Avast! causes BSOD (a known problem)

RayLopez99

Oct 31, 2013, 4:21:56 AM10/31/13
Avast! Freeware is a problem that causes in Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) "BlueScreen" specifically the page memory error "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT". The problem seems to go away when I switched to AVG AntiVirus Free Edition.

The BSOD problem occurs only when you run Avast! but not Malwarebytes Anti-Malware nor AVG.

What is weird is that Avast! 8 worked fine until today--it worked for about a year--then, coincidentally (?) when I went to Microsoft's site to check for updates after Windows SP1, there was a link, that I did NOT click, that required ActiveX, and only ran in Windows Explorer, to give you the list of updates after SP1 (not install the updates, just give you the list).

My computer is running a $3 copy of Windows 7 I bought in a foreign country (I also have US "legal" copies but am too lazy to reinstall). It works fine, no viruses, but cannot get updates after SP1 (I was checking to see if I could manually install some of these updates, which is a bit risky since some updates install "Windows Genuine Advantage" which will cripple your "non-legal" copy of Windows) . So, is it possible that somehow, when I visited this Microsoft webpage, it secretly installed something in my computer to cripple it, that Avast! choked on? But again, Malwarebytes and AVG are not choking and producing BSOD, so I think it's a coincidence, and besides I did NOT click on the Microsoft link.

Also, a poster here: http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/285740-random-bsod-pfn_list_corrupt.html indicates that Avast! is the cause of this occasional problem. So it's a weird coincidence it happened today? But why today? It would not surprise me if Microsoft silently puts a file in your /Temp folder somewhere that somehow Avast!, for its own reasons, causes a BSOD.

PS--AVG 2013 Free version got a PC Mag seal of approval, for best free AV, for what it's worth.

RL

Ron

Oct 31, 2013, 10:09:22 AM10/31/13
On 10/31/2013 4:21 AM, RayLopez99 wrote:

> My computer is running a $3 copy of Windows 7 I bought in a foreign country

I guess you should have bought the $5.00 copy that lets you install updates.

s|b

Oct 31, 2013, 3:04:34 PM10/31/13
On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 01:21:56 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99 wrote:

> Avast! Freeware is a problem that causes in Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) "BlueScreen" specifically the page memory error "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT". The problem seems to go away when I switched to AVG AntiVirus Free Edition.
>
> The BSOD problem occurs only when you run Avast! but not Malwarebytes Anti-Malware nor AVG.

W7 HP x64 SP1 - all updates installed
avast! Free Antivirus 9.x

No BSOD here...

--
s|b

Mark Warner

Oct 31, 2013, 5:21:17 PM10/31/13
On 10/31/2013 03:04 PM, s|b wrote:

> W7 HP x64 SP1 - all updates installed
> avast! Free Antivirus 9.x
>
> No BSOD here...

Does your computer run a $3 copy of Windows 7 you bought in a foreign
country?

--
Mark Warner
MEPIS Linux

s|b

Oct 31, 2013, 6:12:24 PM10/31/13
On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 17:21:17 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:

> > W7 HP x64 SP1 - all updates installed
> > avast! Free Antivirus 9.x

> > No BSOD here...

> Does your computer run a $3 copy of Windows 7 you bought in a foreign
> country?

I bought the OEM version with my hardware. Paid 99,99 euro for it.

--
s|b
Message has been deleted

Jax

Nov 6, 2013, 12:06:49 PM11/6/13
Dustin <abugh...@gmail.com> wrote in

> RayLopez99 <raylo...@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Avast! Freeware is a problem that causes in Windows 7 Professional,
>> Service Pack 1, a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) "BlueScreen" specifically
>> the page memory error "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT". The problem seems to go away
>> when I switched to AVG AntiVirus Free Edition.
>>
>> The BSOD problem occurs only when you run Avast! but not Malwarebytes
>> Anti-Malware nor AVG.
>
> You still don't get it eh? Malwarebytes is NOT an antivirus... Dumb
> shit.
>
>> My computer is running a $3 copy of Windows 7 I bought in a foreign
>> country (I also have US "legal" copies but am too lazy to reinstall).
>> It works fine, no viruses, but cannot get updates after SP1 (I was
>> checking to see if I could manually install some of these updates,
>> which is a bit risky since some updates install "Windows Genuine
>> Advantage" which will cripple your "non-legal" copy of Windows) . So,
>> is it possible that somehow, when I visited this Microsoft webpage, it
>> secretly installed something in my computer to cripple it, that Avast!
>> choked on? But again, Malwarebytes and AVG are not choking and
>> producing BSOD, so I think it's a coincidence, and besides I did NOT
>> click on the Microsoft link.
>
> Malwarebytes is NOT antivirus, you gobshite stupid little fucker...
>
>> PS--AVG 2013 Free version got a PC Mag seal of approval, for best free
>> AV, for what it's worth.
>
> LOL. I don't give a fuck what PcMag thinks. Most IT people who aren't
> still teenagers quit buying into the BULLSHIT Pcmagazine publishes,
> years ago.
>
> I personally won't help you out here, as you've admitted to running a
> warez copy of windows 7 (cheap bastard aren't you?). Have fun!

Dustin you're the cheapskate! Don't you remember you wrote this last week
about your keyboard?... http://i.imgur.com/U03MUnY.jpg

--
Jax

RayLopez99

Nov 9, 2013, 8:05:03 AM11/9/13
On Thursday, November 7, 2013 1:06:49 AM UTC+8, Jax wrote:

[about Dustbin being a retard]

Yeah, got that right.

I skimmed a book called "hacker" or some such that got into C language and assembly language code for writing a simple virus. The author explained some of the code, better than Dustbin could, but still not adequately (and I code using C# quite well). Seems these guys don't know what they are doing, but just do it, and then brag about it. No discipline.

