Useless Tall Municipal Monuments

Howart Holay Hail

Dec 31, 2011, 4:41:49 PM12/31/11
Off the top of my head, I can think of several cities with skyline
dominating essentially useless structures -- Washington has its Washington
Monument, St. Louis has its Arch, Seattle has its Needle, which seems to be
not much more than a tall restaurant.

What other cities have done this? NYC's skyscrapers obviously are useful
even if there's a fair amount of vanity involved in something like the
Empire State Building. My understanding is that Toronto's CN tower serves
a useful function for broadcasters, but I could be wrong about how
necessary it really is and whether a smaller tower could serve the same
purpose. Are there other notable examples of really tall, useless things
like the Arch or the Washington Monument?

Mary

Dec 31, 2011, 4:50:40 PM12/31/11
Do you really think that nothing has value apart from the utilitarian?

Mary

Captain Infinity

Dec 31, 2011, 5:14:31 PM12/31/11
Once Upon A Time,
Howart Holay Hail wrote:

>Are there other notable examples of really tall, useless things
>like the Arch or the Washington Monument?

Ashton Kutcher is 6 feet 3 inches tall. That's not particularly tall, but
he is particularly useless.

**
Captain Infinity

Mark Steese

Dec 31, 2011, 5:15:59 PM12/31/11
Howart Holay Hail <howarth...@notmail.com> wrote in
The Statue of Liberty is New York's equivalent of the Washington
Monument - Lady Liberty's kinda neat and all, but like the others you
mentioned, her main use is the attraction of tourist dollars. (She's
nowhere near as tall as the St Louis Arch, the Space Needle, or the
Washington Monument, though - even when you throw in the pedestal, the
total height's under a hundred meters.)

According to Wikipedia, the San Jacinto Monument in Houston is "the
world's tallest monumental column," just shy of 173 meters (the
Washington Monument is a little over 169 meters). Figures that Texans
would want to make sure theirs was bigger.

My personal favorite is the Astoria Column up on the Columbia: the
column itself is a measly 38 meters, but it was built on the crest of a
hill that's 183 meters above sea level, and the view from the
observation platform is breathtaking. Plus, it's modeled after Trajan's
Column, and the exterior is covered by a ribbon of artwork depicting the
exploration of the Columbia River and the founding of Astoria. It's not
useless, it's educational!
--
Year after year you wrote up these stories, and they'd wind up archived
in a pile of cardboard boxes in the warehouse, flattening and drying

Peter Boulding

Dec 31, 2011, 5:18:29 PM12/31/11
On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 15:50:40 -0600, Mary <mrfea...@a0l.com> wrote in
<rdqdnYIs7tMzHmLT...@mchsi.com>:
<http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OU9gW7W3rlg/S9jutz0YONI/AAAAAAAAMPI/32B2k4FYN14/s1600/ChristtheRedeemer-4.jpg>

>Do you really think that nothing has value apart from the utilitarian?

He said useless, not pointless.

--
Regards, Peter Boulding
pjbn...@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk (to e-mail, remove "UNSPAM")

Mark Steese

Dec 31, 2011, 5:29:08 PM12/31/11
Captain Infinity <Infi...@captaininfinity.us> wrote in
Sadly untrue: CBS has used him to prevent one of the worst TV shows ever
made from dying a well-deserved death.
--
Each gull had his preferred attack technique. The Nibbler favored a sharp
bite to the Achilles tendon, while the Shitmeister would swoop low,

Dover Beach

Dec 31, 2011, 5:32:59 PM12/31/11
Mark Steese <mark_...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Captain Infinity <Infi...@captaininfinity.us> wrote in
>
>> Once Upon A Time,
>> Howart Holay Hail wrote:
>>
>>>Are there other notable examples of really tall, useless things
>>>like the Arch or the Washington Monument?
>>
>> Ashton Kutcher is 6 feet 3 inches tall. That's not particularly
>> tall, but he is particularly useless.
>
> Sadly untrue: CBS has used him to prevent one of the worst TV shows
> ever made from dying a well-deserved death.

Charles Bishop will be by shortly to reprove you.

Jon M

Dec 31, 2011, 5:51:56 PM12/31/11
The American Pavilion in Spokane's Riverfront Park is 44 meters, but
its only real value is esthetic. It's beautiful and distinctive
enough to be part of the city's emblem. The top part provides a
minimal amount of shade to the ice rink/amusement park on the floor
and the rim houses an arcade year round.

--

Jon M

"History proves again and again how Nature points up the folly of men." -- Godzilla

Tim Wright

Dec 31, 2011, 6:09:26 PM12/31/11
On 12/31/2011 3:41 PM, Howart Holay Hail wrote:
Dallas has Reunion Tower.
<http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/Reunion_Tower_dallas.jpg>

Also the new Margaret Hunt Hill bridge.
<http://0343cbf.netsolhost.com/WordPress/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/dallas_bridge-1024x687.jpg>

--

Tim W

bill van

Dec 31, 2011, 6:13:30 PM12/31/11
In article <Xns9FCCA9EC4...@94.75.214.39>,
What have you got against profitable tourist attractions? The CN Tower,
which is now owned by the federal government, draws about two million
visitors a year and between its role in broadcasting and extracting
money from tourists, is generally profitable, with about $1.8 million in
net income for fiscal 2011. It employs 550 people and is deemed to be a
destination attraction, drawing tourists who spend money on a lot of
other things while they're in town.

I'd say a building or structure that draws millions of visitors who
spend money in a region is just as "obviously useful" as those NYC
skyscrapers.

bill

BillT...@invalid.com

Dec 31, 2011, 6:52:11 PM12/31/11
On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 17:14:31 -0500, Captain Infinity
<Infi...@captaininfinity.us> wrote:

>>Are there other notable examples of really tall, useless things
>>like the Arch or the Washington Monument?
>
>Ashton Kutcher is 6 feet 3 inches tall. That's not particularly tall, but
>he is particularly useless.

I wuz gonna say Bill Walton, but...

Rick B.

Dec 31, 2011, 6:52:41 PM12/31/11
Howart Holay Hail <howarth...@notmail.com> wrote in

> Off the top of my head, I can think of several cities with skyline
> dominating essentially useless structures -- Washington has its
> Washington Monument, St. Louis has its Arch, Seattle has its Needle,
> which seems to be not much more than a tall restaurant.
>
> What other cities have done this?

Philadelphia's City Hall (snark snark snark).

Greg Goss

Dec 31, 2011, 7:59:42 PM12/31/11
Howart Holay Hail <howarth...@notmail.com> wrote:

>Off the top of my head, I can think of several cities with skyline
>dominating essentially useless structures -- Washington has its Washington
>Monument, St. Louis has its Arch, Seattle has its Needle, which seems to be
>not much more than a tall restaurant.
>
>What other cities have done this?

