Is the Quicktime format dead?

Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B)

Nov 4, 2009, 4:09:13 AM11/4/09

It seems that everyone is using Flash video now.... :)

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.31-14-generic

John Corliss

Nov 4, 2009, 5:49:19 AM11/4/09

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuickTime#QuickTime_and_MPEG-4

--
John Corliss BS206. I block all Google Groups posts (because of
Googlespam) and all x-privat.org posts (because of the forgery flood

Bjorn S.

Nov 4, 2009, 9:34:09 AM11/4/09
Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B) wrote in
<hcrgbr$630$4...@news.eternal-september.org>:

>It seems that everyone is using Flash video now.... :)

If not everyone, then many...:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_format
"[...] The format has quickly established itself as the
format of choice for embedded video on the web. Notable
users of the Flash Video format include YouTube, Google
Video, Yahoo! Video, metacafe, Reuters.com, and many other
news providers. The standards documentation for BBC Online
deprecates the use of other formats previously in use on its
sites[3] such as RealVideo or WMV.

Though the Flash Video container format itself is open, the
codecs used with it are patented. Flash Video FLV files
usually contain material encoded with codecs following the
Sorenson Spark or VP6 compression formats. The most recent
public releases of Flash Player also support H.264 video and
HE-AAC audio.

Flash Video is viewable on most operating systems, via the
widely available Adobe Flash Player and web browser plugin,
or one of several third-party programs.[...]"

--
All the best,
Bjorn S.

ebony

Nov 4, 2009, 10:02:44 AM11/4/09
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 02:49:19 -0800, John Corliss wrote:

> Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B) wrote:
>>
>> It seems that everyone is using Flash video now.... :)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuickTime#QuickTime_and_MPEG-4

Greeting. Peace to you. Your link is WebOfTrust safe.

Do not execute a web_link from Nigeria.

Corruption abides at every level in positions of trust. The proper limit of
trust is prudence.

--
Reply online. Surface mail suspended during extended strike.

Fuzzy Logic

Nov 4, 2009, 4:52:52 PM11/4/09
"Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B)" <toylet...@gmail.com> wrote in news:hcrgbr$630$4
@news.eternal-september.org:

> It seems that everyone is using Flash video now.... :)

I recently got a new computer and decided not to install QuickTime, Java or Shockwave. To date (it's been over
3 months) I have only had issues with one site that wanted Java but has an alternate view that doesn't require
Java. I can't say I've missed any of them and there is a lot less updating required for security patches.

Richard Steinfeld

Nov 4, 2009, 11:38:59 PM11/4/09
My feeling is that QuickTime deserves to die. I allow that I have
a special grudge against this program, as well as against Apple
for unleashing it like a vengeance into the Microsoft world.

When I installed it a long time ago on my PC, I found it to be as
destructive and invasive to my computer as was Real Player. In
order to get the damned thing off my machine, I had to re-format
my hard disk. Nothing is worth having to go through that. I'll
live without the content.

There.

Richard

Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B)

Nov 5, 2009, 2:09:02 AM11/5/09
> When I installed it a long time ago on my PC, I found it to be as
> destructive and invasive to my computer as was Real Player. In order to
> get the damned thing off my machine, I had to re-format my hard disk.
> Nothing is worth having to go through that. I'll live without the content.

I agree with you on this!

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.31-14-generic

^ ^ 15:08:01 up 5 days 20:49 2 users load average: 1.02 1.08 1.11

Franklin

Nov 5, 2009, 2:19:01 AM11/5/09
Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B) wrote:

> It seems that everyone is using Flash video now.... :)

Surveys show Flash is the most common vid codec installed in browsers.
Probably because it's easier to stream than QT.

However MP4 is based on QT and it's definitely alive on portables.

http://www.mp4ra.org/specs.html

John Corliss

Nov 5, 2009, 5:36:36 AM11/5/09
Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B) wrote:
>> When I installed it a long time ago on my PC, I found it to be as
>> destructive and invasive to my computer as was Real Player. In order
>> to get the damned thing off my machine, I had to re-format my hard
>> disk. Nothing is worth having to go through that. I'll live without
>> the content.
>
> I agree with you on this!

