Let Me Put This Way...Kerry Question:

PAVELB1

Jul 28, 2004, 10:05:23 PM7/28/04

If Kerry is elected President...will he be the first CIC who is
definitly known to have KILLED a man with a rifle, a sword, or his
bare hands?

Mike Looney

Jul 28, 2004, 10:02:35 PM7/28/04

No. Of the top of my head, Lincon, Grant, Bush the Elder and Truman.
Plus, I suspect Washington.

--
Silliness is the last refuge of the doomed. P. Opus
GAT d-- s:- a44 UL+++$ P++$ L+++$ E- W+++$ N++ K++ w---(++)$ O- M- V-- PS+

PAVELB1

Jul 28, 2004, 10:15:04 PM7/28/04
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 02:02:35 GMT, Mike Looney <mlo...@cox.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:05:23 -0500, PAVELB1 <pav...@cox.net> wrote:
>>

>> If Kerry is elected President...will he be the first CIC who is
>> definitly known to have KILLED a man with a rifle, a sword, or his
>> bare hands?
>>

>No. Of the top of my head, Lincon, Grant, Bush the Elder and Truman.
>Plus, I suspect Washington.

Definitively? I have a hard time seeing Grant as a General engaging in
hand-to-hand combat.

Mike Looney

Jul 28, 2004, 10:08:00 PM7/28/04

He wasn't a general in the Mexican American wars, nor the various
Indian wars the US fought in pre 1861.

Russell Stewart

Jul 28, 2004, 10:37:56 PM7/28/04
Mike Looney wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:05:23 -0500, PAVELB1 <pav...@cox.net> wrote:
>

>>If Kerry is elected President...will he be the first CIC who is
>>definitly known to have KILLED a man with a rifle, a sword, or his
>>bare hands?
>>

> No. Of the top of my head, Lincon, Grant, Bush the Elder and Truman.
> Plus, I suspect Washington.

What about Teddy Roosevelt?

--
Russell Stewart | E-Mail: dia...@swcp.com
UNM CS Department | WWW: http://www.swcp.com/~diamond

"Democrats: Always ready to stand up for what they
later realize they should have believed in."
-Jon Stewart,
"The Daily Show"

Dilbert Firestorm

Jul 28, 2004, 10:10:27 PM7/28/04
Russell Stewart wrote:

> Mike Looney wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:05:23 -0500, PAVELB1 <pav...@cox.net> wrote:
>>

>>> If Kerry is elected President...will he be the first CIC who is
>>> definitly known to have KILLED a man with a rifle, a sword, or his
>>> bare hands?
>>>

>> No. Of the top of my head, Lincon, Grant, Bush the Elder and Truman.
>> Plus, I suspect Washington.
>

> What about Teddy Roosevelt?

oh yeah.. lets not forget about him..... he led the charge on that hill
in cuba...... gutsy guy that he was in his day. prolly stupid too. ;)

Dilbert Firestorm

Jul 28, 2004, 10:13:54 PM7/28/04
Mike Looney wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:05:23 -0500, PAVELB1 <pav...@cox.net> wrote:
>

>>If Kerry is elected President...will he be the first CIC who is
>>definitly known to have KILLED a man with a rifle, a sword, or his
>>bare hands?
>>

>No. Of the top of my head, Lincon, Grant, Bush the Elder and Truman.
>Plus, I suspect Washington.

I don't recall Lincoln ever having served in the military nor killed a man.

you forgot about Eisenhower

why do you suspect washington???? of course he did, but when he was
under his majesty's service

Tedthecat85

Jul 28, 2004, 11:16:15 PM7/28/04
>Russell Stewart wrote:
>
>Mike Looney wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:05:23 -0500, PAVELB1 <pav...@cox.net> wrote:
>>

>>>If Kerry is elected President...will he be the first CIC who is
>>>definitly known to have KILLED a man with a rifle, a sword, or his
>>>bare hands?
>>>

>> No. Of the top of my head, Lincon, Grant, Bush the Elder and Truman.
>> Plus, I suspect Washington.
>
>What about Teddy Roosevelt?

IIRC, TR's combat experience lasted about 45 minutes, and presumably he spent
most of that time commanding troups rather than firing his rifle.

Tedthecat85

Jul 28, 2004, 11:22:48 PM7/28/04
>Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
>
>Mike Looney wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:05:23 -0500, PAVELB1 <pav...@cox.net> wrote:
>>

>>>If Kerry is elected President...will he be the first CIC who is
>>>definitly known to have KILLED a man with a rifle, a sword, or his
>>>bare hands?
>>>

>>No. Of the top of my head, Lincon, Grant, Bush the Elder and Truman.
>>Plus, I suspect Washington.
>>

>I don't recall Lincoln ever having served in the military nor killed a man.
>
>you forgot about Eisenhower

IIRC, Eisenhower never was in combat. I believe that he trained troups during
WWI.
He certainly was brave and aggressive, and I seemed to recall that he was
disappointed about never making it into combat.

Kim

Jul 29, 2004, 12:18:56 AM7/29/04
Tedthecat85 wrote:

> IIRC, TR's combat experience lasted about 45 minutes, and presumably
> he spent most of that time commanding troups rather than firing his
> rifle.

Hid rifle? I thought he carried a big stick.

--
Kim

*A new study claims women watching erotic films are stimulated in parts of
the brain that drive emotion and planning. Probably their brains are seeing
the film and thinking, "Time to start planning to be pissed off later
tonight." (The Covert Comic)*

Mark Steese

Jul 29, 2004, 1:05:59 AM7/29/04
tedth...@aol.com (Tedthecat85) wrote in

>>> No. Of the top of my head, Lincon, Grant, Bush the Elder and
>>> Truman. Plus, I suspect Washington.
>>
>>What about Teddy Roosevelt?
>
> IIRC, TR's combat experience lasted about 45 minutes, and presumably
> he spent most of that time commanding troups rather than firing his
> rifle.

He was carrying a pistol rather than a rifle, but he did get a chance to
use it: "As he reached the crest of Kettle Hill, Teddy saw its defenders
fleeing before him. He fired at one of them, and later remarked that the
man fell 'as neatly as a jackrabbit.'"

