HDDB File Search

bobad

Sep 20, 2014, 10:51:17 AM9/20/14

HDDB (Hard drive database) works exactly like Everything.

Everything has been a top 5 favorite software of mine for years, and I
never thought I would kick it to the curb. Well, I did.

HDDB is more polished and flexible. Changing configuration and options
are easier and more intuitive, and has a nice tool bar icon.

Like Everything, it uses a small index file. It compiles the index at
warp speed, and recompiles it often or seldom according to your
preferences.

Went through the Beta period, and the Dev worked out ALL the bugs,
it's smooth as butter.

Try it, you'll like it.

Here's the portable version:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/System/File-management/Portable-Hddb.shtml

-

Bob

Phil Anthropist

Sep 21, 2014, 1:36:21 AM9/21/14
In article <fc4r1ad48tqm6d6h2...@4ax.com>, m...@pit.com
says...
Tried it, liked it, thank you!

--
This post is best viewed with the computer switched on.

John Corliss

Sep 21, 2014, 4:54:51 AM9/21/14
Personally, I've never understood the need for file indexing and have
disabled it on my computer. However, I run XP. I've used Vista and
Windows 7, noted that if a person doesn't allow indexing then simple
file searches *suck* in Windows Explorer.

I only very rarely have a need to find a file based on it's contents,
probably only once a year or less. When that occasion arises, I still
use Windows Explorer Search and it works without indexing.

In my opinion, file indexing is done in order to facilitate easier
searching of our hard drives by various government agencies who do this
via rootkit technologies in the background.

Fuck file indexing.

--
John Corliss BS206. No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, share,
spy, time-limited, trial or web wares. No warez for me either please:

wasbit

Sep 21, 2014, 6:10:47 AM9/21/14
"bobad" <m...@pit.com> wrote in message
Home page
- http://hddb.xp-zed.com/

Info -
http://hddb.xp-zed.com/getstarted/index.html

There are installable & portable versions on the download page
- http://hddb.xp-zed.com/download.html

Regards
wasbit

p-0''0-h the cat (ES)

Sep 21, 2014, 10:55:44 AM9/21/14
Windows search works brilliantly. I use it all the time.

--
p-0.0-h the cat

the SCOURGE, l33t p00h d3 tr0ll, p00h == lam3r, p00h == tr0ll, troll
inf�me, the OVERCAT [The BEARPAIR are dead, and we are its
murderers], lowlife troll, shyster [pending approval by STATE_TERROR],
cripple, sociopath, kook, smug prick, smartarse, arsehole, moron, idiot,
imbecile, snittish scumbag, liar, total ******* retard, and shill.

By Appointment to God Frank-Lin.

Signature integrity check
md5 Checksum: be0b2a8c486d83ce7db9a459b26c4896

Mat...@noone_nowhere.com

Sep 21, 2014, 12:03:32 PM9/21/14

>it's smooth as butter.
>
>Try it, you'll like it.
>
>Here's the portable version:
>
>http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/System/File-management/Portable-Hddb.shtml
>
>-
>
>Bob

Thanks for the tip. I couldn't believe how quickly it works.

Flasherly

Sep 21, 2014, 12:39:22 PM9/21/14
On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 01:54:51 -0700, John Corliss <q34w...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Personally, I've never understood the need for file indexing and have
>disabled it on my computer. However, I run XP. I've used Vista and
>Windows 7, noted that if a person doesn't allow indexing then simple
>file searches *suck* in Windows Explorer.
>
>I only very rarely have a need to find a file based on it's contents,
>probably only once a year or less. When that occasion arises, I still
>use Windows Explorer Search and it works without indexing.
>
>In my opinion, file indexing is done in order to facilitate easier
>searching of our hard drives by various government agencies who do this
>via rootkit technologies in the background.
>
>Fuck file indexing.

It all started with Database technology, not NSA Codenamed: WhizKid
Tax/Budget OverSight Under the Obama Carpet Proposal 32X.01.

Ma Bell - prefiber and Plain Old Telephony Copper Wires. Accountable
to State and Federal Regulatory Utility Commissions.

Before Industrial/Governmental Agencies acting as FreeAgents for
dominating communications and all aspects of its control as presently
exercised.

TELCO's indices, actually, for huge regions linked to automated voice
retrieval systems. (Downside, of course, is "outhouse," freeware
indices are not dynamically engaged & don't reflect changes consequent
to their creation. Usually.)

In fact: I dare you to look at amassed categories of programs, books
and arts, I've indexed, (albeit and old-school database*), without
turning immobilized into frozen stone -- encapsulated incomprehensibly
before the mountainous stretch of shrouded mists.

*Shareware Version Discontinued. Now Freeware!
IYF - X ! 4.0 (Alfa08) to (Alpha16)
* Fix - Search more Fast (1000%)
* Fix - Select with Keyboard and Mouse
* Fix - Operator Boolean (Seach Files)
* Fix - Display Tiff
* Fix - Change Font Arial with Ms Sans Serif

Prahalada Maharaja Devout to Overcat Narasimhadeva

Sep 21, 2014, 1:14:38 PM9/21/14
I use Agent Ransack, free. I have for many years, and I like it a great deal:
<<http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack>>

Agent Ransack - Free File Searching Utility

Finding files that other search engines miss.

