Cecilians and US50

snide...@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2015, 10:03:00 PM4/15/15
Just a quick poll: How many AFCAns have experience with US Route 50?
(Fair disclosure: any contact I had would have been just after my 8th birthday,
and I wasn't the navigator on that trip.)

Also, does any of US50 run west of Kansas City (Lenexa, where I-435 turns upnorth)?

(From that trip, I remember going through Rabbit Ears Pass at night,
with construction going on, in a Morris Minor. The Euclid dump trucks
had wheels bigger than our car. Yes, that I remember. It appears that
route is US40.)

/dps

Bill Turlock

Apr 15, 2015, 11:21:03 PM4/15/15
On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 19:02:58 -0700 (PDT), snide...@gmail.com wrote:

>Just a quick poll: How many AFCAns have experience with US Route 50?

I think not.

Carl Fink

Apr 16, 2015, 8:59:10 AM4/16/15
What does any of this have to do with underground, legless amphibians?
--
Carl Fink nitpi...@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Mark Brader

Apr 16, 2015, 10:46:54 AM4/16/15
"/dps":
> Just a quick poll: How many AFCAns have experience with US Route 50?

Does the combined section of US 6 and US 50 in western Utah and eastern
Nevada count? I drove it in 2006 from NV 487 (coming from Great Basin
National Park) to Ely.

Last year I drove a few more miles on US 50, also in Nevada, from Carson
City to near Lake Tahoe.

Why?

> Also, does any of US50 run west of Kansas City...?

You're kidding.

The middle section of US 50 in Nevada, running west from Ely, is
famously nicknamed "America's Loneliest Road". On the 2006 trip I was
originally planning to drive it next, but I wasn't feeling entirely
well and opted for a shorter route to our destination in California,
continuing southwest and west from Ely on US 6 instead,
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | English is just getting used to the telephone.
m...@vex.net | -- John Lawler

snide...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2015, 1:05:38 PM4/16/15
On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 7:46:54 AM UTC-7, Mark Brader wrote:
> "/dps":
> > Just a quick poll: How many AFCAns have experience with US Route 50?
>
> Does the combined section of US 6 and US 50 in western Utah and eastern
> Nevada count? I drove it in 2006 from NV 487 (coming from Great Basin
> National Park) to Ely.
>
> Last year I drove a few more miles on US 50, also in Nevada, from Carson
> City to near Lake Tahoe.
>
> Why?

Because.

Something I was looking at last night had an ad (well, after all, I wasn't
paying for a subscription) for "Route 50". That prompted me to turn
to Google Maps. East to the Atlantic and west to ...

> > Also, does any of US50 run west of Kansas City...?
>
> You're kidding.

Uh, yeah, that's my story. I just couldn't find where I left the pieces.

> The middle section of US 50 in Nevada, running west from Ely, is
> famously nicknamed "America's Loneliest Road".

I forgot about the sobriquet, much less what it was applied to.

> On the 2006 trip I was
> originally planning to drive it next, but I wasn't feeling entirely
> well and opted for a shorter route to our destination in California,
> continuing southwest and west from Ely on US 6 instead,

Thanks!

/dps

Mark Brader

Apr 16, 2015, 1:24:47 PM4/16/15
Mark Brader:
> > Why?

"/dps":
> Because.
>
> Something I was looking at last night had an ad (well, after all, I wasn't
> paying for a subscription) for "Route 50". That prompted me to turn
> to Google Maps. East to the Atlantic and west to ...

Ah. Sacramento. Presumably, it used to continue to San Francisco but
the western section was replaced by I-80, and California doesn't believe
in dual-numbered highways (whereas in Utah, much of US 50 follows I-70).

> > On the 2006 trip... I wasn't feeling entirely
> > well and opted for a shorter route to our destination in California,
> > continuing southwest and west from Ely on US 6 instead,

> Thanks!