Calgary's tower from the early sixties is apparently a careful fifteen
feet taller than some similar tower in Houston. There was a lot of
furor when a hated oil company built the first office tower taller
than the Calgary Tower, but I was leaving just as the announcements
were made. When I returned 25 years later, nobody but me remembered
the hatred. My brother was working in an office not a lot lower than
the tower's top, but not in the PetroCan building. Vancouver's tall
restaurant is extended from the top of a ten story or so retail and
office building, though I think the "retail" has been 3/4 replaced by
a college.

At one time, the tallest building in the British Empire belonged to a
newspaper in Vancouver. It doesn't say so in the histories I've seen,
but I suspect that the lookout in the Sun (originally "World")Tower
could see over the spine of Vancouver's peninsula and report on the
ships waiting for the right tide or wind to cross Lion's Gate.

>NYC's skyscrapers obviously are useful
>even if there's a fair amount of vanity involved in something like the
>Empire State Building.

During the discussions about rebuilding the WTC complex, the
discussions seemed to reach a consensus that the "useful" height for
buildings on that real estate seems to top out at about 55 stories and
that taller buildings are driven by ego. With that in mind, the WFC
buildings across from the WTC are fifty-ish stories tall.

>My understanding is that Toronto's CN tower serves
>a useful function for broadcasters, but I could be wrong about how
>necessary it really is and whether a smaller tower could serve the same
>purpose.

The taller a microwave tower, the further it can see past the earth's
curvature. With shorter towers, you need fewer of them. Bouncing
signals off of satellites (which was starting when the CN tower was
designed) involves severe lags. I'm not sure if microwave relay
towers are still used, or if it's all been replaced by fiber laid in
the nineties and the first year of the twokays. So it had value when
it was built, but I'm not sure if that value remains.

>Are there other notable examples of really tall, useless things
>like the Arch or the Washington Monument?

Try Dubai.

I'd have a bunch more to say, but I've just been called for dinner.
--
"Recessions catch what the auditors miss." (Galbraith)

danny burstein

Dec 31, 2011, 8:40:47 PM12/31/11
>>Are there other notable examples of really tall, useless things
>>like the Arch or the Washington Monument?

>Try Dubai.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_the_Redeemer_%28statue%29

dan...@panix.com

Mark Steese

Dec 31, 2011, 8:43:55 PM12/31/11
Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote in

> Howart Holay Hail <howarth...@notmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Off the top of my head, I can think of several cities with skyline
>>dominating essentially useless structures -- Washington has its
>>Washington Monument, St. Louis has its Arch, Seattle has its Needle,
>>which seems to be not much more than a tall restaurant.
>>
>>What other cities have done this?
>
> Calgary's tower from the early sixties is apparently a careful fifteen
> feet taller than some similar tower in Houston.

Close, but it was San Antonio, not Houston.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_the_Americas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary_Tower
--
Experts insist that the reason these switches go bad is because they're
hardly ever used. In other words, the less wear a switch gets the

Powered Holed Carrot Meal

Jan 1, 2012, 5:34:16 PM1/1/12
BillT...@invalid.com wrote in

> On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 17:14:31 -0500, Captain Infinity

>>>Are there other notable examples of really tall, useless things
>>>like the Arch or the Washington Monument?
>>
>>Ashton Kutcher is 6 feet 3 inches tall. That's not particularly tall,
>>but he is particularly useless.
>
> I wuz gonna say Bill Walton, but...

I've heard he's kind of funny doing Clippers radio broadcasts, but I can't
say I'd ever want to hear him during an actual NBA broadcast

Powered Holed Carrot Meal

Jan 1, 2012, 5:35:00 PM1/1/12
Peter Boulding <pjbn...@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk> wrote in

> On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 15:50:40 -0600, Mary <mrfea...@a0l.com> wrote in

>>Do you really think that nothing has value apart from the utilitarian?
>
> He said useless, not pointless.

I'll agree that the term useless is more loaded than most, but it's so much
more succint than something like nonutilitarian or some such.

I can't believe I forgot about the Eifel Tower.

Powered Holed Carrot Meal

Jan 1, 2012, 5:34:28 PM1/1/12
Dover Beach <moon.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mark Steese <mark_...@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
>> Captain Infinity <Infi...@captaininfinity.us> wrote in

>>> Ashton Kutcher is 6 feet 3 inches tall. That's not particularly
>>> tall, but he is particularly useless.
>>
>> Sadly untrue: CBS has used him to prevent one of the worst TV shows
>> ever made from dying a well-deserved death.
>
> Charles Bishop will be by shortly to reprove you.

I liked the first couple of seasons of That 70s Show, but now I won't
stop if a rerun comes up when I'm flipping channels.

Mary

Jan 1, 2012, 5:44:51 PM1/1/12
Yes, that's what I was reacting to.

Are you counting statues or just non-building structures?

Mary

art...@yahoo.com

Jan 1, 2012, 5:46:25 PM1/1/12
On Dec 31 2011, 6:52 pm, BillTurl...@invalid.com wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 17:14:31 -0500, Captain Infinity
>
> <Infin...@captaininfinity.us> wrote:
>
> >>Are there other notable examples of really tall, useless things
> >>like the Arch or the Washington Monument?
>
> >Ashton Kutcher is 6 feet 3 inches tall.  That's not particularly tall, but
> >he is particularly useless.
>
> I wuz gonna say Bill Walton, but...

Basketball wise, Yinka Dare is more relevant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yinka_Dare
In his first full season (1995–96), in which he played a personal best
58 out of 82 games, he turned the ball over 72 times while registering
no assists, holding the dubious NBA record for most games played in a
season, 58, without recording an assist. During his four-year career,
he would rack up a total of four assists accompanied by 96 turnovers,
while averaging 2.1 points, 2.6 rebounds, and less than 0.1 assists
per game.

art...@yahoo.com

Jan 1, 2012, 5:53:27 PM1/1/12
And speaking of basketball
http://tinyurl.com/7u7ca8e

Dennis Rodman is going to coach a woman's basketball team. The players
in the game will all be topless.

Howart Holay Hail

Jan 1, 2012, 6:29:17 PM1/1/12
Mary <mrfea...@a0l.com> wrote in
I'm happy to accept statues. The Colossus of Rhodes would obviously fit,
if it hadn't fallen down and gotten turned into commemorative figurines
by Mothomas Al-Kinkaid. For that matter, triumphal arches, columns,
origami or human pyramids would be fine too, anything interesting would
be, um, interesting.

Dover Beach

Jan 1, 2012, 6:52:42 PM1/1/12
Powered Holed Carrot Meal <howar...@notmail.com> wrote in
Yeah, that went downhill fast after the first couple of seasons. It
went to stupidly farcical instead of using the characters to drive the
comedy.