Also it seems that most of the unsophisticated viruses written by Dustin and his cohorts from 20 years ago are child's play today (they play around with the environment label, LOL I remember setting that years ago in DOS/Windows). Today, real programmers write ransomeware such as the kind making the rounds now that will, if your external drive backup is connected to your PC, encrypt the backup so that you cannot even restore to a previous state without paying the ransom. That's light years ahead of the copy-and-paste viruses that Dustin and his kind ever wrote. And of course real malware programmers work for the Russian mafia, use Tor, and don't ever post here.

RL

FromTheRafters

Nov 9, 2013, 9:29:00 AM11/9/13
RayLopez99 expressed precisely :

[...]

> Today, real programmers write ransomeware such as the kind making the rounds
> now that will, if your external drive backup is connected to your PC, encrypt
> the backup so that you cannot even restore to a previous state without paying
> the ransom.

Can you back up that assertion?

Buffalo

Nov 9, 2013, 11:09:20 AM11/9/13
No, but he can barely back-up his tricycle. :)
--
Buffalo

Message has been deleted

Jax

Nov 19, 2013, 4:56:47 PM11/19/13

> RayLopez99 <raylo...@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> I skimmed a book called "hacker" or some such that got into C language
>> and assembly language code for writing a simple virus. The author
>> explained some of the code, better than Dustbin could, but still not
>> adequately (and I code using C# quite well). Seems these guys don't
>> know what they are doing, but just do it, and then brag about it. No
>> discipline.
>
> You need to re-read the book then. We know what we're doing and why. And
> if you were a decent coder in any language, you'd have no problems
> understanding HOW A PREPENDER WORKS. The name gives it away... This
> isn't rocket science.
>
>> Also it seems that most of the unsophisticated viruses written by
>> Dustin and his cohorts from 20 years ago are child's play today (they
>> play around with the environment label, LOL I remember setting that
>> years ago in DOS/Windows). Today, real programmers write ransomeware
>> such as the kind making the rounds now that will, if your external
>> drive backup is connected to your PC, encrypt the backup so that you
>> cannot even restore to a previous state without paying the ransom.
>> That's light years ahead of the copy-and-paste viruses that Dustin and
>> his kind ever wrote. And of course real malware programmers work for
>> the Russian mafia, use Tor, and don't ever post here.
>
> Actually, irok contained more lines of code. It wasn't a simplistic
> trojan that outsourced it's work. :)

Irok contains more lines of code than Avast? LOL! :)

--
Jax
Message has been deleted

Shadow

Nov 20, 2013, 5:02:23 AM11/20/13
<raylo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>PS--AVG 2013 Free version got a PC Mag seal of approval, for best free AV, for what it's worth.

Worth about as much as "Best Cake Recipe" award at the local
Senior Rest Home annual party.
PC Mag --- LOL
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Shadow

Nov 20, 2013, 5:10:37 AM11/20/13
On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 05:05:03 -0800 (PST), RayLopez99
<raylo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I skimmed a book called "hacker" or some such that got into C language and assembly language code

Forget C. If you can't read assembly, you can't debug ANY
malware.
It's like trying to write a book without knowing the alphabet.

>The author explained some of the code, but still not adequately

What is there to explain ? Assembly is self-explanatory. It's
machine code. Maybe the guy reading it was not "adequate" enough ?
Message has been deleted

RayLopez99

Nov 21, 2013, 12:48:43 AM11/21/13
On Thursday, November 21, 2013 12:28:46 PM UTC+8, Dustin wrote:

> Well, we all know his assembler skills are.. lacking..to say the least.

What about 'ur skilz' cock-sucker? Why don't you show us a simple virus that you did NOT copy and paste?

What an idiot.

RL

mark lewis

Nov 22, 2013, 4:44:50 AM11/22/13
+ User FidoNet address: 1:3634/12.71
On Wed, 20 Nov 2013, RayLopez99 wrote to All:

> Well, we all know his assembler skills are.. lacking..to say the least.
>

R> What about 'ur skilz' cock-sucker?

you loose...

R> Why don't you show us a simple virus that you did NOT copy and
R> paste?

because when one has integrity, they don't make available the source code to
virus', trojans, or worms... they don't make available infectious, detrimental
or polymorphic code... they don't give stuff to others that may be used to harm
others...

R> What an idiot.

yes, "you" are when "you" continually try to goad someone into breaking the law
in numerous countries...

yes, "you" are when "you" apparently cannot learn to read assembly language or
other higher level languages...

yes, "you" are when "you" keep insisting on someone else doing "your" work for
you instead of doing it "yourself" (eg: learning how these things actually
work)...

yes, "you" are when "you" can't say how a prepending virus works...

yes, "you" are when "you" don't know the difference between a virus, worm, and
trojan...

)\/(ark
+ The FidoNet News Gate (Huntsville, AL - USA) +
+ The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +
+ All data is scanned for malware by Avast! Antivirus +

---

Message has been deleted

RayLopez99

Nov 25, 2013, 10:12:43 AM11/25/13
On Saturday, November 23, 2013 1:44:50 AM UTC+8, mark lewis wrote:
> + User FidoNet address: 1:3634/12.71
>
> On Wed, 20 Nov 2013, RayLopez99 wrote to All:
>

> > Well, we all know his assembler skills are.. lacking..to say the least.
>

> R> What about 'ur skilz' cock-sucker?
>

> you loose...

No, you LOSE, loser. Your stools are LOOSE, but you LOSE when you play the lottery with your welfare check monies.

> R> Why don't you show us a simple virus that you did NOT copy and
>
> R> paste?
>

> because when one has integrity, they don't make available the source code to
>
> virus', trojans, or worms... they don't make available infectious, detrimental
>
> or polymorphic code... they don't give stuff to others that may be used to harm
>
> others...

