capture each image

Ven

Nov 19, 2006, 2:57:11 AM11/19/06
HI
I have some radar images that run in an old PC Rapic program. This old dos
program will run in a window and I can control the speed that the images
are swapped.
I would like to capture each image as the program displays them and save as
a gif or png or jpeg or similar to use in a javascript loop.
Is there a freeware program that can capture an image of the screen
automatically every second or so and save as imdividual images. I intend to
capture 24 hours of images that are 10 minutes apart.... but the PC Rapic
program displays all the images with a variable dwell which I can set.
I will be capturing the ... PC Rapic need single scan "CompPPI" files
see... http://www.bom.gov.au/nmoc/archives/Radar/samples/
AS I am on broadband I will check for replies in a day or so. thanks
Ven

chris

Nov 19, 2006, 6:02:36 AM11/19/06

"Ven" <n...@powerup.com.au> wrote

> HI
> I have some radar images that run in an old PC Rapic program. This old dos
> program will run in a window and I can control the speed that the images
> are swapped.
> I would like to capture each image as the program displays them and save
as
> a gif or png or jpeg or similar to use in a javascript loop.
> Is there a freeware program that can capture an image of the screen
> automatically every second or so and save as imdividual images.

irfanview can do this ( options - capture )

lisztfr

Nov 19, 2006, 7:27:32 AM11/19/06

Ven a écrit :

Printkey2000. for the moment i can find only a FR version, there is
also a commercial version printkey and a free.

Lh

Ven

Nov 19, 2006, 8:15:17 AM11/19/06

I thought Irfanview could only capture and save images one at a time. I
wish to automate a capture and save of hundreds of images automatically in
one operation not hundreds of individual saves. Can Irfanview do this?
Ven

remove

Nov 19, 2006, 9:59:56 AM11/19/06

ms

Nov 19, 2006, 11:20:24 AM11/19/06
carver(remove)3...@bellsouth.net wrote in

The download link is dead, Google no luck.

Do you have a good link?

Mike Sa

chris

Nov 19, 2006, 3:58:36 PM11/19/06

"Ven" <n...@powerup.com.au> wrote

> > irfanview can do this ( options - capture )
>

> I thought Irfanview could only capture and save images one at a time. I
> wish to automate a capture and save of hundreds of images automatically in
> one operation not hundreds of individual saves. Can Irfanview do this?
> Ven

oh man, I wrote already Irfanview could do it.
If you look at the capture options ( capture method ) you can give an
automatic timer delay in seconds.

FirstName LastName

Nov 19, 2006, 4:11:32 PM11/19/06

Ven

Nov 19, 2006, 4:19:39 PM11/19/06

Oh dear
you are right. This solution works fine for me. Much appreciated.
Ven

Ven

Nov 19, 2006, 4:33:04 PM11/19/06

...on reflection,
a better method would for the capture program to automatically capture a
screen each time that a new image appeared. I am finding it a bit difficult
to sync the 2 programs and sometimes get an extra copy of 1 image and miss
another. This is not a big problem for me but others may want a better
solution. Ven

ms

Nov 20, 2006, 8:37:20 AM11/20/06
FirstName LastName <first...@erehwon.com> wrote in news:ejqh9t$pnt$1
@aioe.server.aioe.org:

> ms wrote:
>> carver(remove)3...@bellsouth.net wrote in
>

>>> Shot Genius:
>>> http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Graphic-Capture/ShotGen
>>> ius.shtml
>

>> The download link is dead, Google no luck.
>
>> Do you have a good link?
>
>> Mike Sa
>
> http://shotgenius.wininizio.it/index_eng.html

Thanks, downloading now.

Mike Sa

Hengist_Ludd

Nov 21, 2006, 6:06:18 AM11/21/06
> automatically capture a screen each time that a new image appeared.

I *think* DonationCoder's ScreenShot Captor can do this
http://www.donationcoder.com click on Mouser's software. N.b., donation
ware, but he generously allows you to use it without donating, if you
insist.

Ron May

Nov 21, 2006, 11:55:33 AM11/21/06

DonationCoder has WAY too many hoops to navigate, including having to
join a forum to get a registration key that lasts six months. I look
at their offerings as "shareware lite in disguise."

--
Ron M.

Hengist_Ludd

Nov 24, 2006, 6:58:07 AM11/24/06
> > > automatically capture a screen each time that a new image appeared.
> >
> > I *think* DonationCoder's ScreenShot Captor can do this
> > http://www.donationcoder.com
>
> DonationCoder has WAY too many hoops to navigate, including having to
> join a forum to get a registration key that lasts six months. I look
> at their offerings as "shareware lite in disguise."

Actually quite a lot of freeware is donatable - TED Notepad, Clippy, Kana
Solution, just three off the top of my head, all make donations possible.
DonationCoder is just more up-front about encouraging you to donate, but
still allows you to use the software for free if you really want to. I
seem to remember that you have to go back for a second key, but after a
year you can get an unlimited one. The administrator has been known to
give people keys earlier, on polite request. Also, most of the smaller
software on the site, like Skrommel's and f0dder's, doesn't require any
kind of key.

I donated because I really like their forums. The software was only a
minor bonus at the time because I didn't use much of it, though I've been
using Clipboard Help and Spell a bit recently because the big corporate
software I have to use tends to crashe my old freeware copy of ClipCache,
while CHS stays solid.

