toasty warm vehicles in the winter.
>
> My wife's late second husband was an ex-(and future-) taxi driver. He
> tried to insist that she should always back into parking spaces
> because of the massive improvement in maneuverability it provides. I
> took his word for it, but never took him up on the idea. Since I've
> always driven microcars (compared to his Caprice), the extra
> maneuverability was never necessary.

I back in because getting back out is so much easier. I can't remember
how long I've been doing it. I'll do it less often in our minivan,
though, then I have in my succession of smaller cars.

> I wonder if backing into a space in that context becomes "probable
> cause" enough to get the cop out of the toasty warm. Like politicians
> can tell you, the cover-up can often draw more attention than being
> guilty in the first place.

I'd bet not. If you're getting a hit on one in a hundred cars are you
going to bother getting out for a 1% chance? Even if people backing in
are 5 times less honest than others, will you get out twenty times for
one score?
--
People don't listen to enough Motorhead.
-Katy Q.

Jeff Wisnia

Aug 15, 2014, 3:15:19 PM8/15/14
If you've got time to waste have a look at Maine's "Banned Vanity Plate"
website:

http://www.governmentattic.org/7docs/ME-BannedPlates_2012.pdf

Jeff Wisnia

Aug 15, 2014, 4:49:28 PM8/15/14
Wouldn't work for us here in Taxachusetts, where all our cars have front
and rear plates.

hymie!

Aug 15, 2014, 4:47:39 PM8/15/14
Jeff Wisnia <Jwis...@DUMPTHIScomcast.net>, who said:

>If you've got time to waste have a look at Maine's "Banned Vanity Plate"
>website:
>
>http://www.governmentattic.org/7docs/ME-BannedPlates_2012.pdf

35 pages of three columns of banned plates? I'm not the only one with
time to waste.

I'm not sure why a list of "Maine's banned vanity plates" includes what
look like states attached to them, but I admit I haven't read the entire
78-page document yet.

My vanity plate isn't on the list, but my (nick)name is. :(

--hymie! http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie hy...@lactose.homelinux.net

N J Marsh

Aug 15, 2014, 5:12:06 PM8/15/14
Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:
> Snidely <snide...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The biggest databases of car license photos belong to the companies
>> that help repo men get their hitch. They know where you like to hang
>> out, evn if you don't have a smart phone.
>
> During the custody battles, my godson's father used a process server
> to hand documents to the mother. He never did find out what her
> address was at that time, and has no idea how they found her.
>
> How WOULD they find an unemployed single mother living in some
> friend's basement in a different city from where she was last known to
> be living; a different city than her parents or grandparents.
> Hopefully welfare records are securely private.

Quite often, as long as the person is assured that their current residence
is not going to be revealed to their ex- they are quite willing to reveal
and address. In all likelihood, the PS asked the mother, who asked the
daughter, who gave them the location. Or another slightly longer chain.

I've had papers served twice under similar circumstances. Once I was the
receiver, once the giver. It really isn't a problem finding most people if
the mutual acquaintances talk to each other.

> Considering the obscurity of the out-of-town address, the price was
> surprisingly affordable -- something like C$75 per delivery.

--
njm

Howard Hol

Aug 15, 2014, 5:15:49 PM8/15/14
Jeff Wisnia <Jwis...@DUMPTHIScomcast.net> wrote

> If you've got time to waste have a look at Maine's "Banned Vanity
> Plate" website:
>
> http://www.governmentattic.org/7docs/ME-BannedPlates_2012.pdf

Virginia has (had?) license plates with the motto "Kids First" at the
bottom.

One guy ordered up a vanity plate that read:

Virginia
EATTHE
Kids First

That one was later revoked by the state.

Someone else had one that read:

Virginia
SLAPS
Kids First

http://jalopnik.com/5727846/i-fought-the-dmv-to-keep-the-worlds-
greatest-license-plate

http://jalopnik.com/5732762/virginia-dmv-condones-beating-not-eating-
children

http://tinyurl.com/VASlaps

http://tinyurl.com/VAEats

Alfalfa Bill

Aug 15, 2014, 5:59:51 PM8/15/14
In Oklahoma in 2010 an openly gay man was denied a personalized license plate reading I'M GAY on the ground that it violated a secret government rule* against personalized plates that "may be offensive to the general public."
Plates that trumpeted heterosexual sex appeal were allowed like STR8SXI (straight sexy) and someone even got a plate for VIBR8R. But being openly gay in Oklahoma was deemed offensive to the general public.

