Remembering non-traditions

Lars Eighner

Nov 11, 2004, 2:05:45 AM11/11/04
Can anyone tell me when this business of green-bean casserole being
a holiday tradition started? It is pretty obviously a marketing ploy
of the people who make that canned onion-like substance, but I'm
pretty sure I can remember when no one had heard of any such thing.
Yet the commercials suggesting that it is a tradition handed down
from Great Grandma will start running soon.

--
Lars Eighner -finger for geek code- eig...@io.com http://www.io.com/~eighner/
"With a heavy dose of fear and violence, and a lot of money for projects,

minmei

Nov 11, 2004, 2:24:48 AM11/11/04

"Lars Eighner" <eig...@io.com> wrote in message

> Can anyone tell me when this business of green-bean casserole being
> a holiday tradition started? It is pretty obviously a marketing ploy
> of the people who make that canned onion-like substance, but I'm
> pretty sure I can remember when no one had heard of any such thing.
> Yet the commercials suggesting that it is a tradition handed down
> from Great Grandma will start running soon.

First time we tried it was I think 2 years ago, never heard of it much b4
that, but we do like it.
minmei

kay w

Nov 11, 2004, 11:25:23 AM11/11/04
Previously,

Lars:

>Can anyone tell me when this business of green-bean casserole being
>a holiday tradition started? It is pretty obviously a marketing ploy
>of the people who make that canned onion-like substance, but I'm
>pretty sure I can remember when no one had heard of any such thing.
>Yet the commercials suggesting that it is a tradition handed down
>from Great Grandma will start running soon.

I can't speak for Great Grandma, but I remember being maybe 4 or 5, being
allowed to help set the table, and for some reason picking up the GBC which
burned me, so I dropped/threw it away from me.
What a mess.

This site says that Campbell (the soup people) developed the recipe for GBC in
1955, which would include (barely) my memory of the above.

http://www.foodreference.com/html/html/yearonlytimeline1951-2000.html

--
"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
Tallulah Bankhead

kay w

Nov 11, 2004, 11:36:15 AM11/11/04
If anyone cares, here's the list from the web site I mentioned in my previous
post...this is the list from 1950 - 2000.

1950 The Telephone Answering Machine was created by Bell Laboratories and
Western Electric.
1950 The first credit card, the Diners Club was created by Frank McNamara after
he realized he had forgotten his wallet after dining at a restaurant.
1950 There were 407 breweries in operation in the U.S.
1950 Pillsbury launches it's annual 'Bake-off' to promote flour.
1950 The Open Kettle, a coffee and donut shop in Quincy Mass. is renamed
Dunkin' Donuts. The first franchise is sold in 1955.
1950 Minute Rice is introduced.
1950 The first commercially packaged sliced process cheese is introduced by
Kraft - Deluxe Process Cheese.
1950 Pillsbury and General Mills introduce prepared cake mixes.
1950 Sugar pops are introduced
1950 Rudolph Boysen, died. He developed the boysenberry, a raspberry-blackberry
hybrid in 1923.
1951 The first Jack-in-the-Box opens in San Diego.
1951 The first S&H Green Stamps given out at Denver store chain King Sooper.
1951 Gerber Products starts using MSG (monosodium glutamate) in its baby foods
to make them taste better.
1951 Tupperware introduced.
1951 Swanson introduces beef, chicken, turkey pot pies.
1951 In a survey conducted of the U.S. armed services, banana cream pie was the
favorite dessert.
1952 The first sugar free no calorie soft drinks are introduced.
1952 Lipton's dry Onion Soup Mix is introduced.
1952 Sugar Frosted Flakes, 29 percent sugar, are introduced by Kelloggs.
1952 Clarence Birdseye introduces the first frozen peas.
1952 Mrs. Paul's introduces frozen fish sticks.
1952 Howard Johnson's becomes the world’s largest food chain when it opens
its 351st restaurant.
1952 Pream, a powdered nondairy coffee lightener is introduced.
1953 Dow Chemical creates Saran Wrap
1953 The French Sardine Co. (since 1917) becomes Star-Kist Foods. Charlie the
Tuna comes on board in 1961.
1953 Kraft Cheez Whiz is introduced as a shortcut for homemakers making Welsh
rarebit.
1953 White Rose Redi-tea is the world's first instant iced tea.
1953 Irish Coffee is supposedly created by a bartender Joe Sheridan at Shannon
Airport.
1953 Sugar Smacks are introduced - they contained 56% sugar.
1954 Kraft introduced Cracker Barrel brand natural cheese.
1954 Butterball self-basting turkeys are introduced.
1954 M&M's Peanut Chocolate Candies were introduced. Also, the the famous
slogan, 'The milk chocolate melts in your mouth, not in your hand,' slogan is
introduced.
1954 'Let's Eat Right to Keep Fit' by Adele Davis is published, one of the
earliest health food books.
1954 Trix cereal is introduced by General Mills. It is more than 46% sugar.
1954 Schlitz, The Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous! introduced the 16 oz beer
can.
1954 Burger King was founded by James McLamore and David Edgerton.
1955 Campbell’s developed the Green Bean Casserole Bake recipe.
1955 Instant Oatmeal is invented by the Quaker Oats Company.
1955 Frozen, fully stuffed turkeys, ready to cook, were introduced.
1955 Kellog introduced Special K breakfast cereal, with only 4.5% sugar.
1956 80% of U.S. households have a refrigerator, but only 8% of British
households do.
1956 Budweiser Brewery introduces Busch beer.
1956 Four U.S. chefs win the Culinary Olympics in Frankfurt, Germany; Paul
Laesecke, Otto Spielbachler, Paul Leuppe, and Paul Debes.
1956 The largest clam ever recorded was found in Okinawa in 1956, it weighed
750 pounds.
1956 First reference in print to the drink Bloody Mary appeared in 'Punch'
1957 Velcro was patented by George de Mestral of Switzerland.
1957 Better Homes & Gardens prints its first microwave-cooking article.
1957 Margarine sales exceed butter sales for the first time.
1957 General Foods Corp. introduces TANG breakfast beverage crystals.
1957 Dairy Queen Hamburgers and Hot Dogs are first added to the Dairy Queen
menu at some outlets in Georgia.
1958 Friskees introduced the first dry cat food
1958 Rice-A-Roni goes on sale. Produced by Vince DeDomenico from an Armenian
family recipe.
1958 Cocoa Puffs is introduced by General Mills; it contains 43% sugar.
1958 Cocoa Krispies is introduced by Kellogg’s - it's 45.9% sugar.
1958 There are 4,063 drive in movie screens nationwide.
1958 Jolly Green Giant was born. He appears on TV, but he looks like a monster
and scares kids. So they lighten him up a bit, added 'Ho, ho, ho' and and a
catchy jingle.
1958 Sweet n' Low was introduced as an artificial sweetener (granulated
saccharin, dextrose, cream of tartar and calcium silicate). It received U.S.
trademark patent no. 1,000,000.
1958 Frank Carney, 18 years old, reads about the pizza fad with college
students. He borrows $600 from his mother and opens the first Pizza Hut in
Wichita, Kansas.
1958 McDonald's sold its 100 millionth hamburger.
1959 Bic Pens are introduced in the U.S. Europe has had them since 1952.
1959 Oklahoma repeals its 51 year old Prohibition law leaving Mississippi the
only 'dry' state in America.
1959 The heavy, fudge-like Chocolate Velvet Cake was created by pastry chef
Albert Kumin of the Four Seasons restaurant.
1959 There are 32,000 supermarkets in the U.S. and account for 69 percent of
all food store sales.
1959 The aluminum beer can is introduced by Coors of Golden, Colorado.
1959 The one billionth can of Spam was sold.
1959 McDonald's opens its 100th restaurant in Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin.
1960 Dr. Asselbergs developed the process for making instant mashed potato
flakes, the basic process that is still used today.
1961 'Boiling Bags' were introduced - frozen plastic packages of food that can
be dropped in boiling water to heat them for serving.
1961 Teflon coated frying pans were introduced.
1961 A technique for tenderizing beef was patented. It involved injecting
papain, an enzyme made from papaya, directly into the bloodstream of living
animals.
1961 Omar Knedlik of Coffeyville, Kansas invented the first frozen carbonated
drink machine.
1961 Carpaccio was invented in 1961 at Harry's Bar in Venice, Italy. It was
named for the Renaissance painter Vittore Carpaccio who was noted for his use
of red in his paintings. Thin sliced raw beef served with a cold vinaigrette
made with olive oil, or just olive oil and lemon juice (and sometimes Parmesan
cheese). Generally served on a bed of greens such as watercresss, endive,
arugula and/or radicchio. Originally the beef was seared quickly, and the
seared portion then trimmed off before slicing.
1962 The pull tab for beverage cans is introduced.
1962 Powdered butter was developed in Australia.
1963 Fruit Loops breakfast cereal is introduced.
1963 Irradiation was used for the first time to sterilize dried fruits and
vegetables.
1963 The one billionth McDonald's hamburger was served by Ray Kroc on the Art
Linkletter Show.
1964 The first 12 oz aluminum can was introduced by Royal Crown Cola. It wasn't
until 3 years later that Coke started using the aluminum can.
1965 Cool Whip, a whipped cream substitute, was introduced by General Foods.
1967 Gatorade, the original sports drink, is developed by the University of
Florida for their football team.
1967 Plastic milk bottles are introduced.
1967 Wisconsin was the last state to allow coloring to be added to margarine.
1968 The Big Mac was introduced at McDonalds for 49 cents.
1969 Pringles potato chips were introduced - made from dehydrated, mashed
potatoes.
1970 Hamburger Helper was introduced
1971 The Quarter Pounder was introduced at McDonald's for 53 cents.
1971 The home food processor, Le Magi-Mix, was introduced in Paris by Pierre
Verdon, also the inventor of the restaurant version, Robot-Coupe.
1972 Andy MacElhone creates the Blue Lagoon cocktail. He is the son of Harry of
Harry's Bar in Paris.
1972 Hyman Golden and Leonard Marsh introduce Snapple Fruit Juices in New York.

