Okay Wright.

John Mc.

Dec 28, 2015, 10:08:48 PM12/28/15
That's it. Seems like every time there's a huge storm dumping a
Gazillion gallons of water on Texas you can't be happy with Mother
Nature's Blessings. Oh no, you send it my way. My rain gauge goes up to
6". From Saturday morning to Sunday evening I got 4.3". I now have
another 2.1". Enough is enough. I thought it was dry down there and you
needed the rain. Seeesh!

John Mc.

Tim Wright

Dec 28, 2015, 10:43:24 PM12/28/15
Normally we get about 32" of rain a year. This year we're over 60". An
embarrassment of riches, as it were. At least we kept the tornado to
ourselves this time.

It's like an old farmer explained to me years ago, "Son, I've been
farming around here for 70 years. I figure I've spent 50 years praying
it would rain, and 20 years praying it would stop."

You'll really love to hear we had snow flurries here this morning.

I blame it on El Niño. I'd rather blame it on the Bossa Nova, but there
you are.

--
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
but I repeat myself.

Tim W

bill van

Dec 28, 2015, 11:26:25 PM12/28/15
In article <HMidnbryDcLGnB_L...@supernews.com>,
Tim Wright <tlwri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/28/2015 9:08 PM, John Mc. wrote:
> > That's it. Seems like every time there's a huge storm dumping a
> > Gazillion gallons of water on Texas you can't be happy with Mother
> > Nature's Blessings. Oh no, you send it my way. My rain gauge goes
> > up to 6". From Saturday morning to Sunday evening I got 4.3". I now
> > have another 2.1". Enough is enough. I thought it was dry down
> > there and you needed the rain. Seeesh!
>
> Normally we get about 32" of rain a year. This year we're over 60".
> An embarrassment of riches, as it were. At least we kept the tornado
> to ourselves this time.
>
> It's like an old farmer explained to me years ago, "Son, I've been
> farming around here for 70 years. I figure I've spent 50 years
> praying it would rain, and 20 years praying it would stop."
>
> You'll really love to hear we had snow flurries here this morning.
>
> I blame it on El Niño. I'd rather blame it on the Bossa Nova, but
> there you are.

Deadly extreme weather on at least five continents is driven in large
part by a record-breaking El Nino, but climate change is a likely
booster too, experts said Monday.

The 2015-16 El Nino, they added, is the strongest ever measured. "It is
probably the most powerful in the last 100 years," said Jerome Lecou, a
climate expert at the French weather service Meteo France, noting that
accurate measurements have only existed since the mid-20th century.

Flooding and mudslides unleashed by torrential rains have killed at
least 10 people and driven more than 150,000 from their homes in
Paraguay, Argentina and Uruguay in recent days.

In central and southwestern United States‹where temperatures in Texas
are forecast to drop from a balmy 28 degrees Celsius (82 degrees
Fahrenheit) Saturday to zero (32 F) on Monday‹clashing weather fronts
have given rise to snow-packed blizzards, freezing rain and a spate of
tornadoes that have claimed at least 43 lives.

Across the Pacific, meanwhile, wildfires in Australia fanned by high
temperatures and super-dry conditions have engulfed more than 100 homes
outside Melbourne, with hundreds more threatened.

More here:

<http://phys.org/news/2015-12-el-nino-climate-extreme-weather.html>
--
bill

Snidely

Dec 29, 2015, 1:59:20 AM12/29/15
Just this Monday, bill van puzzled about:
Has to be a strong El Nino; SoCal has actually gotten measurable rain
this month. 1.08" so far (at LAX), with 44/100" coming in just one
day!

/dps

--
Trust, but verify.

John Mc.

Dec 29, 2015, 8:48:00 AM12/29/15
On 12/28/2015 10:43 PM, Tim Wright wrote:
> On 12/28/2015 9:08 PM, John Mc. wrote:
>> That's it. Seems like every time there's a huge storm dumping a
>> Gazillion gallons of water on Texas you can't be happy with Mother
>> Nature's Blessings. Oh no, you send it my way. My rain gauge goes up to
>> 6". From Saturday morning to Sunday evening I got 4.3". I now have
>> another 2.1". Enough is enough. I thought it was dry down there and you
>> needed the rain. Seeesh!
>>
>> John Mc.
>
> Normally we get about 32" of rain a year. This year we're over 60". An
> embarrassment of riches, as it were. At least we kept the tornado to
> ourselves this time.
>
> It's like an old farmer explained to me years ago, "Son, I've been
> farming around here for 70 years. I figure I've spent 50 years praying
> it would rain, and 20 years praying it would stop."
>
> You'll really love to hear we had snow flurries here this morning.
>
> I blame it on El Niño. I'd rather blame it on the Bossa Nova, but there
> you are.