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/oklahoman-sues-seeking-im-gay-car-tag

In New Hampshire the government refused to issue personalized license plates containing messages critical of Child Protective Services. However, a person was denied the plate COPSLIE but then was allowed the plate GR8GOVT and took his case all the way to the state supreme court and won on the basis of impermissible view point discrimination.

http://nhclu.org/litigation/

* I call it a secret government rule because it did not come from a statute or regulation but was created by the people who process applications for personalized license plates and was not disclosed to the public.

Hactar

Aug 15, 2014, 5:11:07 PM8/15/14
In article <53ee71eb$0$28214$882e...@usenet-news.net>,
hymie! <hy...@lactose.homelinux.net> wrote:
> In our last episode, the evil Dr. Lacto had captured our hero,
> Jeff Wisnia <Jwis...@DUMPTHIScomcast.net>, who said:
> >

> >If you've got time to waste have a look at Maine's "Banned Vanity Plate"
> >website:
> >
> >http://www.governmentattic.org/7docs/ME-BannedPlates_2012.pdf
>
> 35 pages of three columns of banned plates? I'm not the only one with
> time to waste.
>
> I'm not sure why a list of "Maine's banned vanity plates" includes what
> look like states attached to them, but I admit I haven't read the entire
> 78-page document yet.
>
> My vanity plate isn't on the list, but my (nick)name is. :(

There are some I don't see what the ruckus was about. The relevant state
DOTs must have some very dirty minds.

bill van

Aug 15, 2014, 6:45:59 PM8/15/14
In article <i6Sdne0KSZDE73PO...@giganews.com>,
Jeff Wisnia <Jwis...@DUMPTHIScomcast.net> wrote:

> John Mc. wrote:
> > Snidely <snide...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Tim Wright presented the following explanation :
> >
> >> The biggest databases of car license photos belong to the companies that
> >> help repo men get their hitch. They know where you like to hang out, evn
> >> if you don't have a smart phone.
> >>
> >> See also Pop Sci July 2014 (Vol 285 No 1), pp 050-055 and pg 80.
> >
> > When plate scanners first came into vogue around here the local PD started
> > using them to go through store parking lots at Christmas checking people's
> > plates for expiration/ outstanding warrants. I noticed an increase in
> > people backing in to spaces after that. The local police are not noted for
> > their willingness to leave the toasty warm vehicles in the winter.
>
> Wouldn't work for us here in Taxachusetts, where all our cars have front
> and rear plates.

Do you have partial plates for seniors?
--
bill

Greg Goss

Aug 15, 2014, 7:50:21 PM8/15/14
ebenZ...@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:

>> My vanity plate isn't on the list, but my (nick)name is. :(
>
>There are some I don't see what the ruckus was about. The relevant state
>DOTs must have some very dirty minds.

I once saw a sports car labeled "HORNEY" outside the local pick-up
disco. It was only a few years later that I discovered that the plate
belonged to Richard Horney, one of our local's negotiations
specialists.

Bill Turlock

Aug 15, 2014, 8:04:53 PM8/15/14
On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 14:59:51 -0700 (PDT), Alfalfa Bill
<tedth...@aol.com> wrote:

>In Oklahoma in 2010 an openly gay man was denied a personalized license plate reading I'M GAY on the ground that it violated a secret government rule* against personalized plates that "may be offensive to the general public."
>Plates that trumpeted heterosexual sex appeal were allowed like STR8SXI (straight sexy) and someone even got a plate for VIBR8R. But being openly gay in Oklahoma was deemed offensive to the general public.