1973 American Carl Sontheimer refined the French made Robot-Coupe and came up
with the Cuisinart.
1973 Nathaniel Weyth received patent for PET (polyethylene terephthalate)
beverage bottles. This was the first safe plastic strong enough to hold
carbonated beverages without bursting.
1974 The stay-on tab for beverage cans was invented.
1974 Pop Rocks were unveiled by General Foods. Ever since 1956, when company
research chemist William Mitchell found a way to put carbon dioxide into a
solid, General Foods searched for a way to market the invention. The popping,
crackling candy turns out to be worth the wait; in only five years the company
will have sold 500 million packets of Pop Rocks.
1976 There are no red M&Ms from 1976 to 1987
1978 Ben & Jerry’s Homemade Ice Cream and Crepes opens.
1979 Paul Prudhomme opened K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen.
1981 Lean Cuisine frozen dinners were introduced.
1981 The artificial sweetener aspartame was approved by the FDA.
1981 The Yukon Gold potato was introduced.
1981 Jell-O Gelatin Pops were introduced
1981 Radicchio (a red variety of chicory) was first grown commercially in this
country in 1981 in California.
1982 Newman's Own Food is founded by Paul Newman and he devotes the profits to
charity.
1982 Wolfgang Puck opens Spago.
1984 Sugar Free Jell-O is introduced.
1985 Coca Cola introduces its new formula - no one wants it.
1986 Pop Secret Microwave Popcorn in introduced by General Mills.
1987 Red M&Ms return. There were none since 1976.
1987 Snapple Iced Tea drinks are introduced.
1987 The alligator was designated the official state reptile of Florida in 1987

1987 North Carolina adopted milk as the official state beverage.
1990 Cook's Magazine folds.
1990 Eating Well magazine begins publication.
1991 Salsa sales overtakes ketchup sales for the first time ($sales)
1992 Electric bread machines are introduced.
1993 SnackWell's reduced-fat cookies are introduced.
1993 The Food Network premiers on television.
1995 Betty Crocker gets her own website.
1995 Blue M&Ms are introduced.
1996 Olestra fat substitute is approved.
1998 In West Virginia if you run over a animal, you can legally take it home
and cook it for dinner. A law passed in 1998 lets drivers keep their road kill,
as long as they report it within 12 hours. According to supporters of the new
law, the state will the save money that had been used to have Highway Division
employees remove dead animals from the road.

Dana Carpender

Nov 11, 2004, 11:46:06 AM11/11/04

Lars Eighner wrote:

> Can anyone tell me when this business of green-bean casserole being
> a holiday tradition started? It is pretty obviously a marketing ploy
> of the people who make that canned onion-like substance, but I'm
> pretty sure I can remember when no one had heard of any such thing.
> Yet the commercials suggesting that it is a tradition handed down
> from Great Grandma will start running soon.

I long ago realize that anything that has lasted one generation is now
called a "tradition" in our country. Kinda pathetic, really.

I'd rather have Beans Almandine, myself. That's *our* family tradition.

Dana

Dana Carpender

Nov 11, 2004, 11:48:29 AM11/11/04

minmei wrote:

I never had it until, what, my late twenties, early thirties? It's
okay. I'd rate it no better than that. But then, I'm not of the school
that feels that "dump in canned mushroom soup and bake" constitutes a
recipe.

Dana

kay w

Nov 11, 2004, 11:57:15 AM11/11/04
Previously, and snipped:

Dana:

>But then, I'm not of the school
>that feels that "dump in canned mushroom soup and bake" constitutes a recipe.

On the other hand, there are those of us who think it's gourmet cookin' if I
have to open *two* cans for a single meal.

I do make a wonderful GBC, though, but with asparagus and maybe some GBs, and
chopped up water chestnuts, and peas. And the Durkees, of course.

That's the great thing about GBC; the only items really required are the
mushroom soup and the Durkees onions, and even those can be replaced by broken
crackers, in a pinch.

Dana Carpender

Nov 11, 2004, 12:17:33 PM11/11/04

Richard R. Hershberger wrote:

> Lars Eighner <eig...@io.com> wrote in message news:<slrncp63ng....@goodwill.io.com>...
>

>>Can anyone tell me when this business of green-bean casserole being
>>a holiday tradition started? It is pretty obviously a marketing ploy
>>of the people who make that canned onion-like substance, but I'm
>>pretty sure I can remember when no one had heard of any such thing.
>>Yet the commercials suggesting that it is a tradition handed down
>>from Great Grandma will start running soon.
>

> I can't answer your question, but I can make an irrelevent digression:
> ain't usenet grand! In any case, a surprising number of such
> traditions turn out, upon examination, to have started life as
> marketing ploys. The Hallmark holidays are obvious examples.

Indeed. Does anyone actually celebrate "Sweetest Day," fercryinoutloud?

Dana

Dave T

Nov 11, 2004, 12:22:43 PM11/11/04

I had never heard of it until I dated a girl from Michigan who was
alarmed I didn't celebrate Sweetest Day. Freak.

Dana Carpender

Nov 11, 2004, 12:31:22 PM11/11/04

kay w wrote:

> Previously,
>
> Lars:
>
>>Can anyone tell me when this business of green-bean casserole being
>>a holiday tradition started? It is pretty obviously a marketing ploy
>>of the people who make that canned onion-like substance, but I'm
>>pretty sure I can remember when no one had heard of any such thing.
>>Yet the commercials suggesting that it is a tradition handed down
>
>>from Great Grandma will start running soon.
>
> I can't speak for Great Grandma, but I remember being maybe 4 or 5, being
> allowed to help set the table, and for some reason picking up the GBC which
> burned me, so I dropped/threw it away from me.
> What a mess.
>
> This site says that Campbell (the soup people) developed the recipe for GBC in
> 1955, which would include (barely) my memory of the above.
>
> http://www.foodreference.com/html/html/yearonlytimeline1951-2000.html

I have a *huge* cookbook of recipes developed by various food interests
to sell their products. Many of them are quite good, though of course I
have to adapt most of them a bit.

Also have The New Joy of Jell-O. Lots of great recipes in there that
are pretty easy to adapt.

Dana

Blinky the Shark

Nov 11, 2004, 12:38:19 PM11/11/04
minmei wrote:

First time I heard of it as a holiday thing was when I was going to the
store and my neighbor asked me to pick up the ingredients for some if
it, for her, while I was there. That would've been in the early 1990s.
I was aware of it; I think grandma shark used to make it when I was but
wee; but my neighbor's description of it - and, once I got there, the
store's marketing of it - was my first exposure to it as holiday fare.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Go Blue

minmei

Nov 11, 2004, 12:48:28 PM11/11/04

"kay w" <scu...@aol.comatose> wrote in message

> If anyone cares, here's the list from the web site I mentioned in my
previous
> post...this is the list from 1950 - 2000.

snip

> 1987 Red M&Ms return. There were none since 1976.

cause this was when they figured out a new dye that wasn't fricken
cancerous, McDonald's straws suddenly got their red back too.
minmei

Boron Elgar

Nov 11, 2004, 2:05:54 PM11/11/04
On 11 Nov 2004 16:36:15 GMT, scu...@aol.comatose (kay w) wrote:

>If anyone cares, here's the list from the web site I mentioned in my previous
>post...this is the list from 1950 - 2000.

These are priceless and several deserve comment

>1950 The first credit card, the Diners Club was created by Frank McNamara after
>he realized he had forgotten his wallet after dining at a restaurant.

And perhaps Mr. McNamara's Diners card was smack in the middle of the
same wallet he forgot to tote along.

>1950 Minute Rice is introduced.

Very rough ballpark here...that was about 28,382,400 minutes ago.

.
>1952 Sugar Frosted Flakes, 29 percent sugar, are introduced by Kelloggs.

First child to bounce off the wall was only a few weeks later.

.
>1952 Howard Johnson's becomes the world’s largest food chain when it opens
>its 351st restaurant.

And I miss those "clam strips" and coffee brandy ice bream to this
day.

>1952 Pream, a powdered nondairy coffee lightener is introduced.
>1953 Dow Chemical creates Saran Wrap

Do you think that PReam came from Dow, too?

>1953 Kraft Cheez Whiz is introduced as a shortcut for homemakers making Welsh
>rarebit.

Now *that* is niche marketing at its tightest.