See http://www.smplanet.com/imperialism/splendid.html

TR may not have been the first president who had killed a man in combat,
but I'd be willing to be he was the only one who ever likened the
experience to hunting rabbits.
--
Mark Steese
unscramble and underscore to email

Blinky the Shark

Jul 29, 2004, 1:42:55 AM7/29/04
PAVELB1 wrote:

Why wouldn't a musket count? A handgun? A pike? A brick? A really
bad pun?

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

An Important Health Reminder http://snipurl.com/healthyshark

Blinky the Shark

Jul 29, 2004, 1:47:26 AM7/29/04
Dilbert Firestorm wrote:

> Mike Looney wrote:

>>On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:05:23 -0500, PAVELB1 <pav...@cox.net> wrote:

>>>If Kerry is elected President...will he be the first CIC who is
>>>definitly known to have KILLED a man with a rifle, a sword, or his
>>>bare hands?

>>No. Of the top of my head, Lincon, Grant, Bush the Elder and Truman.
>>Plus, I suspect Washington.

> I don't recall Lincoln ever having served in the military nor killed a man.

1. Reread the question: it's not limited to military action.

2. Lincoln was a volunteer in a skirmish called the Black Hawk War, when he
was a young man.

3. He apparently didn't kill anyone during that action, but *that's* why he's
not on the list -- not because he wasn't formally in the military.

> you forgot about Eisenhower

> why do you suspect washington???? of course he did, but when he was
> under his majesty's service

*I* suspect Washington. I suspect him of chopping down that cherry
tree.

Blinky the Shark

Jul 29, 2004, 1:53:12 AM7/29/04
Tedthecat85 wrote:

> IIRC, Eisenhower never was in combat. I believe that he trained troups during
> WWI.
> He certainly was brave and aggressive, and I seemed to recall that he was
> disappointed about never making it into combat.

Nice concise list of posts/assignments here, for anyone interested:

http://www.ibiblio.org/lia/president/EisenhowerLibrary/_General_Materials/DDE_Biography.html

= http://tinyurl.com/6bcro

Anthony Myers usenet personality

Jul 29, 2004, 2:43:20 AM7/29/04

>> I don't recall Lincoln ever having served in the military nor killed a man.

If you did recall that you'd have to be pretty damn old

Thank you for not sodomizing me.

Anthony Myers usenet personality

Jul 29, 2004, 2:45:58 AM7/29/04

>> If Kerry is elected President...will he be the first CIC who is
>> definitly known to have KILLED a man

would the JFK-Marylin Monroe thing count?

Blinky the Shark

Jul 29, 2004, 2:30:29 AM7/29/04
Mark Steese wrote:

> TR may not have been the first president who had killed a man in combat,
> but I'd be willing to be he was the only one who ever likened the
> experience to hunting rabbits.

It is from such an encounter with an angry foe that we got the expression,
"in the cross hares".

Crashj

Jul 29, 2004, 7:46:46 AM7/29/04
PAVELB1 <pav...@cox.net> wrote in message news:<gkmgg0t201rc59aga...@4ax.com>...

> If Kerry is elected President...will he be the first CIC who is
> definitly known to have KILLED a man with a rifle, a sword, or his
> bare hands?

No. But we may have the first African-American First Lady who tells a
reporter to go fuck himself.
--
Crashj

E Brown

Jul 29, 2004, 9:18:23 AM7/29/04
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 02:02:35 GMT, Mike Looney <mlo...@cox.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:05:23 -0500, PAVELB1 <pav...@cox.net> wrote:
>>

>> If Kerry is elected President...will he be the first CIC who is
>> definitly known to have KILLED a man with a rifle, a sword, or his
>> bare hands?
>>

>No. Of the top of my head, Lincon, Grant, Bush the Elder and Truman.
>Plus, I suspect Washington.

Wouldn't some have also taken some guys out just dueling, which
happened back in the day?
Emanuel

David K. Wall

Jul 29, 2004, 9:46:13 AM7/29/04
Blinky the Shark <no....@box.invalid> wrote in message

> Mark Steese wrote:
>
>> TR may not have been the first president who had killed a man in
>> combat, but I'd be willing to be he was the only one who ever
>> likened the experience to hunting rabbits.
>
> It is from such an encounter with an angry foe that we got the
> expression, "in the cross hares".

Puns like that tend to make people hopping mad.

Hank Gillette

Jul 29, 2004, 9:58:18 AM7/29/04
In article <97uhg0165jaa2c21s...@4ax.com>,
E Brown <epbr...@att.net> wrote:

> Wouldn't some have also taken some guys out just dueling, which
> happened back in the day?

Andrew Jackson was reportedly involved in several duels and killed at
least one man in one.

From <http://odur.let.rug.nl/~usa/P/aj7/about/bio/duel.htm>

"In 1805 a friend of Jackson's deprecated the manner in which Captain
Joseph Ervin had handled a bet with Jackson over a horse race. Ervin's
son-in-law, Charles Dickinson became enraged and started quarreling
with Jackson's friend which lead to Jackson becoming involved.
Dickinson wrote to Jackson calling him a 'coward and an equivicator'.
The affair continued, with more insults and misunderstandings, until
Dickinson published a statement in the Nashville Review in May 1806,
calling Jackson a 'worthless scoundrel, ... a poltroon and a coward'.

Jackson challenged Dickinson to a duel very much according to the
customs of the time in the south. Dickinson, known as one of the best
shots in Tennessee if not the best, had choice of weapons and chose
pistols.

Dickinson fired the first shot, which broke two of Jackson's ribs and
lodged two inches from his heart. Dickinson then had to stand at the
fatally."

--
Hank Gillette

M C Hamster

Jul 29, 2004, 10:43:12 AM7/29/04
"Anthony Myers usenet personality" <anthony...@wmconnect.comhormel>
wrote in message news:20040729024558...@mb-m29.wmconnect.com...

> >> If Kerry is elected President...will he be the first CIC who is
> >> definitly known to have KILLED a man
>
> would the JFK-Marylin Monroe thing count?