And now I have snow here.

John Mc.

Tim Wright

Dec 29, 2015, 8:56:56 AM12/29/15
I'll try to give you a heads up on the brimstone.

Rick B.

Dec 29, 2015, 10:57:39 AM12/29/15
Tim Wright <tlwri...@gmail.com> wrote in
Not to mention the rain of blood. And the toads.

Tim Wright

Dec 29, 2015, 11:19:36 AM12/29/15
We do get mud rain from time to time. And there was that plague of
grasshoppers a couple of years ago. Suckers ate anything green.
Regardless of the flowers, naked rose bushes don't look nice.

John Mc.

Dec 29, 2015, 12:28:01 PM12/29/15
TOO LATE!

John Mc.

Bill Turlock

Dec 29, 2015, 3:52:37 PM12/29/15
On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 08:47:58 -0500, "John Mc." <jo...@thetdcogre.com>
wrote:

>> You'll really love to hear we had snow flurries here this morning.
>>
>> I blame it on El Niño. I'd rather blame it on the Bossa Nova, but there
>> you are.
>>

>And now I have snow here.

Hmm. Sunny & cold here in No Cal (55°) : - )

Bill Turlock

Dec 29, 2015, 3:54:18 PM12/29/15
On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 12:28:00 -0500, "John Mc." <jo...@thetdcogre.com>
wrote:

>>> And now I have snow here.
>>>
>>> John Mc.
>>
>> I'll try to give you a heads up on the brimstone.
>>
>TOO LATE!
>
>John Mc.

I've decided how I'm gonna leave No. Calif.庸eet first, in a pine box.

Kerr Mudd-John

Dec 29, 2015, 4:06:40 PM12/29/15
On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 06:59:14 -0000, Snidely <snide...@gmail.com> wrote:

[]

>> <http://phys.org/news/2015-12-el-nino-climate-extreme-weather.html>
>
> Has to be a strong El Nino; SoCal has actually gotten measurable rain
> this month. 1.08" so far (at LAX), with 44/100" coming in just one day!

It's got to be strong; it's affecting Northern England. Again.
http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/one-in-100-year-disaster-cumbria-flood-defences-topped-1.1231352
(plus lots of silly adverts e.g. for 12 ways to improve your credit score)

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug

Tim Wright

Dec 29, 2015, 4:10:29 PM12/29/15
> I've decided how I'm gonna leave No. Calif.—feet first, in a pine box.

Funny, that's the same way they'd get me to live there.

Bill Turlock

Dec 29, 2015, 7:20:03 PM12/29/15
On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 15:10:25 -0600, Tim Wright <tlwri...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> I've decided how I'm gonna leave No. Calif.庸eet first, in a pine box.
>Funny, that's the same way they'd get me to live there.

All's well in the universe, as it should be.

Charles Bishop

Dec 29, 2015, 9:26:28 PM12/29/15
In article <billvan-EAC64D...@shawnews.vc.shawcable.net>,
bill van <bil...@delete.shaw.ca> wrote:

> In article <HMidnbryDcLGnB_L...@supernews.com>,
> Tim Wright <tlwri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 12/28/2015 9:08 PM, John Mc. wrote:
> > > That's it. Seems like every time there's a huge storm dumping a
> > > Gazillion gallons of water on Texas you can't be happy with Mother
> > > Nature's Blessings. Oh no, you send it my way. My rain gauge goes
> > > up to 6". From Saturday morning to Sunday evening I got 4.3". I now
> > > have another 2.1". Enough is enough. I thought it was dry down
> > > there and you needed the rain. Seeesh!
> >
> > Normally we get about 32" of rain a year. This year we're over 60".
> > An embarrassment of riches, as it were. At least we kept the tornado
> > to ourselves this time.
> >
> > It's like an old farmer explained to me years ago, "Son, I've been
> > farming around here for 70 years. I figure I've spent 50 years
> > praying it would rain, and 20 years praying it would stop."
> >
> > You'll really love to hear we had snow flurries here this morning.
> >
> > I blame it on El Niño. I'd rather blame it on the Bossa Nova, but
> > there you are.
>
> Deadly extreme weather on at least five continents is driven in large
> part by a record-breaking El Nino, but climate change is a likely
> booster too, experts said Monday.

