Adobe Flash Player Distribution

s|b

Mar 10, 2016, 4:43:24 PM3/10/16
Adobe Flash Player Distribution
<https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/>

Page still works. It was supposed to be terminated on March 1.

--
s|b

John Corliss

Mar 10, 2016, 5:02:44 PM3/10/16
Interesting. Maybe Adobe realized that it may have a negative effect on
use of the plugin but doesn't want to admit it. Or maybe they forgot to
turn it off.

--
John Corliss BS206. No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, share,
spy, time-limited, trial or web wares. No warez for me either please:

I filter out any messages to this newsgroup which come from Google
Groups and recommend that you do likewise.

VanguardLH

Mar 10, 2016, 5:43:10 PM3/10/16
That has been my go-to page to find out what version of Adobe's Flash
was installed in my web browsers along with showing what was the latest
version available.

When I visit a site that claims that I need a later version of Flash, I
do NOT use their link. Who knows to where I would end up or what got
downloaded. Instead I only use their alert (sometimes bogus because
their table of version ranges is incomplete) to go visit Adobe's about
page to see what I have compared to what is currently available from
Adobe.

Why would Adobe have to expire:
- A test page?
- A page that shows your current version?
- A page showing the latest available released versions?

Where did you read that Adobe was going to remove (expire) this web page
from their web server?

Joe

Mar 10, 2016, 7:04:07 PM3/10/16
On 10/03/2016, 17:05:07, FredW wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 22:43:26 +0100, "s|b" <m...@privacy.invalid> wrote:

[snip]

> I assume you are talking about this page?
> https://www.adobe.com/uk/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html
> Download via this page no longer available.

Works for me. Can't figure out why it does for me and not for others.
Could have something to do with my location?

---

Shadow

Mar 11, 2016, 8:44:41 AM3/11/16
On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 14:36:47 +0100, FredW <fr...@ninmule.invalid>
wrote:

>On 11 Mar 2016 00:04:02 GMT, "Joe" <vo...@void.invalid> wrote:
>>On 10/03/2016, 17:05:07, FredW wrote:
>>> On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 22:43:26 +0100, "s|b" <m...@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>[snip]
>>>

>>> I assume you are talking about this page?
>>> https://www.adobe.com/uk/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html
>>> Download via this page no longer available.
>>

>>Works for me. Can't figure out why it does for me and not for others.
>>Could have something to do with my location?
>

>Yesterday only old versions for WinXP were available.
>Today downloads available as before 1st March.

They have to make Win XP vulnerable somehow .... so far every
attempt has failed.
Do you REALLY have Flash installed ?
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

s|b

Mar 11, 2016, 4:03:17 PM3/11/16
On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 23:05:07 +0100, FredW wrote:

> I assume you are talking about this page?
> https://www.adobe.com/uk/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html
> Download via this page no longer available.

I meant
<https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html>
and download still works. I just tested.

--
s|b

s|b

Mar 11, 2016, 4:05:30 PM3/11/16
On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 22:43:26 +0100, s|b wrote:

> Adobe Flash Player Distribution
> <https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/>

It seems everybody knew that I meant another URL, but just to be clear,
I meant this one:
<https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html>

> Page still works. It was supposed to be terminated on March 1.

As FredW already pointed out, they changed the text: "This page and the
download links will *soon* be decommissioned". "soon" instead of March 1
2016.

But it still works. Just tested it.

--
s|b

VanguardLH

Mar 11, 2016, 6:23:31 PM3/11/16
s|b wrote on 2016/03/11:

> <https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html>

WARNING

This page and the download links will soon be decommissioned and will
be replaced by a new Adobe Flash Player distribution portal that will
require a valid distribution license to access.

Looks like they are locking down who can *re*distribute their binaries
to those that already have a license/contract with them. As for getting
a download of the Flash installer rather than use the web installer, I
go to:

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

Make sure to DESELECT their bundleware offer (sometimes Google Chrome,
sometimes McAfee stuff, sometimes something else). If you have a popup
blocker enabled, you may need to temporarily disable it when you click
on their Download Now button.

