Gayle King Show

Choo Choo

Jun 14, 2011, 12:03:28 PM6/14/11
Barry was on Gayle King this morning. I missed it :( Anyone have it
recorded that can put it up on YouTube? I so wanted to see that.

(sad) Chris

marvin

Jun 14, 2011, 12:04:37 PM6/14/11

My understanding is that the show will be televised tonight at 10 PM
on the OWN network. Marvin

Luiz

Jun 14, 2011, 12:10:10 PM6/14/11
Is that Oprah's girfriend by any chance?

YBA

Jun 14, 2011, 12:26:27 PM6/14/11
On Jun 14, 12:10 pm, Luiz <luizotaviobar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is that Oprah's girfriend by any chance?

Seems that way, doesn't it?

(Spoiler alert)

It really frosts me that interviewers will criticize paparazzi and
other media that "invade privacy" (dun, dun, DUUUUNNNNNNNN) and then
they turn right around in their interviews and do exactly the same
thing themselves. Are they playing along, emphasizing the theme of
the record? Hmmmm.... nah, I don't think they're thinking that much
about it. They just don't realize what they're saying one minute to
the next....... There's a word for that.

YBA

Choo Choo

Jun 14, 2011, 12:31:17 PM6/14/11

In my local market, it says that it aired at 10am this morning. I
thought it aired at the same time Oprah was on (4pm here), so I never
bothered to look up the time. This was supposed to help me and my back
surgery get through another day. I feel sunk. Hopefully the CD will
come in the mail. I ordered it through QVC, so I'm not holding my
breath.

Chris

Choo Choo

Jun 14, 2011, 2:45:02 PM6/14/11

Replying to myself and for those who could care...in the Albany NY
area, Gayle King airs again at 5am tomorrow morning.

Chris

jtmtj

Jun 14, 2011, 7:39:14 PM6/14/11

There's a short segment of the interview on Youtube, now. Apparently,
Gayle's under the impression that his marriage was to Linda Allen.
And, Barry says, absolutely, nothing to correct her.

John

Nash's Gramma

Jun 14, 2011, 8:16:33 PM6/14/11

Just from that brief clip, I don't think he likes her very much.The
look in his eyes...he admits he "loves" someone, but refused to give a
name, and says again that you aren't allowed into his life. He
mentions the dogs, but when she asks what their names are, he gets all
pissy again. And it's odd, because he freely mentioned them on the QVC
program. I suspect it's not so much the info, as the interviewer. He
just looked uncomfortable with her. jmho.
CA Sharon

Choo Choo

Jun 14, 2011, 8:21:39 PM6/14/11

And the body language...when have you ever seen him pull his legs up
during an interview? I'm sure that people who read body language and
facial expressions(pursed lips, forced smile.... would have a field
day with all the cues he was giving. Uncomfortable isn't even close to
what he was feeling. "Wrap me up in a box and carry me out of here
right now!" might be more like it.

Chris

Brenda M

Jun 14, 2011, 8:58:13 PM6/14/11
On Jun 14, 8:16 pm, "Nash's Gramma" <starns0...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Just from that brief clip, I don't think he likes her very much.The
> look in his eyes...he admits he "loves" someone, but refused to give a
> name, and says again that you aren't allowed into his life. He
> mentions the dogs, but when she asks what their names are, he gets all
> pissy again. And it's odd, because he freely mentioned them on the QVC
> program. I suspect it's not so much the info, as the interviewer. He
> just looked uncomfortable with her. jmho.
> CA Sharon

It's too bad she put him on the defensive like that. (Or maybe he's
still hung over from meeting 400 people yesterday?)

When he's defensive, we seem to lose the "cool" Barry we've come to
know these last few months and we see the return of Mr.-Stay-The-Hell-
Out-of-My-Life Barry.

Not my favorite Manilow incarnation. It's not an attractive look on
him.

And yeah,, we all realize he's there to promote "15 Minutes" .. .but
he needs to realize that if he's gonna sell this CD, he has to do it
by opening up and letting people get a glimpse of his heart and soul.
If he insists on treating his personal life like Fort Knox, he's going
to come off as unapproachable and unlikeable to potential new fans and
bummer, he's going to lose some sales.

Barry, if you're not up to selling this anymore, fine ... just go get
some R&R and don't do any more talk shows. When you come off like an
iceberg, you're hurting your ultimate efforts, not helping.

Brenda

YBA

Jun 14, 2011, 9:41:15 PM6/14/11
I'm sure that people who read body language and
> facial expressions(pursed lips, forced smile.... would have a field
> day with all the cues he was giving.>
> Chris- Hide quoted text -

Yes. Yes they are.
I'm putting Mr. YBA on this one tonight as soon as the kiddos are in
bed for a full-service "LIghtman Treatment".

A lot of interviews (Barry's as well as others) are a lot more
interesting with the basics of that analysis.

But in this case, you don't need a psych degree or advance training to
realize that a certain someone was not enjoying himself.

YBA

Brenda M

Jun 14, 2011, 10:57:00 PM6/14/11

Well ... to bring back some perspective ... one strike-out isn't so
bad if he's hitting the rest of 'em out of the park.

So, here's hoping he'll get a good night's sleep and be back to being
"our" Barry tomorrow morning.