Terry Pinnell

Nov 24, 2006, 12:13:50 PM11/24/06
Ven <n...@powerup.com.au> wrote:

CamStudio could do it. The free version is available here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/camstudio/

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Ron May

Nov 24, 2006, 8:17:38 PM11/24/06
On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 06:58:07 -0500, "Hengist_Ludd"
<Hengist_Ludd@[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Actually quite a lot of freeware is donatable - TED Notepad, Clippy, Kana
> Solution, just three off the top of my head, all make donations possible.

And I don't have any problem with that. I've donated to quite a few
programs, generally those I use on a daily or near-daily basis. A
very high percentage of Pricelessware selections fall into the
Donationware category. That's not the problem. Read on...

> DonationCoder is just more up-front about encouraging you to donate, but
> still allows you to use the software for free if you really want to.

To say that "DonationCoder is just more up-front about encouraging you
to donate" qualifies as one of the top ten understatements of the year
that I've seen in ACF.

First, you have to join a forum, then you get a key, then you have to
renew the keyin 6 months, then renew it again 6 months later. At each
step of the process, you have to read through the rationale of why
they "have adopted a somewhat unusual policy for people who do not
donate" (their own words, not mine.) If you don't want to join the
forum, you get a key that you have to renew every 60 days and you
NEVER qualify for a permanent key.

If DonationCoder offerings were really "donationware" in the sense of
how that label is normally applied by other software authors and
companies, that would be one thing, but that's not how it works.
Behind the "Donationware" facade, they also use elements of nagware,
registerware, trialware, and generally PITA-ware in far too aggressive
an approach to bear the "freeware" tag. As I said before, if I had to
characterize their wares, I think "shareware lite in disguise" would
be far more accurate. On top of that, the programs themselves, while
some might be useful, they are hardly what I would consider to be the
best in category when compared with other freeware programs that DON'T
involve all the hassle.

Thanks, but no thanks. If it's offered via DonationCoder, I'll pass.

--
Ron M.

Bear Bottoms

Nov 24, 2006, 8:31:37 PM11/24/06

Awesome synopsis Ron. I agree fully.

--
I Research Freeware http://bearbottoms1.com

mouser

Nov 26, 2006, 3:56:12 PM11/26/06
Hi, I'm the author of Screenshot Captor and Clipboard Help+Spell, and
many of the programs on DonationCoder.com. I just wanted to say a few
words.

We (I) have tried and struggled hard to figure out a way we can keep
all of our software free for everyone to use without paying, and
without being restricted to a limited feature version of our programs,
and without having to put ads in the program etc, while still
encouraging a small percentage of people to donate to help support our
site.

Some people seem to really appreciate our approach and others get plain
angry at having to sign up to download a 6-month renewable license key.
I've written about the motivations and approaches of our site
elsewhere and in a long article on our site. In many ways we view our
site as an experiment in donationware and figuring out a reasonable
balance between keeping software free, and avoiding the fate of so many
other freeware tools that become abandonware because the author can't
afford to spend the time working on it and money hosting. It costs us
$300 a month in hosting fees to run our site, and our programs are
constantly updated - that simply wouldn't be possible without the
support of people who have chosen to donate, and donate generously.
And all the while we have been able to stick to our principles that
people who can't afford don't have to pay, and still get the full
versions. And sticking with the principle that everyone should pay
exactly what the feel the programs are worth, and nothing more.

I wish i could write freeware and never ask anyone for a dime to
support the work - but it's simply not possible to pay the bills
without asking for some support. When I say this most people who don't
like having to sign up or make a donation often reply: Make your
software shareware! I don't quite understand this answer.. The aim of
our site is honestly to figure out a way to make the software available
to everyone regardless of income, and let everyone decide how much they
want to pay to support the software.

I do recognize that the unusual nature of the site makes it a bit
confusing and complicated, and we are trying hard to simplify it and
make things clearer. We will continue to try to strike a balance with
our approach and stick to our principles, and try to be good citizens.
I know not everyone will agree with the path we've taken - I only ask
that you try to understand where we are coming from and what we are
trying to do, and understand that we are totally and uncompromisingly
dedicated to being honorable and conscientious and producing high
quality software that we can support and maintain and take care of, and
doing so without doing anything evil or shady.

I am always available to answer questions or take complaints by email
or through newsgroups; you can find my email and other quotations from
people about the site, mostly positivie but some negative :).

-mouser (admin of donationcoder.com)

Bear Bottoms

Nov 26, 2006, 4:45:00 PM11/26/06
On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 14:56:12 -0600, mouser <mou...@donationcoder.com>
wrote:

> Hi, I'm the author of Screenshot Captor and Clipboard Help+Spell, and
> many of the programs on DonationCoder.com. I just wanted to say a few
> words.
>
> We (I) have tried and struggled hard to figure out a way we can keep
> all of our software free for everyone to use without paying, and
> without being restricted to a limited feature version of our programs,
> and without having to put ads in the program etc, while still
> encouraging a small percentage of people to donate to help support our
> site.

You will be successful with that approach or you won't. I suppose it
mostly depends on what you have to offer under those conditions compared
to what is being offered under less imposing conditions. Good luck.

Ron May

Nov 26, 2006, 4:50:35 PM11/26/06
On 26 Nov 2006 12:56:12 -0800, "mouser" <mou...@donationcoder.com>
wrote:

> Hi, I'm the author of Screenshot Captor and Clipboard Help+Spell, and
> many of the programs on DonationCoder.com. I just wanted to say a few
> words.

