Latest update to Adobe Flash automatically installs Google Toolbar and Chrome

PDFrank

Aug 22, 2012, 6:47:14 PM8/22/12
whether you ask for it or not.

p-0.0-h the cat

Aug 22, 2012, 7:09:11 PM8/22/12
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:47:14 -0400, PDFrank <pdf...@some.com> wrote:

>whether you ask for it or not.

Bastards! It didn't for me. Who should I complain to? I'll have their
bleeding heads for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
p-0.0-h the cat
Certifiable criminal

VanguardLH

Aug 22, 2012, 7:24:31 PM8/22/12
"PDFrank" wrote:

> whether you ask for it or not.

I went to http://www.adobe.com and clicked on the Adobe Flash Player
link at the bottom right of their web page. That took me to:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=BUIGP

So you can't see the checkbox to DESELECT the default to include Google
Chrome? It's not "you ask for it or not". It's "you ask for it not".

After the update, there was nothing of Google on my host.

Alias

Aug 22, 2012, 7:25:21 PM8/22/12
On 8/23/2012 12:47 AM, PDFrank wrote:
> whether you ask for it or not.

False, it gives you the option to install it and will install it unless
you untick the option.

--
Alias

David H. Lipman

Aug 22, 2012, 7:37:03 PM8/22/12
From: "PDFrank" <pdf...@some.com>

> whether you ask for it or not.

I updated two platforms. NONE got Google crapware.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Craig

Aug 22, 2012, 8:56:53 PM8/22/12
On 8/22/2012 3:47 PM, PDFrank wrote:
> whether you ask for it or not.

Hi Frank;

A few months back (on the windows boxen), I remember Flash updating its
installer and, at some point, providing an opt-out something. Thought
it was an AV but can't be sure. Since then, I've had a couple of newer
updates w/o any "deals," opt-out or otherwise.

On Linux, I've never seen it.

fwiw,

--
-Craig

Good Guy

Aug 22, 2012, 9:08:40 PM8/22/12
On 22/08/2012 23:47, PDFrank wrote:
> whether you ask for it or not.

If you were using IE9 then the screen looks like this:

<http://tinyurl.com/9uhz8rs>

If you were using FF 14.0.1 then the screen looks like this:

<http://tinyurl.com/9gjbxvj>

So this just tells you that you have to be careful when you download
anything irrespective of whose website it is. They are all the same
trying to con anybody who trusts them.

Good luck.

--
Good Guy
Website: http://mytaxsite.co.uk

Gene Wirchenko

Aug 23, 2012, 12:12:42 AM8/23/12
On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 02:08:40 +0100, Good Guy <hello...@example.com>
wrote:

[snip]

>So this just tells you that you have to be careful when you download
>anything irrespective of whose website it is. They are all the same
>trying to con anybody who trusts them.

Agreed.

I can not remember if it is Flash or something else, but one
program's installer asks me every time whether I want to allow updates
automatically (checked), ask me, or never check. It has the check on
automatic every time. I have always selected to be asked. It would
be nice if that got picked up as the default the next time.

>Good luck.

It is?

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Dr.Benjamin Spock

Aug 23, 2012, 2:49:21 AM8/23/12
PDFrank;
Would you please untick the Gang of Three, Ron May,BearPair and
John Corliss and make them go away? I never asked to download them.

Dr.Benjamin Spock

Aug 23, 2012, 2:49:52 AM8/23/12

SC Tom

Aug 23, 2012, 7:31:53 AM8/23/12

"Gene Wirchenko" <ge...@ocis.net> wrote in message
Flash is one of them, Java is another that auto-checks the auto-update box.
Almost every freebie app and utility wants to install some toolbar or other
crap along with its product, it seems. Even the anti-malware products do it
now. A person really has to be careful installing anything. That's true
since way back when, but even more so now, even with legitimate companies.
--
SC Tom

Dave "Crash" Dummy

Aug 23, 2012, 9:03:52 AM8/23/12
That's the price of "free" ware. They want to get paid for their work,
so they sell the add-on options.
--
Crash

"I'm told that Wagner's music is not as bad as it sounds."
~ Mark Twain ~

telsar

Aug 23, 2012, 10:06:10 AM8/23/12
On 8/22/2012 6:09 PM, p-0.0-h the cat wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:47:14 -0400, PDFrank <pdf...@some.com> wrote:
>
>> whether you ask for it or not.
>
> Bastards! It didn't for me. Who should I complain to? I'll have their
> bleeding heads for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I installed the latest Adobe Flash a few days ago, and it installed
McAfee Security Scan. There was no option to not install this. It just
installed it. I already have McAfee SecurityCenter, why would I want
the Free Security Scan product.