Are you actually redistributing their Flash installer or just retrieving
and archiving it for your own personal use?

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Mar 12, 2016, 3:22:18 AM3/12/16
I was using the enterprise page. But it seems that Adobe is going to
limit its access.

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Mar 12, 2016, 3:22:54 AM3/12/16
On 3/12/2016 5:05 AM, s|b wrote:

> <https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html>
> As FredW already pointed out, they changed the text: "This page and the
> download links will *soon* be decommissioned". "soon" instead of March 1
> 2016.

+1 here!

John Corliss

Mar 12, 2016, 4:50:58 AM3/12/16
VanguardLH wrote:
> s|b wrote wrote:
>
>> <https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html>
>
> WARNING
>
> This page and the download links will soon be decommissioned and will
> be replaced by a new Adobe Flash Player distribution portal that will
> require a valid distribution license to access.
>
> Looks like they are locking down who can *re*distribute their binaries
> to those that already have a license/contract with them. As for getting
> a download of the Flash installer rather than use the web installer, I
> go to:
>
> https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

Thanks for posting that, but even though it says "18.9 MB" all I'm able
to get from there is the 1.1mb online installer file.

Since it's beyond difficult to contact Adobe about the problem (probably
they don't care anyway) AND because the online installer route simply
doesn't work on my computer (has been locking up and not installing
anything for current and many versions back), looks like that's it for
Adobe Flash on my system.

Just as well anyway, I'm sure.

John Corliss

Mar 12, 2016, 4:55:44 AM3/12/16
John Corliss wrote:
> VanguardLH wrote:
>> s|b wrote wrote:
>>
>>> <https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html>
>>
>> WARNING
>>
>> This page and the download links will soon be decommissioned and will
>> be replaced by a new Adobe Flash Player distribution portal that will
>> require a valid distribution license to access.
>>
>> Looks like they are locking down who can *re*distribute their binaries
>> to those that already have a license/contract with them. As for getting
>> a download of the Flash installer rather than use the web installer, I
>> go to:
>>
>> https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/
>
> Thanks for posting that, but even though it says "18.9 MB" all I'm able
> to get from there is the 1.1mb online installer file.
>
> Since it's beyond difficult to contact Adobe about the problem (probably
> they don't care anyway) AND because the online installer route simply
> doesn't work on my computer (has been locking up and not installing
> anything for current and many versions back), looks like that's it for
> Adobe Flash on my system.
>
> Just as well anyway, I'm sure.

Guess I spoke too soon. This page:

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html

has links to the full installer down at the bottom.

s|b

Mar 12, 2016, 8:59:06 AM3/12/16
On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 17:23:22 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

> Are you actually redistributing their Flash installer or just retrieving
> and archiving it for your own personal use?

The latter.

--
s|b

VanguardLH

Mar 12, 2016, 7:59:12 PM3/12/16
John Corliss wrote on 2016/03/12:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> As for getting a download of the Flash installer rather than use the
>> web installer, I go to:
>>
>> https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/
>
> Thanks for posting that, but even though it says "18.9 MB" all I'm
> able to get from there is the 1.1mb online installer file.

Hmm, looks like they want to push to you their web installer; i.e.,
their small installer phones home to pull down the rest of the payload.

VanguardLH

Mar 12, 2016, 8:32:48 PM3/12/16
John Corliss wrote on 2016/03/12:

> https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html
>
> has links to the full installer down at the bottom.

Takes a ton of navigation through their site to find that page.

adobe.com
\__ hamburger icon
\__ Learn & Support
\__ Get Support, Start now
\__ Flash Player help
\__ Scroll to "Still having problems?"
\__ Pick a link.

Only by clicking on the "Installation problems for Windows 7 and older"
did I then get the same page you cited above (under yet another "Still
having problems?" section). The problem I have is with the ridiculous
amount of navigation needed to find a page with the full downloads.

If they are going to discard their web page for [re]distributing their
binaries at:

https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html

I wonder if they will end up modifying the page you found or sliding in
a different one to prevent getting the full installers that way.

I'll bookmark the page you found. Hopefully it will continue to work
even after they expire the other page.

