Internet Service in Anchorage?

Unknown

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00
Any ISPs in Anchorage that might have service in Georgia? I currently
with Mindspring/Earthlink but no POPs are listed up there.

Thanks again.............

......... Peter (pstrisik at yahoo dot com)

M. Gross

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00
Only one I know of is ATT Worldnet...

<Peter S.> wrote in message

RB

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
Worst case...AOL...yes, AT&T...but, I am also a Mindspring customer and I
use their 800 number just fine.

Unknown

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
On Tue, 30 May 2000 07:55:34 -0800, "RB" <r...@tkvisionsnospam.com>
wrote:

> Worst case...AOL...yes, AT&T...but, I am also a Mindspring customer and I
> use their 800 number just fine.

Is there a per minute charge for their 800 number access?

RB

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
yes, .10/minute.

<Peter S.> wrote in message

Floyd Davidson

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
Peter S. <> wrote:
>On Tue, 30 May 2000 07:55:34 -0800, "RB" <r...@tkvisionsnospam.com>
>wrote:
>
>> Worst case...AOL...yes, AT&T...but, I am also a Mindspring customer and I
>> use their 800 number just fine.
>
>Is there a per minute charge for their 800 number access?

I can guarantee that in Alaska there are no 800 numbers for
ISP's that do not involve a per minute charge.

What would happen is that everywhere a local access line is not
available, the free 800 service would be used. On the average
15 to 30 or more people in every village would want to use those
800 lines *every evening between 5 and 9 PM*, but there are only
6 to 12 trunks to each village! Every trunk to every village in
Alaska would be tied up every evening...

That would be roughly 2000 call attempts going to an outside 800
number. Two things would happen. Number one is that nobody
anywhere would be able to make a voice call to a village, or
between anywhere in Alaska and the lower 48. Number Two is the
ISP will be paying the toll bill.

If AT&T were the ISP, they would be shifting money from one
pocket to another and eliminating their ability to generate any
revenue from toll message traffic during those hours! (Jaws
would tighten, teeth would grind, and heads would role...)

If any other ISP did it, they would make AT&T Alascom one
of the most profitable long distance carriers in the country
(until all of the ISP's assets were transfered, and they
went bankrupt...).

Alas, we are not going to see 800 numbers without per minute
charges. Though I assure you, since my unpublished email
address is at att.com (not att.worldnet.com), I would *love*
to see some ISP other than AT&T provide 800 number service
with no per minute fees. It sure would pay for a lot of
beans around my house!

Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson fl...@barrow.com
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

Unknown

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
On Tue, 30 May 2000 17:06:33 -0800, "RB" <r...@tkvisionsnospam.com>
wrote:

> yes, .10/minute.

Ouch! I'd rather change ISP than pay $6.00/hour with my usage.

> <Peter S.> wrote in message

> > On Tue, 30 May 2000 07:55:34 -0800, "RB" <r...@tkvisionsnospam.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Worst case...AOL...yes, AT&T...but, I am also a Mindspring customer and
> > > use their 800 number just fine.
> >
> > Is there a per minute charge for their 800 number access?

Unknown

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
On 30 May 2000 18:45:30 -0800, Floyd Davidson <fl...@ptialaska.net>
wrote:

> I can guarantee that in Alaska there are no 800 numbers for
> ISP's that do not involve a per minute charge.
>

> Alas, we are not going to see 800 numbers without per minute
> charges. Though I assure you, since my unpublished email
> address is at att.com (not att.worldnet.com), I would *love*
> to see some ISP other than AT&T provide 800 number service
> with no per minute fees. It sure would pay for a lot of
> beans around my house!
>
> Floyd

I am assuming that I can sign up for att.net for a flat monthly fee
for unlimited use like I have now in the lower 48?

Floyd Davidson

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
Peter S. <> wrote:
>Floyd Davidson <fl...@ptialaska.net> wrote:
>
>> I can guarantee that in Alaska there are no 800 numbers for
>> ISP's that do not involve a per minute charge.
>>

>> Alas, we are not going to see 800 numbers without per minute
>> charges. Though I assure you, since my unpublished email
>> address is at att.com (not att.worldnet.com), I would *love*
>> to see some ISP other than AT&T provide 800 number service
>> with no per minute fees. It sure would pay for a lot of
>> beans around my house!
>>
>> Floyd
>
>I am assuming that I can sign up for att.net for a flat monthly fee
>for unlimited use like I have now in the lower 48?

Yes. You can sign up for it where you live now, and use it
there until you move and then immediately begin using it in
Anchorage when you arrive. Once you have an account you can
easily look up the access numbers for anywhere in the country.
It works rather well for anyone who travels a lot and is
addicted to Internet access.

Depending on how you view the service as compared to other
ISP's, both where you are now and in Anchorage, you might want
to sign up with AT&T just before moving and then once you are in
Anchorage you can investigate other methods of connecting and
make a decision later on whether to continue with AT&T or not.
It will provide continuity when you move, but for example you
might find other providers with cable modems or xDSL service are
more attractive for your needs. (I have no idea what is
available in Anchorage from even AT&T, so I'm not the one to
talk to about what might be the best solution in the long run.)