WTF you talkin' about? Dustin has threatened women with violence, has posted pics of his firearms and threatened grievous bodily harm to any peace officer who comes to arrest him, has introduced viruses into the wild to infect PCs, and has, last but not least, participated in file-sharing of MP3s. "no harm no foul" is not Dustbin. He is dangerous and it must be put down. I'm waiting for him to make more mistakes. Already he's restarted the statute of limitations for certain crimes IMO, and it's only a matter of time before he commits others.

> R> What an idiot.
>

> yes, "you" are when "you" continually try to goad someone into breaking the law
>
> in numerous countries...

Entrapment only works as a defense in a minority of jurisdictions. Sooner or later Dustbin will seek to validate his self-worth by posting viruses again...and I'll be waiting.

> yes, "you" are when "you" apparently cannot learn to read assembly language or
>
> other higher level languages...

Not true. I code in C#.

> yes, "you" are when "you" keep insisting on someone else doing "your" work for
>
> you instead of doing it "yourself" (eg: learning how these things actually
>
> work)...
>

> yes, "you" are when "you" can't say how a prepending virus works...

Why don't you teach me then? Do you know how it works? You are Robin to Dustin's Batman. You suck his ass but don't know shit about programming, anymore than he does.

RL

Jax

Nov 25, 2013, 1:09:59 PM11/25/13

> Really? Ray, how does a prepender work?

Dustin if you really want to know how a prepender works then Google it.
That's why Google was invented! :)

--
Jax

mark lewis

Nov 25, 2013, 2:49:34 PM11/25/13
On Sun, 24 Nov 2013, RayLopez99 wrote to All:

> yes, "you" are when "you" can't say how a prepending virus works...
>

R> Why don't you teach me then?

what is there to teach? you know what appending is, right? prepending is
exactly the opposite... it isn't rocket science and any 1st year compsci
student would know the difference as well as being able to do the same...

R> Do you know how it works?

of course i do... prepending code onto another file is a no-brainer... if that
file is an executable, one only need to also provide a jump to the executable's
startup and let it go... maybe a few fixups here and there but still simple to
do...

R> You are Robin to Dustin's Batman. You suck his ass but don't
R> know #### about programming, anymore than he does.

yep... you are a loser... especially when you start calling names and throwing
insults at others... even moreso when you don't know anything about those
others...

say good night, gracie...
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

RayLopez99

Nov 26, 2013, 12:14:04 PM11/26/13
On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:49:34 AM UTC+8, mark lewis wrote:
> + User FidoNet address: 1:3634/12.71
>
> On Sun, 24 Nov 2013, RayLopez99 wrote to All:

> R> Why don't you teach me then?
>

> what is there to teach? you know what appending is, right? prepending is
>
> exactly the opposite... it isn't rocket science and any 1st year compsci
>
> student would know the difference as well as being able to do the same...

The issue is to teach me how a simple assembly program works, say one to print "HELLO WORLD" to stdout. Dustin failed in that simple task. Now your turn.

RL

RayLopez99

Nov 26, 2013, 12:16:25 PM11/26/13
On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 12:22:34 PM UTC+8, Dustin wrote:
> RayLopez99 <raylo...@gmail.com> wrote in

> > Entrapment only works as a defense in a minority of jurisdictions.
>
> > Sooner or later Dustbin will seek to validate his self-worth by posting
>
> > viruses again...and I'll be waiting.
>

> That's nearly 14 years now and counting. The same asshat predictions were
>
> made concerning BugHunter. BugHunter is still available and since it's
>
> initial release has *never* harmed a system. You'll be waiting a very very
>
> long time.

That's bullshit. By the very fact the program made an uninvited appearance on a user's hard drive is, by itself, a violation of the law. Similarly, if you hack into a network uninvited, even if you don't change a thing nor leave any trace behind, you are, by definition, breaking the law.

You are a lawbreaker and you can run, but you can't hide.

RL
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

RayLopez99

Nov 28, 2013, 9:50:24 AM11/28/13
On Thursday, October 31, 2013 4:21:56 PM UTC+8, RayLopez99 wrote:
> Avast! Freeware is a problem that causes in Windows 7 Professional,

On Thursday, October 31, 2013 4:25:18 PM UTC+8, RayLopez99 wrote:

[update]

Turns out Avast! is not the culprit, since I get the BSOD even now. But AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2014 which I replaced it with is better than Avast! since faster and so I'm glad I got rid of Avast.

I think the drivers are a problem. Since this is a pirate copy of Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, I can't use the "automatic driver" feature of Win7. Instead I downloaded and installed an excellent freeware/shareware program called DriverMax that seems to be helping. It identified 26 out-of-date drivers, and the freeware version will replace 2 drivers a day, so in 13 days I'll have all replaced. A crash program called "BlueScreenView", also freeware, identified perhaps that the ATI graphics card driver is at fault (so I replaced it with the DriverMax suggestion) and also "ntoskrnl.exe" the standard Windows file, which apparently is routinely fingered as a culprit but usually blameless. Another possible fault is the program "Daemon Tools Lite" and/or Alcohol 120 I found out, which uses a certain SCSI interface SPTD driver that has huge potential problems (see here: http://www.daemonpro-help.com/en/problems_and_solutions/registry_and_sptd_problems.html) but in my case my registry did not have this SPTD driver installed, so I'm off the hook, though I don't like the trojan like nature of Daemon Tools lite (which tries to install itself to start during bootup).

To be continued...

PS--the generic PCI-to-PCI driver by Intel is replaced by DriverMax with what seems to be a "super generic" version, see this interesting thread: http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=5911

(I've noted that the "Matrox Extio PCI Standard PCI-to-PCI Bridge" driver installs on ATI/nVidia (maybe others) chipset-driven boards. This supplants the default XP driver "Standard PCI-to-PCI bridge" and installs the file "MxEFUF32.sys" (MxEFUF32.sys v8.15.1.690, along with PCI.sys from machine.inf) from MxEFF.inf (D/G/M). )

RL

Buffalo

Nov 28, 2013, 11:39:13 AM11/28/13
"RayLopez99" wrote in message
"Avast! Freeware is a problem that causes in Windows 7 Professional, Service
Pack 1, a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) "BlueScreen" specifically the page
memory error "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT". The problem seems to go away when I
switched to AVG AntiVirus Free Edition.