The expert (meteorologist) I heard said the "boost" might be a percent
or three, but nothing major.

> The 2015-16 El Nino, they added, is the strongest ever measured. "It is
> probably the most powerful in the last 100 years," said Jerome Lecou, a
> climate expert at the French weather service Meteo France, noting that
> accurate measurements have only existed since the mid-20th century.
>
> Flooding and mudslides unleashed by torrential rains have killed at
> least 10 people and driven more than 150,000 from their homes in
> Paraguay, Argentina and Uruguay in recent days.
>
> In central and southwestern United States‹where temperatures in Texas
> are forecast to drop from a balmy 28 degrees Celsius (82 degrees
> Fahrenheit) Saturday to zero (32 F) on Monday‹clashing weather fronts
> have given rise to snow-packed blizzards, freezing rain and a spate of
> tornadoes that have claimed at least 43 lives.
>
> Across the Pacific, meanwhile, wildfires in Australia fanned by high
> temperatures and super-dry conditions have engulfed more than 100 homes
> outside Melbourne, with hundreds more threatened.
>
> More here:
>
> <http://phys.org/news/2015-12-el-nino-climate-extreme-weather.html>

--
charles

Charles Bishop

Dec 29, 2015, 9:28:18 PM12/29/15
In article <mn.e5617dfcc9021fa8.127094@snitoo>,
Historical monthly average for December in the Valley is 2 76/100s
according to weather.com

--
charles

Alfalfa Bill

Dec 29, 2015, 9:38:30 PM12/29/15
On Monday, December 28, 2015 at 9:43:24 PM UTC-6, Tim Wright wrote:
> On 12/28/2015 9:08 PM, John Mc. wrote:
> > That's it. Seems like every time there's a huge storm dumping a
> > Gazillion gallons of water on Texas you can't be happy with Mother
> > Nature's Blessings. Oh no, you send it my way. My rain gauge goes up to
> > 6". From Saturday morning to Sunday evening I got 4.3". I now have
> > another 2.1". Enough is enough. I thought it was dry down there and you
> > needed the rain. Seeesh!
> >
> > John Mc.
>
> Normally we get about 32" of rain a year. This year we're over 60". An
> embarrassment of riches, as it were. At least we kept the tornado to
> ourselves this time.
>
> It's like an old farmer explained to me years ago, "Son, I've been
> farming around here for 70 years. I figure I've spent 50 years praying
> it would rain, and 20 years praying it would stop."
>
> You'll really love to hear we had snow flurries here this morning.
>
> I blame it on El Niño. I'd rather blame it on the Bossa Nova, but there
> you are.

You guys are whiners. In Oklahoma after the rain, floods, and snow stops we top it off with a spate of earth quakes.

Jeff Green

Dec 29, 2015, 9:48:24 PM12/29/15
You can stop the earthquakes.

Tim Wright

Dec 29, 2015, 9:53:16 PM12/29/15
Bill T will tell you that what you have aren't earthquakes, they're
simply ground farts.

Tim Wright

Dec 29, 2015, 9:54:21 PM12/29/15
Did you just tell him to go frack himself?

Alfalfa Bill

Dec 29, 2015, 10:16:41 PM12/29/15
Yes, we could stop the earthquakes, but that would interfere with our program to privatize business profit but socialize the costs.

