Quicken 2009 loses keyboard focus on register entry

Spammay Blockay

Oct 25, 2008, 10:38:29 PM10/25/08
Anyone have this problem? Quicken 2009 Home and Business (latest version) loses
keyboard focus after I press RETURN after entering a new record in the register.

This has never happened before in any version of Quicken I've used but this one.
I have the latest updates to Quicken, and this is happening... very very disconcerting.
I'm entering a list of transactions, but after each one I lose keyboard focus
and have to focus again using the mouse.

Really sucks.

- Tim

Jim Jensen

Oct 26, 2008, 1:29:44 AM10/26/08

If you don't find a solution elsewhere, try Flywheel. It solved a
different problem for me, and it's free (read the last part of the
article).

http://www.pcworld.com/article/117821/windows_tips_get_on_a_roll_with_freewheelin_windows.html

Spammay Blockay

Oct 26, 2008, 2:35:47 AM10/26/08
In article <kfTMk.6568$YU2...@nlpi066.nbdc.sbc.com>,

Thanks, I'll check it out!

- Tim

Spammay Blockay

Oct 26, 2008, 2:38:59 AM10/26/08
In article <kfTMk.6568$YU2...@nlpi066.nbdc.sbc.com>,
Jim Jensen <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

Just looked at that... not sure how that would have any effect here.
The mouse is not involved in navigation in this case, and certainly not
the mouse wheel. I'm just pressing the return key.

How are you supposing the two might be related?

- Tim

Jim Jensen

Oct 26, 2008, 4:57:13 AM10/26/08

It was just a long shot, something to try if all else failed, but you
are probably right.

In q2007, under Edit>Preferences>Quicken Program>QuickFill, there is a
setting - "use enter key to move between fields". Do you have that in
q2009? Is it checked?

Spammay Blockay

Oct 26, 2008, 4:05:24 PM10/26/08
In article <ShWMk.1365$%11....@flpi144.ffdc.sbc.com>,

Jim Jensen <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>It was just a long shot, something to try if all else failed, but you
>are probably right.

Oh well, thanks for the suggestion anyway. :-)

>In q2007, under Edit>Preferences>Quicken Program>QuickFill, there is a
>setting - "use enter key to move between fields". Do you have that in
>q2009? Is it checked?

Nope, not checked - I use ENTER to go to the next entry.
I could check it and see if using some other key-combo to
go to the next entry... is there any key combo you know besides
ENTER to go to the next entry/begin a new entry? Hitting ctrl-N
for 'new entry' brings up the dialog to ask if I want to save the
last one, which is also not what I want. I just want the usual
behavior of "finish this entry/start the next one" that ENTER
provides. I doubt that another key to accomplish that would
fix the focus problem tho'.

- Tim

John Pollard

Oct 26, 2008, 4:48:45 PM10/26/08

Can you determine where the focus is going? To MS Outlook, or
to an anti-virus app possibly?

Did the problem happen before you updated to R2?

I too am just taking a stab in the dark here, but the R2 release
introduced a new Quicken feature: the ability to synchronize
your Scheduled Transaction reminders with the MS Outlook
Calendar.

I think I read a post or two about something similar to what
you're experiencing, where users felt like their anti-virus
software was trying to do something while they were using
Quicken. I don't remember the details, so I am really guessing
about your situation is related to their complaint.

--

John Pollard
First initial underscore Last name at mchsi dot com

Spammay Blockay

Oct 26, 2008, 6:08:48 PM10/26/08
In article <ge2l2r$8kr$1...@aioe.org>, John Pollard <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:
>Spammay Blockay wrote:
>> Anyone have this problem? Quicken 2009 Home and Business
>> (latest
>> version) loses keyboard focus after I press RETURN after
>> entering a
>> new record in the register.
>>
>> This has never happened before in any version of Quicken I've
>> used
>> but this one.
>> I have the latest updates to Quicken, and this is happening...
>> very
>> very disconcerting. I'm entering a list of transactions, but
>> after
>> each one I lose keyboard focus
>> and have to focus again using the mouse.
>
>Can you determine where the focus is going? To MS Outlook, or
>to an anti-virus app possibly?