[snip]

> When I say this most people who don't
> like having to sign up or make a donation often reply: Make your
> software shareware! I don't quite understand this answer.. The aim of
> our site is honestly to figure out a way to make the software available
> to everyone regardless of income, and let everyone decide how much they
> want to pay to support the software.

[snip]

> I am always available to answer questions or take complaints by email
> or through newsgroups; you can find my email and other quotations from
> people about the site, mostly positivie but some negative :).
>
> -mouser (admin of donationcoder.com)

Mouser,

I've seen your rationale here in ACF before. I didn't agree with it
before and I still don't agree.

It's using the term "FREEWARE" with respect to your offerings that I
strenuously and vehemently object to. If you replace the word
"FREEWARE" with the word "SHAREWARE" and operate in the exact same
way, I wouldn't have a single objection to your approach.

The cost could still be whatever a person thinks the program is worth,
and you could still, if you want to, require forum registration and
offer FREE non-expiring keys after the third key is obtained for those
who chose not to make a "SHARERWARE" donation, and you could keep the
60 day keys as a sort of "TRIALWARE" approach for those who want to
"try before they buy."

Attempting to use the "FREEWARE" label with the tactics that you
employ is dishonest and misleading. Call it "SHAREWARE" under your
exact same marketing plan and you'll encounter fewer objections.

What I dont understand is why YOU "don't quite understand" why people
say you should "Make your software shareware!" What they're trying to
tell you is "Don't call it FREEWARE 'cuz it AIN'T!"

Does THAT make it easier for you to understand?

--
Ron M.

mouser

Nov 26, 2006, 5:17:53 PM11/26/06
The problem with calling it shareware is that shareware has come to
mean something quite specific to people - software you can download and
try, and then have to pay a fixed price to keep using (or use all of
the features). Our software is clearly not that.

I'd estimate that over 99% of the people who use our software never
donate - they simply use the software for free after signing up at our
forum. It is on that basis that i feel comfortable calling it
donationware/freeware.

Our software could be called "register-ware" since users typically
would register at our forum to get the 6-month renewable license keys,
and can be called donationware. Most software listing sites only
distinguish between shareware and freeware and we have to choose
between those when listing it and explaining it to others.

Bear Bottoms

Nov 26, 2006, 5:36:57 PM11/26/06
On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 16:17:53 -0600, mouser <mou...@donationcoder.com>
wrote:

> The problem with calling it shareware is that shareware has come to

> mean something quite specific to people - software you can download and
> try, and then have to pay a fixed price to keep using (or use all of
> the features). Our software is clearly not that.
>
> I'd estimate that over 99% of the people who use our software never
> donate - they simply use the software for free after signing up at our
> forum. It is on that basis that i feel comfortable calling it
> donationware/freeware.
>
> Our software could be called "register-ware" since users typically
> would register at our forum to get the 6-month renewable license keys,
> and can be called donationware. Most software listing sites only
> distinguish between shareware and freeware and we have to choose
> between those when listing it and explaining it to others.

I think calling it donationware is fine. I also think what you are doing
is fine and there is no need for trash talk. I don't think it can
honestly be called freeware in the truest sense, but I do not think that
matters much as you point out...most people do not donate anyway...so in
the truest sense it is registerware.

You have every right to offer your products under your own conditions and
you are up front about it. I see nothing wrong with that. Your success
with that structure will depend (as I said earlier) on how your offerings
with your conditions compare to similar products without such conditions.
In the long run, this will make the difference, not trash talk in a
newsgroup.

jon

Nov 26, 2006, 6:27:07 PM11/26/06

mouser wrote:

> It is on that basis that i feel comfortable calling it
>donationware/freeware.

Your comfort levels hardly determine your ware status though.

Interesting to see your rallying call to the troops on your main page.
I'm with Carol Haynes and mrainey on this...
You are in the wrong newsgroup for your 'debate'.

There are loads of newsgroups where you would be 'on topic'. Since
this is not one of them, you simply look like a troll.

But that's just my opinion - with some regulars here being quite
content to call their build of Winrar 'freeware', the dynamic of this
group is clearly changing.

mouser

Nov 26, 2006, 6:43:24 PM11/26/06
I try very hard to be balanced and not engage in trolling or flame
wars. For those that are curious, the post you are referring to as a
"rallying call" that i made on the DonationCoder.com forum is here:
http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb/index.php?topic=6287

As far as my comments on this thread being trolling - I am a big fan of
freeware. I've written several large open source projects and freeware
programs (yes even ones that dont require registering or licenses), and
read the alt.comp.freeware newsgroups. I try to keep my eye open for
new cool freeware and blog about it. And when I see posts in the
newsgroups saying bad things about our site, I generally try to post a
respectfull reply explaining what we are trying to do and why.

I don't post about our site when we release new software because i know
some of you would get upset, so i limit myself to replying only when i
feel the negative comments about our site need a response. I've never
tried to stifle debate or dissent about it, just express my views and
our motivations.

-mouser

Ron May

Nov 26, 2006, 7:19:15 PM11/26/06
On 26 Nov 2006 14:17:53 -0800, "mouser" <mou...@donationcoder.com>
wrote:

> The problem with calling it shareware is that shareware has come to
> mean something quite specific to people - software you can download and
> try, and then have to pay a fixed price to keep using (or use all of
> the features). Our software is clearly not that.

It's clearly not "FREEWARE" either, and dishonest to represent it as
such. The reason you choose to apply the term in such a dececeptive
manner is that you KNOW fewer people would visit your site and
consider your offerings if you advertised it for what it really is. In
the "brick and mortar" trade, that would be "bait and switch," an
unethical practice to lure people in so you can make a pitch to sell
them something else.