>1953 White Rose Redi-tea is the world's first instant iced tea.
>1953 Irish Coffee is supposedly created by a bartender Joe Sheridan at Shannon
>Airport.
>1953 Sugar Smacks are introduced - they contained 56% sugar.

And all other kids that hadn't bounced off the wall yet, proceeded to
do so.

>1954 'Let's Eat Right to Keep Fit' by Adele Davis is published, one of the
>earliest health food books.

Last time I saw her was an appearance with Johnny Carson and she was
coughing like she was tubercular.

>1956 80% of U.S. households have a refrigerator, but only 8% of British
>households do.

No wonder they like their beer warm.

>1956 The largest clam ever recorded was found in Okinawa in 1956, it weighed
>750 pounds.

And Howard Johnson was unable to buy it & turn it into clam strips.

>1957 General Foods Corp. introduces TANG breakfast beverage crystals.

Dam good thing this happened or our space program would have been in
jeopardy before it began.

>1958 There are 4,063 drive in movie screens nationwide.

sigh. I miss them.

>1959 The one billionth can of Spam was sold.

In Hawaii?

>1961 Teflon coated frying pans were introduced.

Spelling death to pet birds everywhere.

>1961 Omar Knedlik of Coffeyville, Kansas invented the first frozen carbonated
>drink machine.

He also gets World Prize for funniest name.

>1962 The pull tab for beverage cans is introduced.

NOthin' funny about this. This is serious.

>1972 Hyman Golden and Leonard Marsh introduce Snapple Fruit Juices in New York.

Oy! Such a deal!

>1979 Paul Prudhomme opened K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen.

And he has been there ever since, as they built it around him.

>1984 Sugar Free Jell-O is introduced.

A favorite of mine.

>1985 Coca Cola introduces its new formula - no one wants it.

No one listened to my research.

>1996 Olestra fat substitute is approved.

Anal leakage.

>1998 In West Virginia if you run over a animal, you can legally take it home
>and cook it for dinner. A law passed in 1998 lets drivers keep their road kill,
>as long as they report it within 12 hours. According to supporters of the new
>law, the state will the save money that had been used to have Highway Division
>employees remove dead animals from the road.

Sorry, I know you had an accident and need company for dinner, but
I'll pass, ok?

Boron

Mark Steese

Nov 11, 2004, 2:54:12 PM11/11/04
Dave T <dte...@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote in news:cn078l$pb2$1
@peabody.colorado.edu:

>>> I can't answer your question, but I can make an irrelevent digression:
>>> ain't usenet grand! In any case, a surprising number of such
>>> traditions turn out, upon examination, to have started life as
>>> marketing ploys. The Hallmark holidays are obvious examples.
>>
>> Indeed. Does anyone actually celebrate "Sweetest Day," fercryinoutloud?
>
> I had never heard of it until I dated a girl from Michigan who was
> alarmed I didn't celebrate Sweetest Day. Freak.

I'd never heard of it until I read this thread. Lordy. I'd sooner celebrate
Festivus - it has a really kickin' Ben & Jerry's flavor going for it.
(Seasonal only, those bastards.)
--
Mark Steese
Unscramble and underscore to email

Tank

Nov 11, 2004, 3:09:03 PM11/11/04

"kay w" <scu...@aol.comatose> wrote in message

> 1998 In West Virginia if you run over a animal, you can legally take it
home
> and cook it for dinner. A law passed in 1998 lets drivers keep their road
kill,
> as long as they report it within 12 hours. According to supporters of the
new
> law, the state will the save money that had been used to have Highway
Division
> employees remove dead animals from the road.
> --

Data Point - During the 1960's, 1970's and into the 1980's, in
John "Doc" Stone's Biology Class at Perkins High School, in
Sandusky, Ohio, you could get extra credit points for eating the
"Roadkill Stew" he would make on occasion. You could tell
when Doc was cooking, because the whole Junior Wing would
smell waaaayyy better than the cafeteria ever did. You were not
obligated to eat the stew, and he NEVER told what was in it until
after the classes had an opportunity to try it. Doc's stew was famous
far & wide. He made it in the Science Lab, on a hot plate. And it
always contained either game the Doc had shot himself, or fresh
road kill he brought in that very day.

Alas, I never took Biology at PHS.

--
Tank

This Space To Let. Class of 1977.

groo

Nov 11, 2004, 6:05:58 PM11/11/04
Mark Steese <makes...@charter.net> wrote in

> Dave T <dte...@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote in news:cn078l$pb2$1
> @peabody.colorado.edu:

>>> Indeed. Does anyone actually celebrate "Sweetest Day,"
>>> fercryinoutloud?
>>
>> I had never heard of it until I dated a girl from Michigan who was
>> alarmed I didn't celebrate Sweetest Day. Freak.
>
> I'd never heard of it until I read this thread. Lordy. I'd sooner
> celebrate Festivus - it has a really kickin' Ben & Jerry's flavor
> going for it. (Seasonal only, those bastards.)

I'd never heard of it either. Does anyone have a list of the "Hallmark
holidays"?

--
"I've noticed that when I use rational analyses of situations that ignore
the emotional aspects, people become hostile. This is because they are

groo

Nov 11, 2004, 6:10:03 PM11/11/04
Boron Elgar <boron...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> On 11 Nov 2004 16:36:15 GMT, scu...@aol.comatose (kay w) wrote:
>
>>>1961 Teflon coated frying pans were introduced.
>
> Spelling death to pet birds everywhere.

How come? Did the birds survive being fried in regular pans?

Dana Carpender

Nov 11, 2004, 6:27:26 PM11/11/04

groo wrote:

> Mark Steese <makes...@charter.net> wrote in
>

>>Dave T <dte...@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote in news:cn078l$pb2$1
>>@peabody.colorado.edu:

>>>I had never heard of it until I dated a girl from Michigan who was
>>>alarmed I didn't celebrate Sweetest Day. Freak.
>>
>>I'd never heard of it until I read this thread. Lordy. I'd sooner
>>celebrate Festivus - it has a really kickin' Ben & Jerry's flavor
>>going for it. (Seasonal only, those bastards.)
>

> I'd never heard of it either. Does anyone have a list of the "Hallmark
> holidays"?

I'd include Mother-in-law's Day, Boss's Day, Grandparents' Day, and
Secretary's Day, unless it's celebrated by giving your secretary a raise.

Dana

Dana Carpender

Nov 11, 2004, 6:32:38 PM11/11/04

Dana Carpender wrote:

Googled on "Hallmark Holidays" and found a brand new one I'm thinking
all the guys will get behind: March 20th is now officially "Steak and
Blowjob Day."

Dana

Max C. Webster III

Nov 11, 2004, 6:40:35 PM11/11/04
Dana Carpender <dcar...@kivanospam.net> done said:

> Googled on "Hallmark Holidays" and found a brand new one I'm thinking
> all the guys will get behind: March 20th is now officially "Steak and
> Blowjob Day."

Your post is offensive to vegan lesbians.

- Max -
=======
In the future, everyone will be hyperlinked for fifteen minutes.
http://hometown.aol.com/maxx2112/

Just Say No to 6:5 Blackjack!
http://www.cafepress.com/justsaynoto6to5/

Kim

Nov 11, 2004, 6:57:32 PM11/11/04
kay w wrote:
> Previously, and snipped:
>
> Dana:
>> But then, I'm not of the school
>> that feels that "dump in canned mushroom soup and bake" constitutes
>> a recipe.
>
> On the other hand, there are those of us who think it's gourmet
> cookin' if I have to open *two* cans for a single meal.
>
> I do make a wonderful GBC, though, but with asparagus and maybe some
> GBs, and chopped up water chestnuts, and peas. And the Durkees, of
> course.
>
> That's the great thing about GBC; the only items really required are
> the mushroom soup and the Durkees onions, and even those can be
> replaced by broken crackers, in a pinch.

Well, the mushroom soup isn't really *required*, either. I hate mushrooms,
so I use either cream of celery or cheddar cheese soup, whichever I have on
hand. Hubby likes it either way.

And I use frozen beans, not canned ones, just because I hate any veggies in
a can - too mushy. It's either fresh or frozen, for me.

--
Kim
nyhouse.blogspot.com

*I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your
right to say it. *Your* death, that is. (Tristan Fabriani)*

kay w

Nov 11, 2004, 7:06:50 PM11/11/04
Previously,

Me(kay):

>> That's the great thing about GBC; the only items really required are
>> the mushroom soup and the Durkees onions, and even those can be
>> replaced by broken crackers, in a pinch.

Kim:

>Well, the mushroom soup isn't really *required*, either. I hate mushrooms,
>so I use either cream of celery or cheddar cheese soup, whichever I have on
>hand. Hubby likes it either way.
>
>And I use frozen beans, not canned ones, just because I hate any veggies in
>a can - too mushy. It's either fresh or frozen, for me.

See? What a marvelous, flexible recipe!

I never thought about frozen veggies; I bet that works well.

The cream of onion soup can also be substituted.

(We also put in a little bit of buttermilk, but usualy don't mention it; for
some reason knowing about the buttermilk upsets people.....)

groo

Nov 11, 2004, 7:36:10 PM11/11/04
"Kim" <flhs...@adelphia.net> wrote in

> And I use frozen beans, not canned ones, just because I hate any
> veggies in a can - too mushy. It's either fresh or frozen, for me.

