P2B "ERROR -- Can't Write ESCD"

Harald Stellner

Apr 15, 2001, 12:44:36 PM4/15/01
My Board ASUS P2B (PII 333MHZ) give the Message "ERROR -- Can't Write ESCD"
What can I do?

Har...@Stellner.de
Harald

JD

Apr 15, 2001, 1:01:38 PM4/15/01
ESCD is enabled in bios?

"Harald Stellner" <Har...@Stellner.de> wrote in message

Harald Stellner

Apr 15, 2001, 1:22:21 PM4/15/01
The Bios don't have this features.

"JD" <jde...@mindsprong.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Sal

Apr 15, 2001, 10:33:26 PM4/15/01
that usually means your bios chip went bad. This is what escd stands for.
Extended System Configuration Data and this is what it does. In personal
computers with Windows, ESCD (Extended System Configuration Data) is data
that provides a computer's basic input/output system and the operating
system with information for communicating with plug and play (PnP) devices.
Full PnP capability requires a PnP BIOS. When a computer is started, the
BIOS records in the ESCD information about how older (legacy application)
devices are configured to the system. A pre-PnP device has an inflexible
configuration (for example, a specified interrupt request setting).
PnP-attached devices can automatically be configured around the existing
older configurations (or, when necessary, configured manually).

Thanks to www.whatis.com for a good explanation and if you ask me that
error message isn't a good sign. When mine did it back in november I
contacted asus tech support by e-mail (yes they did respond and only 5
minutes after I e-mailed them). I was setup with a new bios in a couple of
weeks (cost me 25 bucks) and the computer has been running great since.

Sal