> Most software listing sites only
> distinguish between shareware and freeware and we have to choose
> between those when listing it and explaining it to others.

Then list it as SHAREWARE and explain your marketing strategy in the
program description. What you offer is CLEARLY NOT FREEWARE, and to
use your argument from the first paragraph, both FREEWARE and
DONATIONWARE "have come to mean something quite specific to people"
also, but you don't seem to have a problem with the fact that your
offerings stretch those "quite specific" meanngs that people have come
accept far beyond the breaking point.

In an earlier post in this thread, I described your sales approach:

> First, you have to join a forum, then you get a key, then you have to
> renew the keyin 6 months, then renew it again 6 months later. At each
> step of the process, you have to read through the rationale of why
> they "have adopted a somewhat unusual policy for people who do not
> donate" (their own words, not mine.) If you don't want to join the
> forum, you get a key that you have to renew every 60 days and you
> NEVER qualify for a permanent key.

Can you oint out any false or misleading statements in that
pararagraph? I don't think so.

In the post before that, I said this:

> DonationCoder has WAY too many hoops to navigate, including having to
> join a forum to get a registration key that lasts six months. I look
> at their offerings as "shareware lite in disguise."

This is a FREEWARE newsgroup. People here are interested in FREEWARE
and are much more prone to ask "What's the catch" than the average
user. They are entitled to know how you have chosen to hawk your
wares and decide for themselves whether it's "FREEWARE" or not. I've
already made up MY mind on the issue, and when I happen to see a
DonationCoder recommendation, I intend to post a reply outlining my
disagreement with your (mis)application of the term "FREEWARE."

--
Ron M.

Sietse Fliege

Nov 26, 2006, 10:03:40 PM11/26/06
Ron May wrote:

<snip>

> ... when I happen to see a

> DonationCoder recommendation, I intend to post a reply outlining my
> disagreement with your (mis)application of the term "FREEWARE."

Note that there is also freeware on the site.
For example all of (more than 40) Skrommel's utilities. They are written
in the AutoHotkey scripting language. Downloads are available both as
pre-compiled .exe files or as .ahk scripts you can customize for your
own use. http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/

--
Cheers,
Sietse Fliege

John Fitzsimons

Nov 26, 2006, 10:30:08 PM11/26/06
On 26 Nov 2006 12:56:12 -0800, "mouser" <mou...@donationcoder.com>
wrote:

Hi Mouser,

< snip >

>Some people seem to really appreciate our approach and others get plain
>angry at having to sign up to download a 6-month renewable license key.
> I've written about the motivations and approaches of our site
>elsewhere and in a long article on our site. In many ways we view our
>site as an experiment in donationware and figuring out a reasonable
>balance between keeping software free, and avoiding the fate of so many
>other freeware tools that become abandonware because the author can't
>afford to spend the time working on it and money hosting. It costs us
>$300 a month in hosting fees to run our site, and our programs are
>constantly updated - that simply wouldn't be possible without the
>support of people who have chosen to donate, and donate generously.
>And all the while we have been able to stick to our principles that
>people who can't afford don't have to pay, and still get the full
>versions. And sticking with the principle that everyone should pay
>exactly what the feel the programs are worth, and nothing more.

< snip >

It certainly is an interesting situation you have. Idealism versus
reality. I thought I might add something FWIW. Perhaps when asking
people for donations you could consider mentioning that donations of
web server space might help you ? Then some/all of your files could
be hosted elsewhere. (Though leaving your site as a sort of front
end.) Reducing your hosting costs.

I am pretty sure that there are several people here who have spare
"commercial" server space who may be of help to you. I suspect you
know the download figures for all of your programs ? Even one hosted
elsewhere might make life easier for you.

Regards, John.

Ron May

Nov 26, 2006, 11:45:33 PM11/26/06
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 04:03:40 +0100, "Sietse Fliege"
<change_.inv...@sf.slownet.invalid> wrote:

> Note that there is also freeware on the site.
> For example all of (more than 40) Skrommel's utilities. They are written
> in the AutoHotkey scripting language. Downloads are available both as
> pre-compiled .exe files or as .ahk scripts you can customize for your
> own use. http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/

I'm aware that there are SOME freeware offerings on the site, and I
have no objection to TRUE freeware being described AS freeware,
although I'm sure you'll agree that describing things like "scripts,"
(or .bat or .reg files or "skins" or .jpgs) as "software programs" is
at least a small stretch.

Having said that, my point is, was and still remains that the
marketing plan used by mouser for the vast MAJORITY of programs on the
site should not be described as "FREEWARE," including the program I
originally cited in Message-ID:

<dkb6m21d7qor84nqc...@4ax.com>

The poster DID mention that it was "Donationware," but if you read my
reply tou'll see it was an alert to the OP, to the person making the
recommendation, and to other readers of the thread that because of all
the hoops to navigate, programs like this offered by DonationCoder
really shouldn't be described as "FREEWARE."

--
Ron M.

Sietse Fliege

Nov 27, 2006, 12:49:11 AM11/27/06
Ron May wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 04:03:40 +0100, "Sietse Fliege"
> <change_.inv...@sf.slownet.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Note that there is also freeware on the site.
>> For example all of (more than 40) Skrommel's utilities. They are
>> written in the AutoHotkey scripting language. Downloads are
>> available both as pre-compiled .exe files or as .ahk scripts you can
>> customize for your own use.
>> http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/
>
> I'm aware that there are SOME freeware offerings on the site, and I
> have no objection to TRUE freeware being described AS freeware,
> although I'm sure you'll agree that describing things like "scripts,"
> (or .bat or .reg files or "skins" or .jpgs) as "software programs" is
> at least a small stretch.