Kev

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
Does anyone know if AOL is still charging extra for Alaska access? My old
boss wants to go with AOL and I mentioned to him that there use to be an
hourly charge by AOL/CompuServe for access within Alaska.

I told him to go with AT&T if he wants someone who is country wide.

Kev

"RB" <r...@tkvisionsnospam.com> wrote in message
> yes, .10/minute.

> <Peter S.> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 30 May 2000 07:55:34 -0800, "RB" <r...@tkvisionsnospam.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Worst case...AOL...yes, AT&T...but, I am also a Mindspring customer
and
> > > use their 800 number just fine.
> >
> > Is there a per minute charge for their 800 number access?

Barbara Bowen

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
what happened to alaska.net?? It had local numbers in valdez, anchorage,
and fairbanks and juneau when I used it...

RB

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
I am doing just fine with Alaska.net...

http://www.home.alaska.net

Barbara Bowen <barbar...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Unknown

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
Thanks everyone for input so far. I'm not one to go for AOL. ATT
will probably be fine, though I'll wait till I get up there and see
what options there are.

I did find that I can set up a free mailbox on Yahoo that will forward
to my regular mindspring mailbox. I can then change forwarding to
whatever my new mailbox is in AK. This will make the transition a bit
better.

a56dragon

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
If you're headed towards Anchorage, sign up with GCI. We got a package for
cable modem access (we have two computers on the line - no extra charge),
digital cable, local and long distance phone service through them. Total
month bill: about $75.00 (+ long distance charges when used).

[I've been using cable modems for three years now - I'd HATE to go back to
having to use my old 56K telephone modem!]

<Peter S.> wrote in message

> Any ISPs in Anchorage that might have service in Georgia? I currently
> with Mindspring/Earthlink but no POPs are listed up there.
>
> Thanks again.............

Unknown

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
On Thu, 1 Jun 2000 16:58:03 -0800, "a56dragon"
<HERBERT...@email.msn.com> wrote:

> If you're headed towards Anchorage, sign up with GCI. We got a package for
> cable modem access (we have two computers on the line - no extra charge),
> digital cable, local and long distance phone service through them. Total
> month bill: about $75.00 (+ long distance charges when used).

Do you have a link or email address for GCI?

Thanks.........

a56dragon

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
Their web site is www.gci.net .

<Peter S.> wrote in message

wooden...@webtv.net

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00

BetsyB, avid lurker

"I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on Tripod somewhere."

Ouisch Odin

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
> Any ISPs in Anchorage that might have service in Georgia? I currently
> with Mindspring/Earthlink but no POPs are listed up there.

I don't know about any services that work in Georgia as well as Alaska,
but if I were you, I'd just wait til you moved up here, then sign up for
a local ISP.

As far as local dial-ups go, MTA is one of the best. They have
notoriously good tech support, and you never get a busy signal.

Don't use ptialaska whatever you do. You'll never get online.

-Ouisch

Robert Bolton

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00

Prodigy is available in Anchorage.

"Ouisch Odin" <oui...@odinweb.com> wrote in message

Unknown

Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
On Sun, 04 Jun 2000 21:26:38 -0800, Ouisch Odin <oui...@odinweb.com>
wrote:

> I don't know about any services that work in Georgia as well as Alaska,
> but if I were you, I'd just wait til you moved up here, then sign up for
> a local ISP.
>
> As far as local dial-ups go, MTA is one of the best. They have
> notoriously good tech support, and you never get a busy signal.
>
> Don't use ptialaska whatever you do. You'll never get online.
>
> -Ouisch

My fiance will have an account through the Univ of Alaska. If I am
eligible to get on that, it will take care of my choice (cheap!). If
not, I'll likely go with ATT since I'll be able to log on locally
through most of the country. I'm not interested in AOL or Prodigy.

Some of the local AK ISPs look interesting, but I want to preserve my
connection if I travel.

Robert Bolton

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00

As an illustration of Floyd's point, I'm near Kansas City MO right now as
one of a group of wingnuts talking about Ft Greely. Bfore I left Anchorage,
I logged on to the net, looked up prodigy's access number for the area, and
now I'm on via my own personal account. (And I got family in the house back
home, so don't nobody get any fancy ideas).

Robert

Floyd Davidson <fl...@ptialaska.net> wrote in message

> >I am assuming that I can sign up for att.net for a flat monthly fee
> >for unlimited use like I have now in the lower 48?
>
> Yes. You can sign up for it where you live now, and use it
> there until you move and then immediately begin using it in
> Anchorage when you arrive. Once you have an account you can
> easily look up the access numbers for anywhere in the country.
> It works rather well for anyone who travels a lot and is
> addicted to Internet access.