Mary

Jan 1, 2012, 6:58:18 PM1/1/12
Most pyramids were used for something, though. Teotihuacan was a temple
of sorts, and the Egyptian ones were funerary containers, weren't they?

Mary

Paul Madarasz

Jan 1, 2012, 7:06:07 PM1/1/12
On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 21:41:49 +0000 (UTC), Howart Holay Hail
<howarth...@notmail.com> wrote, perhaps among other things:
Fountain Hills, AZ. In the middle of the desert, someone thought it
would be a good idea to squirt a fountain of water $BIGNUM feet in the
air. Constantly.
--
"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell."
-- Ed Abbey

Lee Ayrton

Jan 1, 2012, 8:01:26 PM1/1/12
On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 17:58:18 -0600, Mary wrote:

> Most pyramids were used for something, though. Teotihuacan was a temple
> of sorts, and the Egyptian ones were funerary containers, weren't they?

I was musing about the Egyptian pyramids -- and nuclear waste bunkers --
just the other day. 20 centuries on how do we know what was supposed to
keep something out, and what was supposed to keep something in?

Lee "Cue: Tubular Bells" Ayrton

Lee Ayrton

Jan 1, 2012, 8:02:12 PM1/1/12
I think that that is a fair assessment.

Greg Goss

Jan 1, 2012, 8:14:00 PM1/1/12
Lee Ayrton <lay...@panix.com.nul> wrote:

>I was musing about the Egyptian pyramids -- and nuclear waste bunkers --
>just the other day. 20 centuries on how do we know what was supposed to
>keep something out, and what was supposed to keep something in?

Now you've reminded me of one of my favourite TV ads about TV ads.

Wendys in the middle eighties "While our competition perfects ever
more complex methods to keep the hot side hot and the cold side cold,
we make the burger just before we hand it to you."

BillT...@invalid.com

Jan 1, 2012, 8:09:37 PM1/1/12
Right now I'm reading Benbord's "Artifact".

BillT...@invalid.com

Jan 1, 2012, 8:14:12 PM1/1/12
On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 17:09:37 -0800, BillT...@invalid.com wrote:

>>I was musing about the Egyptian pyramids -- and nuclear waste bunkers --
>>just the other day. 20 centuries on how do we know what was supposed to
>>keep something out, and what was supposed to keep something in?
>>

>>Lee "Cue: Tubular Bells" Ayrton
>
>Right now I'm reading Benbord's "Artifact".
BENFORD. GREGORY

just my 10th tyop of hte bew year

Jack Campin

Jan 1, 2012, 8:19:38 PM1/1/12
> Off the top of my head, I can think of several cities with skyline
> dominating essentially useless structures -- Washington has its
> Washington Monument, St. Louis has its Arch, Seattle has its Needle,
> which seems to be not much more than a tall restaurant.
> What other cities have done this?

Cairo, Paris and Rio.

mobile 07800 739 557 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin

Mary Shafer

Jan 2, 2012, 12:27:10 AM1/2/12
On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 22:15:59 +0000 (UTC), Mark Steese
<mark_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The Statue of Liberty is New York's equivalent of the Washington
> Monument - Lady Liberty's kinda neat and all, but like the others you
> mentioned, her main use is the attraction of tourist dollars.

And she's actually in New Jersey.

Mary "Just like the Jets."
We didn't just do weird stuff at Dryden, we wrote reports about it.
reunite....@gmail.com or mil...@qnet.com
Visit my blog at http://digitalknitter.blogspot.com/

Snidely

Jan 2, 2012, 2:19:27 AM1/2/12
Powered Holed Carrot Meal <howar...@notmail.com> scribbled something
like ...
I've caught part of of his commentary, but I'm used to getting my
basketball via radio. He seemed to do a pretty reasonable job in the
bits I caught, but then I also enjoyed Detroit 187 and still patronize
Taco Bell.

But I still think of Bill Walton with flannel shirts or a Blazers
uniform. It is a matter of speculation as to whether his career would
have been longer with another team, but I understand he still hasn't
forgiven that management.

/dps

Boron Elgar

Jan 2, 2012, 8:16:05 AM1/2/12
On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 21:27:10 -0800, Mary Shafer
<reunite....@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 22:15:59 +0000 (UTC), Mark Steese
><mark_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> The Statue of Liberty is New York's equivalent of the Washington
>> Monument - Lady Liberty's kinda neat and all, but like the others you
>> mentioned, her main use is the attraction of tourist dollars.
>
>And she's actually in New Jersey.
>
>Mary "Just like the Jets."

And the Giants, too, with both teams playing in Met Life Stadium in
the Meadowlands.

The sad NY joke about the SoL, though, is that although she is
technically in our waters, she only shows her ass to NJ.

Boron

Howered Holed Carrot Meal

Jan 2, 2012, 9:30:48 AM1/2/12
Mary <mrfea...@a0l.com> wrote:

> On 1/1/2012 5:29 PM, Howart Holay Hail wrote:

>> Mary<mrfea...@a0l.com> wrote in
>>
>>> Are you counting statues or just non-building structures?
>>
>> I'm happy to accept statues. The Colossus of Rhodes would obviously
>> fit, if it hadn't fallen down and gotten turned into commemorative
>> figurines by Mothomas Al-Kinkaid. For that matter, triumphal arches,
>> columns, origami or human pyramids would be fine too, anything
>> interesting would be, um, interesting.
>
> Most pyramids were used for something, though. Teotihuacan was a
> temple of sorts, and the Egyptian ones were funerary containers,
> weren't they?

I could have sworn someone had built big time stone or glass replicas of
one or more of the great pyramids as a tourist attraction or monument to
civic pride, in the vein of the Nashville Parthenon, but the closest I
can find is this:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11213

Paul Madarasz

Jan 2, 2012, 11:51:25 AM1/2/12
On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 14:30:48 +0000 (UTC), Howered Holed Carrot Meal
<howar...@notmail.com> wrote, perhaps among other things:

>I could have sworn someone had built big time stone or glass replicas of
>one or more of the great pyramids as a tourist attraction or monument to
>civic pride, in the vein of the Nashville Parthenon, but the closest I
>can find is this:
>
>http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11213

Maybe the Louvre pyramid?

David J. Martin

Jan 2, 2012, 12:12:53 PM1/2/12
On 1/2/2012 10:51 AM, Paul Madarasz wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 14:30:48 +0000 (UTC), Howered Holed Carrot Meal
> <howar...@notmail.com> wrote, perhaps among other things:
>

>> I could have sworn someone had built big time stone or glass replicas of
>> one or more of the great pyramids as a tourist attraction or monument to
>> civic pride, in the vein of the Nashville Parthenon, but the closest I
>> can find is this:
>>
>> http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11213
>
> Maybe the Louvre pyramid?

Or the Memphis Bass Pro Shop Pyramid?