The BSOD problem occurs only when you run Avast! but not Malwarebytes
Anti-Malware nor AVG."

First you blame Avast without real proof, and now you are doing strange
things and yet you still give Dustin crap all the time about not knowing
much about anything computerwise while you continually bare your novice type
knowledge in anything dealing with computer software.
Sad. Like a spoiled child begging for attention.

--
Buffalo

RayLopez99

Nov 29, 2013, 12:40:49 AM11/29/13
On Friday, November 29, 2013 12:39:13 AM UTC+8, Buffalo wrote:

> The BSOD problem occurs only when you run Avast! but not Malwarebytes
>
> Anti-Malware nor AVG."
>

> First you blame Avast without real proof, and now you are doing strange
>
> things and yet you still give Dustin crap all the time about not knowing
>
> much about anything computerwise while you continually bare your novice type
>
> knowledge in anything dealing with computer software.

That's bullshit and you know it. Troll on.

RL

RayLopez99

Nov 29, 2013, 12:53:49 AM11/29/13
On Friday, November 29, 2013 1:40:49 PM UTC+8, RayLopez99 wrote:
> On Friday, November 29, 2013 12:39:13 AM UTC+8, Buffalo wrote:
> That's bullshit and you know it. Troll on.

Furthermore, Avast! is a resource hog and from other threads it's known to be very aggressive and on some systems causes a BSOD. I am glad I changed it.. My system scans faster now with AVG and it bogs down less when analyzing files. Much much better, I highly recommend AVG and so does this year's PC Mag.

RL

Buffalo

Nov 29, 2013, 9:57:08 AM11/29/13
"RayLopez99" wrote in message
Avast Free has a very small footprint and is not considered to be a resource
hog. More hogwash from you.

Taken from: http://www.iocreed.com/avast-vs-avg-which-one-to-choose/
"Avast scores over AVG in terms of Performance also. While AVG is resource
hoggy Avast uses almost no resources of your PC (unless you are on 256 MB
RAM "
Show me a link where it says that AVG is less a resource hog than Avast.
You just keep posting bad facts.
--
Buffalo
PS: AVG Free is also a very good program.

mark lewis

Nov 29, 2013, 6:09:13 AM11/29/13
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013, RayLopez99 wrote to All:

R> From: RayLopez99 <raylo...@gmail.com>

R> On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:49:34 AM UTC+8, mark lewis wrote:
> + User FidoNet address: 1:3634/12.71
>
> On Sun, 24 Nov 2013, RayLopez99 wrote to All:
>
> R> Why don't you teach me then?
>
> what is there to teach? you know what appending is, right? prepending is
> exactly the opposite... it isn't rocket science and any 1st year compsci
> student would know the difference as well as being able to do the same...

R> The issue is to teach me how a simple assembly program works, say
R> one to print "HELLO WORLD" to stdout. Dustin failed in that simple
R> task. Now your turn.

sorry but no, it is not "my turn"... your request is much too open-ended... you
don't specify the OS for one thing... 8bit, 16bit, 32bit and 64bit will all be
different as will creating a COM file or an EXE... COM files are smaller than
EXE files... they have no relocation or similar setups that have to be
performed... you don't specify if the code is to display the string character
by character or if the whole string must be blatted out in one call...
Message has been deleted

Buffalo

Nov 29, 2013, 4:53:54 PM11/29/13
"Dustin" wrote in message

>RayLopez99 <raylo...@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> I think the drivers are a problem. Since this is a pirate copy of
>> Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, I can't use the "automatic driver"
>> feature of Win7. Instead I downloaded and installed an excellent
>> freeware/shareware program called DriverMax that seems to be helping.
>
>God awful....
>
>I'm going to do you a solid here...
>
>http://drp.su/
>
>You won't have to wait 13 days now...

Dustin, I dl'd DRPSu13-Lite.exe and it came up with errors on my Win7HE
64bit OS and wanted to de-bug while I tried to install the program. (Can't
remember which 'reader' type problem it encountered)
I tried it several times and unchecked McAfee and anything else it tried to
install besides its program.
Still ended up with McAfee Site Advisor and Sendori even after I uninstalled
the Driver Program.
Any advice on how to install it properly?
Have you actually used it?
I set a Restore Point before trying the install and after uninstalling that
program, plus Mc Afee and Sendori and rebooting, I finally used the Restore
point I had just created.
Is it really a good program for me or just for 'experts' like Ray Lopez?
--
Buffalo

telsar

Nov 29, 2013, 4:55:31 PM11/29/13
On 11/29/2013 7:22 PM, Dustin wrote:
> RayLopez99 <raylo...@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> I think the drivers are a problem. Since this is a pirate copy of
>> Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, I can't use the "automatic driver"
>> feature of Win7. Instead I downloaded and installed an excellent
>> freeware/shareware program called DriverMax that seems to be helping.
>
> God awful....
>
> I'm going to do you a solid here...
>
> http://drp.su/
>
> You won't have to wait 13 days now...