Floyd Davidson

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
"Finnian" <fin...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>Mr. Bolton,
>From the sounds of your post you dont trust your neighbors. Is thievery a
>real problem up there in AK?
>Doc Fox

Anchorage is populated with people from Outside that have never
lived anywhere in Alaska. Hence it is no different in most
respects than any other city of the same size, except of course
Anchorage has one really huge advantage over any other city in
the US. It is, afterall, just one airplane ride from Alaska!

Finnian

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00

Ouisch Odin

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
> Anchorage is populated with people from Outside that have never
> lived anywhere in Alaska. Hence it is no different in most
> respects than any other city of the same size, except of course
> Anchorage has one really huge advantage over any other city in
> the US. It is, afterall, just one airplane ride from Alaska!

Oh, for pity's sakes, Floyd. Anchorage is in Alaska. Hence, if you live
in Anchorage, you live in Alaska. It may be different than living in a
one-room cabin with no running water and an outhouse for a bathroom, but
not all of us want to live like that. If I want to, I'll go camping, all
right?

There is no "Outside". We're all Americans. And everyone living in
Alaska is an Alaskan. You're such an elitist that it's coming across as
racism!

By the way, I can see "Alaska" in Anchorage any time I want to. From my
bedroom window, even. There are the mountains, moose, bald eagles,
Belugas in the bay at times, foxes, and the various flora that populate
the region. (Fireweed and birch trees for instance.) The presence of
actual buildings and electricty does not make it any less Alaskan.

-Ouisch

Floyd Davidson

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
Ouisch Odin <oui...@odinweb.com> wrote:

>> Anchorage is populated with people from Outside that have never
>> lived anywhere in Alaska. Hence it is no different in most
>> respects than any other city of the same size, except of course
>> Anchorage has one really huge advantage over any other city in
>> the US. It is, afterall, just one airplane ride from Alaska!
>
>Oh, for pity's sakes, Floyd. Anchorage is in Alaska. Hence, if you live
>in Anchorage, you live in Alaska. It may be different than living in a
>one-room cabin with no running water and an outhouse for a bathroom, but
>not all of us want to live like that. If I want to, I'll go camping, all
>right?
>
>There is no "Outside". We're all Americans. And everyone living in
>Alaska is an Alaskan. You're such an elitist that it's coming across as
>racism!
>
>By the way, I can see "Alaska" in Anchorage any time I want to. From my
>bedroom window, even. There are the mountains, moose, bald eagles,
>Belugas in the bay at times, foxes, and the various flora that populate
>the region. (Fireweed and birch trees for instance.) The presence of
>actual buildings and electricty does not make it any less Alaskan.
>
>-Ouisch

As soon as you have actually been somewhere that is part of Alaska, then
your definitions and descriptions of the differences and the similarities
will be of great interest. As it is, you are confirming exactly what I
said...

Floyd

Dennis P. Harris

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
On Fri, 09 Jun 2000 14:53:42 -0800 in alt.culture.alaska, Ouisch
Odin <oui...@odinweb.com> wrote:

> Oh, for pity's sakes, Floyd. Anchorage is in Alaska. Hence, if you live
> in Anchorage, you live in Alaska.

No. You live about an hour away.

In spite of the fact that several hundred thousand folks who live
there think so, Anchorage is NOT Alaska. As Floyd said, once you
have spent a couple of months somewhere that's NOT Anchorage, you
will *begin* to understand.

That, you see, is part of our political mess --- people in Los
Anchorage have the mistaken notion that they live in Alaska.
People who have lived there all their lives, back when Anchorage
*was* part of Alaska, know better. Folks who live outside of
Anchorage *definitely* know better.

Anchorage is Alaska about as much as Miami is Florida, or New
York City is New York state.

"The only things in the middle of the road are yellow stripes
and dead armadillos" --- Jim Hightower
Dennis P. Harris NO_SPAM_T...@gci.net
http://www.ejuneau.net

Craig Wm. Black

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
> From: Ouisch Odin <oui...@odinweb.com>

> Oh, for pity's sakes, Floyd. Anchorage is in Alaska.

Here here.

There's a bizarre arrogance among certain Alaskans who get to enjoy the
thrill of no indoor plumbing, indulged in by some that actually DO enjoy
indoor plumbing.

Anchorage is Alaska. It's one kind of Alaska.

I live in another kind of Alaska, Juneau, and it's nothing like Dillingham
or Willow or Kaktovik, other places in Alaska.

To suggest that Anchorage is not Alaska is simply silly.

I like a lot of what Floyd says. But he's got a bizarre notion of Anchorage
going on.

Craig Wm. Black

Jun 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/10/00
> From: NO_SPAM_T...@gci.net (Dennis P. Harris)

> In spite of the fact that several hundred thousand folks who live
> there think so, Anchorage is NOT Alaska. As Floyd said, once you
> have spent a couple of months somewhere that's NOT Anchorage, you
> will *begin* to understand.

What rubbish. I am living proof that this argument is false.

I have spent significant periods in Anchorage, Valdez, Prudhoe, Douglas, and
Juneau. And I know full well that not only is Anchorage part of Alaska,
it's the single most significant part of Alaska.

