Penguins in the Arctic

DT

Jun 30, 2010, 9:28:19 AM6/30/10
Speaking of igloos and penguins. So, has anyone ever moved a flock to the
Arctic? I don't know *why* anyone would, but given human's history of fucking
around, I'm surprised no one has done it.

Maybe they don't like the northern herrings? Or maybe the bears would eat
them. Look away, Opus!

--
DT

Peter Boulding

Jun 30, 2010, 10:03:04 AM6/30/10
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:28:19 -0400, DT <dthomp...@SPAMwowway.com> wrote
in <20100630-1...@DT.News>:

<NSFOpus>

Perhaps, in the times before man was capable of messing around in that
fashion, penguins have made it--maybe once, maybe many times--to the
northern hemisphere while the planet was going through an ice age... only to
suffer mass drowning during the next warm period when, after they'd all
retreated northwards in order to keep cool, the last of the arctic ice
melted.

--
Regards, Peter "Hey, it's my turn in the middle" Boulding
pjbn...@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk (to e-mail, remove "UNSPAM")

DT

Jun 30, 2010, 11:01:44 AM6/30/10
In article <15jm26t9ffdd49lvn...@4ax.com>,
pjbn...@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk says...

>On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:28:19 -0400, DT <dthomp...@SPAMwowway.com> wrote
>in <20100630-1...@DT.News>:
>
>>Speaking of igloos and penguins. So, has anyone ever moved a flock to the
>>Arctic? I don't know *why* anyone would, but given human's history of
fucking
>>around, I'm surprised no one has done it.
>>
>>Maybe they don't like the northern herrings? Or maybe the bears would eat
>>them. Look away, Opus!
>
><NSFOpus>
>
>Perhaps, in the times before man was capable of messing around in that
>fashion, penguins have made it--maybe once, maybe many times--to the
>northern hemisphere while the planet was going through an ice age... only to
>suffer mass drowning during the next warm period when, after they'd all
>retreated northwards in order to keep cool, the last of the arctic ice
>melted.

Couldn't they just nest on Canada?

--
DT

Peter Boulding

Jun 30, 2010, 11:25:50 AM6/30/10
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 11:01:44 -0400, DT <dthomp...@SPAMwowway.com> wrote
in <20100630-1...@DT.News>:

>>>Speaking of igloos and penguins. So, has anyone ever moved a flock to the
>>>Arctic? I don't know *why* anyone would, but given human's history of
>>>fucking around, I'm surprised no one has done it.
>>>
>>>Maybe they don't like the northern herrings? Or maybe the bears would eat
>>>them. Look away, Opus!
>>
>><NSFOpus>
>>
>>Perhaps, in the times before man was capable of messing around in that
>>fashion, penguins have made it--maybe once, maybe many times--to the
>>northern hemisphere while the planet was going through an ice age... only to
>>suffer mass drowning during the next warm period when, after they'd all
>>retreated northwards in order to keep cool, the last of the arctic ice
>>melted.
>
>Couldn't they just nest on Canada?

Perhaps they did, and on Greenland, and on Severnaya Zemlya--until it got a
bit warm, whereupon they all headed polewards. Then...

This could be an Aesop's fable, teaching us what happens to those who are
obsessed with being supercool.

--
Regards, Peter Boulding

weary flake

Jun 30, 2010, 12:01:38 PM6/30/10
Peter Boulding <pjbn...@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:28:19 -0400, DT <dthomp...@SPAMwowway.com> wrote
> in <20100630-1...@DT.News>:
>
> >Speaking of igloos and penguins. So, has anyone ever moved a flock to the
> >Arctic? I don't know *why* anyone would, but given human's history of
> >fucking
> >around, I'm surprised no one has done it.
> >
> >Maybe they don't like the northern herrings? Or maybe the bears would eat
> >them. Look away, Opus!
>
> <NSFOpus>
>
> Perhaps, in the times before man was capable of messing around in that
> fashion, penguins have made it--maybe once, maybe many times--to the
> northern hemisphere while the planet was going through an ice age... only to
> suffer mass drowning during the next warm period when, after they'd all
> retreated northwards in order to keep cool, the last of the arctic ice
> melted.