The frame of the Quicken window is still focused, so I assume it's going
to the frame itself. If I click on the account's tab itself, focus returns
to the next entry, as it had in the past. So I think it's internal to Quicken.

>Did the problem happen before you updated to R2?

I don't remember it happening before R2, so I think it's been introduced
in this release.

>I too am just taking a stab in the dark here, but the R2 release
>introduced a new Quicken feature: the ability to synchronize
>your Scheduled Transaction reminders with the MS Outlook
>Calendar.
>
>I think I read a post or two about something similar to what
>you're experiencing, where users felt like their anti-virus
>software was trying to do something while they were using
>Quicken. I don't remember the details, so I am really guessing
>about your situation is related to their complaint.

Hmm... well, I had disabled my anti-virus software to test this already,
and it didn't make any difference. I'll try a few more tests to check.
Thanks for the suggestions!

- Tim

Andrew DeFaria

Oct 26, 2008, 6:54:59 PM10/26/08
Are you using  X Mouse perhaps?
--
Andrew DeFaria
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Spammay Blockay

Oct 26, 2008, 7:15:49 PM10/26/08
In article <4904ea70$0$33552$742e...@news.sonic.net>,

Spammay Blockay <SPAMB...@BLOCKEDTOAVOIDSPAM.com> wrote:
>Hmm... well, I had disabled my anti-virus software to test this already,
>and it didn't make any difference. I'll try a few more tests to check.
>Thanks for the suggestions!
>
>- Tim

Nope, nothing worked. :-(

- Tim

Spammay Blockay

Oct 26, 2008, 7:17:27 PM10/26/08
In article <4904f542$0$89868$815e...@news.qwest.net>,
Andrew DeFaria <And...@DeFaria.com> wrote:
>-=-=-=-=-=-

>Spammay Blockay wrote:
>> Anyone have this problem? Quicken 2009 Home and Business (latest
>> version) loses keyboard focus after I press RETURN after entering a
>> new record in the register.
>>
>> This has never happened before in any version of Quicken I've used but
>> this one. I have the latest updates to Quicken, and this is
>> happening... very very disconcerting. I'm entering a list of
>> transactions, but after each one I lose keyboard focus and have to
>> focus again using the mouse.
>>
>> Really sucks.
>Are you using X Mouse perhaps?

Nope, I'm not using any specialty mouse control stuff. The only unusual
thing is the mouse driver for this particular mouse (it's a Lenovo wheel
mouse), but it has not caused any unusual behavior in any other app, and
I've been using it for a long time.

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I *believe* this just started with R2,
which I just downloaded the other day when I noticed this problem.

- Tim

John Pollard

Oct 26, 2008, 8:32:18 PM10/26/08
Spammay Blockay wrote:
> The frame of the Quicken window is still focused,
> so I assume it's going
> to the frame itself. If I click on the account's tab itself,
> focus
> returns to the next entry, as it had in the past.
> So I think it's internal to Quicken.

This comment is incomprehsible.

Either the focus shifts somewhere else ... or it doesn't.

Where does it shift to?

John Pollard

Oct 26, 2008, 8:27:32 PM10/26/08
Spammay Blockay wrote:
> The frame of the Quicken window is still focused,
> so I assume it's going
> to the frame itself.
> If I click on the account's tab itself, focus returns
> to the next entry, as it had in the past.
> So I think it's internal
> to Quicken.

This explantion is incomprehesible.

Spammay Blockay

Oct 26, 2008, 8:59:22 PM10/26/08
In article <ge3261$hnh$1...@registered.motzarella.org>,

John Pollard <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:
>Spammay Blockay wrote:
>> The frame of the Quicken window is still focused,
>> so I assume it's going
>> to the frame itself. If I click on the account's tab itself,
>> focus
>> returns to the next entry, as it had in the past.
>> So I think it's internal to Quicken.
>
>This comment is incomprehsible.
>
>Either the focus shifts somewhere else ... or it doesn't.
>
>Where does it shift to?

