New version of DVDFlick and problem with old version.

John Corliss

Feb 1, 2010, 5:17:03 AM2/1/10
Today I was looking at the Snapfiles freeware updates list:

http://www.snapfiles.com/whatsnewfw.html

and noticed that there's a new version (1.3.0.7 ) of DVDFlick:

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/dvdflick/dvdflick.html

I decided to run my copy of DVDFlick to see what version it is and to my
surprise, I got an error message which said (partially) "An error
occured during startup. Number 429 from dvdflick:" and referred to me
"not having the correct license to run that function" or somesuch.

After a few quick Googles, I found this site:

http://www.dvdflick.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1207&p=5453#p8089

and noticed the post by Opaquit down towards the bottom of the page. To
that post was attached a simple batch file:

http://www.opaquit.com/blog.en/stuff/dwnld/DVDFlick_fix.zip

that re-registered the program libraries and OCX components. I
downloaded it and edited the batch file as per these instructions:

> Note that the file was made for 64-bit Vista, if you use the 32-bit
> version, you'll probably need to manually change all references to
> "syswow64" into "system32".

Despite the fact that I'm running XP Home SP3 instead of Vista, this
batch file fixed the problem and my copy of DVDFlick works normally
again. I haven't dealt with the update yet though. Here's the home page
for the program:

http://www.dvdflick.net/

DVDFlick is a program that "can take a number of video files stored on
your computer and turn them into a DVD that will play back on your DVD
player, Media Center or Home Cinema Set. You can add additional custom
audio tracks, subtitles as well as a menu for easier navigation."

--
John Corliss BS206. I block all Google Groups posts due to Googlespam,
and as many posts from anonymous remailers (like x-privat.org for eg.)

No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, share, spy, time-limited,
trial or web wares OR warez for me, please.

Ian Jackson

Feb 1, 2010, 9:13:21 AM2/1/10
In message <ycOdnZBK2Iq8N_vW...@posted.ccountrynet>, John
Corliss <q34w...@yahoo.com> writes

>Today I was looking at the Snapfiles freeware updates list:
>
> http://www.snapfiles.com/whatsnewfw.html
>
>and noticed that there's a new version (1.3.0.7 ) of DVDFlick:
>
> http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/dvdflick/dvdflick.html
>
>I decided to run my copy of DVDFlick to see what version it is and to
>my surprise, I got an error message which said (partially) "An error
>occured during startup. Number 429 from dvdflick:" and referred to me
>"not having the correct license to run that function" or somesuch.

Around Christmas, I has something similar with the latest version of
Kate's Video Cutter. It insisted in asking for a Registration Key, which
I didn't have.

Somewhere (maybe during the installation?) it would not proceed without
the key, and it wasn't obvious how to get one. Fortunately, I still had
the previous version, and that worked normally. I haven't checked to see
if this problem has gone away.

The problem version is V4.4, from
<http://download.cnet.com/Kate-s-Video-Cutter/3000-2140_4-10637930.html>
This claims to be "a bug-fixing release".
The version which worked was V4.0.0.15. This doesn't seem to be
available any more.
--
Ian

Susan Bugher

Feb 1, 2010, 9:55:50 AM2/1/10

A new to me app so I checked the web site.
<http://www.fakewebcam.com/products.asp>
"Kate's Video Convertor (free beta)"
My hunch is it will soon become Shareware.

re obtaining v 4.0.0.15
<http://www.fyxm.net/download-now-Kate's-Video-Cutter-Multimedia-Video-Video-Editors-32132.html>
"Thank you for downloading Kate's Video Cutter 4.0.15.
This file is hosted on our servers."
http://download.fyxm.net/32/32132/vfcssetup.exe
(9824 KB)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Ian Jackson

Feb 1, 2010, 10:36:20 AM2/1/10
In message <7so869...@mid.individual.net>, Susan Bugher
<sebu...@yahoo.com> writes

>Ian Jackson wrote:
>> In message <ycOdnZBK2Iq8N_vW...@posted.ccountrynet>,
>>John Corliss <q34w...@yahoo.com> writes
>
>>> Today I was looking at the Snapfiles freeware updates list:
>>>
>>> http://www.snapfiles.com/whatsnewfw.html
>>>
>>> and noticed that there's a new version (1.3.0.7 ) of DVDFlick:
>>>
>>> http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/dvdflick/dvdflick.html
>>>
>>> I decided to run my copy of DVDFlick to see what version it is and
>>>to my surprise, I got an error message which said (partially) "An
>>>error occured during startup. Number 429 from dvdflick:" and referred

Ah, yes. It all comes back to me now. That's what happened. It somehow
has got mixed up with that 'FakeWebCam' site. But at least the older
version is still available (for the moment).

