Convert .mht to .html?

JD

Jul 16, 2010, 2:00:51 AM7/16/10
Hey Experts,

I have just had my first collision with the .mht
and my OS preference Win2K doesn't liike it one bit.

Which is the best freebee to convert .mht files to
.html?

TIA

Mn

Jul 16, 2010, 5:28:43 AM7/16/10

Doesn't seem a Win2K issue. Can you open them in the browser? If so, use
File/Save as... to save it as .html/ .htm or a complete web page with
images etc., Update your IE with all patches, which might be causing this.

"convert .mht files to .html" displays many search results. Under the
below forum, there is a freeware reference, and an interesting work around:
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/31490538/convert-mht-into-html--n.aspx

MHTML Converter 1.1
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/MHTML-Converter-Download-93683.html

--
/ Mohan /

Mike Easter

Jul 16, 2010, 9:30:21 AM7/16/10
JD wrote:

> I have just had my first collision with the .mht and my OS preference
> Win2K doesn't liike it one bit.

What is your browser and version?

--
Mike Easter

hitch

Jul 16, 2010, 3:43:47 PM7/16/10
JD Wrote:

If you're able to save a webpage as .mht in Win2K (IME only IE and other
browsers using the IE engine can do this - FF extensions don't really
work too well) and you have Universal Viewer portable installed to view
them, I can see no reason to change to .html. What exactly is the
problem?

One option is to view the .mht files in your browser (IE or a
derivative) and than try saving them as .html. This should work.
Another option is to use a PDF print driver to print the .mht files to
PDF format from UV or your IE browser. I use 'doPDF' for this.

JD

Jul 17, 2010, 11:50:23 AM7/17/10

Thank you Mn, Mike and hitch.

The first time I saw a .mht file was a week or so
ago. I had no idea what it
was and expected it to be a new Msoft product. I
first hit on it when I found
a program related to linking various Windows OSs -
XP, Win 7, etc together.
I'm glad to see that it's not another big change
to swallow.

Thanks again for your help.

Mike Easter

Jul 17, 2010, 12:23:09 PM7/17/10

The wiki has an article discussing how the various versions of the
various browsers like or dislike .mht

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MHTML

# 1 Web browser support

* 1.1 Internet Explorer
* 1.2 Opera
* 1.3 Firefox
* 1.4 Safari
* 1.5 Konqueror
* 1.6 ACCESS NetFront
* 1.7 Google Chrome

Since .mht was intro/d in '99 with IE5, I'm trying to figure out what
version of which browser which also works with W2K you might be using
which doesn't do .mht.

--
Mike Easter

Nemesis

Jul 17, 2010, 2:18:28 PM7/17/10

My firefox tries downloading .mht files, it refuses to open them.
Version 3.66. I can remember changing any settings with .mht in them.
[]'s

jim.s.witherspoon

Jul 17, 2010, 10:06:09 PM7/17/10
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 18:18:28 +0000 (UTC), Nemesis wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 09:23:09 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:
>

>> [26 quoted lines suppressed]

> My firefox tries downloading .mht files, it refuses to open them.
> Version 3.66. I can remember changing any settings with .mht in them.
> []'s

Here are two Firefox extensions that will let you save and view MHT files
from Firefox.

UnMHT

UnMHT allows you to view MHT (MHTML) web archive format files, and save
complete web pages, including text and graphics, into a single MHT file.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8051/

Mozilla Archive Format (with Faithful Save) 0.19.3

Save exactly what you see, in a single file:
— MAFF (based on ZIP) is compact and exceptional for video and audio
— MHT (Internet Explorer's format) allows easy exchange with IE user

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/212/

Mike Easter

Jul 17, 2010, 11:32:04 PM7/17/10
Nemesis wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> Mike Easter wrote:

>>> What is your browser and version?

>> # 1 Web browser support
>
>> * 1.3 Firefox

>> Since .mht was intro/d in '99 with IE5, I'm trying to figure out what
>> version of which browser which also works with W2K you might be using
>> which doesn't do .mht.
> My firefox tries downloading .mht files, it refuses to open them.
> Version 3.66. I can remember changing any settings with .mht in them.

The article I cited says that native/default FF doesn't support .mht and
we also know that FF will run under W2k (but not W9x without kernelex).

So, there's a possibility. JD might be running FF natively in W2k.

--
Mike Easter