O/T Midday With Mueller from Beautiful: The Carole King Story"

marvin

May 10, 2016, 5:58:33 PM5/10/16
It won't be as good as Midnight With Manilow, but I am looking forward to Midday With Mueller tomorrow. Tonight I will be going to opening night of the musical "Beautiful: The Carole King Story" at Broward Center in Fort Lauderdale. The jukebox musical is about the early life of Carole King and her music up until the Tapestry album in 1971.
Tomorrow afternoon, the promoters of the show have invited media and other guests to a lunch with the stars of the musical Abby Mueller (Carole King), Liam Tobin (Gerry Goffin, Carole's first husband and lyrical collaborator) and Ben Fankhauer (he plays CK's best friend, songwriter Barry Mann) in which the media will do extensive interviews with the cast members.
It won't be as memorable an event as Midnight With Manilow, but I am looking forward to the opening night of the musical and meeting the cast over lunch tomorrow. My story is on Ben Fankhauser and look forward to talking with him. The reviews of the musical from other cities have been positive, so the show should be a lot of fun tonight.
Carole King was at first nervous to see the musical about her life, especially given the circumstances regarding her first husband, who had severe medical and commitment issues, but she eventually saw the show on Broadway and sang with the cast at the end of the musical on one special evening.
I hope the day will come that a jukebox musical on Barry's life with all his hit songs will be done on Broadway and I can just imagine how proud Barry would be if such a project would ever come to life, especially given how much more open Barry is about talking about his life with Garry than ever before.
I am so looking forward to seeing Beautiful tonight as well as writing a story on the musical. If any of you saw Beautiful before, post your thoughts on the musical. Regards, Marvin

Suzan

May 11, 2016, 9:15:04 AM5/11/16
Enjoy the show, Marvin! It sounds like a lot of fun,and I look forward to hearing about the luncheon and your thoughts on the musical.

I don't know about a jukebox musical based on Barry's life--I think that topic probably is, and should remain, personal--but he did have a sort-of jukebox musical revue back in 2001 with "Could it be Magic, the Barry Manilow Songbook". This production, which ran for several months in Chicago, included Debra Byrd and Kye Brackett, and introduced us to the talented Keely Vasquez. It won several awards, including a prestigious Black Theatre Alliance ward and a couple Joseph Jefferson Award nominations.

I really loved that show; I wonder if it will ever see a revival?

Blintzy

May 11, 2016, 9:27:26 AM5/11/16
Such a musical doesn't necessarily have to be about Barry's life. Some musicals such as 'We Will Rock You' and 'Mama Mia' use the music of an artist set to a story entirely unrelated to the artist.

marvin

May 12, 2016, 5:29:44 PM5/12/16
The musical was well received, especially by the many Carole King fans in the audience, who applauded after every song, making me think I was at a King concert rather than a musical on her life. The enthusiasm by the audience was well received by the cast when I spoke to them the following day at the luncheon.
I think of this musical as something similar to "Jersey Boys" and like that we get to see the young Carole Ling develop her confidence as a songwriter going through her rough and also brilliant times with her husband and lyrical collaborator Gerry Goffin.
There were deep emotions expressed in the tensions as we see Carole emerging as a songwriter who was not encouraged to sing on her own and was highly reluctant to go on stage as a singer. (Doesn't that sound somewhat similar to the story of the singer/songwriter we all love?)
The story climaxes with Carole emerging from her divorce as a stronger person and with renewed confidence as a singer/songwriter.
For those that have read Carole King's autobiography "Natural Woman", the musical does not go beyond 1971 as she had several other marriages, and was a victim of domestic physical abuse.
Despite not covering King's later life, I saw the musical as worthy and giving inspection into the life of a singer/songwriter and her friendships with songwriters Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil, (who wrote "Somewhere Down The Road" for Barry Manilow), as Carole's marriage crumbled.
Carole's well- known songs, such as So Far Away, I Feel The Earth Move, Will You Love Me Tomorrow, It's Too Late, You've Got A Friend, among others is what draws the audience in, but "Beautiful: The Carole King Musical" is a satisfying story that gives us the respect for Carole and what she went through with much intimidation she had as a teen, as well as the confidence to go forward with her dreams and proving that she underestimated her talent.
Without the efforts of Carole, many singer/songwriters such as Barry may have never had the opportunity of emerging as both the creators and performers of songs.
I was moved by both the music and the story of Carole King's early life. My story on the musical will be published next week and will post it then. Thanks, Marvin