Taskbar moved to top of screen, won't move back to bottom

Janine

Aug 2, 2010, 10:52:03 AM8/2/10
I was using firefox typing a message and noticed my taskbar moved to
the top of my desktop. I tried moving it back making sure it is not
locked, but it is stuck there. I can pull it longer, hide it under
apps, make it on top of apps, so on. I just can't move it to the sides
or back to the bottom.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys, J9

Steve Urbach

Aug 2, 2010, 11:28:37 AM8/2/10

Right click. Unlock taskbar.
Now throw it where you want it.
Lock when done

Richard Malchik

Aug 2, 2010, 11:32:55 AM8/2/10

As initially stated, it's not locked.

Thank you for trying. ;

Lou Ravi

Aug 2, 2010, 1:24:15 PM8/2/10

Right click on an empty part of the bar, hold the button down and move the
bar (arrow) to the bottom, you won't see anything happen until you get
there.

Janine

Aug 2, 2010, 1:33:50 PM8/2/10

Both me and my brother have tried this. It does not work. Also, the
task bar is not locked. I can pull it longer, hide it under apps,

Irwell

Aug 2, 2010, 4:33:21 PM8/2/10

This Firefox Forum is the place to get the answer
to your problem. You probably need to reset the config.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38

knuttle

Aug 2, 2010, 7:30:06 PM8/2/10
Are you talking about the task bar (Tool-bars)in Windows or the task bar
in Firefox?

Periodically I have had the Windows Toolbar decide it wanted to be at
the top, and have spent hours getting it back to where it was suppose to
be. Problem, I did not really understand how it got up there and did
not realize what I did differently to get it back to the bottom.

Lou Ravi

Aug 3, 2010, 3:13:52 AM8/3/10

Sorry my fault, it's the left button you want, not the right.

Richard Malchik

Aug 3, 2010, 9:00:25 AM8/3/10

It's the Windows taskbar that moved to the top while I was in Firefox.
Similar to you, I don't know how it got moved to the top of my
desktop, and nothing I can do is moving it back, or even to the sides.

I CAN make many changes such as size, hide, so on. Just can't move
it.

Gary Dingle

Aug 3, 2010, 9:22:44 AM8/3/10
Try clicking and draggin on the bottom edge of the taskbar to make it
2 or 3 times the height.
Then give moving it a try!
Good luck
Gary

Strobe

Aug 3, 2010, 10:46:26 AM8/3/10

To move mine, I have to click on the bar very close to the "Start" button.

--

Terry V.

Irwell

Aug 3, 2010, 11:19:37 AM8/3/10
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 22:52:44 +0930, Gary Dingle wrote:

> Try clicking and draggin on the bottom edge of the taskbar to make it
> 2 or 3 times the height.
> Then give moving it a try!
> Good luck
> Gary

That works OK for me using XP.

Janine

Aug 4, 2010, 11:11:30 AM8/4/10

Thanks for all the replies. None of them work. Even my brother
Richard can't get them to work.

J9

relic

Aug 4, 2010, 12:16:04 PM8/4/10

"Janine" <J...@sbc.com> wrote in message

Format and Clean install.

Carol S.

Aug 4, 2010, 1:29:33 PM8/4/10
Have you tried removing Firefox..then reboot and reinstalling it?
Have you also scanned your pc for spyware?
Message has been deleted

Lou Ravi

Aug 4, 2010, 1:17:56 PM8/4/10

You must be doing something wrong then as it works for everyone else.

Lou Ravi

Aug 4, 2010, 5:27:05 PM8/4/10
Carol S. wrote:
> Have you tried removing Firefox..then reboot and reinstalling it?
> Have you also scanned your pc for spyware?

A virus that stops you moving the taskbar? And what would be the point of
that exacltly? Don't make me laugh please. Janine is incompetent, (sorry
Janine) it stops there. Maybe a gremlin has crept into her computer
overnight.

I've seen some stupid replies over the years but yours takes the biscuit.
Sorry. If you don't know what you are talking about then the best thing to
do is shut up.

Carol S.