Canned vegetables are, in general, an abomination. Canned green beans are
particularly heinous.

groo

Nov 11, 2004, 7:38:09 PM11/11/04
maxx...@aol.com.mil.gov (Max C. Webster III) wrote in

> Dana Carpender <dcar...@kivanospam.net> done said:
>
>> Googled on "Hallmark Holidays" and found a brand new one I'm thinking
>> all the guys will get behind: March 20th is now officially "Steak and
>> Blowjob Day."
>
> Your post is offensive to vegan lesbians.

Screw the vegan lesbians. I say, make every day March 20th!

--
Y'all can talk like a pirate on your own time.

Max C. Webster III

Nov 11, 2004, 7:44:48 PM11/11/04
groo <gr...@groo.org> done said:

> maxx...@aol.com.mil.gov (Max C. Webster III) wrote:
>
>> Dana Carpender <dcar...@kivanospam.net> done said:
>>
>>> Googled on "Hallmark Holidays" and found a brand new one I'm thinking
>>> all the guys will get behind: March 20th is now officially "Steak and
>>> Blowjob Day."
>>
>> Your post is offensive to vegan lesbians.
>
> Screw the vegan lesbians.

Um . . . I think they may have a problem with you slipping them the meat.

> I say, make every day March 20th!

And if we have any beer left over from St. Patrick's Day, all the better.

Dana Carpender

Nov 11, 2004, 7:52:16 PM11/11/04

groo wrote:

> "Kim" <flhs...@adelphia.net> wrote in
>

>>And I use frozen beans, not canned ones, just because I hate any
>>veggies in a can - too mushy. It's either fresh or frozen, for me.
>

> Canned vegetables are, in general, an abomination. Canned green beans are
> particularly heinous.

They're okay in bean salad. But other than that, yeah, they suck.

Dana

Alan Hamilton

Nov 11, 2004, 7:01:14 PM11/11/04

There's always "The Gallery of Regrettable Food",
http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html .
"Cooking with Dr Pepper", anyone?
--
/
/ * / Alan Hamilton

Boron Elgar

Nov 11, 2004, 8:36:30 PM11/11/04

Yes...I agree...3 bean salad is fine with all canned veggies. I don't
think I could stand to look at them without onion, garlic &
vinaigrette.

Boron

Dana Carpender

Nov 11, 2004, 8:44:04 PM11/11/04

Boron Elgar wrote:

I do two bean, green and wax, with red onion. I'd use frozen beans
instead, if I could find frozen wax beans. No such luck. No fresh
ones, either, except now and then in the summer at the farmer's market.

Dana

Jerry Bauer

Nov 11, 2004, 8:59:40 PM11/11/04
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:05:54 -0800, Boron Elgar wrote
(in article <bcc7p0976909k70p3...@4ax.com>):

> ice bream

Is that Mrs. Paul's or Gorton's?

Boron Elgar

Nov 11, 2004, 9:04:00 PM11/11/04
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 01:44:04 GMT, Dana Carpender
<dcar...@kivanospam.net> wrote:

It is even hard to find seed for them locally. I have had to send away
when I've wanted to grow wax beans.

Boron

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Nov 11, 2004, 9:08:28 PM11/11/04
Lars Eighner wrote:

> Can anyone tell me when this business of green-bean casserole being
> a holiday tradition started? It is pretty obviously a marketing ploy
> of the people who make that canned onion-like substance, but I'm
> pretty sure I can remember when no one had heard of any such thing.
> Yet the commercials suggesting that it is a tradition handed down
> from Great Grandma will start running soon.

If you mean the one made with julienned green beans mixed with
a can of cream of mushroom soup and covered with crumbled potato
chips or fried chinese noodles, my mother used to make it as one
of the dishes for Thanksgiving Dinner back in the 1940s.

Charles

Boron Elgar

Nov 11, 2004, 9:21:02 PM11/11/04
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:59:40 -0800, Jerry Bauer <use...@bauerstar.com>
wrote:

Clam strips, ice bream...same diff.

Boron

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Nov 11, 2004, 9:21:32 PM11/11/04
Kim wrote:

> And I use frozen beans, not canned ones, just because I hate any veggies in
> a can - too mushy. It's either fresh or frozen, for me.

Just checked my old Fanny Farmer cookbook, circa 1917. It recommended
cooking string beans for 1 to 3 hours in boiling salted water.

Yccch! I cook mine for about 15 minutes, at most. If small
enough and fresh enough, about 11 minutes.

charles

Missbeckett

Nov 11, 2004, 9:50:38 PM11/11/04
wrote in:

>Can anyone tell me when this business of green-bean casserole being
>a holiday tradition started?

About 50 years ago; not by the onion people, as you theorized, but the soup
people:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2002_Nov_6/ai_94006434

Some snippage:
"When we created Green Bean Casserole, our goal was to develop an easy recipe
featuring a few simple ingredients. And most home cooks had green beans and
Cream of Mushroom soup on hand at all times," said Reilly, who is
affectionately referred to as the "grandmother" of the famous recipe. "Great
taste and simplicity never go out of style, and today's home cooks still look
to create great meals with ingredients that are readily available. That's why I
think the casserole has become a tradition for so many families over the
years."

and:
Originally known as Green Bean Bake when it debuted in 1955, today's Green Bean
Casserole recipe is requested from Campbell's Kitchen by more than 10,000 home
cooks each year, but most frequently during the holiday season. In recent
years, the holiday requests piled so high, Campbell's began printing the recipe
on the inside of each Cream of Mushroom soup label.

Hope this helps!
Beckett
--
"Ah, yes - but just because I'm frivolous doesn't mean I lack intellect. After
all, anyone can get the *meat* of it all, the secret of life is in the *sauce*.

Hank Gillette

Nov 11, 2004, 10:12:51 PM11/11/04
In article <X_-dnT7oH4D...@comcast.com>,
"minmei" <min...@nospam.net> wrote:

> > 1987 Red M&Ms return. There were none since 1976.
>
> cause this was when they figured out a new dye that wasn't fricken
> cancerous, McDonald's straws suddenly got their red back too.

IIRC, M&Ms never used the infamous Red Dye #2. They stopped making them
anyway because of consumer fears. When they started producing them
again, the red was a dark, dull color red, nothing like the almost
fluorescent red that M&Ms had in days of yore.

--
Hank Gillette

kay w

Nov 11, 2004, 10:28:20 PM11/11/04
Previously,

charles:

>Just checked my old Fanny Farmer cookbook, circa 1917. It recommended
>cooking string beans for 1 to 3 hours in boiling salted water.
>Yccch! I cook mine for about 15 minutes, at most. If small
>enough and fresh enough, about 11 minutes.

Green beans are supposed to be cooked at least that long, with some fatback.
Actually, they're better cooked at least that long, left on the back of the
stove until the next day, and reheated.
Just like turnip greens, except you don't have to wash them as much.

Dan Hillman

Nov 11, 2004, 10:32:37 PM11/11/04
Dana Carpender <dcar...@kivanospam.net> wrote:

> Googled on "Hallmark Holidays" and found a brand new one I'm thinking
> all the guys will get behind: March 20th is now officially "Steak and
> Blowjob Day."

*Every* day is Steak and Blowjob Day, but only September 19th is Talk
Like a Pirate Day.

Arrrrr!

--
Dan Hillman hil...@quahog.org http://quahog.org/hillman/

Hank Gillette

Nov 11, 2004, 10:34:37 PM11/11/04
In article <2vihp4F...@uni-berlin.de>,
Alan Hamilton <al...@arizonaroads.com> wrote:

> There's always "The Gallery of Regrettable Food",
> http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html .
> "Cooking with Dr Pepper", anyone?

"Beef makes the crust". Sounds like something out of one of Dana's
cookbooks.

--
Hank Gillette

Dana Carpender

Nov 12, 2004, 12:26:05 AM11/12/04

Charles Wm. Dimmick wrote:

Clearly you're not making the Sacred Masonic Vegetable -- green beans
seriously overcooked with bacon. Actually fairly tasty, but *nothing*
like the green beans I grew up with.

Dana

Dana Carpender

Nov 12, 2004, 12:29:42 AM11/12/04

kay w wrote:

> Previously,
>
> charles:
>
>>Just checked my old Fanny Farmer cookbook, circa 1917. It recommended
>>cooking string beans for 1 to 3 hours in boiling salted water.
>>Yccch! I cook mine for about 15 minutes, at most. If small
>>enough and fresh enough, about 11 minutes.
>

> Green beans are supposed to be cooked at least that long, with some fatback.
> Actually, they're better cooked at least that long, left on the back of the
> stove until the next day, and reheated.
> Just like turnip greens, except you don't have to wash them as much.

I like frozen French cut beans, nuked about 8-9 minutes on high, and
mixed with slivered almonds sauteed in butter. Ambrosia.

Dana

Dana Carpender

Nov 12, 2004, 12:30:52 AM11/12/04

Dan Hillman wrote:

> Dana Carpender <dcar...@kivanospam.net> wrote:
>

>>Googled on "Hallmark Holidays" and found a brand new one I'm thinking
>>all the guys will get behind: March 20th is now officially "Steak and
>>Blowjob Day."
>

> *Every* day is Steak and Blowjob Day, but only September 19th is Talk
> Like a Pirate Day.
>
> Arrrrr!