Oh yeah, that's true, I forgot about that angle. There's Clinton and Vince
Foster.

M C Hamster "Big Wheel Keep on Turnin'" -- Creedence Clearwater Revival

Dave Wilton

Jul 29, 2004, 10:56:15 AM7/29/04
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 02:02:35 GMT, Mike Looney <mlo...@cox.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:05:23 -0500, PAVELB1 <pav...@cox.net> wrote:
>>

>> If Kerry is elected President...will he be the first CIC who is
>> definitly known to have KILLED a man with a rifle, a sword, or his
>> bare hands?
>>

>No. Of the top of my head, Lincon, Grant, Bush the Elder and Truman.
>Plus, I suspect Washington.

Lincoln may have in the Black Hawk war, but I doubt it. IIRC he didn't
actually see combat.

Washington may have in the French & Indian War. Similarly, Grant may
have in the Mexican-American War. Neither man did as commander of the
armies in their later wars.

Bush the Elder was never in close combat. He dropped bombs on people,
but it wasn't personal.

Truman certainly had the opportunity, but I don't know that he
actually fired a rifle in anger. He certainly killed people with his
artillery battery. But that's a bit impersonal.

Teddy Roosevelt did, or at least claimed to, in the Spanish-American
War.

Andrew Jackson certainly did.

There are a string of late-19th century presidents who were junior
officers in the Civil War. Some of them, at least, probably killed
somone.

--Dave Wilton
da...@wilton.net
http://www.wordorigins.org

PAVELB1

Jul 29, 2004, 11:55:56 AM7/29/04

>>No. Of the top of my head, Lincon, Grant, Bush the Elder and Truman.
>>Plus, I suspect Washington.
>
>Lincoln may have in the Black Hawk war, but I doubt it. IIRC he didn't
>actually see combat.
>
>Washington may have in the French & Indian War. Similarly, Grant may
>have in the Mexican-American War. Neither man did as commander of the
>armies in their later wars.
>
>Bush the Elder was never in close combat. He dropped bombs on people,
>but it wasn't personal.
>
>Truman certainly had the opportunity, but I don't know that he
>actually fired a rifle in anger. He certainly killed people with his
>artillery battery. But that's a bit impersonal.
>
>Teddy Roosevelt did, or at least claimed to, in the Spanish-American
>War.
>
>Andrew Jackson certainly did.
>
>There are a string of late-19th century presidents who were junior
>officers in the Civil War. Some of them, at least, probably killed
>somone.

You'd think somethink like that would be a matter of public record, or
in the public consciousness, but thus far it's just Jackson for sure.

Greg Goss

Jul 29, 2004, 12:01:40 PM7/29/04
Blinky the Shark <no....@box.invalid> wrote:

>Mark Steese wrote:
>
>> TR may not have been the first president who had killed a man in combat,
>> but I'd be willing to be he was the only one who ever likened the
>> experience to hunting rabbits.
>
>It is from such an encounter with an angry foe that we got the expression,
>"in the cross hares".

How many have seen the "angry bunny" bank card commercial? Would Ford
find "cross hare" jokes funny?
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27

Blinky the Shark

Jul 29, 2004, 1:37:36 PM7/29/04
PAVELB1 wrote:

>>Andrew Jackson certainly did.

I wouldn't think that, no.

Anyway, it's not something that can be determined, in a lot of cases.
What would you expect, say, an infantryman to do, bring back the body so
it can be tallied? Would you settle for ears? Scalps? Should he keep
an eye on that body to see if its own medics can save it? Follow it to
the enemy's rear, to the hospital, to see if it survives or ends up
being buried?

Paul Ciszek

Jul 29, 2004, 3:46:51 PM7/29/04

In article <aa83a82f.04072...@posting.google.com>,

WHy? DO you think Cheney is going to have a sex- and race-change
operation and marry Kerry?

Ms. Kerry told a reporter to shove it. Lots of women have said the
same thing under similar circumstances.

--
Please reply to: | "Mundus Vult Decipi"
pciszek at panix dot com | ("The world wants to be deceived")

David K. Wall

Jul 29, 2004, 4:57:57 PM7/29/04
Dave Wilton <da...@SPAMwilton.net> wrote in message

> Bush the Elder was never in close combat. He dropped bombs on
> people, but it wasn't personal.

Then there's Bush the Younger.

Hey, whataya gonna do, nice college boy, eh? Didn't want to get mixed
up in the Family business, huh? Now you wanna take over Saddam's
country. Why? Because your daddy didn't do it? Hah? What do you think
this is, the National Guard, where you just disappear and no-one
notices? You've gotta get up in front of everyone and tell them Saddam
has WMDs, bada-bing, and invade while everyone still think it has
something to do with 9/11.

You're taking this very personal, Georgie. This is business and this
man is taking it very personal.

[It's probably not necessary to say so in this group, but the above is
adapted from The Godfather. The phrase "wasn't personal" in the context
of killing people brought it to mind.]

Matt Ackeret

Jul 29, 2004, 4:58:29 PM7/29/04
In article <Xns9534E0CF...@216.168.3.44>,

Mark Steese <makes...@charter.net> wrote:
>TR may not have been the first president who had killed a man in combat,
>but I'd be willing to be he was the only one who ever likened the
>experience to hunting rabbits.

And the rabbits remembered the remark through many generations, and tried to
exact revenge on Carter.

Bob Ward

Jul 29, 2004, 7:59:43 PM7/29/04

Some bunny will think it's funny.

Bob Ward

Jul 29, 2004, 8:00:06 PM7/29/04
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:01:40 -0400, Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:

>Blinky the Shark <no....@box.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Mark Steese wrote:
>>
>>> TR may not have been the first president who had killed a man in combat,
>>> but I'd be willing to be he was the only one who ever likened the
>>> experience to hunting rabbits.
>>
>>It is from such an encounter with an angry foe that we got the expression,
>>"in the cross hares".
>
>How many have seen the "angry bunny" bank card commercial? Would Ford
>find "cross hare" jokes funny?

He might, but Jimmy Carter would not.