Like I said: Skrommel's 40+ utilities are downloadable BOTH as as
pre-compiled .exe files and as sourcecode (as .ahk scripts).
They ARE freeware (with seperately downloadable sourcecode).
(Why don't you have a look at his page for which i provided the link.)
They are also not the only freeware on the site.
My point is: when you see donationcoder.com in someone's post that does
not automatically mean that it is not about what is generally considered
to be freeware.

> Having said that, my point is, was and still remains that the
> marketing plan used by mouser for the vast MAJORITY of programs on the
> site should not be described as "FREEWARE," including the program I
> originally cited in Message-ID:
>
> <dkb6m21d7qor84nqc...@4ax.com>
>
> The poster DID mention that it was "Donationware," but if you read my
> reply tou'll see it was an alert to the OP, to the person making the
> recommendation, and to other readers of the thread that because of all
> the hoops to navigate, programs like this offered by DonationCoder
> really shouldn't be described as "FREEWARE."

This is not the first time that donationcoder.com is discussed.
I know all the arguments and I really did not want to add to it.

I was only replying to a particular sentence you wrote.
Unfortunately you snipped it, so here it is again:

You wrote:
> ... when I happen to see a DonationCoder recommendation, I intend to
> post a reply outlining my disagreement with your (mis)application of
> the term "FREEWARE."

"when I happen to see a DonationCoder recommendation" could also mean:
when e.g. one of Skrommel's freeware is recommended.
I would recommend you to check in each case whether it is about
freeware, should you want to pursue your intention.

--
Cheers,
Sietse Fliege

mouser

Nov 27, 2006, 4:53:40 AM11/27/06
Actually, the vast majority of programs on our site take no license key
and don't require signup to download or keep using. They have no limits
and are what you are calling pure freeware. These programs range from
short autohotkey scripts to large c++ open source projects.

There only are maybe 12-15 programs on our site (typically the biggest
ones that are most actively developed and require the most maintenance)
out of perhaps 60-70 that use the renewable free license key system.

We program because we love to program and love to write stuff that
people find useful - we aren't trying to trick or lure anyone into
anything, nor make people pay 1 penny more than they feel they should.
We view our site as an experiment - we are still trying to find the
best way to explain what we are trying to do, and to find a way to
survive (not get rich) off of voluntary donations while still keeping
to our principle that people should be able to use the software freely
without going through unreasonable effort.

-mouser

mouser

Nov 27, 2006, 7:03:31 AM11/27/06
Honest Question:

I've noticed a lot of freeware listing sites (for example Bear Bottoms
site - nice list by the way!), don't seem to have any problem with
referring to a reduced-functionality version of a shareware program as
freeware.

That is, company X makes a shareware program, and then a "lite" version
of the program with some features not enabled, and makes this available
for free.

Do you think people would feel more comfortable with the freeware label
on license-key-needing programs of DonationCoder.com, if without a
license key they simply didn't enable some features? That is, there
would be no expiration date on using the program or any nag messages,
just certain features not enabled until you register for the free
license key or donate.

Or is there some disagreement here with calling these "lite" versions
of programs freeware? Personally I've always felt a bit annoyed by the
lite versions, but i'm not sure that's based on logic rather than just
a deep down feeling like i must be missing out on something good :)

-mouser

Ron May

Nov 27, 2006, 7:45:28 AM11/27/06
On 27 Nov 2006 01:53:40 -0800, "mouser" <mou...@donationcoder.com>
wrote:

> Actually, the vast majority of programs on our site take no license key
> and don't require signup to download or keep using. They have no limits
> and are what you are calling pure freeware. These programs range from
> short autohotkey scripts to large c++ open source projects.
>
> There only are maybe 12-15 programs on our site (typically the biggest
> ones that are most actively developed and require the most maintenance)
> out of perhaps 60-70 that use the renewable free license key system.

But if 40+ of that 60-70 are scripts and other small code snippets,
then that still means most of the "programs" you offer are as I've
described, true?

> We program because we love to program and love to write stuff that
> people find useful - we aren't trying to trick or lure anyone into
> anything, nor make people pay 1 penny more than they feel they should.
> We view our site as an experiment - we are still trying to find the
> best way to explain what we are trying to do, and to find a way to
> survive (not get rich) off of voluntary donations while still keeping
> to our principle that people should be able to use the software freely
> without going through unreasonable effort.

Tell you what, mouser. What a person DOES is far more indicative of
intent than what they SAY. If you are TRULY "trying to find the best
way to explain what we are trying to do" then I suggest an HONEST
approach is the best. Admittedly, you and your cohorts would LIKE to
be compensated for your efforts, and there's nothing wrong with that.
If you described your offerings as "SHAREWARE" but offered to make
keys available for free using your current policies, we wouldn't be
having this discussion.

If your motivation is as you describe, you should SHOW it by your
actions and cease using the term "FREEWARE" in an unethical manner.
The ONLY reason you continue to cling to the misuse of the term is
that you KNOW if you accurately advertised your products as SHAREWARE
it would reduce your ability to lure people to your site.

The ball's in YOUR court now to show your intent by your actions, not
your "excuses." Do the right thing.

--
Ron M.