But is there a Talk Like A Pirate While Eating a Steak and Receiving a
Blowjob Day?

Dana

Dana Carpender

Nov 12, 2004, 12:31:26 AM11/12/04

Hank Gillette wrote:

At least two of them!

Dana

kay w

Nov 12, 2004, 12:34:56 AM11/12/04
Previously,

Me(kay):

>> Green beans are supposed to be cooked at least that long, with some fatback.

>> Actually, they're better cooked at least that long, left on the back of the
>> stove until the next day, and reheated.
>> Just like turnip greens, except you don't have to wash them as much.

Dana:

>I like frozen French cut beans, nuked about 8-9 minutes on high, and
>mixed with slivered almonds sauteed in butter. Ambrosia.

<sigh> Yankees........

Dana Carpender

Nov 12, 2004, 12:44:41 AM11/12/04

kay w wrote:

> Previously,
>
> Me(kay):
>
>>>Green beans are supposed to be cooked at least that long, with some fatback.
>

>>>Actually, they're better cooked at least that long, left on the back of the
>>>stove until the next day, and reheated.
>>>Just like turnip greens, except you don't have to wash them as much.
>

> Dana:
>
>>I like frozen French cut beans, nuked about 8-9 minutes on high, and
>>mixed with slivered almonds sauteed in butter. Ambrosia.
>

> <sigh> Yankees........

Hey, I've tried green beans cooked forever with bacon. Have you tried
my Beans Almandine?

Dana

kay w

Nov 12, 2004, 12:54:43 AM11/12/04
Previously,

Me(kay):
>> <sigh> Yankees........

Dana:

>Hey, I've tried green beans cooked forever with bacon. Have you tried
>my Beans Almandine?

I've tried a lot of things you've suggested, and been pleased with 98% of them.

I still wish you'd develop a zero carb gummi bear recipe.

I also remember the first time I had some sort of blanched green beans and
whispering to my mother than my beans hadn't been cooked. I was *horrified*
because they were raw, and even crunched when chewed...I'd never seen such
abominations.

That breakfast mushroom thing of yours, though; that's deLISHious.

Lars Eighner

Nov 12, 2004, 1:00:08 AM11/12/04
In our last episode,
<20041112005443...@mb-m03.aol.com>,
the lovely and talented kay w
broadcast on alt.fan.cecil-adams:

> Previously,

> Me(kay):
>>> <sigh> Yankees........

> Dana:
>>Hey, I've tried green beans cooked forever with bacon. Have you tried
>>my Beans Almandine?

> I've tried a lot of things you've suggested, and been pleased with 98% of them.
>
> I still wish you'd develop a zero carb gummi bear recipe.

Hmm...you might start with sugar-free JELL-O made with half the
water.

> I also remember the first time I had some sort of blanched green beans and
> whispering to my mother than my beans hadn't been cooked. I was *horrified*
> because they were raw, and even crunched when chewed...I'd never seen such
> abominations.

> That breakfast mushroom thing of yours, though; that's deLISHious.

--
Lars Eighner -finger for geek code- eig...@io.com http://www.io.com/~eighner/
"With a heavy dose of fear and violence, and a lot of money for projects,
I think we can convince these people that we are here to help them"
-- Lt. Col. Nathan Sassaman

Lesmond

Nov 12, 2004, 1:11:38 AM11/12/04
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 00:36:10 GMT, groo wrote:

>"Kim" <flhs...@adelphia.net> wrote in
>
>> And I use frozen beans, not canned ones, just because I hate any
>> veggies in a can - too mushy. It's either fresh or frozen, for me.
>
>Canned vegetables are, in general, an abomination. Canned green beans are
>particularly heinous.

I used to feel the same way until my roommate and I took a roadtrip during
college. We took along lots of munchies. One of the things she brought was
a ziplock baggie filled with canned green beans mixed with french dressing.
She said "It's finger food."

I tried it, hesitantly. I was an instant convert.

She also introduced me to grape jelly on grilled cheese.

--
Powerful drugs could be insinuated into my soup.

Lesmond

Nov 12, 2004, 1:14:19 AM11/12/04
On 12 Nov 2004 00:06:50 GMT, kay w wrote:

>Previously,
>
>Me(kay):
>>> That's the great thing about GBC; the only items really required are
>>> the mushroom soup and the Durkees onions, and even those can be
>>> replaced by broken crackers, in a pinch.
>
>Kim:
>>Well, the mushroom soup isn't really *required*, either. I hate mushrooms,
>>so I use either cream of celery or cheddar cheese soup, whichever I have on
>>hand. Hubby likes it either way.

>>And I use frozen beans, not canned ones, just because I hate any veggies in
>>a can - too mushy. It's either fresh or frozen, for me.
>

>See? What a marvelous, flexible recipe!
>
>I never thought about frozen veggies; I bet that works well.
>
>The cream of onion soup can also be substituted.
>
>(We also put in a little bit of buttermilk, but usualy don't mention it; for
>some reason knowing about the buttermilk upsets people.....)

Am I the only one in this group who has never had anyone try to serve me
green bean cassarole? I mean, I've never even seen it in person.

Lesmond

Nov 12, 2004, 1:16:18 AM11/12/04

Ooooh...Dana, do a meat crust quiche!

Crashj

Nov 12, 2004, 9:36:19 AM11/12/04
On or about Thu, 11 Nov 2004 20:36:30 -0500, Boron Elgar
<boron_elg...@hotmail.com> wrote something like:

<>
>Yes...I agree...3 bean salad is fine with all canned veggies. I don't
>think I could stand to look at them without onion, garlic & vinaigrette.

Try it with a couple - three glasses of red wine.
"No, not in the casserole, you fool!"
--
Crashj

Crashj

Nov 12, 2004, 9:39:16 AM11/12/04
On or about Fri, 12 Nov 2004 02:21:32 GMT, "Charles Wm. Dimmick"
<cdim...@snet.net> wrote something like:

Yuke. Don't any of you people have a steamer?
"No vitamins left behind"
--
Crashj

Dana Carpender

Nov 12, 2004, 9:45:38 AM11/12/04

Lars Eighner wrote:

> In our last episode,
> <20041112005443...@mb-m03.aol.com>,
> the lovely and talented kay w
> broadcast on alt.fan.cecil-adams:
>

>>Previously,
>

>>Me(kay):

>>Dana:
>>
>>>Hey, I've tried green beans cooked forever with bacon. Have you tried
>>>my Beans Almandine?
>

>>I've tried a lot of things you've suggested, and been pleased with 98% of them.
>>
>>I still wish you'd develop a zero carb gummi bear recipe.
>

> Hmm...you might start with sugar-free JELL-O made with half the
> water.

Not quite the same, but that's an idea -- Kay, have you tried the Knox
Blox/Jell-O Jigglers route?

There are actually SF gummi bears on the market. However, since they're
practically pure polyol, you can count on a wicked case of the farts
from eating even two or three, and if you eat more, you may well get a
gut-cramping case of diarrhea.

Dana

Dana Carpender

Nov 12, 2004, 9:47:32 AM11/12/04

Lesmond wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 00:36:10 GMT, groo wrote:
>

>>"Kim" <flhs...@adelphia.net> wrote in
>>

>>>And I use frozen beans, not canned ones, just because I hate any
>>>veggies in a can - too mushy. It's either fresh or frozen, for me.
>>
>>Canned vegetables are, in general, an abomination. Canned green beans are
>>particularly heinous.
>

> I used to feel the same way until my roommate and I took a roadtrip during
> college. We took along lots of munchies. One of the things she brought was
> a ziplock baggie filled with canned green beans mixed with french dressing.
> She said "It's finger food."
>
> I tried it, hesitantly. I was an instant convert.

Is that the sweet red "French" dressing? Or real French dressing, ie,
vinaigrette?

> She also introduced me to grape jelly on grilled cheese.

Now that's just wrong.

Dana

Dana Carpender

Nov 12, 2004, 9:48:04 AM11/12/04

Lesmond wrote:

You're not missing much.

Dana

Dana Carpender

Nov 12, 2004, 9:49:24 AM11/12/04

Lesmond wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:34:37 -0500, Hank Gillette wrote:
>

>>In article <2vihp4F...@uni-berlin.de>,
>>Alan Hamilton <al...@arizonaroads.com> wrote:
>>

>>>There's always "The Gallery of Regrettable Food",
>>>http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html .
>>>"Cooking with Dr Pepper", anyone?
>>
>>"Beef makes the crust". Sounds like something out of one of Dana's
>>cookbooks.
>

> Ooooh...Dana, do a meat crust quiche!

That's not a bad idea...

Dana

Kim

Nov 12, 2004, 10:04:58 AM11/12/04
kay w wrote:
> Previously,
>
> Me(kay):
>>> Green beans are supposed to be cooked at least that long, with some
>>> fatback.
>
>>> Actually, they're better cooked at least that long, left on the
>>> back of the stove until the next day, and reheated.
>>> Just like turnip greens, except you don't have to wash them as much.
>
> Dana:
>> I like frozen French cut beans, nuked about 8-9 minutes on high, and
>> mixed with slivered almonds sauteed in butter. Ambrosia.
>

> <sigh> Yankees........

