Beef Cho Cho request & shrimp toast recipe

Ari&Dave

May 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/15/00
Hello all,
Does anyone have a good recipe for beef cho cho? Since we moved 6 months
ago, it's now quite a drive to our favorite chinese restaurant so we don't
get there often, and I miss those yummy appetizers! The local chinese places
here don't serve them. :( They all have a barbequed beef appetizer instead
Thanks,
Ari

And now to contribute:
This is a Recipe from “The Family Circle Encyclopedia of Cooking.”
(slightly modified.)

Shrimp Toast

Ingredients:
1 package (8 ounces) frozen, shelled and deveined shrimp, thawed
4 canned water chestnuts, minced
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 Tablespoon dry sherry
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
1/4 cup onion, very finely chopped
6 slices of bread, at least 2 days old
2 cups vegetable oil

1. Chop shrimp until paste-like. Mix with water chestnuts, egg, salt, sugar,
sherry, cornstarch, garlic and onion.
2. Trim crusts from bread and cut each slice into 4 triangles. Spread a
teaspoon of the shrimp mixture over each triangle.
3. In a saucepan, heat oil to 375 degrees. Gently lower 4 - 6 pieces at a
time
into the oil, shrimp side down.. (Filling will not fall off.) After about a
minute,
when the edges begin to turn brown, turn pieces over and fry a few more
seconds. Remove; drain on paper toweling. Keep warm in very low oven until
ready to serve.

Note: Shrimp toast can also be fried, then frozen. When ready to use, reheat
in a 400 degree oven for 10 - 12 minutes.

Metafile2

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
>Hello all,
>Does anyone have a good recipe for beef cho cho? Since we moved 6 months
>ago, it's now quite a drive to our favorite chinese restaurant so we don't
>get there often, and I miss those yummy appetizers! The local chinese places
>here don't serve them. :( They all have a barbequed beef appetizer instead
>Thanks,
>Ari

Tell me about the beef cho cho. What does it taste like? Is it cut in thin
strips? Do you know what regional derivation of Chinese food it is? What
region of the US did you find it in?

I cook all types of Chinese and this is not familiar to me so perhaps I know it
as a different name.

Thanks,

Janey

Diane Feder

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
Ari,

I'm a little late jumping into this thread. I wonder if your beef cho cho
might be what some restaurants here call beef sate (pronounced saté.) A
peanut marinade is involved, but you wouldn't recognize it as such. I'm not
a big fan of peanuts or peanut butter, but I love beef sate. I think it may
sometimes also be served with a peanut sauce. The beef is not cut in cubes;
it's strips threaded on skewers and heated on a hibachi, just as you
described. I don't have a recipe, but at least it's a name you can try when
searching the food archives. I'm guessing it's not authentic Chinese, but
more likely a Polynesian or Indonesian influence. Or maybe something Trader
Vic just invented out of whole cloth and others added to their menus.

HTH
Diane

Ari&Dave <hal...@erols.com> wrote in message

Ari&Dave

May 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/26/00
Thanks Diane! I will try searching under that name. It does sound like it
might be a different name for the same dish. :) (Don't mind your later
response at all; just so glad for the contribution!!!) If there are any
recipes you are looking for, please let me know! I will help you if I
possibally can!!!
Thanks, Ari

Diane Feder wrote in message <8gksiv$meu$1...@slb3.atl.mindspring.net>...

>Ari,
>
>I'm a little late jumping into this thread. I wonder if your beef cho cho
>might be what some restaurants here call beef sate (pronounced saté.) A
>peanut marinade is involved, but you wouldn't recognize it as such. I'm
not
>a big fan of peanuts or peanut butter, but I love beef sate. I think it
may
>sometimes also be served with a peanut sauce. The beef is not cut in
cubes;
>it's strips threaded on skewers and heated on a hibachi, just as you
>described. I don't have a recipe, but at least it's a name you can try
when
>searching the food archives. I'm guessing it's not authentic Chinese, but
>more likely a Polynesian or Indonesian influence. Or maybe something
Trader
>Vic just invented out of whole cloth and others added to their menus.
>
>HTH
>Diane
>
>Ari&Dave <hal...@erols.com> wrote in message
>> Hello all,
>> Does anyone have a good recipe for beef cho cho?

snipped...