However, there are some what appear to be V2 versions here:
<http://www.bestsoftware4download.com/software/t-free-kate-s-video-cutter
-free--download-oqwhanzb.html>
but I note that V2.28 was released on 14 Jan 2010 - so it isn't old! So
why the Version 4s? I'll try V2.28 when I get a minute.

If you haven't yet tried it, I recall that Kate's Video Joiner also
works very well (but it's a while since I used it).
--
Ian

Wheel

Feb 1, 2010, 11:51:03 AM2/1/10
Susan Bugher wrote:
> Ian Jackson wrote:

>> Around Christmas, I has something similar with the latest version of
>> Kate's Video Cutter. It insisted in asking for a Registration Key,
>> which I didn't have.

>> The problem version is V4.4, from

>> <http://download.cnet.com/Kate-s-Video-Cutter/3000-2140_4-10637930.html>
>> This claims to be "a bug-fixing release".
>> The version which worked was V4.0.0.15. This doesn't seem to be
>> available any more.
>
> A new to me app so I checked the web site.
> <http://www.fakewebcam.com/products.asp>
> "Kate's Video Convertor (free beta)"
> My hunch is it will soon become Shareware.
>
> re obtaining v 4.0.0.15
> <http://www.fyxm.net/download-now-Kate's-Video-Cutter-Multimedia-Video-Video-Editors-32132.html>
>
> "Thank you for downloading Kate's Video Cutter 4.0.15.
> This file is hosted on our servers."
> http://download.fyxm.net/32/32132/vfcssetup.exe
> (9824 KB)

Through curiosity, I downloaded the file using the two links provided,
which are identical. When executed (vfcssetup.exe), its initial screen
reads:

<q>
Welcome to Kate's Video
Cutter Setup Wizard

This will install Kate's Video Cutter 4.4.0 on your computer.

It is recommended... ...
</q>

Went no further; cancelling out.

John Corliss

Feb 1, 2010, 12:49:02 PM2/1/10
Ian Jackson wrote:

> John Corliss wrote:
>> After a few quick Googles, I found this site:
>>
>> http://www.dvdflick.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1207&p=5453#p8089
>>
>> and noticed the post by Opaquit down towards the bottom of the page. To
>> that post was attached a simple batch file:
>>
>> http://www.opaquit.com/blog.en/stuff/dwnld/DVDFlick_fix.zip
>>
>> that re-registered the program libraries and OCX components. I
>> downloaded it and edited the batch file as per these instructions:
>>
>>> Note that the file was made for 64-bit Vista, if you use the 32-bit
>>> version, you'll probably need to manually change all references to
>>> "syswow64" into "system32".
>>
>> Despite the fact that I'm running XP Home SP3 instead of Vista, this
>> batch file fixed the problem and my copy of DVDFlick works normally
>> again. I haven't dealt with the update yet though. Here's the home page
>> for the program:
>>
>> http://www.dvdflick.net/
>>
>> DVDFlick is a program that "can take a number of video files stored on
>> your computer and turn them into a DVD that will play back on your DVD
>> player, Media Center or Home Cinema Set. You can add additional custom
>> audio tracks, subtitles as well as a menu for easier navigation."
>
> Around Christmas, I has something similar with the latest version of
> Kate's Video Cutter. It insisted in asking for a Registration Key, which
> I didn't have.

Yes, but DVDFlick is open source software:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdflick

There is no license involved in it's use other than the GNU General
Public License.

The question then, is how those "program libraries and OCX components"
got unregistered in the first place.

s|b

Feb 1, 2010, 1:10:59 PM2/1/10
On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 02:17:03 -0800, John Corliss wrote:

> Today I was looking at the Snapfiles freeware updates list:
>
> http://www.snapfiles.com/whatsnewfw.html
>
> and noticed that there's a new version (1.3.0.7 ) of DVDFlick:

I've downloaded 1.3.0.7 _last year_. June 28 to be exact.

