English, a weird language???

dilbert firestorm

Nov 23, 2015, 2:32:18 AM11/23/15
https://aeon.co/essays/why-is-english-so-weirdly-different-from-other-languages

ok, I have to admit, I never thought English was wierd, but this article
says otherwise.

to wit, I thought some aspects of other foreign languages kinda weird,
like having an adjective to denote females.

--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me

Brettster

Nov 23, 2015, 2:52:25 PM11/23/15
Very cool article. Thanks for posting.

It wasn't until I started studying foreign languages that I
began to realize the many peculiarities of English (and of
the other languages as well).

For example, Asian friends who don't have a comprehensive
grasp of English say things to me like, "Why you ate that?"
instead of "Why DID you EAT that?" That used to sound so
terrible to me, but now I realize how dumb it is for English
to arrange the words that way. "Why you ate that" is simpler,
and it's the way a lot of other languages would organize the
thoughts. It's more efficient. I feel sorry for foreign students
of English who have to learn why the verb "to do" plays the role
it does.

Conversely, when I started to study Tagalog, I was amazed that
they have no words for "he or she." Just one word, siya, a
genderless pronoun. Context is everything.

art...@yahoo.com

Nov 23, 2015, 3:02:50 PM11/23/15
On Monday, November 23, 2015 at 2:32:18 AM UTC-5, dilbert firestorm wrote:
> https://aeon.co/essays/why-is-english-so-weirdly-different-from-other-languages
>
> ok, I have to admit, I never thought English was wierd, but this article
> says otherwise.

The spelling rules are among the wierder aspects of the language.

Greg Goss

Nov 23, 2015, 3:44:48 PM11/23/15
Part of the spelling oddities are that stolen words keep their
original spelling for several centuries while the pronounced version
drifts towards whatever English considers normal.

Then there was the big shift just after Gutenberg. If printing had
stabilized the language fifty years later, the middle "gh"s and the
trailing E and a bunch of other oddities wouldn't have been locked in.

Hactar

Nov 23, 2015, 4:08:10 PM11/23/15
In article <91e6b3f4-e883-40f3...@googlegroups.com>,
Apparently Korean also doesn't distinguish "he" from "she". There were
some amusing incidents from my friend's wife (ESL, Korean).

--
-eben QebWe...@vTerYizUonI.nOetP ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA: A big promotion is just around the corner for someone

Howard

Nov 23, 2015, 4:10:08 PM11/23/15
Brettster <brett...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Very cool article. Thanks for posting.
>
> It wasn't until I started studying foreign languages that I
> began to realize the many peculiarities of English (and of
> the other languages as well).
>
> For example, Asian friends who don't have a comprehensive
> grasp of English say things to me like, "Why you ate that?"
> instead of "Why DID you EAT that?" That used to sound so
> terrible to me, but now I realize how dumb it is for English
> to arrange the words that way. "Why you ate that" is simpler,
> and it's the way a lot of other languages would organize the
> thoughts. It's more efficient. I feel sorry for foreign students
> of English who have to learn why the verb "to do" plays the role
> it does.

One thing that may make it more confusing for them is that it's fine to say
"Tell me why you ate that" or "Why you ate that is beyond me."

Les Albert

Nov 23, 2015, 6:09:48 PM11/23/15
Here is the classic poem about English spelling and pronunciation:
http://www.anagrammy.com/literary/various/poems-english.html

It's a long poem but here is one stanza:

Just compare heart, beard, and heard,
Dies and diet, lord and word,
Sword and sward, retain and Britain.
(Mind the latter, how it's written.)
Now I surely will not plague you
With such words as plaque and ague.
But be careful how you speak:
Say break and steak, but bleak and streak;

Les

Alfalfa Bill

Nov 23, 2015, 8:10:27 PM11/23/15
How did we get rid of the "f" in place of "s" in old newspapers?