The extinct Great Auk was an arctic or a near arctic bird, and was
originally what was meant by the term "penguin". Antarctic penguins
were named after the Great Auk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_auk

http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=ti%3Agreat+auk+au%3Agaskell

But "Opus the penguin" looks more like a puffin.

DT

Jun 30, 2010, 12:54:55 PM6/30/10
In article <usnm269mu1e5o9mjp...@4ax.com>,
pjbn...@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk says...

>>><NSFOpus>
>>>
>>>Perhaps, in the times before man was capable of messing around in that
>>>fashion, penguins have made it--maybe once, maybe many times--to the
>>>northern hemisphere while the planet was going through an ice age... only
>>>suffer mass drowning during the next warm period when, after they'd all
>>>retreated northwards in order to keep cool, the last of the arctic ice
>>>melted.
>>
>>Couldn't they just nest on Canada?
>
>Perhaps they did, and on Greenland, and on Severnaya Zemlya--until it got a
>bit warm, whereupon they all headed polewards. Then...

That all sounds plausible, but it could be verified by the fossil record. That
is, if anyone digs for fossils in the Arctic circle.

--
DT

Opus the Penguin

Jun 30, 2010, 1:21:32 PM6/30/10
weary flake (weary...@hotmail.com) wrote:

> The extinct Great Auk was an arctic or a near arctic bird, and was
> originally what was meant by the term "penguin". Antarctic
> penguins were named after the Great Auk.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_auk
>
> http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=ti%3Agreat+auk+au%3Agaskell
>
> But "Opus the penguin" looks more like a puffin.

Oh yeah, "flake"? You look more like a gobbet.

--
Opus the Penguin
The best darn penguin in all of Usenet

Opus the Penguin

Jun 30, 2010, 1:31:39 PM6/30/10
DT (dthomp...@SPAMwowway.com) wrote:

Are frozen remains that haven't been petrified still called
"fossils"?

Les Albert

Jun 30, 2010, 1:43:04 PM6/30/10

MerriamWebster
Main Entry: 1fos·sil
Pronunciation: \'fä-s?l\
Function: adjective
Date:1604
Etymology: Latin fossilis obtained by digging, from fodere to dig
1 : preserved from a past geologic age. Until frozen material attains
the status of fossil it is referred to as a popsicle.

Les

No, they are called popsicles.

Les

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Jun 30, 2010, 7:04:10 PM6/30/10
Being petrified and being a fossil are two different things.
If the remains are more than 10,000 carbon-14 years old then they are
fossil, no matter how they were preserved.
And if the remains are NOT at least 10,000 14C years old then they are
NOT fossil, no matter how petrified they are.

Charles

Mark Steese

Jun 30, 2010, 9:15:45 PM6/30/10

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:28:19 -0400, DT <dthomp...@SPAMwowway.com>
> wrote in <20100630-1...@DT.News>:
>
>>Speaking of igloos and penguins. So, has anyone ever moved a flock to
>>the Arctic? I don't know *why* anyone would, but given human's history
>>of fucking around, I'm surprised no one has done it.
>>
>>Maybe they don't like the northern herrings? Or maybe the bears would
>>eat them. Look away, Opus!
>
> <NSFOpus>
>
> Perhaps, in the times before man was capable of messing around in that
> fashion, penguins have made it--maybe once, maybe many times--to the
> northern hemisphere while the planet was going through an ice age...
> only to suffer mass drowning during the next warm period when, after
> they'd all retreated northwards in order to keep cool, the last of the
> arctic ice melted.

Penguins aren't restricted to polar climates: there are penguins living
in the Galápagos Islands, coastal Chile and Argentina, South Africa,
Australia, New Zealand, and other comparatively temperate climes. No
penguin fossils have been discovered in the northern hemisphere, though.
--
The Alps are grand in their beauty, Mount Shasta is sublime in its
desolation. -William H. Brewer

art...@yahoo.com

Jun 30, 2010, 9:22:11 PM6/30/10
On Jun 30, 7:04 pm, "Charles Wm. Dimmick" <cdimm...@snet.net> wrote:
> On 6/30/2010 1:31 PM, Opus the Penguin wrote:
>
> > DT (dthompson4...@SPAMwowway.com) wrote:
>
> >> In article<usnm269mu1e5o9mjpmk9ubb80d4t1df...@4ax.com>,
> >> pjbne...@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk says...