David

Shawn Wilson

Jan 2, 2012, 12:31:05 PM1/2/12
On Jan 1, 3:53 pm, "art...@yahoo.com" <art...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> And speaking of basketballhttp://tinyurl.com/7u7ca8e
>
> Dennis Rodman is going to coach a woman's basketball team. The players
> in the game will all be topless.

You mean like no hats? I didn't know women still wore hats.

Les Albert

Jan 2, 2012, 12:52:56 PM1/2/12
<reunite....@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 22:15:59 +0000 (UTC), Mark Steese
><mark_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> The Statue of Liberty is New York's equivalent of the Washington
>> Monument - Lady Liberty's kinda neat and all, but like the others you
>> mentioned, her main use is the attraction of tourist dollars.

>And she's actually in New Jersey.

Actually she is on New York territory.

"The Statue of Liberty is on Liberty Island, federal property
administered by the National Park Service, located within the
territorial jurisdiction of the State of New York. A pact between New
York and New Jersey, ratified by Congress in 1834, declared this
issue." - http://www.nps.gov/stli/faqs.htm

See also:

"The statue is situated in Upper New York Bay on Liberty Island, south
of Ellis Island. Both islands were ceded by New York to the federal
government in 1800. As agreed in an 1834 compact between New York and
New Jersey that set the state border at the bay's midpoint, the
original islands remain New York territory despite their location on
the New Jersey side of the state line. Land created by reclamation at
Ellis is New Jersey territory." -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Liberty#Location_and_visiting

If the Statue of Liberty were in New Jersey then she would have been
mugged a long time ago.

Les

Mark Steese

Jan 2, 2012, 12:53:11 PM1/2/12
Dover Beach <moon.b...@gmail.com> wrote in
Never watched it, myself. Kutcher is one of a handful of people whose
mere existence makes me irrationally angry
--
Year after year you wrote up these stories, and they'd wind up archived
in a pile of cardboard boxes in the warehouse, flattening and drying
like pressed flowers under the weight of all the stories above them -
the unknown stratigraphy of your career. -Jordan Fisher Smith

Kevin

Jan 2, 2012, 1:05:24 PM1/2/12
On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 17:53:11 +0000 (UTC), Mark Steese
<mark_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Dover Beach <moon.b...@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Powered Holed Carrot Meal <howar...@notmail.com> wrote in

>>> I liked the first couple of seasons of That 70s Show, but now I won't
>>> stop if a rerun comes up when I'm flipping channels.
>>
>> Yeah, that went downhill fast after the first couple of seasons. It
>> went to stupidly farcical instead of using the characters to drive the
>> comedy.
>
>Never watched it, myself. Kutcher is one of a handful of people whose
>mere existence makes me irrationally angry

Middle aged women have for ages been testy about younger women who use
up the perceived top tier of middle aged men. If all the polarities
reverse without crashing the system you could expect middle aged men
to become unhappy about younger men who use up the hottest and richest
middle aged women, even if in all those cases the unhappy contingent
doesn't really have much of a realistic shot of dating Jack Nicholson
or Demi Moore.

--
Kevin

Mark Steese

Jan 2, 2012, 1:29:23 PM1/2/12
Kevin <K_S_O...@yh.com> wrote in
I was under the impression the testiness was directed at wealthy and/or
famous middle-aged men who pathetically try to cling to an illusion of
youthfulness by using their wealth and/or fame to attract younger women.

> If all the polarities reverse without crashing the system you could
> expect middle aged men to become unhappy about younger men who use up
> the hottest and richest middle aged women, even if in all those cases
> the unhappy contingent doesn't really have much of a realistic shot of
> dating Jack Nicholson or Demi Moore.

Oh, I hated Kutcher long before he married Demi Moore. And while I
concede that Demi Moore is hotter than Jack Nicholson, I wouldn't wanna
date her.
--
There can be no doubt that the public--both in and out of the
courtroom--was as titillated by the mention of voodoo as they were by

Mary

Jan 2, 2012, 1:52:11 PM1/2/12
You had me right up until you named your examples. Jack Nicholson and
Demi Moore? Ugh.

Mary
Message has been deleted

art...@yahoo.com

Jan 2, 2012, 2:42:20 PM1/2/12
Maybe the type of beanies that Katherine Ross wore in "The Graduate".

BillT...@invalid.com

Jan 2, 2012, 3:13:46 PM1/2/12
<mark_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Never watched it, myself. Kutcher is one of a handful of people whose
>mere existence makes me irrationally angry
>--

Mucho leroy, having watched it.

BillT...@invalid.com

Jan 2, 2012, 3:16:59 PM1/2/12
<howar...@notmail.com> wrote:

>I could have sworn someone had built big time stone or glass replicas of
>one or more of the great pyramids as a tourist attraction or monument to
>civic pride, in the vein of the Nashville Parthenon, but the closest I
>can find is this:
>
>http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11213

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxor_Las_Vegas

Greg Goss

Jan 2, 2012, 3:42:20 PM1/2/12
Howered Holed Carrot Meal <howar...@notmail.com> wrote:

>I could have sworn someone had built big time stone or glass replicas of
>one or more of the great pyramids as a tourist attraction or monument to
>civic pride, in the vein of the Nashville Parthenon, but the closest I
>can find is this:
>
>http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11213

Are you thinking of the Vegas "Luxor" hotel? (The real Luxor is a
very long distance away from the original pyramids.) The third
largest hotel in the world (does Wikipedia count that never-finished
Korean abomination?) would count as "big time glass". I think it was
about 3/4 scale to the original.

Kevin

Jan 2, 2012, 4:06:02 PM1/2/12
On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 18:29:23 +0000 (UTC), Mark Steese
The two resentments of this sort I've noticed are older women
resenting younger women taking up many of the 'good' older men, and
black women resenting white women for taking up many of the 'good'
black men. In both cases the resentment is superficially aimed at the
men, but the deeper anger is at the other women. I suppose it's hard
to get angry at someone you at the same time sort of holding up as a
possible target of romantic interest.

>> If all the polarities reverse without crashing the system you could
>> expect middle aged men to become unhappy about younger men who use up
>> the hottest and richest middle aged women, even if in all those cases
>> the unhappy contingent doesn't really have much of a realistic shot of
>> dating Jack Nicholson or Demi Moore.
>
>Oh, I hated Kutcher long before he married Demi Moore.

Ah. Well, carry on then.

>And while I
>concede that Demi Moore is hotter than Jack Nicholson, I wouldn't wanna
>date her.

Of course you wouldn't.

--
Kevin

Kevin

Jan 2, 2012, 4:06:49 PM1/2/12
Are there better examples of successful older people who are widely
known for dating or marrying younger people?

Hactar

Jan 2, 2012, 3:35:00 PM1/2/12
In article <jdsoim$shb$1...@news.tamu.edu>,
Or the Luxor in LV?