Joseph Michael Bay

Jul 29, 2004, 8:00:44 PM7/29/04
Bob Ward <bob...@email.com> writes:

>On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:46:13 -0000, "David K. Wall"
><dw...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>>Blinky the Shark <no....@box.invalid> wrote in message

>>> It is from such an encounter with an angry foe that we got the
>>> expression, "in the cross hares".
>>
>>Puns like that tend to make people hopping mad.

>Some bunny will think it's funny.

Probably not Carter.

--
Chimes peal joy. Bah. Joseph Michael Bay
Icy colon barge Cancer Biology

Tedthecat85

Jul 29, 2004, 8:20:13 PM7/29/04
>Mark Steese wrote:
>

>tedth...@aol.com (Tedthecat85) wrote in

>>>What about Teddy Roosevelt?
>>
>> IIRC, TR's combat experience lasted about 45 minutes, and presumably
>> he spent most of that time commanding troups rather than firing his
>> rifle.
>
>He was carrying a pistol rather than a rifle, but he did get a chance to
>use it: "As he reached the crest of Kettle Hill, Teddy saw its defenders
>fleeing before him. He fired at one of them, and later remarked that the
>man fell 'as neatly as a jackrabbit.'"
>
>See http://www.smplanet.com/imperialism/splendid.html
>
>TR may not have been the first president who had killed a man in combat,
>but I'd be willing to be he was the only one who ever likened the
>experience to hunting rabbits.

Thanks for the cite, Mark. Maybe TR did kill a man in combat. I would find
it consistent with TR's charactor for him to enjoy boasting about dropping an
enemy soldier in combat as if he had felled a rabbit.

Greg Goss

Jul 30, 2004, 12:50:06 AM7/30/04
Bob Ward <bob...@email.com> wrote:

sigh. Thanks for the correction.

Crashj

Jul 30, 2004, 9:20:44 AM7/30/04
nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) wrote in message news:<cebk7b$cdu$1...@reader2.panix.com>...

> In article <aa83a82f.04072...@posting.google.com>,
> Crashj <cra...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> >PAVELB1 <pav...@cox.net> wrote in message
> >> If Kerry is elected President...will he be the first CIC who is
> >> definitly known to have KILLED a man with a rifle, a sword, or his
> >> bare hands?
> >
> >No. But we may have the first African-American First Lady who tells a
> >reporter to go fuck himself.
>
> WHy? DO you think Cheney is going to have a sex- and race-change
> operation and marry Kerry?

Huh? Dick Cheney is not ever going to be an "African-American First
Lady"
WTF? Where does "race-change" come into this? She was born where she
was born. I dunno, I think your meds are failing you.
--
Crashj

Hank Gillette

Jul 30, 2004, 10:09:06 AM7/30/04
In article <aa83a82f.04073...@posting.google.com>,
cra...@mindspring.com (Crashj) wrote:

> > >No. But we may have the first African-American First Lady who tells a
> > >reporter to go fuck himself.
> >
> > WHy? DO you think Cheney is going to have a sex- and race-change
> > operation and marry Kerry?
>
> Huh? Dick Cheney is not ever going to be an "African-American First
> Lady"
> WTF? Where does "race-change" come into this? She was born where she
> was born. I dunno, I think your meds are failing you.

I think the point was that Mrs. Heinz Kerry has not come anywhere near
to telling a reporter to "go fuck himself".

--
Hank Gillette

Bermuda999

Jul 30, 2004, 10:24:21 AM7/30/04
cra...@mindspring.com (Crashj)

I'm pretty sure the previous poster was pointing out that it was Mr. Cheney,
not Ms. Kerry, who used the phrase"fuck yourself" recently in a publicized
encounter

Helge Moulding

Jul 30, 2004, 2:58:45 PM7/30/04
David K. Wall wrote,

> Hey, whataya gonna do, nice college boy, eh? Didn't want to get mixed
> up in the Family business, huh? Now you wanna take over Saddam's
> country. Why? Because your daddy didn't do it? Hah? What do you think
> this is, the National Guard, where you just disappear and no-one
> notices? You've gotta get up in front of everyone and tell them Saddam
> has WMDs, bada-bing, and invade while everyone still think it has
> something to do with 9/11.
>
> You're taking this very personal, Georgie. This is business and this
> man is taking it very personal.
>
> [It's probably not necessary to say so in this group, but the above is
> adapted from The Godfather. The phrase "wasn't personal" in the context
> of killing people brought it to mind.]

I don't remember that. I don't remember bada-bing from the Godfather,
for one thing. What scene is that from?
--
Helge Moulding
mailto:hmou...@excite.com Just another guy

Helge Moulding

Jul 30, 2004, 3:09:57 PM7/30/04
Paul Ciszek wrote,

> Ms. Kerry told a reporter to shove it. Lots of women have said the
> same thing under similar circumstances.

Lots? Similar? I wonder how frequently that comes up.

I don't know how I'd have handled the situation. I think it could have
been handled better. I'm not sure why it's an issue. It's not an issue
in my book for one thing because Teresa Kerry ain't runnin' for
president. If she were I'd have wanted here to either handle it better,
or at least pull no punches with the expletives. ;-) Also I think that
telling a reporter to shove it is fairly mild. Compared to other
expletives it's been compared to, certainly. Practically not worth
commenting on, except that people seem to want to comment on it.

Helge Moulding

Jul 30, 2004, 3:45:06 PM7/30/04
Paul Ciszek wrote,

> > No. But we may have the first African-American First Lady who tells a
> > reporter to go fuck himself.
> WHy? DO you think Cheney is going to have a sex- and race-change
> operation and marry Kerry?

THK apparently has referred to herself as African American in the past,
due to having grown up in Mozambique. I don't know if she intended to be
taken seriously when she did that, or if she thought she was making some
kind of point. If you wanted to be precise, she'd be Portugese-American.