Does it matter whether they have tenure?

Peter Boulding

Jun 30, 2010, 10:52:56 PM6/30/10
On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 01:15:45 +0000 (UTC), Mark Steese <mark_...@yahoo.com>
wrote in <Xns9DA7B9CA...@85.214.73.210>:

>>>Speaking of igloos and penguins. So, has anyone ever moved a flock to
>>>the Arctic? I don't know *why* anyone would, but given human's history
>>>of fucking around, I'm surprised no one has done it.
>>>
>>>Maybe they don't like the northern herrings? Or maybe the bears would
>>>eat them. Look away, Opus!
>>
>> <NSFOpus>
>>
>> Perhaps, in the times before man was capable of messing around in that
>> fashion, penguins have made it--maybe once, maybe many times--to the
>> northern hemisphere while the planet was going through an ice age...
>> only to suffer mass drowning during the next warm period when, after
>> they'd all retreated northwards in order to keep cool, the last of the
>> arctic ice melted.
>
>Penguins aren't restricted to polar climates: there are penguins living
>in the Galápagos Islands, coastal Chile and Argentina, South Africa,
>Australia, New Zealand, and other comparatively temperate climes. No
>penguin fossils have been discovered in the northern hemisphere, though.

<sigh>

OK, it was the bears.

--
Regards, Peter Boulding

Mark Steese

Jun 30, 2010, 11:11:36 PM6/30/10

> On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 01:15:45 +0000 (UTC), Mark Steese
> <mark_...@yahoo.com> wrote in

>>> <NSFOpus>
>>>
>>> Perhaps, in the times before man was capable of messing around in
>>> that fashion, penguins have made it--maybe once, maybe many
>>> times--to the northern hemisphere while the planet was going through
>>> an ice age... only to suffer mass drowning during the next warm
>>> period when, after they'd all retreated northwards in order to keep
>>> cool, the last of the arctic ice melted.
>>
>>Penguins aren't restricted to polar climates: there are penguins

>>living in the Gal�pagos Islands, coastal Chile and Argentina, South

>>Africa, Australia, New Zealand, and other comparatively temperate
>>climes. No penguin fossils have been discovered in the northern
>>hemisphere, though.
>
> <sigh>
>
> OK, it was the bears.

Penguins don't eat bears.

bill van

Jul 1, 2010, 1:19:07 AM7/1/10
In article <Xns9DA7CD6F...@85.214.73.210>,
Mark Steese <mark_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Peter Boulding <pjbn...@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk> wrote in
>
> > On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 01:15:45 +0000 (UTC), Mark Steese
> > <mark_...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> >>Penguins aren't restricted to polar climates: there are penguins

> >>living in the Galápagos Islands, coastal Chile and Argentina, South

> >>Africa, Australia, New Zealand, and other comparatively temperate
> >>climes. No penguin fossils have been discovered in the northern
> >>hemisphere, though.
> >
> > <sigh>
> >
> > OK, it was the bears.
>
> Penguins don't eat bears.

Drop penguins eat whatever they want.

Rick B.

Jul 1, 2010, 6:53:39 AM7/1/10
Subject line misread as "Penguins in the Attic."

Peter Boulding

Jul 1, 2010, 8:58:16 AM7/1/10
On 1 Jul 2010 10:53:39 GMT, "Rick B." <deep...@sprynet.com.aq> wrote in
<Xns9DA846162...@130.133.4.11>:

>Subject line misread as "Penguins in the Attic."

I like it.

"... but you should expect that kind of thing from poor old uncle Alf: he's
got penguins in the attic."

Mac

Jul 1, 2010, 9:21:57 AM7/1/10
On Jul 1, 5:58 am, Peter Boulding <pjbne...@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk>
wrote:
> On 1 Jul 2010 10:53:39 GMT, "Rick B." <deepst...@sprynet.com.aq> wrote in
> <Xns9DA846162E310080021...@130.133.4.11>:

> >Subject line misread as "Penguins in the Attic."
>
> I like it.
>
> "... but you should expect that kind of thing from poor old uncle Alf: he's
> got penguins in the attic."

