Need A Gigabyte P4 system with DDR333 Support

C.B.

Jul 13, 2002, 7:48:50 PM7/13/02
Guys,

I am looking at both the GA 81EXP and the 81GX. I have settled on a GIGABYTE
board, however, I am reluctant to shell out on a board that does not offer
DDR333 support.

It appears that the Inetl 845 E chipset does not offer support for DDR 333,
whilst the Intel 845G DOES. From the stuff I have read... the Intel 845G
chipset does not OFFICIALLY support DDR333... but you CAN run it via a BIOS
setting.

My questions;

1. IS there a BIOS option for the 81EXP to run DDR333, notwithstanding the
fact that this feature is not documented ?

2. Although there are (albeit conflicting) reports of successfully running
DDR333 in the 81GX, it appears that neither board officially supports
DDR333. Does this mean that there are still options in the BIOS to enable a
higher mem clock than 133khz, or does this mean you simply cannot run DDR333
in these boards.

3. If DDR333 CAN be enabled in either BIOS, do you get the full capability
from the RAM, or is it crippled through lack of official support ?

4. I want RAID and all the features you get with the 81EXP, so this is my
prefered board. If it is the case that only the 81GX offers DDR333, is there
a possibility that GIGABYTE may offer a BIOS update in the short term to
allow the 81EXP to support DDR333 ... DDR400 etc ?

5. How solid have GIGABYTE been in the past with BIOS updates ? I mean to
say, if the Intel 845E or G is given the tick by Intel to use DDR333 in,
say, 4 months, will GIGABYTE answer the call with a BIOS update to the 845E
and/or G ?

THanks in advance guys.

Chris

Jeffrey Karp

Jul 14, 2002, 9:37:50 AM7/14/02
If you want to use DDR 333, then get an Athlon XP processor,
and a motherboard with the KT333 chipset.

Stefan Dorman

Jul 14, 2002, 9:59:52 AM7/14/02
I have the GA-8IEXP it is a very stable board
but it doesn't offer DDR333 support but you can increase the fsb to 166
and the memory will run at 333 again no problem
DON'T go with any thing that Via has to offer you will nothing but poor
performance
running raid will have very low bench marks , using any creative labs sound
card will have problems
I have jump from using the VIA chip boards and I won't look back

"Jeffrey Karp" <jeff...@erols.com> wrote in message

Adam Frankel

Jul 14, 2002, 1:09:20 PM7/14/02
I have the GA-8IEXP...you can get DDR333 support if you plan on o/c'ing.

You can multiply the FSB by 2.0 or 2.66 to get the effective memory rate.

So if you get a Northwood A CPU (with 100*4 Mhz FSB), and you overclock to
125 FSB...you can use the 2.66 Multiplier to have DDR333 support.

So you will end up with a faster CPU, high FSB...and it has an AGP/PCI
lock....so you won't damage your other components with the overclock.
-Adam

"C.B." <cbowen@bigpond*spam*.net.au> wrote in message

C.B.

Jul 14, 2002, 7:14:22 PM7/14/02
If I wanted help with an Athlon / VIA combo dude... I would have asked. I
have an Athlon 1.4 and VIA rig now... and I personally despise VIA and their
shit drivers and generally unstable chipset.

CB

"Jeffrey Karp" <jeff...@erols.com> wrote in message

Stefan Dorman

Jul 14, 2002, 11:10:56 PM7/14/02
You tell him C.B

"C.B." <cbowen@bigpond*spam*.net.au> wrote in message

Jeffrey Karp

Jul 14, 2002, 11:21:54 PM7/14/02
I guess you have an old motherboard? The KT333 and KT266A
chipsets are nice.

Stefan Dorman

Jul 14, 2002, 11:35:58 PM7/14/02
Personally I have owned from the first of the year
ASUS A7V333 , ABIT AT7 2 of them , Gigabyte ga-7vrxp all kt333 chip boards
and I do upgrade atleast with the newest stuff every 6 months have been
since the early 90's
and all of them were a problem to the point I spent a shit load of money
trying to configure them to atleast run stable which was a losing battle
so I finally woke up to the fact anything that has a VIA chip is one piece
of shit
with the new Northwood Intel cpu's and 845 chip board's which is a excellent
combo
you have stability and performance can't ask for anything else

What good is AMD performance if you don't have stability

"Jeffrey Karp" <jeff...@erols.com> wrote in message

Jeffrey Karp

Jul 14, 2002, 11:46:03 PM7/14/02
LOL! If you have a personal bias against Via, you can always get
a motherboard with an nForce chipset, or one with an AMD chipset
for use with an Athlon XP processor.

Carlo Razzeto

Jul 14, 2002, 11:49:57 PM7/14/02
The AMD 760 chipset is pretty nice, VIA's arn't as horrible as they used to
be. At least in my experiance, certainly not as bad as the early Apollo
chipsets. But they still arn't great, you can't compare them to an Intel or
AMD chipset. But just stable enough for average home use.

Carlo

"Stefan Dorman" <std...@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message

---

Stefan Dorman

Jul 15, 2002, 12:08:42 AM7/15/02
As I just explain and I'm sure C.B has no intension to go to anything that
AMD can produce
not worth the headache
Jeffery you should take a look at AMDMB.COM forum and see the most simple
stuff that VIA can't even comprehend like Creative sound card incompatibles
, heat issues , voltage issues , video card issues , hardrive performance
issues I have put up with those same issues since for years
shit I even tried ALI and AMD chip boards and the amd chip board which my
buddy owns now loves it not screaming in performance but is stable till AMD
discontinued the chip ...gee like shooting your self in the foot ...there
loss INTEL gain

"Jeffrey Karp" <jeff...@erols.com> wrote in message

Jeffrey Karp

Jul 15, 2002, 12:28:15 AM7/15/02

Stefan Dorman wrote:

> As I just explain and I'm sure C.B has no intension to go to anything that
> AMD can produce
> not worth the headache
> Jeffery you should take a look at AMDMB.COM forum and see the most simple
> stuff that VIA can't even comprehend like Creative sound card incompatibles

The old Sound Blaster Live with older Via chipsets? Not relevant for someone
building a new system now.

