How to enable boot from usb device - P4P800 deluxe

wishnet

Sep 6, 2008, 11:26:32 AM9/6/08
I've flashed my P4P800 Deluxe to 2.51, and thought there'd now be an
option to boot from usb device. But I can't find any way to enable that.
I see ref's to it here in the ng. The boot menu does not offer a list of
hdd, but does have the boot device order options (3) which are currently
CD, floppy, hdd. I'm attempting to boot from a usb 2 dvd drive.

BigJim

Sep 6, 2008, 11:52:03 AM9/6/08
you can't boot from a device unless you installed a boot sector. So in order
to get it to work you would boot
with your OS from CD and then try to install the OS to the USB device. If
you can't do this, then booting from a USB device
is a no go.
"wishnet" <wis...@wishnet.zzz> wrote in message

BigJim

Sep 6, 2008, 11:56:14 AM9/6/08
One other thing, if you do create a USB boot device with a Windows OS it can
only be used
for the machine it was originally setup on.

wishnet

Sep 6, 2008, 1:13:33 PM9/6/08
In article <z7Sdne7SWpG0Ol_V...@comcast.com>,
big...@hotmail.com says...
I'm not sure what you've written applies. I didn't explain fully, the
dvd that I'd like to boot from is the windows 2008 evaluation disk. I
would expect it to start the installation routine, but nothing happens,
just a msg that no boot device was found. HDD has no os at this time.
Message has been deleted

Paul

Sep 6, 2008, 5:56:24 PM9/6/08
Bill wrote:
> In article <MPG.232c41042...@newsgroups.comcast.net>,
> wis...@wishnet.zzz says...

>> I've flashed my P4P800 Deluxe to 2.51, and thought there'd now be an
>> option to boot from usb device.
>
> Your motherboard may be too old for such shenanagans. Booting off a
> USB drive is a fairly recent thing. Now, saying that should elicit a
> bunch of people to prove me wrong and fix your problem.

>> But I can't find any way to enable that.
>> I see ref's to it here in the ng. The boot menu does not offer a list of
>> hdd, but does have the boot device order options (3) which are currently
>> CD, floppy, hdd. I'm attempting to boot from a usb 2 dvd drive.
>
> After reading your other post < yes, it helps to put important clues
> like "windows 2008 evaluation disk" in the original post > does this
> dvd boot in any other pc? Perhaps it's not a bootable dvd.
>
> Bill

The P4P800 Deluxe motherboard manual, shows a "USB Mass Storage Device
Configuration" page in the BIOS, so it does know something about USB
storage devices. The trick will be, figuring out just what it
needs to work.

Paul

Mick

Sep 6, 2008, 7:15:05 PM9/6/08

"Paul" <nos...@needed.com> wrote in message news:g9uu1m$2jq$1...@aioe.org...

my board a P4V800D-X, is essentially the same as the P4P800 but, with a VIA
chipset instead of Intel, and it *does* boot from USB devices *with some
limits*

It only seems to boot from a memory card if the card reader is USB 2 and
will only boot from true USB thumb drives, not MP3 players :o(

Also worth mentioning is USB drives < 512MB are considered floppies by
default (this can be changed in the BIOS)

HTH
Mick

wishnet

Sep 6, 2008, 7:28:46 PM9/6/08
In article <MPG.232c97f75356d4a698995e@localhost>,
spam...@tinlc.lumbercartel.com says...

> In article <MPG.232c41042...@newsgroups.comcast.net>,
> wis...@wishnet.zzz says...
> > I've flashed my P4P800 Deluxe to 2.51, and thought there'd now be an
> > option to boot from usb device.
>
> Your motherboard may be too old for such shenanagans. Booting off a
> USB drive is a fairly recent thing. Now, saying that should elicit a
> bunch of people to prove me wrong and fix your problem.
>
> > But I can't find any way to enable that.
> > I see ref's to it here in the ng. The boot menu does not offer a list of
> > hdd, but does have the boot device order options (3) which are currently
> > CD, floppy, hdd. I'm attempting to boot from a usb 2 dvd drive.
>
> After reading your other post < yes, it helps to put important clues
> like "windows 2008 evaluation disk" in the original post > does this
> dvd boot in any other pc? Perhaps it's not a bootable dvd.
>
> Bill

Yes, the dvd does boot on other pcs. I've read here that others have had
luck with booting from usb devices but nothing specific re dvd drive, so
it may just be a bad matchup.

wishnet

Sep 6, 2008, 7:30:46 PM9/6/08
In article <g9uu1m$2jq$1...@aioe.org>, nos...@needed.com says...
Yes. There is such a page but it says No USB Mass Storage Devices
Detected.

William

Sep 6, 2008, 8:52:22 PM9/6/08

"wishnet" <wis...@wishnet.zzz> wrote in message

Though I don't have your mobo, ASUS recently (about 6 months ago,) added to
my mobo bios, a P5W DH Deluxe, the boot from USB device to their BIOS
update. I now have a screen added to the boot sequence that states "No USB
device found, continuing boot sequence" each time I boot my computer that I
did not have before the most recent bios update.

Perhaps you can look and see if their are any updates to your bios that
offers this. It is definitely a recent addition to many mobo's bios.

William

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Ian D

Sep 8, 2008, 1:00:15 PM9/8/08
> You flashed to 2.51 ? please elaborate as the latest bios I can find
> on asus website is 1021-006 beta
>
> Walter

The 2.51 sounds more like a version number for the flash utility,
except that the latest listed for the P4P800 Dlx is 2.26. The BIOS
numbers are in the 10xx range, as you indicated, Walter.

ID