You're welcome. I'm glad my routing decision is appreciated.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "...and if sooner or later your revels must be ended,
m...@vex.net | well, at least you reveled." --Roger Ebert

Alfalfa Bill

Apr 16, 2015, 2:11:29 PM4/16/15
On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 7:59:10 AM UTC-5, Carl Fink wrote:
> On 2015-04-16, snide...@gmail.com <snide...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Just a quick poll: How many AFCAns have experience with US Route 50?
> > (Fair disclosure: any contact I had would have been just after my 8th birthday,
> > and I wasn't the navigator on that trip.)
> >
> > Also, does any of US50 run west of Kansas City (Lenexa, where I-435 turns upnorth)?
> >
> > (From that trip, I remember going through Rabbit Ears Pass at night,
> > with construction going on, in a Morris Minor. The Euclid dump trucks
> > had wheels bigger than our car. Yes, that I remember. It appears that
> > route is US40.)
>
> What does any of this have to do with underground, legless amphibians?

Post of the week!

snide...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2015, 2:20:12 PM4/16/15
On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 10:24:47 AM UTC-7, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > > Why?
>
> "/dps":
> > Because.
> >
> > Something I was looking at last night had an ad (well, after all, I wasn't
> > paying for a subscription) for "Route 50". That prompted me to turn
> > to Google Maps. East to the Atlantic and west to ...
>
> Ah. Sacramento.

No, I didn't get that far without help. Lenexa, near KC.

> Presumably, it used to continue to San Francisco but
> the western section was replaced by I-80, and California doesn't believe
> in dual-numbered highways (whereas in Utah, much of US 50 follows I-70).

Presumably west of KC, it co-mingles with I-35 to Emporia, but that part
isn't dual-labelled, hence my confusion. With your post in hand,
I was able to work backwards from Ely to Grand Junction, Pueblo, and Emporia.
And since I visited Boot Hill[before Rabbit Ears Pass], I may have
experience with US50 myselves, way back when.

> > > On the 2006 trip... I wasn't feeling entirely
> > > well and opted for a shorter route to our destination in California,
> > > continuing southwest and west from Ely on US 6 instead,
>
> > Thanks!
>
> You're welcome. I'm glad my routing decision is appreciated.

I also appreciate your Ebert quote.

/dps

snide...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2015, 9:02:01 PM4/16/15
On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 10:24:47 AM UTC-7, Mark Brader wrote:

> "/dps":
> > [...] East to the Atlantic and west to ...
>
> Ah. Sacramento. Presumably, it used to continue to San Francisco but
> the western section was replaced by I-80, and California doesn't believe
> in dual-numbered highways (whereas in Utah, much of US 50 follows I-70).

Naturally, there's a wikiparticle:

"By the early 1930s, US 50 had been extended to San Francisco via the former US 48 by overlapping US 99 from Sacramento to Stockton and replacing US 48 over Altamont Pass to US 101E (Foothill Boulevard at Castro Valley Boulevard) near Hayward.[36][37] It was extended over the new Bay Bridge at the time of its opening in 1936, replacing US 101E on Foothill Boulevard and the present MacArthur Boulevard to the Bay Bridge Distribution Structure in Oakland.[38][39] As the new MacArthur Freeway (now I-580) was constructed, US 50 was moved to it.[40] This extension was officially eliminated in the 1964 renumbering,[41] but it remained on maps and signs for several more years[42][43][44] before being replaced by I-80 over the Bay Bridge, I-580 over Altamont Pass, I-205 business route through Tracy, I-5 to Stockton, SR 4 (Charter Way) and SR 26 through Stockton, and SR 99 to Sacramento."

<URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_50_in_California#Extension_to_San_Francisco>

/dps

snide...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2015, 3:56:14 PM4/17/15
On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 5:59:10 AM UTC-7, Carl Fink wrote:
> On 2015-04-16, snide...@gmail.com <snide...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Just a quick poll: How many AFCAns have experience with US Route 50?
> > (Fair disclosure: any contact I had would have been just after my 8th birthday,
> > and I wasn't the navigator on that trip.)
> >
> > Also, does any of US50 run west of Kansas City (Lenexa, where I-435 turns upnorth)?
> >
> > (From that trip, I remember going through Rabbit Ears Pass at night,
> > with construction going on, in a Morris Minor. The Euclid dump trucks
> > had wheels bigger than our car. Yes, that I remember. It appears that
> > route is US40.)
>
> What does any of this have to do with underground, legless amphibians?

Well, clearly it affects how long they wait for the Trailways bus.

But I'm sure the Godfather thinks his people have a leg to stand on,
and perhaps s he'll arrange for you to encounter same.