Ron May

Nov 27, 2006, 7:54:40 AM11/27/06

Of course all confusion and doubt in that regard would be removed if
DonationCoder would PROPERLY apply the term "FREEWARE," wouldn't you
agree?

I would recommend you put the blame where it belongs and ask mouser to
correct the source of any possible misunderstanding by providing
accurate ware descriptions of DonationCoder "programs."

--
Ron M.

Ron May

Nov 27, 2006, 8:08:12 AM11/27/06
On 27 Nov 2006 04:03:31 -0800, "mouser" <mou...@donationcoder.com>
wrote:

> Honest Question:
>
> I've noticed a lot of freeware listing sites (for example Bear Bottoms
> site - nice list by the way!), don't seem to have any problem with
> referring to a reduced-functionality version of a shareware program as
> freeware.
>
> That is, company X makes a shareware program, and then a "lite" version
> of the program with some features not enabled, and makes this available
> for free.
>
> Do you think people would feel more comfortable with the freeware label
> on license-key-needing programs of DonationCoder.com, if without a
> license key they simply didn't enable some features? That is, there
> would be no expiration date on using the program or any nag messages,
> just certain features not enabled until you register for the free
> license key or donate.
>
> Or is there some disagreement here with calling these "lite" versions
> of programs freeware? Personally I've always felt a bit annoyed by the
> lite versions, but i'm not sure that's based on logic rather than just
> a deep down feeling like i must be missing out on something good :)

You'll find some guidance here:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/WareGlossary.php

---------------------------
Liteware: free version of a commercial program. A useful program that
is more limited in features and functionality than the commercial
product. Liteware is not time-limited.
---------------------------
Crippleware: free version of a commercial program. More limited in
features and functionality than the commercial product. Crippleware
has severe limitations. Functionality that is important to the average
user has been disabled.
---------------------------

For good examples of "liteware" check out NoteTab Light and
EssentialPIM Free.

Disabling critical features (such as saving work, or saving
preferences, or limiting features that are NORMALLY available in
similar freeware programs of the same category) would make the
offering crippleware.

--
Ron M.

Caesar Romano

Nov 27, 2006, 8:41:06 AM11/27/06
wrote Re Re: capture each image:

>I'd estimate that over 99% of the people who use our software never
>donate - they simply use the software for free after signing up at our
>forum. It is on that basis that i feel comfortable calling it
>donationware/freeware.

You are wasting your time here.

In ACF most folks want to spend nothing more than a mouse-click to get
their software. Sure, they may have $2000 computers systems and $3000
home entertainment systems and $35,000 gas guzzling PigUVs, but so
what? The way they pay for that stuff is by saving pennies stiffing
software authors asking for a $5 donation or a 2-minute
re-registration.

Do yourself a favor and make it full-featured time-limited shareware
so you can pay your expenses and skip the appeal to the free-lunch
deadbeats in ACF; or make ShareWare and "Lite" versions.

mouser

Nov 27, 2006, 10:26:14 AM11/27/06
Ron,

I find the pricelessware glossary extremely helpfull, even if i
disagree with it on rare occasions. but one of the confusions i have
is that the terms don't seem to me to be orthogonal (exclusive) even
though they are presented as such.

For example, using your terminology, Is liteware also classified as
freeware?
or would you say that a liteware program is by definition NOT freeware?

I agree with you that if you cripple key functionality like saving,
then it's basically like a crippled trial, no matter if it's free or
not. But what if it's a usable feature-reduced version? Certainly
it's "liteware", but is it also reasonably called freeware?

raincoater

Nov 26, 2006, 11:58:11 PM11/26/06
.Hello, mouser!
You wrote:

> We view our site as an experiment - we are still trying to find the
> best way to explain what we are trying to do, and to find a way to
> survive (not get rich) off of voluntary donations while still keeping
> to our principle that people should be able to use the software freely
> without going through unreasonable effort.
>
> -mouser

Your current set up must then be judged a failure IMO as the process is
such a hassle that it fails your 'unreasonable effort' criterion.
-raincoater

Sietse Fliege

Nov 27, 2006, 11:19:03 AM11/27/06

The bulk of the donationcoder apps are without condition.

Only the following apps require a license key:

Clipboard Help+Spell
Desktop Coral
Drag+Drop Robot
Dr.Windows
Find+Run Robot
Flipbook Printer
The Form Letter Machine
Launch Bar Commander
Mobysaurus Thesaurus
PopUp Wisdom
Process Tamer
Screenshot Captor
Unicode Image Maker
URL Snooper
Web Log Filter

License keys can be obtained at no cost. Even these apps ARE freeware.
Apps that require a license key are even eligable for pricelessware.
Donationcoder apps differ only in how the license key scheme works
(expiring after 6 months but renewable, permanent after 12 months,
which means that you have to sign up 3 times to get a permanent key).

The scheme is sufficiently explained on the site.
Whether the scheme is reasonable or unreasonable is anyone's choice,
but technically the apps ARE freeware in our glossary's terms.
Donationcoder.com are rightly calling ALL of them freeware.
There is no reasonable argument for a crusade.

When in this group an app is recommended that is technically freeware
but there is a condition like having to obtain a license key then the
person that recommends it is expected to mention the condition.
Which is what Hengist_Ludd did when he mentioned ScreenShot Captor.
Every discussion thereafter was unnecessary, especially as we have been
going over it before a few times (but maybe you have not been long
enough in this group to know about that).

--
Cheers,
Sietse Fliege

mouser

Nov 27, 2006, 12:12:55 PM11/27/06
Thanks for that post Sietse.

