Can a AM3 cpu work in a AM2 socket ( Asus M2A-VM ) ?

TE Cheah

Jul 10, 2010, 7:18:32 AM7/10/10

Ed Light

Jul 11, 2010, 5:09:25 PM7/11/10
No, just AM2+ sockets, with recent enough BIOS.

--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at
sp...@uce.gov
Thanks, robots.

TE Cheah

Jul 13, 2010, 1:53:56 PM7/13/10
> No, just AM2+ sockets, with recent enough BIOS.

M2A-VM's web page says AM3 cpu can work, newest bios
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?model=M2A-VM&os=17&SLanguage=en-us
can recognise AM3 cpu. Can Asus be wrong ?

Ed Light

Jul 13, 2010, 4:33:47 PM7/13/10
That is most unusual. It is a BETA bios, so not completely tested.

However they list some AM3 cpu's in their cpu support list as working
with that bios:

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Ed Light

Jul 13, 2010, 7:51:31 PM7/13/10
Surprise! I checked on a motherboard I used to build 2 people personal
computers, and that AM2 can also take some AM3 cpu's. Maybe this is more
common than I thought, although I don't think it's very well-known.

That one is the Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2 with the geforce 6100 chipset.

This makes me happy that they won't need a new motherboard when they
upgrade from their Sempron cpu's.

Ed Light

Jul 13, 2010, 7:58:26 PM7/13/10
On 7/13/2010 4:51 PM, Ed Light wrote:
> Surprise! I checked on a motherboard I used to build 2 people personal
> computers, and that AM2 can also take some AM3 cpu's. Maybe this is more
> common than I thought, although I don't think it's very well-known.
>
> That one is the Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2 with the geforce 6100 chipset.
>
> This makes me happy that they won't need a new motherboard when they
> upgrade from their Sempron cpu's.

Oops. No, for bios version it lists N/A. It can take a few Phenom AM2+.

Forget that.

TE Cheah

Jul 15, 2010, 10:08:59 AM7/15/10
> I used to build 2 people personal computers

Do you run a pc shop ? I can't find a shop in USA willing to
mail ( sea / air ) a blu-ray rom to msia, all shops want me
to pay for courier.

Ed Light

Jul 15, 2010, 2:26:20 PM7/15/10

Sorry, no. It was just for 2 people!