+1

It will be a good day when we can all do without Quicktime (any version)
and Realtime player.

Frankly, I'm thinking of removing Realtime player from my machine
anyway. I don't think it serves a purpose anymore.

John Corliss

Nov 5, 2009, 5:47:37 AM11/5/09
Fuzzy Logic wrote:

> "Man-wai Chang to The Door wrote:
>
>> It seems that everyone is using Flash video now.... :)
>
> I recently got a new computer and decided not to install QuickTime, Java or Shockwave. To date (it's been over
> 3 months) I have only had issues with one site that wanted Java but has an alternate view that doesn't require
> Java. I can't say I've missed any of them and there is a lot less updating required for security patches.

I have a friend who uses Scottrade to manage his investments. The site
requires that you have JRE installed.

However, in my case I've seen no overwhelming need to have JRE installed
and I still believe that doing so exposes you to more security problems.

There have been a few programs written in the Java environment that I
was interested in, but in the end I decided that I could live without
them. I forget what programs they were, but OpenOffice.org uses Java:

http://download.openoffice.org/common/java.html

"Java is required for complete OpenOffice.org functionality. Java is
mainly required for the HSQLDB database engine (used by our database
product Base) and to make use of accessibility and assistive
technologies. Furthermore some wizards rely on Java technology. If you
do not require these features, then you do not need to have Java
installed for running OpenOffice.org.

So what does this imply for me? Base (the database component) relies
completely on Java technologies to run, but other programs (like Writer,
Calc and Impress) only need Java for special functionality. We do
recommend that you have a Java Runtime Environment on your system, and
therefore our default installation offering includes a JRE (which adds
about 15MB to the total download size)."

Occasionally, I install OOo to obtain some document goal, but as soon as
the task is completed, I remove OOo and JRE completely from my system
(having monitored the install.)

OOo could easily have been programmed without using JRE, but since Sun
Microsystems funds OOo development:

http://about.openoffice.org/index.html#history

it's obvious why JRE is incorporated since it's in SM's interest to have
JRE installed on as many computers as possible.

Richard Steinfeld

Nov 5, 2009, 6:14:16 AM11/5/09
John Corliss wrote:
...but OpenOffice.org uses Java

> Occasionally, I install OOo to obtain some document goal, but as soon as
> the task is completed, I remove OOo and JRE completely from my system
> (having monitored the install.)

Thanks for pointing this out, John.
I tried OO when it was early in v1. I was very impressed with it
even though it was rough around the edges. But I was concerned
about a certain klutziness, what seemed like bloat, and
occasional sluggishness. I returned to MS.

I guess that I'll remain with MS Office for the time being,
although it would be nice to find an alternative to Word,
especially something that's designed more for straight-ahead
writing and less for gee-wiz desktop publishing. FrameMaker does
that bit better anyway, but Adobe's stuff is just so damn expensive!

Richard

Richard Steinfeld

Nov 5, 2009, 6:22:21 AM11/5/09
John Corliss wrote:
> It will be a good day when we can all do without Quicktime (any version)
> and Realtime player.
>
> Frankly, I'm thinking of removing Realtime player from my machine
> anyway. I don't think it serves a purpose anymore.

Maybe this comes down to whom you want to hang out with. I used
to get pretty pissed at content providers who distributed their
stuff in Real format. Then, they all seemed to change to .mp3,
and this is agreeable. I consume a great many radio (and Internet
radio) programs. Real's business model is incredibly cynical and
abusive to the content consumer. MP3 is proprietary, but things
certainly have appeared loose in that regard.

As I understand it, Real is very easy for content providers to
use for encoding. In fact, I have a friend who records directors'
meetings for a large university with it. I recall that on that
end, it's either cheap or free. At this point in time, the only
content provider who is still using it is the Public Radio
program, "To the Best of our Knowledge," and the BBC. So, I live
without them even though BBC's works via a stand-alone player
that's not installed on my machine.

