Pelikan M800 vs. M600

Paul Petraeus

May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98

Hi all,

I am thinking of buying a Pelikan Souveran M600 or M800.
I tried them both (Fine nib) and in a first feel, for me, they write
both equally nice.
Who can give me some theoretical differences between the two models.
Should a bigger nib (M800) write better than a smaller nib (M600) etc.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

DavidL213

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

Paul:
I would say that the most important difference is how they feel in your hand
when you write with them. I have a number of 800es, and I just purchased an
M600. While I love the nibs on the 800es, the 600 fits the size of my had a
bit more comfortably. With these two pens, I would pick whichever one is more
comfortable to you. Some of the smaller Pelikans have plastic rather than
brass piston mechanisms, but I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) that
both the 800 and the 600 have the brass mechanism. You won't go wrong with
either one.
David

PelikanDRP

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

Hi Paul,

I agree with David's comments.
The current M600 has a plastic filling mechanism and a 14C nib; the 800's is
brass and the nib is 18C. It is still possible to find older M600's fitted with
18C nibs as well. While you may find the larger 800 nib to be a bit more
flexible, there is less difference in flexibility between the 14C and 18C 600
nibs.
Both are well balanced and reliable writing instruments.

Good luck!
Paul
---
"Minds and fountain pens will work when willed,
but minds, like fountain pens, must first be filled"

Trevor William Butterworth

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

So what is the m300 like - plastic piston? less flexible nib than the 800
too?

Trevor

PelikanDRP

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

In article
<Pine.GSO.3.95qL.9805...@konichiwa.cc.columbia.edu>, Trevor
William Butterworth <tw...@columbia.edu> writes:

>So what is the m300 like - plastic piston? less flexible nib than the 800
>too?

The nib is surprisingly flexible for it's size.
Only the Pelikan M800 and M1000 series pieces are fitted with the brass
mechanism.

TCurtis911

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

Paul,

The M800 nib being larger should be more flexible. However, I really believe
that the major difference between the pens is going to be what feels
comfortable in your hands. I own a Pelikan M800 and it writes very well.
However, I have returned to my Namiki pens because theirquality is equal to
Pelikan and their size is more in line with my hand size. It really amounts to
personal choice. The nib quality should be equal, although the M800 slightly
more flexible. Pelikan is an excellent line though and I don't think you will
go wrong with either choice.

Tony

Fritz Beindorff

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98
to pa...@paulnet.demon.nl

Paul Petraeus schrieb:

> Hi all,

> I am thinking of buying a Pelikan Souveran M600 or M800.
> I tried them both (Fine nib) and in a first feel, for me, they write
> both equally nice.
> Who can give me some theoretical differences between the two models.
> Should a bigger nib (M800) write better than a smaller nib (M600) etc.
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Paul

Hello Paul,

the difference between M600 and M800 is that the M800 is thicker, longer
and
slightly heavier. The M600 model was originally designed for ladies.

The difference in nibs goes from very fine to extreme broad. Try the
different nibs!
If you are right-handed try an OBB. Depending wether you write a lot with
it or
you use it for just signing, I would choose between either B or the above
mentioned
OBB.

"PELIKAN" was over 150 years my familys business. So if you do have any
further
questions do not hesitate to contact.

rgds
Fritz Beindorff

Paul Petraeus

May 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/14/98

Hi all,

Thanks for all of the answers, it is a great help for me.
I have one more question.
Because I have a quite small handscript my first idea is to buy a fine
nib. My impression is that the majority recommends a medium nib. Why is
that?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Paul

Mark Blumer

May 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/14/98

It really depends on your writing style and the manner in which you
hold the pen to the paper. I can tell you as a southpaw that I have a
terrible with most fine points and extra fine are out of the question.
The way I hold the pen, the nib simply plows a furrow into the paper.
I never have this problem with medium point nibs and the oblique nibs
I have are a joy to write with.

Vinnie

May 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/15/98

I would also add that the Pelikan 800 has a flexible nib, but I find
it is a bit heavy. I have a large hand and depending on my mood, or if
I am tired in general. I don't want to write all day with the 800, On
other days It's fabulous and paints a smooth easy line. On the days I
don't want to hold the Pelikan, I use an Omas Jerusalem Crimson with a
medium nib.

I also have a Pelikan 200 which I love. It is much small and lighter,
but "scratchy" in general. Not in the same class as the more expensive
pens --but a delight. And especially at $30 from Staples a steal.

Yes you can still find the 200's at Staples. I have been successfull
two out of two visits to separate Staples by insisting that I speak to
the manager and asking him to look for them, In both cases they came
back surprised with a handfull of them -- especially when they
"swore" there were no more and "sold out."

Vincent

davi...@aol.com (DavidL213) wrote:

>Paul:
> I would say that the most important difference is how they feel in your hand
>when you write with them. I have a number of 800es, and I just purchased an
>M600. While I love the nibs on the 800es, the 600 fits the size of my had a
>bit more comfortably. With these two pens, I would pick whichever one is more
>comfortable to you. Some of the smaller Pelikans have plastic rather than
>brass piston mechanisms, but I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) that
>both the 800 and the 600 have the brass mechanism. You won't go wrong with
>either one.
> David
>

>I am thinking of buying a Pelikan Souveran M600 or M800.
>I tried them both (Fine nib) and in a first feel, for me, they write
>both equally nice.
>Who can give me some theoretical differences between the two models.
>Should a bigger nib (M800) write better than a smaller nib (M600) etc.

