Help with strange file that won't delete

Just Me

Jun 16, 2009, 5:53:36 PM6/16/09
In the past week, something on my HD hads been generating several instances
of a file named cmsstorage.lst. It appears in 1/2 dozen folders and when
deleted it reappears a few minutes later. It appears to contain 0 bytes
and has the hidden attribute set.

Norton AV doesn't flag it, nor does Registry Mechanic find anything
strange.

There is a backup products company, CMS Storage, but I have none of their
products and they deny knowledge.

Does anyone know what this is and what's generating it/how to remove it?

All advice will be most appreciated.

VanguardLH

Jun 16, 2009, 6:20:07 PM6/16/09
Just Me wrote:

We are to GUESS at which of the many available operating systems happens
to be installed on your host?

Perhaps you're back on some old 9x-based version of Windows.
http://www.winxptalk.com/ftopic43637.html

.lst files are often text files. So what's inside it?

Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

Jun 16, 2009, 10:33:42 PM6/16/09
In news:Xns9C2CB67FBF383lo...@216.77.188.18,

Got any of these?

http://filext.com/file-extension/LST

--
Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

"BTW: Lionel was no "kookologist". If you knew what you were talking
about, you'd know that."

"Lionel laurer will be a real kookologist the day after the Sun
explodes."

Just Me

Jun 17, 2009, 8:24:14 PM6/17/09
VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> wrote in

>> All advice will be most appreciated.
>
> We are to GUESS at which of the many available operating systems
> happens to be installed on your host?
>
> Perhaps you're back on some old 9x-based version of Windows.
> http://www.winxptalk.com/ftopic43637.html
>
> .lst files are often text files. So what's inside it?

Thanks for yout response.
Well I have Windows XP Professional, continuously updated.
This has only appeared within the past week on s asystem that's been
operating seamlesssly for 5 years +.
I di install and then de-install a series of Microsoft programs called
"Picture It", an old CD for managing and editing photos that came with a
Kodak camera many years back, but it seems unlikely that this could be the
culprit. Anyway, I have de-installed it, as mentioned above. I have opened
these files with MS Word and found absolutely NOTHING in them.

Just Me

Jun 17, 2009, 8:26:38 PM6/17/09
"Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries" <rhonda...@earthling.net> wrote in

> Got any of these?
>
> http://filext.com/file-extension/LST

Thank you for the suggestion. I have nothing listed there.
Am bummed out!

VanguardLH

Jun 17, 2009, 10:23:00 PM6/17/09
Just Me wrote:

> Well I have Windows XP Professional, continuously updated. This has
> only appeared within the past week on s asystem that's been operating
> seamlesssly for 5 years +. I di install and then de-install a series
> of Microsoft programs called "Picture It", an old CD for managing and
> editing photos that came with a Kodak camera many years back, but it
> seems unlikely that this could be the culprit. Anyway, I have
> de-installed it, as mentioned above. I have opened these files with
> MS Word and found absolutely NOTHING in them.

Since the file reappears after you delete it, one of the processes
running on your host is recreating the file. Have you looked at the
list of processes in Task Manager's Processes list to see any that are
for programs that you don't expect to be running?

You can use SysInternal's FileMon to monitor what process creates the
file.

Greg Cisko

Jun 26, 2009, 12:17:59 AM6/26/09
"Just Me" <local_...@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> wrote in message

> In the past week, something on my HD hads been generating several
> instances
> of a file named cmsstorage.lst. It appears in 1/2 dozen folders and when
> deleted it reappears a few minutes later. It appears to contain 0 bytes
> and has the hidden attribute set.
>
> Norton AV doesn't flag it, nor does Registry Mechanic find anything

I am shocked that "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" has not chimed in as he/it is
the ultimate authority around here apparently. But you may want to try an
Avast boot CD. (avast.com).

> There is a backup products company, CMS Storage, but I have none of their
> products and they deny knowledge.
>
> Does anyone know what this is and what's generating it/how to remove it?

If it is something that has compromised your system a wipe and reinstall
is the only safe way.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jun 26, 2009, 7:11:47 AM6/26/09
Greg Cisko wrote:

> I am shocked that "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" has not chimed in as he/it
> is the ultimate authority around here apparently.

No, that would be Peter Norton. ^1

> But you may want to try an Avast boot CD. (avast.com).

That is reasonable advice.

^1. in reference to your other post.

--
-bts

jmv6809

Jul 17, 2009, 5:53:16 PM7/17/09

I also have a file that won't delete. I un-installed the program
"Undelete" from Diskeeper. In the "RecoveryBin" that Undelete used on
drive C is a file embeded several folders deep. It is an e-mail from
the Junk folder in my e-mail program (Incredimail). When I right click
the file I get these options and nothing else:

Open
Open With.....
-------------------
Send To (the right click context menu opens)
Copy to Folder
Move to Folder

The file name looks like a registry entry starting with "{" and ending
in "}".

9183

I've attached the filename as a jpg since I can't copy it to the
clipboard.

Any ideas as to how to delete?

|Filename: File.jpg |
|Download: http://forums.techarena.in/attachment.php?attachmentid=9183|