Anchorage has McDonalds. So does Alaska. Anchorage has hip hop CDs. So
does Alaska. Anchorage has ISPs. So does Alaska.

If you've been to Kwethluk in the last decade, you've seen how so many of
the kids wear official NBA jackets.

If you've been to Angoon of late, you've seen how the folks there make sure
to catch a rerun of Friends before hitting the Serta.

If you've been to Twin Hills since the Bush Administration, you've noticed
how much fun the young-ins have playing Doom on their N64 game systems while
mom nukes potstickers in the microwave.

If Anchorage wasn't part of Alaska, we wouldn't see the likes of Tony
Knowles, Drue Pearce, and Brian Porter running the show down in Alaska, let
alone the Three Bears we send to Washington DC every chance we get. We'd
have Governor Reggie Joule and Congresswoman Georgianna Lincoln. But we
don't.

One should reassess the state of her state more frequently than once every
fifty years.

Craig

bookburn

Jun 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/10/00

"Craig Wm. Black" <chil...@gci.net> wrote in message

> > From: NO_SPAM_T...@gci.net (Dennis P. Harris)
>
> > In spite of the fact that several hundred thousand
folks who live
> > there think so, Anchorage is NOT Alaska. As Floyd
said, once you
> > have spent a couple of months somewhere that's NOT
Anchorage, you
> > will *begin* to understand.
>
> What rubbish. I am living proof that this argument is
false.

> I have spent significant periods in Anchorage, Valdez,
Prudhoe, Douglas, and
> Juneau. And I know full well that not only is
Anchorage part of Alaska,
> it's the single most significant part of Alaska.
(snip)

For some of us who remember what Alaska was like before
statehood and after, Anchorage is a monument to
civilization dependent on government; an airport,
railroad, and military-supported economic dynamo now
independent of people and the land. Half of Alaska
lives in this one place, running the huge state from its
small political base.

I associate the idea of Alaska with what connects with
the land, native people, the weather, and an attitude of
accepting it all as your environment. It's being
flexible, resourceful, and respectfully aware of your
surroundings. I think real Alaskans are those imprinted
by experience like that.

Trouble is, citified people dwelling in an artificial
concrete jungle isolate themselves and adjust to that
environment as reality. Some people in Anchorage exist
within a small area of the city and are basically
shut-ins. Others just use the city as a base for a
career during their working years, then haul out to the
lower '48. Some native Alaskans opt out in their
retirement as if they don't know their bones are
supposed to be buried here. People living in Anchorage
may not be real Alaskans in that sense.

bookburn

Ouisch Odin

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
> As soon as you have actually been somewhere that is part of Alaska, then
> your definitions and descriptions of the differences and the similarities
> will be of great interest. As it is, you are confirming exactly what I
> said...

I've been camping in Denali, Kenai, Soldotna (almost the same thing I
spose), and God knows where else...I can't even remember how many
places. I came up the Alcan when I moved here, and we camped at quite a
few places on the way. And once we got here, my parents felt a need to
go for incredibly long drives every Saturday. We'd also go camping
several times every summer. And, I might add, we never had power,
running water, or in fact anything but a tent when we did it.

I've been on the Kenai Fjords tour, which I know is not the same as
building a raft with my own two little hands and setting out on it, like
Real Alaskans (TM) are supposed to do, but I DID get to see quite a lot
of the flora and fauna while I was out. Oh, and the glaciers, mountains,
ocean, etc.

I must admit that I have yet to live in the one-room cabin with no
running water or power, though I've visited them and stayed for a week
while going on camping trips with my church youth group. But you know
what? That STILL doesn't mean Anchorage isn't part of Alaska!!! As I
said, not all Alaskans want to live like that. And you sure as hell
aren't, you know. You're online, aren't you?

-Ouisch

Ouisch Odin

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
> This
> newsgroup should be like Alaska itself, a daily adventure.

It's a newsgroup. It's not going to be a daily adventure. EVER. (Trust
me.)

HTH

-Ouisch

Ouisch Odin

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
> > Anchorage is Alaska about as much as Miami is
> Florida, or New
> > York City is New York state.
>
> That's a pretty good analogy. While flying into Kansas
> City, one thing I noticed from the air is that there is
> no frontier. It's all developed (farms) as far as the
> eye can see from 20 or 30,000 ft up. That is very
> similar to Anchorage. The only undeveloped areas you
> can see out your window in Anchorage are either
> military reservation (no trespassing) or the state
> parking (parking fee).

I wouldn't say that...I mean, there are a lot of areas in Anchorage that
aren't made entirely of housing or office buildings. I mean, there's a
park every other mile. I live within half a mile of Russian Jack Park,
which in turn is within half a mile of Baxter Bog, which is within half
a mile of Stuckagain Heights (one of the most underdeveloped housing
areas besides Hillside). I mean, maybe some people would rather have a
neighborhood where the nearest house is two miles away, and walking
outside your front door takes you directly into the Alaskan Wilderness,
but not everyone wants that. And it doesn't make you any less of an
Alaskan. It makes you less of an outdoorsman, sure, but you can't define
all Alaskans by those standards. And really, I'm happy knowing that I
can drive for an hour and be in the middle of nowhere...if I want to.

