[OT] Shodan essay

Lukas Mariman

Aug 7, 2007, 11:31:36 AM8/7/07
Browsing Wikipedia, I came across this link to a fairly interesting essay
about the System Shock games' villain, SHODAN.

http://gillen.cream.org/wordpress_html/?page_id=1103

Alfie [UK]

Aug 7, 2007, 12:48:03 PM8/7/07

Wow, I never thought that deeply about Shodan's motivations, just
treated her like the same manipulative bitch from the first game :)

Now where did I leave my SS2 CD ? :))
--
Alfie [UK]
<http://www.delphia.co.uk/>

Lukas Mariman

Aug 7, 2007, 1:14:01 PM8/7/07
Alfie [UK] wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 17:31:36 +0200, "Lukas Mariman"
> <lukas....@skynet.be> wrote:
>
>> Browsing Wikipedia, I came across this link to a fairly interesting
>> essay about the System Shock games' villain, SHODAN.
>>
>> http://gillen.cream.org/wordpress_html/?page_id=1103
>>
> Wow, I never thought that deeply about Shodan's motivations, just
> treated her like the same manipulative bitch from the first game :)
>
> Now where did I leave my SS2 CD ? :))

Yeah, I feel like playing the games again myself. :-)

I never actually finished SS1 BTW. Played SS2 several times. Might be tricky
to get them to run OK on XP though.

Alfie [UK]

Aug 7, 2007, 7:04:40 PM8/7/07

Last played SS2 on XP Pro about 2 years ago...SS1 needed some heavy
tweaking to run but I think SS2 just needed the LG install fix same as
Thief. Will have to boot up my games box and see what
instructions/patches I've got on there for SS2.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Lukas Mariman

Aug 7, 2007, 7:09:06 PM8/7/07
Alfie [UK] wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 19:14:01 +0200, "Lukas Mariman"
> <lukas....@skynet.be> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I feel like playing the games again myself. :-)
>>
>> I never actually finished SS1 BTW. Played SS2 several times. Might
>> be tricky to get them to run OK on XP though.
>>
> Last played SS2 on XP Pro about 2 years ago...SS1 needed some heavy
> tweaking to run but I think SS2 just needed the LG install fix same as
> Thief. Will have to boot up my games box and see what
> instructions/patches I've got on there for SS2.

Great! As always, I appreciate any tips.

I did find this hyperlink for SS1, but I haven't tested it myself (yet).

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69578

Alfie [UK]

Aug 8, 2007, 2:54:54 PM8/8/07

From the same forum http://preview.tinyurl.com/2uk8se

For SS2 you should only need to use the x:/setup.exe -Lgntforce switch
when running setup, then patch it. Very rarely you might need to change
compatibility mode to Win98 (didn't onmy desktop but my laptop is XP MCE
and needed it).

If you use the downloaded version of the game from Underdogs the videos
have been re-ripped into DivX5 which avoids the codec problem that
afflicts Thief 1 & 2 and SS2 on XP. If you have the original CD version
you might need to reinstall the codecs before each startup of the game
(regsvr32 "c:\your\path\to\shock2\LGVID.AX", best put it in a batch file
that then runs SS2 afterwards).

The human spirit is a hard thing to kill. Even with a chainsaw.

Evil Sponge

Aug 15, 2007, 2:16:05 PM8/15/07

"Lukas Mariman" <lukas....@skynet.be> wrote in message

> Browsing Wikipedia, I came across this link to a fairly interesting essay
> about the System Shock games' villain, SHODAN.
>
> http://gillen.cream.org/wordpress_html/?page_id=1103

Just got round to reading this. Very interesting, and it makes me want to
play it again as well. After completing it the first time as a marine, I
always intended to do it again as a psionic dude (whatever they're called),
but never got round to it.

StainlessSteelRat

Aug 15, 2007, 3:12:02 PM8/15/07

And what about that Bioshock. Hmmm... hmmm?

Personally I've no idea, but people keep talking about it.

--
StainlessSteelRat
http://www.stainlesssteelrat.net

"Today SpongeBob has learned one of the harshest lessons of the sea.
Wild animals can throw very wild parties." -- Narrator, SpongeBob
Squarepants

Lukas Mariman

Aug 15, 2007, 3:33:59 PM8/15/07
StainlessSteelRat wrote:
> Lukas Mariman wrote:
>> Browsing Wikipedia, I came across this link to a fairly interesting
>> essay about the System Shock games' villain, SHODAN.
>>
>> http://gillen.cream.org/wordpress_html/?page_id=1103
>
> And what about that Bioshock. Hmmm... hmmm?
>
> Personally I've no idea, but people keep talking about it.