/dps

Charles Bishop

Apr 17, 2015, 8:42:03 PM4/17/15
In article <_dOdnU2QidjAVrLI...@vex.net>,
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

> Last year I drove a few more miles on US 50, also in Nevada, from Carson
> City to near Lake Tahoe.
>
> Why?

I think only you can answer that.

--
charles

Charles Bishop

Apr 17, 2015, 8:48:42 PM4/17/15
In article <lo2dnTucGdbDbbLI...@vex.net>,
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

> Mark Brader:
> > > Why?
>
> "/dps":
> > Because.
> >
> > Something I was looking at last night had an ad (well, after all, I wasn't
> > paying for a subscription) for "Route 50". That prompted me to turn
> > to Google Maps. East to the Atlantic and west to ...
>
> Ah. Sacramento. Presumably, it used to continue to San Francisco but
> the western section was replaced by I-80, and California doesn't believe
> in dual-numbered highways (whereas in Utah, much of US 50 follows I-70).

I didn't know that about CA and dual numbered highways. I went to a map
to see what happened to Hwy 1 when it meets 101 in Oxnard, and the map
doesn't indicate that 1 runs along 101. The map could be leaving out
info, but I'd rather believe you.

What happens to Hwy 1 in these cases? Does it cease to exist until it
pops up again just (logical) north of Gaviota St Park?

Is this because of funding, of not wanting to have to decide who is
responsible for what repairs?

> > > On the 2006 trip... I wasn't feeling entirely
> > > well and opted for a shorter route to our destination in California,
> > > continuing southwest and west from Ely on US 6 instead,
>
> > Thanks!
>
> You're welcome. I'm glad my routing decision is appreciated.

--
charles, also the information you're a fount of

Charles Bishop

Apr 17, 2015, 8:51:30 PM4/17/15
In article <slrnmivcgs...@panix1.panix.com>,
Carl Fink <ca...@panix.com> wrote:

> On 2015-04-16, snide...@gmail.com <snide...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Just a quick poll: How many AFCAns have experience with US Route 50?
> > (Fair disclosure: any contact I had would have been just after my 8th
> > birthday,
> > and I wasn't the navigator on that trip.)
> >
> > Also, does any of US50 run west of Kansas City (Lenexa, where I-435 turns
> > upnorth)?
> >
> > (From that trip, I remember going through Rabbit Ears Pass at night,
> > with construction going on, in a Morris Minor. The Euclid dump trucks
> > had wheels bigger than our car. Yes, that I remember. It appears that
> > route is US40.)
>
> What does any of this have to do with underground, legless amphibians?

HWY 50 was a major travel route for them. With the disappearance of some
of the segments, they have become isolated, and because of that, bitter.

--
charles

Tim Wright

Apr 17, 2015, 9:10:45 PM4/17/15
Perhaps Kalifornians just can't wrap their heads around the concept.

--
Electric cars will only become popular when they can be recharged as
fast as a 5 year old on a power nap.

Tim W

Bob

Apr 17, 2015, 9:15:19 PM4/17/15
I survived the Silver Bridge collapse! By not being anywhere near it, then or since. But I've at least walked Constitution Ave. & may have driven some of US 50 on the way to & from Manassas in 1990.

Bob

Apr 17, 2015, 9:23:22 PM4/17/15
> I survived the Silver Bridge collapse! By not being anywhere near it,

Especially since that was US 35.

Darn.

Mark Brader

Apr 17, 2015, 9:56:41 PM4/17/15
Mark Brader:
> > Ah. Sacramento. Presumably, it used to continue to San Francisco but
> > the western section was replaced by I-80, and California doesn't believe
> > in dual-numbered highways (whereas in Utah, much of US 50 follows I-70).

Charles Bishop:
> I didn't know that about CA and dual numbered highways. I went to a map
> to see what happened to Hwy 1 when it meets 101 in Oxnard, and the map
> doesn't indicate that 1 runs along 101. The map could be leaving out
> info, but I'd rather believe you.
>
> What happens to Hwy 1 in these cases? Does it cease to exist until it
> pops up again...

That's my understanding, yes. Similarly at the Golden Gate Bridge and
other places. I have read misc.transport.road occasionally over the
years and this is probably something I saw mentioned there.