> Anchorage gets too hectic for me at times, but me wife
> says it's just right. Other like Las Vegas, or
> whereever. The right place to live is whereever you
> please. Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Juneau are different
> then the rest of the state though, with Anchorage being
> the BIG CITY.

I'm considering moving to some place like Kenai myself. I mean, I want
to live in a city that has reasonable facilities, like a supermarket and
a hospital and all that, but without the ghettos and slums, you know?
But I think I'd miss a lot of the things that come with living in
Anchorage, like the overabundance of theaters, the Walmarts and
Carrs/Safeways scattered everywhere, the dozens of radio and TV stations
to choose from...you know, all the excess junk that Real Alaskans (TM)
hate so much.

Oh, well. At least it isn't New York or Chicago.

-Ouisch

Ouisch Odin

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
> > Mr. Bolton,
> > From the sounds of your post you dont trust your
> neighbors. Is thievery a
> > real problem up there in AK?
>
> Hi Finnian,
> I suppose I could make a joke and say it was some other
> community I was worried about, but I won't. Anchorage
> isnt a bad place, but a lot of people live here, so
> there is a higher density of profesional criminals and
> clueless young men than other communities in Alaska.
> The urban life just gives kids more opportunity to get
> into trouble.
>
> In 22 years of living in Anchorage, I've had my car
> stolen (1969 Mach I), my motorcycle stolen (this was 20
> years ago and doesn't count because I left the keys in
> it outside because it didn't run), a jar of kimchi
> stolen off my porch, and my van broken into twice. All
> but the motorcycle was while I lived in an apartment
> building. I moved to a single family neighborhood in
> 1983 and have only lost my motorbike around 1984.
> Something bad since then.
>
> In 15 years of living in Fairbanks, my brother's bike
> was stolen, my brothers truck was stolen (it was
> sitting unattended out on my sister's land on Chena Hot
> Springs for a year or two), my sister's car was stolen
> (she left it running outside a bar. We were still used
> to the old days). All but the bike were post pipeline
> years. The bike was a fluke. A kid from tthe urban
> part of town happened to come out to the sticks and
> took the bike.
>
> I think it unwise to advertise on the net that your
> house might be empty no matter where you live (most of
> alaska excepted). That's why I made it clear that my
> house has people living in it. If it was empty, I
> wouldn't have mentioned I was out of town.

I've never bothered to lock my front door or my car doors...and I live
within a mile of Mountain View. I have a friend who just came up from
Houston, and he thinks I'm crazy. He can't understand why my car hasn't
been stolen yet, or why nobody has broken into my house. I'm guessing
it's because my car is a piece of crap. But it might just be because
Anchorage really doesn't have that much crime. Things get taken, but as
Finnian up there says, it doesn't happen that often. And when it does
happen, it's usually a fluke or because of a mistake on the part of the
owner. (IE If my car were stolen, it'd be my fault for leaving it
unlocked.)

I DID have my bike stolen once...but I was stupid and left it unchained
in the hallway of my high school. Real smart, huh? Oh, well.

Anyway, we get murder, rape, child molestation and so on just like any
big city. (If you can call Anchorage "big" in anything more than area.)
But I get the impression that it doesn't happen that often, because the
cops around here get bored pretty fast. They also have a lot of funding.
So much so that Anchorage police are responsible for developing the
fingerprint discovery system that the rest of the nation uses. And
they're so bored that you get three cop cars for one abandoned civilian
car.

-Ouisch

Dennis P. Harris

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 17:40:45 -0800 in alt.culture.alaska, Ouisch
Odin <oui...@odinweb.com> wrote:

> > As soon as you have actually been somewhere that is part of Alaska, then
> > your definitions and descriptions of the differences and the similarities
> > will be of great interest. As it is, you are confirming exactly what I
> > said...
>
> I've been camping in Denali, Kenai, Soldotna (almost the same thing I
> spose), and God knows where else...I can't even remember how many
> places. I came up the Alcan when I moved here, and we camped at quite a
> few places on the way. And once we got here, my parents felt a need to
> go for incredibly long drives every Saturday. We'd also go camping
> several times every summer. And, I might add, we never had power,
> running water, or in fact anything but a tent when we did it.

but you were *on the road system*, which is about 5% of alaska's
land mass, and a very small percentage of the number of
communities.

you can't drive to alaska, not really. getting there requires
some other method of locomotion.

Dennis Harris NO_SPAM_T...@gci.net
Every morning is the dawn of a new error...
http://www.ejuneau.net

Ouisch Odin

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
> > I've been camping in Denali, Kenai, Soldotna (almost the same thing I
> > spose), and God knows where else...I can't even remember how many
> > places. I came up the Alcan when I moved here, and we camped at quite a
> > few places on the way. And once we got here, my parents felt a need to
> > go for incredibly long drives every Saturday. We'd also go camping
> > several times every summer. And, I might add, we never had power,
> > running water, or in fact anything but a tent when we did it.
>
> but you were *on the road system*, which is about 5% of alaska's
> land mass, and a very small percentage of the number of
> communities.
>
> you can't drive to alaska, not really. getting there requires
> some other method of locomotion.