He's probably just worn out from all this crazy promotional stuff,
poor guy. I sure hope that he and the love of his life have a long
vacation planned for SOON. I'm sure they both really need one. :-(

Brenda.

marvin

Jun 14, 2011, 11:12:52 PM6/14/11

> It's too bad she put him on the defensive like that.  (Or maybe he's
> still hung over from meeting 400 people yesterday?)
>
> When he's defensive, we seem to lose the "cool" Barry we've come to
> know these last few months and we see the return of Mr.-Stay-The-Hell-
> Out-of-My-Life Barry.
>
> Not my favorite Manilow incarnation. It's not an attractive look on
> him.
>
> And yeah,, we all realize he's there to promote "15 Minutes" .. .but
> he needs to realize that if he's gonna sell this CD, he has to do it
> by opening up and letting people get a glimpse of his heart and soul.
> If he insists on treating his personal life like Fort Knox, he's going
> to come off as unapproachable and unlikeable to potential new fans and
> bummer, he's going to lose some sales.
>
> Barry, if you're not up to selling this anymore, fine ... just go get
> some R&R and don't do any more talk shows. When you come off like an
> iceberg, you're hurting your ultimate efforts, not helping.
>
> Brenda

Hi Brenda,
The only revelation we had by hearing Barry on Gayle King was
that for those of us who thought Barry hired Howard Bragman's PR firm
to be more open on his personal life know that this is not the case.
It is the one area that remains constant for Barry through the years.
He is never going to talk about his private life on a talk show-
absolutely never- he was saying to King don't try in the most positive
way he could. . Barry would not reveal this information even if
Suzanne Sommers was the TV interviewer, and we know Suzanne would not
betray Barry's confidence by even asking him such questions on his
private life.l.
I am not sure whether you want to praise Gayle King for making
this effort into his private life and making Barry and probably the
audience very uncomfortable or criticize her for trying something that
is futile. When PR people book guests on talk shows, the research
staffs on these shows are given plenty of details about what their
guests will or will not talk about. Since Gayle King is close with
Oprah and was probably briefed by Barry's PR staff, I can't believe
she had no clue that Barry does not talk on his private life. She
probably was adamant in her private meetings with her staff that she
was going to surprise Barry even though she was probably counseled not
to go into that territory. Short of walking off her show, Gayle King
should not have been surprised at Barry's reaction. Maybe Gayle King
was thinking she would make headlines and publicity for herself by
getting Barry to say who the love of his life is and instead both she
and Barry came across looking bad on a TV show.
Gayle King should have known better. I think she was trying to
manipulate Barry on her show and I can't praise her for that.
Barry is not trying to cover up a scandal like the many
politicians who fell from grace recently. He does not want to give up
the one area of his life that he considers sacred. You may agree or
not agree with Barry's attitude, but Barry should not be forced to
reveal his private life if he does not want to- it is not like he is
being accused of a crime or illegal behavior- then he would be
obligated to talk on his private life.
In all probability, Barry will never be on TV with Gayle King
again and may have had lots of words with her and her staff in private
following the show- I would not be surprised if Barry or his staff
complained to Oprah about the incident.I also did not like Gayle King
implying that she will get close to Barry to find out about his
private life on the air once he rebuffed her. Gayle pushed herself too
far for someone that has a professional, not personal relationship to
Barry Manilow. She comes across as a female Jerry Springer and Barry
does not need to be on her show again if she is going to manipulate
him.
Most of us that had the opportunity of talking with Barry, be
it at a formal interview or a CD signing, know enough not to go down
the road of asking him about his private life. Marvin

Nash's Gramma

Jun 14, 2011, 11:19:47 PM6/14/11
> Brenda.- Hide quoted text -

I just don't think it was being tired or whatever. Again, this is
strictly my opinion, but I really don't think he has a problem opening
up and being friendly...again...the QVC show was so different! Ms.
King admits she was digging, prior to the show, to find out who he was
involved with, etc. And her assertation at the end of the clip that
she would someday get an invitation to his house? Seriously, I think
Barry could have done that interview straight from a month long stay
on a tropical island, doing nothing but sipping mai tais, and STILL
not been happy. I wish I could see the rest of it, and see if his
attitude changed. Or if her's did. Has anyone seen the whole thing,
and what do you think?
CA Sharon

Jackie

Jun 15, 2011, 1:25:28 AM6/15/11

I felt for Barry on this one -- I'm just looking at the YouTube clip,
but it seems she drifted away from what they should have been talking
about and Barry tiredly has to redirect and reestablish or remind her
of what is appropriate and not. She was waaaaaaaay off on thinking he
was married to Linda and as John pointed out, he did nothing to
correct her so perhaps he was resigned to the "let's just get this
over with so I can get out of here."

Even being bestest pals with Oprah doesn't mean she's a good
interviewer or going to angle her way into an invite to one of Barry's
dinner parties.

Jackie

granny...@pandora.be

Jun 15, 2011, 4:49:35 AM6/15/11
> Chris- Hide quoted text -

I would gladly give my "humble" opinion, but again the video is not
viewable in my country (Belgium) Ohwell......

Jeannine

Roy

Jun 15, 2011, 7:25:04 AM6/15/11
On Jun 15, 4:49 am, "granny.ba...@pandora.be"
> Jeannine- Hide quoted text -

I saw the whole interview, not just the You Tube clip. He didn''t seem
that uncomfortable to me UNTIL she got into his personal life. And
he's right-that's nobody's business. Frankly, at this point I don't
think I wanna know.

marvin

Jun 15, 2011, 8:06:25 AM6/15/11

Gayle King wanted to make a name for herself yesterday by being
known as the woman who got Barry to talk about the love of his life.
She was not interested in having Barry to talk about 15 minutes- only
as a way to lead up to what she really wanted. For sure, Barry won't
invite her to his house- she will be the first one to tell everyone on
her show all about his private life- she is very manipulative. Marvin

bythehex

Jun 15, 2011, 8:30:46 AM6/15/11
>    Gayle King wanted to make a name for herself yesterday by being
> known as the woman who got Barry to talk about the love of his life.
> She was not interested in having Barry to talk about 15 minutes- only
> as a way to lead up to what she really wanted. For sure, Barry won't
> invite her to his house- she will be the first one to tell everyone on
> her show all about his private life- she is very manipulative. Marvin- Hide quoted text -

Which, in my opinion, makes her no better than those people who work
for the Star or Enquirer or The Globe. It's not real reporting, and
it's certainly not journalism. It's tabloid gossip at its worst, and
doesn't make her look good. She made the interview about her trying to
get a revelation, rather than making it about her guest and his new
album. This so called method of interviewing has become a pervasive
thing these days and, in a way, fits right in with the theme of 15
Minutes. We've become a culture where it's become the norm to pry into
every corner of a person's life once they're in the public eye -
whether it's warranted or not.

