My Dream Duets--A Grammy Nominee!

Carmen

Dec 7, 2015, 8:58:38 AM12/7/15
My Dream Duets, by Barry & Various Artists (as the Grammy website put it) IS a nominee in the usual category--Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album.

The other nominees in the category are:

The Silver Lining: The Songs of Jerome Kern--Tony Bennett & Bill Charlap Shadows in the Night--Bob Dylan
Stages--Josh Groban
No One Ever Tells You--Seth MacFarlane

http://www.grammy.com/nominees (It's Category #7)

It'll probably go to Tony Bennett, as usual. I wouldn't mind if it went to Josh, though. My local PBS station aired a concert based on the Stages CD this past Friday night & I really enjoyed it. I haven't heard the Dylan CD, so I can't comment on it.

Also... I've gotta say, Seth MacFarlane is a surprisingly good singer--not like you'd think based on the other stuff he's known for, like "Family Guy". I watched the "Sinatra 100" special the Grammys produced, to mark the upcoming 100th anniversary of Frank Sinatra's birth, which was on CBS last night. Seth was the host, & he also sang at least a couple of solos (I remember 2)--1 was as part of a group, as I remember, & the other was a legitimate solo. He acquitted himself very well, vocally.

dcsharon

Dec 7, 2015, 9:52:14 AM12/7/15
I was really surprised Barry wasn't part of the "Sinatra at 100" celebration.

They featured GRAMMY-nominated artists (as we know the GRAMMY's are on CBS ... thanks for telling us 100 times!) and Barry is both a past and current nominee (but they filmed this a week ago, so the 2016 nominations weren't announced, but we knew MDD was under consideration).

One of the Coachella charities the Gift of Love concerts benefits (I believe) is Barbara Sinatra's.

The always present interview comment by Mr. Sinatra "he's next" (which I think I read in the current PS Life magazine).

He recorded a Sinatra tribute CD (that I really liked, BTW). I may add that to my playlist today.

They play Barry's music on XMSirius Simply Sinatra channel.

(DC) Sharon

Maria M

Dec 7, 2015, 10:13:21 AM12/7/15
Wonderful & exciting news! So happy for Barry & all involved with the My Dream Duets project.

Have loved this cd from the beginning and so happy for Barry for getting recognized for it.

Truly fabulous!

Maria

IreneH

Dec 7, 2015, 12:04:55 PM12/7/15
Surely they wouldn't have the nerve to give it to Bennett again. It would be getting ridiculous. Is there an award for technical production or some such like. I would have thought it would have qualified for something like that considering what was involved in the making if it.

IreneH

Dec 7, 2015, 12:09:23 PM12/7/15
If Barry doesn't win, it would be nice for Josh to get it. I tried to get tickets for his show next year but the Manchester tickets were sold out. Love his voice.

dcsharon

Dec 7, 2015, 12:46:10 PM12/7/15
Hi Irene ...

Josh tweeted that more seats were released for his sold out shows here in the US a day or so before the concert. Hopefully he'll do the same in the UK.

(DC) Sharon

IreneH

Dec 7, 2015, 1:10:33 PM12/7/15
Thanks Sharon

dcsharon

Dec 7, 2015, 8:31:08 PM12/7/15
Josh posted a nice video about the GRAMMY nomination saying that he is glad to be in the company of such great musicians. Hopefully the link works. :-)

https://www.facebook.com/JoshGroban/videos/10153392511553002/

(DC) Sharon

Carmen

Dec 7, 2015, 11:25:05 PM12/7/15
(DC) Sharon--

According to the entertainment columns/blogs in the major Las Vegas papers (the Sun & the Review-Journal), the Sinatra 100 special was taped during a live performance that took place at the Encore Theatre at the Wynn/Encore resorts there this past Wednesday night, December 2nd (at least 2 of the 3 columnists were there, & their columns the next day were, basically, timelines of the performance/taping of the special). So it still has been less than a week since it was originally performed.

I would've liked to have seen Barry on it too; after all, he has 1 Grammy & has been nominated for I've lost track of exactly how many other Grammys at this point in his career, including this year--both for his work as a singer & his work as a producer, etc., for himself & other artists. And, as you also said, he has other "connections" to Sinatra.