According to a post in news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (I'm not repeating
that) it got 96% in a review by PCZone. Whoever they are.

Any game made by the people who made the SS games is dy default worth
checking out, expecially when it's announced as a "spiritual successor" to
SS1&2. I'm concerned about the system requirements though.

Evil Sponge

Aug 15, 2007, 4:01:35 PM8/15/07

> StainlessSteelRat wrote:
>> Lukas Mariman wrote:
>>> Browsing Wikipedia, I came across this link to a fairly interesting
>>> essay about the System Shock games' villain, SHODAN.
>>>
>>> http://gillen.cream.org/wordpress_html/?page_id=1103
>>
>> And what about that Bioshock. Hmmm... hmmm?
>>
>> Personally I've no idea, but people keep talking about it.
>
> According to a post in news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (I'm not
> repeating that) it got 96% in a review by PCZone. Whoever they are.

PC Zone is an excellent UK PC games mag, which I would regard as reliable a
source as any in terms of reviews.

> Any game made by the people who made the SS games is dy default worth
> checking out, expecially when it's announced as a "spiritual successor" to
> SS1&2. I'm concerned about the system requirements though.

Yeah, it looks great. I think I may have to buy it. Reading the Wikipedia
entry for it, it does appear very similar to SS2, which is no bad thing
IMHO.

Lukas Mariman

Aug 15, 2007, 4:15:07 PM8/15/07
Evil Sponge wrote:
> "Lukas Mariman" <lukas....@skynet.be> wrote in message
>> StainlessSteelRat wrote:

>>> And what about that Bioshock. Hmmm... hmmm?
>>>
>>> Personally I've no idea, but people keep talking about it.
>>
>> According to a post in news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (I'm not
>> repeating that) it got 96% in a review by PCZone. Whoever they are.
>>

> PC Zone is an excellent UK PC games mag, which I would regard as
> reliable a source as any in terms of reviews.

I haven't read the review myself, but from what I heard, he was going on
about the SS2 similarities - which makes it sound all the better already!
:-)

>> Any game made by the people who made the SS games is dy default worth
>> checking out, expecially when it's announced as a "spiritual
>> successor" to SS1&2. I'm concerned about the system requirements
>> though.
>
> Yeah, it looks great. I think I may have to buy it. Reading the
> Wikipedia entry for it, it does appear very similar to SS2, which is
> no bad thing IMHO.

Amazon UK have the Limited PC Edition on pre-order for what seems like a
reasonable price:

http://tinyurl.com/29aq34

I might just get it myself!

StainlessSteelRat

Aug 15, 2007, 4:27:31 PM8/15/07
Lukas Mariman wrote:
>> Yeah, it looks great. I think I may have to buy it. Reading the
>> Wikipedia entry for it, it does appear very similar to SS2, which is
>> no bad thing IMHO.
>
> Amazon UK have the Limited PC Edition on pre-order for what seems
> like a reasonable price:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/29aq34
>
> I might just get it myself!

I think I'm gonna pre-order me a copy too. Supposedly awesome... maybe game
of the year... etc. And I'm very glad to see a simultaneous console and PC
release as well.

And HL2 Ep2 + friends is out in a few weeks also...

--
StainlessSteelRat
http://www.stainlesssteelrat.net

Manny: That was the last film you went to see? 'Planet of the Apes'?
Bernard: Yeah. Amazing effects, you know. You really believed that
monkeys could have meetings.

Lukas Mariman

Aug 15, 2007, 5:02:30 PM8/15/07
StainlessSteelRat wrote:
> Lukas Mariman wrote:
>>> Yeah, it looks great. I think I may have to buy it. Reading the
>>> Wikipedia entry for it, it does appear very similar to SS2, which is
>>> no bad thing IMHO.
>>
>> Amazon UK have the Limited PC Edition on pre-order for what seems
>> like a reasonable price:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/29aq34
>>
>> I might just get it myself!
>
> I think I'm gonna pre-order me a copy too. Supposedly awesome...
> maybe game of the year... etc. And I'm very glad to see a
> simultaneous console and PC release as well.

Alright sammit, I pre-ordered. Call me insane! :-)

BTW, here you can download a Bioshock Artbook:

http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/artbook.html

Some really nice illustrations in there...

