Re: Tevion MP4 Player

Message has been deleted

Bargains

Nov 16, 2007, 12:21:57 AM11/16/07
"Paul Blarmy" wrote:
> Anyone got any experience of the Tevion brand? Looking at the 2GB Tevion
> MP4 player on offer at Aldi this week for £29.99

No personal experience, this might help:
<http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Tevion+complaints&btnG=Google+Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB>

Message has been deleted

airsm...@hotmail.com

Nov 16, 2007, 3:41:25 AM11/16/07
On 16 Nov, 08:34, Paul Blarmy <foxes...@trashmail.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 05:21:57 -0000, Bargains wrote...

> > No personal experience, this might help:
> > <http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Tevion+complaints&btnG=Google+...>
>
> Ah good, no mention of the Tevion MP4 player - must be OK then :-)
>
> --
> EMail address is disposable and never checked.
> Registered Linux user #439066.

I think 'Tevion' is exclusive to Aldi, presumably made in China with
gazillions of other consumer electronics products with a variety of
names on. I've had several such items from Aldi with no hassles, this
one is 30 quid and comes with a 3 year warranty, so pretty low risk.
Having had a quick look on the Aldi web site it appears you have to
convert any video to some weird format before it can be played back,
whcih sounds a bit of a faff to me.
.

Theo Markettos

Nov 16, 2007, 9:53:44 AM11/16/07
airsm...@hotmail.com wrote:
> I think 'Tevion' is exclusive to Aldi, presumably made in China with
> gazillions of other consumer electronics products with a variety of
> names on. I've had several such items from Aldi with no hassles, this
> one is 30 quid and comes with a 3 year warranty, so pretty low risk.
> Having had a quick look on the Aldi web site it appears you have to
> convert any video to some weird format before it can be played back,
> whcih sounds a bit of a faff to me.

Some of Tevion's kit is supported by these people:
http://www.unisupport.net/lang/en/index.html
You can see there's a 2GB SlimLine mp3 / mp4 player listed there that might
be the one. There's a manual and firmware upgrade guide there. The forum
can also be useful, notably this thread:
http://unisupport.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65

Theo

we are the robots

Nov 16, 2007, 10:41:21 AM11/16/07
Paul Blarmy wrote:
<snip>
Ebuyer are selling a 1gig mp4 for £12.99.

--
_ _ _/
/_|/ //_//_/

Paul Ockenden

Nov 16, 2007, 11:41:09 AM11/16/07
> Anyone got any experience of the Tevion brand? Looking at the 2GB Tevion
> MP4 player on offer at Aldi this week for £29.99

I bought the previous one Aldi were selling (which includes a DAB radio).

Aside from the user-interface-from-hell, and the needs-to-be-next-to-a-
transmitter DAB sensitivity, the worst part was the horrible little virus
sitting in the root folder when I plugged it into a PC. And it was straight
out of the heat-sealed packaging - this wasn't a customer return.

It's pretty scandalous for them to be shipping virus infected stuff in this
day and age.

P.

John Whitworth

Nov 16, 2007, 3:27:10 PM11/16/07

"Paul Ockenden" <pa...@ockenden.nospamtodayplease.com> wrote in message

What virus was it? Are you sure it wasn't just one of these ones that
certain AV products reject, even though they are safe?

Paul Ockenden

Nov 16, 2007, 4:36:29 PM11/16/07
> What virus was it?

Win32.Warezov.om sitting in RECYCLER.exe in the root

> Are you sure it wasn't just one of these ones that certain AV products reject, even though they are safe?

Ho yus - quite sure. Oh, and Aldi's support people didn't
acknowledge by report of the problem - maybe they got a
bit worried when they saw "Contributing Editor - PC Pro"
in my email signature....

P.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

John Whitworth

Nov 16, 2007, 7:18:02 PM11/16/07

>> What virus was it?
>
> Win32.Warezov.om sitting in RECYCLER.exe in the root

Oh yuck.

Just flicked through the Nov 2007 PC Pro by the way...I'll steer clear of
Tevion MP3/4 players!! ;-)

Cheers

JW

Jim Ford

Nov 17, 2007, 7:27:59 AM11/17/07
You might like to consider a player that supports 'Rockbox':

http://www.rockbox.org/

I've installed it on my Sansa e200 and it's very impressive and is in a
constant state of development and improvement.

Jim Ford