P2B + PII 450 Lockups

Jo Hole

Dec 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/29/98
Can any one help I have a P2B (Bios 1006) , PII 450 Mhz, 128 MB (100 mhz
SDRAM), Western Digital 6GB HD and Creative Labs Riva TNT 16 MB AGP graphics
card.

Running the P2B at 100 mhz clock speed will lock up Win98, the system boots
fine but then from 30sec to 5 mins the screens blanks and I am left witht he
power led flashing and one dead system. Reset will not work and the only way
to reboot is to hard power off.

The system will working with no problems if:
a: I run it in safe mode ( mother board at 100 mhz)
b: I run in normal win98 but clock down the mother board to 66 mhz

I have also tried a Matox Mill G200 ( AGP) and Matrox Mill (PCI) in case it
was a graphics problem but still no joy.

Paul

William Fong

Dec 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/29/98
Is your CPU overclocked?

-William

Jo Hole <j...@prh-home.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Wayne Hutchison

Dec 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/29/98
I've got the same setup as you do except for the video card and mine works
fine. I'm using a Diamond Stealth II S220 with a Diamond Monster 3D II (not
using the AGP slot right now). Are you trying to overclock the PII-450?

Wayne Hutchison

Christopher Lugovsky

Dec 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/29/98
It sounds to me that the P2-450 you are using may be a re-marked CPU. It's been
pretty rampant. Many of the OEM's sources are doing this practice pretty
frequently,NOT the OEM's themselves. There is a way to figure out if the chip
has been remarked however I'm not certain how. (May be someone out there on the
usenet can shed some light) I am certain, that a call to Intel's technical
support would be able to determine this.

Now, if you have bought a "Boxed Pentium-II" chip then it's authentic since
Intel was the direct supplier of that chip and remarking isn't what is causing
your problem.

Hope this helps.

Thomas Kemper

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98
Jo Hole schrieb in Nachricht
<914926115.19237.0...@news.demon.co.uk>...

>Can any one help I have a P2B (Bios 1006) , PII 450 Mhz, 128 MB (100 mhz
>SDRAM), Western Digital 6GB HD and Creative Labs Riva TNT 16 MB AGP
graphics
>card.
>Running the P2B at 100 mhz clock speed will lock up Win98, the system boots
>fine but then from 30sec to 5 mins the screens blanks and I am left witht
he
>power led flashing and one dead system. Reset will not work and the only
way
>to reboot is to hard power off.
>The system will working with no problems if:
>a: I run it in safe mode ( mother board at 100 mhz)
>b: I run in normal win98 but clock down the mother board to 66 mhz
>I have also tried a Matox Mill G200 ( AGP) and Matrox Mill (PCI) in case it
>was a graphics problem but still no joy.

Change your SDRAM, seems so that it's not stable at 100 MHz. Try some
another PC100!
Or try to play with your BIOS-Timings. Fast-settings?

Regards,
Thomas

carl m. trotto jr.

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98
Jo,

Go to Intel site and get utility CPUID. This will tell you what CPU you have.
http://developer.intel.com/vtune/cpuid/info.htm#More Information on CPUID and
Intel Microprocessors
http://developer.intel.com/vtune/cpuid/index.htm
Let me know how this works for you.

Regards,
Carl

Jo Hole wrote:

> Can any one help I have a P2B (Bios 1006) , PII 450 Mhz, 128 MB (100 mhz
> SDRAM), Western Digital 6GB HD and Creative Labs Riva TNT 16 MB AGP graphics
> card.
>
> Running the P2B at 100 mhz clock speed will lock up Win98, the system boots
> fine but then from 30sec to 5 mins the screens blanks and I am left witht he
> power led flashing and one dead system. Reset will not work and the only way
> to reboot is to hard power off.
>
> The system will working with no problems if:
> a: I run it in safe mode ( mother board at 100 mhz)
> b: I run in normal win98 but clock down the mother board to 66 mhz
>
> I have also tried a Matox Mill G200 ( AGP) and Matrox Mill (PCI) in case it
> was a graphics problem but still no joy.
>

> Paul

Chris and Sherie Peterson

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99
My configuration is slightly different from yours, but I encountered very
similar problems that turned out to be an issue with the wake-on-lan feature
on the P2B and on my 3COM 3c590 network interface card. When I disabled
wake-on-lan in BIOS and disconnected the wake-on-lan cable from the nic the
problem went away.