The Love of Solitude and Silence:

Traudel

Mar 16, 2010, 11:55:49 AM3/16/10
The Love of Solitude and Silence:

Raise your eyes to God in heaven and pray because of your sins and
shortcomings. Leave vanity to the vain. Set yourself to the things which God
has commanded you to do. Close the door upon yourself and call to you Jesus,
your Beloved. Remain with Him in your cell, for nowhere else will you find
such peace. If you had not left it, and had not listened to idle gossip, you
would have remained in greater peace. But since you love, sometimes, to hear
news, it is only right that you should suffer sorrow of heart from it.
--Thomas ą Kempis, From the Imitation of Christ, Chapter 20

Meditation for troubled times:
Simplicity is the keynote of a good life. Choose the simple things always.
Life can become complicated if you let it be so. You can be swamped by
difficulties if you let them take up too much of your time. Every difficulty
can be either solved or ignored and some thing better substituted for it.
Love the humble things of life. Reverence the simple things. Your standard
must never be the world's standard of wealth and power.
--From Twenty-Four Hours a Day

<<>><<>><<>>
March 16th - Saint Aristibule, Apostle of Britain
(Also known as Arwystli Hen (the aged), Aristobulus, Aristobulus of the 70)

Died c. 1st century, according to legend he was martyred in Wales and buried
at Glastonbury Commemorated March 16 (also Oct. 31)

He has been identified with Zebedee, the father of the "sons of Thunder,"
Saints James and John. Hippolytus writing in AD 160, the Martyrologies of
the Greek Church, (and others) state that he preached in Britain and was
Bishop there.

Apostle Aristobulus of the Seventy the Bishop of Britain
http://ocafs.oca.org/Caption.asp?FSID=100816

The Holy Apostle Aristobulus of the Seventy was born on Cyprus. He and his
brother, the holy Apostle Barnabas of the Seventy, accompanied the holy
Apostle Paul on his journeys. St. Aristobulus is mentioned by the Apostle
Paul in the Epistle to the Romans (Rom 16:10).

St. Paul made Aristobulus a bishop and sent him to preach the Gospel in
Britain, where he converted many to Christ. He endured the torments and
malice of the pagans, and eventually baptized them.

St. Aristobulus died in Britain among the people he had evangelized. His
memory is celebrated on October 31 and also on the Synaxis of the Seventy
Apostles January 4.

Holy Apostle Aristobulus of the Seventy, first Bishop of Britain (1st c.)
http://www.abbamoses.com/months/march.html

"He was the brother of the Apostle Barnabas and was born in Cyprus. He was a
follower of the Apostle Paul, who mentions him in his Epistle to the Romans
(16:10). when the great Apostle Paul created many bishops for different
parts of the world, he made this Aristobulus bishop of Britain (i.e.
England). In Britain there was a wild people, pagan and wicked, and
Aristobulus endured among them unmentionable torments, misfortunes and
malice. They smote him without mercy, dragged him through the streets,
mocked him and jeered at him. But in the end this holy man came to success
by the power of the grace of God. He enlightened the people, baptized them
in the name of Christ the Lord, built churches, ordained priests and deacons
and finally died there in peace and went to the Kingdom of the Lord whom he
had served so faithfully." (Prologue) Note: in the Greek calendar he is
commemorated on March 15.

<><><><>
"The more one mortifies his natural inclinations, the more he becomes
capable of receiving the divine inspirations, and the more he gains in
virtue"
--St. Francis de Sales

The celebrated Father Laynez, one of the companions of St. Ignatius, by
means of this practice arrived at great purity of mind and imperturbable
tranquillity of soul.

(Taken from the book "A Year with the Saints". February - Humility)

Bible Quote:
But he seeing their thoughts, said to them: Every kingdom divided against
itself, shall be brought to desolation, and house upon house shall fall.
(Luke 11:17)

<><><><>
To Obtain Holy Perseverance.

O Queen of Heavens, I, who was once a miserable slave of Lucifer,
now dedicate myself to thee, to be thy servant forever;
I offer myself to thee, to be thy servant forever;
I offer myself to honor thee, and serve thee during my whole life;
do thou accept me, and refuse me not, as I should deserve.
O my Mother, in thee have I placed all my hopes,
from thee do I expect every grace. I bless and thank God,
who in his mercy has given me this confidence in thee,
which I consider a pledge of my salvation. Alas, miserable
wretch that I am, I have hitherto fallen, because I have not
had recourse to thee. I now hope that, through the merits
of Jesus Christ and thy prayers, I have obtained pardon.
But I may again lose divine grace; the danger is not past.
My enemies do not sleep. How many temptations have I still
to conquer! Ah, my most sweet Lady, protect me, and permit
me not again to become their slave; help me at all times.
I know thou wilt help me, and that with thy help I shall conquer,
if I recommend myself to thee; but this what I fear--I fear
that in time of danger I may neglect to call upon thee,
and thus be lost. I ask thee, then, for this grace; obtain that,
in the assaults of hell, I may always have recourse to thee,
saying, Mary help me. My Mother, permit me not to lose my God.
-Amen