drug and alcohol abuse counseling

1 view

Rick Stanley

Jun 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/21/00
Hi Geniuses,

This is newbie,wanna-be,dummy,piss-ant. Did I leave anyone out?

Don`t get wrathy again girls,I`m only joking.

Thanks for your advise on Canyon College. The problem is,that I can`t
find a similar program. So,I`ll stick my neck out again,and ask another
dumb question. Try and bite your tongues and humor me.

The Canyon site offered a "Bachelors in Counseling Degree",requiring
completion of ten of the following courses offered:

Educational Psychology
General Psychology
Human Growth and Development
Professional Ethics
Family Dynamics
Social Psychology
Abnormal Psychology
Diagnostic Techniques
Addictions and Interventions
Crisis Intervention
Statistics and Research Methods
Intro to Psychotherapy and Counseling

Then there`s a required Field Practicum,at the end.

Maybe this is how Canyon suckers in wanna-be-piss-ants,I don`t know,but
I haven`t found one of the "Bear Approved",distance learning
establishments that offer this program.

What do you geniuses suggest? And for christ`s sake,lighten up.

Thanks again,
Dumber than Dirt

Steve Levicoff

Jun 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/21/00
to Rick Stanley
Rick Stanley wrote:

> Hi Geniuses,
>
> This is newbie,wanna-be,dummy,piss-ant. Did I leave anyone out?

Not at all. You may turn away from your mirrow now and focus your
attention on your inquiry.

> Don`t get wrathy again girls,I`m only joking.

Since I am, to my knowledge, the only openl gay person on the newsgroup
(although there are a few others who are not as "out of the closet"), I
hate to tell you this, but it's a new century. We no longer cross
pronouns.

> Thanks for your advise on Canyon College. The problem is,that I can`t
> find a similar program. So,I`ll stick my neck out again,and ask another
> dumb question. Try and bite your tongues and humor me.

Similar program? As in degree mill? There are many that can promise
the world to you, but they would deliver it about as fast as . . .
Canyon College.

> The Canyon site offered a "Bachelors in Counseling Degree",requiring
> completion of ten of the following courses offered:
>
> Educational Psychology
> General Psychology
> Human Growth and Development
> Professional Ethics
> Family Dynamics
> Social Psychology
> Abnormal Psychology
> Diagnostic Techniques
> Addictions and Interventions
> Crisis Intervention
> Statistics and Research Methods
> Intro to Psychotherapy and Counseling
>
> Then there`s a required Field Practicum,at the end.

Alright, I hate to refer you back to one of my books, but go to my home
page and surf to "Name It & Frame It," chapter 11, which addresses
counseling programs, good and bad (the full text is on the web). The
focus is on religious programs, but it will give you some solid
knowledge about counseling education in general.

The first thing you will find is that a bachelor's degree in counseling
is not generally useful if your fantasy - sorry, your goal - is to
engage in private practice. With a B.S. in counseling, you are limited
to playing psych aide or, perhaps, doing substance abuse counseling at a
junior level.

Almost all states now have counseling licensure - some have voluntary
title acts (anyone can counsel professionally, but you must be licensed
to call yourself an L.P.C.) and others have mandatory practice acts (in
which you *must* be licensed, regardless of what you call yourself).
And in virtually all licensure states, the *minimum* credential for
licensure is a 48-credit master's degree (many states are moving toward
a 60-credit master's degree standard). Therefore, if you want to become
a professional counselor, you're looking at a more significant
investment than simply earning a bachelor's degree. (Incidentally, most
states also specify regionally accredited degrees.)

Next issue: While I haven't looked at their web site recently, Canyon's
program, phonhy as it is, probably neglects the liberal arts component.
In any credible program, a bachelor's degree implies "breadth and
depth." For better or worse, therefore, a bachelor's consists of more
than just a dozen courses with counseling titles - almost all legit
programs have a distribution requirement that crosses over into the
liberal arts.

> Maybe this is how Canyon suckers in wanna-be-piss-ants,I don`t know,but
> I haven`t found one of the "Bear Approved",distance learning
> establishments that offer this program.

No, Canyon suckers in wanna-be-piss-ants who were too dumb to come to
this newsgroup in the first place. Don't pat yourself on teh back too
hard, but you were obviously smart enough to inquire about them in the
first place.

(Incidentally, I hope you found the "Let My Flegle Go" letter, since it
has the most background on Canyon that has appeared here.)

> What do you geniuses suggest? And for christ`s sake,lighten up.