Sorry if you couldn't comprehend it. :-)

1. I mouse-click on a new register record: Keyboard Focus goes to 1st field

2. I tab through the fields, entering data in them: Keyboard Focus changes to each field in turn

3. I press Return/Enter: Keyboard Focus changes to 1st field in next (new) record

4. Keyboard Focus immediately LEAVES 1st field in next record.

Quicken frame remains in the foreground (i.e. it is the "focused
window, and receives keyboard events). HOWEVER, NO COMPONENT WITHIN THE FRAME
HAS KEYBOARD FOCUS. The window responds to Alt-[key] events, but no individual
component contained in the Frame responds to keyboard events.

Have you ever written GUI's? Keyboard focus follows various models, but in general,
keyboard events are targeted at a focused component (button, panel, dropdown, etc.).
If they are not handled by that component, they can be swallowed/ignored by that
component, or they can bubble up through component hierarchy until they reach the
top-level component, which is usually the Frame (at least it is in the
Java Swing/AWT model, which I am guessing is similar to the toolkit Quicken
uses in its keyboard event model... I surely could be wrong about that).

Does that clarify it for you?

- Tim

John Pollard

Oct 27, 2008, 9:46:21 AM10/27/08

Yes.

That is not what I believed to be the meaning of the word
"focus" (I understood it to refer to an application - or it's
window - not to fields within an application). But if you say
that is how the word is used, I'll take your word for it.

Have you seen this in multiple accounts? Multiple account
types? What happens when you click the "Enter" button?

I think the behavior you're seeing is quite uncommon, but a
quick check turned up one thread in the Quicken Forums whose OP
described something like this. Unfortunately there is little
insight in that post, and only one other poster reported having
the same experience. One possibly useful piece of info is that
one of the posters was using Vista, the other using XP; so it
doesn't appear to be os related.

You can determine whether it is a characteristic of R2 and
possibly determine if you have a corrupted installation, by
re-installing to R1, seeing if the problem occurs there, then
upgrading to R2 to see if the problem starts with that release,
or perhaps disappears, indicating a corrupted installation.

[I have Q2009 RPM R2 and I have not seen your problem with R1 or
R2.]

Andrew DeFaria

Oct 28, 2008, 1:08:20 AM10/28/08
John Pollard wrote:
That is not what I believed to be the meaning of the word "focus" (I understood it to refer to an application - or it's window - not to fields within an application). But if you say that is how the word is used, I'll take your word for it.
Keyboard focus has always meant which widget has the attention of the keyboard. It's not really that difficult to think of either. Let's assume a windowed application with two edit input widgets (two places you can type in text). If the application had the keyboard "focus" as you contest and you type an "a" then which edit widget would you assume would get that "a" character? Answer: The widget with the true keyboard focus. Therefore the application doesn't have the keyboard focus rather the widget does, although you can also think of the application as the one with the focus, the true focus is the widget within the application.

Note, additionally, non textual widgets can have keyboard focus too. For example, a button (what you call the Enter button) could have the current keyboard focus. Generally a space bar or the return key does the same action as clicking on the button.

Then there are tons of other keyboard accelerators and keystrokes such as Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, Alt-<letter> and even things like Alt-Tab, Ctrl-Tab, etc...
--
Andrew DeFaria
A preposition must never be used to end a sentence with.

Andrew DeFaria

Oct 28, 2008, 1:10:40 AM10/28/08
Spammay Blockay wrote:
Nope, I'm not using any specialty mouse control stuff. The only unusual thing is the mouse driver for this particular mouse (it's a Lenovo wheel mouse), but it has not caused any unusual behavior in any other app, and I've been using it for a long time.

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I *believe* this just started with R2, which I just downloaded the other day when I noticed this problem.
Well I use X Mouse from Powertoys because pointer focus is just so damn useful. There are several applications that don't work well with X Mouse, most notably Quicken so I thought...