ISTR that I saw this in the Castro: IM1RU12

Xho Jingleheimerschmidt

Aug 15, 2014, 8:34:11 PM8/15/14
I'm skeptical. If the increase in people backing in was noticeable,
that means the mere fact that they were backed in would be a pretty good
indicator they were up to something, unless there was some wide-spread
movement of law abiding bill payers to help out their scofflaw kith and
kin by adopting this practice in solidarity.

If the police are so reluctant to get out of the car, what would they do
if license plate reader got a hit? I'm pretty sure that would involve
getting out of the car.

Xho

Xho Jingleheimerschmidt

Aug 15, 2014, 8:39:33 PM8/15/14
On 08/15/14 08:21, Greg Goss wrote:
> Snidely <snide...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The biggest databases of car license photos belong to the companies
>> that help repo men get their hitch. They know where you like to hang
>> out, evn if you don't have a smart phone.
>
> During the custody battles, my godson's father used a process server
> to hand documents to the mother. He never did find out what her
> address was at that time, and has no idea how they found her.
>
> How WOULD they find an unemployed single mother living in some
> friend's basement in a different city from where she was last known to
> be living; a different city than her parents or grandparents.

These days, BookFace. Or, you call her parents and grangparents and ask
where she is, without saying that you are a skip tracer. Say you are,
say, an old class mate or someone probating a will.

> Hopefully welfare records are securely private.

Hopefully? Why should a government agency collaborate in the perversion
of justice?

Xho

Xho Jingleheimerschmidt

Aug 15, 2014, 8:46:51 PM8/15/14
On 08/15/14 09:48, Hactar wrote:
> In article <ctbishop-0C68B3...@news.individual.net>,
> Charles Bishop <ctbi...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> In article <erevbb-...@pc.home>, ebenZ...@verizon.net (Hactar)
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> A few years ago, I had the tag "NO PLATE". Across the state, whenever a
>>> car with no tag got a parking ticket, the officer wrote down "NO PLATE"
>>> for its tag number. Before I wised up and got a different tag, I got a
>>> few massive bills for a few kilobucks each of parking tickets in places
>>> I've never been, in cars I'd never driven. Maybe this couple is in the
>>> same situation, s/parking ticket/toll/ .
>>
>> Had you chosen the tag with the intention of foiling LEOs?
>
> No, because I thought it was funny.
>
>> Did you not think through the outcome of you having NO PLATE?
>
> Jeez, not that far. A sane computer system would be structured like
>
> bool plate_exists;
> string plate_value; /* ignored if plate_exists==FALSE */
>
> But I guess assuming sanity in a program run by state.fl.us is too much.

You do realize that computer programs do not tap directly into the mind
of God, right? A human being needs to enter data into this program
(probably based on chicken scratch entered by another human being, with
maybe yet another human being in between), and they might fail to grasp
the distinction the computer so elegantly is capable of.

And why is plate_exists a Boolean? What if the plate exists but is
illegible? What if we don't know if the plate exists because we
couldn't be arsed to check? What if half of the plate exists but the
other half is embedded into some guys abdomen and is unavailable for
inspection?

Xho
--
After how many centuries can we stop capitalizing boolean?

Xho Jingleheimerschmidt

Aug 15, 2014, 8:58:37 PM8/15/14
On 08/15/14 08:25, Greg Goss wrote:
> John Mc. <Jo...@tdcogre.com> wrote:
>
>> When plate scanners first came into vogue around here the local PD started
>> using them to go through store parking lots at Christmas checking people's
>> plates for expiration/ outstanding warrants. I noticed an increase in
>> people backing in to spaces after that. The local police are not noted for
>> their willingness to leave the toasty warm vehicles in the winter.
>
> My wife's late second husband was an ex-(and future-) taxi driver. He
> tried to insist that she should always back into parking spaces
> because of the massive improvement in maneuverability it provides.

Is the alleged improvement on the way in, or on the way out?

When I was a yute, it was lore that the people who backed in were
firefighters.