> Is this because of funding, of not wanting to have to decide who is
> responsible for what repairs?

I think it's just their idea of the right way to do things.

> also the information you're a fount of

Thanks.
--
Mark Brader "I always hoped that when someone quoted me
Toronto it would be because I said something profound."

Mark Brader

Apr 17, 2015, 9:59:53 PM4/17/15
"Bob":
> > I survived the Silver Bridge collapse! By not being anywhere near it...
> Especially since that was US 35.

Huh, so it was. And the freeway where a bridge over the Mississippi
collapsed was I-35W. It's enough to make a person afraid of bridges
on highways with 35 in their number.
--
Mark Brader | "For the stronger we our houses do build,
Toronto | The less chance we have of being killed."

Tim Wright

Apr 17, 2015, 10:25:50 PM4/17/15
On 4/17/2015 8:59 PM, Mark Brader wrote:
> "Bob":
>>> I survived the Silver Bridge collapse! By not being anywhere near it...
>> Especially since that was US 35.
>
> Huh, so it was. And the freeway where a bridge over the Mississippi
> collapsed was I-35W. It's enough to make a person afraid of bridges
> on highways with 35 in their number.

I35 splits in Denton, Tx. I35E goes through Dallas, I35W goes through
Fort Worth and they rejoin into I35 just north of Hillsborough. Perhaps
it was US35 that goes through Mississippi.

The Interstates that goes north/south through Mississippi are I55 and I59.

Tim Wright

Apr 17, 2015, 10:42:12 PM4/17/15
On 4/17/2015 9:25 PM, Tim Wright wrote:
> On 4/17/2015 8:59 PM, Mark Brader wrote:
>> "Bob":
>>> Especially since that was US 35.
>>
>> Huh, so it was. And the freeway where a bridge over the Mississippi
>> collapsed was I-35W. It's enough to make a person afraid of bridges
>> on highways with 35 in their number.
>>
> I35 splits in Denton, Tx. I35E goes through Dallas, I35W goes through
> Fort Worth and they rejoin into I35 just north of Hillsborough. Perhaps
> it was US35 that goes through Mississippi.
>
> The Interstates that goes north/south through Mississippi are I55 and I59.

You know, some day I need to start reading for comprehension. Please
ignore previous post.

Snidely

Apr 18, 2015, 2:24:53 AM4/18/15
On Friday, Tim Wright pleaded:
> On 4/17/2015 9:25 PM, Tim Wright wrote:
>> On 4/17/2015 8:59 PM, Mark Brader wrote:
>>> "Bob":

>>> Huh, so it was. And the freeway where a bridge over the Mississippi
>>> collapsed was I-35W. It's enough to make a person afraid of bridges
>>> on highways with 35 in their number.
>>>
>> I35 splits in Denton, Tx. I35E goes through Dallas, I35W goes through
>> Fort Worth and they rejoin into I35 just north of Hillsborough. Perhaps
>> it was US35 that goes through Mississippi.
>>
>> The Interstates that goes north/south through Mississippi are I55 and I59.
>>
> You know, some day I need to start reading for comprehension. Please ignore

No, no. It's worth it for the stand-alone information.

/dps

--
Maybe C282Y is simply one of the hangers-on, a groupie following a
future guitar god of the human genome: an allele with undiscovered

art...@yahoo.com

Apr 18, 2015, 11:27:33 AM4/18/15
On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 8:59:10 AM UTC-4, Carl Fink wrote:

> What does any of this have to do with underground, legless amphibians?

Without legs are they sessile caecilians?

Greg Goss

Apr 18, 2015, 11:51:59 AM4/18/15
Charles Bishop <ctbi...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>> Ah. Sacramento. Presumably, it used to continue to San Francisco but
>> the western section was replaced by I-80, and California doesn't believe
>> in dual-numbered highways (whereas in Utah, much of US 50 follows I-70).
>
>I didn't know that about CA and dual numbered highways. I went to a map
>to see what happened to Hwy 1 when it meets 101 in Oxnard, and the map
>doesn't indicate that 1 runs along 101. The map could be leaving out
>info, but I'd rather believe you.
>
>What happens to Hwy 1 in these cases? Does it cease to exist until it
>pops up again just (logical) north of Gaviota St Park?

BC goes both ways. There are multiple numbers on some highways, and
multiple highways with a given number in other cases.