--
s|b

Susan Bugher

Feb 1, 2010, 3:14:50 PM2/1/10

Good call. I had noticed that the two files were *about* the same size
(started DLs from both sites) but didn't want to invest the time
required to download either one completely on dial-up. I decided to
believe what it said on the fyxm.net web page. Silly me. . .

Thanks Wheel. :)

Ian Jackson

Feb 1, 2010, 4:04:08 PM2/1/10
In message <7soqsd...@mid.individual.net>, Susan Bugher
<sebu...@yahoo.com> writes

>Wheel wrote:
>> Susan Bugher wrote:

V4.4 definitely doesn't work. I uninstalled V4.0.0.15, and re-installed
the 'registration key' V4.4.0 (download here):
<http://download.cnet.com/Kate-s-Video-Cutter/3000-2140_4-10637930.html>
which leads to

<http://download.cnet.com/3001-2140_4-10637930.html?spi=ad6084dfd7ef8df8e
0c89514cd83335c>

and, if the download doesn't start, 'click here' leads to:

<http://software-files-l.cnet.com/s/software/11/04/31/38/vfcssetup.exe?e=
1265078236&h=d9aef6d3fc4dfe2a088a10d649d49cc1&lop=link&ptype=1901&ontid=2
140&siteId=4&edId=3&spi=2795fe81b6ad70c5f9fadaba7f20ab4d&pid=11043138&psi
d=10637930&fileName=vfcssetup.exe>

The installation goes OK, and all seems fine. However, when it's
finished, and you go on to run Kate's Video Cutter for the first time,
THAT is when you get asked for the Registration Key. And no key - no go.
--
Ian

Susan Bugher

Feb 1, 2010, 4:37:19 PM2/1/10
Ian Jackson wrote:
> In message <7so869...@mid.individual.net>, Susan Bugher
> <sebu...@yahoo.com> writes

>> A new to me app so I checked the web site.

>> <http://www.fakewebcam.com/products.asp>
>> "Kate's Video Convertor (free beta)"
>> My hunch is it will soon become Shareware.
>>
>> re obtaining v 4.0.0.15
>> <http://www.fyxm.net/download-now-Kate's-Video-Cutter-Multimedia-Video-V
>> ideo-Editors-32132.html>
>> "Thank you for downloading Kate's Video Cutter 4.0.15.
>> This file is hosted on our servers."
>> http://download.fyxm.net/32/32132/vfcssetup.exe
>> (9824 KB)

but alas, the file is *really* v 4.4

> Ah, yes. It all comes back to me now. That's what happened. It somehow

> has got mixed up with that 'FakeWebCam' site. <snip>

That app has the "home" web site for the app.

> However, there are some what appear to be V2 versions here:
> <http://www.bestsoftware4download.com/software/t-free-kate-s-video-cutter
> -free--download-oqwhanzb.html>
> but I note that V2.28 was released on 14 Jan 2010 - so it isn't old! So
> why the Version 4s? I'll try V2.28 when I get a minute.

Dates shown on a download site are suspect. I used to think I could
infer that the file was released on or before (sometimes
wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy before) the date shown but alas I've found that even
that isn't always true.

> If you haven't yet tried it, I recall that Kate's Video Joiner also
> works very well (but it's a while since I used it).

That app has the same "home" web site.
<http://www.fakewebcam.com/products.asp>
"Kate's Video Joiner (free beta)"
<http://www.fakewebcam.com/vfcj.asp>
"Kate's Video Joiner (Download)"
<http://download.cnet.com/Kate-s-Video-Joiner/3000-2194_4-193602.html>
"Kate's Video Joiner 4.4"

A couple of

Ian Jackson

Feb 1, 2010, 4:56:19 PM2/1/10
In message <MNzmITLI...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk>, Ian Jackson
<ianREMOVET...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk> writes

And.....

I've now tried V2.28, from
<http://www.bestsoftware4download.com/software/t-free-kate-s-video-cutter
-free--download-oqwhanzb.html>
When you install it, it is obvious that V2.28 is V4.4, and again asks
for the Registration Key when you launch Kate's Video Cutter.

If you click on the 'Buy' button, you get taken to the FakeWebCam site
again:

http://www.fakewebcam.com/buyNow.aspx?Regcode=39562-33401953-6&Email=
(and here follows a lot of your personal information, including name,
email address etc which has been dug out of you PC without you having
been asked).

There is no mention of buying Kate's Video Cutter, but you ARE offered a
choice of four others (Fake Webcam, Webcam and Screen Recorder, Kate's
Video Toolkit and Fake Voice) - all at $19.95.