Xho

Greg Goss

Aug 15, 2014, 9:12:18 PM8/15/14
Xho Jingleheimerschmidt <xho...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 08/15/14 08:25, Greg Goss wrote:
>> John Mc. <Jo...@tdcogre.com> wrote:
>>
>>> When plate scanners first came into vogue around here the local PD started
>>> using them to go through store parking lots at Christmas checking people's
>>> plates for expiration/ outstanding warrants. I noticed an increase in
>>> people backing in to spaces after that. The local police are not noted for
>>> their willingness to leave the toasty warm vehicles in the winter.
>>
>> My wife's late second husband was an ex-(and future-) taxi driver. He
>> tried to insist that she should always back into parking spaces
>> because of the massive improvement in maneuverability it provides.
>
>Is the alleged improvement on the way in, or on the way out?

Both. The steering is done OUTSIDE the space, and the unsteered
wheels always move less, and are in the place with less space to move.

>When I was a yute, it was lore that the people who backed in were
>firefighters.

Which makes it sound like an improvement on the way out!

Xho Jingleheimerschmidt

Aug 15, 2014, 10:03:46 PM8/15/14
On 08/15/14 13:49, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

> John Mc. wrote:
>> Snidely <snide...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Tim Wright presented the following explanation :
>>
>>> The biggest databases of car license photos belong to the companies that
>>> help repo men get their hitch. They know where you like to hang out,
>>> evn
>>> if you don't have a smart phone.
>>>
>>> See also Pop Sci July 2014 (Vol 285 No 1), pp 050-055 and pg 80.
>>>
>>> /dps
>>
>> When plate scanners first came into vogue around here the local PD
>> started
>> using them to go through store parking lots at Christmas checking
>> people's
>> plates for expiration/ outstanding warrants. I noticed an increase in
>> people backing in to spaces after that. The local police are not noted
>> for
>> their willingness to leave the toasty warm vehicles in the winter.
>>
>> John Mc.
>>

> Wouldn't work for us here in Taxachusetts, where all our cars have front
> and rear plates.

With front plates, you can't see if the sticker is up to date. Unless
you have put stickers on both front and back.

Xho

Hactar

Aug 15, 2014, 9:19:08 PM8/15/14
In article <lsm9m9$95o$1...@dont-email.me>,
Xho Jingleheimerschmidt <xho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/15/14 09:48, Hactar wrote:
> > In article <ctbishop-0C68B3...@news.individual.net>,
> > Charles Bishop <ctbi...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> >> Had you chosen the tag with the intention of foiling LEOs?
> >
> > No, because I thought it was funny.
> >
> >> Did you not think through the outcome of you having NO PLATE?
> >
> > Jeez, not that far. A sane computer system would be structured like
> >
> > bool plate_exists;
> > string plate_value; /* ignored if plate_exists==FALSE */
> >
> > But I guess assuming sanity in a program run by state.fl.us is too much.
>
> You do realize that computer programs do not tap directly into the mind
> of God, right? A human being needs to enter data into this program
> (probably based on chicken scratch entered by another human being, with
> maybe yet another human being in between), and they might fail to grasp
> the distinction the computer so elegantly is capable of.

I don't think the ticket data is entered into some computer by anyone
except the ticket-writer (ICBW), who should know what he saw, and whether
it's an actual license plate that says "NO PLATE" or a note-to-self that
there was no plate. OTOH, they could go entirely by what they wrote and
the form might not be laid out like so:

no plate [ ]

plate number _______________________

> And why is plate_exists a Boolean? What if the plate exists but is
> illegible? What if we don't know if the plate exists because we
> couldn't be arsed to check? What if half of the plate exists but the
> other half is embedded into some guys abdomen and is unavailable for
> inspection?

Fine, rename it to "plate_valid" or something. Doesn't change the logic.

Tim Wright

Aug 15, 2014, 10:48:19 PM8/15/14
In Texas the registration sticker is on the windshield, not the plate.

--
"This .sig file intentionally left blank."

Tim W

Snidely

Aug 16, 2014, 1:40:24 AM8/16/14
On Friday, S. Checker pointed out that ...

> I back in because getting back out is so much easier. I can't remember
> how long I've been doing it. I'll do it less often in our minivan,
> though, then I have in my succession of smaller cars.

It's just as easy in a minivan as in a Mazda 3. I can vouch for that.
Jan gets to practice with 40 ft school buses in order to hook up to the
CNG. That's with a bus on either side.

