AVAST?

0 vue

species8350

non lue,
28 mars 2010, 07:46:4328/03/2010
McAfee is about to end and I will be installing a new anti-virus
programme.

I want a free programme. I was thinking of installing AVAST.

Should I consider any competition

Thanks

Stephen Wolstenholme

non lue,
28 mars 2010, 08:08:5428/03/2010

Microsoft Security Essentials is free, brilliantly well designed and
so simple to use.

Steve

Neural network applications, help and support.

David H. Lipman

non lue,
28 mars 2010, 08:10:0928/03/2010
From: "species8350" <not_here.5....@xoxy.net>

Please don't Multi-Post.

Please learn to Cross-Post to pertinent, On Topic, news groups instead.

--
Dave

species8350

non lue,
28 mars 2010, 08:12:0928/03/2010
On Mar 28, 1:10 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...@Verizon.Net>
wrote:
> From: "species8350" <not_here.5.species8...@xoxy.net>

> Please don't Multi-Post.
>
> Please learn to Cross-Post to pertinent, On Topic, news groups instead.
>
> --
> Davehttp://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> Multi-AV -http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

I will use my own judgement

Bear Bottoms

non lue,
28 mars 2010, 08:45:5228/03/2010
Stephen Wolstenholme <st...@tropheus.demon.co.uk> wrote in

> On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 04:46:43 -0700 (PDT), species8350
> <not_here.5....@xoxy.net> wrote:
>
>>McAfee is about to end and I will be installing a new anti-virus
>>programme.
>>
>>I want a free programme. I was thinking of installing AVAST.
>>
>>Should I consider any competition
>>
>>Thanks
>
> Microsoft Security Essentials is free, brilliantly well designed and
> so simple to use.
>
> Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

I second that, and if you want a real time cloud layer for it, add Immunet
Protect.

https://www.immunet.com/protect

--
Bear Bottoms
Owner of Freeware website: http://bearware.info

David H. Lipman

non lue,
28 mars 2010, 09:38:2528/03/2010
From: "species8350" <not_here.5....@xoxy.net>

>> Please don't Multi-Post.

Which appears top be faulty based on your Multi-Posting and your use of
Google.

REM

non lue,
28 mars 2010, 09:57:3328/03/2010

>species8350 <not_here.5....@xoxy.net> wrote:

We use MSE on all the work machines.

I use Avast! at home.

I'd recommend either, but I prefer Avast!.

Bear Bottoms

non lue,
28 mars 2010, 10:17:2028/03/2010
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in

> From: "species8350" <not_here.5....@xoxy.net>
>
>| On Mar 28, 1:10 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...@Verizon.Net>
>| wrote:
>>> From: "species8350" <not_here.5.species8...@xoxy.net>
>
>>> Please don't Multi-Post.
>
>>> Please learn to Cross-Post to pertinent, On Topic, news groups
>>> instead.
>
>>> --
>>> Davehttp://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
>>> Multi-AV -http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
>
>| I will use my own judgement
>
> Which appears top be faulty based on your Multi-Posting and your use
> of Google.

That is a matter of opinion. That he can do as he wishes is a given. You
can't stop him, and your demeanor will not convert him.

If you wish to attempt to chase him out of the newsgroup...well let's
see how big his balls are. :)

Le message a été supprimé

species8350

non lue,
28 mars 2010, 12:32:3628/03/2010
On Mar 28, 2:38 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...@Verizon.Net>

wrote:
> From: "species8350" <not_here.5.species8...@xoxy.net>
>
> | On Mar 28, 1:10 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...@Verizon.Net>
>
> | wrote:
> >> From: "species8350" <not_here.5.species8...@xoxy.net>
> >> Please don't Multi-Post.
> >> Please learn to Cross-Post to pertinent, On Topic, news groups instead.
> >> --
> >> Davehttp://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> >> Multi-AV -http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
>
> | I will use my own judgement
>
> Which appears top be faulty based on your Multi-Posting and your use of
> Google.
>
> --
> Davehttp://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> Multi-AV -http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

David

If you don't like it, then don't follow my posts.