"Better than uncle Frank, with his penguins in bondage, though."

Mark Steese

Jul 1, 2010, 12:01:29 PM7/1/10
bill van <bil...@separatethis.shaw.ca> wrote in

And they don't want to eat bears.
--
The proud flag went up, hoisted on a staff in the center of the old
Sonoma Plaza. The crowds of Mexicans greeted it with laughter and

Veronique

Jul 1, 2010, 5:48:23 PM7/1/10

Snidely

Jul 2, 2010, 5:32:46 AM7/2/10
On Jul 1, 9:01 am, Mark Steese <mark_ste...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> bill van <bill...@separatethis.shaw.ca> wrote innews:billvan-275F73...@news.shawcable.net:
>

> > In article <Xns9DA7CD6F02C23Ste...@85.214.73.210>,
> >  Mark Steese <mark_ste...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >> Peter Boulding <pjbne...@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk> wrote in

> >> Penguins don't eat bears.
>
> > Drop penguins eat whatever they want.
>
> And they don't want to eat bears.

They drop bears?

/dps

bill van

Jul 2, 2010, 3:26:13 PM7/2/10
In article
<6c785980-5936-49b2...@k20g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
Snidely <snide...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Drop penguins eat whatever they want.
> >
> > And they don't want to eat bears.
>
> They drop bears?

Sure. They're flightless bears, fortunately.

art...@yahoo.com

Jul 2, 2010, 3:28:16 PM7/2/10
On Jul 2, 3:26 pm, bill van <bill...@separatethis.shaw.ca> wrote:
> In article
> <6c785980-5936-49b2-bf2b-571f2fb5d...@k20g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,

> > > And they don't want to eat bears.
>
> > They drop bears?
>
> Sure. They're flightless bears, fortunately.

Not for the bears, it's not.

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Jul 2, 2010, 5:22:35 PM7/2/10
On 7/2/2010 3:26 PM, bill van wrote:
> In article
> <6c785980-5936-49b2...@k20g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
> Snidely<snide...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 1, 9:01 am, Mark Steese<mark_ste...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> bill van<bill...@separatethis.shaw.ca> wrote
>>> innews:billvan-275F73...@news.shawcable.net:

>>> And they don't want to eat bears.
>>
>> They drop bears?
>>
> Sure. They're flightless bears, fortunately.

Which reminds me: did anyone here ever see the video of the skydivers
dropping bare?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1i6b4_naked-skydiving-funny_extreme

Bill Kinkaid

Jul 3, 2010, 12:32:00 PM7/3/10
On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 01:15:45 +0000 (UTC), Mark Steese
<mark_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

And there have been at least five sightings of "accidental" penguins
in the Pacific Northwest.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19072484/

art...@yahoo.com

Jul 3, 2010, 12:39:08 PM7/3/10
On Jul 3, 12:32 pm, Bill Kinkaid <billkink...@shaw.ca> wrote:

> And there have been at least five sightings of "accidental" penguins
> in the Pacific Northwest.http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19072484/

"accidentally like a penguin
the hurt gets worse and the
herring get harder"

Mark Steese

Jul 3, 2010, 1:44:43 PM7/3/10
Bill Kinkaid <billk...@shaw.ca> wrote in

Interesting. It points up the fact that human activity has become a
significant factor in animal migration: when we're not wiping out
species, we're putting them in places they might never have gotten to on
their own. When Mickie and I were living in Ashland, I looked out the
front door one morning and saw four wild turkeys roaming up the street,
which was a bit of a surprise - I didn't know turkeys were native to
Oregon. Turns out they're not - they were originally imported to give
Oregon's hunters something new to shoot at.

Oregon also has a thriving population of non-native opossums, which were
originally imported as either pets or meat, depending on which source
you read.

N Jill Marsh

Jul 3, 2010, 1:59:01 PM7/3/10

One more of those, and you'll be a martyr. I promise.

nj"and on purpose"m

--
"His eyes were of the blue of the forget-me-not, and of a profound melancholy..."

