USA: Did Thomas Jefferson really say this about Banks?

Warhol

Oct 18, 2008, 8:11:41 AM10/18/08
USA: Did Thomas Jefferson really say this about Banks?

'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our
liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow
private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by
inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will
grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until
their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers
conquered.' Thomas Jefferson 1802

"Paper is poverty,... it is only the ghost of money, and not money
itself."
--Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788. ME 7:36

"Experience has proved to us that a dollar of silver disappears for
every dollar
of paper emitted." --Thomas Jefferson to James Monroe, 1791. ME 8:208

"The trifling economy of paper, as a cheaper medium, or its
convenience for
transmission, weighs nothing in opposition to the advantages of the
precious metals...
it is liable to be abused, has been, is, and forever will be abused,
in every country
in which it is permitted." --Thomas Jefferson to John W. Eppes, 1813.
ME 13:430

"Scenes are now to take place as will open the eyes of credulity and
of insanity
itself, to the dangers of a paper medium abandoned to the discretion
of avarice
and of swindlers." --Thomas Jefferson to Thomas Cooper, 1814. ME
14:189

"It is a cruel thought, that, when we feel ourselves standing on the
firmest
ground in every respect, the cursed arts of our secret enemies,
combining with other
causes, should effect, by depreciating our money, what the open arms
of a powerful
enemy could not." --Thomas Jefferson to Richard Henry Lee, 1779. ME
4:298,
Papers 2:298

"We should try whether the prodigal might not be restrained from
taking on
credit the gewgaw held out to him in one hand, by seeing the keys of a
prison in
the other." --Thomas Jefferson to Thomas Pleasants, 1786. ME 5:325,
Papers
9:472

"That we are overdone with banking institutions which have banished
the precious
metals and substituted a more fluctuating and unsafe medium, that
these have withdrawn
capital from useful improvements and employments to nourish idleness,
that the wars
of the world have swollen our commerce beyond the wholesome limits of
exchanging
our own productions for our own wants, and that, for the emolument of
a small proportion
of our society who prefer these demoralizing pursuits to labors useful
to the whole,
the peace of the whole is endangered and all our present difficulties
produced,
are evils more easily to be deplored than remedied." --Thomas
Jefferson to
Abbe Salimankis, 1810. ME 12:379

"The banks... have the regulation of the safety-valves of our
fortunes, and...
condense and explode them at their will." --Thomas Jefferson to John
Adams,
1819. ME 15:224

"I sincerely believe... that banking establishments are more dangerous
than
standing armies, and that the principle of spending money to be paid
by posterity
under the name of funding is but swindling futurity on a large scale."
--Thomas
Jefferson to John Taylor, 1816. ME 15:23

"The incorporation of a bank and the powers assumed [by legislation
doing so]
have not, in my opinion, been delegated to the United States by the
Constitution.
They are not among the powers specially enumerated." --Thomas
Jefferson: Opinion
on Bank, 1791. ME 3:146

"It has always been denied by the republican party in this country,
that the
Constitution had given the power of incorporation to Congress. On the
establishment
of the Bank of the United States, this was the great ground on which
that establishment
was combated; and the party prevailing supported it only on the
argument of its
being an incident to the power given them for raising money." --Thomas
Jefferson
to Dr. Maese, 1809. ME 12:231

"[The] Bank of the United States... is one of the most deadly
hostility existing,
against the principles and form of our Constitution... An institution
like this,
penetrating by its branches every part of the Union, acting by command
and in phalanx,
may, in a critical moment, upset the government. I deem no government
safe which
is under the vassalage of any self-constituted authorities, or any
other authority
than that of the nation, or its regular functionaries. What an
obstruction could
not this bank of the United States, with all its branch banks, be in
time of war!
It might dictate to us the peace we should accept, or withdraw its
aids. Ought we
then to give further growth to an institution so powerful, so
hostile?" --Thomas
Jefferson to Albert Gallatin, 1803. ME 10:437

"If the debt which the banking companies owe be a blessing to anybody,
it is
to themselves alone, who are realizing a solid interest of eight or
ten per cent
on it. As to the public, these companies have banished all our gold
and silver medium,
which, before their institution, we had without interest, which never
could have
perished in our hands, and would have been our salvation now in the
hour of war;
instead of which they have given us two hundred million of froth and
bubble, on
which we are to pay them heavy interest, until it shall vanish into
air... We are
warranted, then, in affirming that this parody on the principle of 'a
public
debt being a public blessing,' and its mutation into the blessing of
private
instead of public debts, is as ridiculous as the original principle
itself. In both
cases, the truth is, that capital may be produced by industry, and
accumulated by
economy; but jugglers only will propose to create it by legerdemain
tricks with
paper." --Thomas Jefferson to John W. Eppes, 1813. ME 13:423

These international "banksters" finally succeeded in 1913 with the
passage
of the Federal Reserve Act. This bill, previously orchestrated by
Nelson Aldrich,
was soundly defeated under President Taft. In order to defeat Taft,
the banking
community backed Woodrow Wilson, and, to ensure his victory,
encouraged ex- President
Teddy Roosevelt to run again in order to siphon votes from the popular
Taft. Wilson
won by the nearly identical margin (42%) as Bill Clinton (43%), when
Ross Perot
took votes from George Bush. Wilson then slipped the Act through a
bare quorum of
Congress on December 23, 1913 after most of the opposition had gone
home for the
holidays.

SOURCE: link to www.afn.org

That is one Smart man ... Americans would do good if they followed his
example......