Like any of us, Barry has the right to keep his private life private.
I respect the man for it, he's worked hard for many years and given us
a lot. His time, his talent, his energy, even getting on stage many
times when his health wasn't quite what it should be. Whether we
"know" or think we know anything about his private life isn't the
issue. The issue is that the man has stated, repeatedly, that he
doesn't want to discuss it. That should be all he needs to say,
whether it's to a fan or to Gayle King.

And, let me just state this - there have been many rumors concerning
Gayle King and Oprah. I wonder how she would like it if she was in the
hot seat with someone trying to pry into who she's in love with, and
attempting to get that "revelation" from her? Just saying.

Sharon H.

Brenda M

Jun 15, 2011, 8:47:32 AM6/15/11
Marvin,

This isn't about whether Barry was in the mood to discuss his private
life (although he does need to be more consistent in that regard,
given the difference between QVC and this appearance). It's entirely
about how he allows a pushy interviewer to make him look
unattractive.

JMHO, he needs to not let unwelcome questions throw him off his game.
If he's annoyed, he needs to laugh more and just crank up the charm,
even when he's thinking, "Hey you witch, we didn't agree we'd talk
about this."

And the next time someone asks him, "who do you love," he needs to
just say, "I'd love to answer that question, but then I might have
some explaining to do to someone else, ha ha." He can be evasive, have
fun with it, and still come off fun and charming (young)instead of
defensive and fussy (old).

I just don't want to see one more off-putting interviewer take away
some of his sales, and that's what he let her do by being reactive
instead of proactive.

Brenda

marvin

Jun 15, 2011, 9:12:52 AM6/15/11

You gave good advice for Barry, Brenda. Humor is always a good
throwback to an aggressive interviewer like Gayle King. I was so
surprised that after Barry dissed her question, she had the chutzpah
to imply that she was going to get close to him to get invited to his
home so she could get her information- all on the air. What a low
class person she is. Marvin

Brenda M

Jun 15, 2011, 9:36:27 AM6/15/11

marvin wrote:

> You gave good advice for Barry, Brenda. Humor is always a good
> throwback to an aggressive interviewer like Gayle King. I was so
> surprised that after Barry dissed her question, she had the chutzpah
> to imply that she was going to get close to him to get invited to his
> home so she could get her information- all on the air. What a low
> class person she is. Marvin

She's a little person who wants to make a big name for herself in a
great big hurry.

Just letting Barry sit there and talk about his music wasn't going to
do that.

Oh well ... Live and learn. We won't see Barry back on THAT one.

Brenda

YBA

Jun 15, 2011, 11:29:21 AM6/15/11
> the road of asking him about his private life. Marvin- Hide quoted text -

I was going to say this but Marvin beat me to it. Bravo!
I've never spoken to the guy and even I can figure out what subjects
to approach and what to avoid like the plague.

Brenda, I respectfully disagree. Barry wasn't out of order - King
was. She put him in a bad situation and he handled it with more class
than I would have.

The best thing I can say about her interview is at least it wasn't
Jonathan Ross. When Barry did that show over in the UK, he had to
stop Ross to the effect of (paraphrasing) "The answer is NO - come on,
interview me." Ross was openly making buffoons of his guests and
that's another road most people are smart enough not to attempt.

YBA

meshuga

Jun 15, 2011, 11:41:30 AM6/15/11

> Oh well ... Live and learn. We won't see Barry back on THAT one.

I certainly hope not. Riding Oprah's coattails does not make Gayle an
experienced or **trusted** interviewer. I think the "girl wearing
yellow down front" has a better chance of getting an invitation to
Barry's house than Gayle does.

Amy

Brenda M

Jun 15, 2011, 12:05:21 PM6/15/11
On Jun 15, 11:29 am, YBA <youbeginag...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was going to say this but Marvin beat me to it.  Bravo!
> I've never spoken to the guy and even I can figure out what subjects
> to approach and what to avoid like the plague.

Yeah, but not everybody knows that. We're fans ...we know ... but
c'mon, if we don't know by now that asking Barry about who's he
intimate with is going to get you his "Ice-Ice-Barry" face, we should
lose our club cards.

I'm sure many celebrities she's gonna interview will have no trouble
whatsoever answering her questions. Barry's response really isn't the
norm for celebs anymore.

> Brenda, I respectfully disagree.    Barry wasn't out of order - King
> was.  She put him in a bad situation and he handled it with more class
> than I would have.

It's cool that you disagree ... but hey, you yourself said you thought
his body language was defensive.

And face it ... "defensive" just isn't a good look on anybody,
especially on an older guy trying to compete in a younger guy's
game.

She was an ass. I think we can agree on that. :-)

I just think he could handle these situations a little better than he
does at present.

Brenda

Brenda M

Jun 15, 2011, 12:06:55 PM6/15/11

ROFLMAO - good one, Amy!

By the way, remember during Showstoppers ... when Barry always wore
that yellow jacket on stage ... how fans were starting to show up in
the audience wearing their own yellow blazers?

That was the first thing that flitted through my mind when I heard
that line. :-)

Brenda

Jackie

Jun 15, 2011, 12:34:34 PM6/15/11

I've never been impressed or given Gayle King much thought before, so
her manipulative tactics just lessened the opinion further.