But he wasn't on the special, & I don't think there's necessarily any value in speculating why he wasn't.

Besides, if you go by the facts that he's a Grammy-winner & he did a "tribute" album based on Sinatra's song catalog, then there are also (probably) a bunch of artists with the same "qualifications" who also didn't appear on the special--like Michael Bolton (the first other artist who came to mind).

I know both Barry's & Sinatra's song catalogs are extensive, & there's only so much space available for songs on any type of audio recording media, but after watching the Sinatra special last night I think the number of songs connected to Sinatra that Barry recorded but *didn't* put on the Sinatra "tribute" CD, they were on other CDs instead, was really surprising. It almost seemed like Barry has also recorded about every second or maybe third song that aired on the Sinatra special, regardless of which CD he put them on.

dcsharon

Dec 8, 2015, 10:19:47 AM12/8/15

Hi Carmen -

I knew the special was recorded earlier in the week as I had entered a couple different contests to win tickets.

I think it is interesting to speculate "why" he wasn't included. There are a number of events where Barry was in the "neighborhood" ("We are the world" recording, comes to mind) where he wasn't included. I think a forum where people say they wonder why he wasn't included, may show that there is interest in seeing him at some of these special events.

We'll never know of course, if he was asked and chose not to perform, or if the invitation didn't come.

In any event, since he is so supportive of the Barbara Sinatra charity with the Gift of Love concerts, I found it odd that he wasn't a performer the "Sinatra at 100" concerts - especially since MDD was in the pool of nominations for a GRAMMY (and now we know it is a nominee).

(DC) Sharon

marvin

Dec 8, 2015, 2:31:39 PM12/8/15
It is hard to speculate on why Barry wasn't selected for the Sinatra at 100 special. Even though Sinatra was quoted as saying that Barry is next, referring to admiration for Barry as a performer with a long career, I find it odd that Sinatra, if he really did admire Barry, never did a duet with Barry on his many duets albums. Sinatra worked with Neil Diamond, Kenny G, Barbra, Tony Bennett, Bono on the duets albums. but never chose Barry. On the positive side, Sinatra did record "I Write The Songs" as "I Sing The Songs". Marvin

Blintzy

Dec 8, 2015, 3:43:36 PM12/8/15
Maybe Manilow and the Sinatra estate fell out when they refused him permission to include a duet with Frank on the Dream Duets album.

annielove...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2015, 8:12:49 PM12/8/15
So great to hear the MDD's is up for a grammy! I love that Mr M took a creative risk and is being recognized for that.

Annie

marvin

Dec 9, 2015, 12:47:49 AM12/9/15

Maybe Manilow and the Sinatra estate fell out when they refused him permission to include a duet with Frank on the Dream Duets album.

I think you are right Blintzy. Celine Dion did a duet with Sinatra on All The Way after Frank Sinatra passed away, so she got permission from the estate Who knows why Barry did not get the permission? Maybe the Sinatra estate wanted more money from Barry than he wanted to give them, but whatever the reason, it is unfortunate as Barry did outstanding work in the Sinatra tribute album and the estate should have let Barry do a dream duet with Sinatra.
It is also a shame that Frank Sinatra never did a live duet with Barry on either of Sinatra's two duet albums, given that Barry idolized both of Frank Sinatra's arrangers Nelson Riddle and Gordon Jenkins. Regards, Marvin

Carmen

Dec 9, 2015, 4:03:30 AM12/9/15
Marvin--

I'm also a Celine Dion fan. The duet she did with Frank Sinatra was on the song "All the Way", which she did as a solo on the "Sinatra 100" special the other night. It's said to have been the wedding song when Celine married her husband, & former manager (he recently retired due to a recurrence of throat cancer), René Angelil in 1994.

The song was done as a "virtual" duet between Celine & Sinatra; probably recorded in the same/a similar way as Barry did "My Dream Duets". But... It WASN'T done this way because it was (as with the MDD recordings) recorded after Sinatra's death, as you claimed in your post.

Sinatra *was* still alive at the time the duet was recorded, so I'm not sure why his part wasn't recorded "live" for this version of the song. Nor do I choose to speculate on why.