Well, exactly how far away from civilization do I have to be before I'm
allowed to say I've visted Alaska?

-Ouisch

Floyd Davidson

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00

Why? You don't have a clue sweetie.

Robert Bolton

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00

> > > Anchorage is Alaska about as much as Miami is
> > Florida, or New
> > > York City is New York state.
> >

> > That's a pretty good analogy. ....

> I'm considering moving to some place like Kenai
myself. I mean, I want
> to live in a city that has reasonable facilities,
like a supermarket and
> a hospital and all that, but without the ghettos and
slums, you know?
> But I think I'd miss a lot of the things that come
with living in
> Anchorage, like the overabundance of theaters, the
Walmarts and
> Carrs/Safeways scattered everywhere, the dozens of
radio and TV stations
> to choose from...you know, all the excess junk that
Real Alaskans (TM)
> hate so much.
>
> Oh, well. At least it isn't New York or Chicago.

I worked all weekend, and half of today, but finally
got a chance to drive around the Kansas City area. It
really helps to visit a place like this to put
Anchorage in perspective. Anchorage is small town
compared to here. LOTS of traffic. Really green, but
lots of people. One thing that is just like Anchorage
though is that they are working one several major roads
simultaneously so you can't help but get into a traffic
jam.

The real Alaskan (or old time Alaskan) hating Anchorage
isn't a myth though. It's real. I think a lot of
people who really like to live in Alaska have the
personality or upbringing that shuns too much
commotion. Commotion is what Anchorage is. Hustle and
how ever you spell it (bussle). I know I have been
changed by living in Anchorage for so long, but I still
dream of returning home to Fairbanks someday. I had a
wonderful time up there this Christmas. Peace and
Quiet. Very healthy.

There's worse things than being in Anchorage, but
Anchorites need to get a reality check every now and
then to stay human. Otherwise they turn into hampsters
running in their wheel.
Robert

Dennis P. Harris

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 18:25:44 -0800 in alt.culture.alaska, Ouisch
Odin <oui...@odinweb.com> wrote:

> Well, exactly how far away from civilization do I have to be before I'm
> allowed to say I've visted Alaska?

at least an hour from the road system. and then stay there for a
year.

Gravity. It's The Law.

Floyd Davidson

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
Ouisch Odin <oui...@odinweb.com> wrote:
>> > I've been camping in Denali, Kenai, Soldotna (almost the same thing I
>> > spose), and God knows where else...I can't even remember how many
>> > places. I came up the Alcan when I moved here, and we camped at quite a
>> > few places on the way. And once we got here, my parents felt a need to
>> > go for incredibly long drives every Saturday. We'd also go camping
>> > several times every summer. And, I might add, we never had power,
>> > running water, or in fact anything but a tent when we did it.
>>
>> but you were *on the road system*, which is about 5% of alaska's
>> land mass, and a very small percentage of the number of
>> communities.
>>
>> you can't drive to alaska, not really. getting there requires
>> some other method of locomotion.
>
>Well, exactly how far away from civilization do I have to be before I'm
>allowed to say I've visted Alaska?

Now yer talking! The trick is to go so far that you *find*
civilization! When you realize that you are not in the Rat
Race, that's it! You are there.

Actually, that sounds like a wisecrack, but it is the honest
truth. One of the things that people find when they move to the
bush, is that they can actually _relax_. But the average person
takes about two years to realize it too, so don't get exicited
the first week trying to find relaxation either. Some people
(usually ones who come from rural areas) adapt faster, and some
(inner city types) are never able to adapt.

Floyd

Floyd Davidson

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
"Robert Bolton" <Robert...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>The real Alaskan (or old time Alaskan) hating Anchorage
>isn't a myth though. It's real. I think a lot of
>people who really like to live in Alaska have the
>personality or upbringing that shuns too much
>commotion. Commotion is what Anchorage is. Hustle and
>how ever you spell it (bussle). I know I have been
>changed by living in Anchorage for so long, but I still
>dream of returning home to Fairbanks someday. I had a
>wonderful time up there this Christmas. Peace and
>Quiet. Very healthy.

Wow, you sure got that pegged right. And *do* look at the
effect Anchorage has had on you! There you are, saying
Fairbanks, of all the noisy centers of commotion, is "Peace and
Quiet". My garsh, you need to visit Rampart, or come spend the
summer here in Barrow. Do something now, to prolong your life.

>There's worse things than being in Anchorage, but
>Anchorites need to get a reality check every now and
>then to stay human. Otherwise they turn into hampsters
>running in their wheel.

I'm sure glad you say those things, cause it really wouldn't be
right for me to. However... a friend of mine who has no
interest in Usenet just happened to want my email address the
other day, and knew he could find me with dejanews, so what he
found was this thread. His comments sent in email are rather
interesting.