Hmmmm......must be, because that's the way I *always* do them. I didn't
think green beans could be served *without* almonds. My mother always served
them this way, as well. Except for the "nuked" part. I never nuke anything,
never think to. The only thing I use the microwave for is popcorn. And I'm
quite sure my mother never owned a microwave.

Of course, I always (courtesy of "that's the way mom did it") serve peas in
milk and butter, too.

--
Kim
nyhouse.blogspot.com

*I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your
right to say it. *Your* death, that is. (Tristan Fabriani)*

ra...@westnet.poe.com

Nov 12, 2004, 10:18:54 AM11/12/04

I presume that there was much herbal inducments to your appetitie at the
time?

John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Ask me about joining the NRA.

ra...@westnet.poe.com

Nov 12, 2004, 10:21:13 AM11/12/04
groo <gr...@groo.org> wrote:
> maxx...@aol.com.mil.gov (Max C. Webster III) wrote in

> > Dana Carpender <dcar...@kivanospam.net> done said:
> >
> >> Googled on "Hallmark Holidays" and found a brand new one I'm thinking
> >> all the guys will get behind: March 20th is now officially "Steak and
> >> Blowjob Day."
> >
> > Your post is offensive to vegan lesbians.

> Screw the vegan lesbians.

I've always enjoyed that, tho doubtless more than a few will object if we
make it general policy.

Dana Carpender

Nov 12, 2004, 10:28:07 AM11/12/04

Richard R. Hershberger wrote:

> Dana Carpender <dcar...@kivanospam.net> wrote in message news:<iHMkd.327293$wV.10876@attbi_s54>...

>>Lars Eighner wrote:
>>

>>>Can anyone tell me when this business of green-bean casserole being

>>>a holiday tradition started? It is pretty obviously a marketing ploy
>>>of the people who make that canned onion-like substance, but I'm
>>>pretty sure I can remember when no one had heard of any such thing.
>>>Yet the commercials suggesting that it is a tradition handed down
>>>from Great Grandma will start running soon.
>>>

>>I long ago realize that anything that has lasted one generation is now
>>called a "tradition" in our country. Kinda pathetic, really.
>

> I knew that too, but it really hit me during the planning for my
> wedding. The wedding industry--which I rate right up there with
> tobacco companies--loves faux traditions.

Billy Bragg got it right: "Those glossy catalogues of couples keep
cashing in on happiness again and again."

>>I'd rather have Beans Almandine, myself. That's *our* family tradition.
>

> I make a heck of a sauted leeks and onions dish which I have been
> known to bring to family occasions.

Care to share a recipe?

Dana

Dana Carpender

Nov 12, 2004, 10:33:56 AM11/12/04

Crashj wrote:

I have a microwave steamer. Got it for a buck at a yard sale. I use
the thing all the time. Rarely cook vegetables any other way.

Dana

minmei

Nov 12, 2004, 10:32:53 AM11/12/04

"Dana Carpender" <dcar...@kivanospam.net> wrote in message

July 24 - Cousin's Day
May 8 - Senior Citizen Day
Jan 8 - Postal Day
Sept 17 - Citizenship Day
Nov 17 - World Peace Day
Dec 1 - World AIDS Day
Nov 18 - Occult Day
minmei

minmei

Nov 12, 2004, 10:44:58 AM11/12/04

"Boron Elgar" <boron...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 11 Nov 2004 16:36:15 GMT, scu...@aol.comatose (kay w) wrote:

> >1998 In West Virginia if you run over a animal, you can legally take it
home
> >and cook it for dinner. A law passed in 1998 lets drivers keep their road
kill,
> >as long as they report it within 12 hours. According to supporters of the
new
> >law, the state will the save money that had been used to have Highway
Division
> >employees remove dead animals from the road.
>
> Sorry, I know you had an accident and need company for dinner, but
> I'll pass, ok?

My aunt & uncle & there ilk are up in Maine and they recently passed a
similar law, these are not rednecks by any means. They are educated folks
(relatively for this family) and originally from RI, and they can't see
letting a perfectly good moose rot, when they know what trouble it would be
to hunt for the blam'd thing. A lot of these things get hit on the back
roads and if you manage to live through the incident, it's kinda like the
special prize.
minmei

Kim

Nov 12, 2004, 11:25:16 AM11/12/04
Dana Carpender wrote:
> Kim wrote:

> See, and I don't understand why anyone microwaves popcorn. It's no
> faster than using a popper, it's infinitely more expensive, it's
> loaded
> with hydrogenated oils, and it's of inferior quality, with far more
> "old maids."

Habit, I think. Actually I like the old jiffy pop thing the best, with the
wire handle in the little frying pan? But they are increasingly harder to
find, these days. And as much as we eat popcorn, a box of the microwave kind
lasts a year.

> But I rarely cook vegetables any way *but* nuking them. I think it
> yields superior results.

I *never* think to do anything in the microwave. I'll even make hot
chocolate in a pan on the stove, and then, when I go to get the mug I'll see
the microwave and think "damn, I could have done this in there!" I just
never made it part of my routine, so I never remember to use it. Not that
I'm adverse to it, I just have to remember to do it that way, and I never
do. I guess it comes from growing up without one - never became a "way" to
do things.

And my Aunt had like every microwave dish known to man, so I have a whole
collection of them - bacon cookers, egg cookers, steamers, all types and
kinds and sizes of microwave bowls and dishes, I don't even know what some
of them are for. I'll just have to put the microwave in a prominent place in
the new kitchen, so I remember to cook stuff in it.

It's like grilling outside. We lived in Florida and *never* thought to grill
our hamburgs or chicken. Just never became a routine. I think we cooked
outside twice, and that was because a storm knocked out our power. We still
had the same propane in the tank that we bought with the grill 5 years
before.

"set in my ways", I guess.

Kim

Nov 12, 2004, 11:26:58 AM11/12/04
minmei wrote:

> Jan 8 - Postal Day

Well now, see, they wonder why people shoot up their co-workers, and there's
a whole day to commemorate it?

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Nov 12, 2004, 11:32:32 AM11/12/04
Crashj wrote:

Of course. I have three of them in fact. That's how
I cook the green beans. In fact, even when I use them
in stir-fry recipes I give them about 5 minutes in the
steamer first. Use it also for asparagus, and broccoli
and sometimes for brussels sprouts.

Charles

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Nov 12, 2004, 11:41:54 AM11/12/04
Kim wrote:

> I never nuke anything,
> never think to. The only thing I use the microwave for is popcorn. And I'm
> quite sure my mother never owned a microwave.

I make my favourite cassarole using the microwave:
1 lb. hot italian sausage
5 frying peppers or 1 very large bell pepper
1 cherry-hot pepper or 1/2 a cayenne pepper
1 large onion
1 26-oz [approx] can of crushed tomatoes
approximately 1 cup of cous-cous [or fine-cut bulgar]
about 3 oz of sharp cheddar cheese, diced fine.
rounded tablespoon of chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp of
dried basil.

put sausage links in covered cassarole dish and nuke for
about 3 minutes. Then cut links into 1-inch long pieces
and add finely chopped hot pepper. Nuke for another 3
minutes. Stir in chopped green peppers and onion;
nuke for another 3 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes;
nuke for another 3 minutes. Add cous-cous, basil, and
cheese, stir, and zap for another 2 minutes.

Charles

Dana Carpender

Nov 12, 2004, 11:44:10 AM11/12/04

Kim wrote:

I always microwave bacon, too. Never occurs to me to do it in a skillet
on the stovetop.

Then I pour out the excess grease, let the dogs lick the microwave bacon
rack, and stick it in the dishwasher. Simple!

If you'd like to try it, start with 1 minute on high per slice, then
calibrate for your microwave.

Dana

kay w

Nov 12, 2004, 11:49:31 AM11/12/04
Previously:

Lesmond:

>> Am I the only one in this group who has never had anyone try to serve me
>> green bean cassarole? I mean, I've never even seen it in person.

Dana:

>You're not missing much.

Dana's out of her mind. A good GBC is a delicious thing, refrigerates well (if
there's any left, which there usually isn't) and reheats well. Yummy yum yum.
For a holiday meal, I'd rather have that than the turkey,

kay w

Nov 12, 2004, 11:54:42 AM11/12/04
Previously,

Me(kay):

>>>I still wish you'd develop a zero carb gummi bear recipe.

Lars:

>> Hmm...you might start with sugar-free JELL-O made with half the
>> water.

Dana:

>Not quite the same, but that's an idea -- Kay, have you tried the Knox
>Blox/Jell-O Jigglers route?
>
>There are actually SF gummi bears on the market. However, since they're
>practically pure polyol, you can count on a wicked case of the farts
>from eating even two or three, and if you eat more, you may well get a
>gut-cramping case of diarrhea.

Well, as much as I love the fruit-flavored gummi things, I was hoping for
something without the side effects....

I may give it a shot, even though I think there's a need for a low-carb dessert
sweetie chewey Please-dear-god-don't-make-me-eat-any-more-meat-right-now recipe
book. Oh, if *only* there were a nationally-known low-carb author around to
take on the challenge.....