Agent Ransack is a free software program for finding files on your PC or network drives. It is a 'lite' version of FileLocator Pro and is a free for both personal and commercial use.

Agent Ransack 2014

First released in April 2000 the Agent Ransack desktop app has been helping people find files for over 14 Years.

Here are just some of the powerful features available:

Immediate results Found text is shown with highlighted keywords so you don't need to waste time opening each file looking for the right information.

Boolean expressions Combine search terms using the familiar Boolean operators AND, OR, NOT.

Office formats Support for popular Office formats including Office 2010 and OpenOffice.

Perl regex Support for Perl compatible regular expressions.

64-bit Version Natively compiled 64-bit version for improved compatibility.

Fast searching Highly efficient search algorithms mean that you spend less time waiting for results.

Printing and Exporting Results can be shared with others through reports, printing and exporting.

Corporate Version For corporate environments we have a more 'gentle' branding of Agent Ransack called FileLocator Lite. It's still free but just has a different name. See the FileLocator Lite page for more information.

Restricted Version A 'locked down' version of Agent Ransack is available for environments where the end-user is not allowed to search their local PC. Please contact Sales for more information.

Nil

Sep 21, 2014, 1:29:23 PM9/21/14
On 20 Sep 2014, bobad <m...@pit.com> wrote in alt.comp.freeware:

> HDDB (Hard drive database) works exactly like Everything.

Unless I'm missing something, it appears that it does NOT work exactly
like Everything in at least one important aspect: it does not
automatically update its database. You have to do it manually. If
that's true, it wouldn't be very useful to me.

It doesn't look any more "polished" than Everything to me.

Dex

Sep 21, 2014, 2:25:28 PM9/21/14
On 21/09/2014 18:29, Nil wrote:
> On 20 Sep 2014, bobad <m...@pit.com> wrote in alt.comp.freeware:
>
>> HDDB (Hard drive database) works exactly like Everything.
>
> Unless I'm missing something, it appears that it does NOT work exactly
> like Everything in at least one important aspect: it does not
> automatically update its database. You have to do it manually. If
> that's true, it wouldn't be very useful to me.

View > options > Database and check Build on startup.

Nil

Sep 21, 2014, 2:38:13 PM9/21/14
On 21 Sep 2014, Dex <D...@me.com> wrote in alt.comp.freeware:

> On 21/09/2014 18:29, Nil wrote:
>> On 20 Sep 2014, bobad <m...@pit.com> wrote in alt.comp.freeware:
>>
>>> HDDB (Hard drive database) works exactly like Everything.
>>
>> Unless I'm missing something, it appears that it does NOT work
>> exactly like Everything in at least one important aspect: it does
>> not automatically update its database. You have to do it
>> manually. If that's true, it wouldn't be very useful to me.
>
> View > options > Database and check Build on startup.

But it still won't update the database while it's running, which
Everything does. And Everything can be installed as a system service.
Can HDDB?

Dex

Sep 21, 2014, 3:55:07 PM9/21/14
It will.

Again, select the database tab and check Build every * minute/hours/days.

> And Everything can be installed as a system service.
> Can HDDB?

As I'm using the portable version no, but if you install it..? But I can
see you'll never be satisfied, stick with Everything.

Nil

Sep 21, 2014, 11:37:29 PM9/21/14
On 21 Sep 2014, Dex <D...@me.com> wrote in alt.comp.freeware:

> On 21/09/2014 19:38, Nil wrote:
>>> View > options > Database and check Build on startup.
>>
>> But it still won't update the database while it's running, which
>> Everything does.
>
> It will.
>
> Again, select the database tab and check Build every *
> minute/hours/days.

Everything updates the database in real time, not periodically.

>> And Everything can be installed as a system service.
>> Can HDDB?
>
> As I'm using the portable version no, but if you install it..? But
> I can see you'll never be satisfied, stick with Everything.

You are seeing what you choose to see, not what is.

I'm just wondering what HDDB might do for me that Everything doesn't.
Sounds like it does no more, and what it does do it does slightly less
efficiently.

bobad

Sep 22, 2014, 12:47:45 PM9/22/14
On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 23:37:29 -0400, Nil
<redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:

>I'm just wondering what HDDB might do for me that Everything doesn't.
>Sounds like it does no more, and what it does do it does slightly less
>efficiently.

Everything is great, I still love it.

However, it has issues that made me jump to HDDB:

1. You have to drill down in the menus to make everything reindex the
database. HDDB is just a click or keystroke away, and reindexes in
about 1 second... if you should ever need to.

2. The drop down filter combo box in Everything has a focus
peculiarity. You have to be careful scrolling your mouse wheel or the
filter will accidentally advance down the list, causing confusion.

