Merge 2 quicken files together??

Pigments

Jan 15, 2008, 5:37:54 PM1/15/08
I stated using QH&B2008 around July of 07.
I didn't enter any info before that date.

Now I want to create a new file, input all the data from July 07 back to
Jan07 at least, maybe further. And then merge the back data with my current
file that is up to date.
The goal is to reduce the amount of figuring out the deposits back and forth
between accounts during the year and keep my current file correct and up to
date.

Is this a good idea and can it be done??
Thanks

Robert

GSalisbury

Jan 15, 2008, 7:44:21 PM1/15/08

"Pigments" <rober...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I wouldn't know if there are [specific] H&B nuances at issue as I'm Q06Dlx
(I don't see why there would be though), but why can't you just enter
historical info into your file and simply enter an adjust to zero etc. item
for some total along the way.
That way you can put in batches of history as you're so moved.
That way you wouldn't have to worry about combining some time down the road.
That way as you put it in it's always there.

FWIW, that's what I did way back when when I first began using Qkn.
It never occurred to me to make a new file.
I started using Q "for real" and then gradually entered and reconciled prior
statements.
Depending upon the account, sometimes I just entered a statement balance
line (and offset), other times I entered the entire statement (and an offset
line) and sometimes just selected lines (and an offset line).

I guess you could also put it into a parallel "closed" account that was kept
at zero.
Similar affect.

Geo. Salisbury
Long Valley, NJ

Pigments

Jan 15, 2008, 8:36:09 PM1/15/08

"GSalisbury" <salsburyg at comcast dot net> wrote in message
Geo
Thanks for the input.
I could do that, but I'm concerned I'll spend hours after importing old
months and then adding entries to correct the balance of each account. It's
similar to the problem I had when first setting it up. I'd import a new
account that had transfers to an account already balanced, i.e. balance a
checking account, then import a savings account. I spent hours linking the
transfers between the two accounts so that both would balance.

Consider my question this way.
Let's say for example I used Q and then I got married to someone(also a Q
user).
Now were married and we want to combine the two seperate files into one
file. Not exactly the same, but also

Thanks
Robert

treasur2

Jan 16, 2008, 4:07:49 AM1/16/08
On Jan 15, 5:36 pm, "Pigments" <robertd...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "GSalisbury" <salsburyg at comcast dot net> wrote in messagenews:NOmdnTgWVJH4zhDa...@comcast.com...
>

> > "Pigments" <robertd...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Robert- Hide quoted text -

Import "her" accounts, not her entire file. Since "she" has not did
any transfers to any of "your" accounts. Is there any risk?

John E. Golden

Jan 19, 2008, 1:10:44 AM1/19/08
"Pigments" <rober...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Got news for you, Bobby. If you get married, she'll just be interested in
spending your loot, not accounting for it.

Regards,
John E. Golden

Dick Yuknavech

Feb 11, 2008, 11:45:03 AM2/11/08
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 01:07:49 -0800 (PST), treasur2 wrote in
alt.comp.software.financial.quicken:

I've wanted to do that for some time. I'm making the statement that Q
won't let you do it.

You can EXPORT an account from one file to a QIF file. You can NOT
import that or any other QIF file unless it's a cash account or some
such.

QED.

Please, somebody prove I'm wrong....

--
Dick Yuknavech

definition, not smart enough to debug it." -- Brian Kernighan

John Pollard

Feb 11, 2008, 1:11:42 PM2/11/08
Dick Yuknavech wrote:

> You can EXPORT an account from one file to a QIF file. You can
> NOT
> import that or any other QIF file unless it's a cash account
> or some
> such.

If one has a single new non-investment account to import, a
Quicken Cash account will work fine. Once the transactions are
in the Quicken cash account, you can cut/paste them - all at
once - into the desired account type.

> Please, somebody prove I'm wrong....

Merging considerations:

http://tinyurl.com/yshkts

How to import:

http://tinyurl.com/2qk6wk

--
John Pollard
First initial underscore Last name at mchsi dot com