I wonder why there is no alternative to Adobe Flash. So many issues.

--
Steal a little and go to jail, steal a lot and become King.

intrepidt...@yahoo.com

Aug 23, 2012, 10:22:16 AM8/23/12
Ahhhh, I see how they do it.

You need to de-select on the webpage that asks if you want to install Flash. Once you get to the Installer program, it's too late.

Sheaky and underhanded.

Stephen Wolstenholme

Aug 23, 2012, 10:29:14 AM8/23/12
I just upgraded Adobe Flash to the latest version. There was no
mention of McAfee at all.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

telsar

Aug 23, 2012, 10:59:24 AM8/23/12
On 8/23/2012 9:29 AM, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 09:06:10 -0500, telsar <no...@nowhere.com> wrote:

>>> Bastards! It didn't for me. Who should I complain to? I'll have their
>>> bleeding heads for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>>

>> I installed the latest Adobe Flash a few days ago, and it installed
>> McAfee Security Scan. There was no option to not install this. It just
>> installed it. I already have McAfee SecurityCenter, why would I want
>> the Free Security Scan product.
>>
>> I wonder why there is no alternative to Adobe Flash. So many issues.
>
> I just upgraded Adobe Flash to the latest version. There was no
> mention of McAfee at all.
>
> Steve

Beats me about all this. I was on a web page the other day, and there
was something to watch...it said I needed the latest flash player to
watch it, so I agreed. Thats really all I remember about it. I had
flash configured to not update, so I assumed my version was old. Must
have been the source that got me.

Mark Warner

Aug 23, 2012, 12:06:19 PM8/23/12
telsar wrote:

> Beats me about all this. I was on a web page the other day, and there
> was something to watch...it said I needed the latest flash player to
> watch it, so I agreed. Thats really all I remember about it. I had
> flash configured to not update, so I assumed my version was old. Must
> have been the source that got me.

LOL! And people wonder how their machines get infected...

--
Mark Warner
MEPIS Linux

telsar

Aug 23, 2012, 12:40:34 PM8/23/12
On 8/23/2012 11:06 AM, Mark Warner wrote:
> telsar wrote:
>>
>> Beats me about all this. I was on a web page the other day, and there
>> was something to watch...it said I needed the latest flash player to
>> watch it, so I agreed. Thats really all I remember about it. I had
>> flash configured to not update, so I assumed my version was old. Must
>> have been the source that got me.
>
> LOL! And people wonder how their machines get infected...

It appeared legit, just as legit as every other time I installed or
updated Adobe flash. I got infected with McAfee Security Scan. I
cancelled when I saw it installing it, but when I restarted the
installer, there was no option not to.
Message has been deleted

Tommy

Aug 23, 2012, 4:58:08 PM8/23/12
"ledgerDeMain" <ma...@me.not.invalid> wrote in message
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:47:14 -0400
> in news:alt.comp.freeware
> article <k13nhg$dt9$1...@dont-email.me>
> PDFrank <pdf...@some.com>
> wrote:
>
>>whether you ask for it or not.
>
> Anyone here know what the difference is between these two files?
>
> install_flashplayer11x32_mssd_au_aih.exe
This is "automatic update file"
http://mytopfiles.com/addpad.php?id=628054

http://mytopfiles.com/programs/file/install_flashplayer11x32_mssa_aih/501859.htm

> ledgerDeMain

I did the 'googling' for you

Cheers
Tommy

Bear

Aug 23, 2012, 5:07:18 PM8/23/12
PDFrank <pdf...@some.com> wrote in news:k13nhg$dt9$1...@dont-email.me:

> whether you ask for it or not.

Hasn't Flash been like this for the last few releases?

Jax
--
Bear Bottoms
http://bearware.info

Char Jackson

Aug 23, 2012, 6:05:17 PM8/23/12
On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 22:07:18 +0100, Bear
<removebea...@gmail.com> wrote:

>PDFrank <pdf...@some.com> wrote in news:k13nhg$dt9$1...@dont-email.me:
>
>> whether you ask for it or not.
>
>Hasn't Flash been like this for the last few releases?

No.