Jackie

Nash's Gramma

Jun 15, 2011, 1:43:00 PM6/15/11

Mine, too!! Bumblebee jackets, my friends and I used to call them.
CA Sharon

Reb

Jun 15, 2011, 2:12:21 PM6/15/11
"granny...@pandora.be" <granny...@pandora.be> wrote in news:d5d85d15-
134d-4b62-b78...@u26g2000vby.googlegroups.com:

> I would gladly give my "humble" opinion, but again the video is not
> viewable in my country (Belgium) Ohwell......
>
> Jeannine

lol sounds to me like you're just gonna have to move ;)

Nash's Gramma

Jun 15, 2011, 2:24:37 PM6/15/11

> I'm sure many celebrities she's gonna interview will have no trouble
> whatsoever answering her questions.  Barry's response really isn't the
> norm for celebs anymore.

Brenda, I think you're right on that one. Most "celebs" would be more
than happy to talk about their current flame, etc. But if Gayle had
really done her homework, as a respectable journalist, she would know
the answers. Seriously, asking him if he had any kids? Kinda think
that's the sort of thing that's pretty hard to hide. I mean, his life
may be private but he's not Howard Hughes.

However, I also agree he could have deflected some of her
intrusiveness with humor. I love the responses you and Patricia came
up with. I think he was just caught off-guard. But I don't think it's
going to affect album sales or how he's percieved by Joe Public. If
anything, it will score points for him. He wasn't rude, but he made it
clear she was overstepping a line, and people can relate to that.
CA Sharon

bythehex

Jun 15, 2011, 3:46:51 PM6/15/11

I disagree that he had to handle it any different than he did. These
shows are pretty much scripted, in that questions are usually
submitted ahead of time and the celebrities either give their answers
or nix the questions that they don't want to answer. This is done for
time purposes. I know this because not only have I been on one of
these type of shows, my son is a Video, TV and film editor.

Anyway, it was fairly obvious that Gayle King wanted a "scoop", and
kept pressing him about it. She was obnoxious, frankly. I think if
someone we didn't know presssured us to talk about something we didn't
want to, we might be annoyed also. Barry is allowed to be annoyed when
he says "NO" to someone and they disregard his wishes. He's not under
any obligation to be happy, or humorous about it.

You know, I think maybe if more celebrities took a page out of Barry's
book and stopped talking about every little thing in their lives,
people would get the hint that there are subjects that are off limits.
And if these interviewers showed a little more respect towards their
guests, it wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Sharon H.

Bunny

Jun 15, 2011, 3:57:44 PM6/15/11
I actually think he did answer with a bit of humor. I think he did an
excellent job in answering her intrusive questions. He was polite, yet
assertive. He has every right to keep his personal life private. And
yes, interviewers do get a list of topics the celebrity will/will not
talk about. She purposely ignored his requests. He is a big name and
has been in the business a very long time. Gayle King should've
respected Barry. She didn't. But, I like the way he handled the
situation. He stuck to his guns and he wasn't rude. (Even managed a
smile at the end. :-))

shado...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2011, 4:04:25 PM6/15/11

You all missed a super interview yesterday. The BMIFC sent out
a hotline message to remeind everyone of GMA Wednesday 6/15
Showbiz Tonight 6/15 and Piers Morgan Friday 5/17.
Last night I decided to watch Showbiz Tonight to see if AJ Hammer
mentioned Barry being on the show for tonight. Oh AJ mentioned
Barry alright but he mentioned that Barry was going to be on the
program (That was last nights show.) The segment was being
called "Manilow Unplugged." I watched waiting till Barry Manilow
came on. Right after the 11:30PM eastern mark was the Biz Buzz.
Selena Gomez because she's been in the hospital sick. Jessica
Simpson sp? because she's doing a new NBC reality show. The
Kardashian's sp? because someone was suing them for 75 or
78 million. And they won so they would not have to pay the
money. Right after that was the Showbiz Tonight Newsmakers
segement with Barry Manilow. AJ first off mentioned 15 Minutes
due out yesterday. Then he asked Barry if he had ever watched
"Keeping Up With The Kardashian's?" Barry said no! AJ told
Barry that he and Barry were going to watch a piece of the
show. They did and AJ asked Barry about the Kardashians
being famous for being famous. He also asked Barry about
Britney Spears. Plus Lady Gaga and what advice would
he give her. The look on Barry face when AJ mentioned
they were going to watch the Kardashian program was
priceless. The look that says "Hum interesting." So I
have no idea if Barry will be on Showbiz Tonight tonight.
Linda

Nash's Gramma

Jun 15, 2011, 4:23:33 PM6/15/11
On Jun 15, 1:04 pm, "shadowma...@gmail.com" <shadowma...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Linda- Hide quoted text -

this gives me a stomachache.

granny...@pandora.be

Jun 15, 2011, 7:13:01 PM6/15/11
On Jun 15, 8:12 pm, Reb <m...@nk.com> wrote:
> "granny.ba...@pandora.be" <granny.ba...@pandora.be> wrote in news:d5d85d15-
> 134d-4b62-b782-df461ab32...@u26g2000vby.googlegroups.com:

> > I would gladly give my "humble" opinion, but again the video is not
> > viewable in my country (Belgium) Ohwell......
>
> > Jeannine
>
> lol sounds to me like you're just gonna have to move ;)

Reb, are you inviting me to come over and move in with you ? ;-))

Jeannine

dcsharon

Jun 15, 2011, 7:21:44 PM6/15/11
On Jun 15, 12:06 pm, Brenda M <bmesku...@aol.com> wrote:

> By the way, remember during Showstoppers ... when Barry always wore
> that yellow jacket on stage ... how fans were starting to show up in
> the audience wearing their own yellow blazers?

Guess I didn't go to enough Showstoppers shows (or 'Live on
Broadway') as I honestly don't remember people in the audiences
sporting yellow jackets (unless you count those that pretended to be
Barry Impersonators). It's not a color I would ever wear, so you
won't see me sporting a yellow dress cut down to there .. or any other
form of yellow! I do recall us asking Gary Speakman -- why the
yellow jacket all the time? All our photos were beginning to look the
same! Garry said Phillip would put out the other colors of those
jackets and Barry would ask for yellow.