Craig

non lue,
28 mars 2010, 13:08:3328/03/2010

I've switched over to MSE for the systems I fix or set up (XP or Win7).
But my reasons may be more slothful than most:

- I casually checked AV comparison surveys & MSE seems "good,"
- MSE is free for commercial & non-commercial,
- It's light on resources (as eyeballed - no hard stats),
- It's stoopid-simple to keep up-to-date & run.

Good article on MSE by the folks at Ars:
<http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/09/first-look-microsoft-security-essentials-impresses.ars>

hth,
--
-Craig

REM

non lue,
28 mars 2010, 13:31:4628/03/2010

> Craig <netbu...@REMOVEgmail.com> wrote:

>I've switched over to MSE for the systems I fix or set up (XP or Win7).
> But my reasons may be more slothful than most:

>- I casually checked AV comparison surveys & MSE seems "good,"
>- MSE is free for commercial & non-commercial,
>- It's light on resources (as eyeballed - no hard stats),
>- It's stoopid-simple to keep up-to-date & run.

Do you run scheduled scans? Some of our older PCS drag down really
badly with this. Even with the short scan.

I've been disabling the scheduled scans and I'm depending on real time
protection to catch anything that should find it's way in.

We run the update and scan while installing MSE. We have to exempt our
VNC program during this initial scan. It seems to work from what I've
seen so far. Updates still occur.

Craig

non lue,
28 mars 2010, 13:51:1128/03/2010
On 03/28/2010 10:31 AM, REM wrote:

> Do you run scheduled scans? Some of our older PCS drag down really
> badly with this. Even with the short scan.

I set MSE to run scheduled scans for all 6 pc's I've worked on. Four of
those are friends/family. They report that their systems are running
better (faster) than before but I can't confirm that they're letting the
scans take place.

I haven't noticed any significant slowdowns during scheduled scans on
the two work boxen which I administer (P4/1GB/Win7Pro &
Core2Duo/4GB/Win7Pro). Wish I could give you a bigger data-set...

> I've been disabling the scheduled scans and I'm depending on real time
> protection to catch anything that should find it's way in.

I know this is a "duh" question but, why not schedule the scan for after
hours?

> We run the update and scan while installing MSE. We have to exempt our
> VNC program during this initial scan. It seems to work from what I've
> seen so far. Updates still occur.

Good to know. Thx.

--
-Craig

Poutnik

non lue,
28 mars 2010, 13:57:1928/03/2010
In article <cdada090-67bb-4011-b964-3e0969c9daba@
30g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>, not_here.5....@xoxy.net says...

> > Which appears top be faulty based on your Multi-Posting and your use of
> > Google.
> >
> > --
> > Davehttp://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> > Multi-AV -http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
>
> David
>
> If you don't like it, then don't follow my posts.

I guess instead of posting question and waiting for response,
Your Google review would be finished long time ago....

--
Poutnik
The best depends on how the best is defined.

Rod

non lue,
28 mars 2010, 14:57:0428/03/2010

I have run Avast for several years now, and am quite happy with it's
performance. Does not drag a machine down the way McAffee or Norton does.
New version has an easier to use GUI.

binar...@gmail.com

non lue,
28 mars 2010, 15:18:4128/03/2010
I've used the FREE edition of Avast! for years, and it earned my
confidence quickly. Last month I began using that laptop for work, so
bought the PAY edition and am even more satisfied. A good product,
evidenced by the fact that I have never used their customer service...

Having said that, I acknowledge that there is no single anti-malware
tool that does everything and does it perfectly. Periodically, a second
opinion is a good idea.

I recommend Avast! plus the ESET free online scanner.