Just a tiny point of clarification: you don't have to "sign up" 3 times
- you only need to sign up once. After that you need to come back in 6
months and visit the license key page - which automatically gives you a
new license key (no need to sign up again).

The intention is not to harrass the user, but to get them to actually
spend a few seconds visiting our website so that they will at least
consider whether they want to make a donation if they are still using
the software after 6 months.

-mouser

> License keys can be obtained at no cost. Even these apps ARE freeware.
> Apps that require a license key are even eligable for pricelessware.
> Donationcoder apps differ only in how the license key scheme works
> (expiring after 6 months but renewable, permanent after 12 months,
> which means that you have to sign up 3 times to get a permanent key).

John Fitzsimons

Nov 27, 2006, 5:58:36 PM11/27/06
wrote:

>Honest Question:

>I've noticed a lot of freeware listing sites (for example Bear Bottoms
>site - nice list by the way!), don't seem to have any problem with
>referring to a reduced-functionality version of a shareware program as
>freeware.

Plenty of sites call adware, crippleware, demoware etc. programs
"freeware" too. Such items will still not be called "freeware" here.
Whatever a web site says.

>That is, company X makes a shareware program, and then a "lite" version
>of the program with some features not enabled, and makes this available
>for free.

Referring to what web sites do/don't do has nothing to do with what
happens in this newsgroup.

>Do you think people would feel more comfortable with the freeware label
>on license-key-needing programs of DonationCoder.com, if without a
>license key they simply didn't enable some features? That is, there
>would be no expiration date on using the program or any nag messages,
>just certain features not enabled until you register for the free
>license key or donate.

If you release crippleware then people here are going to call it
crippleware. Not freeware.

IF on the other hand you remove the items that don't work, and give
away the program(s), then they will probably be called freeware here.
Even though there is another version of the program(s) that is/are
payware.

>Or is there some disagreement here with calling these "lite" versions
>of programs freeware?

If they are crippled and have items that don't work then they will not
be called freeware here. They will be called cripplware.

If the non working items are removed and the programs work okay, but
with a limited feature set, then they would probably be termed
freeware.

>Personally I've always felt a bit annoyed by the
>lite versions, but i'm not sure that's based on logic rather than just
>a deep down feeling like i must be missing out on something good :)

What annoys people is items in a program that don't work. If you want
good PR here don't release this type of program.

Regards, John.

Ron May

Nov 27, 2006, 8:27:37 PM11/27/06
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 17:19:03 +0100, "Sietse Fliege"
<change_.inv...@sf.slownet.invalid> wrote:

> The bulk of the donationcoder apps are without condition.
>
> Only the following apps require a license key:

(15 programs listed)

Okay. How many FULL BLOWN STANDALONE FREEWARE PROGRAMS are offered on
the site. I'm not talking "scripts", .bat files, macros, hacks or
.reg files. I'm talking about the number of programs COMPARABLE to
the 15 you listed.

> License keys can be obtained at no cost. Even these apps ARE freeware.
> Apps that require a license key are even eligable for pricelessware.
> Donationcoder apps differ only in how the license key scheme works
> (expiring after 6 months but renewable, permanent after 12 months,
> which means that you have to sign up 3 times to get a permanent key).
>
> The scheme is sufficiently explained on the site.
> Whether the scheme is reasonable or unreasonable is anyone's choice,
> but technically the apps ARE freeware in our glossary's terms.
> Donationcoder.com are rightly calling ALL of them freeware.
> There is no reasonable argument for a crusade.

Let's go to the Ware Glossary, shall we?

You say "technically the apps ARE freeware in our glossary's terms."

If you're going to stretch the glossary terms to that extent when it
comes to freeware, allow me the same liberty with respect to the other
ware definitions:

The 15 programs you mention are:

..."technically" commercial software, because you can "buy" a key to
bypass the registration process.

..."technically" demoware (time limited) if you choose not to register
in the forum and opt for 60 day keys.

..."technically" nagware, because users are "nagged" to make a
donation.

...obviously registerware

...obviously donationware (although you'd be hard pressed to find an
example that pursues the "donation" concept as aggressively.) You
certainly won't find a single Pricelessware selection carrying the
donationware label that does much more than say donations are welcome
and point you to an OPTIONAL pay pal link.

and lastly....

..."technically" SHAREWARE. You don't see it much nowadays, but there
was a time before "donationware" came into wide use that SHAREWARE
authors suggested a shareware payment, perhaps $5, $10 or $15 but not
much more, and if someone decided not to pay, the author still often
allowed the use of the software, sometimes calling it an "unlimited
trial period." While not an exact duplication, it's VERY close to
what DonationCoder seems to be trying to achieve.

Back in the day before all the ware types became common, there were
really only three basic categories:

Freeware, which was totally free without any restriction other than
perhaps against reverse engineeering, requiring ALL the files to be
redistributed intact, and not allowing someone to charge for the
program other than for media and reproduction costs (allowing user
groups to charge a nominal fee for the monthly club disk.)

Shareware, which was NOT totally free. The author expected payment of
some kind. Various methods were employed to encourage payment, but it
was not always mandatory.

Commercial software, usually sold in stores, since "online" access was
generally limited to educational and governmental institutions.

By those three traditional categories, DonationCoder marketing clearly
falls into the shareware category, but to modify a phrease you used in
the paragraph below, "maybe you have not been long enough" familiar
with the way it used to be for you "to know about that."