VanguardLH

Mar 12, 2016, 8:34:28 PM3/12/16
s|b wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Are you actually redistributing their Flash installer or just retrieving
>> and archiving it for your own personal use?
>
> The latter.

As Corliss pointed out, you end up only getting the 1.1MB web installer
file; i.e., it phones home to download the rest of the files. He did
find a different web page that has links to the full downloads. I've
bookmarked that page but will have to see if they change that page after
they expire the one you noted.

John Corliss

Mar 13, 2016, 4:48:51 AM3/13/16
VanguardLH wrote:
> John Corliss wrote2:
>
>> https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html
>>
>> has links to the full installer down at the bottom.
>
> Takes a ton of navigation through their site to find that page.
>
> adobe.com
> \__ hamburger icon
> \__ Learn & Support
> \__ Get Support, Start now
> \__ Flash Player help
> \__ Scroll to "Still having problems?"
> \__ Pick a link.
>
> Only by clicking on the "Installation problems for Windows 7 and older"
> did I then get the same page you cited above (under yet another "Still
> having problems?" section). The problem I have is with the ridiculous
> amount of navigation needed to find a page with the full downloads.

I found it by Googling for the offline installer download.

> If they are going to discard their web page for [re]distributing their
> binaries at:
>
> https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html
>
> I wonder if they will end up modifying the page you found or sliding in
> a different one to prevent getting the full installers that way.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

> I'll bookmark the page you found. Hopefully it will continue to work
> even after they expire the other page.

Same here.

John Corliss

Mar 13, 2016, 4:53:23 AM3/13/16
VanguardLH wrote:
And the irony is that (at least on my system) their offline installers
don't work.

s|b

Mar 13, 2016, 6:30:30 AM3/13/16
On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 19:34:19 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

> As Corliss pointed out, you end up only getting the 1.1MB web installer
> file; i.e., it phones home to download the rest of the files.

No, you don't. The URL in the OP is wrong; I meant this one:
<https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html>
where you can still download full installers.

> He did
> find a different web page that has links to the full downloads. I've
> bookmarked that page but will have to see if they change that page after
> they expire the one you noted.

It's bookmarked, just in case.

--
s|b

VanguardLH

Mar 13, 2016, 1:06:20 PM3/13/16
John Corliss wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> John Corliss wrote:

>>> Thanks for posting that, but even though it says "18.9 MB" all I'm
>>> able to get from there is the 1.1mb online installer file.
>>
>> Hmm, looks like they want to push to you their web installer; i.e.,
>> their small installer phones home to pull down the rest of the payload.
>
> And the irony is that (at least on my system) their offline installers
> don't work.

I found that I have to exit the target web browser for the web installer
to work. I have to download the web installer, exit the web browser,
and then run their web installer. An inplace upgrade with the web
browser loaded usually fails for me.

I also found that their web installer will delete its own file. When it
completes (or fails) the installation, it deletes its installer file.
Because it can fail, I have to make a copy of the downloaded file before
running it. If it fails, I make a copy of the copy and run the first
copy. I don't remember if the full installer does that.

John Corliss

Mar 13, 2016, 3:42:04 PM3/13/16
VanguardLH wrote:
> John Corliss wrote:
>> VanguardLH wrote:

>>> Hmm, looks like they want to push to you their web installer; i.e.,
>>> their small installer phones home to pull down the rest of the payload.
>>
>> And the irony is that (at least on my system) their offline installers
>> don't work.
>
> I found that I have to exit the target web browser for the web installer
> to work. I have to download the web installer, exit the web browser,
> and then run their web installer. An inplace upgrade with the web
> browser loaded usually fails for me.

Yes, I always close down all open programs, including my browser
(Firefox) before attempting to run the online installer.

> I also found that their web installer will delete its own file. When it
> completes (or fails) the installation, it deletes its installer file.
> Because it can fail, I have to make a copy of the downloaded file before
> running it. If it fails, I make a copy of the copy and run the first
> copy. I don't remember if the full installer does that.

Maybe Adobe hasn't tried using their installers on an XP system. OTOH,
maybe it's just something unique to my system.