Anyway... The duet was recorded as 1 of 9 new songs which appeared on the North American version of Celine's greatest hits compilation, "All the Way... a Decade of Song" (versions of this compilation released in other parts of the world had varying numbers of new songs & total, overall, included tracks from our version). This compilation was released (in the US) in November, 1997--before Celine took her first 2-year hiatus from her career, to concentrate on having her first child with her husband.

The release date of the compilation (&, therefore, the recording of the Sinatra duet) was over 6 months *before* Sinatra's death. He didn't die until May, 1998. So she wouldn't have needed permission to use his vocals because he had already passed away.

I suppose, though, she/her producer(s) on the compilation's new songs could've/probably still needed permission from Sinatra, or "his people", for his vocals/whatever else they wanted from his recording (like the music) to be used on Celine's duet because (if I remember correctly), like with the MDD recordings, *at least* Sinatra's vocals, if not also the music, came from a version of "All the Way" which he had previously recorded.

I remember the Sinatra vocal part in the song was from a previous recording of it by him, but I don't remember how they described "the mechanics" of putting the voices together... Were they both put to a new musical arrangement, like Barry did with the MDD performances, or was Celine's voice simply added onto a previous Sinatra recording of the song.

Dee

Dec 9, 2015, 4:04:52 AM12/9/15
At the time the reason given was that it was going to be Sinatra's 100th celebrations so the family/estate didn't want anything to distract from that.

Carmen

Dec 9, 2015, 6:59:26 AM12/9/15
The other day, I said something about having lost track of how many Grammy nominations Barry has received. According to Retweets received by my Twitter feed yesterday, this is his 15th nomination. But I don't know if whomever did the counting only counted the nominations for work released by Barry in his name OR if they also counted any nominations he's received for his work as a Producer, etc., on other artists' recordings,Iike Bette's stuff (which also count toward his nominations/can count toward them, depending on the category).

On another note, I just did some research on the Traditional Pop Vocal Album category for another post on another message board. I thought I might share it.

The award category has been in existence/presented since 1992--so, as of the last (2015) Grammys, it's been around for 23 years.

By my count, using the Wikipedia page for this Grammy category, Barry has received 7 nominations in this category alone, as of the current MDD nomination. This is counting both recordings released under his name, like MDD, & nominations received as the Producer/Co-Producer of recordings such as Bette Midler's Rosemary Clooney & Peggy Lee Songbook CDs. This is 1 of the Grammy categories where the award goes to both the artist & the producer, at least since 2001, so that's why I've counted these nominations. Nancy Wilson's "With My Lover Beside Me" album (of Johnny Mercer lyrics & Barry's music), which Barry produced, was a 1993 nominee in this category but (apparently) doesn't count towards Barry's nominations because producers weren't Grammy recipients in the category until 2001.

Also... Of the 23 years in which this Grammy category has already been awarded, it turns out Tony Bennett has been nominated 14 times (15 counting the current, yet to be awarded, nomination) & won 12; 2 of those 12 wins were for CDs done with kd lang & Lady Gaga.

The 12 wins are the most by the same artist in this category (& are almost half of the awards already presented in the category). Tony Bennett's only 2 losses as a nominee in the category (pending the results from the current nominations) have been in 2010 & 2014; both were to Michael Bublé.

marvin

Dec 9, 2015, 8:31:05 AM12/9/15
Thanks for the research and comments on Celine and Tony Bennett among other topics. You know more than most people about the music business and I appreciate all the information you share with us.
Regarding Tony Bennett, I realize he is a big star and continues to have a lucrative career and is a legend. But even with his stature, I find it strange that those who vote for the best traditional pop category always seem to put his name on the front of the list. There are many others- Barry, Barbra, etc. that are just as deserving of this honor. I am not saying that the voters are friends and relatives of Tony Bennett, but even if it was Barbra or Barry who always won this award, there is something fundamentally wrong for the same artist to win this award so often.
I refuse to believe that Tony Bennett's work is continually better than that of any other artist in the traditional pop album category for so many years. No one artist can possibly be that artistically better than others for so long. Regards, Marvin