David K. Wall

Jul 30, 2004, 4:42:52 PM7/30/04
Helge Moulding <hmou...@excite.com> wrote in message

> David K. Wall wrote,
>> Hey, whataya gonna do, nice college boy, eh? Didn't want to get
>> mixed up in the Family business, huh? Now you wanna take over
>> Saddam's country. Why? Because your daddy didn't do it? Hah? What
>> do you think this is, the National Guard, where you just
>> disappear and no-one notices? You've gotta get up in front of
>> everyone and tell them Saddam has WMDs, bada-bing, and invade
>> while everyone still think it has something to do with 9/11.
>>
>> You're taking this very personal, Georgie. This is business and
>> this man is taking it very personal.
>>
>> [It's probably not necessary to say so in this group, but the
>> above is adapted from The Godfather. The phrase "wasn't personal"
>> in the context of killing people brought it to mind.]
>
> I don't remember that. I don't remember bada-bing from the
> Godfather, for one thing. What scene is that from?

It's after Don Carleone has been shot and the policeman, Captain
McCluskey, has puched Michael in the face at the hospital. Santino,
Michael, Tom Hagen, Clemenza, and I think Tessio are talking,
wondering what to do about Sollozzo (aka the Turk). Sollozzo wants to
meet Michael to negotiate, and he's being protected by Captain
McCluskey. Michael says he'll kill both Solozzo and McCluskey if
someone can find out where the meeting will be and hide a weapon for
him there. They all laugh (except Tom, I think) and then Santino
teases Michael.

You can find the quote I mangled at
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068646/quotes about halfway down the
page.

I just watched it again this past weekend, so it's still pretty fresh
in my mind.

Joseph Michael Bay

Jul 30, 2004, 5:14:19 PM7/30/04
Hank Gillette <hankgi...@yahoo.com> writes:

Also, if Colin McNickle is a reporter, I'm Marie of Romania.

Blinky the Shark

Jul 30, 2004, 4:53:34 PM7/30/04
Helge Moulding wrote:
> Paul Ciszek wrote,
>> > No. But we may have the first African-American First Lady who tells
>> > a reporter to go fuck himself.
>> WHy? DO you think Cheney is going to have a sex- and race-change
>> operation and marry Kerry?

> THK apparently has referred to herself as African American in the
> past, due to having grown up in Mozambique. I don't know if she
> intended to be taken seriously when she did that, or if she thought
> she was making some kind of point. If you wanted to be precise, she'd
> be Portugese-American.

If you really want to be precise, she'd be Portuguese-American.

I'm happy with African-American.

Or maybe Mozambeeker-Yank. :)

David K. Wall

Jul 30, 2004, 6:41:39 PM7/30/04
Blinky the Shark <no....@box.invalid> wrote:

> PAVELB1 wrote:
>
>> If Kerry is elected President...will he be the first CIC who is
>> definitly known to have KILLED a man with a rifle, a sword, or his
>> bare hands?
>

> Why wouldn't a musket count? A handgun? A pike? A brick? A really
> bad pun?

How about rephrasing it to something like "up close and personal"? Or at
least SEE the person being killed. Being a bomber pilot or artillery officer
probably wouldn't count.

Being killed by "a really bad pun" reminds me: I once read of a painter in (I
think) ancient Greece who painted a picture of an ugly old woman and then
laughed at it so hard that he burst a blood vessel and died.

--
David "death by a thousand spams" Wall

Rich Clancey

Jul 30, 2004, 6:51:20 PM7/30/04
Tedthecat85 done wrote:

>IIRC, TR's combat experience lasted about 45 minutes, and presumably he spent
>most of that time commanding troups rather than firing his rifle.

He spent most of the 45 minutes posing for photographs, and I
doubt that any of "his" troups took him very seriously.

At any rate, after Bush Jr I think we ought to make it a
policy that no president who hasn't seen combat himself should be
permitted to begin a war.

--
rich clancey
The troublesome ones in a family are usually either

Joe Shimkus

Jul 30, 2004, 7:23:55 PM7/30/04
In article <ceejd8$cku$4...@pcls4.std.com>,
Rich Clancey <r...@shell01.TheWorld.com> wrote:

> At any rate, after Bush Jr I think we ought to make it a
> policy that no president who hasn't seen combat himself should be
> permitted to begin a war.

Not that it's very likely but what if the troops don't get deployed for
the hundred years?

--
PGP Key (DH/DSS): http://www.shimkus.com/public_key.asc
PGP Fingerprint: 89B4 52DA CF10 EE03 02AD 9134 21C6 2A68 CE52 EE1A

Windows has always aspired to be Mac-like without Microsoft ever really
understanding what that even means. - Robert Cringely

ctc...@hotmail.com

Jul 30, 2004, 7:32:17 PM7/30/04
Joe Shimkus <j...@shimkus.com> wrote:
> In article <ceejd8$cku$4...@pcls4.std.com>,
> Rich Clancey <r...@shell01.TheWorld.com> wrote:
>
> > At any rate, after Bush Jr I think we ought to make it a
> > policy that no president who hasn't seen combat himself should be
> > permitted to begin a war.
>
> Not that it's very likely but what if the troops don't get deployed for
> the hundred years?

Then we'd have to wait for Congress to begin a war.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

Joe Shimkus

Jul 30, 2004, 7:45:28 PM7/30/04
In article <20040730193217.316$S...@newsreader.com>, ctc...@hotmail.com
wrote:

> Joe Shimkus <j...@shimkus.com> wrote:
> > In article <ceejd8$cku$4...@pcls4.std.com>,
> > Rich Clancey <r...@shell01.TheWorld.com> wrote:
> >
> > > At any rate, after Bush Jr I think we ought to make it a
> > > policy that no president who hasn't seen combat himself should be
> > > permitted to begin a war.
> >
> > Not that it's very likely but what if the troops don't get deployed for
> > the hundred years?
>
> Then we'd have to wait for Congress to begin a war.

Whoops! I read that Rich's post as requiring combat experience to
qualify for President. My mistake.

Joseph Michael Bay

Jul 30, 2004, 8:16:19 PM7/30/04
Joe Shimkus <j...@shimkus.com> writes:

> t>PHZBF&{/ZJ2(6nUy]'Z

>In article <ceejd8$cku$4...@pcls4.std.com>,
> Rich Clancey <r...@shell01.TheWorld.com> wrote:

>> At any rate, after Bush Jr I think we ought to make it a
>> policy that no president who hasn't seen combat himself should be
>> permitted to begin a war.