> When in this group an app is recommended that is technically freeware
> but there is a condition like having to obtain a license key then the
> person that recommends it is expected to mention the condition.
> Which is what Hengist_Ludd did when he mentioned ScreenShot Captor.
> Every discussion thereafter was unnecessary, especially as we have been
> going over it before a few times (but maybe you have not been long
> enough in this group to know about that).
--

Ron M.

Ron May

Nov 27, 2006, 9:05:18 PM11/27/06
On 27 Nov 2006 07:26:14 -0800, "mouser" <mou...@donationcoder.com>
wrote:

> I find the pricelessware glossary extremely helpfull, even if i
> disagree with it on rare occasions. but one of the confusions i have
> is that the terms don't seem to me to be orthogonal (exclusive) even
> though they are presented as such.
>
> For example, using your terminology, Is liteware also classified as
> freeware?
> or would you say that a liteware program is by definition NOT freeware?

From the same reference (the Ware Glossary): "Several ware types may
be used when describing a program" Specifically, a program can be
both "freeware" and "liteware." There are some mutually exclusive
definitions. A program can't be both "liteware" and "crippleware" or
"freeware" and "shareware." You can get a feel for how the terms are
generally applied to specific programs here:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2007/2007PL-Nominations.php

Also, although the page below talks specifically about eligibility for
the Pricelessware list, the subheading "Eligibility for Nomination"
gives a good feel for what ACF participants consider freeware and NOT
freeware:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2007/2007PL-Procedures.php

> I agree with you that if you cripple key functionality like saving,
> then it's basically like a crippled trial, no matter if it's free or
> not. But what if it's a usable feature-reduced version? Certainly
> it's "liteware", but is it also reasonably called freeware?

I'll refer you back to the first link. There are about 40-odd
"liteware" listings (PLEASE don't ask how I know - inside joke.) They
are all very good examples of "liteware" that is also "freeware."

You should be familiar with many of them, and you can see and compare
the differences between "lite" and "full" versions at the various
author sites. If you do use the "liteware" approach, you should
consider shooting for the middle of the road in that regard. With
enough research, you'll see that the "liteware" programs are truly
fully functional on their own, but the "full" or "pro" versions are
usually feature-rich with extras rather than basics.

--
Ron M.

Sietse Fliege

Nov 27, 2006, 11:39:16 PM11/27/06
Ron May wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 17:19:03 +0100, "Sietse Fliege"
> <change_.inv...@sf.slownet.invalid> wrote:
>
>> The bulk of the donationcoder apps are without condition.
>>
>> Only the following apps require a license key:
>>
> (15 programs listed)
>
> Okay. How many FULL BLOWN STANDALONE FREEWARE PROGRAMS are offered on
> the site. I'm not talking "scripts", .bat files, macros, hacks or
> .reg files. I'm talking about the number of programs COMPARABLE to
> the 15 you listed.

I have already told you TWICE that on Skrommel's site alone there are
already 40+ programs. In fact there are probably 70+ and certainly 60+.
I have already provided the link and asked you to go see for yourself.
Not only are they no-install programs, you can also download the source
code (AutoHotkey scripts). Great! Right?
If you want to know exactly how many there are on Skrommel's page and
elsewhere on the site, I will not stop you from finding out yourself.

> Let's go to the Ware Glossary, shall we?

No, we shall not, thank you very much.
I already told you that I do no aspire going through all this again.

Just remember that of the programs that are pricelessware there are some
that are both donationware and registerware.
In this group these are considered to be freeware (with a condition).
The only way in which these 15 apps seem to differ is that after
registering once, you have to visit the site twice (after 6 and 12
months) to automatically obtain a permanent license key for free.
That might mean (I don't know) that they are not eligable for
Pricelessware, but it does not make them off topic for many of us.
Btw, compare e.g. Avast! which is Pricelessware and at the same time:
Liteware, Registerware:keyed, Trialware:time limited (1 year) renewable.
See: http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2007/2007PL-Nominations.php

End of discussion from my side.

--
Cheers,
Sietse Fliege

Elf Wizard

Nov 28, 2006, 1:45:18 AM11/28/06

Hi! :-)

I really like Mouser's programs and I had recommend them to a lot of
people at past. Free registration (even 3 times) don't bothers me at
all. I really like to exchanging opinions with other peoples at Forums.
I don't see the reason why we can't call Freeware the Registerware
programs. I'm speaking ofcourse only for free registration (as Mouser's
is).
Anyway, Mouser's programs are full version, no time limited (after
registration) and malware free.
I understand that many people really hates registrations, even free
ones. They don't have to do it. I never heard a complaint, that Mouser
raiding houses, with a gun on his hand, and telling people : "You fu...
bast.... Install my programs or die." :-)
The only thing, that they had to do, is just choose another program,
from another author, with another licence.
But please let the rest of us, to make a decision for ourselves (if we
like or not registerware programs).
If someone has privacy concerns, just don't put his primary mail
address, on forum registrations or maillists.
I disagree too, with the shareware label, for Mouser's programs. e.g.
Ashampoo has shareware programs (I'm not speaking for Burning Studio).
Their very first policy, was "free monthly registration, for the
eternity". Even if you liked a particular program, reregistering every
month is very very annoying. That's what shareware is. I really don't
see any similarities with Mouser's registration.

Anyway, all disagreements are respectable, but please let people to
create opinion each one for himself.
I don't wrote to disagree with other people, I just wanted to express
my personal opinion.

Thank You Very Much!!!
Giorgos. :-)