I honestly thought about yellow feathers when I heard the "I wore
yellow" lyric. I suspect he'll be getting an eyeful of yellow in the
front rows of shows now.

(DC) Sharon

Tin@

Jun 15, 2011, 7:56:47 PM6/15/11
> think I wanna know.-

But it's clear he's gay, the way Gayle referred to his love, saying
"they" instead of "her", like you would if you knew he liked women,
but using "they" means she knows its a "he", but is respecting his
privacy by saying "they".

gill...@yahoo.co.uk

Jun 15, 2011, 8:00:57 PM6/15/11

I never read such a lame reason to say he's gay, Tina

Brenda M

Jun 15, 2011, 8:10:08 PM6/15/11
On Jun 15, 7:21 pm, dcsharon <dcsha...@aol.com> wrote:

> I honestly thought about yellow feathers when I heard the "I wore
> yellow" lyric. I suspect he'll be getting an eyeful of yellow in the
> front rows of shows now.
>
> (DC) Sharon

True, Sharon.

I'm sure there will be fans who will WANT to play the psycho in the
song.

For the rest of us, I'll bet we never wear yellow again. :-)

Brenda

Brenda M

Jun 15, 2011, 8:09:05 PM6/15/11
On Jun 15, 8:00 pm, "gillwl...@yahoo.co.uk" <gillwl...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:
> I never read such a lame reason to say he's gay, Tina- Hide quoted text -

Well, I think Tin@ meant that it's clear GAYLE thought he was gay.

People have no problem using "him" or "her" when they're referring to
a heterosexual relationship, but "they" is the safe choice when you
either don't know or know but don't want yoru guest storming off the
set of your show.

I know, we respect Barry's privacy, blah blah blah ... but c'mon ....
30 years of this "I can't talk about my partner" crap ... doesn't it
just get freakin' OLD? The only reason I wish Barry WOULD say
something is so we don't have to hear these questions until the end of
time. It's really gotten to be a drag.

Brenda

Jackie

Jun 15, 2011, 8:12:33 PM6/15/11
On Jun 15, 6:21 pm, dcsharon <dcsha...@aol.com> wrote:

> I honestly thought about yellow feathers when I heard the "I wore
> yellow" lyric. I suspect he'll be getting an eyeful of yellow in the
> front rows of shows now.
>
> (DC) Sharon

LOL! Love that idea! That would be a GREAT code for all fans to just
silently follow at his shows. :-)

(Much better than bringing Manilow masks made of the first White
Album / Greatest hits and looking through cut out eyes.)

Jackie

bythehex

Jun 15, 2011, 8:30:21 PM6/15/11

With all due respect, he did say something - he said no, he doesn't
want to talk about his private life.

If he wanted to be rude he would have told everyone it's none of their
f*cking business. God knows if I was him that's how I would have
verbalized it. I don't think he cares, or should care, if fans think
it's old or a drag.

If a man was pressuring a woman to have sex and she said "no", there's
not a woman in the world who wouldn't give the "No means No" speech
and believe it with every fiber of their being. Well, Barry said No.
And in any language, No should be more than enough.

Brenda M

Jun 15, 2011, 10:02:34 PM6/15/11
On Jun 15, 8:30 pm, bythehex <bythe...@aol.com> wrote:

> If a man was pressuring a woman to have sex and she said "no", there's
> not a woman in the world who wouldn't give the "No means No" speech
> and believe it with every fiber of their being. Well, Barry said No.
> And in any language, No should be more than enough.-

And with all due respect ... yes, it SHOULD be.

But has it EVER been? He's been playing the avoidance card
forever ... he's done it politely, he's done it rudely. Tell me ...
did it EVER shut people up? I still have friends and neighbors who
ask me to this day if he's gay (like because I've been a fan forever,
I'm suddenly his spokesperson for Northeastern Ohio. I've answered
"yes", "no," "no idea," "he hasn't said," "I'm clueless," and on and
on until I want to scream.

You think it doesn't piss me off that here he is - beautiful new CD
out, best he's ever done - and we still have people out there who have
more interest in whether or not he's GAY? Us sitting here and going
on about how it SHOULDN'T be like that is silly and pointless. People
are what they are, and as long as Barry keeps that Private/Keep Out
sign on his door, he's going to go right on taking attention away from
his music by acting like he's got something to hide (and let's face
it, that's EXACTLY what the world thinks when a celebrity plays the "I
can't talk about it" card). I just think it's such a damn shame.

And lookit ... it's worse now that everything's all about Facebook and
Twitter and everybody's freakin' need to know everything about
everybody...and that doesn't just apply to celebrities. You tell me
your employer isn't checking up on your credit score or snooping into
what you do online in your off-hours? Or how about the next person
you're thinking about dating? All you have to do to know anybody's
private affairs is Google them. That's just for starters. You should
see some of the websites out there. And let's face it, EVERYBODY on
both sides of the aisle are guilty of finding out everything they can
about everybody they're dealing with, because the technology we have
sitting on our keyboards just makes it all too easy.

Sorry for the rant... it's not you... but this whole interview really
hit a nerve with me. I'm so sorry he ever went on that show. But hell,
if it hadn't been her, it would have been somebody else, and if things
don't change with Barry - and I wouldn't hold my breath betting on
that - there will ALWAYS be somebody else asking the same, stupid,
boring, bullshit questions about ... this ... CRAP.

I'm so done with this whole topic. I'm going to go turn on "15
Minutes." It's a much better use of my time.

Again, not you guys. Sorry. Taking a break.