> And HL2 Ep2 + friends is out in a few weeks also...

AAARGH! Too many games. Although I never got around to making it through
Ep1, so I'm going to skip this one... for now.

Lukas Mariman

Aug 16, 2007, 10:16:36 AM8/16/07
Speaking of Bioshock, I saw that Bioshock will require product activation.
No big deal, I think, I hope , etc...

I hate product activation. You only annoy the legal customers! The pirates
will crack it sooner or later, and people using the pirated version will
play happily without any hassles. Way to go. Sammit!

Alfie [UK]

Aug 16, 2007, 12:41:07 PM8/16/07

I'm actually waiting on this one until there's some feedback on the
activation method, quality on older DX9 hardware (i.e. how accurate are
the system requirements), etc.

I haven't bought any 'new' games in a while, just been catching up on
older games that I didn't buy when they were new. The hardware race is a
pain in the butt, there are even games in the work that will require
dual or quad core, and DX10.1 is round the corner.

Lukas Mariman

Aug 16, 2007, 1:05:02 PM8/16/07

Right. My current system is like 1.5 years old and I get the idea it's
already like a museumpiece. :-(

Message has been deleted

StainlessSteelRat

Aug 16, 2007, 4:05:29 PM8/16/07
Lukas Mariman wrote:
> Right. My current system is like 1.5 years old and I get the idea it's
> already like a museumpiece. :-(

PC games seem to have gone through a real glut the last few months. There's
been very little if anything that I've got worked up about. Consoles seem to
be much the same, although perhaps a touch more lively than the PC market.

--
StainlessSteelRat
http://www.stainlesssteelrat.net

Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr: The only time we doctors should accept death is
when it's caused by our own incompetence! Dr. Necessiter: Nonsense! If
the murder of twelve innocent people can help save one human life, it
will have been worth it.

StainlessSteelRat

Aug 18, 2007, 6:54:26 AM8/18/07
StainlessSteelRat wrote:
>> Right. My current system is like 1.5 years old and I get the idea
>> it's already like a museumpiece. :-(
>
> PC games seem to have gone through a real glut the last few months.
> There's been very little if anything that I've got worked up about.
> Consoles seem to be much the same, although perhaps a touch more
> lively than the PC market.

I just got me a 2Gb RAM upgrade, to smooth play in Bioshock. I think the
rest of my PC is reasonable, with an ATI X1950 Pro. Not sure whether DirectX
10 is really an advantage or not.

I'm scanning Steam to see if I can find a decent game to play in the
meantime...

--
StainlessSteelRat
http://www.stainlesssteelrat.net

Knight 1: We are now no longer the Knights who say Ni.
Knight 2: Ni.
Other Knights: Shh...
Knight 1: We are now the Knights who say...Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG.
Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm.

Father Viv

Aug 21, 2007, 3:28:02 PM8/21/07
StainlessSteelRat wrote:
> Lukas Mariman wrote:
>> Right. My current system is like 1.5 years old and I get the idea
>> it's already like a museumpiece. :-(
>
> PC games seem to have gone through a real glut the last few months.

Do you mean glut?

--
Father Viv

"I DO want your money, because God wants your money!"
- Reverend Larry, "Repo Man"

Father Viv

Aug 21, 2007, 3:29:00 PM8/21/07
Lukas Mariman wrote:

> Right. My current system is like 1.5 years old and I get the idea it's
> already like a museumpiece. :-(

That's nothing. Mine's more like a cod piece :-/

--
Father Viv

"I love being immortalized for my intelligence, wit, and, oh, yeah...
ta-tas"
- Terry

Lukas Mariman

Aug 21, 2007, 3:32:55 PM8/21/07
Father Viv wrote:
> Lukas Mariman wrote:
>>
>> Right. My current system is like 1.5 years old and I get the idea
>> it's already like a museumpiece. :-(
>
> That's nothing. Mine's more like a cod piece :-/

Is that the new Apple iCod?

StainlessSteelRat

Aug 22, 2007, 1:30:37 PM8/22/07
Father Viv wrote:
>>> Right. My current system is like 1.5 years old and I get the idea
>>> it's already like a museumpiece. :-(
>>
>> PC games seem to have gone through a real glut the last few months.
>
> Do you mean glut?

No :-)

--
StainlessSteelRat
http://www.stainlesssteelrat.net

"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me."
-- Benjamin Disraeli