Real can die, too, for all I care.

Richard

Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B)

Nov 5, 2009, 7:22:16 AM11/5/09
> Frankly, I'm thinking of removing Realtime player from my machine
> anyway. I don't think it serves a purpose anymore.

You can. Install Real Alternative to watch rm/rmvb!

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.31-14-generic

^ ^ 20:22:01 up 6 days 2:03 2 users load average: 1.16 1.12 1.09

Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B)

Nov 5, 2009, 7:23:48 AM11/5/09
> desktop publishing. FrameMaker does that bit better anyway, but Adobe's
> stuff is just so damn expensive!

Is it because Adobe's customers are mainly Fortune 500 employees?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.31-14-generic

^ ^ 20:23:01 up 6 days 2:04 2 users load average: 1.10 1.11 1.09

Message has been deleted

Craig

Nov 5, 2009, 11:31:33 AM11/5/09
On 11/05/2009 03:14 AM, Richard Steinfeld wrote:

> I guess that I'll remain with MS Office for the time being, although it
> would be nice to find an alternative to Word, especially something
> that's designed more for straight-ahead writing and less for gee-wiz
> desktop publishing. FrameMaker does that bit better anyway, but Adobe's
> stuff is just so damn expensive!

AbiWord is supposed to be a very nice alternative. Haven't tried it
myself but it's made the pricelessware list a number of times. For
desktop publishing, btw, Scribus, does an excellent job. If you haven't
tried it recently, give it a whirl.

Recently, I've been using a pretty generic text editor (gedit). I
figure the content is king and I can decide on the format (if necessary)
later.

hth,

PROGRAM_NAME: AbiWord
VERSION: 2.6.4
RELEASE_DATE: 2008-7-14
HOMEPAGE: http://www.abisource.com/
DOWNLOAD: http://www.abisource.com/download/
WINDOWS_OS: W2000, XP, Vista
OTHER_OS: Linux
state-of-the-art usability, powerful features, and excellent
interoperability. Furthermore, it features a powerful framework for
supporting custom extensions.
REMARKS: Recommended version for Win9x is 2.4.6
COMPANY: ---
AUTHOR: AbiSource community

PROGRAM_NAME: Scribus
VERSION: 1.3.3.12
RELEASE_DATE: 2008-6-12
HOMEPAGE: http://www.scribus.net/
DOWNLOAD: http://www.scribus.net/?q=downloads
WINDOWS_OS: Win2k, XP
OTHER_OS: Linux/Unix, MacOSX, OS/2
features, such as CMYK color, separations, ICC color management and
versatile PDF creation.
REMARKS:
COMPANY: ---
AUTHOR: Scribus Team

--
-Craig

Craig

Nov 5, 2009, 11:38:00 AM11/5/09
On 11/04/2009 01:09 AM, Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B) wrote:

> It seems that everyone is using Flash video now.... :)

Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for (proprietary plug-ins).
- Ernest Hemingway, author & internet visionary

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5>

--
-Craig

Mike Easter

Nov 5, 2009, 11:54:32 AM11/5/09
Craig wrote:

> For
> desktop publishing, btw, Scribus, does an excellent job. If you
haven't
> tried it recently, give it a whirl.

I was going to say something about the 8 part Scribus Tutorial that
appeared in the first 8 editions of Full Circle magazine, but then I
realized that there are so many good scribus tutorials that people make
pages providing links to collections of them.

There are also so many that there are 'bad' tutorials as well :-)

--
Mike Easter

Craig

Nov 5, 2009, 1:18:14 PM11/5/09
On 11/05/2009 08:54 AM, Mike Easter wrote:
> Craig wrote:
>
>> For
>> desktop publishing, btw, Scribus, does an excellent job. If you
> haven't
>> tried it recently, give it a whirl.
>
> I was going to say something about the 8 part Scribus Tutorial that
> appeared in the first 8 editions of Full Circle magazine, but then I
> realized that there are so many good scribus tutorials that people make
> pages providing links to collections of them.