The advantage of backing in, pulling out is that when you're in the
aisle you can see traffic, and when you pull out, you have only a short
obstacle to see around. When you pull in and back out, you have to be
halfway into the aisle before you can see traffic.

But my son can't do it at work ... the parking garage people don't like
it.

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Xho Jingleheimerschmidt

Aug 16, 2014, 7:36:38 PM8/16/14
On 08/13/14 19:32, Tim Wright wrote:

> Well, in this day and age if you don't want to be continuously
> tracked you better just lock your doors, draw your curtains, and stay
> the hell home. Between cell phones and video cameras on every corner
> if someone wants to map your movements it is not going to be
> difficult. If you have an Android phone, Google can track you and
> show you a map of where you've been.

Or at least a map of where they think you've been, which is often quite
different from where you've actually been.

And no, I am not 10 minutes from home. I am actually at home, on the
couch, in my underwear, working on the second bottle of wine.

Xho

hymie!

Aug 18, 2014, 10:56:34 AM8/18/14
go...@gossg.org, who said:

>I once saw a sports car labeled "HORNEY" outside the local pick-up
>disco. It was only a few years later that I discovered that the plate
>belonged to Richard Horney, one of our local's negotiations
>specialists.

Peter Schmuck is a Baltimore-area sports columnist. He was upset to learn,
when he moved to Baltimore, that he could not put his last name on his
vanity license plate.

--hymie! http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie hy...@lactose.homelinux.net

Howard Hol

Aug 18, 2014, 12:59:51 PM8/18/14
hy...@lactose.homelinux.net (hymie!) wrote in

> go...@gossg.org, who said:
>
>>I once saw a sports car labeled "HORNEY" outside the local pick-up
>>disco. It was only a few years later that I discovered that the plate
>>belonged to Richard Horney, one of our local's negotiations
>>specialists.
>
> Peter Schmuck is a Baltimore-area sports columnist. He was upset to
> learn, when he moved to Baltimore, that he could not put his last name
> on his vanity license plate.

What are the odds his parents went for the Trifecta and gave him the middle
name Dick?

S. Checker

Aug 18, 2014, 12:00:26 PM8/18/14
Snidely <snide...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, S. Checker pointed out that ...
>
>> I back in because getting back out is so much easier. I can't remember
>> how long I've been doing it. I'll do it less often in our minivan,
>> though, then I have in my succession of smaller cars.
>
> It's just as easy in a minivan as in a Mazda 3. I can vouch for that.
> Jan gets to practice with 40 ft school buses in order to hook up to the
> CNG. That's with a bus on either side.

Call me Big Mr. Wussy Wuss then. My relatively narrow Forester with its
big windows has much better visibility than our older minivan with a
tiny little backup camera screen.

However, it looks like tonight I may be picking up our brand new
minivan with a much bigger backup screen. The newer Honda minivan
(which we decided not to buy) had two backup cameras, one that points
back and one that points down from the top of the rear door. So you can
flip your vantage point and see exactly how close your rear bumper is
to the guy behind you.

It also had the camera on the passenger-side rear-view mirror that goes
on when you flip the turn signal on. Supposed to show you if anyone's
in the passenger-side blind spot. Seriously.

> The advantage of backing in, pulling out is that when you're in the
> aisle you can see traffic, and when you pull out, you have only a short
> obstacle to see around. When you pull in and back out, you have to be
> halfway into the aisle before you can see traffic.

You are preaching to the choir.

--
That reminds me, I put in my Yaz CD the other day and realized it was
crap.

Jeff Wisnia

Aug 18, 2014, 2:54:49 PM8/18/14
This obstetrician's last name probably wouldn't make it to the plate either:

http://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-william-kuntz-23rlr

Or this one too (female):

http://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-tracey-kuntz-xd9hm

Life for her in high school must have been unbearable.

Snidely

Aug 21, 2014, 4:47:00 AM8/21/14
S. Checker used thar keyboard to writen:

> Call me Big Mr. Wussy Wuss then. My relatively narrow Forester with its
> big windows has much better visibility than our older minivan with a
> tiny little backup camera screen.