+1

--
Steal a little and go to jail, steal a lot and become King.
Message has been deleted

Buffalo

Nov 29, 2013, 9:36:26 PM11/29/13
"Dustin" wrote in message

>"Buffalo" <pho...@physco.invalid.net> wrote in
>
>> "Dustin" wrote in message
>>>
>>>RayLopez99 <raylo...@gmail.com> wrote in

>>>God awful....
>>>
>>>I'm going to do you a solid here...
>>>
>>>http://drp.su/
>>>
>>>You won't have to wait 13 days now...
>>>

>> Dustin, I dl'd DRPSu13-Lite.exe and it came up with errors on my Win7HE
>> 64bit OS and wanted to de-bug while I tried to install the program.
>> (Can't remember which 'reader' type problem it encountered)
>
>I always go for the full version as the lite version doesn't contain much
>of a database and wants to go online searching. It can also misidentify
>hardware based on it's PCI string so you have to watch which drivers it
>wants to load. It's not surprising to see it misidentify an onboard
>soundchipset.
>
>> I tried it several times and unchecked McAfee and anything else it tried
>> to install besides its program.
>
>You have to watch for everything when it's installing. Or you'll fall into
>a gotcha situation. Don't install any of the apps because their default
>install is in russian.
>
>> Any advice on how to install it properly?
>
>I don't install it. Like I said, I download and burn the full version iso,
>be careful what I'm checking and let it load drivers only for the hardware
>I know it properly detected. It confuses realtek audio sometimes.
>
>> Have you actually used it?
>
>Many times. It's been a life/time saver.
>
>> Is it really a good program for me or just for 'experts' like Ray Lopez?
>
>As long as your paying attention to every screen and option, you don't need
>to be an expert to use it. I posted it trying to save ray some time and
>aggrivation. While it's not perfect because it compares pci id strings in
>it's database, it still does a good job in most cases. Certainly one for
>the toolkit, but get the full version so you don't have to install anything
>other than the drivers you want.

Thanks for the reply.
I will do the full dl for DVD.
I checked every screen and still got some unwanted stuff with the Lite
install.
I will try it again since you found it handy.
BTW, the full version is only a dl of less than a MB, so it must connect to
the web for the rest of the dl.
Right now I am leery of it but will try to get the full dl from the 88.4kb
dl that I got while trying for the full dl for DVD dl.
--
Buffalo

Message has been deleted

Buffalo

Dec 1, 2013, 2:24:49 PM12/1/13
"Dustin" wrote in message

>"Buffalo" <pho...@physco.invalid.net> wrote in
>The full version is 4gigs bro.. :) I just downloaded the latest the other
>day.

Never used Torrent so I did not know that you had to dl a torrent program,
such as FinalTorrent to open that small torrent file DRPSu13-Final.torrent,
which was 88.4kb.
Dl'ing the DRPSu13 file thru torrent as I type this..
Thanks,
--
Buffalo

RayLopez99

Dec 1, 2013, 10:40:48 PM12/1/13
On Saturday, November 30, 2013 3:22:34 AM UTC+8, Dustin wrote:
> > freeware/shareware program called DriverMax that seems to be helping.
>

> God awful....
>

> I'm going to do you a solid here...
>

> http://drp.su/
>

> You won't have to wait 13 days now...

Gawd dam you stupid s.o.b. I clicked on the link not knowing it was you who posted it (I thought it was Buffalo, who is more credible than you) and got this spam site with Russian letter adverts and this driver program page that is supposedly freeware to install drivers in one day rather than the two drivers a day freeware limit of DriverMax. The problem is: DriverMax has 1000s of users and is highly rated by CNet and PCMag, while your suggestion is unknown. How do I know that your program is not simply a clever backdoor Trojan to infect and zombie-fy my system? I don't and it probably is.

I trust you as far as I can throw you, which is not much.

RL

RayLopez99

Dec 1, 2013, 10:45:25 PM12/1/13
On Saturday, November 30, 2013 9:41:00 AM UTC+8, Dustin wrote:
> > I tried it several times and unchecked McAfee and anything else it tried
>
> > to install besides its program.
>

> You have to watch for everything when it's installing. Or you'll fall into
>
> a gotcha situation. Don't install any of the apps because their default
>
> install is in russian.

Exactly! You are installing a trojan. Run away!

> > Have you actually used it?
>

> Many times. It's been a life/time saver.
>

> > Is it really a good program for me or just for 'experts' like Ray Lopez?
>

> As long as your paying attention to every screen and option, you don't need
>
> to be an expert to use it. I posted it trying to save ray some time and
>
> aggrivation. While it's not perfect because it compares pci id strings in
>
> it's database, it still does a good job in most cases. Certainly one for

B.S.!!! Dustin is doing me a favor? NO WAY! This is an attempt to install some trojan onto Buffalo's PC! A social engineering exploit at its finest.

RL
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Buffalo

Dec 3, 2013, 1:22:43 PM12/3/13
"Dustin" wrote in message

>RayLopez99 <raylo...@gmail.com> wrote in
>I've never been spammed by the site. It's yet to send me the first email...
>
>I don't get popups either, but alas, I use firefox and noscript... I'm
>there for the torrent and the forums. The torrent gets me the full program,
>which is 4.3gigs or so. The url I posted is a freeware app.
>
>Not to be overly picky here, but who's the stupid SOB? I didn't click a
>link thought to be posted by another. You did. I guess it's a good thing
>for you that I really have no alterior motives, eh? If I did, I'd already
>have you. [g] ponder that.
>
>>I trust you as far as I can throw you, which is not much.
>
>I was simply offering you a tool that would save you alot of time. If you'd
>rather wait days to grab a few drivers (I don't know why you can't find
>them yourself, but whatever) that's on you.

Dustin, what program do you use to dl torrent files?
Thanks,
I used FinalTorrent and ended up with a corrupted .iso file several times.
That was the first time I ever dl'd thru Torrent.
--
Buffalo

Message has been deleted

RayLopez99

Dec 17, 2013, 12:57:53 PM12/17/13
On Thursday, October 31, 2013 4:21:56 PM UTC+8, RayLopez99 wrote:

> The BSOD problem occurs only when you run Avast! but not Malwarebytes Anti-Malware nor AVG.