In any event, you might try a standard mouse and it's driver if for nothing else but to eliminate that possibility...
--
Andrew DeFaria
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

Spammay Blockay

Oct 28, 2008, 1:30:20 AM10/28/08
In article <49069ed0$0$33214$815e...@news.qwest.net>,

Andrew DeFaria <And...@DeFaria.com> wrote:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>Spammay Blockay wrote:
>> Nope, I'm not using any specialty mouse control stuff. The only
>> unusual thing is the mouse driver for this particular mouse (it's a
>> Lenovo wheel mouse), but it has not caused any unusual behavior in any
>> other app, and I've been using it for a long time.
>>
>> As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I *believe* this just started
>> with R2, which I just downloaded the other day when I noticed this
>> problem.
>Well I use X Mouse from Powertoys because pointer focus is just so damn
>useful. There are several applications that don't work well with X
>Mouse, most notably Quicken so I thought...
>
>In any event, you might try a standard mouse and it's driver if for
>nothing else but to eliminate that possibility...

Yes, better try that first before I uninstall, reinstall, etc. etc.
THAT won't be fun if I end up having to do that.

- Tim

Spammay Blockay

Oct 28, 2008, 1:32:11 AM10/28/08
In article <NCjNk.407900$yE1.28362@attbi_s21>,

John Pollard <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

>Have you seen this in multiple accounts? Multiple account
>types? What happens when you click the "Enter" button?

If you mean the "Enter" button widget on the screen, yes, I've tried that,
same thing happens. :-( And it happens in all accounts.

>I think the behavior you're seeing is quite uncommon, but a
>quick check turned up one thread in the Quicken Forums whose OP
>described something like this. Unfortunately there is little
>insight in that post, and only one other poster reported having
>the same experience. One possibly useful piece of info is that
>one of the posters was using Vista, the other using XP; so it
>doesn't appear to be os related.
>
>You can determine whether it is a characteristic of R2 and
>possibly determine if you have a corrupted installation, by
>re-installing to R1, seeing if the problem occurs there, then
>upgrading to R2 to see if the problem starts with that release,
>or perhaps disappears, indicating a corrupted installation.
>
>[I have Q2009 RPM R2 and I have not seen your problem with R1 or
>R2.]

Thanks again for the suggestions; well, I'll take a look at those forums
you mention (hadn't tried there *sheepish grin*); my last resort will be
to try uninstall/reinstall. Hate that. :-)

- Tim

1281h...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2008, 2:22:46 PM10/28/08
On Oct 25, 7:38 pm, SPAMBLOC...@BLOCKEDTOAVOIDSPAM.com (Spammay

I upgraded to 2009 rental property management from 2007 deluxe and i
found out the same thing and it also handles the category payee
payment fields differently, most people wouldn't notice except i use a
program call QuicKeys which you can write scripts and shortcuts with.
I had too rewrite all new scrips for 2009 and had to add in a mouse
click to the script, total hassle i would have returned it except i
had put in a years worth of information. Than to find out from intuit
you can't go backwards.There are so many things that suck with
quicken. They have no competition, Microsoft money is not even close
it sucks even more.Some of my biggest grips with 2009 are,the size of
the category window if you have property address as part of your
category name it takes up the whole window totally lame, than the
flickering of the screen whats up with that? I don't know about any
one else but i don't need a million pie charts all i want are really
good reports with lots of options and i really think they could do
some more development there too. By the way QuicKeys is the greatest
programs i use with all my software programs from photoshop to autocad
but i don't use it as much as i use to since i bought a gaming key
board with 18 programmable keys.Mark

abrown_151

May 11, 2009, 3:55:37 PM5/11/09
abrown_151 had written this in response to
http://www.rockryno.com/quicken/Re-Quicken-2009-loses-keyboard-focus-on-register-entry-15964-.htm
:
I had the same problem with Quicken Home & Business 2009 - after entering
a transaction, the date in the following line is briefly highlighted, then
the keyboard focus basically seems to go NOWHERE. Perhaps it's the Quicken
window itself (probably what Spammay Blockay meant by the "frame").

The problem appears to be caused by something in the "Setup" tab. If
that's your default startup page, change it to something else:

Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Quicken Program -> Startup. Under Startup
preferences change "on startup open to:" to something other than "setup".
That fixed the problem for me and several other people.

However, if you go to the "Setup" tab at any time during your session, the
problem will come back. (Just exit Quicken and launch it again to fix the
problem.)

John Pollard wrote:

Newsgroup Access Courtesy http://www.rockryno.com/
Tax and Accounting Software Forums
alt.comp.software.financial.quicken - 17510 messages and counting!