What is this crazy moon talk? "backup camera screen"? There were no
backups for my camera; I had to take the roll to the lab to be
developed.

I was parking a 1999 Sienna in a carport -- one of those of the type
the apartments smush when the posts collapse in an earthquake, although
there was only one floor over the carports. Eventually they got turned
into a garage.

You don't need no fancy-ass-video behind you, you just need to see
where your rear wheels are.

/dps

--
Trust, but verify.

S. Checker

Aug 21, 2014, 8:36:53 AM8/21/14
Snidely <snide...@gmail.com> wrote:
> S. Checker used thar keyboard to writen:
>
>> Call me Big Mr. Wussy Wuss then. My relatively narrow Forester with its
>> big windows has much better visibility than our older minivan with a
>> tiny little backup camera screen.
>
> What is this crazy moon talk? "backup camera screen"? There were no
> backups for my camera; I had to take the roll to the lab to be
> developed.

I mentioned the Honda with the two backup cameras, right? And that
doesn't even compare to the luxo-barges that now come with cameras on
all sides so that you can get a 360-degree view through the screen. But
the ultimate for me has to be the self-parking cars - and that feature
isn't even that expensive now.

Not that I want it; parallel parking is one of the few talents I have
that involve hand-eye coordination, and in addition is the signal of a
more evolved driver. Other, less competent individuals go home and
replay my parking prowess in their heads over and over in the dead of
the night.

I think I'll get that coffee now.
--
A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you you've been
in a firefight.

Greg Goss

Aug 21, 2014, 12:11:43 PM8/21/14
spa...@gmail.com (S. Checker) wrote:

>> What is this crazy moon talk? "backup camera screen"? There were no
>> backups for my camera; I had to take the roll to the lab to be
>> developed.
>
>I mentioned the Honda with the two backup cameras, right? And that
>doesn't even compare to the luxo-barges that now come with cameras on
>all sides so that you can get a 360-degree view through the screen. But
>the ultimate for me has to be the self-parking cars - and that feature
>isn't even that expensive now.

A couple of years ago, I saw an ad for a not-that-expensive brand of
car that combined the views from four cameras into a virtual overhead
view of your car and the various obstacles you're trying to park
among.

ikat...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2017, 7:15:24 PM2/10/17
My original FastLane transponder died some time in January. I got it in 1999, which makes it ~17 years old. I actually thought that "transponder" uses induction from gate-mounted transceiver to power relay, but the guy in service center, who replaced it with a new one FOR FREE, said "battery"...

Tim Wright

Feb 10, 2017, 7:26:02 PM2/10/17
On 2/10/2017 18:15, ikat...@gmail.com wrote:
> My original FastLane transponder died some time in January. I got it in 1999, which makes it ~17 years old. I actually thought that "transponder" uses induction from gate-mounted transceiver to power relay, but the guy in service center, who replaced it with a new one FOR FREE, said "battery"...

The ones used by the North Texas Tollway Authority have no battery.
Neither the old bulky ones held on by velcro, nor the new stickers.

--
Mother Nature
"You cannot fit all of the seasons into one week."

Tim W

Lee Ayrton

Feb 14, 2017, 4:12:54 PM2/14/17
On 2/10/2017 7:15 PM, ikat...@gmail.com wrote:
> My original FastLane transponder died some time in January. I got it in 1999, which makes it ~17 years old. I actually thought that "transponder" uses induction from gate-mounted transceiver to power relay, but the guy in service center, who replaced it with a new one FOR FREE, said "battery"...

I had thought that FastLane was a passive system, but I can't find
anything definitive on that.

danny burstein

Feb 14, 2017, 9:46:31 PM2/14/17
I've had to replace NYC area ("MTA") EZ-Pass units
because of dead batteries. When at the counter I
saw quite a few other people doing the same.

dan...@panix.com

yaxi...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2017, 10:41:17 PM12/20/17
hey, i hear you.

same here, ezpass is a cash earning machine.

so make sure it doesnt

i have some helpful tips here, share if you think it's helpful.

https://youtu.be/I3HOHe2kk0s