Turns out this BSOD problem allegedly due to Avast! was a false positive--Avast! was not at fault, but the BSOD was caused by a memory stick incompletely seated, that on occasion would give an error. I reseated the stick and the problem went away.

A good program to spot such errors--better than anything sold commercially--is the freeware Prime95, in 'stress test' mode.

Sorry for any lost sales to Avast! from anybody reading the OP.

RL

FromTheRafters

Dec 17, 2013, 1:05:26 PM12/17/13
RayLopez99 laid this down on his screen :
Thanks for the update. Good job.

RayLopez99

Dec 17, 2013, 1:14:55 PM12/17/13
On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 2:05:26 AM UTC+8, FromTheRafters

> Thanks for the update. Good job.

What is interesting is that such a hardware problem mimics a virus in a way--all kinds of random, mysterious BSOD's that seem to come from various drivers. I ended up updating all of them before I figured out it was a hardware fault, but at least I got to update my drivers that I could not have updated otherwise.

RL
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

philip.a...@gmail.com

Dec 21, 2013, 5:03:38 PM12/21/13
Hi folks. Just adding my 2 pence :-)

I have a couple of (official) Win7 machines that have been stable running Avast for nearly 12 months. However, after recent MS update, both machines have been BSOD-ing several times a day over a 2 week period. I eventually uninstalled Avast, and installed another free antivirus - one week later, and neither machine has had BSOD. Not conclusive yet, I know, but maybe starting to look indicative?
Message has been deleted

s|b

Dec 21, 2013, 5:32:10 PM12/21/13
On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 14:03:38 -0800 (PST), philip.a...@gmail.com
wrote:

> Hi folks. Just adding my 2 pence :-)

Almost two months after the original message. You sure took your time!
;-)

--
s|b

RayLopez99

Dec 24, 2013, 8:04:55 PM12/24/13
On Friday, December 20, 2013 7:42:41 AM UTC+8, Dustin wrote:

> Memtest86+ is completely free and would also have shown you something was
>
> amiss. :)

I did run Memtest86+, latest version, for eight hours straight and it found no errors in memory. The chips were seated improperly and this caused an occasional glitch but it was not predictably periodic. Even the folks at alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt found this incredible, as I did, but there it is.

RL

Buffalo

Dec 25, 2013, 7:02:22 PM12/25/13
"RayLopez99" wrote in message
We all find you incredible, Ray
Merry Christmas
--
Buffalo

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

FromTheRafters

Dec 25, 2013, 8:57:44 PM12/25/13
Dustin wrote on 12/25/2013 :
> RayLopez99 <raylo...@gmail.com> wrote in
> I wonder if they didn't think you were smoking something too...
>
> Usually a loose/weak/not present connection (which is what you'd have with
> improperly seated ram) will present itself during a memory test; reliably.
>
> I find it very hard to believe that you were able to run memtest86+ for 8
> hours and it not alert, yet you ran another program which did alert you?
> Really doesn't make sense.....

Is this a desktop computer? Maybe the memory test went well because the
thumping present when he was lookiing at porn, was missing?

Jax

Dec 26, 2013, 10:22:11 AM12/26/13
> I wonder if they didn't think you were smoking something too...

Dustin it's more likely YOU were smoking something! Have you finished this
lot you showed us?..... http://i.imgur.com/uZlCPWT.jpg

> Usually a loose/weak/not present connection (which is what you'd have
> with improperly seated ram) will present itself during a memory test;
> reliably.
>
> I find it very hard to believe that you were able to run memtest86+ for
> 8 hours and it not alert, yet you ran another program which did alert
> you? Really doesn't make sense.....

--
Jax
Message has been deleted

RayLopez99

Dec 31, 2013, 1:10:04 AM12/31/13
On Thursday, December 26, 2013 9:35:25 AM UTC+8, Dustin wrote:
> RayLopez99 <raylo...@gmail.com> wrote in

> I find it very hard to believe that you were able to run memtest86+ for 8
>
> hours and it not alert, yet you ran another program which did alert you?

Hard to believe, but that's what happened. Again, Prime95 is the best way to detect hardware faults--better than memtest86+, which ran for 8+ hrs straight and found no errors. Prime 95 ran for less than a minute, found errors, and when I reseated the memory sticks the errors went away, and Prime 95 ran for hours with no problems.

If you fail to understand how this might happen with a PC, you really don't have a clue as to how PCs work. One reason why rebooting sometimes fixes a problem...just the way it is. And you claim to write viruses? Gimme a break...

RL

FromTheRafters

Dec 31, 2013, 7:13:36 AM12/31/13
RayLopez99 expressed precisely :
So, it is all still just magic to you?

Jax

Jan 2, 2014, 11:53:03 AM1/2/14
> I wonder if they didn't think you were smoking something too...

Dustin you could get sued for that comment according to what I have read
in Scorched Earch. Think out it before using it again!

> Usually a loose/weak/not present connection (which is what you'd have
> with improperly seated ram) will present itself during a memory test;
> reliably.
>
> I find it very hard to believe that you were able to run memtest86+ for
> 8 hours and it not alert, yet you ran another program which did alert
> you? Really doesn't make sense.....

--
Jax :)
Message has been deleted

Jax

Jan 13, 2014, 1:17:08 PM1/13/14

> RayLopez99 <raylo...@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> If you fail to understand how this might happen with a PC, you really
>> don't have a clue as to how PCs work. One reason why rebooting
>> sometimes fixes a problem...just the way it is. And you claim to write
>> viruses? Gimme a break...
>
> Bawahahahahahaah... Ray, you do brighten my day sometimes with the
> horseshit you write expecting to pass off as the truth.
>
> Now, on a more serious note... can you tell me yet, how a prepender
> virus works?

Prepender? Not again! *swoon*

--
Jax :)

FromTheRafters

Jan 13, 2014, 1:31:09 PM1/13/14
Jax was thinking very hard :
I know it sounds overwhelming, but it's not really that difficult.