Brenda

Tin@

Jun 15, 2011, 10:04:49 PM6/15/11
On Jun 15, 5:00 pm, "gillwl...@yahoo.co.uk" <gillwl...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:
> I never read such a lame reason to say he's gay, Tina-

Really? So you usually refer to an unknown as a "they"?

Tin@

Jun 15, 2011, 10:06:00 PM6/15/11

Yep.

> I know, we respect Barry's privacy, blah blah blah ... but c'mon ....
> 30 years of this "I can't talk about my partner" crap ... doesn't it
> just get freakin' OLD?  The only reason I wish Barry WOULD say
> something is so we don't have to hear these questions until the end of
> time.  It's really gotten to be a drag.
>

> Brenda-

Tin@

Jun 15, 2011, 10:08:49 PM6/15/11

Who was talking about old or a drag?

> If a man was pressuring a woman to have sex and she said "no", there's
> not a woman in the world who wouldn't give the "No means No" speech
> and believe it with every fiber of their being. Well, Barry said No.

> And in any language, No should be more than enough.-

Agreed, but that isn't what the discussion is about, it's about
Gayle's use of "they", instead of "him" or "her".

Tin@

Jun 15, 2011, 10:11:54 PM6/15/11
On Jun 15, 7:02 pm, Brenda M <bmesku...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Jun 15, 8:30 pm, bythehex <bythe...@aol.com> wrote:
>

> > If a man was pressuring a woman to have sex and she said "no", there's
> > not a woman in the world who wouldn't give the "No means No" speech
> > and believe it with every fiber of their being. Well, Barry said No.
> > And in any language, No should be more than enough.-
>
> And with all due respect ... yes, it SHOULD be.
>
> But has it EVER been?  He's been playing the avoidance card
> forever ... he's done it politely, he's done it rudely.  Tell me ...
> did it EVER shut people up?  I still have friends and neighbors who
> ask me to this day if he's gay (like because I've been a fan forever,
> I'm suddenly his spokesperson for Northeastern Ohio.  I've answered
> "yes", "no," "no idea," "he hasn't said," "I'm clueless," and on and
> on until I want to scream.
>
> You think it doesn't piss me off that here he is - beautiful new CD
> out, best he's ever done - and we still have people out there who have
> more interest in whether or not he's GAY?

Just for the record, I dont care, I Just noticed Gayle's choice of
words and said so. I like his music, who he is attracted to doesn't
matter one bit to me.

Jackie

Jun 15, 2011, 10:16:49 PM6/15/11

Bottom line, this just isn't the 1950's or 60's or '70s and I really,
really don't think it's going to impact his sales on shows or sales on
albums. It's his choice as to what he wants to reveal -- though any
of us here on the newsgroup and I think across fan world would be the
biggest advocates if he wanted to make any statements. No one is
going to faint, most already assume anyway.

I'll betcha there could be at least one more song on Fifteen Minutes
re: interviews, songs, and the perpetual wanting the peek inside the
life.

Jackie

Message has been deleted

Nash's Gramma

Jun 15, 2011, 10:54:42 PM6/15/11
Maybe Ms King used "they" because she's heard those rumors that he's
become a polygamist.
CA Sharon

Dunbar

Jun 15, 2011, 11:44:57 PM6/15/11
On Jun 15, 5:47 am, Brenda M <bmesku...@aol.com> wrote:
> Marvin,
>
> This isn't about whether Barry was in the mood to discuss his private
> life (although he does need to be more consistent in that regard,
> given the difference between QVC and this appearance). It's entirely
> about how he allows a pushy interviewer to make him look
> unattractive.
>
> JMHO, he needs to not let unwelcome questions throw him off his game.
> If he's annoyed, he needs to laugh more and just crank up the charm,
> even when he's thinking, "Hey you witch, we didn't agree we'd talk
> about this."
>
> And the next time someone asks him, "who do you love," he needs to
> just say, "I'd love to answer that question, but then I might have
> some explaining to do to someone else, ha ha." He can be evasive, have
> fun with it, and still come off fun and charming (young)instead of
> defensive and fussy (old).
>
> I just don't want to see one more off-putting interviewer take away
> some of his sales, and that's what he let her do by being reactive
> instead of proactive.
>
> Brenda

That would've been a great answer for him to give her- woulda shut her
up!

Dunbar

Jun 16, 2011, 12:02:34 AM6/16/11
On Jun 15, 5:00 pm, "gillwl...@yahoo.co.uk" <gillwl...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

Everyone is interested in his private life- most don't want to admit
it, because they know Barry wouldn't like it. Like he would know, but
I think it makes everyone edgy to discuss it. Everyone wants to know
because 30 some years ago, most of us fell for the geeky, love song
slinging guy who seemed like he REALLY needed someone to love him. We
ALL thought we could bring him out of his shell and make him happy.

If anyone on here denies that, they're in denial!

Yes, we all enjoy the music, but we make a personal connection with
people we admire. We want to know about them and Barry can't seem to
understand that.

Gay or not, he has hidden his personal life for so long, everyone will
naturally speculate he's gay. He grew up in an era where you didn't
talk about it and it was shameful. Now it's not, but if he is, he
hasn't changed his mind about how he feels about admitting it. Many
years ago, if he is gay, managers probably told him to shut up about
it- it would've ruined him back then. He was a singer of love songs
and unrequited love and that attracts women like moths to a flame. To
be careless and admit being gay or being seen in gay places would've
ruined him back then.

If he's not gay, then perhaps he just has a weird 'none of your
business' phobia. Maybe back in the day his managers/handlers told
him not to admit to being in a big relationship, though he did squire
Linda A around for a few years, but I think everyone felt 'safe' about
her. She wasn't a bimbo Hollywood type, so we all thought we still
might have a chance with him.

Some people are intensely private, but I would think it would be hard
to be that way with the public spotlight on him all the time.

It's just that we the fans would like to know more about him because
we do care. But he'll never see it that way.