Alfalfa Bill

Dec 29, 2015, 10:21:10 PM12/29/15
Today's ground fart knocked out power to 4,500 homes. We're due for another 5.5 and if the dominoes fall right it could be a 7 under Oklahoma City.

bill van

Dec 29, 2015, 10:26:31 PM12/29/15
In article <ctbishop-FDF696...@news.individual.net>,
The Guardian reports:

"But researchers at Oxford University and the Royal Netherlands
Meteorological Institute (KNMI) calculated earlier this month that
man-made climate change was partly responsible for Storm Desmond¹s
torrential rain, which devastated parts of Scotland, the Lake District
and Northern Ireland. The scientists ran tens of thousands of
simulations of the flooding event and found it 40% more likely with
climate change."

I was reading a recent New Yorker piece about rising water levels at
Miami, where flooding is now normal. Among other things, it talked about
how climate change science is new enough that there is a large range of
predictions with considerable variation in forecast severity for a given
situation. It said that the situation in question - rising sea levels -
was so far unfolding at the more severe end of the forecasts.

> > The 2015-16 El Nino, they added, is the strongest ever measured. "It is
> > probably the most powerful in the last 100 years," said Jerome Lecou, a
> > climate expert at the French weather service Meteo France, noting that
> > accurate measurements have only existed since the mid-20th century.
> >
> > Flooding and mudslides unleashed by torrential rains have killed at
> > least 10 people and driven more than 150,000 from their homes in
> > Paraguay, Argentina and Uruguay in recent days.
> >
> > In central and southwestern United States‹where temperatures in Texas
> > are forecast to drop from a balmy 28 degrees Celsius (82 degrees
> > Fahrenheit) Saturday to zero (32 F) on Monday‹clashing weather fronts
> > have given rise to snow-packed blizzards, freezing rain and a spate of
> > tornadoes that have claimed at least 43 lives.
> >
> > Across the Pacific, meanwhile, wildfires in Australia fanned by high
> > temperatures and super-dry conditions have engulfed more than 100 homes
> > outside Melbourne, with hundreds more threatened.
> >
> > More here:
> >
> > <http://phys.org/news/2015-12-el-nino-climate-extreme-weather.html>
--
bill

Bill Turlock

Dec 29, 2015, 10:34:12 PM12/29/15
On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 20:53:12 -0600, Tim Wright <tlwri...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>Bill T will tell you that what you have aren't earthquakes, they're
>simply ground farts.

Having participated in, and survived the '89 Loma Prieta quake, and
the '07 5.6 Alum Rock quake, I do have opinions, but I'm harley a
nexpurt.

I do know that I quite prefer earthquake weather rather than ice,
snow, floods and tornadoes. Had lotsa experience with all of that,
having lived in central Wisc., and Omaha in my earlier life.

The '91 Oakland urban wildfire was very disturbing. I did not know it
at the time, but it materially affected the ptsd. I don't like
watching fires knowing people are dying in there.

Bill Turlock

Dec 29, 2015, 10:35:53 PM12/29/15
On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 19:21:09 -0800 (PST), Alfalfa Bill
<tedth...@aol.com> wrote:

>Today's ground fart knocked out power to 4,500 homes. We're due for another 5.5 and if the dominoes fall right it could be a 7 under Oklahoma City.

Ouch!

Bill Turlock

Dec 29, 2015, 10:42:56 PM12/29/15
LA just had a little spate of > 2.5s centered around the 5:00 PM
hour. 2.9 to 4.3, in the eastern 'burbs, near San B'do

Jeff Green

Dec 30, 2015, 7:08:46 AM12/30/15
Not him, the Governor.

Snidely

Dec 31, 2015, 2:50:59 AM12/31/15
Remember when bill van bragged outrageously? That was Tuesday:
One of the predictions of climate change is increase in the number of
severe weather events until the Earth reaches its new equilibrium.

In some areas, this will have more impact than the actual temperature
rise.

> I was reading a recent New Yorker piece about rising water levels at
> Miami, where flooding is now normal. Among other things, it talked about
> how climate change science is new enough that there is a large range of
> predictions with considerable variation in forecast severity for a given
> situation. It said that the situation in question - rising sea levels -
> was so far unfolding at the more severe end of the forecasts.

Including faster melts in Greenland.

/dps

--
Killing a mouse was hardly a Nobel Prize-worthy exercise, and Lawrence
went apopleptic when he learned a lousy rodent had peed away all his

Snidely

Dec 31, 2015, 2:51:36 AM12/31/15
On Tuesday, John Mc. queried:
Bank it.