Highway 99 shares pavement with Highway 1, then further south it
shares a bridge with 1A.

Highway 5 and 97C are collectively "Coq A, Coq B, and Coq C". 5A
appears a dozen or so miles east of the 97C and 5 crossing, but I
don't think that they dual-number that stretch of Coq C.

In BC, generally low numbers are east-west, (1,3,7) high 2 digit
numbers are north-south, (97, 99) and diagonal highways get numbers
areound the middle. The portion of Highway 5 that I'm aware of is
diagonal, but it inherited the number from the old Princeton-Merritt
highway that was generally horizontal.

Mark Brader

Apr 18, 2015, 1:36:27 PM4/18/15
Greg Goss:
> In BC, generally low numbers are east-west, (1,3,7) high 2 digit
> numbers are north-south, (97, 99) ...

Because the high 2-digit numbers each are, or used to be, continuations
of the US highways with the same number. (BC 101 continues the pattern
although it does not connect with US 101.)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "If we gave people a choice, there would be chaos."
m...@vex.net | -- Dick McDonald

Carl Fink

Apr 18, 2015, 7:39:12 PM4/18/15
Serpentine. Slithering. But not sessile.

Caecilians are a fascinating and little-studied group.

Greg Goss

Apr 18, 2015, 10:28:14 PM4/18/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

>Greg Goss:
>> In BC, generally low numbers are east-west, (1,3,7) high 2 digit
>> numbers are north-south, (97, 99) ...
>
>Because the high 2-digit numbers each are, or used to be, continuations
>of the US highways with the same number. (BC 101 continues the pattern
>although it does not connect with US 101.)

I didn't know that BC had three digit designations. Other than, of
course, the use of the "4" prefix by Ontario immigrants to indicate
freeways.

bill van

Apr 18, 2015, 10:50:23 PM4/18/15
In article <cpgi5s...@mid.individual.net>,
Wikipedia says there are just four B.C. highways with numbers over 100:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_Columbia_provincial_highway
s>
--
bill

Bill Turlock

Apr 19, 2015, 12:47:43 AM4/19/15
On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 20:28:10 -0600, Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:

>I didn't know that BC had three digit designations. Other than, of
>course, the use of the "4" prefix by Ontario immigrants to indicate
>freeways.

That's funny, I got a rare coin once said "145BC"

Kerr Mudd-John

Apr 19, 2015, 3:07:41 PM4/19/15
On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 16:27:32 +0100, art...@yahoo.com <art...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 8:59:10 AM UTC-4, Carl Fink wrote:
>
>> What does any of this have to do with underground, legless amphibians?
>>
> Without legs are they sessile caecilians?

I remember back when we were advised of her afternoon activities by Messrs
Garfunkel and Simon (not in that order)
--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug

Kerr Mudd-John

Apr 19, 2015, 3:08:26 PM4/19/15
On Sun, 19 Apr 2015 00:39:11 +0100, Carl Fink <ca...@panix.com> wrote:

> On 2015-04-18, art...@yahoo.com <art...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 8:59:10 AM UTC-4, Carl Fink wrote:
>>
>>> What does any of this have to do with underground, legless amphibians?
>>>
>> Without legs are they sessile caecilians?
>
> Serpentine. Slithering. But not sessile.
>
> Caecilians are a fascinating and little-studied group.

Donna mess with the Cosa Nostra

Bill Turlock

Apr 19, 2015, 3:15:24 PM4/19/15
On Sun, 19 Apr 2015 20:08:28 +0100, "Kerr Mudd-John" <ad...@127.0.0.1>
wrote:
Just last week, they ordered a hit on the JW church.

Kerr Mudd-John

Apr 19, 2015, 3:20:19 PM4/19/15
In my collection I have "King Edward the First". and "Llewelyn the Last"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llywelyn_ap_Gruffudd

Hactar

Apr 19, 2015, 4:08:04 PM4/19/15
In article <op.xxcsq408msr2db@dell3100>,
Then we went for a ride in a real race car!

--
-eben QebWe...@vTerYizUonI.nOetP ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA: A big promotion is just around the corner for someone

Bill Turlock

Apr 19, 2015, 5:38:04 PM4/19/15
The Mob don't like _any_ kind of witnesses!