</leans forward in chair/>

C'mon, Mike... Just one? Please?

--
-Craig

H-Man

Nov 5, 2009, 2:09:56 PM11/5/09
On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 13:39:18 +0100, Yrrah wrote:

> John Corliss <q34w...@yahoo.com>:

>> Occasionally, I install OOo to obtain some document goal, but as soon as
>> the task is completed, I remove OOo and JRE completely from my system
>> (having monitored the install.)
>

> I use OOo Portable (no Java) occasionally and never needed the Java
> requiring components. Currently my preferred free word processor is
> Textmaker (from Softmaker's free office suite).
>
> Yrrah

With OOo portable, you can copy the JRE files to a folder in the OOo tree
and leave it for the use of OOo alone. It won't affect the rest of the
machine. This way you can have it in a dark corner on your hard drive
whenever you need it without installing anything, and still have full
functionality.

--
HK

John Corliss

Nov 5, 2009, 2:10:01 PM11/5/09
Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B) wrote:
>> Frankly, I'm thinking of removing Realtime player from my machine
>> anyway. I don't think it serves a purpose anymore.
>
> You can. Install Real Alternative to watch rm/rmvb!

Actually, that's what I was thinking of removing since I would never in
my wildest dreams have consent to installing the real, Realtime Player
on my computer.

Ron May

Nov 5, 2009, 2:11:13 PM11/5/09

> C'mon, Mike... Just one? Please? Put it up my arse!

Guys, guys, get a room!

<VVVVBG>

--
Ron M. Anonymous posters have reasons to hide their identities. I
don't. Anything posted through x-privat.org or anonymous mail2news

Mike Easter

Nov 5, 2009, 2:12:15 PM11/5/09
Craig wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> Craig wrote:

>>> Scribus, does an excellent job.

>> I was going to say something about the 8 part Scribus Tutorial that

>> appeared in the first 8 editions of Full Circle magazine, but then I
>> realized that there are so many good scribus tutorials that people make
>> pages providing links to collections of them.
>
> </leans forward in chair/>
>
> C'mon, Mike... Just one? Please?

Well, these aren't necessarily the best, but the about.com article has a
catchy title: Dozens of Scribus Tutorials - http://snipurl.com/t2s4o
but not actually dozens.

The scribus wiki mentions the 8 part series I mentioned above and gives
links to each of those magazine editions.
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Scribus_Links

Since scribus publishes a deadtree book they like to sell, I have to
assume that the other tutorials mentioned on the links page besides the
8 part series must also be pretty good, but I have only glanced at the
one by Jessica Warren.

Since I'm not a fan of video tutorials, I won't mention the whole page
the wiki does on video tutorials
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Scribus_Video_Tutorials

--
Mike Easter

Message has been deleted

Craig

Nov 5, 2009, 5:19:29 PM11/5/09
On 11/05/2009 11:12 AM, Mike Easter wrote:

> Well, these aren't necessarily the best, but the about.com article has a
> catchy title: Dozens of Scribus Tutorials - http://snipurl.com/t2s4o but
> not actually dozens.
>
> The scribus wiki mentions the 8 part series I mentioned above and gives
> links to each of those magazine editions.
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Scribus_Links

Both bookmarked, thx!

> Since I'm not a fan of video tutorials, I won't mention the whole page
> the wiki does on video tutorials
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Scribus_Video_Tutorials

Yea, I'd rather read that view...