/dps

--
"I am not given to exaggeration, and when I say a thing I mean it"
_Roughing It_, Mark Twain

Snidely

Dec 31, 2015, 2:53:37 AM12/31/15
Bill Turlock submitted this gripping article, maybe on Tuesday:
We did? Hmmm.

/dps

--
"What do you think of my cart, Miss Morland? A neat one, is not it?
Well hung: curricle-hung in fact. Come sit by me and we'll test the

Bill Turlock

Dec 31, 2015, 2:56:06 AM12/31/15
On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 23:53:29 -0800, Snidely <snide...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> LA just had a little spate of > 2.5s centered around the 5:00 PM
>> hour. 2.9 to 4.3, in the eastern 'burbs, near San B'do

>We did? Hmmm.

I got the USGS to send me alerts for anything > 2.5, Calif-ish. I can
show you the emails if you like...

Snidely

Dec 31, 2015, 3:14:18 AM12/31/15
Remember when Bill Turlock bragged outrageously? That was Wednesday:
<URL:http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/>

is good enough for me. If I didn't feel it, and it isn't making
headlines, I can find out at leisure.

Snidely

Dec 31, 2015, 3:17:38 AM12/31/15
Lo, on the 12/31/2015, Snidely did proclaim ...
> Remember when Bill Turlock bragged outrageously? That was Wednesday:
>>
>>> We did? Hmmm.
>>
>> I got the USGS to send me alerts for anything > 2.5, Calif-ish. I can
>> show you the emails if you like...
>
> <URL:http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/>
>
> is good enough for me. If I didn't feel it, and it isn't making headlines, I
> can find out at leisure.

Today, 27 world-wide, 2 in SoCal ... Devore (the I-5 route into SoCal)
and just offshore at Palos Verdes.

/dps "just checked"

--
Maybe C282Y is simply one of the hangers-on, a groupie following a
future guitar god of the human genome: an allele with undiscovered

Bill Turlock

Dec 31, 2015, 4:08:58 AM12/31/15
On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 00:17:31 -0800, Snidely <snide...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Lo, on the 12/31/2015, Snidely did proclaim ...
>> Remember when Bill Turlock bragged outrageously? That was Wednesday:

>>> I got the USGS to send me alerts for anything > 2.5, Calif-ish. I can
>>> show you the emails if you like...
>>
>> <URL:http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/>
>>
>> is good enough for me. If I didn't feel it, and it isn't making headlines, I
>> can find out at leisure.
>
>Today, 27 world-wide, 2 in SoCal ... Devore (the I-5 route into SoCal)
>and just offshore at Palos Verdes.
>
>/dps "just checked"

== PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE REPORT ==
Region: GREATER LOS ANGELES AREA, CALIFORNIA
Geographic coordinates: 34.191N, 117.411W
Magnitude: 4.3
Depth: 5 km
Universal Time (UTC): 30 Dec 2015 01:48:57
Time near the Epicenter: 29 Dec 2015 17:48:57
Local standard time in your area: 29 Dec 2015 17:48:57

Location with respect to nearby cities:
7 km (4 mi) WNW of Muscoy, California
10 km (6 mi) NNW of Rialto, California
11 km (6 mi) NNE of Fontana, California
12 km (7 mi) WSW of Crestline, California
500 km (310 mi) W of Phoenix, Arizona

ADDITIONAL EARTHQUAKE PARAMETERS
________________________________
event ID : ci 37507576

Snidely

Dec 31, 2015, 4:30:01 AM12/31/15
On Thursday or thereabouts, Bill Turlock declared ...
Didn't feel it (I was at the office, FWIW). Missed it being mentioned
in the news. I may check the LA Times or the OC Register to see how
people reacted.

Meanwhile,
<URL:http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/ci37507576#impact_dyfi>
shows that I was in an area that DNFI, although there seem to be some
reports from Not Far Away. Most of the reports are from Riverside
County.

(I was once about a mile away from an epicenter for ... um, 3.5? I
think it was about that. I thought the contractors' crane had dropped
an A/C unit they were installing on the roof.)

/dps

--
"This is all very fine, but let us not be carried away be excitement,
but ask calmly, how does this person feel about in in his cooler