--
-eben QebWe...@vTerYizUonI.nOetP royalty.mine.nu:81
When we've nuked the world to a cinder, the cockroaches picking

Greg Goss

Jan 2, 2012, 4:22:52 PM1/2/12
Kevin <K_S_O...@yh.com> wrote:

>>You had me right up until you named your examples. Jack Nicholson and
>>Demi Moore? Ugh.
>
>Are there better examples of successful older people who are widely
>known for dating or marrying younger people?

OJ? He was "successful" until the youngster marriage broke up.

Mary

Jan 2, 2012, 4:27:17 PM1/2/12
I'm sure there are, but it's just a matter of taste. Jack and Demi?
Bleh. Um, there's Michael Douglas. Warren Beatty.

Not sure they're all that much better than Jack Nicholson....

Mary

Peter Boulding

Jan 2, 2012, 5:09:09 PM1/2/12
On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 15:06:49 -0600, Kevin <K_S_O...@yh.com> wrote in
<0274g79d9htb2r3b4...@4ax.com>:

>Are there better examples of successful older people who are widely
>known for dating or marrying younger people?

Henry.

Rupert.

Newt.

J. Howard.

--
Regards, Peter Boulding
pjbn...@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk (to e-mail, remove "UNSPAM")
Fractal Images and Music: http://www.pboulding.co.uk/
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=794240&content=music

Mary

Jan 2, 2012, 5:11:47 PM1/2/12
On 1/2/2012 4:09 PM, Peter Boulding wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 15:06:49 -0600, Kevin<K_S_O...@yh.com> wrote in
> <0274g79d9htb2r3b4...@4ax.com>:
>
>> Are there better examples of successful older people who are widely
>> known for dating or marrying younger people?
>
> Henry.
>
> Rupert.
>
> Newt.
>
> J. Howard.

AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

If Rupert and Newt are in the category, I want out.

Mary
luckily my husband and I are only two years apart.

art...@yahoo.com

Jan 2, 2012, 5:15:29 PM1/2/12
On Jan 2, 4:06 pm, Kevin <K_S_ONe...@yh.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 12:52:11 -0600, Mary <mrfeath...@a0l.com> wrote:
> >On 1/2/2012 12:05 PM, Kevin wrote:

Osama Bin Laden?

Rick B.

Jan 2, 2012, 5:39:18 PM1/2/12
Kevin <K_S_O...@yh.com> wrote in news:0274g79d9htb2r3b4k912qrvvs8tdr1vov@
4ax.com:
William O. Douglas

Tony Randall

Mark Steese

Jan 2, 2012, 5:39:53 PM1/2/12
Mary <mrfea...@a0l.com> wrote in

> On 1/2/2012 4:09 PM, Peter Boulding wrote:
>> On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 15:06:49 -0600, Kevin<K_S_O...@yh.com> wrote in
>> <0274g79d9htb2r3b4...@4ax.com>:
>>
>>> Are there better examples of successful older people who are widely
>>> known for dating or marrying younger people?
>>
>> Henry.
>>
>> Rupert.
>>
>> Newt.
>>
>> J. Howard.
>
> AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
>
> If Rupert and Newt are in the category, I want out.

And Peter didn't even get around to The Donald yet! (Married three times so
far, each time to a younger woman: he was born in 1946, and Ivana and he
were born a mere three years apart: Marla Maples was born in 1963, and
Melania Knauss is 24 years his junior. You may now shudder uncontrollably.)
--
At the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893, a very curious figure stood in
the California State Building: a medieval knight in armor, mounted on a

Greg Goss

Jan 2, 2012, 5:46:43 PM1/2/12
Mary <mrfea...@a0l.com> wrote:

>On 1/2/2012 4:09 PM, Peter Boulding wrote:
>> On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 15:06:49 -0600, Kevin<K_S_O...@yh.com> wrote in
>> <0274g79d9htb2r3b4...@4ax.com>:
>>
>>> Are there better examples of successful older people who are widely
>>> known for dating or marrying younger people?
>>
>> Henry.
>>
>> Rupert.
>>
>> Newt.
>>
>> J. Howard.
>

>If Rupert and Newt are in the category, I want out.
>
>Mary
>luckily my husband and I are only two years apart.

I was twelve years older than my first wife. (my first marriage and
her second. Gosses tend to marry late.)

In the first cancer round, the "outpatient care" at Vancouver General
was called "Day Care". I used to joke at the office that I had to
leave early to "pick up my wife from daycare."

One of the introductions to the residents of AFCA once said that
"Greg's proud that his car is older than his wife", a bit of an
exageration since she was 27 and the car was only 17.

Greg Goss

Jan 2, 2012, 5:47:35 PM1/2/12
Mark Steese <mark_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> If Rupert and Newt are in the category, I want out.
>
>And Peter didn't even get around to The Donald yet! (Married three times so
>far, each time to a younger woman: he was born in 1946, and Ivana and he
>were born a mere three years apart: Marla Maples was born in 1963, and
>Melania Knauss is 24 years his junior. You may now shudder uncontrollably.)

Each of them were adults. I assume that Mel is getting what she
expected.

Mark Steese

Jan 2, 2012, 5:48:30 PM1/2/12
Kevin <K_S_O...@yh.com> wrote in
Sure, Kreskin.

> I suppose it's hard to get angry at someone you at the same time sort
> of holding up as a possible target of romantic interest.

Do you really think there are a lot of women of *any* age who fantasize
about getting it on with Jack Nicholson?

>>> If all the polarities reverse without crashing the system you could
>>> expect middle aged men to become unhappy about younger men who use
>>> up the hottest and richest middle aged women, even if in all those
>>> cases the unhappy contingent doesn't really have much of a realistic
>>> shot of dating Jack Nicholson or Demi Moore.
>>
>>Oh, I hated Kutcher long before he married Demi Moore.
>
> Ah. Well, carry on then.
>
>>And while I concede that Demi Moore is hotter than Jack Nicholson, I
>>wouldn't wanna date her.
>
> Of course you wouldn't.

I mislike your tone, young man, but not as much as I mislike Demi Moore.
Now, if both Helen Mirren and I were free agents, that'd be another
story entirely.

Mary

Jan 2, 2012, 6:17:57 PM1/2/12
On 1/2/2012 4:47 PM, Greg Goss wrote:
> Mark Steese<mark_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>> If Rupert and Newt are in the category, I want out.
>>
>> And Peter didn't even get around to The Donald yet! (Married three times so
>> far, each time to a younger woman: he was born in 1946, and Ivana and he
>> were born a mere three years apart: Marla Maples was born in 1963, and
>> Melania Knauss is 24 years his junior. You may now shudder uncontrollably.)
>
> Each of them were adults. I assume that Mel is getting what she
> expected.

Sure, but that's not the point. The point is that the Donald is a
repellent asshole who, if he were poor, would never have had a chance
with any of them.