--

Char Jackson
Message has been deleted

telsar

Aug 24, 2012, 11:45:26 AM8/24/12
On 8/24/2012 10:37 AM, ledgerDeMain wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 02:08:40 +0100
> in news:alt.comp.freeware
> article <k13vql$cdi$1...@speranza.aioe.org>
> Good Guy <hello...@example.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 22/08/2012 23:47, PDFrank wrote:
>>> whether you ask for it or not.
>>
>> If you were using IE9 then the screen looks like this:
>>
>> <http://tinyurl.com/9uhz8rs>
>>
>> If you were using FF 14.0.1 then the screen looks like this:
>>
>> <http://tinyurl.com/9gjbxvj>
>>
> This was my experience as well. However, reading through the adobe
> forums one will find those who claim to never have been directed to
> those pages or given any chance to opt out. Seems to have to do with how
> the update was initiated - auto update, manual update or following a
> link from a site that uses Flash to update the plug-in. The last being
> the one blamed for by-passing any web page with an opt out check box.
>
>> So this just tells you that you have to be careful when you download
>> anything irrespective of whose website it is. They are all the same
>> trying to con anybody who trusts them.
>>
> One should always pay attention to what is installed. Still amazes me
> how many don't.

My nephews are always installing things on this machine. Games and
whatever comes in with them. They are very sophisticated when it comes
to using a computer. The other day when they finished half the screen
was off to the side of the monitor due to some weird graphics thing they
installed..hehe

p-0.0-h the cat

Aug 24, 2012, 2:10:17 PM8/24/12
On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 08:37:45 -0700, ledgerDeMain <ma...@me.not.invalid>
wrote:

>One should always pay attention to what is installed. Still amazes me
>how many don't.

You only have to lose concentration for a second, and it's a click too
far.

Bear

Aug 24, 2012, 4:37:00 PM8/24/12
Char Jackson <no...@none.invalid> wrote in
I must look more carefully next time! :)

Tommy

Aug 24, 2012, 6:37:55 PM8/24/12
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 21:58:08 +0100
> in news:alt.comp.freeware
> article <a9njr4...@mid.individual.net>
> "Tommy" <tommyle...@geemale.com>
> wrote:
>
>>"ledgerDeMain" <ma...@me.not.invalid> wrote in message
> [snip]
>>>
>>> Anyone here know what the difference is between these two files?
>>>
>>> install_flashplayer11x32_mssd_au_aih.exe
>
>>This is "automatic update file"
>
> I suspected as much but thought someone here might be able to confirm.
>
>>http://mytopfiles.com/addpad.php?id=628054
>>
> Could you direct me to where on the above page this info is? Can't seem
> to find it.

Where to find which piece of info ? mssd-au- the au is automatic update

http://mytopfiles.com/addpad.php?id=628054
gives the following inf on its web-page - if that is what you seek :)
***You can add description for a program/file located on MyTopFiles using
PAD format (Portable Application Description).

More about PAD you can find here: http://www.asp-shareware.org/pad/
Format specification: http://www.padspec.org/spec.php

To be correctly added a PAD-file must contain:

a.. Link to the file which is the same as the link on MyTopFiles;
b.. File/program name;
c.. File/program version;
d.. File/program description (2000, 450 or 250 characters);
e.. Link to the file/program site.***

http://mytopfiles.com/addpad.php?id=628054

Phil K

Aug 29, 2012, 2:18:50 PM8/29/12
On 23/08/2012 00:09, p-0.0-h the cat wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:47:14 -0400, PDFrank<pdf...@some.com> wrote:
>
>> whether you ask for it or not.
>
> Bastards! It didn't for me. Who should I complain to? I'll have their
> bleeding heads for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's scared of you, thats why.

jasem...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2012, 4:35:50 AM8/30/12
On Wednesday, August 22, 2012 11:47:14 PM UTC+1, PDFrank wrote:
> whether you ask for it or not.

There are lots of people that are very angry about this.

I went into control panel and changed the Flash Player settings so that it never warns me about about updates. The fact that it says (Not recommended) next to the option makes me even more angry. I absolutely loathe Google Toolbar and Google Chrome and I do not want them being installed on my computer - particularly with all the spying Google are now doing. Google used to be a great company while it was the underdog, but now it is the enemy. I discovered that I had to also opt-out of Google's feature that records all of your browsing history. It's VERY sneaky, and I can't trust Adobe or Google anymore.