Aardvark

Jan 13, 2014, 1:52:16 PM1/13/14
Overwhelming for the terminally stupid, perhaps. Even *I* understand it,
and I'm by no stretch of the imagination either a coder or a programmer. I
understand it, but I couldn't do it.

--
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they
are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by

Jax

Jan 13, 2014, 5:50:56 PM1/13/14
FromTheRafters <err...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in news:lb1bdc$aa2$1
@speranza.aioe.org:
Rafters I recall Dustin explained it somewhere but it wasn't the meaning I
was referring to. It's the sheer number of times that question gets asked!

--
Jax :)

FromTheRafters

Jan 13, 2014, 9:13:11 PM1/13/14
Jax expressed precisely :
> FromTheRafters <err...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in news:lb1bdc$aa2$1
> @speranza.aioe.org:
>
>> Jax was thinking very hard :
[...]
>>> Prepender? Not again! *swoon*
>>
>> I know it sounds overwhelming, but it's not really that difficult.
>
> Rafters I recall Dustin explained it somewhere but it wasn't the meaning I
> was referring to. It's the sheer number of times that question gets asked!

Well, if XOR still has you stumped, there's no hope for you.

mark lewis

Jan 13, 2014, 4:47:03 PM1/13/14
On Mon, 13 Jan 2014, Jax wrote to All:

Jax> Rafters I recall Dustin explained it somewhere but it wasn't the
Jax> meaning I was referring to. It's the sheer number of times that
Jax> question gets asked!

then perhaps ray shouldn't be pushing the buttons and trying to retailiate so
much?

)\/(ark

Not only is the Universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can
think. - Werner Heisenberg
+ The FidoNet News Gate (Huntsville, AL - USA) +
+ The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +
+ All data is scanned for malware by Avast! Antivirus +

---

Jax

Jan 14, 2014, 5:43:25 PM1/14/14
FromTheRafters <err...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in
Rafters a prepender doesn't have anything to do with XOR. Everyone knows
that!

--
Jax :)

FromTheRafters

Jan 14, 2014, 6:13:01 PM1/14/14
Jax brought next idea :
It might if you encrypt that which you displace or need to clear a
register. But, that is beside the point. The point being that your
inability to comprehend the simple building blocks makes it highly
unlikely that you will understand the overall process.

Why do you think XOR would have nothing to do with a prepender? Do you
think that there is a call like Nt_Prepend_Virus?

Message has been deleted

Aardvark

Jan 16, 2014, 5:02:48 AM1/16/14
On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 03:58:10 +0000, Dustin wrote:

> Aardvark <aard...@aardvark.uk.pn> wrote in
>
>> On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 13:31:09 -0500, FromTheRafters wrote:
>>
>>> Jax was thinking very hard :

>>> I know it sounds overwhelming, but it's not really that difficult.
>>
>> Overwhelming for the terminally stupid, perhaps. Even *I* understand
>> it,
>> and I'm by no stretch of the imagination either a coder or a
>> programmer.
>> I understand it, but I couldn't do it.
>
> Yes you could.

Despite not being a coder and only having basic programming knowledge
that's long out of date?

> You just have to think of it like a file copier. Much of
> it's codebase would be the same. atleast as far as copying. [g]

I don't think I have the meticulous attention to detail required. Or the
patience.

Jax

Jan 16, 2014, 5:37:26 PM1/16/14
FromTheRafters <err...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in
Rafters you lost me with your complexity but I wonder if you understand
your own post. Just saying!

--
Jax :)
Message has been deleted

Jax

Jan 18, 2014, 5:45:06 PM1/18/14

> Aardvark <aard...@aardvark.uk.pn> wrote in news:lb8ao7$rhi$5@dont-
> email.me:
> Doesn't take a coder to make a virus. A decent programmer can do it too.
> If you understand the principles behind it, it's something you could
> write. While your programming knowledge may be out of date, the
> principles behind a prepender, appender, cavity infector are not new.
> Some are very old in fact and could have been written on computers way
> before now.
>
>> I don't think I have the meticulous attention to detail required. Or
>> the patience.
>
> Patience is something a computer can teach you. :) attention to detail
> is something you'll pickup as you program, because the HLL compiler will
> bitch about stuff if you don't and your program won't work correctly if
> you don't. Both things the computer will train you to do better with.

Dustin I've been thinking about learning a bit of programming just to show
you I can do it. I might just get myself an introductory book next time
I'm at Barnes & Noble. Maybe you would respect me a little more!

--
Jax :)

Aardvark

Jan 18, 2014, 7:52:59 PM1/18/14
On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 22:45:06 +0000, the lying, slimy, fraudulent, stalking
cunt wrote:

> <OBSESS>

RayLopez99

Jan 18, 2014, 8:49:10 PM1/18/14
On Sunday, January 19, 2014 6:45:06 AM UTC+8, Jax wrote:
> Dustin <abugh...@gmail.com> wrote in

> Dustin I've been thinking about learning a bit of programming just to show
>
> you I can do it. I might just get myself an introductory book next time
>
> I'm at Barnes & Noble. Maybe you would respect me a little more!

You don't need respect from this pot-smoking, female-insulting, wannabe over-the-kill suicidal criminal douchebag... respect from this turd is an insult.

RL
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

mark lewis

Jan 21, 2014, 3:08:25 PM1/21/14
On Sat, 18 Jan 2014, Jax wrote to All:

> Patience is something a computer can teach you. :) attention to detail
> is something you'll pickup as you program, because the HLL compiler will
> bitch about stuff if you don't and your program won't work correctly if
> you don't. Both things the computer will train you to do better with.