Greg Goss

Nov 24, 2015, 1:28:52 AM11/24/15
I think that was just an odd kerning (or equivalent) rule. If you had
two Ss together, the first one became sort'a like an F.

Doubled letters have odd rules. I've been told that the Spanish
double-N and the French double C resulted in one of the two being
written above the other, and eventually one of the two became a
degenerate trace of its original shape.

Bill Turlock

Nov 24, 2015, 2:20:51 AM11/24/15
On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 12:02:49 -0800 (PST), "art...@yahoo.com"
<art...@yahoo.com> wrote:

"i" before "e" rules are weird and unscientific.

Snidely

Nov 24, 2015, 2:32:42 AM11/24/15
Brettster was thinking very hard :
Be thankful English has already removed a lot tenses, as well as all
that adjective inflection for grammatical gender.

I gather Latin had 2x the tenses of English, and many European
languages kept some of the ones we didn't. And then there were the
moods and voices.

/dps

--
Maybe C282Y is simply one of the hangers-on, a groupie following a
future guitar god of the human genome: an allele with undiscovered

Richard Hershberger

Nov 24, 2015, 8:41:49 AM11/24/15
The "long s" was used when the letter occurred at the beginning or within a word. The "round s" was used only when it was the last letter in the word. The long form disappeared across Europe over the later 18th century. I don't know why.

Richard R. Hershberger

danny burstein

Nov 24, 2015, 8:43:30 AM11/24/15
In <ac270dea-927b-427c...@googlegroups.com> Richard Hershberger <rrh...@gmail.com> writes:

>> Doubled letters have odd rules. I've been told that the Spanish
>> double-N and the French double C resulted in one of the two being
>> written above the other, and eventually one of the two became a
>> degenerate trace of its original shape.

>The "long s" was used when the letter occurred at the beginning or within a word. The "round s" was used only when it was the last letter in the word. The long form disappeared across Europe over the later 18th century. I don't know why.

Me, I blame Congresf

dan...@panix.com

Whiskers

Nov 24, 2015, 9:06:20 AM11/24/15
Those weren't effs they were long esses. Some typefaces didn't
distinguish between them very well, hence the confusion. The long ess
eventually fell out of fashion - perhaps in part because of the
confusion in badly printed documents, but more probably because it cost
less to make type sets with only one form of ess. (The long ess came
about because it looked nice in handwriting instead of the short ess in
some places).

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Hactar

Nov 24, 2015, 1:08:10 PM11/24/15
In article <n31pi1$8v4$1...@reader1.panix.com>,
danny burstein <dan...@panix.com> wrote:
> In <ac270dea-927b-427c...@googlegroups.com> Richard
> Hershberger <rrh...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> Doubled letters have odd rules. I've been told that the Spanish
> >> double-N and the French double C resulted in one of the two being
> >> written above the other, and eventually one of the two became a
> >> degenerate trace of its original shape.
>
> >The "long s" was used when the letter occurred at the beginning or
> within a word. The "round s" was used only when it was the last letter
> in the word. The long form disappeared across Europe over the later
> 18th century. I don't know why.
>
> Me, I blame Congresf

"Congrefs", perhaps?

Les Albert

Nov 24, 2015, 1:36:36 PM11/24/15
>> Richard Hershberger <rrh...@gmail.com> writes:

>> >The "long s" was used when the letter occurred at the beginning or
>> within a word. The "round s" was used only when it was the last letter
>> in the word. The long form disappeared across Europe over the later
>> 18th century. I don't know why.

The "long s" disappeared across Europe because of a generational
change. Younger churchgoers were mispronouning it, and throughout
Europe there was consternation when the younger readers were reciting
the 22nd psalm which read in part, "But be not thou far off, O LORD: O
thou my succour, haste thee to help me.".

Les

Peter Boulding

Nov 24, 2015, 4:52:43 PM11/24/15
On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 23:21:22 -0800, Bill Turlock
<billt...@billturlock.com> wrote in
<0v385bp4528g0p1re...@4ax.com>:

>"i" before "e" rules are weird and unscientific.