It seems that lots of companies are doing this sort of thing - They need to wake up and realise they are just REALLY pissing people off.

Stephen Wolstenholme

Aug 30, 2012, 5:38:37 AM8/30/12
Why are you using a gmail address when you hate Google so much?

I have nothing to hide from Google. In fact any free advertizing is
very welcome.

hughe...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2013, 8:03:36 PM8/16/13
On Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:47:14 PM UTC-4, PDFrank wrote:
> whether you ask for it or not.

We are a graphics design company with 41 artists. We were informed by Adobe to download the latest Flash for security purposes. Virtually everyone in the group did so - and without asking or even informing, it downloaded Chrome onto all of our computers. This altered all of the links, history, favorites for each employee. It messes up links and when trying to uninstall Chrome, it caused un-linking to occur - causing virtually an afternoon of grief.

We had (past tense) in our third quarter budget to purchase 17 new licenses for Adobe. Everyone now has Creative Suite. I have ordered a cancellation of this plan, and we have a memo out to the employees not to ever upgrade an Adobe product again - given the sneaky, unprofessional behavior they exhibit. Shame on you Adobe. Are you that desperate? Shame.. Shame. It will cost you the goodwill of many customers. Certainly our company is (while small) one of what I suspect will be many.

FromTheRafters

Aug 16, 2013, 8:15:43 PM8/16/13
IAWTP

Security related updates should *not* be a sales vehicle.

Mark Warner

Aug 16, 2013, 10:10:25 PM8/16/13
Adobe is no better than Microsoft in that they think they own your
computer once you've installed their software.

So what are you gonna do when your versions of CS get old and tired and
your artists are clamoring for the latest and greatest? The artists at
my workplace start wailing and moaning at the mere mention of Gimp...

--
Mark Warner
...lose .inhibitions when replying

Bear Bottoms

Aug 16, 2013, 10:17:47 PM8/16/13
On Friday, August 16, 2013 9:10:25 PM UTC-5, Mark Warner wrote:

> Adobe is no better than Microsoft in that they think they own your
> computer once you've installed their software....snip

Good grief Mark...just shut up. SHUT UP!!!

Your brain is about the size of a Brontosaurus. I do not have any Adobe products installed...or Java etc.

Java and Adobe have long been known to be huge security risks and anyone still using them are just plain stupid...or at best ignorant which is not so in your case.

Mark Warner

Aug 16, 2013, 10:33:06 PM8/16/13
You're off your meds already Bill??? Jeez, man, it's only the 16th of
the month!

telsar

Aug 17, 2013, 1:46:54 AM8/17/13
Seems like an incredibly old issue from like a year ago and GG is
involved. My last few updates didn't install anything extra on my
system. I looked at the full msg with all the headers and became
confused about this msg untill I saw GG.

I do remember some whining about flash updates from odd sources a year
or so ago, but I think then I saw Mcafee scanner being installed if one
did not decline it.

John Corliss

Aug 17, 2013, 5:36:53 AM8/17/13
ledgerDeMain wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:47:14 -0400
> in news:alt.comp.freeware
> article <k13nhg$dt9$1...@dont-email.me>
> PDFrank <pdf...@some.com>
> wrote:
>
>> whether you ask for it or not.

Didn't happen to me. The day before yesterday, I installed Flash and
Shockwave on another computer I own. I deselected the option to install
bundleware and nothing else was added.

> Anyone here know what the difference is between these two files?
>
> install_flashplayer11x32_mssd_au_aih.exe
> install_flashplayer11x32_mssa_aih.exe
>
> The first was what I received after following a flash update dialog, the
> second was retrieved from the adobe.com site.

I would guess that the "au" in the first file name refers to "automatic
update". You could always generate MD5s for both files and see if
there's any difference.

--
John Corliss BS206. No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, share,
spy, time-limited, trial or web wares, OR warez for me, please: just

Darryl Homo Forests

Aug 17, 2013, 12:46:58 PM8/17/13
On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 17:03:36 -0700 (PDT), hughe...@gmail.com wrote:

> We are a graphics design company with 41 artists.

But do you cornhole?
--
https://twitter.com/eveshirammac
http://forum.mind-energy.net/members/eveshi.html

FromTheRafters

Aug 18, 2013, 6:47:14 AM8/18/13
You do understand of course that a Brontosaurus is *huge* don't you? Someone with a brain that large would certainly stand out in a crowd.