"We make the impossible......merely difficult"

PelikanDRP

May 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/16/98

In article <355B46...@paulnet.demon.nl>, Paul Petraeus
<pa...@paulnet.demon.nl> writes:

>Because I have a quite small handscript my first idea is to buy a fine
>nib. My impression is that the majority recommends a medium nib. Why is
>that?

Paul,
I'm a left handed printer with smaller handwriting as well.
All my Pelikan's are fitted with fine nibs. With the flexibility of the nib and
the high ink-flow feed, most Pelikan "Fine" nibs will lay a "Medium" line as
compared to other nibs.

Paul (G)

Neil Weisenfeld

May 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/16/98
to Paul Petraeus

On Thu, 14 May 1998, Paul Petraeus wrote:
> Because I have a quite small handscript my first idea is to buy a fine
> nib. My impression is that the majority recommends a medium nib. Why is
> that?

I'm not a "serious" collector (I only have 2 pens :-), but my experience
has been that the fine nibs that I've tried are more likely to have a
"scratchy" feel. I don't know if this is true with all fine nibs, or that
it's just harder to make a smooth fine nib, but one of the attractions to
fountain pens for me is the smooth writing and I've found that more with
medium nibs.

Regards,
Neil

Neil Weisenfeld | http://www.mit.edu/~weisen | mailto:wei...@mit.edu
MIT AI Lab / Harvard-MIT Div of Health Sci Tech | +1 (617) 253-8827

Susan Ammerman

May 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/17/98

I like the way Pelikan has developed an expanded size range for
selection within a pen style. Perhaps someone finally noticed that
hands are neither "male" nor "female." They actually come in small,
medium, large, extra large and children's sizes -- as gloves do.

From the M800 vs. M600 discussion I glean that the M600 is best suited
to men with smaller than average hands and to women with larger than
average hands. Those outsized by the M800 can expect to be wrestled to
the mat every day if attempting to use the implement for more than a
signature pen.

Point: One can use a smaller pen or larger pen that fits one
comfortably without sex-role reassignment. This is greatly facilitated
by gender-neutral styling and the absence of pejorative labeling as
"ladies" pens (i.e. no man should be caught dead using them).

Certainly, some styles and colors are more likely to appeal to women
buyers. And because women tend to have, on average, smaller hands than
an average man it makes sense to limit production of some pens to the
smaller 2 or 3 sizes.

Just keep this in mind: My sister can palm a basketball; she is 6' 1''
tall. With my left hand I can span an octave and measure off 8 1/2"
increments; I'm only 5' 6 1/4" tall. We have big hands. The term
"ladies" has no consistent size connotation for women's hands.

Susan Ammerman
sam...@ibm.net

PS: I like my 150 very well, but I would find my hand cramping with
protracted writing.

Nancy & Bill Handy

May 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/17/98

Susan Ammerman <sam...@ibm.net> wrote:
> I like the way Pelikan has developed an expanded size range for
> selection within a pen style.

> From the M800 vs. M600 discussion I glean that the M600 is best suited

> to men with smaller than average hands and to women with larger than
> average hands. Those outsized by the M800 can expect to be wrestled to
> the mat every day if attempting to use the implement for more than a
> signature pen.

I have small hands.
Most manufactured unisex goods (sports equipment, seats for dining
tables, cars, planes) are just not made with women in mind. They are
made to fit an "average" sized man. Women's sneakers are actually of a
worse quality than the same ones made by the same brand for men (per
Consumer Reports magazine).

Example: I use a size 4 1/8 tennis racket grip, which is the smallest
adult size you can buy. However, go try and find it! It is damn near
impossible. I searched long and hard to find the Prince Thunder Extended
880 in MY size for Mother's Day. I found it after an extensive search
and many phone calls. The man in the sporting goods store told me women
learn to settle for easier-to-find bigger sizes because the best
graphite and titanium rackets are made in the larger sizes (for
men,resumably) and they may only get one or two in the smaller sizes.
Also it is interesting to note that grips can easily be made larger, but
can no longer be made smaller as in the past.

Now, what were we talking about? Pens, oh yes. I find the Pelikan 400 to
be a perfect size for my hand, but do I use it? No. Why? Because the
800 has a bigger, nicer-to-write-with nib and because the 800 has the
wonderful brass piston filler. So, in effect, I learned to settle for a
size that is not mine to get the better quality pen.

When pens are made in bigger sizes, usually it is not just scaled up in
size. There are differences in quality as well - nibs, trim, etc. With
some brands, the larger sized pens get piston fillers while the small
can only use cartridge/convertors (i.e. Stipula, Montblanc).

Sorry to have taken an entire post to vent this grievance, but unless
you are under 5'6" or have small hands, you will probably not even be
aware that it is a bone of contention to those of us who aren't giants,
but still have great expectations.
There, now I feel a little better...

Nancy

Trevor William Butterworth

May 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/17/98
to Nancy & Bill Handy

I understand this problem really well. I have very small hands, and had to
sell my Stipula Etruria, becasue it was too big to write with (its fine
nib also wrote a medium line - but that's another problem).
I would say that OMAS are the only company that truly reproduces its
range throughout the sizes.

My dilemma now is that I want to buy a nice pen to commemorate graduating
from an unbelievably gruelling graduate program. Sure, I liked the new
Deltas,(Ludugnum and Israel) but these are as big as the Stipula. I
thought of Bexley, but I'm worried about the length of the barrel. I hear
great things about the nibs on the 800 and 1000 from Pelikan, but... you
can guess.

I can't say I'm impressed by the smaller offerings from Delta and Stipula.
They are neither as elegant or well-finished as their bigger cousins.

Grrr

Trevor