Aug 4, 2010, 5:33:17 PM8/4/10
Apparently, you haven't fixed many computers. I have and this can happen
with trojun virus' and spyware.

No, I won't shut up.

Calling people who ask for help incompetent seems to me you need to
quiet down. Being rude is not nice.
Now, go to your room till manners are learned if possible.

Lou Ravi

Aug 4, 2010, 6:22:32 PM8/4/10
Carol S. wrote:
> Apparently, you haven't fixed many computers. I have and this can
> happen with trojun virus' and spyware.

I mend computers every day dear.

> No, I won't shut up.

I wasn't telling *you* to shut up. Maybe you should learn to read Usenet
correctly, it'l be a start on the way to being able to use your compuer
correctly.

> Calling people who ask for help incompetent seems to me you need to
> quiet down. Being rude is not nice.
> Now, go to your room till manners are learned if possible.

You've been given the solution by several people and you say it doesn't
work. Well I'm sorry but it does, so if you can't make it work the only
logical conclusion is that you are incompetent. Sorry, but that's the way it
is.

BTW, replies go below the post not above it. You haven't even managed to
work that out. As I say, you are incompetent.. Everyone here is willing to
hepl you or anyone but 'god helps those who help themselves' and if you
aren't capable of following simple instructions then you might as well
bugger off and stop asking for advice that you don't heed and wasting
everyone's time.

And sorry, there is no virus or trojan that would waste its time blocking a
taskbar.

Sorry to be so hard but not only do I not suffer fools gladly, I do not
suffer them at all.

Carol S.

Aug 4, 2010, 6:32:10 PM8/4/10
Certainly hope your nicer to the ones who bring you their computers or
call to ask for help.

For some reason it hasn't worked for her so it could be another problem
she may be having.

I post above the reply so I don't need to read everything again..you
have your choice just as I have mine in regard to posting.

Have a nice day sometime..

Cross posts *snipped*

Richard Malchik

Aug 4, 2010, 9:35:32 PM8/4/10
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 16:43:25 -0400, Brian Matthews
<noone...@ddd.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 13:29:33 -0400, "Carol S." <cjspa...@gmail.com>
>wrote:

>I saw this forum post. I don't need to try it but it sounds like you
>could give it a shot. Just check for any virus before you execute it.
>
>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/restoretaskbar.reg
>
>From;
>http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/29080810/taskbar-moved-to-top-of-screen-and-wont-move-back.aspx

Brian!

This fixed the taskbar stuck at the top! TYVM

And thank you to everyone that contributed suggestions.

J9

Lou Ravi

Aug 5, 2010, 2:58:30 AM8/5/10
Carol S. wrote:
> Certainly hope your nicer to the ones who bring you their computers or
> call to ask for help.
>
> For some reason it hasn't worked for her so it could be another
> problem she may be having.

I really can't see what. It works on every computer I've tried it on. You
click on the bar, hold the button down and, if on the top, move the bar
first to the side then to the bottom. It is really very simple.

> I post above the reply so I don't need to read everything again..you
> have your choice just as I have mine in regard to posting.

It isn't a choice, it is the way Usenet recommends it and the way civilised
people post. Do you start a book at the end and then read through to page 1?
No of course not. Top posting is equivalent, one reads the reply before the
question.

> Have a nice day sometime..

I do every day thanks.

> Cross posts snipped

There was no crossposting. It seems you do not know what that means, it
applies when the same message is sent to several groups, which wasn't the
case.

Raoul Watson

Aug 5, 2010, 5:36:06 AM8/5/10
Lou Ravi wrote:
> Carol S. wrote:
>>..<snip>

>> For some reason it hasn't worked for her so it could be another
>> problem she may be having.
>
> I really can't see what. It works on every computer I've tried it on. You
> click on the bar, hold the button down and, if on the top, move the bar
> first to the side then to the bottom. It is really very simple.
>
>..<snip>

Although I am agreeing with you..
I suppose there is a remote possibility that someone tinkered with the
mouse control panel and a click drag may not quite work the same. Such
as making it a left-hand mouse, etc. etc. Check to make sure the mouse
is normal and of course I believe you already stated the taskbar is
*not* locked..