>Not that it's very likely but what if the troops don't get deployed for
>the hundred years?

Then Congress has to begin wars, if any are needed. That'd work, probably.

Blinky the Shark

Jul 30, 2004, 8:29:55 PM7/30/04
David K. Wall wrote:
> Blinky the Shark <no....@box.invalid> wrote:

>> PAVELB1 wrote:

>>> If Kerry is elected President...will he be the first CIC who is
>>> definitly known to have KILLED a man with a rifle, a sword, or his
>>> bare hands?

>> Why wouldn't a musket count? A handgun? A pike? A brick? A really
>> bad pun?

> How about rephrasing it to something like "up close and personal"? Or
> at least SEE the person being killed. Being a bomber pilot or
> artillery officer probably wouldn't count.

I think that's what was intended by the original question, yeah, despite
OP's not being able to to any better than he did at making a
comprehensive list of qualifying methods. (The second original
question, I mean -- the actual original question was about murder.)

> Being killed by "a really bad pun" reminds me: I once read of a
> painter in (I think) ancient Greece who painted a picture of an ugly
> old woman and then laughed at it so hard that he burst a blood vessel
> and died.

The ancient Greeks were seriously rich in myth. i had more than one
class that involved the mythology, but I'm coming up blank on who that
would've been.

Blinky the Shark

Jul 30, 2004, 8:37:51 PM7/30/04
Rich Clancey wrote:

>At any rate, after Bush Jr I think we ought to make it a policy that no
>president who hasn't seen combat himself should be permitted to begin a
>war.

Then we should make it a policy that no president who's never been on
Medicare should be permitted to sign Medicare legislation; and no
president who's never been in space should be permitted to sign
legislation relating to NASA or other space exploration entities; and no
president who's never received any Federal disaster relief funds should
permitted to sign any kind of disaster relief legislation; and so on.

artyw

Jul 30, 2004, 9:35:37 PM7/30/04
hmou...@excite.com (Helge Moulding) wrote in message news:<480345e.04073...@posting.google.com>...

> David K. Wall wrote,
> > Hey, whataya gonna do, nice college boy, eh? Didn't want to get mixed
> > up in the Family business, huh? Now you wanna take over Saddam's
> > country. Why? Because your daddy didn't do it? Hah? What do you think
> > this is, the National Guard, where you just disappear and no-one
> > notices? You've gotta get up in front of everyone and tell them Saddam
> > has WMDs, bada-bing, and invade while everyone still think it has
> > something to do with 9/11.
> >
> > You're taking this very personal, Georgie. This is business and this
> > man is taking it very personal.
> >
> > [It's probably not necessary to say so in this group, but the above is
> > adapted from The Godfather. The phrase "wasn't personal" in the context
> > of killing people brought it to mind.]
>
> I don't remember that. I don't remember bada-bing from the Godfather,
> for one thing. What scene is that from?

It's right before the scene which has the quote "I dont want to come
out of the toilet with just my Bush in my hands."

Greg Goss

Jul 30, 2004, 9:37:14 PM7/30/04
Joe Shimkus <j...@shimkus.com> wrote:

>In article <ceejd8$cku$4...@pcls4.std.com>,
> Rich Clancey <r...@shell01.TheWorld.com> wrote:
>
>> At any rate, after Bush Jr I think we ought to make it a
>> policy that no president who hasn't seen combat himself should be
>> permitted to begin a war.
>
>Not that it's very likely but what if the troops don't get deployed for
>the hundred years?

Well then, you need to start with a few undeclared wars like Vietnam
first.

kay w

Jul 30, 2004, 11:27:31 PM7/30/04
Previously,

artyw:

>It's right before the scene which has the quote "I dont want to come
>out of the toilet with just my Bush in my hands."

I believe it was Sonny talking to Clemenza about Michael's plan, something like
"I don't want my brother coming out of the toilet with just his dick in his
hands."

--
The government of England was a limited mockery. Henry VIII found walking
difficult because he had an abbess on his knee. Queen Elizabeth exposed herself

huey.c...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2004, 1:42:56 AM7/31/04
Blinky the Shark <no....@box.invalid> wrote:
> Rich Clancey wrote:
> > At any rate, after Bush Jr I think we ought to make it a policy that
> > no president who hasn't seen combat himself should be permitted to
> > begin a war.
> Then we should make it a policy that no president who's never been on
> Medicare should be permitted to sign Medicare legislation; and no
> president who's never been in space should be permitted to sign
> legislation relating to NASA or other space exploration entities; and no
> president who's never received any Federal disaster relief funds should
> permitted to sign any kind of disaster relief legislation; and so on.

Dumbest thing I heard this week: while taking a smoke break at work,
overheard someone say "What do we need Congress for? Why can't we all
just vote on all of this stuff?"

I resisted my first impulse, which was to shout "Please don't vote,
instead, please throw yourself under the next passing bus".

Then I went back upstairs and googled up the total number of bills
introduced in the house and senate last year, divided by 365, divided
by 8, and came up with something less than an hour to read and make a
decision on each, assuming an 8 hour day every day all year with no
time off. This'd be on top of your regular job, of course, because we
need a strong economy, and ya gotta eat.

Next time I see this woman, I'm gonna ask her if she's ever read even
_one_ piece of proposed legislation, and when she says 'no', I'm gonna
suggest that she read the Medicare bill, because I heard her mention
that one specifically. And just keep track of how long it takes to
_read_ the damned thing.

The Bonus Round Question, after she's read it, will be "What's wrong
with this bill, and how would you fix it?"

--
Huey

Blinky the Shark

Jul 31, 2004, 2:25:52 AM7/31/04
huey.c...@gmail.com wrote:

> Dumbest thing I heard this week: while taking a smoke break at work,
> overheard someone say "What do we need Congress for? Why can't we all
> just vote on all of this stuff?"

> I resisted my first impulse, which was to shout "Please don't vote,
> instead, please throw yourself under the next passing bus".

> Then I went back upstairs and googled up the total number of bills
> introduced in the house and senate last year, divided by 365, divided
> by 8, and came up with something less than an hour to read and make a
> decision on each, assuming an 8 hour day every day all year with no
> time off. This'd be on top of your regular job, of course, because we
> need a strong economy, and ya gotta eat.