"I'll side with him on the trivial point that everyone
living in Alaska is an Alaskan, but

1) how does that qualify someone in Anchorage?, and

2) even if it did, how many Anchorage-Alaskans know what
Alaska is about?, and

3) if they do know, what are they still doing in Anchorage?"

From a fellow who lived in Anchorage for 24 years out of about
twice that many total in Alaska.

Ouisch Odin

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
> >> This
> >> newsgroup should be like Alaska itself, a daily adventure.
> >
> >It's a newsgroup. It's not going to be a daily adventure. EVER. (Trust
> >me.)
>
> Why? You don't have a clue sweetie.

The biggest adventure I've ever seen on a newsgroup is a troll...

I've been hanging out online for five years or so, which is a
substantial portion of the time that the Internet has been popular...
and I've never seen that much excitement.

-Ouisch

Eric Holeman

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
In article <3946E6CE...@odinweb.com>,
Ouisch Odin <REMOVEM...@odinweb.com> wrote:

>a mile of Stuckagain Heights (one of the most underdeveloped housing
>areas besides Hillside).

I think your choice of language is something of a giveaway. Hillside is
anything but underdeveloped as of late. Besides, the concept that a place
could be "underdeveloped" is significantly less common outside of big
cities like Anchorage, Fairbanks, Wasilla and Soldotna. ;-)

>Oh, well. At least it isn't New York or Chicago.

You have a point. If it's Wal-Mart you dig, you're much better off in
Anchorage.
--
-------
Eric Holeman Chicago, Illinois USA

Floyd Davidson

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
eh...@enteract.com (Eric Holeman) wrote:
>In article <3946E6CE...@odinweb.com>,
> Ouisch Odin <REMOVEM...@odinweb.com> wrote:
>
>>a mile of Stuckagain Heights (one of the most underdeveloped housing
>>areas besides Hillside).
>
>I think your choice of language is something of a giveaway. Hillside is
>anything but underdeveloped as of late. Besides, the concept that a place
>could be "underdeveloped" is significantly less common outside of big
>cities like Anchorage, Fairbanks, Wasilla and Soldotna. ;-)

Undestroyed is a reasonable alternative.

>>Oh, well. At least it isn't New York or Chicago.
>
>You have a point. If it's Wal-Mart you dig, you're much better off in
>Anchorage.

Or, ahem, Chicago? (Sorry Eric, you just walked into that one.)

Eric Holeman

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
In article <87snugp...@barrow.com>,
Floyd Davidson <fl...@ptialaska.net> wrote:

>>You have a point. If it's Wal-Mart you dig, you're much better off in
>>Anchorage.

>Or, ahem, Chicago? (Sorry Eric, you just walked into that one.)

Nope. My neighborhood is a ten-mile hike from the nearest Wal-Mart.
You'd be well on your way to Girdwood before you've achieved such a safe
distance in Anchorage.

Despite the efforts to mall the city and make it more like the 'burbs
(which look an awful lot like South Anchorage, though generally with
better landscaping) most city neighborhoods hereabouts are relatively
devoid of big-box retail and built on a pleasantly small scale.

Not that I don't love Anchorage, mind you, but to both its inhabitants and
the people who avoid it at all costs, it's a compromise between urban (or,
more accurately, suburban) life and the mythic Real Alaska. At its best,
it can be some of the best of both, but in practice, it ends up being less
and less of either, and more and more of everything everybody hates about
the lower 48.

Robert Bolton

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00

> "Robert Bolton" <Robert...@prodigy.net> wrote:

>> I had a
> >wonderful time up there this Christmas. Peace and
> >Quiet. Very healthy.
>
> Wow, you sure got that pegged right. And *do* look
at the
> effect Anchorage has had on you! There you are,
saying
> Fairbanks, of all the noisy centers of commotion, is
"Peace and
> Quiet".

Well, I was staying at my sister's place off of Chena
Hot Springs Rd, and so there were no bikes with
straight pipes, no cars with booming stereos (no cars
or bikes, in fact), no planes or helicopters overhead,
no traffic roar in the background, and no wind blowing.
AND the neighbors were a couple acres away. Nothing
but some trees, a squirrel, and a moose taking a nap in
the yard. The nice thing about Fbks is that you can
get to places like that without having to drive for an
hour along with 50,000 other commuters. Her place is
only 10 miles out of town.

> >There's worse things than being in Anchorage, but
> >Anchorites need to get a reality check every now and
> >then to stay human. Otherwise they turn into
hampsters
> >running in their wheel.
>
> I'm sure glad you say those things, cause it really
wouldn't be
> right for me to.

I think the hurry that many city people seem to be in
(myself included) comes from over-crowding. It can't
be healthy.
I have an ex-brother inlaw who couldn't adapt to
Fairbanks getting so urban and moved on out to Kotzebue
about 8 or 10 years ago. He says he is much happier
out there because he can live the same lifestyle
without getting into trouble for it. Knowing his
lifestyle, I can believe it. But he is saying that
life is less stressful out there, where the rat race
hasn't quite arrived.