Mary

Greg Goss

Jan 2, 2012, 6:22:30 PM1/2/12
Mary <mrfea...@a0l.com> wrote:

>Sure, but that's not the point. The point is that the Donald is a
>repellent asshole who, if he were poor, would never have had a chance
>with any of them.

Donald's a nobody. If his money makes her happy, then shrug. His
failure to make much of a mark on the politics I follow last year was
the only real impact he's had on my perception for years.

Now that I've got someone to live with, I have no real passion for or
against men who take more than their share. Half a decade ago, I
liked the idea of gay guys because they were taking less than their
share of women.

I'll save my share of anger for the repellent assholes who intimidate
or damage their wives.

BillT...@invalid.com

Jan 2, 2012, 7:38:36 PM1/2/12
On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 22:39:53 +0000 (UTC), Mark Steese
<mark_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> If Rupert and Newt are in the category, I want out.
>
>And Peter didn't even get around to The Donald yet! (Married three times so
>far, each time to a younger woman: he was born in 1946, and Ivana and he
>were born a mere three years apart: Marla Maples was born in 1963, and
>Melania Knauss is 24 years his junior. You may now shudder uncontrollably.)

Doing so now.

Les Albert

Jan 2, 2012, 7:58:28 PM1/2/12
On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 16:22:30 -0700, Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:

>Now that I've got someone to live with, I have no real passion for or
>against men who take more than their share. Half a decade ago, I
>liked the idea of gay guys because they were taking less than their
>share of women.

It's difficult to understand that because you couldn't find someone to
live with that you thought it was the fault of men who take more than
their share of women. Were you competing with men who had more money,
or were better looking, or both?

Les

Hactar

Jan 2, 2012, 7:46:40 PM1/2/12
In article <0274g79d9htb2r3b4...@4ax.com>,
Sean Connery, but I don't know if his on-screen romances extend to real
life.

--
-eben QebWe...@vTerYizUonI.nOetP royalty.mine.nu:81

This message was created using recycled electrons.

Greg Goss

Jan 2, 2012, 8:18:45 PM1/2/12
Ask shawn. Every player in a commodity market affects the market
availability. (grin)

Les Albert

Jan 2, 2012, 8:21:49 PM1/2/12
Women are not commodities. (un-grin).

Les

rwalker

Jan 2, 2012, 9:22:58 PM1/2/12
On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 01:40:47 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
<dan...@panix.com> wrote:

>>>Are there other notable examples of really tall, useless things
>>>like the Arch or the Washington Monument?
>
>>Try Dubai.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_the_Redeemer_%28statue%29

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Temple_Buddha

Jeff Lanam

Jan 2, 2012, 9:52:37 PM1/2/12
On 12/31/2011 1:41 PM, Howart Holay Hail wrote:
> Are there other notable examples of really tall, useless things
> like the Arch or the Washington Monument?

Coit Tower in San Francisco. It isn't really tall, only 64m, but as
it's on top of a hill, is an iconic landmark.

Indianapolis has the Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument in the middle of
downtown. It's 87m, which isn't much now, but was when it was built in
1901.

Snidely

Jan 2, 2012, 10:33:13 PM1/2/12
Mary <mrfea...@a0l.com> scribbled something like ...

> Not sure they're all that much better than Jack Nicholson....

In the immortal words of Uncle Cecil,

"A legendary self-publicist, Franklin liked to give the impression he was a
great womanizer, but he was in his 70s and troubled by gout while serving
as an envoy to France, alleged scene of his most celebrated conquests.
While he was charming and popular with the ladies, and it's not beyond
belief that he got physical with a few of them (if women find Jack
Nicholson sexy, anything's possible), there's little evidence of any
Casanova-like proclivities."

/dps

Mark Steese

Jan 2, 2012, 10:51:28 PM1/2/12

> Mark Steese <mark_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>> If Rupert and Newt are in the category, I want out.
>>
>>And Peter didn't even get around to The Donald yet! (Married three
>>times so far, each time to a younger woman: he was born in 1946, and
>>Ivana and he were born a mere three years apart: Marla Maples was born
>>in 1963, and Melania Knauss is 24 years his junior. You may now
>>shudder uncontrollably.)
>
> Each of them were adults. I assume that Mel is getting what she
> expected.

So did Marlowe's Doctor Faustus, but one may still shudder at his fate.
--
The proud flag went up, hoisted on a staff in the center of the old Sonoma
Plaza. The crowds of Mexicans greeted it with laughter and derision, taking

Bill Kinkaid

Jan 2, 2012, 10:59:32 PM1/2/12
In article <4ab3g71t7ftgcmgdd...@4ax.com>,
boron...@hootmail.com says...

> On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 21:27:10 -0800, Mary Shafer
> <reunite....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 22:15:59 +0000 (UTC), Mark Steese
> ><mark_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> The Statue of Liberty is New York's equivalent of the Washington
> >> Monument - Lady Liberty's kinda neat and all, but like the others you
> >> mentioned, her main use is the attraction of tourist dollars.
> >
> >And she's actually in New Jersey.
> >
> >Mary "Just like the Jets."
>
> And the Giants, too, with both teams playing in Met Life Stadium in
> the Meadowlands.
>
> The sad NY joke about the SoL, though, is that although she is
> technically in our waters, she only shows her ass to NJ.
>
> Boron

Which brings us to Mount Rushmore from the Canadian side:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=226000714124766
&set=a.186656484725856.47538.100001445161437&type=1&theater

(Please don't post to spoil the joke by pointing out that North Dakota
and over half of South Dakota is in between.)
--

Bill in Vancouver
https://picasaweb.google.com/BillKinkaid

Mary

Jan 2, 2012, 11:12:22 PM1/2/12
Indeed.

Mary

D.F. Manno

Jan 2, 2012, 11:29:51 PM1/2/12
In article <Xns9FCCA9EC4...@94.75.214.39>,
Howart Holay Hail <howarth...@notmail.com> wrote:

> Are there other notable examples of really tall, useless things
> like the Arch or the Washington Monument?

The Bank of America Tower.

--
D.F. Manno | dfm...@mail.com
I am a kind of paranoiac in reverse. I suspect people of plotting to make

D.F. Manno

Jan 2, 2012, 11:41:05 PM1/2/12
In article
<a874528e-499e-49de...@f1g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
"art...@yahoo.com" <art...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yinka_Dare
> In his first full season (1995­96), in which he played a personal best
> 58 out of 82 games, he turned the ball over 72 times while registering
> no assists, holding the dubious NBA record for most games played in a
> season, 58, without recording an assist. During his four-year career,
> he would rack up a total of four assists accompanied by 96 turnovers,
> while averaging 2.1 points, 2.6 rebounds, and less than 0.1 assists
> per game.

You can't pass the rock if you can't hold on to it.