AbiMoore

Jun 16, 2011, 5:41:39 AM6/16/11

Actually - sometimes, yes I do.

I was with friends last night and asked the same question - five out
of the six said they didn't think use of the word "they" was a polite
way of saying anything or meaning anything.
The use of the word "they" to ask after a partner or friend (male or
female) is more common than you think. I don't think it was a
calculated use.

On thinking about it, if I was referring to a woman or man in a
situation or recounting an event, I would say "they".

And, by all accounts, nobody knows for sure WHO his current partner
is...do THEY?

AbiMoore

Jun 16, 2011, 5:44:35 AM6/16/11

I agree with most of what you have said but I find part of your post
ironic seeing as YOU have been the biggest mouthpiece when it comes to
your "all-knowing" knowledge and spouting about this mans private life.

AbiMoore

Jun 16, 2011, 5:46:38 AM6/16/11

If I could, I'd shake your hand for this post.

marvin

Jun 16, 2011, 8:25:15 AM6/16/11

Great post Dunbar and I agree with you that fans of Barry do care
about him.. Given that Barry hired Howard Bragman to do his PR, who is
known for having the skill to bringing out the private life of
celebrities, I am surprised that he hasn't changed his status
regarding sharing his private life with the public. However, I do
understand that there are other people- call them civilians with a
narrow focus as opposed to fans- that may not like Barry being open
about his private life and will stop going to shows, buying records,
etc.- even though we live in a more enlightened era than was the case
when Barry became famous in the 1970s. Barry has an image to protect-
and he has to feel comfortable about taking what might still be a
risky thing for him talking about his private life- even though other
artists like Elton John, Ricky Martin, Adam Lambert, Clay Aiken (and
only after lots of dirt was thrown at Clay) talked about their private
lives.Barry has every right to be private and protect his image as he
sees fit. Marvin

Luiz

Jun 16, 2011, 9:59:01 AM6/16/11
True, but I think he number of new fans he would attract would outnumber the ones he'd lose.
Something tells me, though, that sooner or later he'll decide to be more candid. He's feeling CLEARLY uncomfortable with the whole thing and I think the older we get, the more we seek TRUTH in everything we are and do.
When she asked him if there was a loved one (Thanks to a friend who was able to send me that snippet on video), he could've been hypocritical and simply said "No, my mistress is my music." But he decided not to break his loved one's heart (and appall everybody who knows the real deal) by saying that and, in my book, this is admirable.
But what I mean is, if he didn't care about the truth, he would've handled this whole thing much, much more politically and kind of laughed it off - which he didn't. So, speaking from my own experience, he really came across as someone who's now torn "between survival and right thing to do."

Dunbar

Jun 16, 2011, 10:07:48 AM6/16/11

I agree Luiz. Either way it is ultimately his business and while we
all agree we love what he has done for us over the years, his fans do
want to know about HIM and not the the same old dredged up interviews
about the 'music.' I've watched as many interviews about 15 Min that I
can and it's all the same, same, same. Which is okay, but it would be
nice to pepper it up a bit- and I agree any info either way would do
nothing BUT to gain new fans and admirers.

Reb

Jun 16, 2011, 10:34:25 AM6/16/11
"granny...@pandora.be" <granny...@pandora.be> wrote in news:61bf3e51-
e049-40b6-97d...@36g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:

> Reb, are you inviting me to come over and move in with you ? ;-))
>
> Jeannine

LOL sure..ask Garry for directions ;)

bythehex

Jun 16, 2011, 11:16:35 AM6/16/11
> > With all due respect, he did say something - he said no, he doesn't
> > want to talk about his private life.
>
> > If he wanted to be rude he would have told everyone it's none of their
> > f*cking business. God knows if I was him that's how I would have
> > verbalized it. I don't think he cares, or should care, if fans think
> > it's old or a drag.
>
> > If a man was pressuring a woman to have sex and she said "no", there's
> > not a woman in the world who wouldn't give the "No means No" speech
> > and believe it with every fiber of their being. Well, Barry said No.
> > And in any language, No should be more than enough.
>
> If I could, I'd shake your hand for this post.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. It shows me you're the only one who seems to have understood
what I was referring to, and talking about.

Sharon H.

Message has been deleted

Nash's Gramma

Jun 16, 2011, 12:53:01 PM6/16/11
I just spent ten minutes composing a post, only to have it disappear.
Anyone else have a problem with hitting the Discard button instead of
Send? LOL

Anyway, I was speculating that one thing we haven't mentioned is that
if Barry is indeed in a loving relationship (and I see no reason to
think he's not) then that relationship involves two people. Perhaps
part of his reticence is because the other person wants it that way. I
know that a lot of people in this newsgroup think they know with whom
Barry is involved. But what if you're wrong? What if, (to paraphrase
an unknown author) sometimes a manager is just a manager? And if
you're right, what about the other people involved, people who might
prefer not to share the glare of publicity? Barry doesn't live in a
vacuum, and I think he's being a gentleman in the truest sense of the
word to not bandy his private life in public.

I have seen other entertainers being interviewed, and when asked about
a boyfriend or girlfriend, they decline to name names, saying their
partner prefers to remain anonymous. How is this any different?
Because you assume that if Barry named his partner, it would be male?
Because someone wants their assumptions/ suspicions/opinions verified?
IF, (and I am neither making assumptions nor hiding my head in the
sand) Barry were to hold a press conference and announce he was gay,
do you think the public would let it go at that? No, you know they
wouldn't.