To each his own. I've met people who think Anchorage
is too small to be of interest. If my dad hadn't
gotten me out of Los Angeles when I was a boy, I'd
probably feel the same way. Maybe we're all just
yearning for our childhood..

Robert

Floyd Davidson

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
"Robert Bolton" <Robert...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>Floyd Davidson <fl...@ptialaska.net> wrote:

>> "Robert Bolton" <Robert...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>> >I had a wonderful time up there this Christmas. Peace and
>> >Quiet. Very healthy.
>>
>> Wow, you sure got that pegged right. And *do* look at the
>> effect Anchorage has had on you! There you are, saying
>> Fairbanks, of all the noisy centers of commotion, is "Peace
>> and Quiet".
>
>Well, I was staying at my sister's place off of Chena Hot
>Springs Rd, and so there were no bikes with straight pipes, no
>cars with booming stereos (no cars or bikes, in fact), no
>planes or helicopters overhead, no traffic roar in the
>background, and no wind blowing. AND the neighbors were a
>couple acres away. Nothing but some trees, a squirrel, and a
>moose taking a nap in the yard. The nice thing about Fbks is
>that you can get to places like that without having to drive
>for an hour along with 50,000 other commuters. Her place is
>only 10 miles out of town.

Did you hit the road for town on any given morning at about
10-20 minutes to 8 AM??? Heh, them crazies out there drive at
least as bad as the red light running bozos in Anchor Town. I
used to go out to Pedro Dome and also to the Gilmore Creek
tracking station sometimes, and from Salcha I made the mistake
more than once of not watching the clock and going out Nordale
Road to Chena Hot Springs just for variety, but hit it just
before 8 AM. Bad bad mistake.

One time I remember for some reason I was out there in the AM
heading for Fairbanks too (I can't imagine how that happened,
but what it was significant enough that I remember it). All
down Chena H.S. Road there are people who will pass the car in
front if there is even the slightest opportunity. I mean it can
be worse than 1 to 1 that they'll get killed, and they do it
anyway. Passing with oncoming traffic, passing on hills where
they can't see whats coming over the hill towards them... you
name it, the do it. All of this in almost bumber to bumper
traffic where if you do it 4 or 5 times the grand result is
being 4 or 5 cars farther up in the pack than not. And 10-15
minutes later we are *all* at the Airport Road, Steese,
Richardson junction. The ones who risked their lives got there
15 to 30 seconds (maybe even a minute) before those who did not.
That is what they risk lives for, 15 measly seconds!

Those folks need a cure. Maybe a month on some of that evil
weed that Ouisch Odin is touting. (Or maybe only a muscle
relaxant like valium will do.) The trouble is I think most
of them medicate themselves with alcohol instead.

>> >There's worse things than being in Anchorage, but Anchorites
>> >need to get a reality check every now and then to stay
>> >human. Otherwise they turn into hampsters running in their
>> >wheel.
>>
>> I'm sure glad you say those things, cause it really wouldn't be
>> right for me to.
>
>I think the hurry that many city people seem to be in (myself
>included) comes from over-crowding. It can't be healthy.
>
>I have an ex-brother inlaw who couldn't adapt to Fairbanks
>getting so urban and moved on out to Kotzebue about 8 or 10
>years ago. He says he is much happier out there because he can
>live the same lifestyle without getting into trouble for it.
>Knowing his lifestyle, I can believe it. But he is saying that
>life is less stressful out there, where the rat race hasn't
>quite arrived.

It has a lot to do with what a person is used to, thats for
sure. When I lived in Bethel in the late 60's it was pretty
calm, I thought. But after I moved up the river to Aniak, I
discovered I had a hard time dealing with the poor uptight
people in Bethel! Man, they couldn't even carry on a conversation
without running off to do something every time yah takes a breath!
Where I came from people chatted for half an hour or more before
anybody would even think of bringing up the business at hand.
In Bethel ya had to get it out in the first 15 seconds or they
would be doing something else.

>To each his own. I've met people who think Anchorage is too
>small to be of interest. If my dad hadn't gotten me out of Los
>Angeles when I was a boy, I'd probably feel the same way.
>Maybe we're all just yearning for our childhood..

I've always figured that people who spend their childhood
up to about 13-14 years old in either an urban or a rural
setting, are molded. They usually are never really comfortable
in the opposite setting. I've seen (and am an example myself)
several people who have changed from one to the other right around
the ages of 8 to 15, and basically by 14 it is a done deal, and
everything before 10 or 12 can be reprogrammed. Kids who go
back and forth at 12 and 13 can often be comfortable with both
though.

Because I live here in Barrow and travel to the villages, but
have previously been on the opposite side of that comparison, I'm
very much aware that most of the village people have little use
for any place as large as Barrow and simply do not comprehend
how I can tolerate living here! Of course, I'd rather live in
Point Lay (est. pop. 175 or so) myself, but I don't have the
talent it requires to avoid starvation there. And I can't really
understand how you can live in the "big" city, and you probably
look at Eric in Chicago with the same wonderment!