Paul Madarasz

Jul 3, 2010, 2:49:33 PM7/3/10
On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 13:59:01 -0400, N Jill Marsh <njm...@gmail.com>
wrote, perhaps among other things:

>On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 09:39:08 -0700 (PDT), "art...@yahoo.com"
><art...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On Jul 3, 12:32 pm, Bill Kinkaid <billkink...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>>> And there have been at least five sightings of "accidental" penguins
>>> in the Pacific Northwest.http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19072484/
>>
>>"accidentally like a penguin
>>the hurt gets worse and the
>> herring get harder"
>
>One more of those, and you'll be a martyr. I promise.
>
>nj"and on purpose"m

Isn't "Accidentally Like a Penguin" a song from "Blonde on Blonde"?

Opus the Penguin

Jul 3, 2010, 2:51:38 PM7/3/10
art...@yahoo.com (art...@yahoo.com) wrote:

That would be better if, instead of "harder," you had used one of the
many words that rhymes with "penguin".

Paul Madarasz

Jul 3, 2010, 2:53:24 PM7/3/10
On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 18:51:38 GMT, Opus the Penguin
<opusthepen...@gmail.com> wrote, perhaps among other things:

>art...@yahoo.com (art...@yahoo.com) wrote:
>
>> On Jul 3, 12:32 pm, Bill Kinkaid <billkink...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> And there have been at least five sightings of "accidental" penguins
>>> in the Pacific Northwest.http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19072484/
>>

>> "accidentally like a penguin
>> the hurt gets worse and the
>> herring get harder"
>
>That would be better if, instead of "harder," you had used one of the
>many words that rhymes with "penguin".

Fred Gwinne? (I know, I know...)

Mac

Jul 3, 2010, 3:18:01 PM7/3/10
On Jul 3, 11:53 am, Paul Madarasz <madpl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 18:51:38 GMT, Opus the Penguin
> <opusthepenguin+use...@gmail.com> wrote, perhaps among other things:

Fred was a local author in one of the bookstores we used to haunt 20-
odd years ago, with a good many books with extra illustrations. Can't
remember the name of the place; it was in San Dimas, near a faux-
western shopping district on the edge of the real downtown.

bill van

Jul 3, 2010, 3:34:26 PM7/3/10
In article <Xns9DAA6D54...@69.16.185.247>,
Mark Steese <mark_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Oregon also has a thriving population of non-native opossums, which were
> originally imported as either pets or meat, depending on which source
> you read.

They were introduced to Washington state and British Columbia in the
1920s, though my google-fu is not up to pinpointing exactly why. They do
well on the south coast of B.C., but haven't made it to places with
colder winters north and east.

bill

Snidely

Jul 3, 2010, 7:23:58 PM7/3/10
On Jul 2, 2:22 pm, "Charles Wm. Dimmick" <cdimm...@snet.net> wrote:
> Which reminds me: did anyone here ever see the video of the skydivers
> dropping bare?
>
> http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1i6b4_naked-skydiving-funny_extreme

Words fail me.

/dps

Bill Kinkaid

Jul 5, 2010, 12:35:13 AM7/5/10

Turkeys, OTOH, are doing fine in the West Kootenays, but haven't made
it here. Introduced quail are widespread in the Okanagan, extirpated
in the Lower Mainland, and not doing that well on Vancouver Island.
--
Bill in Vancouver

http://picasaweb.google.com/BillKinkaid

Lee Ayrton

Jul 5, 2010, 2:22:26 PM7/5/10

I thought it was from the long-lost "Penguins" track from Pink Floyd's
"Animals" album. A shame that it was cut, really. Damned insightful
social commentary.

Bill Bonde

Jul 5, 2010, 7:36:43 PM7/5/10
Charles Wm. Dimmick wrote:
> On 6/30/2010 1:31 PM, Opus the Penguin wrote:
>> DT (dthomp...@SPAMwowway.com) wrote:
>>
>>> In article<usnm269mu1e5o9mjp...@4ax.com>,
>>> pjbn...@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk says...

>>> That all sounds plausible, but it could be verified by the fossil
>>> record. That is, if anyone digs for fossils in the Arctic circle.
>>>

>> Are frozen remains that haven't been petrified still called
>> "fossils"?
>>
> Being petrified and being a fossil are two different things.
> If the remains are more than 10,000 carbon-14 years old then they are
> fossil, no matter how they were preserved.
> And if the remains are NOT at least 10,000 14C years old then they are
> NOT fossil, no matter how petrified they are.

