Is this sentence correct?

Zingo

Apr 20, 2010, 6:18:39 AM4/20/10
to sb_s...@hotmail.com
Any native speakers in here?

Is this correct English: "We who love Ireland the one week that it's
not raining"?

--
Thanks

Nick

Apr 20, 2010, 8:05:37 AM4/20/10

Yep, Zingo - I would say that was hunky-dory! :-)

Nick from England

Zingo

Apr 20, 2010, 9:07:17 AM4/20/10
On 20 Apr, 13:05, Nick <andar...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> Yep, Zingo - I would say that was hunky-dory! :-)

Ok, thanks. If I put it like this, which one of these three sounds
most correct:

1. "We who love Ireland the one week a year that it's not raining"
2. "We who love Ireland the one week of year that it's not raining"
3. "We who love Ireland the one week of the year that it's not
raining"

Pat Durkin

Apr 20, 2010, 9:22:10 AM4/20/10

"Zingo" <stef...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Any native speakers in here?
>
> Is this correct English: "We who love Ireland the one week that it's
> not raining"?

It is a fragment, and not a complete sentence. Though correct in
structure, it simply identifies a group of people.

In a conversation, one might use this fragment in answering a
question.

John Dean

Apr 20, 2010, 10:21:51 AM4/20/10

No, there's a bit missing.
--
John Dean
Oxford

Ian Jackson

Apr 20, 2010, 11:52:11 AM4/20/10
In message <835rll...@mid.individual.net>, John Dean
<john...@fraglineone.net> writes

>Zingo wrote:
>> Any native speakers in here?
>>
>> Is this correct English: "We who love Ireland the one week that it's
>> not raining"?
>
>No, there's a bit missing.

Or it's got the extra word "who".
--
Ian

Chris R

Apr 20, 2010, 1:08:32 PM4/20/10
>> Yep, Zingo - I would say that was hunky-dory! :-)
>
> Ok, thanks. If I put it like this, which one of these three sounds
> most correct:
>
> 1. "We who love Ireland the one week a year that it's not raining"
> 2. "We who love Ireland the one week of year that it's not raining"
> 3. "We who love Ireland the one week of the year that it's not
> raining"

1 and 3 are OK, 2 is not.

Chris R

John Dean

Apr 20, 2010, 1:37:57 PM4/20/10

Or, indeed, the extra words"We who the one week that it's not raining"
--
John Dean
Oxford

Leslie Danks

Apr 20, 2010, 2:10:04 PM4/20/10
John Dean wrote:

Or the extra words "We who love Ireland the one week that" and "not".

--
Les (BrE)

GFH

Apr 20, 2010, 2:39:53 PM4/20/10
On 20 apr, 12:18, Zingo <stefan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any native speakers in here?
>
> Is this correct English: "We who love Ireland ....."

What? Are you kidding? I could not get past the fourth word.

GFH