So, it would appear that Kate's Video Cutter V2.28 (or V4.4) is not free
at all. So again, back to V4.0.0.15.
--
Ian

Susan Bugher

Feb 1, 2010, 5:01:03 PM2/1/10
Ian Jackson wrote:
> In message <7so869...@mid.individual.net>, Susan Bugher
> <sebu...@yahoo.com> writes

>> A new to me app so I checked the web site.

>> <http://www.fakewebcam.com/products.asp>
>> "Kate's Video Convertor (free beta)"
>> My hunch is it will soon become Shareware.
>>
>> re obtaining v 4.0.0.15
>> <http://www.fyxm.net/download-now-Kate's-Video-Cutter-Multimedia-Video-V
>> ideo-Editors-32132.html>
>> "Thank you for downloading Kate's Video Cutter 4.0.15.
>> This file is hosted on our servers."
>> http://download.fyxm.net/32/32132/vfcssetup.exe
>> (9824 KB)

but alas, the file is NOT version 4.0.0.15

> Ah, yes. It all comes back to me now. That's what happened. It somehow

> has got mixed up with that 'FakeWebCam' site. <snip>

That's the "home" web site for the app.

> However, there are some what appear to be V2 versions here:
> <http://www.bestsoftware4download.com/software/t-free-kate-s-video-cutter
> -free--download-oqwhanzb.html>
> but I note that V2.28 was released on 14 Jan 2010 - so it isn't old! So
> why the Version 4s? I'll try V2.28 when I get a minute.

Dates shown on a download site are suspect. I used to think I could at
least infer that the file was released on or before (sometimes
wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy before) the date shown. Alas I recently found out that

even that isn't always true.

> If you haven't yet tried it, I recall that Kate's Video Joiner also

> works very well (but it's a while since I used it).

I don't do video stuff. . . yet. . .

That app has the same "home" web site as Kate's Video Cutter.
<http://www.fakewebcam.com/products.asp>

"Kate's Video Joiner (free beta)"
<http://www.fakewebcam.com/vfcj.asp>
"Kate's Video Joiner"

"(Download)" leads to

and who is Kate when she's at home? well. .. .

http://www.fakewebcam.com/download/VFCCPAD.xml
<Program_Name>Kate's Video Converter (free)</Program_Name>
<Author_First_Name>Admin @</Author_First_Name>
<Author_Last_Name>Web Solution Mart</Author_Last_Name>

http://www.fakewebcam.com/download/VFCJPAD.xml
<Program_Name>Kate's Video Joiner (free)</Program_Name>
<Author_First_Name>Admin @</Author_First_Name>
<Author_Last_Name>Web Solution Mart</Author_Last_Name>

FWIW. . .
Web Solution Mart has a web site here:
http://www.websolutionmart.com/

Susan Bugher

Feb 1, 2010, 5:14:07 PM2/1/10
Ian Jackson wrote:

> I've now tried V2.28, from
> <http://www.bestsoftware4download.com/software/t-free-kate-s-video-cutter
> -free--download-oqwhanzb.html>
> When you install it, it is obvious that V2.28 is V4.4, and again asks
> for the Registration Key when you launch Kate's Video Cutter.
>
> If you click on the 'Buy' button, you get taken to the FakeWebCam site
> again:
>
> http://www.fakewebcam.com/buyNow.aspx?Regcode=39562-33401953-6&Email=
> (and here follows a lot of your personal information, including name,
> email address etc which has been dug out of you PC without you having
> been asked).

Yikes!

> There is no mention of buying Kate's Video Cutter, but you ARE offered a
> choice of four others (Fake Webcam, Webcam and Screen Recorder, Kate's
> Video Toolkit and Fake Voice) - all at $19.95.
>
> So, it would appear that Kate's Video Cutter V2.28 (or V4.4) is not free
> at all. So again, back to V4.0.0.15.

Yup, if you find an app you like with a home page on that kind of web
site it's a good idea to archive the file you downloaded. The next
version is often $ware.

Bear Bottoms

Feb 1, 2010, 6:15:33 PM2/1/10
Susan Bugher <sebu...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:7so869F40iU1
@mid.individual.net:

> A new to me app so I checked the web site.
> <http://www.fakewebcam.com/products.asp>
> "Kate's Video Convertor (free beta)"
> My hunch is it will soon become Shareware.