Janine

Aug 5, 2010, 8:52:48 AM8/5/10

I wish to thank all who posted suggestions. Especially Brian, this
worked first time!

I'm posting thank you again from my account, not my brother's
(Richard) account so it will be seen in the thread with my name.

J9

Message has been deleted

Joe Zeff

Aug 5, 2010, 10:07:44 PM8/5/10
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 23:27:05 +0200, Lou Ravi wrote:

> If you don't know what you are talking about then the best thing to do
> is shut up.

The only problem with that is that it assumes that the person you're
talking to realizes how little they know.

--
Joe Zeff -- The Guy With The Sideburns:
http://www.zeff.us http://www.lasfs.info

Richard Malchik

Aug 5, 2010, 10:49:06 PM8/5/10
On 06 Aug 2010 02:07:44 GMT, Joe Zeff
<the.guy.with....@lasfs.info> wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 23:27:05 +0200, Lou Ravi wrote:
>
>> If you don't know what you are talking about then the best thing to do
>> is shut up.
>
>The only problem with that is that it assumes that the person you're
>talking to realizes how little they know.

Not exactly sure which respondents you're referring to, but "Lou Ravi"
underestimates other people's skills and overestimates his own
contributions. Further, there's rarely a valid excuse for rudeness.

The only valid constructive criticism resulted in "I should have
Googled it." Yeah, that's correct.

Thanks again

Joe Zeff

Aug 6, 2010, 3:37:27 PM8/6/10
On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 22:49:06 -0400, Richard Malchik wrote:

> Not exactly sure which respondents you're referring to, but "Lou Ravi"
> underestimates other people's skills and overestimates his own
> contributions. Further, there's rarely a valid excuse for rudeness.

I was speaking in the general case. Most people who know just enough to
be dangerous don't realize it, making them even more of a danger than
they'd otherwise be.

--
Joe Zeff -- The Guy With The Sideburns:
http://www.zeff.us http://www.lasfs.info

A Jewish friend once, as he termed it, "summarised" Jewish holidays
to me: "They tried to kill us. We won. Let's eat."

Janine

Aug 6, 2010, 5:17:50 PM8/6/10
On 06 Aug 2010 02:07:44 GMT, Joe Zeff
<the.guy.with....@lasfs.info> wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 23:27:05 +0200, Lou Ravi wrote:
>
>> If you don't know what you are talking about then the best thing to do
>> is shut up.
>
>The only problem with that is that it assumes that the person you're
>talking to realizes how little they know.

Not exactly sure which respondents you're referring to, but "Lou Ravi"

underestimates other people's skills and overestimates his own
contributions. Further, there's rarely a valid excuse for rudeness.

The only valid constructive criticism resulted in "I should have

Lawrence Logic

Aug 7, 2010, 12:14:35 AM8/7/10

"Joe Zeff" <the.guy.with....@lasfs.info> wrote in message

> I was speaking in the general case. Most people who know just enough to
> be dangerous don't realize it, making them even more of a danger than
> they'd otherwise be.

That reminds me of a chap I used to work with many years ago. There wasn't
much happening so he decided to clear out some files from the work computer
that he'd "inherited". He discovered a couple of strange hidden files in
the root of C: and, after several attempts, managed to delete them. When he
rebooted, the computer wouldn't play ball. He'd deleted msdos.sys and
io.sys!

I won't divulge Warren Cox's name because that would be indiscrete...

--
Lawrence
"In the outside world I am a simple geologist, but in here I am Falcor,

Sjouke Burry

Aug 7, 2010, 12:17:35 PM8/7/10
Lawrence Logic wrote:
> "Joe Zeff" <the.guy.with....@lasfs.info> wrote in message
>> I was speaking in the general case. Most people who know just enough to
>> be dangerous don't realize it, making them even more of a danger than
>> they'd otherwise be.
>>

> That reminds me of a chap I used to work with many years ago. There wasn't
> much happening so he decided to clear out some files from the work computer
> that he'd "inherited". He discovered a couple of strange hidden files in
> the root of C: and, after several attempts, managed to delete them. When he
> rebooted, the computer wouldn't play ball. He'd deleted msdos.sys and
> io.sys!
>
> I won't divulge Warren Cox's name because that would be indiscrete...