In a word, Liberty. (Everybody say, "Amen!") Seriously, the best
counseling programs available through distance education are at good ol'
Jerry Falwell's school, Liberty University, a remarkable school that
managed to get regionally accredited in what was then record time.
Surprising as it may seem, one does not have to be a conservative
Baptist wazoo to go there - in fact, when I took a summer course there
several years ago, there were many liberal and secular students. (They
do not hold their distance or modular students to the same doctrinal
standard that they hold their traditional residential students.) And
since Liberty is located in a mandatory practice act licensure state,
their program comports to licensure requiremets more closely than any
other I've seen. Be aware, however, that they do require a residency of
a whopping week or two (for the entire program).

Also remember that if you want to do yoru own thing, you will have more
flexibility combining courses (adn even independent studies) and
transferring the credit into one of the "big three" like Thomas Edison
State College, Regents College, or Charter Oak State College. It all
depends on the learning mdoel under which *you* function best.

> Thanks again,
> Dumber than Dirt

You're welcome. And if you must call yourself Dumber than Dirt, kindly
don't abbreviate it. There are enough bozos out there using the "D.D."
title already.

--
,-~~-.___.
/ | ' \

Kevin Stewart

Jun 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/21/00

Steve Levicoff wrote in message <395132BA...@ix.netcom.com>...

>Rick Stanley wrote:
>
>> Hi Geniuses,

Hello.

>> This is newbie,wanna-be,dummy,piss-ant. Did I leave anyone out?

>Not at all. You may turn away from your mirrow now and focus your
>attention on your inquiry.

Awww, let the little flagellant wallow!

>> The Canyon site offered a "Bachelors in Counseling Degree",requiring
>> completion of ten of the following courses offered:
>>
>> Educational Psychology
>> General Psychology
>> Human Growth and Development
>> Professional Ethics
>> Family Dynamics
>> Social Psychology
>> Abnormal Psychology
>> Diagnostic Techniques
>> Addictions and Interventions
>> Crisis Intervention
>> Statistics and Research Methods
>> Intro to Psychotherapy and Counseling
>>
>> Then there`s a required Field Practicum,at the end.

Wow, *over* 30 credits! BTW, laddie, what you have here is, AFAIK, a fairly
standard undergrad Psychology major. In fact, 7 of the classes listed are
offered by the local Community College.

So, what Canyon offers is a hyped Associates' with a name that caters to the
big wah in psychology today: 'Counselling'. Aside from Pastoral Counselling,
I haven't seen the "C" word applied to an undergrad degree. Of course, I
ain't no expert. So, get yourself down to your local Library's reference
room and take a look at the "College Blue Book", (IIRC, that's the title), a
4 volume set of blue books that cover, among other things, what degrees are
offered by what colleges, (and the reverse). I'm sure you can take it from
there.

>Alright, I hate to refer you back to one of my books, [....]

He never likes to! <G>

snipped

>The first thing you will find is that a bachelor's degree in counseling
>is not generally useful if your fantasy - sorry, your goal - is to
>engage in private practice.

I have found that a Masters is usually the minimum requirement -- and often
some kind of certificate is encouraged -- for any 'real' career in
Counselling, Psychology and Social Work. But it's a tight field to get into
even then. (I hope you're good with quantitative methods!)
Again, this is excluding Religious applications.

With a B.S. in counseling, you are limited
>to playing psych aide or, perhaps, doing substance abuse counseling at a
>junior level.

So there are some B.S. offerings out there? (Rhetorical)

snipped

>> Maybe this is how Canyon suckers in wanna-be-piss-ants,I don`t know,but
>> I haven`t found one of the "Bear Approved",distance learning
>> establishments that offer this program.

Try the "Blue Book", dude!

snipped

>> What do you geniuses suggest? And for christ`s sake,lighten up.

Well, speaking for myself, I'd suggest a tad more empathy in your approach.
Learn to like yourself! <G>

snipped

And if you must call yourself Dumber than Dirt, kindly
>don't abbreviate it. There are enough bozos out there using the "D.D."
>title already.

In this NG??! Who?

Kevin

Kevin Stewart

Jun 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/22/00
[1st round was a no show, so here's another try.]

Steve Levicoff wrote in message <395132BA...@ix.netcom.com>...

>Rick Stanley wrote:
>
>> Hi Geniuses,

Hello.

> [...]

With a B.S. in counseling, you are limited

>to playing psych aide or, perhaps, doing substance abuse counseling at a
>junior level.

So there are some B.S. offerings out there? (Rhetorical)

snipped

>> Maybe this is how Canyon suckers in wanna-be-piss-ants,I don`t know,but

>> I haven`t found one of the "Bear Approved",distance learning
>> establishments that offer this program.

Try the "Blue Book", dude!

snipped

>> What do you geniuses suggest? And for christ`s sake,lighten up.

Well, speaking for myself, I'd suggest a tad more empathy in your approach.

Learn to like yourself! <G>

snipped

And if you must call yourself Dumber than Dirt, kindly

>don't abbreviate it. There are enough bozos out there using the "D.D."

In this NG??! Who?

Kevin