I know I'm not saying anything we haven't said before, a hundred times
in a hundred ways. But Ms. King has apparently made it a hot topic
again. Damn her.
CA Sharon

Dawn

Jun 16, 2011, 1:47:57 PM6/16/11
On Jun 16, 9:53 am, "Nash's Gramma" <starns0...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I just spent ten minutes composing a post, only to have it disappear.
> Anyone else have a problem with hitting the Discard button instead of
> Send? LOL
>
> Anyway, I was speculating that one thing we haven't mentioned is that
> if Barry is indeed in a loving relationship (and I see no reason to
> think he's not) then that relationship involves two people. Perhaps
> part of his reticence is because the other person wants it that way. I
> know that a lot of people in this newsgroup think they know with whom
> Barry is involved. But what if you're wrong? What if, (to paraphrase
> an unknown author) sometimes a manager is just a manager? And if
> you're right, what about the other people involved, people who might
> prefer not to share the glare of publicity? Barry doesn't live in a
> vacuum, and I think he's being a gentleman in the truest sense of the
> word to not bandy his private life in public.
>
> I have seen other entertainers being interviewed, and when asked about
> a boyfriend or girlfriend, they decline to name names, saying their
> partner prefers to remain anonymous. How is this any different?
> Because you assume that if Barry named his partner, it would be male?
> Because someone wants their assumptions/ suspicions/opinions verified?
> IF, (and I am neither making assumptions nor hiding my head in the
> sand) Barry were to hold a press conference and announce he was gay,
> do you think the public would let it go at that? No, you know they
> wouldn't.

I agree with you. I was watching the interview Tavis Smiley did with
Dick Van Dyke. He was on the program a day or two before Barry. He
was talking about the hardest thing for him to write about was his
divorce. His ex-wife passed away a few years ago, or you bet it
wouldn't have been published. They parted amicably because she didn't
want the "celebrity wife" lifestyle.

And that's Dick Van Dyke.

Imagine what it would be like for Barry's companion? Hell comes to
mind.

JMHO.

Dawn

Tin@

Jun 16, 2011, 8:54:19 PM6/16/11
> is...do THEY?-

NOBODY is extreme, I think. Surely close friends know.

AbiMoore

Jun 17, 2011, 6:10:44 AM6/17/11

My own opinion is that it really doesn't matter what or who he's
doing.

When Barry releases music, performs at a show or releases a CD I don't
wonder who he's sharing his bed with. I listen to him sing.

We are never going to know - not from him, anyway - so can't we just
respect the mans wishes and move on?

marvin

Jun 17, 2011, 8:30:04 AM6/17/11

Good post AbiMoore. Please email this to Gayle King and let's hope
she doesn't show up at Barry's home unannounced anytime soon. Marvin

Tin@

Jun 17, 2011, 9:58:19 AM6/17/11

No one said it did matter, I just noted the way Gayle worded things.
Calm down.

> When Barry releases music, performs at a show or releases a CD I don't
> wonder who he's sharing his bed with. I listen to him sing.

I'm sure that's what all of us do.

> We are never going to know - not from him, anyway - so can't we just

> respect the mans wishes and move on?-

There's nothing to even move on from.

Dunbar

Jun 17, 2011, 10:08:38 AM6/17/11

Nobody disrespects his wishes, but that has ALWAYS BEEN the great
thing about this board, is, it used to be open for any sort of
discussion. And Tin is right, there is nothing to move on from.

Maria

Jun 17, 2011, 10:13:39 PM6/17/11
So, I missed this one on tv and I just caught a clip on her website.
It's obviously the clip everyone is talking about. Wow, if I were
her, I would just be embarrassed. I think someone else mentioned how
she didn't do her homework. I know this was mentioned already but I
just can't get over it. He was married to Linda? Really? She knew
because they talked about it in their last interview? Wonder when
that was. I loved that he didn't even bother to correct her.

I didn't think he came off as being pissed off or smug or a jerk. He
was just setting her straight that there was to be no talk of his
personal life. Frankly, I think he handled the whole situation rather
well. He could have just gotten up and walked off the set. He just
stuck to his guns that he wasn't letting her in. I respect that. If
you recall, he did tell the QVC woman the name of the dogs. So, it
depends on who he is talking to. Obviously, she didn't do her
homework, didn't show an ounce of respect for him and she was just
diving in to get some sort of gossip. He wasn't having it. The QVC
woman on the other hand, obviously did all her homework and was a
genuine fan who respected him. He opened up to her. I don't see that
he did anything but show that Gayle King is intrusive and hungry to
break a story.

Maria

marvin

Jun 18, 2011, 9:07:28 AM6/18/11

> Anyway, I was speculating that one thing we haven't mentioned is that
> if Barry is indeed in a loving relationship (and I see no reason to
> think he's not) then that relationship involves two people. Perhaps
> part of his reticence is because the other person wants it that way. I
> know that a lot of people in this newsgroup think they know with whom
> Barry is involved. But what if you're wrong? What if, (to paraphrase
> an unknown author) sometimes a manager is just a manager? And if
> you're right, what about the other people involved, people who might
> prefer not to share the glare of publicity? Barry doesn't live in a
> vacuum, and I think he's being a gentleman in the truest sense of the
> word to not bandy his private life in public.

I agree Sharon that Barry is a gentleman about this matter and
you are correct that nobody has knowledge here that can make you go
and swear on a bible that "I know the truth, the whole truth, and
nothing but the truth about Barry Manilow's private life". However,
some of the fans (unlike Gayle King) have known people that know Barry
over the years that are/were close to Barry and seen him in Palm
Springs and if enough people- particularly people in show business-
tell you enough times that Barry is involved with whomever he is or
was involved with, then there is still no proof, but a lot more
credibility to the gossip.
We respect Barry's privacy as do those that genuinely admire
him- I am sure for example if Barry's ex-wife was not a fine person,
she could have written a very credible book at the time regarding
their time together.
Like you, I wish Ms. King would have had the grace to not ask
Barry about that subject- and then making matters worse by not letting
up, being so unprofessional by implying that she will have a personal
relationship with Barry to get her information right to his face on
the air making him and the audience very uncomfortable. Marvin