J> Dustin I've been thinking about learning a bit of programming just
J> to show you I can do it. I might just get myself an introductory
J> book next time I'm at Barnes & Noble.

there are many tutorial and explanitory resources available for free on the
internet... granted, i still grab my 1000+ page paper books from time to
time...

FromTheRafters

Jan 21, 2014, 10:42:47 PM1/21/14
Jax brought next idea :

[...]

> Dustin I've been thinking about learning a bit of programming just to show
> you I can do it. I might just get myself an introductory book next time
> I'm at Barnes & Noble. Maybe you would respect me a little more!

?"<OBSESS>"

Just thought I'd start with the BASIC stuff.

Message has been deleted

Aardvark

Jan 22, 2014, 10:30:15 AM1/22/14
ROTFLMAO

Jax

Jan 23, 2014, 3:34:40 PM1/23/14

> Jax <remove.bea...@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Dustin I've been thinking about learning a bit of programming just to
>> show you I can do it. I might just get myself an introductory book next
>> time I'm at Barnes & Noble. Maybe you would respect me a little more!
>
> Are you inferring that I'm a snob towards you because you don't program?
> Or that I look down on those who don't?
>
> I'm sure you had something else in mind with your choice of words here.
> It's just not like you...

Dustin..... you have recently been very critical of Graham's abilities
because he isn't a programmer. Well I could learn to program..... and then
you would respect me as a fellow programmer!

--
Jax :)

Aardvark

Jan 23, 2014, 4:49:20 PM1/23/14
On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 20:34:40 +0000, the lying, slimy, fraudulent, stalking
cunt wrote:

> <OBSESS>

FromTheRafters

Jan 23, 2014, 5:38:16 PM1/23/14
Jax presented the following explanation :
10 ? "<OBSESS>"
20 GOTO 10

Introducing, the much reviled GOTO statement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goto

We'll have you writing programs as well as Ray Lopez in no time, and
you'll get the level of respect that you deserve.

Aardvark

Jan 23, 2014, 6:01:50 PM1/23/14
It already does, FTR.

FromTheRafters

Jan 23, 2014, 8:13:16 PM1/23/14
on 1/23/2014, Aardvark supposed :

>> We'll have you writing programs as well as Ray Lopez in no time, and
>> you'll get the level of respect that you deserve.
>
> It already does, FTR.

In no time, just like I said.

Aardvark

Jan 24, 2014, 3:45:10 AM1/24/14
D'OH! Gotcha.

:-)

Jax

Jan 24, 2014, 6:31:53 PM1/24/14
FromTheRafters <err...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in
Rafters did you know your program just goes round and round in a loop?

Anyways I heard that C++ is a nice and easy language to learn. I've made a
start with Rafter's GOTO command.

--
Jax :)

FromTheRafters

Jan 24, 2014, 8:28:40 PM1/24/14
Jax used his keyboard to write :

[...]

> Rafters did you know your program just goes round and round in a loop?

So do you, so I thought it was fitting.

> Anyways I heard that C++ is a nice and easy language to learn. I've made a
> start with Rafter's GOTO command.

I never learned C++, so I can't help you there. Basically, computer
programming languages are all just different ways to do the same
things. Coding is where the rubber meets the road so to speak. Some
implementations would not like the lack of an "END" statement in the
above program.

Message has been deleted

Jax

Jan 28, 2014, 11:16:49 AM1/28/14

> Jax <remove.bea...@gmail.com> wrote in news:XnsA2BED1546EC11JAX@
> 127.0.0.1:
> You're misrepresenting what I've written to G. Morgan.

Dustin it's you who seems to have forgotten what you have written to or
about Graham!

-----------------------

From: Dustin <bughunte...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: A Puzzle For You
Date: Tue, Sep 13 2011 17:30:47 GMT

I know Graham's skillset well Jenn. He's a glorified Bench technician. I
have the same skillsets, with the A+ certification that goes along with
the stupid shit. At that point tho, Graham and I fork. I have low level
skillsets, he has brown nosing. He's not and never has been a coder, like
me. I've provided sample's which demonstrate reverse engineering skills
and the ability to write another program in another language entirely
(rogue spear was written in c++) which can alter the conditions of the
game. This code was chosen because it's old (very old) and shows those
skills clear as day.

-----------------------

Subject: Re: Ping Jenn: Repeat after me, You are NOT a coder :)
From: Dustin <bughunte...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Sep 15 2011 21:44:37 GMT

Graham, As I know you're not a coder; I'll point this out for you.. That's
NOT html. :)

-----------------------

Subject: Re: The Choices People Make
From: Dustin <bughunte...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jul 11 2011 22:00:24 GMT

Since you opened the door... Graham fully admits to *not* being a
programmer or coder. I'm both, I can prove it, have a long long track
record of writing code.

Now, our credentials are laid on the table. Which one of us is more likely
to know WTF they are talking about? I'lll make this easy for you. One of
us can code, the other doesn't have a fucking clue.

-----------------------

Aardvark

Jan 28, 2014, 12:47:28 PM1/28/14
On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 16:16:49 +0000, the lying, slimy, fraudulent, stalking
cunt wrote:

> ,OBSESS>

cmai...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2020, 4:03:36 PM7/14/20
On Thursday, October 31, 2013 at 4:21:56 AM UTC-4, RayLopez99 wrote:
> Avast! Freeware is a problem that causes in Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) "BlueScreen" specifically the page memory error "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT". The problem seems to go away when I switched to AVG AntiVirus Free Edition.
>
> The BSOD problem occurs only when you run Avast! but not Malwarebytes Anti-Malware nor AVG.
>
> What is weird is that Avast! 8 worked fine until today--it worked for about a year--then, coincidentally (?) when I went to Microsoft's site to check for updates after Windows SP1, there was a link, that I did NOT click, that required ActiveX, and only ran in Windows Explorer, to give you the list of updates after SP1 (not install the updates, just give you the list).

It is loading more messages.