Wrong wrong wrong.

--
Bear Bottoms
Owner of Freeware website: http://bearware.info

Bear Bottoms

Feb 1, 2010, 6:16:08 PM2/1/10
Susan Bugher <sebu...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:7sp1s2F1uhU1
@mid.individual.net:

> Yup, if you find an app you like with a home page on that kind of web
> site it's a good idea to archive the file you downloaded. The next
> version is often $ware.

Wrong wrong wrong.

Anonymous

Feb 2, 2010, 11:54:43 AM2/2/10
Bear Bottoms wrote:

> Susan Bugher <sebu...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:7so869F40iU1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
>> A new to me app so I checked the web site.
>> <http://www.fakewebcam.com/products.asp> "Kate's Video Convertor (free
>> beta)"
>> My hunch is it will soon become Shareware.
>>

> Wrong wrong wrong.

Did you happen to notice that your puppet hummingbird went through this
"wrong wrong wrong" meltdown just before you got so fucking embarrassed
you had to retire it?

Sorry, I just found the fact noteworthy. :)

Lord Possum

Feb 6, 2010, 12:24:59 PM2/6/10
In article <ycOdnZBK2Iq8N_vW...@posted.ccountrynet>,
q34w...@yahoo.com says...
[snip]

> http://www.dvdflick.net/
>
> DVDFlick is a program that "can take a number of video files stored on
> your computer and turn them into a DVD that will play back on your DVD
> player, Media Center or Home Cinema Set. You can add additional custom
> audio tracks, subtitles as well as a menu for easier navigation."

Thanx John for the thorough wring-out on DVDFlick. I'd thought about
trying it.

However, having found WinX DVD Author 5.5, I've been using it with great
satisfaction. It [compared with couple other freebies] seems to do a
more reliable job of actually manufacturing the .BUP, .IFO, and .VOB
files and burning them to the waiting DVD. Others made those files, but
did not provide the additional function of burning to the DVD disc.

Lord Possum

John Corliss

Feb 6, 2010, 2:19:27 PM2/6/10
s|b wrote:
> John Corliss wrote:
>>
>> Today I was looking at the Snapfiles freeware updates list:
>>
>> http://www.snapfiles.com/whatsnewfw.html
>>
>> and noticed that there's a new version (1.3.0.7 ) of DVDFlick:
>
> I've downloaded 1.3.0.7 _last year_. June 28 to be exact.

Apparently they just got listed at Snapfiles on Jan 03, 2010. New
listings are included in the updates listing. My mistake. Please don't
beat me. I'm sorry. It'll never happen again.

M.L.

Feb 6, 2010, 3:14:15 PM2/6/10

>> http://www.dvdflick.net/
>>
>> DVDFlick is a program that "can take a number of video files stored on
>> your computer and turn them into a DVD that will play back on your DVD
>> player, Media Center or Home Cinema Set. You can add additional custom
>> audio tracks, subtitles as well as a menu for easier navigation."

>However, having found WinX DVD Author 5.5, I've been using it with great

>satisfaction. It [compared with couple other freebies] seems to do a
>more reliable job of actually manufacturing the .BUP, .IFO, and .VOB
>files and burning them to the waiting DVD. Others made those files, but
>did not provide the additional function of burning to the DVD disc.

Where did DVD Flick fail with creating BUP, .IFO, .VOB files and
burning them to DVD? I've never had such problems with it.

The free version of WinX DVD Author authors only 5 minutes of video
(making it crippleware) whereas DVD Flick can author an entire video.
I also saw no setting in WinX DVD Author that allows one to upmix from
stereo audio to 5.1 channel surround-sound AC3 audio, which is
something DVD Flick can do.

seab...@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2014, 10:41:31 PM11/16/14

> After a few quick Googles, I found this site:
>
> http://www.dvdflick.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1207&p=5453#p8089
>
> and noticed the post by Opaquit down towards the bottom of the page. To
> that post was attached a simple batch file:
>
> http://www.opaquit.com/blog.en/stuff/dwnld/DVDFlick_fix.zip
>
> that re-registered the program libraries and OCX components. I
> downloaded it and edited the batch file as per these instructions:
>
> > Note that the file was made for 64-bit Vista, if you use the 32-bit
> > version, you'll probably need to manually change all references to
> > "syswow64" into "system32".

This worked great with Win 7 64bit. Thanks!