The whole language is weird and unscientific, being a haphazard amalgam of
other languages that used different vocab and rules. In the case of the "i
before e" "rule", it's not in fact a rule but only a guideline, and only
covers words in which an ie or ei combination is pronounced "ee", and even
then there's a long list of exceptions.

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words;
on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.
--James Nicoll

--
Regards, Peter Boulding
pjbn...@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk (to e-mail, remove "UNSPAM")

Sano

Nov 25, 2015, 5:33:55 AM11/25/15
dilbert firestorm <sca...@bytemei-55.com> wrote in

> https://aeon.co/essays/why-is-english-so-weirdly-different-from-other
> -languages
>
> ok, I have to admit, I never thought English was wierd, but this
> article says otherwise.
>
> to wit, I thought some aspects of other foreign languages kinda
> weird, like having an adjective to denote females.

Absolutely is weird.

My shoemaker, probably gone now, a wise Italian said to pronounce
SHEET and SHIT and SHEEP. In many ways they will all sound the same.

S. Checker

Nov 25, 2015, 9:00:07 AM11/25/15
Richard Hershberger <rrh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The "long s" was used when the letter occurred at the beginning or within a word. The "round s" was used only when it was the last letter in the word. The long form disappeared across Europe over the later 18th century. I don't know why.

Becaufe it was filly to have two fhapes for the fame letter.
--
We are here on Earth to do good for others. What the others are here for
I don't know.

Hactar

Nov 25, 2015, 2:08:11 PM11/25/15
In article <88rgic-...@porter.pffcu.org>,
S. Checker <spa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Richard Hershberger <rrh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The "long s" was used when the letter occurred at the beginning or
> within a word. The "round s" was used only when it was the last letter
> in the word. The long form disappeared across Europe over the later
> 18th century. I don't know why.
>
> Becaufe it was filly to have two fhapes for the fame letter.

Tell that to the Greeks.

Xho Jingleheimerschmidt

Nov 26, 2015, 9:16:20 AM11/26/15
On 11/23/15 23:32, Snidely wrote:
> Brettster was thinking very hard :

>> Conversely, when I started to study Tagalog, I was amazed that
>> they have no words for "he or she." Just one word, siya, a
>> genderless pronoun. Context is everything.
>
> Be thankful English has already removed a lot tenses, as well as all
> that adjective inflection for grammatical gender.
>
> I gather Latin had 2x the tenses of English, and many European languages
> kept some of the ones we didn't. And then there were the moods and voices.

And don't forget about the color, charm, and spin.

Xho

Whiskers

Nov 26, 2015, 2:17:20 PM11/26/15
On 2015-11-25, S. Checker <spa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Richard Hershberger <rrh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The "long s" was used when the letter occurred at the beginning or
>> within a word. The "round s" was used only when it was the last
>> letter in the word. The long form disappeared across Europe over the
>> later 18th century. I don't know why.
>
> Becaufe it was filly to have two fhapes for the fame letter.

But very natural in handwriting, even if ſuch idioſyncraſies tend to go
unnoticed. (Curious observation: my ſpelling checker is happy with
a long ſ in all the foregoing words).

Bill Turlock

Nov 26, 2015, 3:17:34 PM11/26/15
On 26 Nov 2015 19:17:17 GMT, Whiskers <catwh...@operamail.com>
wrote:

>On 2015-11-25, S. Checker <spa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Richard Hershberger <rrh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The "long s" was used when the letter occurred at the beginning or
>>> within a word. The "round s" was used only when it was the last
>>> letter in the word. The long form disappeared across Europe over the
>>> later 18th century. I don't know why.
>>
>> Becaufe it was filly to have two fhapes for the fame letter.
>
>But very natural in handwriting, even if ?uch idio?yncra?ies tend to go
>unnoticed. (Curious observation: my ?pelling checker is happy with
>a long ? in all the foregoing words).

