How do I write dates in Roman numerals?

Chris Tsao

Feb 13, 2010, 8:02:02 PM2/13/10
1999 = MCMXCIX

14 = XIIII

Are you supposed to write dates in Roman numerals in the same order
that you write the day, year and month in America (month, date and the
year) or are you supposed to do it like it's done in England (year,
month and then the day)?

In other words, how would I write January 14, 1999 in Roman numerals?
Like this: January XIIII MCMXCIX, or like this: MCMXCIX January XIIII
or both or some other way? Thanks again.

RayH

Feb 13, 2010, 8:19:14 PM2/13/10
> In other words, how would I write January 14, 1999 in Roman numerals?

I've never seen anything but the year written in Roman numerals. If
you need to write the complete date don't use Roman numerals at all.

Native speaker of U. S. English. Not a grammar expert.

RayH: http://www.englishforums.com/user/nlrg/profile.htm

Odysseus

Feb 13, 2010, 9:07:36 PM2/13/10
In article
<e8355f6c-0307-48a6...@d27g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>,
Chris Tsao <rigid...@aol.com> wrote:

> 1999 = MCMXCIX
>
> 14 = XIIII

Not normally: write "XIV" unless you're aiming for an especially
quaintly-archaistic effect. A mediaeval accountant might write "xiiij".

--
Odysseus

Grammar Geek

Feb 13, 2010, 9:21:54 PM2/13/10
As an aside, 14 is XIV, not XII -- that's 12.

Barbara, who answers in American English. My housekeeping skills
attest to the truth of the second law of thermodynamics: Left to
themselves, things get more and more random!

Grammar Geek: http://www.englishforums.com/user/hvrb/profile.htm

Grammar Geek

Feb 13, 2010, 9:28:11 PM2/13/10
As an aside, 14 is XIV, not XII -- that's 12.
EDIT: Sorry - I took
so long to hit "post" that I become redundant.

Dr Peter Young

Feb 14, 2010, 3:37:58 AM2/14/10

> 1999 = MCMXCIX

> 14 = XIIII

There used to be a custom, which my mother (born 1911) used to follow,
of writing dates in lower-case Roman numerals, Today (BrE date format)
would be xiv.ii.mmx

With best wishes,

Peter.

(US equivalent: Certified Anesthesiologist)
http://pnyoung.orpheusweb.co.uk

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Feb 14, 2010, 5:52:04 AM2/14/10
On 2010-02-14 09:37:58 +0100, Dr Peter Young <pny...@ormail.co.uk> said:

> On 14 Feb 2010 Chris Tsao <rigid...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> 1999 = MCMXCIX
>
>> 14 = XIIII
>
>> Are you supposed to write dates in Roman numerals in the same order
>> that you write the day, year and month in America (month, date and the
>> year) or are you supposed to do it like it's done in England (year,
>> month and then the day)?
>
>> In other words, how would I write January 14, 1999 in Roman numerals?
>> Like this: January XIIII MCMXCIX, or like this: MCMXCIX January XIIII
>> or both or some other way? Thanks again.

Didn't the BBC date programmes made in 1999 as IMM, or am I dreaming?
Some time in the 1970s they stopped putting, say, 1975 in favour of
MCMLXV. It was obviously to make it less obvious to the public how many
repeats they were showing, but they offered some utterly spurious
reason.

> There used to be a custom, which my mother (born 1911) used to follow,
> of writing dates in lower-case Roman numerals, Today (BrE date format)
> would be xiv.ii.mmx

I've never seen that, but I sometimes use lower-case Roman numerals for
the month, as in 14.ii.2010. Usually, though, I write it in full: 14
February 2010.
--
athel

Chris Tsao

Feb 14, 2010, 7:04:34 AM2/14/10
On Feb 13, 9:07 pm, Odysseus <odysseus1479...@yahoo-dot.ca> wrote:
> In article
> <e8355f6c-0307-48a6-9d14-f9b517753...@d27g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>,

>  Chris Tsao <rigida7...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > 1999 = MCMXCIX
>
> > 14 = XIIII
>
> Not normally: write "XIV" unless you're aiming for an especially
> quaintly-archaistic effect. A mediaeval accountant might write "xiiij".
>
> --
> Odysseus

I am going for the mediaeval effect. I thought it might be amusing
sending people letters and stuff dated with roman numerals.

Chris Tsao

Feb 14, 2010, 7:05:33 AM2/14/10

affect, i mean

Ian Jackson

Feb 14, 2010, 8:21:22 AM2/14/10
In message
<b48d2151-f340-4a1f...@b7g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
Chris Tsao <rigid...@aol.com> writes

No, you didn't.
You were right the first time (I think!).
--
Ian

tony cooper

Feb 14, 2010, 8:56:42 AM2/14/10

"Effect" is right for your sentence.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Chris Tsao

Feb 14, 2010, 9:23:02 AM2/14/10
> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida- Hide quoted text -

Thank you.