Peter Boulding

Jan 2, 2012, 11:55:02 PM1/2/12
On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 16:11:47 -0600, Mary <mrfea...@a0l.com> wrote in
<5O6dnb5ynKo5tp_S...@mchsi.com>:

>On 1/2/2012 4:09 PM, Peter Boulding wrote:
>> On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 15:06:49 -0600, Kevin<K_S_O...@yh.com> wrote in
>> <0274g79d9htb2r3b4...@4ax.com>:
>>
>>> Are there better examples of successful older people who are widely
>>> known for dating or marrying younger people?

>> Henry.
>>
>> Rupert.
>>
>> Newt.
>>
>> J. Howard.

>AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
>
>If Rupert and Newt are in the category, I want out.

Irrelevant aside:

"Can't resist this tweet, but all Iowans think about Rick Santorum. Only
candidate with genuine big vision for country."
- Rupert Murdoch

"I don't want to make black people's lives better by giving them other
people's money."
- Rick Santorum, explaining his desire to reform welfare out of existence

Jared

Jan 3, 2012, 1:18:53 AM1/3/12
Salman Rushdie.

--
Jared

The flail of God, implacable as the thunderstorm; upon whose boots dries the blood of his foes.

Jan 3, 2012, 5:14:57 AM1/3/12
I'm sure it makes you feel good about yourself to think that, but of
course they are. Dating, marriage, and sex all correspond quite
predictably to markets, as:

http://www.hookingupsmart.com/best-of-hus/

>  (un-grin).

I really hate it when he does that.

The flail of God, implacable as the thunderstorm; upon whose boots dries the blood of his foes.

Jan 3, 2012, 5:17:16 AM1/3/12
On Jan 2, 10:51 pm, Mark Steese <mark_ste...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote innews:9meqg6...@mid.individual.net:

> >>And Peter didn't even get around to The Donald yet! (Married three
> >>times so far, each time to a younger woman: he was born in 1946, and
> >>Ivana and he were born a mere three years apart: Marla Maples was born
> >>in 1963, and Melania Knauss is 24 years his junior. You may now
> >>shudder uncontrollably.)
>
> > Each of them were adults.  I assume that Mel is getting what she
> > expected.
>
> So did Marlowe's Doctor Faustus, but one may still shudder at his fate.

Donald Trump is likely no more loathsome, naked or not, than Goss or
many of your husbands, and of course he has a lot of money.

Peter Boulding

Jan 3, 2012, 5:17:16 AM1/3/12
On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 01:18:53 -0500, Jared <jare...@gmail.com> wrote in
<jdu6kb$5um$2...@speranza.aioe.org>:

>On 1/2/2012 5:11 PM, Mary wrote:
>> On 1/2/2012 4:09 PM, Peter Boulding wrote:

>>> Henry.
>>>
>>> Rupert.
>>>
>>> Newt.
>>>
>>> J. Howard.

>> AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
>>
>> If Rupert and Newt are in the category, I want out.

>Salman Rushdie.

Really?

<googles>

Oh. Wow.
<http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/Pia_Glenn_and_Salman_Rushdie_Shankbone_2009_Vanity_Fair.jpg>

The flail of God, implacable as the thunderstorm; upon whose boots dries the blood of his foes.

Jan 3, 2012, 5:25:43 AM1/3/12
On Jan 2, 11:55 pm, Peter Boulding <pjbne...@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk>
wrote:

> "I don't want to make black people's lives better by giving them other
> people's money."
> - Rick Santorum, explaining his desire to reform welfare out of existence

And what is it that you find objectionable about this sentiment,
again? There's nothing admirable about the desire to force someone
else to do something, especially when it turns out to have largely the
opposite result as you'd (ostensibly, although I cannot rule out the
possibility that you secretly and consciously hate black people)
hoped.

The flail of God, implacable as the thunderstorm; upon whose boots dries the blood of his foes.

Jan 3, 2012, 5:51:07 AM1/3/12

#5. The Cursed Tomb

Of course, if you want a true, large-scale Mummy-type curse, you need
a really horrifying backstory. Which brings us to the cursed tomb of
Timur.
After assuming the title of Great Khan in 1369, Timur launched a
horrific campaign from Persia to Southern Russia that would have made
his great grandfather Genghis proud -- right down to the pyramid of
70,000 human skulls he built in north India, presumably because he was
tired of carrying them around.

"Just pile them all here. Somebody will get them."
When Timur died in 1405, he was interred in the Gur-e Amir complex of
Samarkand, Uzbekistan. A huge green jade slab which had once served as
the throne for Kabek Khan was placed over his tomb and covered with
Arabic text about how awesome it is to be Mongol, and, just to make
sure nobody messed with Timur's bones down the road, the words "When I
arise from the grave, the world will tremble", which is eerily
reminiscent of Vigo's prophecy in Ghostbusters II.

Sure enough, in 1941, Stalin dispatched Soviet archeologist Mikhail
Mikhaylovich Gerasimov to excavate Timur's gravesite, we're guessing
to one-up the Nazis' recent archeological breakthroughs at Tanis and
Iskenderun.
According to Kaumov, local Uzbek elders were understandably upset
about the excavation: "These old men showed me a book saying that the
tomb of Timur should not be opened, otherwise a war could be provoked.
I was young at the time and not too wise. I did not pay too much
attention to this event. On 21 June we removed the skull of Timur.
Then, on the 22 June the war with the Germans began."

In other words, less than 24 hours after opening the tomb that
threatened to "make the world tremble" if disturbed, Stalin's men saw
Hitler launch Operation Barbarossa: the largest and most brutal
invasion of WWII.
After losing millions of Soviet soldiers and civilians, the Russians
finally returned Timur to his tomb with full Islamic burial rights on
December 20, 1942. At the same time on the opposite side of the
country, Operation Winter Storm, the last German attempt to escape
destruction at Stalingrad, failed decisively.

To be clear, it is the official position of Cracked.com that curses do
not exist. Still, to be safe, stay the hell away from Timur's tomb.
Oh, and maybe send some flowers to the archeologist who had the
brilliant idea of restoring Timur's remains just in time to prevent
the Nazis from winning WWII... whoever he may be.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18809_the-6-most-strangely-convincing-real-life-curses.html

The flail of God, implacable as the thunderstorm; upon whose boots dries the blood of his foes.

Jan 3, 2012, 6:21:41 AM1/3/12
On Jan 2, 4:06 pm, Kevin <K_S_ONe...@yh.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 12:52:11 -0600, Mary <mrfeath...@a0l.com> wrote:
> >On 1/2/2012 12:05 PM, Kevin wrote:

> >> Middle aged women have for ages been testy about younger women who use
> >> up the perceived top tier of middle aged men.  If all the polarities
> >> reverse without crashing the system you could expect middle aged men
> >> to become unhappy about younger men who use up the hottest and richest
> >> middle aged women, even if in all those cases the unhappy contingent
> >> doesn't really have much of a realistic shot of dating Jack Nicholson
> >> or Demi Moore.
>
> >You had me right up until you named your examples.  Jack Nicholson and
> >Demi Moore?  Ugh.
>
> Are there better examples of successful older people who are widely
> known for dating or marrying younger people?