Dana Carpender

Nov 12, 2004, 12:04:45 PM11/12/04

kay w wrote:

> Previously:
>
> Lesmond:
>
>>>Am I the only one in this group who has never had anyone try to serve me
>>>green bean cassarole? I mean, I've never even seen it in person.
>

> Dana:
>
>>You're not missing much.
>

> Dana's out of her mind.

Dana prefers green beans that aren't mushy, and aren't in a thick sticky
sauce.

Dana

Rick B.

Nov 12, 2004, 12:12:34 PM11/12/04

"minmei" <min...@nospam.net> wrote in message

> My aunt & uncle & there ilk are up in Maine and they recently passed a
> similar law, these are not rednecks by any means. They are educated folks
> (relatively for this family) and originally from RI, and they can't see
> letting a perfectly good moose rot, when they know what trouble it would
be
> to hunt for the blam'd thing. A lot of these things get hit on the back
> roads and if you manage to live through the incident, it's kinda like the
> special prize.

Years ago I saw a car with Maine plates and these two bumper stickers:

"Brake For Moose--It Could Save Your Life!"
"Don't Brake For Moose--It Could Fill Your Freezer!"

Dan Hillman

Nov 12, 2004, 12:47:34 PM11/12/04
Dana Carpender <dcar...@kivanospam.net> wrote:

> > Arrrrr!
>
> But is there a Talk Like A Pirate While Eating a Steak and Receiving a
> Blowjob Day?

God, I hope so.

--
Dan Hillman hil...@quahog.org http://quahog.org/hillman/

Lesmond

Nov 12, 2004, 1:03:37 PM11/12/04
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:18:54 GMT, ra...@westnet.poe.com wrote:

>Lesmond <les...@verizon.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 00:36:10 GMT, groo wrote:
>> >"Kim" <flhs...@adelphia.net> wrote in

>> >Canned vegetables are, in general, an abomination. Canned green beans are
>> >particularly heinous.
>
>> I used to feel the same way until my roommate and I took a roadtrip during
>> college. We took along lots of munchies. One of the things she brought was
>> a ziplock baggie filled with canned green beans mixed with french dressing.
>> She said "It's finger food."
>
>> I tried it, hesitantly. I was an instant convert.
>
>> She also introduced me to grape jelly on grilled cheese.
>
>I presume that there was much herbal inducments to your appetitie at the
>time?

Not *all* the time.

Lesmond

Nov 12, 2004, 1:05:07 PM11/12/04

Well, it sure isn't low carb.

groo

Nov 12, 2004, 3:34:00 PM11/12/04

> Dana prefers green beans that aren't mushy, and aren't in a thick
> sticky sauce.

Dana smart. Dana have good taste.

--
Don't know if Dana taste good.

Crashj

Nov 12, 2004, 4:11:25 PM11/12/04
On or about Fri, 12 Nov 2004 05:30:52 GMT, Dana Carpender
<dcar...@kivanospam.net> wrote something like:

>Dan Hillman wrote:
>> Dana Carpender <dcar...@kivanospam.net> wrote:
>>>Googled on "Hallmark Holidays" and found a brand new one I'm thinking
>>>all the guys will get behind: March 20th is now officially "Steak and
>>>Blowjob Day."
>> *Every* day is Steak and Blowjob Day, but only September 19th is Talk
>> Like a Pirate Day.
>> Arrrrr!
>But is there a Talk Like A Pirate While Eating a Steak and Receiving a
>Blowjob Day?

Arrgh!Arrgh!Arrgh!Arrgh!Arrgh!Arrgh!Arrgh!Arrgh!Arrgh!

Thank ye matey.
--
Crashj

Dana Carpender

Nov 12, 2004, 4:24:19 PM11/12/04

groo wrote:

> Dana Carpender <dcar...@kivanospam.net> wrote in
>

>>Dana prefers green beans that aren't mushy, and aren't in a thick
>>sticky sauce.
>

> Dana smart. Dana have good taste.

Dana had nice tender-crisp green beans with butter and salt with her
lunch. Yummy.

Dana

Rick B.

Nov 12, 2004, 4:30:28 PM11/12/04

"Lesmond" <les...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> >Lesmond <les...@verizon.net> wrote:

Post/.sig match of the day...

Richard R. Hershberger

Nov 12, 2004, 4:17:44 PM11/12/04
Dana Carpender <dcar...@kivanospam.net> wrote in message news:<bE4ld.89135$R05.23064@attbi_s53>...
> Richard R. Hershberger wrote:

> >>I'd rather have Beans Almandine, myself. That's *our* family tradition.
> >

> > I make a heck of a sauted leeks and onions dish which I have been
> > known to bring to family occasions.
> >

> Care to share a recipe?

"Recipe" is probably too strong a word. It is simply a pile of leeks,
a chopped onion or two, and garlic to taste sauted. Cook it in,
depending on how healthful you want to be, something ranging from
ridiculous amounts of butter to small amounts of olive oil. If you
saute veggies regularly you will have no problem knowing when they are
done. If you don't do this often, undercook at first and taste. But
don't worry too much: they are pretty sturdy.

This reheats well and travels well in a crock pot. The beauty of it
is that leeks are unusual enough that even a simple dish like this
will stand out, but they are available in good supermarkets and they
aren't so weird as to put people off.

If you have never cooked with leeks there is a trick to them, but
nothing rocket-sciency. Leeks are essentially giant scallions, and
you initially treat them the same. Cut off the bottom end and cut off
the top at some reasonable point above where it turns from white to
green. The trick is that leeks grow in sandy soil and they pick up
grit between the layers, so they need to be cleaned specially. Slice
the leek open lengthwise, so the slit goes to the center for the
entire length. This allows you to spread the layers open under
running water to get the grit out. For the dish I described, I then
slice the leek into disks maybe a quarter inch thick. They will fall
apart, but that's OK. There are other ways to cook them, such as
steaming them, where you leave them otherwise intact. If you serve
them that way you will want to provide a sharp knife, since they are
fibrous veggies.

Come to think of it, maybe I will stop at the market tonight...

Richard R. Hershberger

Bob Ward

Nov 12, 2004, 7:52:21 PM11/12/04

Everyone's out of step but Dana.

Dana Carpender

Nov 12, 2004, 7:51:45 PM11/12/04

Bob Ward wrote:

I'm not sure that "out of step" applies, Bob. But thanks for playing.

Dana

Bill Van

Nov 12, 2004, 8:04:51 PM11/12/04
In article <M6ydnbrSave...@adelphia.com>,
"Kim" <flhs...@adelphia.net> wrote:

> kay w wrote:
> > Previously,
> >
> > Me(kay):

> > Dana:
> >> I like frozen French cut beans, nuked about 8-9 minutes on high, and
> >> mixed with slivered almonds sauteed in butter. Ambrosia.
> >

> > <sigh> Yankees........
>
> Hmmmm......must be, because that's the way I *always* do them. I didn't
> think green beans could be served *without* almonds. My mother always served
> them this way, as well. Except for the "nuked" part. I never nuke anything,

> never think to. The only thing I use the microwave for is popcorn. And I'm
> quite sure my mother never owned a microwave.

No idea where I got it, but I used to sautee slivered almonds in a light
olive oil and spoon it over green beans. The olive oil picked up the
nutty taste very nicely, and would coat the beans without the
overwhelming richness of butter.

bill

Bill Van

Nov 12, 2004, 8:13:23 PM11/12/04
In article <bO4ld.329983$wV.1835@attbi_s54>,
Dana Carpender <dcar...@kivanospam.net> wrote:

> See, and I don't understand why anyone microwaves popcorn. It's no
> faster than using a popper, it's infinitely more expensive, it's loaded
> with hydrogenated oils, and it's of inferior quality, with far more "old
> maids."

You know you can get hard plastic microwave pop corn pans that take bulk
corn, use no bags and no oil, and take four to six minutes? Cheaper than
an electric popper, more convenient than using oil on a stove.

Optional, melt a little butter on the stove to add with the salt.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?W285525C9

Dana Carpender

Nov 12, 2004, 8:21:40 PM11/12/04

Bill Van wrote:

Sauteed in olive oil, with lemon juice and a good shot of pepper, is
also very nice.

Dana

Hank Gillette

Nov 12, 2004, 9:02:51 PM11/12/04
In article <bO4ld.329983$wV.1835@attbi_s54>,
Dana Carpender <dcar...@kivanospam.net> wrote:

> See, and I don't understand why anyone microwaves popcorn. It's no
> faster than using a popper, it's infinitely more expensive, it's loaded
> with hydrogenated oils, and it's of inferior quality, with far more "old
> maids."

Maybe because it's one less appliance to find room for in the kitchen?

I like to cook rice in the microwave. It's not faster than on the stove,
but you can set it and not worry about scorching the rice.

--
Hank Gillette

Dana Carpender

Nov 12, 2004, 9:43:33 PM11/12/04

Hank Gillette wrote:

My husband used to cook rice in the microwave, and it came out fine.

I don't make popcorn anymore, but if I wanted to pop corn without a
popper or microwave, I'd just do it in a kettle on the stove -- probably
my Dutch oven. As it is, Kitchen Gadgets R Us.