Ike

Bear Bottoms

non lue,
28 mars 2010, 15:21:4728/03/2010
Craig <netbu...@REMOVEgmail.com> wrote in

"As we continued testing MSE, it either caught threats after they were
downloaded and executed, or blocked them from getting onto the computer
in the first place. It doesn't have a 100 percent detection rate (that
would be impossible, of course), but when we uninstalled it and scanned
our machine with various other third-party software, they all came up
with nothing."

This is what MSE and RISING do so well, that AVAST and Avira do not. This
is why the tests that flaunt both of these products are misleading
potential end-users and flawed. They are base on signature detections and
that ain't enough. AVAST nor Avira do nearly as well with non-signature
based malware as RISING or MSE.

The way MSE handles malware it discovers that is not signature based is
better than what RISING does and why I switched to it over RISING. RISING
does not investigate suspected malware, it just blocks and removes it.
MSE investigates first.

Ace

non lue,
28 mars 2010, 15:28:4828/03/2010
On 28.03.2010 19:08, Craig wrote:
> - MSE is free for commercial & non-commercial,

Free to use for home and non commercial use! Free? You have to pay for
Windows ;)

za kAT

non lue,
28 mars 2010, 15:30:3228/03/2010
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 19:21:47 GMT, Bear Bottoms wrote:

> The way MSE handles malware it discovers that is not signature based is
> better than what RISING does and why I switched to it over RISING. RISING
> does not investigate suspected malware, it just blocks and removes it.
> MSE investigates first.

Can you cite where that info came from? Seriously, I think you made it up.

Or someone else did.

--
za...@pooh.the.cat - www.zakATsKopterChat.com
Posted from my kopter!

za kAT

non lue,
28 mars 2010, 15:37:1428/03/2010

Ha! Actually, it's 'free' for home and home-based small businesses.

Actual wording EULA

"Use. You may install and use any number of copies of the software on your
devices in your household for use by people who reside there or for use in
your home-based small business. "

So 'commercial' is a tad misleading, and I call for Craig to fall on his
sword!

Craig

non lue,
28 mars 2010, 15:42:1428/03/2010
On 03/28/2010 12:37 PM, za kAT wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 21:28:48 +0200, Ace wrote:
>
>> On 28.03.2010 19:08, Craig wrote:
>>> - MSE is free for commercial& non-commercial,

>> Free to use for home and non commercial use! Free? You have to pay for
>> Windows ;)
>
> Ha! Actually, it's 'free' for home and home-based small businesses.
>
> Actual wording EULA
>
> "Use. You may install and use any number of copies of the software on your
> devices in your household for use by people who reside there or for use in
> your home-based small business. "

Luckily, our 8,000 sq-meter production facility has a couple of cots in
its office...

> So 'commercial' is a tad misleading, and I call for Craig to fall on his
> sword!

Duly noted & summarily seppuku'd.

--
-Craig

REM

non lue,
28 mars 2010, 15:56:3128/03/2010

>Craig <netbu...@REMOVEgmail.com> wrote:

>I know this is a "duh" question but, why not schedule the scan for after
>hours?

We have so many PCs, new old, those we've put a clean install on and
those that are still running Win 2000.

Some people leave them on. Others turn them off.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/mseupdate/thread/74e507b8-f6da-4eca-8ce7-d1aca7d3f1ba

-- partial copy/paste:

MSE Updates are downloaded automatically using the AU "pipe" which
includes BITS, the Background Intelligent Transfer Service. It must be
running and up to date, or MSE updates may have a problem.

The Microsoft Antimalware group deploys updates for MSE (also
Forefront and Windows Live OneCare) typically a few times daily. It is
not critical for you to check for updates throughout the day because
when MSE checks for updates, the offered updates will be downloaded
and added to the database.

MSE will report that it is up to date and in good status even if the
definitions are a few days old on the PC. Note that MSE uses the local
signatures for common protection, but it also employs behavioral
detection. If suspicious activity is detected, MSE will communicate
with the servers to determine if a match has been reported and will
immediately download any information needed to deal with the threat if
a match is found.