3. The filter does not automatically revert to "Everything", which can
cause too many "Duh!" moments. HDDB's always reverts to "All files and
folders".

4. The @filters in HDDB are very cool, and easy to create and edit.
This makes HDDB easier to use for wrangling temp files and other trash
files you frequently need to move or delete.

5. HDDB sorts the size and date columns at lighting speed. I can sort
300,000 files in under 1 second. Everything sorts so slowly you can
go get a cup of coffee before it finishes.

Frankly, it makes Everything look dated.

No harm in trying it. It has no install, leaves no junk files behind,
and if you don't like it, simply delete it.

-

Bob

Flasherly

Sep 22, 2014, 5:14:16 PM9/22/14
On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 11:47:45 -0500, bobad <m...@pit.com> wrote:

>>I'm just wondering what HDDB might do for me that Everything doesn't.
>>Sounds like it does no more, and what it does do it does slightly less
>>efficiently.
>
>Everything is great, I still love it.

Another one - apparently fully functional. I've an older version,
whatever portable means -- a lot of older programs run fine without
Windows. Shame, really, so many go off like some idiot and store
their settings into the registry or for a part of C drive.

I never, of course, install anything on C, to the point I'll avoid
whenever possible a program that really wants to do ream-job all over
C.

Anyway, I use 4 or 5 indices, selectable/refined/categorical, in case
the search is too generic and needs be narrowed for too many results
otherwise. Probably using that search inside files feature ... I'd
have to doublecheck how I initially setup my indices' definations.

http://www.indexyourfiles.com/index.html

Search Files for Windows with Advanced Features using Index Files

Is Portable
Support Unicode
Search Inside Files
Is easy to use with a standard windows GUI
Compacts the indexes
Create indexes for Only the directories you select
Internal display for found files
Is compact and runs from a Single file

Find files on your own computer or network with great speed and
simplicity

Shadow

Sep 22, 2014, 5:36:58 PM9/22/14
On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 17:14:16 -0400, Flasherly <Flas...@live.com>
wrote:

>http://www.indexyourfiles.com/index.html
>
>Search Files for Windows with Advanced Features using Index Files
>
>Is Portable
>Support Unicode
>Search Inside Files
>Is easy to use with a standard windows GUI
>Compacts the indexes
>Create indexes for Only the directories you select
>Internal display for found files
>Is compact and runs from a Single file
>
>Find files on your own computer or network with great speed and
>simplicity

+1
It's what I use too.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Flasherly

Sep 22, 2014, 9:18:48 PM9/22/14
On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 18:36:58 -0300, Shadow <S...@dow.br> wrote:

>+1
> It's what I use too.
> []'s

Well, how about that. Thought it was pretty well unknown and buried
among newer offerings.

Shadow

Sep 23, 2014, 10:32:18 AM9/23/14
On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 21:18:48 -0400, Flasherly <Flas...@live.com>
wrote:
It does the job efficiently. And although it does keep a
database, not many datamining trojans would look for it. It's not
popular enough.

Flasherly

Sep 23, 2014, 11:02:42 AM9/23/14
On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 11:32:18 -0300, Shadow <S...@dow.br> wrote:

>It does the job efficiently. And although it does keep a
>database, not many datamining trojans would look for it. It's not
>popular enough.

I tend to operate from closed and insular principles and a select
cadre of reviewed programs, withstanding whatever I have actually
accomplished by "hardening the OS." I've historically ignored MS
updates and do not operate with an active AV. A myopic universe,
perhaps, but to fearfully operate a computer is an overrated
perception in my book, where dark lords of a ludicrously profitable AV
industry run all but rampant.

Bill Day

Sep 23, 2014, 11:03:39 AM9/23/14
On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 21:18:48 -0400, Flasherly <Flas...@live.com>
wrote:

Naawwww... I got IYF from a suggestion here, and have recommended it
several times over the years. I find things I wasn't even look for
with it... often stuff I need to delete.
--
remove nonsense for reply

Flasherly

Sep 23, 2014, 2:55:21 PM9/23/14
On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 11:03:39 -0400, Bill Day
<extreeN...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Naawwww... I got IYF from a suggestion here,

Probably a better than good chance of that, as well here. I regularly
used to use Google for searching alt.freeware - as good if not for a
better chance than a regular web search interface for positives for
when freeware-sourcing programs and alternatives. But, you know how
that goes - Google is all over everything now, and intrusive as hell
about attempting anything other than cursory level searches (which is
about all I use them, they're worth a good damn for these days --
whilst not, of course, fighting to break the circles among TOR
NSA/Interception Nodes to its default search engine).

Flasherly

Sep 23, 2014, 3:13:34 PM9/23/14
On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 14:55:21 -0400, Flasherly <Flas...@live.com>
wrote:

>NSA/Interception Nodes

C3 NATO Agency
Greek Research & Technology S.A.
LeaseWeb B.V. Level3
WEDOS CZ
. . .
&, of course
East Germany (they so want to be a part of me)

Presumably, the country infrastructure is still divided between East
and West in an "US & THEM" scheme.