--
-Craig

Dave

Nov 5, 2009, 5:40:32 PM11/5/09
On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 23:06:07 +0100, Yrrah wrote:

> Craig <netbu...@REMOVEgmail.com>:
>
>> PROGRAM_NAME: AbiWord
>
> Can't handle complex MS Word documents properly. OOo Writer works fine
> without Java.
> For most users SoftMaker's TextMaker will cover all their word
> processing needs and more, I guess.
> http://www.softmakeroffice.com/
>
> Yrrah

That's okay.M$ Office can't handle complex Word documents properly either.
(OpenXML)
<<<G>>>

Dave

--
Registered Linux user # 444770

Message has been deleted

Richard Steinfeld

Nov 6, 2009, 5:39:38 AM11/6/09
John Corliss wrote:
>> You can. Install Real Alternative to watch rm/rmvb!
>
> Actually, that's what I was thinking of removing since I would never in
> my wildest dreams have consent to installing the real, Realtime Player
> on my computer.

I remember that we went round and round and round about this, was
it three years ago? We couldn't figure our whether Real
Alternative was truly an alternative or was, in fact, just
another product from Real Networks!

Alternative had a number of files that were identified as Real
products, including one file that consisted of a Real Networks
logo! If it were truly an "alternative," why would it include
that file? And no alternative source was ever listed: the thing
sort of came upon the scene from the mists of outer space. Not
even a mysterious "Gabest" to identify.

Real's business model is downright disgusting. It was an attempt
to create a huge captive market to turn us over to advertisers
who would pay them to "serve" us. It almost worked, too! Their
software raped our computers, turning our machines into their own
dedicated servers with the clients being our ears and eyeballs.
The whole enterprise was brilliantly diabolic, the kind of evil
undead thing that Dick Cheney could think up.

...It was a boojum.

John Corliss

Nov 6, 2009, 7:23:24 AM11/6/09
Richard Steinfeld wrote:
> John Corliss wrote:
>>> You can. Install Real Alternative to watch rm/rmvb!
>>
>> Actually, that's what I was thinking of removing since I would never
>> in my wildest dreams have consent to installing the real, Realtime
>> Player on my computer.
>
> I remember that we went round and round and round about this, was it
> three years ago? We couldn't figure our whether Real Alternative was
> truly an alternative or was, in fact, just another product from Real
> Networks!

Sorry, my memory is failing me on this one. However, I agree about the
anonymity of the thing. According to the Wikipedia article on Real
Alternative (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Alternative):

"According to Karl Lillevold of RealNetworks, KL Software simply
re-packages RealNetworks' DLLs and distributes them without permission,
thus violating RealNetworks' copyright and EULA.[2] No legal action by
RealNetworks has been taken against KL Software."

Note though: Karl Lillevold ....KL. Coincidence? It is to wonder.
Supposedly, there is a home page for a KLSoftware:

http://www.klsoftware.com

but it times out on my system. Then there is this page:

http://www.klsolution.com/en/

which I found here:

http://www.linkedin.com/companies/kl-software

but I think it might not be the same company. The Wikipedia link for
info on the company:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KL_Software

leads to info about the K-Lite Codec Pack.

The home page for the Real Alternative program is alternatively claimed
by some to be here:

http://codecguide.com/about_real.htm

and then by others here:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/real_Alternative.htm

IMO, it's the former because there's a changelog there. In the past,
I've checked the downloads from both sites for MD5 info and they matched
but I still prefer the codecguide site.

The first link of the two has a whois (found via Sam Spade) that reads:
Domain name: codecguide.com
Registrant Contact:
WhoisGuard
WhoisGuard Protected ()
Fax:
8939 S. Sepulveda Blvd
8939 S. Sepulveda Blvd
Westchester CA 90045
US
Administrative Contact:
WhoisGuard
WhoisGuard Protected xl8rhfejl...@whoisguard.com
<-----------NOTE!

1.6613102107
Fax: 1.6613102107
8939 S. Sepulveda Blvd
8939 S. Sepulveda Blvd
Westchester CA 90045
US
Technical Contact:
WhoisGuard
WhoisGuard Protected xl8rhfejl...@whoisguard.com
<-----------NOTE!