Updates are a once per 24 hour check on a schedule determined by MSE.
There is no setting within MSE to change the scheduled time or
frequency.

Optionally, you can add a check for updates by setting check for
updates before scan and setting up a scheduled scan daily (for a time
when the PC will be on as it won't run a missed scan later).

MSE will also check 10 minutes or so after boot or wake from sleep if
there is a network connection *and* the current updates are greater
than 24 hours old.

It will *not* perform this catch up check if the current definitions
were installed within the past 24 hours, but will wait until the next
scheduled check time.
--

We have one facility that is complaining that all available bandwith
is being usurped from 7:45 - 8:15 with scans disabled. I just found

Bear Bottoms

non lue,
28 mars 2010, 16:25:1828/03/2010
Ace <x...@x.com> wrote in news:hooalg$3jk$1...@localhost.localdomain:

Ha, why do you need an antivirus on linux? Clue: you do and ya can't have
MSE...too bad. ;)

Why settle for substandard OS' when the long term cost of the best is so
nominal.

John Corliss

non lue,
28 mars 2010, 16:52:2528/03/2010
WaIIy wrote:
> Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

>> species8350 wrote:
>> >
>>> McAfee is about to end and I will be installing a new anti-virus
>>> programme. I want a free programme. I was thinking of installing
>>> AVAST. Should I consider any competition
>>
>> Microsoft Security Essentials is free, brilliantly well designed and
>> so simple to use.
>
> and so totally invasive

Just curious, would you care to elaborate? TIA.

--
John Corliss

No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, share, spy, time-limited,
trial or web wares OR warez for me, please. Adobe Flash sucks, DivX rules.

za kAT

non lue,
28 mars 2010, 16:57:1828/03/2010

If not for you, Craig, Pooh and I would be so lonely... :(

I support Bear Bottoms.
--
za...@pooh.the.cat - www.zakATsKopterChat.com

Le message a été supprimé

species8350

non lue,
28 mars 2010, 21:40:3228/03/2010
On Mar 29, 1:29 am, WaIIy <WaIIy@(nft).invalid> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 13:52:25 -0700, John Corliss <q34ws...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >WaIIy wrote:

> >> and so totally invasive
>
> >Just curious, would you care to elaborate? TIA.
>
> I use a batch file to turn automatic update services on or off and
> manually check if I want to d/l updates and choose which ones.
>
> NET STOP "Automatic Updates"
> SC CONFIG wuauserv start= demand
> NET STOP "Background Intelligent Transfer Service"
> SC CONFIG bits start= demand
> pause
> exit
>
> MSE went around all that and set my machine to auto-update even things
> like Outllook updates and I don't have Outlook installed.
>
> My mistrust of Microsoft looking through everything and keeping records
> of who's who and what's what is part of it.
>
> Yes, my Winxp is legal.

Thanks to all for responding.

The list enables me to make comparisons.

I may return with questions.

Best wishes.

Nomen Nescio

non lue,
29 mars 2010, 10:40:0429/03/2010
species8350 wrote:

What a perfectly juvenile reply...

By all means sonny, ignore commonly accepted standards of conduct just to
express how "enlightened" you are. By all means, let's see just how far
it gets you.

*snicker*

Klaatu

non lue,
29 mars 2010, 15:34:4929/03/2010
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 19:28:48 GMT, Ace posted to alt.comp.freeware:

Non sequitur.

What's your point?

--
What was the greatest thing before sliced bread?

za kAT

non lue,
29 mars 2010, 16:19:3329/03/2010
On 29 Mar 2010 19:34:49 GMT, Klaatu wrote:

> What was the greatest thing before sliced bread?

Tuna.
--
za...@pooh.the.cat - www.zakATsKopterChat.com

0 nouveau message