Problems connecting to 3C2000 (3Com 3C940)

Monty B

Jun 12, 2003, 4:36:29 PM6/12/03
Greeteings,

I am testing a new Asus P4C800 Deluxe motherboard with the built in
3Com 3C940 GB ethernet port. I am loading RedHat Linux 7.2 and using
the 3C2000 driver provided with the motherboard. The same version is
available on Asus's web site.

I am having problems with this and suspect the driver to be flaky. Has
anyone else had problems or do you know of another driver for this I
can try?

More details below.

Thanks,

Monty

The driver loads great, and I am able to connect to anything on the
network from the linux test system. I am also able to connect to the
linux test system from any other linux box or windows box.

My problem is I am unable to connect to the system from my Sun Sparc
Solaris boxes. When trying to connect (using telnet or ssh) it times
out, and a 'netstat -a' shows a constant SYN_SENT status for the
connection. Doing an 'strace' on the linux box shows that the process
(xinetd, sshd) is not seeing the attempted connection. I am not doing
any firewalling on the linux test box, and can connect if I use
another linux box from the same IP Address as the Solaris box.

If I move the linux test box to another subnet, I can then connect
from my Solaris box. So if the packets are sent through a router (and
I imagine rebuilt) the connection works fine.

I have the same OS (RedHat 7.2) installed on other linux boxes and
they work okay. It is only this one system with this driver.

I have also tried the latest 2.4.20-18 kernel (with the same driver)
and get the same results.

It seems as if the TCP stack on the linux box is having problems with
the packets sent directly from the Solaris box, but not others. It
seems this is probably an issue with the driver as this is the only
thing different for this system.

Paul

Jun 12, 2003, 10:03:44 PM6/12/03
In article <4519a32b.0306...@posting.google.com>,
mo...@nishansystems.com (Monty B) wrote:

I thought some Unix boxes liked to do reverse name lookup, to
authenticate IP addresses in the packets they receive. If you have
hosts on your network, which are assigned IP addresses, but whatever
name server doesn't have a symbolic name for them, maybe that would
be enough to prevent a connection. (I used to be unable to log into
a Sun from a modem pool, when the modem pool didn't have symbolic
names assigned to the ports. The Sun would reject the connection,
because when it tried to convert 1.2.3.4 IP address to a name, there
would be no match, so the Sun would reject the connection attempt.
Logging into a HP workstation under the same conditions was no problem
at all. That was a long time ago, and I've forgotten the details.
Maybe your computers are attempting reverse name lookup as well, to
prevent spoofing. Try assigning a host name to the machine which is
the client in the client-server relationship.)

Just a guess,
Paul

Peter Liska

Jul 1, 2003, 10:12:46 PM7/1/03

I found a big problem with the linux drivers for the 3c940/3c2000, as well.
For me, it manifests when trying to connect to the network card via NAT.
Connecting from a machine on the same subnet is fine, and any regular,
routable IP's are fine, too. Behind any kind of NAT gateway, though, the
connections seem to stop after a few kB. The latest drivers (044) from
Asus's website seemed to fix the issue if a Linksys box was doing the NAT,
but my linux gateway networks still have the same issue.

Of course, Asus has been ignoring my queries, or telling me to download the
driver again. As the problem is somewhat addressed in the 044 release, I
suspect they know this is an issue with their linux driver, but won't admit
there's a serious issue.

Peter

mo...@nishansystems.com (Monty B) wrote in news:4519a32b.0306121236.b6772d4
@posting.google.com:

@nospace.torfree.net Buurin

Jul 2, 2003, 11:17:04 PM7/2/03
What connection you are using? I guess you're using some kind of broadband
if you need a NIC to go out. Try lowering the MTU in your Linux networking
setup, especially if you are using ADSL with PPPoE - try 1464 or 1492.

Keith

"Peter Liska" <pli...@digitalview.com> wrote in message

Peter Liska

Jul 4, 2003, 11:29:46 AM7/4/03
Hi - thanks for the advice. Since it was a production environment, I ended
up quickly popping 3c905's into the new servers, and now it's all working
fine. Is the MTU set on a per-interface basis, and if so, could it be set
in the driver source, by chance?

Since everything else is identical across the cluster (except the 2 new
machines have these 3Com 2000's), I strongly suspect the drivers are/were
the issue. It's not such a burning issue now that I've got replacement
cards to hold me over until a fix is available, but I'm really curious as
to what's causing this very strange problem.

Peter

"Buurin" <ci259 @ nospace.torfree.net> wrote in

Armin Pfeffer

Jul 8, 2003, 2:10:49 AM7/8/03

Hi all ot there,
Like many of you, I also found problems with some specific data to
transfer. With ver 42 and 44 the problem still persists in XP. I'm not
using Linux, though I could not give the test results all you gave.
But, as my ADSL Router hase some good trace options, it seemed to be
the same, the answers from the remote host seemed not to be accepted,
packets are lost and the connection timed out.
This was quite frequently to be seen with forte agent and some
individual news artikles, that could not be retrieved.
Like with you, swapping the NIC against any other (D-Link or Kingston
or 3Com 9xx solved the issue.
For me it's surely flakey drivers.
The problem is, we have to wait for ASUS to provide better drivers, as
I did not find any support at 3com.
We know, what this means!

hth
Armin

David Neill

Jul 29, 2003, 10:27:13 AM7/29/03
Peter Liska <pli...@digitalview.com> wrote in message news:<Xns93ABE3...@63.223.5.254>...

I also had strange problems with this motherboard, network interface, and
Linux. Found drivers that seem to clear up the problems at SysKonnect, the
chip-maker for the 3c2000/3c940.

driver location:

http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/support/driver/d0102_driver.html

follow the menus (Gigabit Ethernet -> SK98XX -> Linux ->)

supported kernels (a/o 07/23/2003) are:

2.2.25
2.4.21
2.6.0

There are also drivers for Windows, Solaris, etc.

You end up compiling a driver called sk98lin.o, which is an option in
the 2.4.21 kernel, already. I never tried the driver that came with the
kernel... it may have worked just fine. The object files that get built
from the SysKonnect software are different from the sk98lin.o file you get
with the kernel build.

Anyway, samba works to/from a winXP box, and the connections to web sites
that didn't work before, work now. Hope this works for you, too.