1.6613102107
Fax: 1.6613102107
8939 S. Sepulveda Blvd
8939 S. Sepulveda Blvd
Westchester CA 90045
US
Name Servers:
dns1.registrar-servers.com
dns2.registrar-servers.com
dns3.registrar-servers.com
Creation date: 12 Aug 2004 10: 18: 06
Expiration date: 12 Aug 2011 10: 18: 06

The IP address (195.78.32.5) seems to be hosted by the following:

195.78.32.5 = [ mat.posluh.hr ]

(Asked whois.ripe.net:43 about 195.78.32.5)

inetnum: 195.78.32.0 - 195.78.33.255
netname: POSLUH
descr: POSLuH d.o.o. Zagreb
country: HR
admin-c: ZM277-RIPE
tech-c: ZM277-RIPE
status: ASSIGNED PI
mnt-by: RIPE-NCC-HM-PI-MNT
mnt-lower: RIPE-NCC-HM-PI-MNT
mnt-by: ISKON
mnt-routes: ISKON
source: RIPE Filtered
person: Zoran Mutabzija
address: Srednjaci 22 10000 Zagreb Croatia
e-mail: zor...@posluh.hr

phone: 385 1 3841042
fax-no: 385 1 3841042
nic-hdl: ZM277-RIPE
source: RIPE Filtered
route: 195.78.32.0/23
descr: POSLUH
origin: AS25277
mnt-by: ISKON
source: RIPE Filtered

and both Hungary as well as Croatia seems not to enforce copyright laws.

The IP address is the same as mat.posluh.hr, which if you put it in the
address field of Firefox and hit the "Go" button redirects to this site:

http://www.download.hr

with an "About us" page here:

http://www.download.hr/about/impressum

There is this page:

http://www.aboutus.org/CodecGuide.com

but it provides no info except about the K-Lite Codec Pack. An
interesting historical discussion about RA and QT Alternative at Major
Geeks is here:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=79328

In the end, it may be that the questionable legality of RA and QTL are
what will make me remove them from my system.

Then there's the K-Lite Codec Pack....

> Alternative had a number of files that were identified as Real products,
> including one file that consisted of a Real Networks logo! If it were
> truly an "alternative," why would it include that file? And no
> alternative source was ever listed: the thing sort of came upon the
> scene from the mists of outer space. Not even a mysterious "Gabest" to
> identify.
>
> Real's business model is downright disgusting. It was an attempt to
> create a huge captive market to turn us over to advertisers who would
> pay them to "serve" us. It almost worked, too! Their software raped our
> computers, turning our machines into their own dedicated servers with
> the clients being our ears and eyeballs. The whole enterprise was
> brilliantly diabolic, the kind of evil undead thing that Dick Cheney
> could think up.

So yes, maybe the RA download was a maneuver by Real to quiet down the
uproar against Real Player by people like us. If this is the case, it
certainly seems to have worked in that regard for the most part. 80)>

> ...It was a boojum.

1. n the physics of superfluidity, a boojum is a geometric pattern on
the surface of one of the phases of superfluid helium-3, whose motion
can result in the decay of a supercurrent. A boojum can result from a
monopole singularity in the bulk of the liquid being drawn to, and then
"pinned" on a surface. Although superfluid helium-3 only exists within a
few thousandths of a degree of absolute zero, boojums have also been
observed forming in various liquid crystals at room temperature.

2. A tall tree native to Mexico and California (Fouquieria columnaris)

3. A dangerous form of snark (an imaginary animal) in Lewis Carroll's
poem "The Hunting of the Snark". In the poem, the appearance of a boojum
can cause something to "softly and suddenly vanish away".

Methinks you refer to the third definition? 80)>

At any rate, I've been using the following for years:

Real Alternative
Media Player Classic (not the Home Theater version, but the Gabest
version 6.4.9.1 rev. 89)
Quicktime Lite
K-Lite Codec Pack

without any problems whatsoever. Certainly, no malware infections that
I'm aware of. Rootkits can hide that kind of stuff though, so who really
knows for sure?

Message has been deleted