After the tenth time a co-worker asked me how to close wordperfect,
I told him to use crtl-alt-del.
After he did that, he never asked that again....

Richard Malchik

Aug 8, 2010, 2:33:02 PM8/8/10
On 06 Aug 2010 19:37:27 GMT, Joe Zeff
<the.guy.with....@lasfs.info> wrote:

>On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 22:49:06 -0400, Richard Malchik wrote:
>
>> Not exactly sure which respondents you're referring to, but "Lou Ravi"
>> underestimates other people's skills and overestimates his own
>> contributions. Further, there's rarely a valid excuse for rudeness.
>
>I was speaking in the general case. Most people who know just enough to
>be dangerous don't realize it, making them even more of a danger than
>they'd otherwise be.

You don't need to tell me about "just enough knowledge to be
dangerous." I have an M.S. in statistics, with two years of additional
doctoral classes in the last thirty years since graduation. Almost
everyone in business, social science, and technical fields has one or
more stat classes under their belts. Not many of these people do a
study from beginning to end as a university trained statistician
would.

Not surprisingly, I'm an advocate for licensing statisticians similar
to law, accountancy, nursing, so on.

jear...@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2015, 1:29:28 AM6/7/15
On Monday, August 2, 2010 at 10:24:15 AM UTC-7, Lou Ravi wrote:
> Janine wrote:
> > I was using firefox typing a message and noticed my taskbar moved to
> > the top of my desktop. I tried moving it back making sure it is not
> > locked, but it is stuck there. I can pull it longer, hide it under
> > apps, make it on top of apps, so on. I just can't move it to the sides
> > or back to the bottom.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks guys, J9
>
> Right click on an empty part of the bar, hold the button down and move the
> bar (arrow) to the bottom, you won't see anything happen until you get
> there.

Lou Ravi's answer is it!!! "you won't see anything happen until you get to the bottom"
> there.

jaredh...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2015, 11:17:51 AM9/25/15
Lou - you're obviously a moron and incompetent if you "mend computers everyday, dear" and are not willing to consider that there may be a problem you have not yet encountered. I am experiencing the same issue and I have the ability to right click on the taskbar and drag it down to the bottom and click lock. I would be thrilled if that worked...but it doesn't. To conclude, you are a moron.

Shadow

Sep 27, 2015, 8:00:20 PM9/27/15
On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 08:17:50 -0700 (PDT), jaredh...@gmail.com
wrote:

>On Wednesday, August 4, 2010 at 6:22:32 PM UTC-4, Lou Ravi wrote:
>> Sorry to be so hard but not only do I not suffer fools gladly, I do not
>> suffer them at all.
>
>Lou - you're obviously a moron and incompetent if you "mend computers everyday, dear" and are not willing to consider that there may be a problem you have not yet encountered. I am experiencing the same issue and I have the ability to right click on the taskbar and drag it down to the bottom and click lock. I would be thrilled if that worked...but it doesn't. To conclude, you are a moron.

I'm not sure who the moron is here, the guy who posted 5 years
ago or the guy that STILL does not know that you need to hold down the
SHIFT key when you drag the taskbar around with your mouse. You can
put it anywhere you want, unless you are sitting, in which case the
alternatives are up, down, left and right. Whatever.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Nil

Oct 24, 2015, 6:08:35 PM10/24/15
On 25 Sep 2015, jaredh...@gmail.com wrote in
alt.comp.os.windows-xp:

>> On Wednesday, August 4, 2010 at 6:22:32 PM UTC-4, Lou Ravi wrote:
>> Sorry to be so hard but not only do I not suffer fools gladly, I
>> do not suffer them at all.

> To conclude, you are a moron.

Only morons rant at 5-year-old dead posts.