If we didn't have Congress (her suggestion) to write them (not something
she considered), the number of bills that needed to be voted on would be
pretty small.

In my Idealistic Days, I felt that when we file our income taxes
(personal, not corporate), we should have provided a list of general
directions in which our payment should be spent (with a parallel process
for state and local income taxes). I simplify:

National Defense [ ]%
Environmental Protection [ ]%
Transportation [ ]%
Research funding [ ]%
Free Beer [ ]%
---------------------------------
Total must equal --> 100 %

These all would be averaged after April 15 (tough titty if you have an
oddball tax year, or if you file late), and the composite profile would
be applied to *all* tax revenues.

It's embarrassing how long I thought this would be a good idea, before
I looked around at the Actual Other People who would be doing this[1],
and became content just to have Washington wrestle this all to the
ground on my behalf.

[1]Or trying to make a column of numbers total 100 in vain.

Crashj

Jul 31, 2004, 3:01:05 AM7/31/04

> huey.c...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Dumbest thing I heard this week: while taking a smoke break at work,
> > overheard someone say "What do we need Congress for? Why can't we all
> > just vote on all of this stuff?"
<>
> In my Idealistic Days, I felt that when we file our income taxes
> (personal, not corporate), we should have provided a list of general
> directions in which our payment should be spent (with a parallel process
> for state and local income taxes). I simplify:
<I Really really simplify>

> ---------------------------------
> Total must equal --> 100 %
<>
We could of course do all this electronically. Errm, wait a minute, seems
like that does not work so well. Those in charge could just tell us how it
came out and we would have no way to check it.
Or the computers could pick one person who is the essence of us all and let
that one person do all the voting. Mr. Joe Average Citizen. Much more
efficient that having 50MM or so voters.
--
Crashj

Blinky the Shark

Jul 31, 2004, 3:17:43 AM7/31/04
Crashj wrote:

> "Blinky the Shark" <no....@box.invalid> wrote in message

>> In my Idealistic Days, I felt that when we file our income taxes

>> (personal, not corporate), we should have provided a list of general
>> directions in which our payment should be spent (with a parallel
>> process for state and local income taxes). I simplify:

><I Really really simplify>

>> --------------------------------- Total must equal --> 100 %

> We could of course do all this electronically. Errm, wait a minute,
> seems

Bear in mind that I withdrew that idea years ago. If you get that big
grant to study it, it's all yours. :)

> Or the computers could pick one person who is the essence of us all
> and let that one person do all the voting. Mr. Joe Average Citizen.
> Much more efficient that having 50MM or so voters.

I'm not concvinced that it would be more efficient -- the computer would
have to crunch a lot of data on those same 50 million (or millimeters,
if you're really Opus posting as Crashj <g>) people, to come up with
MJAC.

Then, he could get all tanked up before voting and put all 100% into the
Free Beer option.

It would be a lot safer, seriously, to average the 50 million returns
than to try and find MJAC.

Joe Shimkus

Jul 31, 2004, 9:56:22 AM7/31/04
In article <slrncgmhsm....@thurston.blinkynet.net>,
Blinky the Shark <no....@box.invalid> wrote:

> Crashj wrote:

> > Much more efficient that having 50MM or so voters.
>
> I'm not concvinced that it would be more efficient -- the computer would
> have to crunch a lot of data on those same 50 million (or millimeters,
> if you're really Opus posting as Crashj <g>)

sub-base units are not capitalized.

Jerry Bauer

Jul 31, 2004, 11:00:48 AM7/31/04
On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 06:56:22 -0700, Joe Shimkus wrote
(in article <joe-682A61.0...@individual.net>):

> sub-base units are not capitalized.

All your sub-base units are belong to us.

SoCalMike

Jul 31, 2004, 12:00:19 PM7/31/04

> Then I went back upstairs and googled up the total number of bills
> introduced in the house and senate last year, divided by 365, divided
> by 8, and came up with something less than an hour to read and make a
> decision on each, assuming an 8 hour day every day all year with no
> time off. This'd be on top of your regular job, of course, because we
> need a strong economy, and ya gotta eat.

congress doesnt read the bills either. so? i have a feeling if it was up
to the people, a lot of people would just vote "no" on everything.

Greg Goss

Jul 31, 2004, 1:33:21 PM7/31/04
Jerry Bauer <use...@bauerstar.com> wrote:

Someone set us up the gram.

Blinky the Shark

Jul 31, 2004, 2:50:28 PM7/31/04
Greg Goss wrote:
> Jerry Bauer <use...@bauerstar.com> wrote:

>>On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 06:56:22 -0700, Joe Shimkus wrote
>>(in article <joe-682A61.0...@individual.net>):

>>> sub-base units are not capitalized.

>>All your sub-base units are belong to us.

> Someone set us up the gram.

That would be a square gram, of course: all grams have the standard
thickness.

Joseph Michael Bay

Jul 31, 2004, 3:32:36 PM7/31/04
Blinky the Shark <no....@box.invalid> writes:

>huey.c...@gmail.com wrote:

>> Dumbest thing I heard this week: while taking a smoke break at work,
>> overheard someone say "What do we need Congress for? Why can't we all
>> just vote on all of this stuff?"

>If we didn't have Congress (her suggestion) to write them (not something
>she considered), the number of bills that needed to be voted on would be
>pretty small.

Without Congress, it seems likely that everyone would be able to
propose legislation. Count the number of letters to the editor from
old people to the local newspaper and multiply by a jillion, and that's
how many bills there would be. Consider also that instead of difficult
but unambiguous "legalese" they would be written in a variety of
styles and languages and that many of them would be submitted by
paranoid schizophrenics.

You wouldn't have time to *shred* all of them, much less read them.