Humphrey Bogart.

Jared

Jan 3, 2012, 7:23:12 AM1/3/12
On 1/3/2012 5:17 AM, Peter Boulding wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 01:18:53 -0500, Jared<jare...@gmail.com> wrote in
> <jdu6kb$5um$2...@speranza.aioe.org>:

>>> AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
>>>
>>> If Rupert and Newt are in the category, I want out.
>
>> Salman Rushdie.
>
> Really?
>
> <googles>
>
> Oh. Wow.
> <http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/Pia_Glenn_and_Salman_Rushdie_Shankbone_2009_Vanity_Fair.jpg>

And...

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/05_01/rushdie_468x413.jpg

--
Jared

Jared

Jan 3, 2012, 7:40:19 AM1/3/12

Boron Elgar

Jan 3, 2012, 7:57:29 AM1/3/12
On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 19:59:32 -0800, Bill Kinkaid <billk...@shaw.ca>
wrote:
I had not seen that before. I certainly got a giggle out of it.

Boron

S. Checker

Jan 3, 2012, 9:31:48 AM1/3/12
Howart Holay Hail <howarth...@notmail.com> wrote:

> What other cities have done this? NYC's skyscrapers obviously are useful
> even if there's a fair amount of vanity involved in something like the
> Empire State Building. My understanding is that Toronto's CN tower serves
> a useful function for broadcasters, but I could be wrong about how
> necessary it really is and whether a smaller tower could serve the same
> purpose. Are there other notable examples of really tall, useless things
> like the Arch or the Washington Monument?

Philadelphia has Andre Iguodala.
--
My love complies with all EEOC, OSHA, and Department of Education
regulations.

Dover Beach

Jan 3, 2012, 10:43:49 AM1/3/12

> Oh. Wow.
> <http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/Pia_Glenn_and_Salma
> n_Rushdie_Shankbone_2009_Vanity_Fair.jpg>

That's the worst boob job EVER. That's worse than Tara Reid's. She
should sue.

--
Dover

Greg Goss

Jan 3, 2012, 12:05:16 PM1/3/12
Boron Elgar <boron...@hootmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 19:59:32 -0800, Bill Kinkaid <billk...@shaw.ca>
>wrote:

>>Which brings us to Mount Rushmore from the Canadian side:
>>
>>http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=226000714124766
>>&set=a.186656484725856.47538.100001445161437&type=1&theater
>>
>>(Please don't post to spoil the joke by pointing out that North Dakota
>>and over half of South Dakota is in between.)
>

>I had not seen that before. I certainly got a giggle out of it.

I'd seen a similar image before, but not the "Canadian" setup for it.

Paul Madarasz

Jan 3, 2012, 12:41:54 PM1/3/12
On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 23:29:51 -0500, "D.F. Manno" <dfm...@mail.com>
wrote, perhaps among other things:

>In article <Xns9FCCA9EC4...@94.75.214.39>,
> Howart Holay Hail <howarth...@notmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Are there other notable examples of really tall, useless things
>> like the Arch or the Washington Monument?
>
>The Bank of America Tower.

The Big Jesus in Rio.
--
"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell."
-- Ed Abbey

BillT...@invalid.com

Jan 3, 2012, 3:37:10 PM1/3/12
On 3 Jan 2012 15:43:49 GMT, Dover Beach <moon.b...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Agreed.

And that is the very definition of a shit-eating smirk!

Bill "symmetry is the bugaboob of little minds" Turlock

BillT...@invalid.com

Jan 3, 2012, 3:40:12 PM1/3/12
On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 10:41:54 -0700, Paul Madarasz
<paul.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 23:29:51 -0500, "D.F. Manno" <dfm...@mail.com>
>wrote, perhaps among other things:
>
>>In article <Xns9FCCA9EC4...@94.75.214.39>,
>> Howart Holay Hail <howarth...@notmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Are there other notable examples of really tall, useless things
>>> like the Arch or the Washington Monument?
>>
>>The Bank of America Tower.
>
>The Big Jesus in Rio.

I had a hunch back in Indiana you'd say that.

Opus the Penguin

Jan 3, 2012, 5:32:31 PM1/3/12
Les Albert (lalb...@aol.com) wrote:
> Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:

>>>It's difficult to understand that because you couldn't find
>>>someone to live with that you thought it was the fault of men who
>>>take more than their share of women. Were you competing with men
>>>who had more money, or were better looking, or both?
>
>>Ask shawn. Every player in a commodity market affects the market
>>availability. (grin)
>

> Women are not commodities. (un-grin).

The kind of women who would double up on a dude like Peter Gibbons'
next door neighbor are.

--
Opus the Penguin
The best darn penguin in all of Usenet

Les Albert

Jan 3, 2012, 6:20:31 PM1/3/12
Who is Peter Gibbons' next door neighbor, and what kind of women
doubled up on the dude, dude?

Les

Snidely

Jan 3, 2012, 9:20:54 PM1/3/12
BillT...@invalid.com scribbled something like ...
Maybe she can count to 3.

/dps

Opus the Penguin

Jan 3, 2012, 9:33:22 PM1/3/12
Peter Gibbons: What would you do if you had a million dollars?

Lawrence: I'll tell you what I'd do, man: two chicks at the same
time, man.

Peter Gibbons: That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two
chicks at the same time?

Lawrence: Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I
think if I were a millionaire I could hook that up, too; 'cause
chicks dig dudes with money.

Peter Gibbons: Well, not all chicks.

Lawrence: Well, the type of chicks that'd double up on a dude like
me do.

Peter Gibbons: Good point.

Heather

Jan 3, 2012, 10:40:49 PM1/3/12
On 3 Jan 2012 15:43:49 GMT, Dover Beach <moon.b...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I noticed that too. Yes, she should.

--
Heather

Snidely

Jan 4, 2012, 1:59:03 AM1/4/12
Heather <redbo...@gmail.com> scribbled something like ...
And then there are certain post-operative risks:
<http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMicm1102594>

(New England Journal of Medicine, not a Tara Reid link)

/dps

Peter Boulding

Jan 4, 2012, 7:01:34 AM1/4/12
On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 04:55:02 +0000, I wrote in
<5b25g71ao09rcl73t...@4ax.com>:

>"I don't want to make black people's lives better by giving them other
>people's money."
>- Rick Santorum, explaining his desire to reform welfare out of existence

<http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/the-daily-cartoon-760940.html>
It is loading more messages.