Message has been deleted

Peter Duncanson (BrE)

Feb 14, 2010, 10:06:54 AM2/14/10
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:41:06 +0000, Zhang Dawei <fe...@sibianzhe.com>
wrote:

>Chris Tsao wrote:
>
>> Are you supposed to write dates in Roman numerals in the same order
>> that you write the day, year and month in America (month, date and
>> the year) or are you supposed to do it like it's done in England
>> (year, month and then the day)?
>

>Slight correction: In the UK (which is what I think you meant by
>"England") I don't think the sequence year, month, and then day, has
>ever been a very popular way of writing a date: it is more often
>written as day, month, year, leading sometimes to potential confusion
>with the USA habit of month, day, year.

The sequence month, day, year is often used in the UK for the issue
dates printed on newspapers, but only with the month as a word. For
example today's Sunday Times has "FEBRUARY 14, 2010" on the front page.
All other pages are dated "14.02.01".

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.english.usage)

Message has been deleted

Patok

Feb 14, 2010, 12:29:53 PM2/14/10

The official way of writing dates in parts of Eastern Europe (the
parts I know of were Bulgaria and the Soviet Union) was very similar -
the month was in Roman numerals. Today's date would be written as
14.II.2010. All official documentation (both hand-written and typed) had
the dates in that format. That's the only way I ever remember writing
dates, and there was a curious trick for hand-writing the roman portion
too. One did not write the individual letters completely - the II would
be written out as two vertical strokes, ||, and then one horizontal line
would be placed above, and another one below below the entire roman
numeral group, making it visually a single glyph.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.

Ian Jackson

Feb 14, 2010, 12:40:59 PM2/14/10
In message <hl9bub$f5u$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, Patok
<crazy.d...@gmail.com> writes
I think that's how most people write Roman numerals - write all the
letters, then draw a bar above and below.
--
Ian

GFH

Feb 14, 2010, 3:51:51 PM2/14/10
On Feb 13, 8:02 pm, Chris Tsao <rigida7...@aol.com> wrote:

> 14 = XIIII

If that floats your boat. Mine is floated by XIV.

GFH

Ian Jackson

Feb 14, 2010, 4:11:41 PM2/14/10
In message
<df369dbe-681f-476b...@v25g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>, GFH
<geo...@ankerstein.org> writes

>On Feb 13, 8:02�pm, Chris Tsao <rigida7...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> 14 = XIIII
>
>If that floats your boat. Mine is floated by XIV.

If I remember correctly, although rarely used, 'IIII' is indeed an
alternative to 'IV'.
--
Ian

Peter Duncanson (BrE)

Feb 14, 2010, 4:42:36 PM2/14/10
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 12:51:51 -0800 (PST), GFH <geo...@ankerstein.org>
wrote:

>On Feb 13, 8:02�pm, Chris Tsao <rigida7...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> 14 = XIIII
>
>If that floats your boat. Mine is floated by XIV.

Both XIIII and XIV are lopsided. Boats like that would not float too
well. This is nice and symmetrical: XIIIIIIX.

John Varela

Feb 14, 2010, 4:58:30 PM2/14/10

Generally only seen on the dials of grandfather clocks.

--
John Varela
Trade NEWlamps for OLDlamps for email

JAG (Nieuws)

Feb 15, 2010, 9:27:13 AM2/15/10

>sending people letters and stuff dated with Roman numerals.

In which case, why not go for the Latin date:
To-day, 14.02.2010, xiv.ii.mmx would be:
Ante diem xvj kalendas martias anno Domini MMX, abbreviated to
a.d xvj kal. Mart. AD MMX

A table of the Latin Kalendar is at:
www.episc.org.uk/pub/lat-kal.pdf
John

**Replies to <u04...@lineone.net> have a 1Kb maximum filter.
Please ask for alternate address if you wish directly to reply,
include a + in the subject line.
Messages to i12 address are normally deleted**

--
John A Green
Leigh (Lancashire) or Aberdeen

Offramp

Feb 16, 2010, 8:41:49 AM2/16/10
On 14 Feb, 10:52, Athel Cornish-Bowden <acorn...@ibsm.cnrs-mrs.fr>
wrote:
> On 2010-02-14 09:37:58 +0100, Dr Peter Young <pnyo...@ormail.co.uk> said:

I have seen that quite often and I think it looks quite good. 14 ii
2010.

Chris Tsao

Feb 16, 2010, 7:04:39 PM2/16/10
> Leigh (Lancashire) or Aberdeen- Hide quoted text -

Around a decade ago, I got the idea to use the Year of the World to
type dates. I posted a question about it in here back on May 2, 2002.
I have these notes below saved in a file to help me figure out the
math when needed.

the Year of the World
Anno Mundi (Latin: "in the year of the world") abbreviated as AM or
A.M., refers to a Calendar era counting from the Biblical creation of
the world.

Anno Mundi [L, year of the world]. The year since the creation of the
world, according to biblical revelation, abbreviated AM. Medieval
scholars were not uniform as to when this might have been. The Irish
Annals of the Four Masters posited 5090 BC; e.g. 1000 BC would be 4090
AM. The influential Anglo-Saxon historian the Venerable Bede (8th
cent.) suggested 3952 BC. Also widely cited were 5200 BC and 5198 BC.

mm

Feb 16, 2010, 9:24:29 PM2/16/10

The Jewish year is 5770. This was calculated by adding up the ages of
people listed in the Jewish Bible, that is, the ages they were when
they had children themslves.
--
Posters should say where they live, and for which area
they are asking questions. I was born and then lived in