Dana

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Nov 12, 2004, 10:24:48 PM11/12/04
Hank Gillette wrote:

> I like to cook rice in the microwave. It's not faster than on the stove,
> but you can set it and not worry about scorching the rice.

That's what a rice-cooker is for. One of the most useful
kitchen gadgets I ever bought. And it can also be used
as a steamer. [If you _do_ decide to get a rice cooker,
look over the selection very carefully; they range in
price from about $19.95 to about $120, but the cheapest
ones are not worth the money. You should get one with
a glass top and a steam-drip catcher.]

Charles

Hank Gillette

Nov 13, 2004, 1:37:35 AM11/13/04
In article <48fld.7822$kU5....@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>,

Sure. I know what a rice cooker is for. If I cooked rice every day, I'd
own one. But it wouldn't make sense for me to own another appliance no
more often than I cook rice.

The stupidest appliance I've ever seen has got to be:

<http://www.ideafinder.com/showcase/products/plp0183.htm>

I can't imagine how you clean it.

--
Hank Gillette

Greg Goss

Nov 13, 2004, 2:59:07 AM11/13/04
Dana Carpender <dcar...@kivanospam.net> wrote:

>I always microwave bacon, too. Never occurs to me to do it in a skillet
>on the stovetop.

Pork fat on hot metal converts into something that causes cancer.
Microwave bacon is healthier.
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27

Bill Van

Nov 13, 2004, 4:32:20 AM11/13/04
In article <2vlt62F...@uni-berlin.de>, Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org>
wrote:

> Dana Carpender <dcar...@kivanospam.net> wrote:
>
> >I always microwave bacon, too. Never occurs to me to do it in a skillet
> >on the stovetop.
>
> Pork fat on hot metal converts into something that causes cancer.
> Microwave bacon is healthier.

After years of microwaving bacon, I've gone back to the frying pan
method just lately. Haven't decided which I like better.

So. The cancer. Cite?

bill

minmei

Nov 13, 2004, 4:45:32 AM11/13/04

"Rick B." <deep...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

Who know's could've been my cousin Kenny.
minmei

minmei

Nov 13, 2004, 4:49:17 AM11/13/04

"Kim" <flhs...@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> kay w wrote:
> > Previously, and snipped:
> >
> > Dana:
> >> But then, I'm not of the school
> >> that feels that "dump in canned mushroom soup and bake" constitutes
> >> a recipe.
> >
> > On the other hand, there are those of us who think it's gourmet
> > cookin' if I have to open *two* cans for a single meal.
> >
> > I do make a wonderful GBC, though, but with asparagus and maybe some
> > GBs, and chopped up water chestnuts, and peas. And the Durkees, of
> > course.
> >
> > That's the great thing about GBC; the only items really required are
> > the mushroom soup and the Durkees onions, and even those can be
> > replaced by broken crackers, in a pinch.
>
> Well, the mushroom soup isn't really *required*, either. I hate mushrooms,
> so I use either cream of celery or cheddar cheese soup, whichever I have
on
> hand. Hubby likes it either way.

> And I use frozen beans, not canned ones, just because I hate any veggies
in
> a can - too mushy. It's either fresh or frozen, for me.

Yeah, canned are right out, mushville, I use cream of chicken, when I can
sneak it by the vegetarian in the house.
minmei

minmei

Nov 13, 2004, 4:51:54 AM11/13/04

"Lesmond" <les...@verizon.net> wrote in message
> On 12 Nov 2004 00:06:50 GMT, kay w wrote:
>
> >Previously,
> >
> >Me(kay):
> >
> >Kim:

> >>Well, the mushroom soup isn't really *required*, either. I hate
mushrooms,
> >>so I use either cream of celery or cheddar cheese soup, whichever I have
on
> >>hand. Hubby likes it either way.
> >>
> >>And I use frozen beans, not canned ones, just because I hate any veggies
in
> >>a can - too mushy. It's either fresh or frozen, for me.
> >
> >See? What a marvelous, flexible recipe!
> >
> >I never thought about frozen veggies; I bet that works well.
> >
> >The cream of onion soup can also be substituted.
> >
> >(We also put in a little bit of buttermilk, but usualy don't mention it;
for
> >some reason knowing about the buttermilk upsets people.....)

> Am I the only one in this group who has never had anyone try to serve me
> green bean cassarole? I mean, I've never even seen it in person.

No, God, don't LOOK at it, <shudder> that'd be worse than watching my
husband eat. Really tho, maybe the onions were added to make it look
better, because without them it really does look rather like vomit. Tasty
tho.
minmei

minmei

Nov 13, 2004, 4:55:41 AM11/13/04

"Lesmond" <les...@verizon.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 00:36:10 GMT, groo wrote:
>
> >> And I use frozen beans, not canned ones, just because I hate any
> >> veggies in a can - too mushy. It's either fresh or frozen, for me.
> >
> >Canned vegetables are, in general, an abomination. Canned green beans are
> >particularly heinous.
>
> I used to feel the same way until my roommate and I took a roadtrip during
> college. We took along lots of munchies. One of the things she brought
was
> a ziplock baggie filled with canned green beans mixed with french
dressing.
> She said "It's finger food."
>
> I tried it, hesitantly. I was an instant convert.
>
> She also introduced me to grape jelly on grilled cheese.

Um, what was in the other baggie on the trip?
minmei

minmei

Nov 13, 2004, 5:00:40 AM11/13/04

"Charles Wm. Dimmick" <cdim...@snet.net> wrote in message

> Kim wrote:
>
> > And I use frozen beans, not canned ones, just because I hate any veggies
in
> > a can - too mushy. It's either fresh or frozen, for me.
>
> Just checked my old Fanny Farmer cookbook, circa 1917. It recommended
> cooking string beans for 1 to 3 hours in boiling salted water.
>
> Yccch! I cook mine for about 15 minutes, at most. If small
> enough and fresh enough, about 11 minutes.
>
> charles

That was prolly to kill off all the manure related germs, indoor plumbing
was still iffy then and refrigeration was laughable. A lot of the recipes
that say boil for 1 - 3 hours come down to us for that reason. Heard that
on that Terry Jones show about Medieval times that was on History Channel
awhile back.
minmei

minmei

Nov 13, 2004, 5:02:08 AM11/13/04

> kay w wrote:
>
> > Previously,
> >
> > charles:

> >>Just checked my old Fanny Farmer cookbook, circa 1917. It recommended
> >>cooking string beans for 1 to 3 hours in boiling salted water.
> >>Yccch! I cook mine for about 15 minutes, at most. If small
> >>enough and fresh enough, about 11 minutes.
> >

> > Green beans are supposed to be cooked at least that long, with some
fatback.
> > Actually, they're better cooked at least that long, left on the back of
the
> > stove until the next day, and reheated.
> > Just like turnip greens, except you don't have to wash them as much.
> >

> I like frozen French cut beans, nuked about 8-9 minutes on high, and
> mixed with slivered almonds sauteed in butter. Ambrosia.

Heck, I remember eating the beans out of my Great Grandfather's fields raw,
quite tasty, tastier once my Great Mum pickled them tho.
minmei

minmei

Nov 13, 2004, 5:07:11 AM11/13/04

> Previously,
>
> Me(kay):
> >> <sigh> Yankees........
>
> Dana:
> >Hey, I've tried green beans cooked forever with bacon. Have you tried
> >my Beans Almandine?
>

> I've tried a lot of things you've suggested, and been pleased with 98% of
them.

> I still wish you'd develop a zero carb gummi bear recipe.

Hey, speaking of this tho, was in AC Moore yesterday, you know the company
that makes the chocolates you melt, squirt them into the molds, and you have
pretty shaped candies (we're making chocolate rats this weekend). They now
make the stuff to make gummies. The powders are $1.50 each, the molds
(bugs, worms other cute critters) are $1.50 each, and you need a smaller
squirty bottle than the one for chocolate. All told cheap hobby.
minmei

minmei

Nov 13, 2004, 5:14:12 AM11/13/04

"Hank Gillette" <hankgi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

You know that's exactly what I was thinking of b4 I clicked on it, my kid's
agree with you too btw. And when I saw it in a catalog all I could think
was "hot dog grease" in the bottom of the flippin thing.
minmei

minmei

Nov 13, 2004, 5:18:36 AM11/13/04

"Crashj" <leader00...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> On or about Fri, 12 Nov 2004 02:21:32 GMT, "Charles Wm. Dimmick"
> <cdim...@snet.net> wrote something like:

> >Kim wrote:
> >
> >> And I use frozen beans, not canned ones, just because I hate any
veggies in
> >> a can - too mushy. It's either fresh or frozen, for me.
> >
> >Just checked my old Fanny Farmer cookbook, circa 1917. It recommended
> >cooking string beans for 1 to 3 hours in boiling salted water.
> >
> >Yccch! I cook mine for about 15 minutes, at most. If small
> >enough and fresh enough, about 11 minutes.
>
> Yuke. Don't any of you people have a steamer?
> "No vitamins left behind"
> --
We have a lovely one, it has two levels, a "drip" reservoir, the works.
Works great with Crawfish. Too small for lobster tho. My husband insists
on doing things like rice and veggies in it.
minmei

It is loading more messages.