> , heat issues

only if the system is improperly built.

> , voltage issues

One should use an AMD recommended power supply.

> , video card issues

Such as?

> , hardrive performance
> issues

What?

> I have put up with those same issues since for years
> shit I even tried ALI and AMD chip boards and the amd chip board which my
> buddy owns now loves it not screaming in performance but is stable till AMD
> discontinued the chip ...gee like shooting your self in the foot ...there
> loss INTEL gain

There are many people out there with very stable AMD based
systems. The fact that you may have had an improperly built systems
reflects on the person who built them.

Lenny

Jul 15, 2002, 12:37:24 PM7/15/02

> Personally I have owned from the first of the year
> ASUS A7V333 , ABIT AT7 2 of them , Gigabyte ga-7vrxp all kt333 chip boards
> and I do upgrade atleast with the newest stuff every 6 months have been
> since the early 90's
> and all of them were a problem to the point I spent a shit load of money
> trying to configure them to atleast run stable which was a losing battle
> so I finally woke up to the fact anything that has a VIA chip is one piece
> of shit

So how come there are hundreds of thousands of AMD/VIA systems out there
running flawlessly? Dude, maybe it's not the hardware itself, but the
user...? ;-)

Stefan Dorman

Jul 15, 2002, 11:46:38 PM7/15/02
GEE lenny your so smart

and all this time I tought it was the boards
and ibet you are drooling over the kt400 that is coming out ..........not
I will just watch the amdmb.com forum for the same bullshit that been going
on since kt266 boards

"Lenny" <y...@wish.haha> wrote in message

Lenny

Jul 16, 2002, 12:34:52 PM7/16/02

> GEE lenny your so smart

That should be "you're" or "you are"... Sloppy work there, Stefan. Your ass
goes straight back to school! :-D

> and all this time I tought it was the boards
> and ibet you are drooling over the kt400 that is coming out ..........not

Drooling? No. Slightly tickled? Not even close, KT400 is just about the same
as its previous incarnates. Nforce2 looks promising, but I'm far more
interested in Nvidia's Hammer chipset. THAT's interesting stuff!

> I will just watch the amdmb.com forum for the same bullshit that been
going
> on since kt266 boards

Intel boards aren't exactly perfect either. Nothing is in the PC business!
And there's a far higher likelihood someone will cry on a forum because his
board doesn't work than someone will post and say his board runs without any
problems whatsoever. The reason for that I leave for you to figure out, but
you should still manage, heh heh! ;-)

So I really don't see your point in using forum traffic to confirm your pet
theory that VIA chipsets suck. It seems like a poor method to me. Sure, it
confirms what you want to see, but you're not seeing all of the truth; ie
all the users that do not have any particular problems.

You understand what I'm saying here, dude?

Paul Tiseo

Jul 16, 2002, 12:36:20 PM7/16/02
In article <8TCY8.16153$p56.5...@newsb.telia.net>, y...@wish.haha
says...
> So how come there are hundreds of thousands of AMD/VIA systems out there
> running flawlessly? Dude, maybe it's not the hardware itself, but the
> user...? ;-)

I've built many VIA/AMD systems that are out in production now and
are running without the problems Stefan Dorman is expressing. His
experience is not the norm...

(Any opinions expressed are strictly mine only and not my employer's)
Paul Tiseo, Intermediate Systems Programmer
Reply To: 123tis...@123mayo.edu (drop the numbers)

chrisv

Jul 16, 2002, 4:03:15 PM7/16/02
"Carlo Razzeto" <craz...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>The AMD 760 chipset is pretty nice, VIA's arn't as horrible as they used to
>be. At least in my experiance, certainly not as bad as the early Apollo
>chipsets. But they still arn't great, you can't compare them to an Intel or
>AMD chipset. But just stable enough for average home use.

Nice top post. Good thing you kept the 120+ lines appended to your 5
line comment...

chrisv

Jul 16, 2002, 4:04:03 PM7/16/02
"Stefan Dorman" <std...@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

>GEE lenny your so smart

At least he's not a top poster.

Adam Frankel

Jul 16, 2002, 5:02:12 PM7/16/02
What's a top poster mean?
-Adam

"chrisv" <chr...@chrisv.com> wrote in message

ZOD

Jul 17, 2002, 2:13:35 PM7/17/02
> I've built many VIA/AMD systems that are out in production now and
> are running without the problems Stefan Dorman is expressing. His
> experience is not the norm...

Of course you do....hehe

Sith Lord

Jul 17, 2002, 4:41:03 PM7/17/02

Well ZOD, got yerself a Gigabyte board then? Or you posting from the
Intel group?

--
To err is human; to really foul things up requires a computer.

ZOD

Jul 18, 2002, 1:32:00 AM7/18/02
> Well ZOD, got yerself a Gigabyte board then? Or you posting from the
> Intel group?

Intel....hehe...what else?

GB

Jul 27, 2002, 12:41:21 PM7/27/02
Wait for the GA-8IGXP....
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/products/8igxp.htm

Tom's hardware has a review on it also (GA-8iGXP)
http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q3/020722/index.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q3/020722/intel845g-08.html

Good luck...
GB

CB

Jul 27, 2002, 8:34:15 PM7/27/02
too late. I have a kick-ass 81GX. Am I'm happy. I already have a firewire
card and raid is not essential to me

CB

"GB" <g...@hotmail.com> wrote in message