Apparently UfeNet if not.

Whiskers

Nov 26, 2015, 5:32:23 PM11/26/15
The current version (Agent 8) of your newsreader looks as though it can
handle UTF-8; the setting is in Tools - Options - Languages
<http://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#69F5E7792BAF7B18852573C900575D86>

Bill Turlock

Nov 26, 2015, 6:48:32 PM11/26/15
On 26 Nov 2015 22:32:21 GMT, Whiskers <catwh...@operamail.com>
wrote:

>On 2015-11-26, Bill Turlock <billt...@billturlock.com> wrote:
>> On 26 Nov 2015 19:17:17 GMT, Whiskers <catwh...@operamail.com>
>> wrote:

>>>But very natural in handwriting, even if ?uch idio?yncra?ies tend to go
>>>unnoticed. (Curious observation: my ?pelling checker is happy with
>>>a long ? in all the foregoing words).
>>
>> Apparently UfeNet if not.
>
>The current version (Agent 8) of your newsreader looks as though it can
>handle UTF-8; the setting is in Tools - Options - Languages
><http://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#69F5E7792BAF7B18852573C900575D86>

fank you

dilbert firestorm

Dec 7, 2015, 9:27:28 PM12/7/15
that's pretty close to spank you

dilbert firestorm

Dec 7, 2015, 9:30:04 PM12/7/15
On 11/24/2015 3:52 PM, Peter Boulding wrote:
> "The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
> English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow
> words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways
> to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.
> --James Nicoll

LOL, that has to be added to my list of favorite quotes.

Greg Goss

Dec 8, 2015, 12:00:42 AM12/8/15
dilbert firestorm <sca...@bytemei-55.com> wrote:

>On 11/24/2015 3:52 PM, Peter Boulding wrote:
>> "The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
>> English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow
>> words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways
>> to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.
>> --James Nicoll
>
>LOL, that has to be added to my list of favorite quotes.

I'm surprised that this is the first you've heard it.
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/post/about-the-purity-of-the-english-language-t-shirts

Questor

Apr 19, 2018, 4:00:11 AM4/19/18
On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 01:32:15 -0600, dilbert firestorm <sca...@bytemei-55.com>
wrote:
>https://aeon.co/essays/why-is-english-so-weirdly-different-from-other-languages
>
>ok, I have to admit, I never thought English was wierd, but this article
>says otherwise.

"English is the result of Norman knights trying to pick up Saxon barmaids,
and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
-- Timothy A. McDaniel

Questor

Apr 19, 2018, 4:00:22 AM4/19/18
On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 23:32:35 -0800, Snidely <snide...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Brettster was thinking very hard :
>> Very cool article. Thanks for posting.
>>
>> It wasn't until I started studying foreign languages that I
>> began to realize the many peculiarities of English (and of
>> the other languages as well).
>>
>> For example, Asian friends who don't have a comprehensive
>> grasp of English say things to me like, "Why you ate that?"
>> instead of "Why DID you EAT that?" That used to sound so
>> terrible to me, but now I realize how dumb it is for English
>> to arrange the words that way. "Why you ate that" is simpler,
>> and it's the way a lot of other languages would organize the
>> thoughts. It's more efficient. I feel sorry for foreign students
>> of English who have to learn why the verb "to do" plays the role
>> it does.

Other languages have auxiliary verbs; German is one such.

>> Conversely, when I started to study Tagalog, I was amazed that
>> they have no words for "he or she." Just one word, siya, a
>> genderless pronoun. Context is everything.
>
>Be thankful English has already removed a lot tenses, as well as all
>that adjective inflection for grammatical gender.
>
>I gather Latin had 2x the tenses of English, and many European
>languages kept some of the ones we didn't. And then there were the
>moods and voices.

I don't think Latin has any more tenses (or cases) than English, but as you
note, it is highly inflected, so they're more visible. Off the top of my head,
only with the genitive case do word endings change in English.