Jerry Bauer

Jul 31, 2004, 6:44:32 PM7/31/04
On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 11:50:28 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote
(in article <slrncgnqfk....@thurston.blinkynet.net>):

> Greg Goss wrote:
>> Jerry Bauer <use...@bauerstar.com> wrote:
>
>>> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 06:56:22 -0700, Joe Shimkus wrote
>>> (in article <joe-682A61.0...@individual.net>):

>>> All your sub-base units are belong to us.
>
>> Someone set us up the gram.
>
> That would be a square gram, of course: all grams have the standard
> thickness.

And don't forget that a negative gram is one of the square roots of a
square gram.

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Jul 31, 2004, 8:30:12 PM7/31/04
PAVELB1 wrote:

>>No. Of the top of my head, Lincon, Grant, Bush the Elder and Truman.
>>Plus, I suspect Washington.
>
> Definitively? I have a hard time seeing Grant as a General engaging in
> hand-to-hand combat.

Try 2nd Lt. Ulysses S. Grant, Mexican-American War, where he
was definitely in close combat on more than one occasion.

Charles

--

"And some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the
chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Jul 31, 2004, 9:06:09 PM7/31/04
Kim wrote:

>>IIRC, TR's combat experience lasted about 45 minutes, and presumably
>>he spent most of that time commanding troups rather than firing his
>>rifle.

> Hid rifle? I thought he carried a big stick.

On his charge up Kettle Hill and San Juan Hill he carried an
both an 1889 .38 calibre Colt revolver and an 1895 .45 calibre
Colt revolver. The .38 had been recovered from the sunken
U.S.S. Maine.

According to:
http://www.ahfrichmond.com/projectgraphics/081trrev.ahf

"At the battle of San Juan, TR picked off an enemy soldier “as neatly
as a jackrabbit” with his revolver at ten paces while running uphill."

John Gilmer

Aug 1, 2004, 11:21:28 PM8/1/04

"Mike Looney" <mlo...@cox.net> wrote in message

> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:05:23 -0500, PAVELB1 <pav...@cox.net> wrote:
> >

> > If Kerry is elected President...will he be the first CIC who is
> > definitly known to have KILLED a man with a rifle, a sword, or his
> > bare hands?
> >

> No. Of the top of my head, Lincon, Grant, Bush the Elder and Truman.
> Plus, I suspect Washington.

Jackson killed more than one person "up close and personal." It's not
obvious whether the others who served (and there were a lot) actually killed
someone directly or they were "in charge" of troops or guns that did the
killing.

Harrison was an Indian Fighter. Lincoln was an Indian fighter. McKinley
was an officer in the GAR. Theodore Roosevelt led an attack again the
Spanish.

JFK I was involved in combat operations in the Pacific but I don't think he
fired any shots an anger before his boat was sunk.

> --
> Silliness is the last refuge of the doomed. P. Opus
> GAT d-- s:- a44 UL+++$ P++$ L+++$ E- W+++$ N++ K++ w---(++)$ O- M- V-- PS+
> PE++ Y PGP t++ 5 X R+++$ tv+ b++++ DI+++ D G+ e+ h--- r+++ y+++(**)$

Dilbert Firestorm

Aug 2, 2004, 8:06:27 PM8/2/04
John Gilmer wrote:

>"Mike Looney" <mlo...@cox.net> wrote in message
>

>>On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:05:23 -0500, PAVELB1 <pav...@cox.net> wrote:
>>

>>>If Kerry is elected President...will he be the first CIC who is
>>>definitly known to have KILLED a man with a rifle, a sword, or his
>>>bare hands?
>>>

>>No. Of the top of my head, Lincon, Grant, Bush the Elder and Truman.
>>Plus, I suspect Washington.
>>

>Jackson killed more than one person "up close and personal." It's not
>obvious whether the others who served (and there were a lot) actually killed
>someone directly or they were "in charge" of troops or guns that did the
>killing.
>
>Harrison was an Indian Fighter. Lincoln was an Indian fighter. McKinley
>was an officer in the GAR. Theodore Roosevelt led an attack again the
>Spanish.

lincoln, an indian fighter?????? that's news to me.. do you have a cite?

Erich

Aug 2, 2004, 9:45:32 PM8/2/04
In article <cemoen$dvk$2...@news.datasync.com>,
Dilbert Firestorm <scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote:

> >Harrison was an Indian Fighter. Lincoln was an Indian fighter. McKinley
> >was an officer in the GAR. Theodore Roosevelt led an attack again the
> >Spanish.
> >
> lincoln, an indian fighter?????? that's news to me.. do you have a cite?

Lincoln was in the Black Hawk war of 1832.
<http://lincoln.lib.niu.edu/blackhawk/index.html>

... Erich

spa...@pffcu.com

Aug 3, 2004, 9:39:59 AM8/3/04
Blinky the Shark <no....@box.invalid> wrote:
> PAVELB1 wrote:
>
>> If Kerry is elected President...will he be the first CIC who is
>> definitly known to have KILLED a man with a rifle, a sword, or his
>> bare hands?
>
> Why wouldn't a musket count? A handgun? A pike? A brick? A really
> bad pun?

The leader of the US killing someone with a really bad pun? That would
be un-presidented.

--
Rule 1: Spammers lie.

groo

Aug 6, 2004, 8:25:22 PM8/6/04
jm...@Stanford.EDU (Joseph Michael Bay) wrote in

> Blinky the Shark <no....@box.invalid> writes:
>
>>huey.c...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>> Dumbest thing I heard this week: while taking a smoke break at work,
>>> overheard someone say "What do we need Congress for? Why can't we
>>> all just vote on all of this stuff?"

>>If we didn't have Congress (her suggestion) to write them (not
>>something she considered), the number of bills that needed to be voted
>>on would be pretty small.
>
> Without Congress, it seems likely that everyone would be able to
> propose legislation. Count the number of letters to the editor from
> old people to the local newspaper and multiply by a jillion, and
> that's how many bills there would be. Consider also that instead of
> difficult but unambiguous "legalese" they would be written in a
> variety of styles and languages and that many of them would be
> submitted by paranoid schizophrenics.
>
> You wouldn't have time to *shred* all of them, much less read them.

You could use them to line the cages of all those monkeys you have in
front of typewriters.

--
"I don't like talking to people if I can help it. Actually, I guess I
don't mind the talking "to" part, it's the listening and pretending I