That's some kind of way to kill the thread off.

Greg Goss

Jul 8, 2010, 3:43:21 PM7/8/10
Opus the Penguin <opusthepen...@gmail.com> wrote:

>DT (dthomp...@SPAMwowway.com) wrote:

>> That all sounds plausible, but it could be verified by the fossil
>> record. That is, if anyone digs for fossils in the Arctic circle.
>>

>Are frozen remains that haven't been petrified still called
>"fossils"?

I think that Nat Geo called that baby mammoth a "mummy". During the
freeze-thaw cycle, instead of rotting, it fermented. During the
thaw-out, it was in the open for a while with minimal damage.
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27

Greg Goss

Jul 8, 2010, 8:04:19 PM7/8/10

>> > And they don't want to eat bears.
>>
>> They drop bears?
>>
>Sure. They're flightless bears, fortunately.

As God is my witness, I thought bears could fly.

Greg Goss

Jul 8, 2010, 9:10:27 PM7/8/10
Lee Ayrton <lay...@panix.com.nul> wrote:

I googled one of the odd phrasings on this thread and it came up Frank
Zappa. I forget which phrase it was -- it might have been Accidental
Penguin.

Mac

Jul 8, 2010, 10:24:04 PM7/8/10
On Jul 8, 6:10 pm, Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:

> Lee Ayrton <layr...@panix.com.nul> wrote:
> >On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 11:49:33 -0700, Paul Madarasz wrote:

> >> Isn't "Accidentally Like a Penguin" a song from "Blonde on Blonde"?
>
> >I thought it was from the long-lost "Penguins" track from Pink Floyd's
> >"Animals" album.  A shame that it was cut, really.  Damned insightful
> >social commentary.
>
> I googled one of the odd phrasings on this thread and it came up Frank
> Zappa.  I forget which phrase it was -- it might have been Accidental
> Penguin.

"Penguin in bondage," if memory serves.

Paul Madarasz

Jul 9, 2010, 7:42:25 PM7/9/10
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 13:43:21 -0600, Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote,
perhaps among other things:

>Opus the Penguin <opusthepen...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>DT (dthomp...@SPAMwowway.com) wrote:
>
>>> That all sounds plausible, but it could be verified by the fossil
>>> record. That is, if anyone digs for fossils in the Arctic circle.
>>>

>>Are frozen remains that haven't been petrified still called
>>"fossils"?
>
>I think that Nat Geo called that baby mammoth a "mummy". During the
>freeze-thaw cycle, instead of rotting, it fermented.

Yeah, but can it beat 8.1%?

Message has been deleted

bill van

Jul 10, 2010, 3:28:08 AM7/10/10
In article <brhf361c58i00mv2m...@4ax.com>,
Tim <admins...@nowhere.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 12:34:26 -0700, bill van
> <bil...@separatethis.shaw.ca> wrote:
>

> To address a chronic road kill shortage?

Oh heavens, no. We have a marvellous variety of road kill here, being a
province blessed with many highways that pass through wilderness areas
and all. We go all the way up to moose -- grizzly road kill is almost
unheard of -- though admittedly, moose do prefer to be hit by trains.

bill

Hactar

Jul 10, 2010, 3:11:00 PM7/10/10
In article <billvan-30E560...@news.shawcable.net>,

bill van <bil...@separatethis.shaw.ca> wrote:
> In article <brhf361c58i00mv2m...@4ax.com>,
> Tim <admins...@nowhere.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 12:34:26 -0700, bill van
> > <bil...@separatethis.shaw.ca> wrote:

> > >They were introduced to Washington state and British Columbia in the
> > >1920s, though my google-fu is not up to pinpointing exactly why. They do
> > >well on the south coast of B.C., but haven't made it to places with
> > >colder winters north and east.
> >
> > To address a chronic road kill shortage?
>
> Oh heavens, no. We have a marvellous variety of road kill here, being a
> province blessed with many highways that pass through wilderness areas
> and all. We go all the way up to moose -- grizzly road kill is almost
> unheard of -- though admittedly, moose do prefer to be hit by trains.

Car drivers can swerve and/or brake at >0.01g.

--
"The Web brings people together because no matter what kind of a
twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals